Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Scenes from Films that Have Scarred You For Life

This would typically illicit waterlogged memories from childhood of watching the elevators open and the blood rushing out in "The Shining". My parents were very lax with rules when I was growing up and I was somehow able to watch the following film on TV at a very young age by myself (bad idea!). %0D %0D I have to say the scenes from a film that have potentially scarred me the most are from the 1982 Jill Clayburgh film "I'm Dancing As Fast as I Can". I think I might've been about seven or eight years old. In the film, Clayburgh plays real-life Emmy Award-winning documentary filmmaker, Barbara Gordon. Against her doctor's orders she tries to detox in her apartment from a severe addiction to Valium, cold turkey. Her live-in boyfriend (who is, himself, an alcoholic and played by the extremely creepy Nicol Williamson) is helping her by, essentially, not letting her leave the house. There's a scene where he is passed out drunk and she is trying to creep out of her apartment. He catches her, beats the ever-living shit out of her and then when she comes to, she's tied to a chair in their bedroom, bruised and bloodied. It might be the domestic abuse that arises out of what was a simple addiction plotline, but it is so horrifying as to almost eclipse the dark hell of withdrawal Clayburgh portrays. I think a man punching a woman is extremely difficult to watch for some reason.%0D %0D She eventually gets out of the situation by pretending that they have a dinner engagement with another couple. She convinces her boyfriend that she'd better call them and make up some excuse so they don't come looking for her. When he agrees and gets the couple on the telephone, she starts screaming for help. They eventually come over and save her. %0D

by Anonymousreply 422October 15, 2018 11:49 AM

We did this a while ago after someone posted how the robot woman in Superman III scarred them for life.

by Anonymousreply 1June 15, 2011 7:41 PM

In the 80s remake of Cat People, a zookeeper has his arm torn off by one of the cats. I caught only that one scene on HBO back around 1984 and was scarred for life.

by Anonymousreply 2June 15, 2011 7:46 PM

The child-catcher in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. I will never be able to erase that scene where he hangs upside down outside the window from my brain.

by Anonymousreply 3June 15, 2011 7:49 PM

I have been spooked by a few movies, like the original Dracula with Bella Lagosi and Hitchcock's Psycho, but I long ago kind of got over the spook. They were movies after all.

by Anonymousreply 4June 15, 2011 7:56 PM

Rosemarys Baby. "It's eyes what is wrong with it's eyes?"

by Anonymousreply 5June 15, 2011 7:59 PM

The scene in The Birds when the schoolchildren are attacked. I screamed so much I had to be taken out of the theatre.

by Anonymousreply 6June 15, 2011 8:00 PM

The scene in Valley of the Dolls when Helen Lawson's wig gets snatched off. I still get goosebumps.

by Anonymousreply 7June 15, 2011 8:01 PM

The exploding head in Scanners. The girl being hung on the meathook in the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Poo eating in Salo. Willem Dafoe cumming blood all over Charlotte Gainsbourg in Antichrist.

by Anonymousreply 8June 15, 2011 8:05 PM

Vincent Price in THE TINGLER!! The theatre had buzzers under the seat and whenever the creature appeared the buzzers would go off. In the film the only way you could get the "tinger" off of you was to scream...%0D kids went running out to the lobby, myself included. LOL!%0D %0D Fox Theatre in Springfield, Mo.

by Anonymousreply 9June 15, 2011 8:06 PM

Nothing's more sad than some old movie queen, hunched over her ancient Tandy desktop, going on about a MOVIE "scarring" her for life. MARY!

by Anonymousreply 10June 15, 2011 8:12 PM

I didn't see a lot of films as a kid but the vampire floating outside of the window in 'Salem's Lot? Burned into my memory.%0D %0D I also got really freaked out by the ep of the Brady Bunch where Greg's hair turns green thanks to the shampoo that Bobby and Oliver sell to him. Something about the green hair and Greg freaking out/being helpless sent my mary ass over the edge. I sobbed and sobbed.

by Anonymousreply 11June 15, 2011 8:18 PM

Actually, bitter old hateful queen R10, I think these threads are a great way to pick up movies that I might've missed or never even heard of. Like the thread a couple weeks ago about moving scenes without dialogue. I added several films to my Netflix queue based on recommendations here. %0D %0D Are your scars on the outside, too? %0D

by Anonymousreply 12June 15, 2011 8:23 PM

Dead Ringers with Jeremy Irons. Those twin gynecologists were creepy enough to begin with, but as they descended into madness and drug abuse it became really disturbing. All I have to say is "custom made surgical instruments". Yikes.%0D %0D

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13June 15, 2011 8:37 PM

There was a movie I saw with a dog (German Shepherd?) climbing up a tree and eating a cat. Freaked me out. I want to say it was Man's Best Friend, with Ally Sheedy, but I'm not 100% sure. The dog was some sort of robot/mutant/freak think. Anyone else remember this?

by Anonymousreply 14June 15, 2011 8:40 PM

R11 was so freaked out that he forgot that Greg's hair turned orange.

by Anonymousreply 15June 15, 2011 8:42 PM

I saw a picture of a demasked Darth Vader on a metal lunch box at Woolworth's and I couldn't sleep in my own bed for months.

I saw a trailer for "The Hand" and it started all over again, though it extended to a fear of baths. I expected it to climb the side of the bathtub and plop into the water with me. I expected it to grab my ankle if I stepped off the bed.

Then the trailer for "Jaws" meant that I could not go into a swimming pool for years nor take a bath alone. I "knew" that a shark could not be in a swimming pool. I "knew" it was absolutely impossible for a shark to fit through a faucet. But, just the idea of it was enough to cause major anxiety for years. I would cry and scream about baths if my mom gestured to leave the bathroom. What a ridiculous child I was. I think this went on until I was eight and only stopped when I started taking showers. Even now, I am uncomfortable taking baths when noone else is home. Creepy.

My poor mother should have sent me to a shrink, but she wanted me to be riddled with bizarre anxieties just like her.

by Anonymousreply 16June 15, 2011 8:42 PM

Saw Willy Wonka when it first came out in 1971. The theater was packed so we had no choice but to sit up front.

The Tunnel Boat scene was what did me in.

by Anonymousreply 17June 15, 2011 8:43 PM

Bambi's mother dying!!!

by Anonymousreply 18June 15, 2011 8:44 PM

The opening credits of Gigli

by Anonymousreply 19June 15, 2011 8:44 PM

I hear you R16. I had the same fear of swimming pools and tubs irrational though it was.

by Anonymousreply 20June 15, 2011 8:48 PM

When the kid "takes care" of Old Yeller

by Anonymousreply 21June 15, 2011 8:49 PM

The scene in The Pit and the Pendulum where they open a crypt. The sight of the women who is basically turned to stone, frozen, with her mouth open as if to scream and her eyes filled with terror, and her hands pushing up on the lid of the crypt. To this day I am afraid of being buried alive.

by Anonymousreply 22June 15, 2011 9:03 PM

I just remembered another scene that haunted me for years. I have no idea what it is from so maybe some of you can place it. It involves an older woman in a bathtub being forced to hod a hair dryer by some "bad guy" who was pointing a gun at her. She was electricuted and died. I remember how terrified she looked as she accepted her fate and took the hair dryer. Anyone remember this scene? I'm telling you...baths are creepy.

by Anonymousreply 23June 15, 2011 9:05 PM

Al Pacino slam dancing in Cruising

by Anonymousreply 24June 15, 2011 9:07 PM

Liza singing "Single Ladies" during the gay wedding scene in Sex & The City 2.

by Anonymousreply 25June 15, 2011 9:10 PM

JAWS - I was a kid when it came out. I can't believe my parents let me see it. To this day I am afraid of deep waters.

PIRANHA - the first one. My older brother took me to see this one. Again, what were my parents thinking. I still remember the scene where a teacher is on an inflated inner tube and gets pulled into the water and sinks to the bottom.

THE FEARLESS VAMPIRE KILLERS - I remember watching this on TV with my parents. I was probably five or six years old and this was my first vampire film. For years and years I would check under my bed before going to sleep to make sure there are no vampires hidden underneath. Also, I had this fixation that a vampire would bite the right side of my neck, so I covered myself up to my neck even in the hottest nights of the summer.

I was at a birthday party when another kid, a boy, told us to turn the lights off, so he could tell us about this new film he saw. It was CARRIE. Just hearing about the film made me not want to see it for years.

Same thing with the original HALLOWEEN and several years later with ALIEN. I heard some kids talking about these movies and I avoided them till I was in high school. ALIEN is one of my favorites now.

Somehow, I avoided seeing PSYCHO.

by Anonymousreply 26June 15, 2011 9:14 PM

I remember seeing the original Omen in the Seventies, and not being able to sleep afterward. The combination of sound editing, visuals and cinematography was compelling. There was not one particular scene (but the jackal in the crypt, the photographs, and the eyes of little Damien were downright spooky.

Omen II and III were laughable.

by Anonymousreply 27June 15, 2011 9:16 PM

I remember the scene in the original The Hitcher when the woman (Jennifer Jason Leigh?) is tied to two trucks and torn in half.%0D %0D I also remember some very disturbing visuals from Jacobs Ladder staying with me for MONTHS after. That whole movie creeped me out.

by Anonymousreply 28June 15, 2011 9:22 PM

The Blob%0D %0D Those Japanese Movies with giant flies/ants/scorpions/spiders%0D %0D and, believe it or not...%0D %0D ...any scene from Thunderbirds or whatever it's called. Those fucking puppets were freaky and the equivalent of the Boogeyman to my 6-yr-old mind.

by Anonymousreply 29June 15, 2011 9:30 PM

There was some movie I saw on HBO years ago where tigers overran this house somewhere in like Africa and one of the tigers ate the maid as the family tried to escape.

by Anonymousreply 30June 15, 2011 9:45 PM

I remember that. And although I don't remember the movie Edie Adams played that role. That much I do remember..%0D %0D %0D A scene in 7th VOYAGE OF SINBAD where a snake charmer was dancing with her snake, a python I believe. The snake started to choke her and that stop motion film animation called superdynamation took over with image of a fake snake and snake charmer.. but it scared the fuck out of me.

by Anonymousreply 31June 15, 2011 9:45 PM

The Russian roulette thing in "Deer Hunter."

by Anonymousreply 32June 15, 2011 9:49 PM

The blueberry girl in Willy Wonka:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33June 15, 2011 9:50 PM

[quote]I didn't see a lot of films as a kid but the vampire floating outside of the window in 'Salem's Lot? Burned into my memory.

Mine, too, lol. And I saw plenty of horror films.

Another: The cow getting "needled" in Invasion of the Saucer Men.

by Anonymousreply 34June 15, 2011 9:50 PM

The post belwo was for R16 at R23- re the blow dryer bathtub scene. Sorry!%0D %0D I remember that. And although I don't remember the movie Edie Adams played that role. That much I do remember

by Anonymousreply 35June 15, 2011 9:52 PM

A scene from the 1970s made-for-TV movie, "Frankenstein: The True Story" (starring Michael Sarrazin and Jane Seymour.%0D %0D A severed hand was kept floating in a tank of murky green water, which was behind a locked wooden door. The hand started rapping at the door to be let out, and then started inching along the laboratory floor.%0D %0D For a month, I'd jump every time there was a knock at our door.

by Anonymousreply 36June 15, 2011 9:55 PM

In the 7th Voyage of Sinbad, it was a cobra woman who was getting strangled by her own cobra arm. Creepy%0D %0D and that two headed bird thing was pretty creepy too.%0D %0D %0D %0D although openly gay actor Kerwin Mathews was hot, hot hot!%0D %0D trailer at link.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37June 15, 2011 9:57 PM

The death scene in Looking for Mr. Goodbar. Brilliantly done although very creepy the way it was shot with that strobe lighting.

by Anonymousreply 38June 15, 2011 9:58 PM

Number 17 in Dawson't 50-Load Weekend. I still break out in a cold sweat...earrings...caftans...

by Anonymousreply 39June 15, 2011 10:04 PM

[quote]There was some movie I saw on HBO years ago where tigers overran this house somewhere in like Africa and one of the tigers ate the maid as the family tried to escape. That movie is called "Savage Harvest", r30. It starred Tom Skerritt and Michelle Phillips. I saw it on HBO a long time ago too, and loved it. I have been trying to find it ever since. Last I checked, it's not available on DVD yet. The escape at the end was awesome.

by Anonymousreply 40June 15, 2011 10:06 PM

The rape scene in the original "Death Wish".

by Anonymousreply 41June 15, 2011 10:07 PM

Cat's Eye with Drew Barrymore. I saw it when I was about 5 or 6. The scene where the troll steals her breathe while she's asleep left me terrified for years.%0D %0D %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 42June 15, 2011 10:12 PM

A really low budget slasher film called "Silent Night, Bloody Night" I saw when I was a kid. There is a sepiatone flashback sequence towards the end of the film where inmates from an insane asylum are turned loose on a house of unsuspecting guests. One of the inmates takes a wine glass and smashes it into the eyes of a drunken sleeping man at the dining table. I was so scared, I had to turn of the TV. I couldn't sleep that night, and had bad dreams for months.

by Anonymousreply 43June 15, 2011 10:24 PM

[quote]JAWS - I was a kid when it came out. I can't believe my parents let me see it. To this day I am afraid of deep waters.

Me too, and I hate to tell you this, but most shark attacks occur in less than 3 feet of water.

(That fact was in the newspaper shortly after Jaws came out--as if I wasn't scared enough already.)

by Anonymousreply 44June 15, 2011 10:28 PM

1) the flying monkeys in the wizard of oz.

2) some movie about a bus full of teens that gets crushed when the bus gets stuck on train tracks

3) not a film, but i was horrified by the blind school burning down on little house on the prairie

by Anonymousreply 45June 15, 2011 10:32 PM

When I was little we stayed up late to watch old horror movies in the summer on the weekend.%0D The Night of the Hunter scared the crap out of me! %0D %0D There were several memorable horror scenes in the movie, but the one I will never forget, that gives me knots in my stomach to this day, was the scene with Shelley Winters underwater, sitting up in that car with her throat slit. Dead. Talk about a horror movie!%0D %0D That movie is a classic. Eeerie, haunting filled with terror, and there was no special effects, no blood and guts dripping off the screen. It was shot in black and white.

by Anonymousreply 46June 15, 2011 10:37 PM

r2, what about that scene where Nastassja Kinski is in the bathroom, looking at herself in the mirror and reaches down into her pussy and then eats something she gets from it. What the hell was that about?!%0D %0D Carrie's tampon terror at the beginning of the Stephen King novel is just too raw for me - Spacek's horrified look makes me pity and hate her at the same time. That fucks with my head.

by Anonymousreply 47June 15, 2011 10:44 PM

Love that film, R47.

by Anonymousreply 48June 15, 2011 10:47 PM

That scene in Sand Pebbles where the old coolie is crushed to death by the engine terrified me as a kid. The way they made it clear that the engine basically turned him to mush was more than I could handle.

by Anonymousreply 49June 15, 2011 10:48 PM

I will never, ever have wire hangers in my house after seeing Mommie Dearest as a young child.

by Anonymousreply 50June 15, 2011 10:54 PM

Some cheesy 70s TV movie about a girl from a rich family who gets buried alive. Freaked me out for a whole summer.

by Anonymousreply 51June 15, 2011 10:54 PM

The headless horseman coming over the covered bridge in Disney's Legend of Sleepy Hollow scared the shit out of me

by Anonymousreply 52June 15, 2011 11:02 PM

>>Bella Lagosi

Oh, Dear.

That being said, the film, 'Dante's Inferno' - all those scenes of Hell - scared the piss out of me. I was about four.

by Anonymousreply 53June 15, 2011 11:15 PM

I saw Strangers on a Train on television when I was a youngster. It scared me away from carousels for years and years.

by Anonymousreply 54June 15, 2011 11:19 PM

Sybil!

by Anonymousreply 55June 15, 2011 11:24 PM

"Night of the Living Dead." My sister and I watched it one night when we were kids, and the whole thing scared the hell out of us.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56June 15, 2011 11:27 PM

The baby in Eraserhead. I still wish I had never seen that.

by Anonymousreply 57June 15, 2011 11:32 PM

[R46] "Night of the Hunter" is a great movie! The only one that Charles Laughton ever directed.

by Anonymousreply 58June 15, 2011 11:32 PM

Night of the Hunter is on TCM tonight.

by Anonymousreply 59June 15, 2011 11:40 PM

R27, Omen II had plenty of terror in it - that one guy got sliced in half by an elevator cable. That alone freaked me out more than ever about riding in them.

by Anonymousreply 60June 15, 2011 11:41 PM

There is a movie that still slightly haunts me 30 years after I saw it. I had to google it to make sure that I'm remembering correctly since I only saw it once on TV long ago. %0D %0D "See No Evil" is a 1971 Mia Farrow movie, although I must have seen it in the late 70's or early 80's. She was blind and was visiting the ranch/estate of her aunt and uncle. While she was away one day, a dude came to the estate and killed everyone there. I remember we only saw the guy's cowboy boots which each had a white star on them. %0D %0D The part that really sticks with me is when Mia Farrow comes home that night. Since she's blind she doesn't see the dead bodies that we know are there in the house. She shares a room with a cousin and somehow knew that her body was in/on her bed, but thinks the girl is sleeping when she comes in. She goes to speep with that dead body just across the room from her. God that creeped me out!%0D %0D Then the next morning she gets up to take a bath and starts filling the tub with water, not seeing that another dead family member is in the tub. I can't remember which body she eventually finds first, but she shortly finds (by touch, of course) them all slaughtered in different rooms of the house. %0D %0D Spending an entire night and morning in a house full of brutally murdered people has always been a nightmare to me since seeing that film. I'd like to see it again sometime to see if it still has any affect on me. %0D %0D The killer comes back to the house later that day because he realized he left his bracelet (according to wikipedia) behind. Then it becomes a psycho killer chases blind girl movie. But the audience, like Mia Farrow, never sees the guy's face until the very end. Until then it's just those damned cowboy boots.

by Anonymousreply 61June 15, 2011 11:42 PM

When I was a kid there was a commercial for a movie called "The Legend Of Boggy Creek" that freaked me the fuck out. The first image was of rippling swamp water. I used to run from the room at that image, fearing what was going to come next.

To this day I can't remember what was in the body of this commercial that scared me so much. But the sight of pond water rippling still causes the hairs on my arm to stand up. Go fig.

by Anonymousreply 62June 15, 2011 11:47 PM

The elevator scene in "Dressed to Kill."

"Death Wish II": the scene where Bronson's daughter jumps out a window to get away from her rapists and is impaled on a metal fence.

R45--the bus movie--I remember that movie. I think Stephanie Zimbalist was in it.

by Anonymousreply 63June 15, 2011 11:48 PM

All scenes of Madonna in the movie "Swept Away".

by Anonymousreply 64June 15, 2011 11:53 PM

Not a horror movie, but my parents used to have rousing arguements. Shouting matches. I never saw my father hit my mother. He usually just left. He was a scarey bsatard. Especially when drunk. But I never saw him get pohysical.%0D %0D So I was about 10 and we were watching The Godfather on Cable, and the scene where Carlo beats the crap out of Connie, chases her in the bathroom and she's howling and you can hear him hitting her. It literally makes me sick to my stomach to this day.

by Anonymousreply 65June 15, 2011 11:59 PM

When I was about 8 or 9, I was on vacation with the family and we went to see a movie. For some reason my parents chose a movie with Charlton Heston called "The Omega Man" ("I Am Legend" with Will Smith is the remake). That movie scared the hell out of me. In this version the disease turned everyone ghostly white and their eyes went all white and freaky looking and they only came out at night. I seriously had nightmares about that movie for a few years. I was always afraid those pale faced guys were going to come and make me one of them. I wouldn't even watch the movie again til I was in my 20s LOL And when I did of course, there was nothing scary about it. It's beyond tame compared to the movies 9 year olds see today.

by Anonymousreply 66June 16, 2011 12:23 AM

Nothing I've ever seen in a film scars me more than people who do not know the difference between "illicit" and "elicit". %0D %0D Pure terror, I tell you.

by Anonymousreply 67June 16, 2011 12:26 AM

I saw In Cold Blood at a tender age, and there is no way, no fucking way, you could ever get me to live in a house out in the country.

I drive down the interstate and look over at the farm houses sitting all by themselves in the middle of nowhere, and it just baffles me that people can live out there knowing that any psycho can decide to pull off the road and murder them all on any given night.

by Anonymousreply 68June 16, 2011 12:32 AM

I couldn't definitively ID the scene, but it's from "A Woman Under the Influence," when the family is sitting at the dinner table and Mabel (Gena Rowlands) is waving her freak flag loudly. Terrifying.

by Anonymousreply 69June 16, 2011 12:38 AM

I'm quite old and was totally freaked out as a child by the The Fly with Vincent Price....the scene where the fly with the human face is caught in a spider's web at the end. I am still to this day disgusted by flies.%0D %0D Also freaked out as a kid by frogs because of the scene in I Love Lucy when she's in some western musical number and the kid she's been babysitting loses his pet frog and it jumps down her shirt. I could not be anywhere near an uncaged jumping frog, even today.%0D %0D Eeeeeek!

by Anonymousreply 70June 16, 2011 12:47 AM

The dead guy on the running tractor scene in "Let's Scare Jessica to Death"%0D %0D The kid pounding the sides of the tub while being drowned in "The Changeling" (George C. Scott)%0D %0D The movie "Maryjane" has a scene where somebody runs across the street in front of a truck or bus or something and gets his pot-addled head squashed into a pool of blood.%0D %0D The farmer getting ploughed in "What's The Matter With Helen?"

by Anonymousreply 71June 16, 2011 12:53 AM

When Marcellus gets raped by those two hillbillies in Pulp Fiction. It was extremely racist and disturbing.

by Anonymousreply 72June 16, 2011 1:12 AM

I feel really sorry for kids today. Horror movie commercials are terrifying. They play them at all times too.

by Anonymousreply 73June 16, 2011 1:20 AM

Adore getting stomped in DAY OF THE LOCUST.%0D %0D The little girl with the glasses getting attacked in THE BIRDS.

by Anonymousreply 74June 16, 2011 1:22 AM

The Chauffeur from "Burnt Offerings"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75June 16, 2011 1:31 AM

Bill Sykes kills Shani Wallis! I was six.

by Anonymousreply 76June 16, 2011 1:33 AM

in Disney's LADY AND THE TRAMP, a rat gets into the house and is shown on the edge of the baby's bassinet. Totally freaked me out as a kid - and still does.

by Anonymousreply 77June 16, 2011 1:48 AM

Oh, and the very end of Day Of The Dolphin. Destroyed my sense of safety. (Awful movie, I know. But I was a kid.)

by Anonymousreply 78June 16, 2011 2:03 AM

Yes, Death Wish was bad. The scenes in the movies of women being raped was hard to take and I still remember it to this day.

by Anonymousreply 79June 16, 2011 2:04 AM

When Marcellus dances the Shipoopi.

by Anonymousreply 80June 16, 2011 2:12 AM

while the Excorcist had many surprising scenes, what got me was early in the film: Regan being tested & having that huge needle placed into her juglar vein; the blood pulsing out in streams until they cap it ... OMG !

by Anonymousreply 81June 16, 2011 2:13 AM

I can honestly say that not one movie scene has ever really freaked me out, much less "scarred me for life." I guess you guys are just a bunch of pussies (not that we didn't already know that).

by Anonymousreply 82June 16, 2011 2:26 AM

This film didn't scar me for life, but it freaked me the fuck out when I was kid and saw it on TV. It features a young Sondra Locke (alongside Robert Shaw and Sally Kellerman) as a 16 year old whose only friends are dolls. The clip is the last part of the film. Don't miss the very end!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83June 16, 2011 2:38 AM

Definitely Jaws.%0D %0D When I swim in the ocean, and "something" passes by my leg.. I always think, oh shit.

by Anonymousreply 84June 16, 2011 2:41 AM

The scene in 'American History X' involving a guy's jaw and a streetside curb. I can't really describe it any further because it makes me shudder just thinking about it. %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 85June 16, 2011 3:00 AM

r85, oh god, I remember that..

by Anonymousreply 86June 16, 2011 3:11 AM

The film where Laurence Olivier goes to work on Dustin Hoffman's teeth in Marathon Man forever changed my thoughts about dentists.

by Anonymousreply 87June 16, 2011 3:14 AM

"Sisters" when the guy she picked up brings the sister a birthday cake and she stabs him to death with the knife he brought to cut the cake. Then he crawls over to a window and scrawls "help me" on the window in his blood.

by Anonymousreply 88June 16, 2011 3:38 AM

[quote] any scene from Thunderbirds or whatever it's called. Those fucking puppets were freaky and the equivalent of the Boogeyman to my 6-yr-old mind.

Those puppets always creeped me the fuck out too.

by Anonymousreply 89June 16, 2011 3:57 AM

[quote] Some cheesy 70s TV movie about a girl from a rich family who gets buried alive. Freaked me out for a whole summer.

I remember that movie..it was freaky and started my lifelong fear of being buried alive.

by Anonymousreply 90June 16, 2011 4:03 AM

R51, I think this is the TV movie that freaked us out: The Longest Night

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91June 16, 2011 4:06 AM

This has probably been done in more than one movie. I can't remember specifically what film I saw it in, but I clearly remember someone being murdered by binoculars. They were trick binoculars. Some guy gave them to some other guy to use knowing full well what was going to happen. When the man put them up to his eyes, spikes popped out of each eyepiece and into his skull. To this day I think about that whenever I use them. %0D %0D I wish I knew were I'd seen it. It must have been in the later 70's on TV. But my mom was pretty strict about not letting me see any horror films so I have no idea what I watched that left this image imprinted.

by Anonymousreply 92June 16, 2011 4:13 AM

I have no idea the title, or anything other than the scene I saw on a neighbor's tv in the early seventies. It was a woman in a bamboo cage that was being lowered onto a fire.

I can still vividly see it.

by Anonymousreply 93June 16, 2011 4:21 AM

I don't remember the name of this. I saw it as a kid. Two couples are on a road trip vacation in an RV and they witness a satanic cult killing someone in the woods. The cult then stalks them for days, with awful things happening, as they try to get away. The last scene where they are in the RV at night, thinking they're finally safe, getting the martinis going when suddenly... That last scene gave me nightmare for weeks.

by Anonymousreply 94June 16, 2011 6:18 AM

There was a film in the 80's called "Fear No evil" that was about the antichrist. There was a scene where the teenage antichrist killed a dog and drank it's blood that to this day makes me wretch

by Anonymousreply 95June 16, 2011 6:23 AM

No, R82.

Its more likely that witnessing the gruesome murder of your drug-addicted prostitute mother and then spending the remainder of your childhood being passed from one foster home to another left you a bit desensitized to scary movies.

You probably microwaved kittens for fun as a teenager.

by Anonymousreply 96June 16, 2011 7:08 AM

Some cheesy 70s horror movie scared the shit out of me when I was a kid. It was about some guy who willed his family gifts after he died but because he hated his family, each gift murdered the family member. Completely stupid but scary when I was a kid.

by Anonymousreply 97June 16, 2011 7:52 AM

I somehow watched Psycho when I was 5 years old. To this day I'm still a little uneasy in the shower.

by Anonymousreply 98June 16, 2011 8:06 AM

R16, you and I are so similar. %0D %0D [quote]I "knew" it was absolutely impossible for a shark to fit through a faucet. But, just the idea of it was enough to cause major anxiety for years. %0D %0D On holidays and staying at my relative's house, there was a realistic toy shark in the upstairs bathtub. Do you think I could bear to be alone in the bathroom with it? %0D %0D And I was convinced there was a lagoon that ended exactly under my bed and that s shark would get me if I got out of it. No logic, but there you go. %0D %0D Also, on Dead Ringers - now THAT is a movie to freak out adults. Don't forget, it's surgical instruments for mutant women. %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 99June 16, 2011 9:49 AM

There is another DL thread running, "Twin Male Births (NSFW)"

Watch that, and then you'll have something to post here.

by Anonymousreply 100June 16, 2011 11:08 AM

R95, I remember that movie--do you remember the part where the pot-smoking bully rips his shirt open to reveal his large, voluptuous, female breasts? Then he proceeded to stab himself repeatedly, screaming "Fuck you, Andrew, fuck you!" More campy than anything else.

But I will admit the dog blood scene was vomitous.

by Anonymousreply 101June 16, 2011 11:47 AM

The last 10-15 minutes of "Martyrs". Even when you get past the gore of a human being flayed alive, the underlying motive why such atrocities were committed and the entire tone of the movie left my mind at a dark place that I wasn't able to leave for days.

by Anonymousreply 102June 16, 2011 11:52 AM

R92- Unless we are talking about a different movie there was a British horror film where a woman looked thru a pair of binoculars and she got spiked in the eyes when she turned the knobs. It came out in the 60's It was on TCM a few years ago. Sorry, I can't remember the name of the film.

by Anonymousreply 103June 16, 2011 11:52 AM

R92- Found it! HORRORS OF THE BLACK MUSEUM, a British film from 1959. They don't show the binocular death scene in the trailer (see link) but it was a woman who got it in the eyes!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104June 16, 2011 12:01 PM

[quote]"See No Evil" is a 1971 Mia Farrow movie, although I must have seen it in the late 70's or early 80's. She was blind and was visiting the ranch/estate of her aunt and uncle. While she was away one day, a dude came to the estate and killed everyone there. I remember we only saw the guy's cowboy boots which each had a white star on them. %0D %0D %0D %0D I remember that film with Mia Farrow. It was creepy. Think it's out on DVD now.

by Anonymousreply 105June 16, 2011 12:03 PM

[quote]The movie "Maryjane" has a scene where somebody runs across the street in front of a truck or bus or something and gets his pot-addled head squashed into a pool of blood.%0D %0D %0D Ah, but that movie had Fabian in it, my dream boyfriend when I was a very young gay...

by Anonymousreply 106June 16, 2011 12:05 PM

100 posts and no mention of "Return to Oz," the movie that scarred an entire generation?

by Anonymousreply 107June 16, 2011 12:12 PM

There was an old 1950s Alfred Hitchcock Presents TV show about several young nurses rooming together in an old house on a stormy night and hearing reports that there was a killer out on the loose in the neighborhood. It was slowly revealed that one of the nurses was the killer in drag. Blood-curdling, hair-raising suspense! %0D %0D I'm certain that Brian DePalma was influenced by this episode in making Dressed to Kill.

by Anonymousreply 108June 16, 2011 1:09 PM

[quote]I'm certain that Brian DePalma was influenced by this episode in making Dressed to Kill.

Nonsense! DePalma has never been influenced by anyone else's work. He's a true original.

by Anonymousreply 109June 16, 2011 1:26 PM

R68, I;ve never seen the film IN COLD BLOOD, but reading the book at 25 scarred me. My parents live out in the country and it freaks me out whenever I'm there.

by Anonymousreply 110June 16, 2011 1:34 PM

R61, saw SNE recently; it still holds up.

by Anonymousreply 111June 16, 2011 1:35 PM

Kolshak (sp?) The Night Stalker with Darrin McGavin gave me the creeps many nights. There is one scene I remember of a headless "horseman" (he was on a motorcycle), wielding a huge sword and killing people in parking garages that still makes me leery of parking garages.

I think most of these scenes impacted us because we were children and probably wouldn't have had the same effect if we were older when we saw them.

by Anonymousreply 112June 16, 2011 1:38 PM

R85 that remains the worse (fictional) thing I have ever seen on TV. Truly horrible, and I was kinda disappointed in Norton for doing it. I mean, there are limits (or should be).

by Anonymousreply 113June 16, 2011 1:39 PM

Kolchak.

by Anonymousreply 114June 16, 2011 1:41 PM

Someone mentioned Sybil. I think that's a good one. That television movie came out in the 70's. I was much too young to understand what exactly was going on, but those flashback scenes of abuse? Absolutely horrifying.

The actress that played the mom did scar me for life. I saw her in "Splendor in the Grass" some years later and recoiled in horror when I first saw her.

by Anonymousreply 115June 16, 2011 1:42 PM

Papillon. The guard's sexual advances.

by Anonymousreply 116June 16, 2011 1:46 PM

The Abominable Dr. Phibes was the precursor to the Saw tortures. Dr. Phibes (Vincent Price) killed all his victims in gruesome ways. One that sticks out is when a guy is in a car and goes to turn it on and some type of sand blasts out of a hole in the dashboard and shreds all his skin off.

by Anonymousreply 117June 16, 2011 1:49 PM

Thank you, thank you, thank you, R40. I have never encountered anyone else who knew what I was talking about. That sh#t terrified me. Thank you so much.%0D %0D There was also this tv movie on ABC years ago. I never was able to watch it, but it had to do with a schoolbus going over a cliff at night. I just remember the commercial showing this and it scared the crap out of me. This was in the late 70s and I had really no control over what I watched, so I really couldn't have watched it. Anyone else remember this?

by Anonymousreply 118June 16, 2011 1:49 PM

A couple of scenes from "The Strangler" with Victor Buono and Ellen Corby has stuck with me since I saw the movie as a kid back in the mid-60s.

I remember Buono calmly, methodically putting on his gloves before he strangled one of the victims. It was so spooky.

I also remember Ellen Corby berating her son, played by Buono. I remember that because she reminded me of my own mother.

Just FYI, no, I've never strangled anyone.

by Anonymousreply 119June 16, 2011 1:49 PM

Speaking of guards, Midnight Express extinguished any thoughts I might ever have had about trying to smuggle anything. It sort of cooled me on the idea of visiting Turkey, too.

by Anonymousreply 120June 16, 2011 1:50 PM

Some 70 cheesy Canadian sci fi movie about an alien invasion. The aliens were killing all the men. Scenes that stand out are a girl stepping on a tomato in a supermarket -then some screams and then another dead man. Children lined up against a fence looking at all the dead mean lining the streets.

To a 6 year old it was weird and stayed with me.

My baby sitter made me turn it off because there was some blood so I never got to see the end of the movie and nothing was resolved.

Another was some movie I watched one afternoon when I was a kid about some older woman who was molesting a young boy and then he killed her. Creepy stuff for an afternoon movie.

by Anonymousreply 121June 16, 2011 1:50 PM

Hah I found the clip on youtube. It's called Starship Invasions and basically it's the plot of the Happening with aliens.

M. Night is a thief!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122June 16, 2011 1:57 PM

Island of Terror is a 1966 movie with Peter Cushing. It's about a remote island community terrorized by tentacled silicates (they look like giant turtles with super long necks). When they bite you, it liquifies your bones and then they suck them out of you. Basically you suffocate as you turn to jelly because, with no ribcage, your skin presses against your lungs. You lay there like a blob of jelly slowly choking.

Scenes of flattened people dying stuck with me for a long time.

I remember discussing this movie before. It turns out the creature was actually in another movie first, a movie about multiple creatures, which did really bad, so then they devised a movie based around this one alone.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123June 16, 2011 2:05 PM

I was expecting more from that tomato, R121/R122.

by Anonymousreply 124June 16, 2011 2:06 PM

well now it's just camp fun. but when I was a kid I got the impression that stepping on the tomato might have caused the women in the dairy aisle to slit her wrists.

by Anonymousreply 125June 16, 2011 2:08 PM

R97, I think that was Arnold. Scared me too.

by Anonymousreply 126June 16, 2011 2:09 PM

Weren't we all scarred by the Dead Zone films in school that showed the dangers of playing near school buses?

by Anonymousreply 127June 16, 2011 2:11 PM

R51 and R91, I remember when that actually happened. It was the story of Barbara Jane Mackle, an Emory College student who was kidnapped in 1968. I was a young child at the time and it gave me nightmares.

Speaking of nightmares, I remember very vividly my mother accidentally breaking a window and badly cutting herself when I was young. While my dad took her to the ER, a neighbor teen stayed with us and plunked us down in front of the TV set. There was some weird movie, probably from the '50s, about an evil doctor and his girlfriend who imprisoned two young couples who had gotten stranded. I remember the less attractive of the two couples wound up being used as spare parts for the doctor, who needed an arm, and the GF. There was also a bed that was actually a guillotine. Of, course, the better-looking couple escape unscathed. I probably remember it so distinctly because of my mom cutting herself so badly and seeing the blood, but that movie freaked me out for a long time.

by Anonymousreply 128June 16, 2011 2:15 PM

Way back in the day, before HBO was on 24 hours a day and just started at 6pm or so, they used to show some pretty child-damaging stuff.

When I was maybe 8 or so, I sat down to watch "The Tin Drum." At one point early on, the mute boy is taken to a doctor. The doctor begins to examine him, and he screams. The scream is so powerful it shakes everything off the shelves in the office including a bunch of jars and whatnot on the top shelves. One of them contains a fetus that crashes on the floor.

I have no other recollections of the movie. I do, however, remember the couch I was sitting on and the blanket I had over me. I remember I was drinking a Fresca out of one of my mother's giant 70s tumblers. I was alone, but I still ran out of the room and went to my room. I was too afraid to turn off the TV because I didn't want to get that close.

To this day I am afraid of anything glass being above me because who knows what will happen. And, I have managed to never read "The Tin Drum" even though it was assigned to me twice in my educational career.

by Anonymousreply 129June 16, 2011 2:25 PM

R97, and R126 -- The preview for Arnold scared the hell out of me. I just remember there was a painting with moving eyes (or the eyes of someone watching from behind. Freaked me out.

by Anonymousreply 130June 16, 2011 2:41 PM

I was 11 when "Terminator 2" came out, so I was probably 12 or so when my dad got a VHS copy. I loved the movie but was absolutely terrified after the first viewing of the nuclear holocaust sequence (L.A. destroyed, mothers and children cowering, turning to ash and blowing away, Linda Hamilton bursting into flames before her skin explodes, etc.).

For years after that, I would watch the movie only up to the scene BEFORE that sequence, then I'd turn the movie off. I was too freaked out to even fast-forward through the scene ('cause you can still SEE the movie while fast-forwarding).

I was also terribly creeped out by the alien torture sequence at the end of "Fire In the Sky" (I was 12) and the first alien scene in "Communion" (I was 9 or 10). I can still see the shot of the alien head peeking out from behind the dresser and then quickly retreating as Christopher Walken catches a glimpse.

I noticed that "Fire In the Sky" was on Netflix instant a year or so ago, so I put it on and fast-forwarded to the scene at the end. I was still freaking out, wondering if I was only reinforcing my childhood fears about the scene, but I'm happy to report that I (finally) found the sequence a little cheesy and mostly un-scary.

by Anonymousreply 131June 16, 2011 2:51 PM

Lord, so many.... I was a very impressionable child and I was taken to far too many movies that were inappropriate for my age (born in 1967 - i.e. - I'm an old coot.)%0D %0D Death Wish (I was seven!) - That rape scene was cornea-blistering...%0D %0D Walking Tall (I think?) - An Indian being tortured with a lit cigarette held to his bare foot.%0D %0D One of the Billy Jack films - a bunch of children, some handicapped, being shot down graphically. %0D %0D Likewise, Soldier Blue had a bunch of Indian women and children being forced into a ravine/gulley and shot down.%0D %0D There was a starkness and grittiness to these 70s films that somehow made them seem more real in their action than today's counterparts, where style and computerized imagery prettifies things.%0D %0D Also, I recall Poltergeist scaring me - the scene where the man rips his own face off and then the part where the unbuilt swimming pool has coffins ad bodies coming up into it. That made me afraid to swim in my dad's pool at night!%0D %0D A non-film scene that scared the fuck out of me and still does was the appearance of BOB on Twin Peaks. It was just ultra-creepy to me for whatever reason and unnerved me greatly at a time when I thought I was past such a thing.

by Anonymousreply 132June 16, 2011 2:58 PM

BOB is totally real.

by Anonymousreply 133June 16, 2011 3:08 PM

My anal retentive son still tells people how horrible I was for putting "Ghostbusters" in the VCR when he was 6. When I was 6, I used to watch "Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein," and I watched all the old Lugosi movies, the Wolfman, etc. They were fun. Ghostbusters was a comedy.%0D %0D He screamed and made me turn it off. "Its a COMEDY," I told him. It's funny, it's a joke, it's not real!" %0D %0D He still holds it against me.

by Anonymousreply 134June 16, 2011 3:09 PM

There is one terrifying scene in "Body of Evidence" where Madonna mounts Willem Dafoe in some parking garage in what is supposed to be some "erotic" love scene. I truly have nightmares when I flash back to it.

by Anonymousreply 135June 16, 2011 3:15 PM

[quote] There was an old 1950s Alfred Hitchcock Presents TV show about several young nurses rooming together in an old house on a stormy night and hearing reports that there was a killer out on the loose in the neighborhood. It was slowly revealed that one of the nurses was the killer in drag.%0D %0D They weren't rooming together. They were doing private duty in a large house, owned by the incredibly healthy-looking patient, played by John Kerr. The outside of the house was the same frontage as the house Norman Bates and his mom lived in (Hitchkok was very frugal).%0D %0D Throughout the show, we are showed an open window in the basement, where they killer might enter. The young nurse Stella (played by the recently deceased Dana Winter), was supposed to have closed the window, but was too scared to do it, because she saw a mouse. Throughout the show, you are sure the killer will enter through the window. But the basement window was the McGuffin.%0D %0D The name of the show was "An Unlocked Window." You can watch it for free on Hulu.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136June 16, 2011 3:22 PM

Best review in Yahoo movies regarding Glitter:%0D %0D "This movie gave me cancer of the eye!"

by Anonymousreply 137June 16, 2011 3:35 PM

Certain episodes of Kolchak: The Night Stalker.

The headless motorcyclist and one about a swamp monster that emerged from the nightmares of a man in a sleep study.

There was a zombie episode, too - the hero had to crawl inside a crashed hearse, put special salt in the corpses mouth and sew it shut with needle and shut. While lying on top of the coffin. Before the thing woke up.

Possibly the grossest, scariest thing I've ever seen.

by Anonymousreply 138June 16, 2011 3:50 PM

This one didn't scar me for life, but it was a definite "WTF???": the opening scene from [italic]Ghost Ship.[/italic] Too bad the rest of the movie sucked.

by Anonymousreply 139June 16, 2011 3:54 PM

R139 are you talking about the part where everyone on deck is bisected?

Kolchak scared the crap out of me when I was young but I loved it. Never missed an episode.

by Anonymousreply 140June 16, 2011 3:57 PM

Aren't you thinking of "The Ghost and Mr. Chicken", R130?%0D %0D They couldn't get the bloodstains off the keys.%0D And they even used Bon Ami!!!

by Anonymousreply 141June 16, 2011 4:19 PM

The last scene in Don't Look Now when Donald Sutherland sees Julie Christie and the two sisters on the boat. Eerie and stays with you.%0D %0D I don%E2%80%99t remember much about the Disney film The Watcher in the Woods except for there being some cultish ritual in the woods and, of course, Bette Davis at her creepiest. Not good for a five year child!%0D %0D I also remember being really warped by the 70's remake of The Miracle Worker for some reason, the one with Patty Duke as Ann Sullivan this time around and Melissa Gilbert as Helen Keller. There was something really dirty and gross about Gilbert's interpretation of HK that makes me queasy today even just thinking about it.%0D

by Anonymousreply 142June 16, 2011 4:21 PM

Tatum getting her head crushed by the garage while stuck in the garage door as it rises to the top in Scream. Totally freaked me out!!

by Anonymousreply 143June 16, 2011 4:26 PM

ISLAND OF TERROR!!!%0D %0D the trailer!!%0D %0D doesn't give anything away.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144June 16, 2011 4:34 PM

A mini-series called The Dark Secret of Harvest Home creeped me out big time when I was a kid.

by Anonymousreply 145June 16, 2011 4:35 PM

Mr. Boogedy

by Anonymousreply 146June 16, 2011 4:37 PM

No doubt R145... the way the men's eyes were done after they knew the secret!!

by Anonymousreply 147June 16, 2011 4:51 PM

Hands down it was Caligula, when there was a group of Roman senators buried up to their necks in the arena and some big device, along the lines of a lawnmower, came forward and chopped their heads off as they were stuck there screaming. O.M.G....

by Anonymousreply 148June 16, 2011 4:55 PM

I wish they would replay Dark Secret of Harvest Home on one of those weird random cable channels one night.

by Anonymousreply 149June 16, 2011 4:57 PM

I agree R149. Never came out on VHS or DVD did it?%0D The book "Harvest Home" by Tom Tryon was quite the best seller when it first came out.

by Anonymousreply 150June 16, 2011 5:05 PM

THE TOWN THAT DREADED SUNDOWN. Do any of you remember this B slasher? I saw it as a kid and I remember there is a gruesome scene where the filler fits a blade on a trumpet and repeatedly stabs a woman with it. But the worst part was the ending where they show the guys feet disappearing in the traffic (you never see his face in the film) and some voice over that says something like: 'No one knows where he is now.'

Here's a trailer at the link, and some facts about the real murders the film is based on:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151June 16, 2011 5:07 PM

R150 it was released on VHS but they cut over an hour off of it and heavily edited the rest. I wish the full version was available on DVD.

by Anonymousreply 152June 16, 2011 5:12 PM

Another vote for the vampire boy bouncing up to the window in 'Salem's Lot...

by Anonymousreply 153June 16, 2011 5:21 PM

Taro! Caro! Salamon!

by Anonymousreply 154June 16, 2011 5:39 PM

Although not frightening, The Hotel New Hampshire featured a couple of scenes that disturbed me greatly. %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 155June 16, 2011 5:54 PM

[quote]filler fits

I meant the 'killer,' of course.

by Anonymousreply 156June 16, 2011 5:57 PM

[quote]Although not frightening, The Hotel New Hampshire featured a couple of scenes that disturbed me greatly.

That's the one where she bit his dick off when the car hit in the middle of the blowjob, right? Yeah, that one stuck with me too.

by Anonymousreply 157June 16, 2011 8:02 PM

Damn it! Never heard of THE TOWN THAT DREADED SUNDOWN. I tried youtube but it's been taken down. Sounds like an interesting film.And it stars Andrew Prine, (he of the legendary cock @ VIVA Magazine). VHS copies are going for $100.00 or more. Dang I want to see it.. the film I mean.

by Anonymousreply 158June 16, 2011 8:09 PM

I was taken to see a low rent documentary called The Legend of Bigfoot at the cinema in 1976 and was scared to go outside at night for the next year for fear that Bigfoot could be on the loose. Also the opening scenes of the Helter Skelter TV movie when the bodies are discovered and the maid comes running down the driveway.

by Anonymousreply 159June 16, 2011 8:45 PM

For some reason my mom and her friend decided it would be just dandy to take me along with them to see the horror movie "The Other." I would have been about eleven years old and it was one of the most frightening, miserable moviegoing experiences of my life, particularly the little boy impaled on the pitchfork and the demonic boy harrassing the helpless mute woman. Afterwards, we went and got ice cream. Every time I pass that ice cream parlor I involuntarily remember the sick feeling in my stomach hearing the scream of the dying child. That's entertainment!

by Anonymousreply 160June 16, 2011 9:15 PM

The final scene in "On The Beach", where the banner that says, "THERE IS STILL TIME........BROTHER", long after everyone has died from radiation poisoning. One of the most depressing films I've ever seen.

by Anonymousreply 161June 17, 2011 1:47 AM

The Other was a novel written by the same author who wrote The Harvest Home novel. Thomas Tryon who was also gay.

by Anonymousreply 162June 17, 2011 2:05 AM

[quote]That's the one where she bit his dick off when the car hit in the middle of the blowjob, right? Yeah, that one stuck with me too.

R157, that was in The World According To Garp, another John Irving book.

by Anonymousreply 163June 17, 2011 2:09 AM

There were some genuine scares in the original black and white House on Haunted Hill. The one scene that has stayed with me all my life and that scared the absolute shit out of me as a kid was the scene in the cellar where the young woman (who annoyingly screamed at any and everything and would take off running all the time, flailing her arms!) turns around and there is this gray haired old hag who just floats past her and out the door. The camera work on that face, which is right up next to the young woman's, is startling and creepy beyond words. The way the old hag just floats past her is chilling. It still is scary as shit, although the movie is a "fun scary" kind of movie.

by Anonymousreply 164June 17, 2011 3:18 AM

THE BRADY BUNCH - Hawaii Pt 2 when the tarantula crawled into Jan's bag and then crawled up Peter's bed covers. I think that's when my arachnophobia started.

by Anonymousreply 165June 17, 2011 4:13 AM

The scene where the spider goes down the thread and crawls over Sean Connery in Doctor No was pretty intense for little 6 year old me.

by Anonymousreply 166June 17, 2011 4:21 AM

I was 10 and having seen Star Wars and Close Encounters, you'd think a Disney sci-fi flick wouldn't bother me at all. Think again.%0D %0D The Black Hole is a mixed bag of a film, but it does have several sequences that have stuck with ever since I saw it 31 years ago, particularly this scene, where Anthony Perkins discovers the crew of the Cygnus aren't robots, leading to an unfortunate confrontation with Maximilian.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167June 17, 2011 5:31 AM

For you, R164

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 168June 17, 2011 1:04 PM

[quote]100 posts and no mention of "Return to Oz," the movie that scarred an entire generation?

Ha! I was a theater manager and I played this. A thousand seat palace with long aisles. First show, a matinee, this scene occurs and I swear twenty little kids came running up the aisles of the auditorium and out the doors into the lobby. Picture this scene in state of the art surround sound. The screams were everywhere. It happened every show to where we had to warn all parents with little kids it was PG and a little intense and of course we always got "it's OK, they'll be fine". Yet every show and we would have to stand by the glass front doors or those kids would have kept going right down the street.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169June 17, 2011 1:32 PM

You're right, r162, Tom Tryon did write the novel "The Other" is based on, and now that I think of it my mother and her friend knew very well what was in store when they took me to that movie, because I remember the friend describing the scene in the book (recreated in the movie to disgusting effect)in which the people discover they've been drinking wine from a cask with a dead baby in it.%0D %0D My personal philosophy of horror films is that on some level they should be fun, not something you need to see a counselor afterwards in order to deal with it. This was not fun. If I had absolute censorship powers I would be tempted to destroy every print of that movie so that no one would ever be subjected to it again, so if you're a fan of this film make sure I never become a censor.

by Anonymousreply 170June 17, 2011 1:52 PM

I'm surprised no one mentioned the alien bursting out of the chest in Alien. It didn't really scare me, but I remember the impact it had on moviegoers in general. It was considered very shocking.

by Anonymousreply 171June 17, 2011 2:46 PM

Harking back to OP's post, the scene with the snot running down Jill Clayburgh's nose in STARTING OVER. That traumatized me deeply.

by Anonymousreply 172June 17, 2011 3:29 PM

Gilbert Grape - All Scenes with the obese mom

by Anonymousreply 173June 17, 2011 11:13 PM

"Something Evil" always had me avoiding mason jars.%0D %0D "Crowhaven Farm" where they put the board on the Hope Lange's character and started crushing her with stones.%0D %0D But the worst was "Pet Cemetary" when the revived Gage slashes the Achilles tendon of the old man played by Fred Gwynne. Freaked me right the fuck out.

by Anonymousreply 174June 18, 2011 1:46 AM

I saw The Town That Dreaded Sundown when it was a theater release in the 1970s. For weeks afterward my friends and I would scare each other to death by holding a napkin (or whatever piece of cloth) up to our mouth and breathing heavily in and out. I do remember that being associated with the killer and that he rode into town on a train.

I too wish they would release a full version of The Dark Secret of Harvest Home on DVD. It was a very interesting mini-series and Bette Davis, being a native New Englander, was in her element as the Widow Fortune. It's funny; when I read the book (Harvest Home) I envisioned her as the Widow, so it was a dream come true when she actually played it.

The creepiest scene I've ever watched in a movie remains to this day the "Tomorrow Belongs To Me" sequence from Cabaret. The guy who starts singing is just so fucking eerie looking, but embodies "pure" Hitler Youth to a T. I think of that scene every time I hear Hannah Arendt's quote about evil being banal. And vice versa.

by Anonymousreply 175June 18, 2011 1:52 AM

that part in the prince of egypt where all the first born sons were killed

by Anonymousreply 176June 18, 2011 1:54 AM

The final scene from "Carrie."

A scene in the 1981 thriller "Dead and Buried" in which the camera pulls in close on the horrifically burned body of a car crash victim...except the corpse isn't....DEAD!

by Anonymousreply 177June 18, 2011 3:52 AM

[quote]"Crowhaven Farm" where they put the board on the Hope Lange's character and started crushing her with stones.

OMG, that was a vivid memory from my childhood that I remembered but could never put a name to the vision. I can't believe it was only a movie. What happened to all those movies?

by Anonymousreply 178June 18, 2011 4:16 AM

Return to Oz when she's about to have ECT.

A movie which title escapes me, it involved a girl dying/disappearing under a giant church bell (some supernatural thing).

Nightmare on Elm Street - scared the shit out of me.

by Anonymousreply 179June 18, 2011 4:27 AM

I was about 8 yrs old when I saw "Earthquake" in the theater in 1974. Great time except the part when that woman turn her head around to show the GIANT SHARDS OF GLASS IN HER BLOODY FACE! -- the slightest nick in my windshield gets fixed immediately.

by Anonymousreply 180June 18, 2011 4:29 AM

Not scarred but The Thing stayed with me for years.

by Anonymousreply 181June 18, 2011 5:28 AM

"The Dark Secret of Harvest Home" is on Youtube.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 182June 18, 2011 7:01 AM

The scene in Sex and the City 2 where Sarah Jessica Parker was in an HD close-up shot. I saw it in the theater and people in the audience were vomiting, they were so scared shitless. I still have nightmares about that scene, it was so gross and creepy.

by Anonymousreply 183June 18, 2011 8:00 AM

R182 the miniseries was over three hours long and was broadcast over two nights. The commercially released video cassette was cut back to 2 hours. Do you happen to know if this one on youtube is complete?

by Anonymousreply 184June 18, 2011 12:55 PM

R180, if you revisit that scene now, you'll see that while the stuntwoman's back is to the camera, the "glass" is already adhered to her face (she does a turn that accidentally reveals it) BEFORE the pane falls from the sky! Sloppy...%0D %0D R184, the main reason for that (and, yes, it sucks!) is that VHS tapes could only hold two hours of viewing, so anything that was longer than that either had to be cut down (!) or put on two cassettes, which was cost (and thus price) prohibitive... Thank God technology has advanced further.

by Anonymousreply 185June 20, 2011 11:57 AM

I avoid horror films, but one thing that stuck with me for a while was in the dreck that was Robocop 2. In it, a criminal's body was going to be used as the anti-Robocop, and his body was stripped away, leaving just the spine, brain and eyes. He was conscious, and what got me was the thought of a fully aware human, being able to see everything, but do nothing about anything.

Utterly shit film, but that bit had me lose sleep for a while.

by Anonymousreply 186June 20, 2011 12:32 PM

In the early 70s I saw a tv movie where a vacationing family is terrorized by a gang and there was a scene where they were in their motor home screaming and the gang had a microphone in the motor home that broadcast the screaming. It made me think you could never have fun because someone would ruin it.

by Anonymousreply 187June 20, 2011 3:29 PM

Remember the 80s miniseries "V" about the reptilian aliens disguised as humans who have come to Earth to secretly round up the human population and use them as food? There was one scene where a human collaborator got in trouble with his alien overlord and the alien told him he was going to be dinner that night. We last saw the punk human kid being dragged away to the alien's kitchen. I was very young at the time and that scene gave me chills. It's at the 3:00 mark here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 188June 20, 2011 3:36 PM

That sex scene from The Life of David Gale. Kevin Spacey RUINED sex for me for a long time after that. In fact, I can barely watch love scenes anymore.

by Anonymousreply 189June 20, 2011 3:36 PM

{quote]Kevin Spacey RUINED sex for me for a long time after that

I know how you feel.

by Anonymousreply 190June 20, 2011 4:02 PM

I saw something (or thought I saw something) but have never been able to figure out what it was. It was sort of like V or maybe Battlestar Gallactica, where the aliens were having a swanky party and all the important earthlings were invited. A group of humans got in. or were put in, an elevator and ended up going to the kitchen where they became dinner for the aliens. Anyone remember this? I remember freaking out about it for months!! LOL!

by Anonymousreply 191June 20, 2011 6:20 PM

[quote] The last scene in Don't Look Now when Donald Sutherland sees Julie Christie and the two sisters on the boat. Eerie and stays with you.

**SPOILER ALERT**

Not to mention, R142, the scene where the %E2%80%9Clittle girl%E2%80%9D he%E2%80%99s been chasing throughout the film finally turns around and is revealed to be a grotesque looking midget %E2%80%93 with a big knife in her hand. That was a shocker.

by Anonymousreply 192June 20, 2011 7:49 PM

Trilogy of Terror with Karen Black. That little African doll with the knife chasing her around her apt. Then at the end KB is crouched in the corner waiting to stab her mother when she comes home.

by Anonymousreply 193June 21, 2011 3:09 AM

R191 you're thinking of the first episode of the original Battlestar Galactica. I agree, that scene was creepy.

by Anonymousreply 194June 21, 2011 3:20 AM

R115--I know! Sybil's mother was terrifying. Oddly enough, the little girl who played Sybil also turned up in that other camp child abuse classic, "Mary Jane Harper Cried Last Night," starring Susan Dey (who must have taken legal action to have all the clips removed from YouTube, the bitch).

by Anonymousreply 195June 21, 2011 3:27 AM

Sybil's mom was PETRIFYING to me. I was way too young to see that (I think around 9 or 10, but I was impressionable.)%0D %0D Martine Bartlett. She had barely any career after that. Casting agents were probably scarred for life, too!

by Anonymousreply 196June 21, 2011 2:54 PM

Alfred Hitchcock Hour - Final Escape. I'm not sure how old I was when I saw it, but I think it gave me claustrophobia.

by Anonymousreply 197June 21, 2011 8:31 PM

Race with the Devil scared the shit out of me when I was kid.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 198June 21, 2011 10:54 PM

The "Doll of Death" episode of NIGHT GALLERY with Barry Atwater. It is the scariest evil doll story ever--ugh, just looking at it still creeps me out...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 199June 21, 2011 11:52 PM

[quote]That movie is called "Savage Harvest", [R30]. It starred Tom Skerritt and Michelle Phillips. I saw it on HBO a long time ago too, and loved it. I have been trying to find it ever since. Last I checked, it's not available on DVD yet.

[quote]Thank you, thank you, thank you, [R40]. I have never encountered anyone else who knew what I was talking about. That sh#t terrified me. Thank you so much.

There's another one with Tom Skerritt called "Maneaters Are Loose" with a similar plotline, just with tigers this time. That one was available on DVD but is now out of print - though the picture quality is pretty awful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 200June 22, 2011 12:02 AM

I loved scary movies as a kid, but I do recall two times I was traumatized. I was maybe 4 or 5 and I remember getting really upset and crying at the end of "The Wizard of Oz" when the fake Wizard takes off in the balloon and leaves Dorothy behind to never get home again. Fear of abandonment, I guess.

Then a few years later a movie called "Magic" came out. I've still never seen it but the TV ad campaign terrified me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 201June 22, 2011 12:17 AM

Ever since I saw The Killing of Sister George I, a butch gay man, have fantasized about being Susannah York getting frigged in the cunt by Coral Browne while I roleplay being an infant.

by Anonymousreply 202June 22, 2011 1:09 AM

Anyone remember Tales From the Darkside? There was one episode with a college girl renting a room from a science professor and he has a daughter named Elizabeth. Scared the fuck out of me. I'm still uncomfortable being in rooms with little doors in the wall.

by Anonymousreply 203June 22, 2011 4:25 AM

This is a picture of Elizabeth btw.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 204June 22, 2011 4:30 AM

Very creepy R204. Elizabeth bears a striking resemblance to the Google Images home page.

by Anonymousreply 205June 22, 2011 4:44 AM

The Exorcist. All of it. %0D %0D The opening of When A Stranger Calls. I never babysat again.%0D %0D Jaws. I saw it at the tender age of 9 and when the head popped out of the boat, I wet my pants and ran wailing out of the theatre. %0D %0D The final scene of Psycho with Perkins sitting in that chair leering at the viewer. %0D %0D Diane Keaton being murdered in Looking For Mr Goodbar. Horrifying.%0D %0D Ann Margaret rolling around in baked beans in Tommy. No more baked beans for me!

by Anonymousreply 206June 22, 2011 4:55 AM

OMG! Now I'm going to have nightmares of the Google Images home page every night for a week.

by Anonymousreply 207June 22, 2011 4:56 AM

There was this strange movie where Ricky Schroeder played a kid whose parents died when their RV went over a cliff. The patents were shrieking and screaming and Sean (Ricky's character) witnesses the whole thing.

There is also a creepy film with Kristy McNichol where her brother joins a Christian cult or something like that.

by Anonymousreply 208June 22, 2011 5:02 AM

To help out r203. That episode is one of the better ones from the "Tales" series. I think that monster traumatized a lot of kids in the 80s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 209June 22, 2011 5:03 AM

The restored version of The Exorcist, where Regan is crab walking down the stairs.

by Anonymousreply 210June 22, 2011 6:10 AM

Bambi - sick shit stuck on a film for children.

by Anonymousreply 211June 22, 2011 6:22 AM

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned one of the most disturbing true-to-life scenes probably ever seen in a modern film and I THINK it was Reservoir Dogs where the young policeman gets his ear cut off (and then presumably murderd) whilst bound/gagged to a chair and left with by the mental case of the mob. There's something also subtely homoerotic about it in the worst way possible too. The actors played a blinder, which left a lasting impression. %0D %0D I didn't watch the rest of the film but the haunted face of the policeman with his bloodshot terrified eyes, unable to scream but knowing what was to come, have stayed with me forever. I cannot abide cruelty so this really hit home for me. I don't even know how I got watching the damn thing. It was all the more horrific for the fact that you KNOW this goes on daily all around the world anyway. %0D %0D The other movie I remember was one I saw as a child in the 1980s. A young kid is looking for his/her parents on in a sort of Cape Cod-esque beach front setting and is drawn down to the beach in the early morning sunlight. The camera follows this kid down only to find the parents dead, buried up to their necks in the sand and left to drown by some unknown assailant. I cannot remember the film's name but that was really graphic in a non-gorey way (more of course a plain weird way) for the 80s. There was just these heads sticking up in the sand. It was really gruesome and cruel.

by Anonymousreply 212June 22, 2011 6:36 AM

This scene from the Canadian horror film Curtains.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 213June 22, 2011 6:54 AM

R212, I think that was based on a Dean Koontz book, because while I never saw the movie I used to scare myself by flipping through horror paperbacks in stores, and that scene kept me up at night. Not scary in a good way, but sick and sad and evil. I've neve much liked horror, but could really never handle any that involved children seeing their parents suffer or vice versa. It was something of a blessing that by the time I was in high school "Halloween" had turned the plot trend toward groups of teenagers, as opposed to the families that were victimized in the psychologically crueler 70s movies.%0D %0D Just the music from the commercials for The Exorcist terrorized my seventh summer. I would start screaming if I heard it coming from the TV.%0D %0D "The final scene from "Carrie."%0D %0D A scene in the 1981 thriller "Dead and Buried" in which the camera pulls in close on the horrifically burned body of a car crash victim...except the corpse isn't....DEAD!"%0D %0D These are two of mine, especially the last one. It's worse than you remember, though- he wasn't a car crash victim but a man who was lured to his death and burned alive by mocking strangers, then presumably put back in his car and the car burned as well. Had to watch that with a bunch of friends who were hooting it up and have never forgotten a moment of it.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 214June 22, 2011 6:58 AM

A scene I woke up to after dozing on my parents' couch when I was in college, no remote or TV guide nearby and no warning as to what I was watching: the eerie Chambers Brothers song "Time Has Come Today" was playing as a cultlike group of people enacted some kind of ritual, a man pouring what appeared to be water over his disciples' heads. I was into 60s nostalgia and kept watching, thinking there was going to be a cool psychedelic trip or orgy after the baptism. At the point where the song ticks down like a clock the camera cut to the outside of the house and it burst into flames. I don't trust my memory as to whether they then showed the people burning inside, but they appeared in my nightmares.

by Anonymousreply 215June 22, 2011 7:06 AM

This film, along with THE TINGLER, scared the fuck outta me when I was 7. Now it just looks really silly.%0D %0D THE WOMAN EATER.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 216June 22, 2011 12:15 PM

R214, I was the same way about Exorcist commercials. Ads in general were evil! You'd be watching an innocent episode of Six-Million Dollar Man or Charlie's Angels and then some ultra-creepy or vicious movie ad would come on and scare the bejesus out of you. Some ads were scarier than the actual movie!

by Anonymousreply 217June 22, 2011 12:25 PM

Aggh, that scene from "Curtains"! I'd forgotten about that. And he put her head in the toilet for someone to find later!

by Anonymousreply 218June 22, 2011 12:27 PM

This wasn't a movie, it was a video shown in Driver Ed class. It was a horror show called "Signal 30" depicting actual scenes of horrible car accidents. It showed real dead people at the scene. The one that sticks with me the most was the truck driver who had his head stretched (and possibly removed - I don't want to remember) by pipes he was hauling that came through the cab of his truck.%0D %0D After I saw that film, I dropped Driver Ed and didn't get my license until I was 36 years old.%0D %0D I just looked it up on google and it seems that it is available to watch. I did not.

by Anonymousreply 219June 22, 2011 2:01 PM

When I was a real little kid: the mean apple trees in The Wizard of Oz.

When I was a slightly older kid: I remember seeing a black and white trailer for a late movie on TV, and I've never been able to track down what the movie was. It looked to be from the 1950s and showed a young women pointing a gun and taunting her mother, telling the mother how awful she'd been to her. Then she shot the gun and immediately pulled at the spaghetti straps of her own slip or dress, snapping them off.

Freaky. Can't get it out of my head to this day.

by Anonymousreply 220June 22, 2011 2:22 PM

R214, thanks for that, yeah it does sound a bit like a Koontz novel.

by Anonymousreply 221June 22, 2011 4:46 PM

The last scene in "Burnt Offerings." Still scares the shit out of me!

The first scene in "Jaws." Now always wonder what's swimming near me in the sea.

by Anonymousreply 222June 22, 2011 4:59 PM

"The actors played a blinder, which left a lasting impression."%0D %0D What does this mean?

by Anonymousreply 223June 22, 2011 5:02 PM

I saw Night of the Living Dead when I was 8 yrs old, in a drive-in, next to a cemetery. I made it to the scene where the young couple blows up in the truck and zombies are fighting over entrails before my dad finally came to his senses and decided me and my siblings were too young. I would not go upstairs or into the basement alone in our house for about a year.

by Anonymousreply 224June 22, 2011 5:10 PM

The human head on a pig, or goats, body in "Oh Lucky Man!" was pretty disturbing, I wasn't even a very small child when I saw the film, but it still really creeped me out.

For Helen Mirren fans, her youthful naked boobs are on display in this. I recall she and Malcolm McDowell had a few sex scenes, but it's been so long since I saw it.

I don't think this film has ever been shown on cable..

by Anonymousreply 225June 22, 2011 5:17 PM

"Jaws" has fucked up several generations of people.

by Anonymousreply 226June 22, 2011 5:37 PM

KIDS.

I was 12 when I saw it the first time and was damaged for a long while thereafter as a result. It was unlike anything I had ever seen. Some horrifying highlights:

- The scene in Washington Square Park when they see two men holding hands and beat their face in with a skateboard.

- The homeless man with no legs in the subway.

- Casper passed out drunk in the bathtub.

- And, of course, when the younger girl has sex for the first time and you know that she's going to contract AIDS.

by Anonymousreply 227June 22, 2011 5:53 PM

What movie was that R227?

by Anonymousreply 228June 22, 2011 5:59 PM

R228, the name of the film is "Kids."

by Anonymousreply 229June 22, 2011 6:04 PM

The malevolent adult voice coming out of a child made The Exorcist so horrifying, I am shocked it has never, to my knowledge, been repeated. I don't believe the movie would have been nearly as frightening without it.

by Anonymousreply 230June 22, 2011 6:29 PM

Kids was incredibly disturbing, and in a much more realistic way than any horror movie.%0D %0D "I was the same way about Exorcist commercials. Ads in general were evil! You'd be watching an innocent episode of Six-Million Dollar Man or Charlie's Angels and then some ultra-creepy or vicious movie ad would come on and scare the bejesus out of you. Some ads were scarier than the actual movie!"%0D %0D R217, haha, so true! There was one for a Dario Argento thing called Suspiria- the back of a woman's head as she combed her hair, slowly turning toward the camera as she sang "Roses are red...." in a quavery voice. Of course her face, when you saw it, was rotting away. My 6th-grade friends tormented me with that all night at a slumber party.%0D %0D R212/221, I actually found it through google- it's John Saul, not Koontz, and the book and movie are both called Cry for the Strangers. The movie poster seems to have been a delightful shot of the boy facing the two heads sticking out of the sand.%0D %0D Which reminds me that even some of the print ads in the 70s scared me! I remember the evil face with glowing eyes for Beyond the Door, that deformed guy for The Hills Have Eyes, the worms for Squirm, and an ad for something called Tender Flesh that assured the reader that what was inside the refrigerator would be the most terrifying sight of his life. Brrrrrrr. I'd flip past them on the way to the comics and Ann Landers, peek because I couldn't help myself, and freak out all over again.

by Anonymousreply 231June 22, 2011 6:30 PM

Here you go, R231. I lost more night's sleep to this commercial than I care to admit. Freaked me the hell out and then some.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 232June 22, 2011 6:57 PM

The woman in the trailer for "Beyond the Door" looked like a cross between Kirsten Dunst and a young Juliet Mills, looool

by Anonymousreply 233June 22, 2011 9:22 PM

R233--your eyes aren't deceiving you: it actually *is* Juliet Mills in the trailer.

by Anonymousreply 234June 22, 2011 9:32 PM

You beat me to it R234. I remember when this movie came out. At the time all I could think of was from The Nanny and the Professor to Avanti! with Jack Lemmon to .. this.

by Anonymousreply 235June 22, 2011 9:39 PM

Of course Ms. Mills got her prize... husband Max Caulfield.

by Anonymousreply 236June 22, 2011 9:39 PM

Amen, R236! We should *all* get such consolation prizes.

by Anonymousreply 237June 22, 2011 9:43 PM

re1%0D %0D that was me

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 238June 22, 2011 9:45 PM

[R18]. That part of the movie floored me. It was highly anticipated but when it happened there was a catharsis of tears from all the kids in the cinema, including many adults one would suspect.

by Anonymousreply 239June 22, 2011 9:49 PM

R219 - there is a documentary on the company that made the driver ed films -- Hell's Highway - The True Story of Highway Safety Films.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 240June 22, 2011 10:04 PM

RZ in opening scene of Case 39 with parents stuffing their child in the oven in terror.

by Anonymousreply 241June 22, 2011 10:24 PM

I have no idea of the name of the film, but all I remember of it was a scene in which a man and a woman were chained to a wall (I think the film was supposed to be set in the medieval period)and someone was stabbing each of them in the back, close ups on the stabbing. UGH. I was about 5 when I saw this. There I was, peeking up from the back seat of the station wagon while dressed in my pjs (no, Ma, I wasn't asleep), my parents up front watching all this on the huge drive-in screen.

by Anonymousreply 242June 22, 2011 11:02 PM

r225, my brother described the man's head on a pig scene to me when I was about 10 and it disturbed me for a good year. JUST THE DESCRIPTION!

by Anonymousreply 243June 22, 2011 11:11 PM

Watcher in the woods. WTF was Disney thinking? This shit scar'd my brother and I for life.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 244June 23, 2011 1:59 AM

ok don't laugh...

SSSSSSSS.... about the man who turns into a snake

and BOB from twin peaks made me need someone to walk me to the bathroom because I was too scared for weeks..

by Anonymousreply 245June 23, 2011 2:18 AM

bump

by Anonymousreply 246June 23, 2011 11:55 AM

Me, too R245: that scene in "Ssssssssss..." gave me the heebie-jeebies, too.

by Anonymousreply 247June 23, 2011 4:51 PM

R242, that might have been Mark of the Devil. Just the trailer for that one at the Drive-In had me disturbed for years!

by Anonymousreply 248June 23, 2011 4:59 PM

Oh my GOD, R232, I remembered the print ad but suppressed that. So cheesy and low-tech yet creepy and disturbing even now.%0D %0D BOB was truly scary. The scene in which Madeline "saw" him come into the room and climb over the couch toward her is etched in my mind as absolutely drenched with dread.%0D %0D Which was the TV movie, or B-movie shown on TV, where the protagonists had finally managed to get in a car and were driving away from whatever zombie/demons had been tormenting them, and then you saw one sit up in the back seat? Nightmares!

by Anonymousreply 249June 23, 2011 11:22 PM

Jennifer Jones hurtling out of the glass elevator in THE TOWERING INFERNO scarred me for life. Not to mention the gratuitous bump off the ledge on her way down. I will not ride glass elevators to this day.

by Anonymousreply 250June 23, 2011 11:33 PM

The end of "The Believer". Ryan Gosling is presumably in hell, and hell is represented as Jewish school. He's running up the stairs and being asked the same questions by a rabbi on every landing. Forever.

by Anonymousreply 251June 24, 2011 12:15 AM

The part in Dumbo when the elephants turned their backs on Dumboo even so far as his mom saying to him 'you are no longer an elephant'. So cruel! Marked me for life, almost as much as Bambi's mom getting shot.

by Anonymousreply 252June 24, 2011 11:29 PM

Adrian Brody fucking the female Dren in"Splice", then later on, Dren morphs into a man then rapes Sarah Polley.

Too creepy for words, especially as the film ends with Polley pregnant! Which was actually some weird form of incest, as Dren was concocted with some of Polley's character's genes!

by Anonymousreply 253June 25, 2011 3:43 AM

I watech When a Stranger Calls last night and, while I did find the opening to be creepy (even though I knew what was coming, thanks to spoilers), what really got me was the END! Not only the climactic confrontation, but the superimposition of the maniac's face over the house, ala Psycho, as the credits were about to roll. Eeek!

by Anonymousreply 254June 27, 2011 1:21 PM

Lost Hearts, based on the MR James story%0D %0D %0D %0D The horror! The horror!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 255June 27, 2011 6:46 PM

R71 - Let's Scare Jessica To Death freaked me out, too!%0D %0D %0D Those gravestone tracings were creepy - I think of that every time I see a cemetary

by Anonymousreply 256June 27, 2011 6:48 PM

Jessica Walter's crazy character in "Play Misty For Me", the idea that some wacko can go willy-nilly into anyone's home has always been a concept I found more annoying than scary.

Then, after she was arrested, after stabbing Eastwood's housekeeper, she was freed? I was more exasperated by the story line than scared.

Not to mention, Walter looked old even back then, she seemed to be too old to have been involved with Eastwood's character. I know she was an obsessed groupie, that didn't mean he had to fuck her.

by Anonymousreply 257June 27, 2011 7:55 PM

Dark Night of the Scaecrow scared the fuck out of me as a 6-year-old in 1981. I had no idea what the film was or the title until a few years ago when I googled it. I just knew it as the movie where the retarded man was inside a scarecrow and giving me nightmares for over a decade.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 258June 27, 2011 8:08 PM

so many scenes in "The Changeling" with George C. Scott, but especially the scene where the little girl gets out of bed late at night and sees the ghost of a little boy coming up through the bedroom floor. Still terrifying!

by Anonymousreply 259July 7, 2011 5:57 PM

In junior high we had to watch a drug-awareness film called [italic]Dead Is Dead.[/italic] The highlight: an actual heroin addict going through withdrawal and puking all over herself.

My senior year of high school, we had to watch a gory tale about drunk driving called [italic]The Last Prom[/italic] (see link).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 260July 7, 2011 6:15 PM

The scene in The Body Snatchers where a dog runs through a crowd, turns around to look toward the camera and has a man's face. Even now, I can barely stand to think about it. Horrible.

by Anonymousreply 261July 23, 2011 3:12 AM

You mean this dog?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 262July 23, 2011 3:36 AM

NOOOOOOOO! I am not even going to open that link.

by Anonymousreply 263July 23, 2011 3:54 AM

R258, I loved "Dark Night of the Scarecrow." The little girl is friends with the mentally challenged adult (Bubba) and people keep telling her not to hang around with him. Then one day she gets attacked by a neighbor's dog and she isn't conscious to tell anyone what happened to her, so everyone assumes that Bubba did it to her. Some of the neighborhood guys go after him and his mamma tells him to hide out in the field as a scarecrow. But the guys find him and just as they start beating him he keeps repeating "Bubba didn't do it!" I remember that so vividly. %0D %0D They end up killing Bubba and the girl comes out of her coma (or whatever) and tells everyone what really happened so then the guys realize that they murdered Bubba even though he was innocent of any harm. And somehow Bubba comes back to life in that scarecrow outfit and kills each of the guys in some cool and creepy way. I remember one was dropped into something like a woodchipper, and one was chased down in the field by a huge combine, and I think one was killed by being locked in an empty silo and then the silo was filled with corn. %0D %0D And then at the end after all of the vengeance was administered, I remember newly evil scarecrow Bubba was back playing with the little girl just like old times. I wish some channel would rerun that movie, but I'm thinking it wouldn't hold up very well these days.

by Anonymousreply 264July 23, 2011 7:20 AM

There is this movie i saw when i was little its two parts that freak me out badly the first one is this guy has salt poured into his chest its cut open on an operation table and the second part is this guy tied to a door and has his nuts cut off with pliers does anyone know the name of this movie

by Anonymousreply 265December 30, 2012 4:21 PM

Does anyone know of an 80's movie, I think with Charles Bronson, where a red-haired woman in a wig is at a bar-- then there's some kind of violent scuffle in an alleyway-- and it's revealed that she's wearing a wig and has short hair and was undercover. I don't know why, but I saw this scene when I was in a kid, and I was inconsolable, crying for an hour afterwards.

If anyone remembers this, it will solve a decades long mystery to my sister and I.

by Anonymousreply 266December 30, 2012 4:45 PM

The flying monkeys in the Wizard of Oz scared the shit out of me when I was a kid. To this day I'm scared of flying human sized monkeys.

by Anonymousreply 267December 30, 2012 4:53 PM

The Mandingo wrestling scene in "Django Unchained" is pretty fucking disturbing.

by Anonymousreply 268December 30, 2012 4:53 PM

although I wasn't exactly a kid when I saw it, the scene in Pulp Fiction where the guy cuts off the cop's ear still haunts me to this day.

by Anonymousreply 269December 30, 2012 4:57 PM

The final "Jesus Wept" scene from "He'll raiser"

by Anonymousreply 270December 30, 2012 4:57 PM

Sorry I meant Reservoir Dogs. Why I wrote Pulp Fiction is one of life's mysteries 0_0

by Anonymousreply 271December 30, 2012 4:58 PM

I think that's Reservoir Dogs R269.

by Anonymousreply 272December 30, 2012 5:00 PM

yes I know R272. As soon as I hit "save post" I realized I had said the wrong film.

by Anonymousreply 273December 30, 2012 5:02 PM

"The Cook, the Thief, the wife and her Lover" god, there were so many disturbing scenes from that movie, I can't even begin to list them - and that doesn't even include Helen Mirren full frontal nudity!

by Anonymousreply 274December 30, 2012 5:19 PM

In "Sisters" when Danielle stabs the guy and he writes HELP on the window in his own blood.

by Anonymousreply 275December 30, 2012 5:32 PM

It's not a movie, but there was a scene in Twin Peaks that completely freaked me out.

Laura Palmer's mother is in the house alone at night and she hears something upstairs. She walks up the stairs and looks in Laura's dar bedroom and she sees something...the camera moves closer, and it's Killer Bob croutched by the bed glaring at her. She starts screaming hysterically.

Freaked me the fuck out.

by Anonymousreply 276December 30, 2012 5:45 PM

[all posts by right wing shit-stain # a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 277December 30, 2012 5:56 PM

OMG R231 I remember how that commercial came on so quickly and so loud by the time you ran across the living room to change the channel it was too late and you heard and saw everything!

[bold]BEYOND THE DOOR[/bold]

by Anonymousreply 278December 30, 2012 5:58 PM

LET ME IN.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 279December 30, 2012 6:02 PM

I saw about two seconds of that backwards talking Bob shit from TP, turned the channel and never went back.

by Anonymousreply 280December 30, 2012 6:02 PM

What R276 said. I STILL see that in my nightmares!

And while I'm at it, ditto R278. That commercial resulted in so many sleepless nights for me (and my parents).

And weirdly enough, the TV commercial for THE LEGEND OF BOGGY CREEK scared me on a nightly basis. The first shot was water drops causing still waters to ripple. Anytime I saw that, I BOLTED from the room.

by Anonymousreply 281December 30, 2012 6:05 PM

R227, I saw KIDS on a first date with someone I didn't know very well. Neither of us knew what it was going to be about; had only heard from other people that it was supposed to be good. Holy shit. Most uncomfortable first date ever. After the movie, we both just sort of mumbled "Okay, see ya" at each other and went home separately.

The rape scene in Prince of Tides was really damaging to me. I saw it when I was 12.

Also adding to the chorus of people scarred forever by Sybil's mom. I will never forget her face and am completely creeped out when I see her in something else.

by Anonymousreply 282December 30, 2012 6:26 PM

by Anonymousreply 283December 30, 2012 6:27 PM

Totally, R283. And his skeleton-like face peering in the screen door at Carol Ann. "LET ME IN."

by Anonymousreply 284December 30, 2012 6:28 PM

Although over 40 when I finally saw it, Drew Barrymore's death in "Scream" really upset me. I know, MARY!!!

by Anonymousreply 285December 30, 2012 6:40 PM

Not a horror movie, but the made-for-tv movie 'Playing For Time' scarred me tremendously in the early 80's. It starts out Auschwitz-awful, Vanessa Redgrave stripped naked, head shaved right on camera, tattooed and beaten. The head-shaving scene traumatized me because I'd never seen an actress so convincingly portray terror, plus bald women are so scary anyway.

by Anonymousreply 286December 30, 2012 7:32 PM

Glenn Close trying to act alluring and sexy in "Fatal Attraction." Horrifying!!!

by Anonymousreply 287December 30, 2012 7:36 PM

The botched execution scene in "The Green Mile"...

by Anonymousreply 288December 30, 2012 8:19 PM

Yehh, that was pretty gross, R288.

by Anonymousreply 289December 30, 2012 8:21 PM

1. Pee-wee's Big Adventure - Large Marge Scene 2. I can't remember the name. I think it might be an Amazing Stories clip but it was 2 guys driving in a car at night. One guy asks the other if he wants to see some thing scary and other guys gets excited thinking he's in for a scary story or something. First guy turns into a blue monster and attacks the second guy.

by Anonymousreply 290December 30, 2012 8:49 PM

That was the prologue to the TWILIGHT ZONE movie. Dan Ackroyd and (I think) Albert Brooks.

by Anonymousreply 291December 30, 2012 9:04 PM

by Anonymousreply 292December 30, 2012 9:13 PM

Anyone recall a short film about a man building a giant mousetrap? At the end the guy is caught in his trap. I used to see lots of bizarre shorts on tv back in the early 80s. There was another where a man is an attic full of talking mannequinns and one where a guy is chased and consumed by videotape.

by Anonymousreply 293December 30, 2012 9:18 PM

I saw this movie in the 70's on a Saturday afternoon that I have never forgotten. There is a swimming pool filled with murky water. A woman falls into, or is pushed into it. There is also a hidden cave somewhere. I am in my 40's now! Help--does anyone know this movie?

by Anonymousreply 294March 5, 2013 12:27 AM

Not sure of the name, but a movie where this evil teenage girl was living with her grandmother, killed her and several others. She killed the woman's Scottie dog by getting him in a truck then putting a can of Bug killer in with him. Thought about that evil bitch for years. It turned me gay!

by Anonymousreply 295March 5, 2013 12:35 AM

halloween 3 - i had to sleep in the living room while my grandma visited. My brother watched this movie EVERY NIGHT in the living room even though just listening to the creepy music would make me cry. I'm still scared thinking about it.

by Anonymousreply 296March 5, 2013 12:35 AM

When I was a kid, it was "I Saw What You Did" with Joan Crawford. It was a William Castle suspense film. It's been done over and over, but this was the original. In the end, the teenager makes it out to the car, which (naturally) won't start. Suddenly two hands appear from behind her in the back seat and start to choke her. A shot rings out . . .

by Anonymousreply 297March 5, 2013 12:35 AM

The original movie "The Fly."

"Help me! Please, help me!"

After that, my father used to chase us kids around the house, his fingers splayed, doing his imitation of that line.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 298March 5, 2013 12:52 AM

The shit banquet in Pasolini's Salo.

Actually, the entire movie.

by Anonymousreply 299March 5, 2013 1:00 AM

I remember watching a movie as a kid (in the 80's) about a woman who was possessed by a demon because she yawned....I was petrified of yawning for years!!! I can't figure out what movie it is tho!

I also remember watching a movie (I think it was a lifetime movie) and the only thing that I remember from it was that a woman went thru the windshield in an accident and seeing how she looked after that gave me nightmares!

by Anonymousreply 300March 15, 2013 12:59 AM

I remember a tv movie where a little girl is in bed and something starts crawling up towards her under the covers. I don't remember what the movie was but the announcer says something like (girls name)thought there was something under the bed...(girls name)was Right!

by Anonymousreply 301March 15, 2013 7:40 AM

Some movie I saw of a brief scene of while flipping channels. Donald Sutherland was playing a nazi. He was in uniform, standing in a room, swinging in circles a child by his legs and the child's head was banging into the walls and blood was gushing out of the child's nose and mouth. Totally freaked me out and I immediately switched the channel. I have no clue the name of the movie.

by Anonymousreply 302March 15, 2013 7:58 AM

Eye Of The Needle, R302? I haven't seen it, but I know Sutherland plays a Nazi spy in it.

by Anonymousreply 303March 15, 2013 11:12 AM

R292, the girl in thw Twiklight Zone movie is Cherie Currie of The Runaways!

by Anonymousreply 304March 20, 2013 6:40 AM

As a child sometime in the early-mid seventies my parents would take us to the drivein and of course I was supposed to be asleep in the back seat bu I remember looking between the seats and seeing a girl hanging upside down, a female symbol cut into her stomach and bleeding out into a bucket I think. I vaguely remember an old woman and seeing a second girl in the same position later. hve no clue what this movie was.

by Anonymousreply 305July 17, 2013 10:18 PM

Does anybody remember some pre-1982 film about strange electric green glowworms that were poisoning/killing people?

- I watched half of it as a child and it really disturbed me.

I think some of the worm-killings took place on a boat/very international jet set/James Bond feel, and then with these inch-long glowing green worms that were everywhere...?

by Anonymousreply 306July 17, 2013 10:37 PM

Olivia de Havilland in "The Screaming Woman." It was a 70s TV movie about a cheating husband who buried his wife alive and Olivia kept hearing her voice from underneath the ground.

The scene starting at 7:25 scarred me for life:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 307July 17, 2013 10:37 PM

R81, I had that test in real life when I was 20 and they suspected a brain tumor. It was before they had CT scans or MRIs.

If you think the needle part is bad, it's nothing compared to when they turn the machine on. You feel like your entire body is on fire. If they did it right Reagan should have been in the worst pain ever right after the dye goes in.

Then I had another nightmare of a test where first they had to take out spinal fluid and inject something in my spine, maybe more dye. They did this with the patient (me) tied to the chair and once you get the injection in your spine the chair spins around and even turns you completely upside down. Agony! I was screaming so much they had to sedate me.

Thank goodness for MRI's and CAT scans.

by Anonymousreply 308July 18, 2013 12:08 AM

The Day After nuclear attack sequence. I was 9.

by Anonymousreply 309July 18, 2013 1:03 AM

There is one scene in a movie I will never forget and have never watched again. If my memory is correct, I remember it as the opening scene when two guys who are into S&M are in a hotel room with one of them tied face down on the bed and the other guy (serial killer) starts pushing a huge knife slowly into the other guys back over and over. Seeing the blood, helplessness and blood curdling screams had a lifelong impact on me. I can still see the scene play over in my mind even though I haven't seen the movie since it released in 1980.

by Anonymousreply 310July 18, 2013 2:31 AM

Such horrible images people are mentioning.

Mine seems weak in comparison...as a kid I saw "Easy Rider" and the ending were the motorcyclists get shotgunned in the South by rednecks...keep me out of the South for years.

by Anonymousreply 311July 18, 2013 2:45 AM

R302, that movie was "1900" and Sutherland played a Fascist leader in Mussolini's Italy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 312July 18, 2013 4:28 AM

R310, I think that was [italic]Cruising[/italic] with Al Pacino.

by Anonymousreply 313July 18, 2013 4:56 AM

Yes it was Cruising.. I realized I forgot to add that a while after I posted. I was sidetracked when my partner started talking to me halfway through my post. Thanks for naming the film.

by Anonymousreply 314July 18, 2013 10:37 AM

The bear from THE FOX AND THE HOUND literally terrified me as a child.

by Anonymousreply 315July 18, 2013 10:49 AM

Doris Day, phone to ear, frightened face, tears streaming down, her screetchy,sobbing voice begging her would be stalker...

Ok,it didn't scar me. Still, seeing "Midnight Lace" as a little kid has stayed with me.

I avoid watching it now because I prefer the memory of my childhood fright to re-watching it, as an adult, and seeing that it doesn't hold up.

by Anonymousreply 316July 18, 2013 11:14 AM

R295, that was Rose McGowan in Devil In The Flesh.

[quote]Melissa Gilbert as Helen Keller. There was something really dirty and gross about Gilbert's interpretation of HK that makes me queasy today even just thinking about it.

WTF???

by Anonymousreply 317July 18, 2013 12:18 PM

OG Friday the 13th was on hbo when I was about 7 or 8. I closed my eyes through the whole movie until the end when the girl was in the boat on the lake and my brother goes "It's over you can open your eyes."

When Jason jumps out of the lake and grabs her....omg I freaked out. I could not sleep for a week.

by Anonymousreply 318July 18, 2013 12:43 PM

Being At Home With Claude. You just can't trust those Canadian fuckers.

by Anonymousreply 319July 18, 2013 5:18 PM

[all posts by tedious troll removed.]

by Anonymousreply 320July 19, 2013 4:10 AM

[quote]I also remember being really warped by the 70's remake of The Miracle Worker for some reason, the one with Patty Duke as Ann Sullivan this time around and Melissa Gilbert as Helen Keller. There was something really dirty and gross about Gilbert's interpretation of HK that makes me queasy today even just thinking about it.

I know exactly what you mean. It makes me puke even to think about it.

by Anonymousreply 321July 19, 2013 4:30 AM

As a very young kid, the Wicked Witch of the West in The Wizard of OZ gave me nightmares.

Later on the very graphic violence in the original Friday the 13th film really freaked me out.

by Anonymousreply 322July 20, 2013 5:23 PM

The Twilught Zone TV episode where the airplane passenger, was it Wm Shatner? Opens the window shade and sees that Wookie with its face against the glass, looking in.

Also, a Vincent Price movie from the 1960s, or maybe 1950s, where he turns around in this haunted house, and there is an old hag at his shoulder hissing at him.

I can't watch scary moves anymore. Hollywood knows how to terrify people now, and they're too good at it.

by Anonymousreply 323July 21, 2013 10:14 PM

the film that i most scared during as a kid is 13 Ghost. the scene with the juggernaut was extremely scary.

by Anonymousreply 324July 24, 2013 11:43 AM

The scene from Return to Oz where Dorothy and the blond girl escape from the asylum and people start screaming in the cellars. I would have been about 7 or 8 and I'm pretty sure that's the point in my life where I realised that not everything was fluff and rainbows. The whole film is trippy and disturbing.

Carnival of Souls I found very unsettling, especially as you never really find out what actually happened.

Also that part in The Descent where they start screaming for help and through the night vision on the camera you can see one of the freaky cave-dweller things come right up to them.

And speaking of night vision cameras, the last scene in REC where the two are up in the top floor apartment with that thing stalking them. Oh and the part where they open the trapdoor to the attic. For about two years after I saw that movie I couldn't pass a firestation without feeling strange.

by Anonymousreply 325July 24, 2013 12:33 PM

The dolls with razors for teeth in "Barbarella", anyone? Interesting how the 1970s folk horror imagery sticks with people- as does the late 60s/70s trend of portraying children as evil (Exorcist, Omen, Rosemary's Baby,The Other, It's Alive),reflective of the ambivalence towards traditional family life and having kids in that era...70s were a very odd time to be young... No mention of the original "Wicker Man" ending? "Warriors, come put and pla-ay"? "The Sentinel"?

by Anonymousreply 326July 26, 2013 6:35 AM

I don't know if anyone saw "Paperboy". My partner convinced me to go- I should know better- I'm the one who usually checks reviews. The cast was great: Zac Efron, Matthew McConoughey, Nicole Kidman and John Cusack. Most disturbing fucking film- McConoughey's character is a masochist of the highest order. There's a scene where his younger brother- Zac Efron- finds him in a motel room. I can't even talk about it. I had full blown anxiety attack and I had to leave. I will proudly call myself Mary- i don't give a shit. My partner, meanwhile, had fallen asleep. He stayed for the rest of the film. And now, I cannot bear the sight not sound of Mcconnaughey. That drawl makes my skin crawl. Reminds me of my nephew, now 15- since the kid was 3, he has hated Nicolas Cage. My sister and husband, the kid's brothers- me- we've all tried asking: what's up with that? His voice? His face? I now get it. McConnoughey ( HTF do you spell that name?) is dead to me now cuz of one scene that I will never un- see.

Gah! I should go to sleep- I've lost coherence.

by Anonymousreply 327July 26, 2013 7:16 AM

kenya's exposed cakes when she showed up at nene's shoe party meaning to humiliate phaedra by wearing the thong bathing suit and net coverup.

by Anonymousreply 328July 26, 2013 7:57 AM

[quote] There's a scene where his younger brother- Zac Efron- finds him in a motel room. I can't even talk about it.

Can somebody else talk about it then? I'm curious. What happens?

by Anonymousreply 329July 26, 2013 11:03 AM

That tunnel scene from Irreversible. I am scared of walking in badly lit underpasses or empty connecting passages in the subway.

by Anonymousreply 330July 26, 2013 11:12 AM

[quote]Can somebody else talk about it then? I'm curious. What happens?

Me too.

by Anonymousreply 331July 26, 2013 11:18 AM

Hi R1 - that was me. I know it sounds weird, but that scene where they slap the electronics on her with the grey contacts....eesh. I've seen it since and it looks ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 332July 26, 2013 11:20 AM

Near the end of Charlotte's Web when Charlotte says "goodbye" to Wilbur. I get chills just typing this.... Then to make it worse, all but three of her babies leave in the wind. I never ever kill ANY type of spider, they're more beneficial than most people realize.

by Anonymousreply 333July 26, 2013 5:00 PM

R329, he's been badly raped and beaten, though you don't see anything but the aftermath.

by Anonymousreply 334July 27, 2013 8:48 PM

There was a Karen Black/Bette Davis/Oliver Reed film from the 70s called Burnt Offerings that gave me nightmares. The scenes with the creepy hearse driver still creep me out.

by Anonymousreply 335July 27, 2013 8:55 PM

The 1983 film Strange Invaders when Michael Lerner comes the motel to see an alien disintegrate his son in bed.

by Anonymousreply 336February 6, 2014 4:38 AM

Don't know the movie, but it's an old B&W one where people are trapped in a maze, and there is a GIANT TOAD in it.

FROGS with Sam Elliot and Joan Van Ark. The whole thing, but especially the end when the frogs take over.

The part in MAGNOLIA with the rain of frogs. I was almost fetal by the time it was over.

by Anonymousreply 337February 6, 2014 11:38 AM

R323 The Price movie was the original "House on Haunted Hill". That scene was scary as hell, when I was a kid. It's laughable now.

by Anonymousreply 338February 6, 2014 2:22 PM

The first "Dawn of the Dead" in the early 80s.

The zombies tear this guy open & eat his guts right there on screen. I was nauseous for a couple of days. Then I went to see the movie a 2nd time..

by Anonymousreply 339February 6, 2014 2:23 PM

R300:...you were scarred for life by a movie on Lifetime??

MAREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE !!

by Anonymousreply 340February 6, 2014 2:37 PM

Saving Private Ryan: Death of Private Mellish(Adam Goldberg's charachter) Jesus Christ, I almost cried. The German overpowered him, and slowly shoved the knife into his heart. I remember the look on both their faces. Mellish was begging for him to stop at some point, and the German calmly shushed him. I haven't watched the movie since.

Sybil. The scene where Sybil's mom flushed her bladder. I had this done in the hospital, and I flipped the fuck out. It hurt so bad. I needed an ultrasound, and I was badly dehydrated. My bladder was empty. Since I couldn't keep anything down, my doctor decided to do this. When the nurse hooked up the saline bag, to my catheter, and started to squeeze the bag, I cried. The saline was ice cold. It reminded me of every Kidney Infection, and UTI I had as a child, times ten.

by Anonymousreply 341February 6, 2014 4:08 PM

The scene where Bill Pullman is buried alive by the voodoo guy in "Serpent and the Rainbow." In fact, that whole movie is still terrifying to me.

by Anonymousreply 342February 6, 2014 4:17 PM

Most of the films that scarred me from life are ones that I saw as a child.

"The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane" totally shocked the hell out of me when I was about 7 yo. I'll never forget the scene where Jodie Foster looks into the basement or beneath the floor boards or whatever...and this dead lady was staring back at her.

Scared the HECK out of me. I had never seen anything like that before.

I was scored by TV shows, too.

I learned about suicide from "One Day at a Time." I had never heard of it before, and the thought that people intentionally took their own lives out of despair was a shock to me.

Also, I learned about child abuse from "Good Times." It literally made me sick when Janet Jackson's "mom" in the show burned her with an iron.

Compared to today's tv, that's nothing. If I had kids, I would not want them watching the crap that comes out of Hollywood. I'm no conservative...as progressive as anyone...but most content is crap these days.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 343February 6, 2014 4:32 PM

Different Strokes: "The Bicycle Man"

by Anonymousreply 344February 6, 2014 4:46 PM

Oh! That one where Phillip Seymour Hoffman did that nude dance with his penis tucked between his legs.

by Anonymousreply 345February 6, 2014 4:48 PM

I have a couple of scenes I remember from when I was very young, but I have no idea what they were from.

One was a made-for-TV mystery movie where a bunch of guest go to a home and get murdered one by one, you know the drill. But one lady was swimming in the pool and found she couldn't get out because the top of the water had turned to glass, so she drowned. Scared the hell out of me.

The other was something on PBS that was already old because the film was faded, so I'm going to say it was originally made in the late 1960s or so. Some kid had watched a horror movie and was leaving the theater when he looked behind him, and hiding behind a doorway was some guy looking a little like the Phantom of the Opera, but with a big gash on his forehead with gooey blood. I was probably 4 years old, so it's been 35 years and I don't go more than a week without remembering it.

by Anonymousreply 346February 6, 2014 5:04 PM

As a child I happened on HBO one night and it was in the middle of the film ASSAULT ON PRECINCT 13 and Kim Richards or Kyle Richards goes up to an Ice Cream Truck and asks for a cone and they blank shoot her. The image of her standing there with a gunshot wound mid chest scared me to death and I still have that image in my mind and it disturbs me....

by Anonymousreply 347February 6, 2014 5:17 PM

Some old black and white British thing where they find a spaceship underground manned by cricket people who turned out to be Satan or something...

by Anonymousreply 348February 6, 2014 5:26 PM

Wow, R438. I remember that, too. Scared the HELL out of me as a kid. Does anyone know what it was?

by Anonymousreply 349February 6, 2014 5:28 PM

Oops, I meant R348.

by Anonymousreply 350February 6, 2014 5:33 PM

As a child we were forced to watch a lung cancer operation to scare us into not smoking. It worked. Nobody who saw that film ever smoked.

What about the hooker with the razor blade in her mouth in Fort Apache the Bronx?

by Anonymousreply 351February 6, 2014 5:41 PM

The scene with the woman in the bathtub with a hair dryer was an episode of Kojak or some 1970s crime show if I'm not mistaken.

Really frightening.

by Anonymousreply 352February 6, 2014 6:10 PM

R348, that's Quartermass and the Pit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 353February 6, 2014 6:50 PM

Thanks, R353!

by Anonymousreply 354February 6, 2014 6:56 PM

R346, isn't that "The Legacy?" That was a theatrical film.

by Anonymousreply 355February 6, 2014 7:40 PM

R348 are you talking about Five Million Years to Earth?

by Anonymousreply 356February 6, 2014 7:59 PM

R356, Quartermass and the Pit was released in the US as Five Million Years to Earth

by Anonymousreply 357February 6, 2014 8:22 PM

Most of Gummo

by Anonymousreply 358February 6, 2014 10:40 PM

The b/w thriller, "Dead of Night" with Michael Redgrave. Scared the crap out of me when I was a kid.

It's actually a great movie, just not one for the 10 y/o I was at the time.

by Anonymousreply 359February 7, 2014 12:06 AM

2 Girls, 1 Cup

Eel Soup

by Anonymousreply 360February 7, 2014 12:34 AM

[quote]I will never, ever have wire hangers in my house after seeing Mommie Dearest as a young child.

That scene gave me horrible nightmares for years.

Especially since my mother was a cruel bitch, so the movie hit very close to home.

by Anonymousreply 361February 9, 2014 8:47 AM

[quote]Oh! That one where Phillip Seymour Hoffman did that nude dance with his penis tucked between his legs.

Pretty sure you're talking about the Buffalo Bill character in "Silence of the Lambs", who was definitely *not* played by PSH!

by Anonymousreply 362February 9, 2014 8:49 AM

[quote][R27], Omen II had plenty of terror in it - that one guy got sliced in half by an elevator cable. That alone freaked me out more than ever about riding in them.

Yeah, you really gotta watch out for cables, they've very dangerous.

by Anonymousreply 363February 9, 2014 8:51 AM

[quote]Although over 40 when I finally saw it, Drew Barrymore's death in "Scream" really upset me. I know, MARY!!!

No, I found that scene quite upsetting, too.

The worst part of it, imo, was when Drew was being dragged along the grass by the killer, and she was trying to call her mom but with throat cut, it only came out as a whisper, but her mom was on the phone with her and could hear her! Very realistic and scary.

by Anonymousreply 364February 10, 2014 2:36 AM

All Dog go to Heaven. The scene where they're floating up through the clouds. Freaky. That's probably why I'm an atheist.

by Anonymousreply 365February 10, 2014 2:46 AM

The scene near the end of the Original Friday the 13th when the (supposedly) long dead Jason Voorhees jumps up out if the water and grabs the young woman in the canoe and pulls here down into the water. It's totally unexpected in part because of the nice music playing. Jason's grotesquely huge misshapen head and the hideous mouth (rubber appliance) is something I'll never forget. Also there was some sludge or slime on his neck and body from being at the bottom of the lake. Remembering this has made me feel uneasy.

by Anonymousreply 366March 4, 2014 11:46 PM

When Regan flips back and forth on the bed in The Exorcist. That scene scared me the most.

by Anonymousreply 367March 4, 2014 11:57 PM

I'm sorry, r361.

by Anonymousreply 368March 4, 2014 11:58 PM

Irreversible - the underground tunnel scene. I try to avoid all tunnels and empty underground passages ever since I saw that movie.

by Anonymousreply 369March 5, 2014 12:02 AM

[quote]Spending an entire night and morning in a house full of brutally murdered people has always been a nightmare to me since seeing that film. I'd like to see it again sometime to see if it still has any affect on me.

It's currently showing on Netflix.

by Anonymousreply 370March 5, 2014 12:06 AM

I have no personal recollection of this episode but I've been told again and again that my grandma had to take me out of the movie theater because my screams of terror were bothering the whole attendance. And when we went out it also became clear that I peed in my pants. The movie: 101 Dalmatians.

by Anonymousreply 371March 5, 2014 12:14 AM

The "You are all gonna die!" scene from Exorcist 2. Actually, the entire performance by Julian Beck as Rev. Kane.

by Anonymousreply 372March 5, 2014 12:16 AM

Yes. i was freaked out by robot woman in Superman III as well.

Also, the movie with Wendy O'Williams that aired on USA at Night, called "Reform School Girls" - the scene with the kitten and the Edna. I was horrified at seven years old. Just horrified.

But that movie is awesome. :)

by Anonymousreply 373March 5, 2014 12:31 AM

Oh, another film from USA Network at night - Flesh Eating Mothers(1989); when one of them eats their own baby.

by Anonymousreply 374March 5, 2014 12:34 AM

nicholas Cage scared me how bad actor he is on 8mm

by Anonymousreply 375March 5, 2014 12:48 AM

When I was little my mother used to take us to the movies to get away from my father who would go on benders. We went on a school night or a weekend, when ever it was necessary. Anyway, we saw a movie that had John Wayne and a Giant Squid in it, called Reap the Wild Wind. It was on oldie night at the Dollar neighborhood show. I was 6. I have never forgotten it. I was terrified. Also saw Night of the Hunter on TV at midnight one night, and it scared the crap out of me. Left me scarred.

by Anonymousreply 376March 5, 2014 12:59 AM

I remember going to the movies with my cousin because she wanted to see The Group. I had never seen a woman beaten up like that. It made me hate Larry Hagman forever. He beat the crap out of his wife in the movie. His name was Harold. I always associate that name with mean drunks.

by Anonymousreply 377March 5, 2014 1:00 AM

The rape scene from Irreversible. To this day I can't watch scenes featuring sexual assault on film.

by Anonymousreply 378March 5, 2014 1:02 AM

I wouldn't say it scarred me, but I remember having a very strong visceral reaction to the scene where Judge Doom dies in Who Framed Roger Rabbit? I don't really remember the scene that well, just that it made me feel very uncomfortable.

In the same vein, I was also always squicked out by the insides of the cyborgs in the Alien series, especially the part in Aliens when Bishop gets cut in half and his flopping around on the floor with that "milk blood" running down his face.

by Anonymousreply 379March 5, 2014 1:50 AM

The scene where the alien comes out of the chest in "Aliens". (For some reason I thought it had happened after the character had eaten spaghetti, and I was afraid of eating spaghetti for years after).

Scarlett coming back to Tara and finding her mother lying dead in that creepy, greenish-lit room. I'm very close to my mother and mothers dying in movies always freaks me out. Mothers and dogs.

When I was about six, I spent a couple of weeks at home on a nebuliser due to asthma. I saw this TV movie "Alex: The Life of a A Child" (about a kid dying of cystic fibrosis) and was convinced I'd die in the night if I fell asleep.

by Anonymousreply 380March 5, 2014 1:59 AM

Not sure what movie it was, but someone falls through the ice and then trying to get out, but the ice is covered over and they drown. (I know there's a scene like that in the Omen, but I don't think that was it)

by Anonymousreply 381March 5, 2014 2:01 AM

I don't know the name of the movie but they showed actual footage of a woman giving birth. I passed out in my chair. I was about 23 or 24.

by Anonymousreply 382March 5, 2014 2:02 AM

The Power of One always freaked me out, when the horrible boys kill the little kid's chicken.

South African accents still give me the heebie jeebies. Piss kop!

by Anonymousreply 383March 5, 2014 2:04 AM

The Star Trek malfunctioning transporter scene.

"Fortunately what came back didn't live long."

by Anonymousreply 384March 5, 2014 2:31 AM

(R384) I remember that one. It really screwed with my fantasy of having a transporter.

by Anonymousreply 385March 5, 2014 2:35 AM

R252, Dumbo's mom wasn't one of the bitches who said he was "no longer an elephant"! No wonder you were trauamatized...

by Anonymousreply 386March 5, 2014 3:20 AM

1) 80's network TV movie - A blond woman in Grand Central Station is kidnapped by mole people & held hostage in the tunnels beneath the station. While underground she's treated badly & possibly raped. She finally escapes at the movie's end.

Does anyone remember this movie? What's its title?

2) Requiem for a dream. The end of the movie's haunting music playing while:

- Ellen Burstyn's character is involuntarily committed & gets shock treatments

- Jared Leto's character loses his lower arm & is left with a stump

- Jennifer Connelly's character is an heroin addict forced by her pimp to entertain a party with a double dildo

- Marlon Wayans' character is imprisoned on a chain gang with racist prison guards

by Anonymousreply 387March 5, 2014 3:35 AM

Invaders From Mars (1953) there was so much creepy content throughout the film, but the image of that saucer disappearing into the sandpit really got to me as a kid. The film has that sinister Cold War paranoia reframed around the Martian threat, and combined with the shudder inducing neck wounds I was terrified . My brother and I were awake around 5 am on a Saturday morning because they ran SciFi movies at that time every week. Despite my squeals and my older brother egging me on our parents slept through it all. The fact we were awake but our parents were not made it even easier to identify with the little boy's realization that all the adults he encountered were asleep to the invasion truth.

Also Night of the Hunter, as so many have also said. Robert Micham's sinister psychopathic preacher so freaked me out that I always felt very edgy when watching anything he was in after that. I almost felt a sense of relief when he finally died, though I never disliked him as an actor. He made spine tingling magic in that movie.

The only film I've seen as an adult that left a similar effect was Eraserhead, all around. Oh god, that hideous baby! Shudder.

I could never take Jaws seriously after seeing the animatronic shark parked on a dock, on Martha's Vineyard, during filming there. I wish I had been able to get the full horror of the story in film. The book DID freak me out, but that was long before I watched them filming and I saw how laughable that shark looked close up.

by Anonymousreply 388March 5, 2014 4:01 AM

Mr.Bungle's downfall in "Lunchroom Manners."

by Anonymousreply 389March 5, 2014 4:04 AM

The alien abduction scene in Close Encounters of the Third Kind. Very intense for me as a 12-year-old kid.

by Anonymousreply 390March 5, 2014 4:15 AM

Me too R390. I was about 10 or 11 when I saw Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind with the neighbors and their sons. When I came back home my parents left because they were dining out and I was supposed to look baby sit my little brothers. I was terrified. An alien was behind each corner, in each shadow. I was petrified. I could not move. Then came time to go to bed and I flung myself under the blankets. Since I could not breathe under the blankets I had to get my head out of the blankets every 20 seconds or so and at one time, when I did it, the whole place was torn by lightnings. But there was no rain! I must have felt this was the end.

Years later, on August 31st 1997, at about 2:30 am, I was driving back home in Paris, and suddenly the car enters a vicinity where the whole place was bright as in broad daylight. And of course the first idea I came up with was that "they" were back! The whole thing was quite eerie. Then I saw that there were policemen everywhere and wondered what was really going on.

I found out when I came back home and turned on CNN, that Lady Di had been involved in a car accident about half an hour before I closed in on the spot (Tunnel de l'Alma) where traffic was diverted above the tunnel.

by Anonymousreply 391March 5, 2014 2:57 PM

The cat scene in "Leolo."

by Anonymousreply 392March 5, 2014 3:04 PM

Chucky (child's play). Saw it on TV when I was a kid. I still hate looking at dolls that look too humane.

by Anonymousreply 393March 5, 2014 3:06 PM

The Invasion of the Body Snatchers. The version with Jeff Goldblum and Donald Sutherland. I was eight when I saw it on TV, late one night. Scared the shit out of me. I remember watching people for weeks after that, trying to spot aliens.

by Anonymousreply 394March 5, 2014 3:20 PM

Watching Darby O'Gill and seeing the banshee on my grandmother's black and white tv. Scared the living day lights out of me and I was afraid to go outside at night for about a week. I was afraid a banshee would scoop me up and fly off with me.

Later, when I saw it in color, the banshee wasn't nearly so frightening.

by Anonymousreply 395March 5, 2014 3:29 PM

Saw the movie Killer Klowns from Outer Space when I was around 11 and not just 1 scene but the whole movie freaked me out and made me terrified of clowns until this day.

by Anonymousreply 396March 5, 2014 3:34 PM

I've only read about 8 pages in but I was surprised Requiem For Dream was not mentioned yet. I will never seen that movie again its the reason I've never touched heroin and hate group sex.

by Anonymousreply 397March 5, 2014 3:40 PM

I already posted, but I remembered another.

I was really embarrassed about this for a while, and would never admit it. Pinocchio scarred me for life.

The scene where Pinocchio and the Ginger boy were smoking cigars, vandalizing, gambling, and drinking. It was when the boy started to turn into a donkey. His epic meltdown, and his screaming for his mom freaked me out bad. I remember being absolutely terrified. I was 6 years old. My mom told me to never do any of those things, because I would turn into a Jackass, just like that boy. I still cringe at that part, to this day.

by Anonymousreply 398March 5, 2014 3:52 PM

R396 YES! There was something about that movie which was SO MUCH more unhinging for me than Close Encounters. I saw both as an adult.

TAKEN the Spielberg Alien Abduction Mini-series. Scary parts too numerous to mention but also a few very cool alien encounters. It's on Netflix and YouTube.

by Anonymousreply 399March 5, 2014 6:54 PM

R397, just ten posts above you.

by Anonymousreply 400March 5, 2014 7:18 PM

Lucille Ball singing in Mame. Now that would scare anybody!

by Anonymousreply 401March 5, 2014 7:59 PM

[quote]3) not a film, but i was horrified by the blind school burning down on little house on the prairie

That was terrible, R45, but not as bad as when the school for the deaf orphans burned down. Poor little waifs screamed their arms off.

by Anonymousreply 402March 5, 2014 8:03 PM

R398, I remember reading some blog entry about moments in Disney animated movies that are still scary as an adult, and while I watched them and found most of them underwhelming, the Pinocchio transformation scene was truly terrifying. I don't really have any memories of it from when I was a child, but as an adult it really unsettled me. I must have blocked it out of my memory as a child or something.

by Anonymousreply 403March 5, 2014 8:35 PM

R 346: One was a made-for-TV mystery movie where a bunch of guest go to a home and get murdered one by one, you know the drill. But one lady was swimming in the pool and found she couldn't get out because the top of the water had turned to glass, so she drowned. Scared the hell out of me.

I remember the pool scene. that was TERRIFYING

by Anonymousreply 404March 5, 2014 9:08 PM

Pluto Nash. The whole damn film.

by Anonymousreply 405March 5, 2014 9:11 PM

When I was four or five years old, we watched the Wizard of Oz on Thanksgiving, I think. It was the first time I'd ever seen it. The scene where the tornado takes the house and it's spinning, that whole sequence, terrified me. Then the bad witch and the damned flying monkeys. Scared the stuffing out of me.

by Anonymousreply 406March 6, 2014 1:28 AM

When I was little, the old Salem's Lot movie (mini series?) was on TV and though it's cheesy and laughable now that little boy scratching on the glass saying let me in! let me in!

Few years later, still a little kid, Amityville Horror comes on TV. Told not to watch. Sneak into the TV room at some point, turn on TV. Priest covered in flies. Volume on louder than I realized. Soon enough, voice yells GET OUT! and I jumped up, turned off the TV and ran back to my room.

by Anonymousreply 407March 6, 2014 1:33 AM

When I was fairly young (probably the late 1970s or early 1980s) I saw a movie on TV (not sure if it was made for tv or a Hollywood movie) of a woman who was swimming in a roof top swimming pool and someone closed the glass top to it and she drowned. Scarred me for life and I've never been able to find out where it came from.

by Anonymousreply 408March 6, 2014 1:33 AM

R408, is that "The Legacy?"

by Anonymousreply 409March 6, 2014 12:04 PM

Devastating, disturbing, life altering:

Bambi's mum being shot (made me anti-gun and a vegetarian at age 4); shower scene in Psycho (took baths well into adulthood); Jaws (won't go into any body of water, including a swimming pool, higher than my ankles); the scene in the first Alien film, where the alien comes out of Lance Henricksen's stomach.

by Anonymousreply 410March 6, 2014 12:40 PM

[11] I was terrified by that scene too and possibly scarred, as I still diligently close all the curtains in the house when it gets dark.

by Anonymousreply 411March 6, 2014 12:52 PM

The teeth gnashing dolls in Barbarella.

by Anonymousreply 412March 6, 2014 1:12 PM

This is a thread for Francis, since everything he "knows" about life came from movies.

by Anonymousreply 413March 6, 2014 2:32 PM

R409 That could be it, amazing! Still scared me, too

by Anonymousreply 414March 6, 2014 3:08 PM

OH I just saw R346 posted about the same thing! 2 of us have now been scarred for life by the same movie!

by Anonymousreply 415March 6, 2014 3:14 PM

when I was small The Poseidon Adventure was fucking terrifying. I could only watch parts, then I'd have to change the channel to calm down, but I'd always turn it back. when I was 15 or so I finally forced my self to watch the whole thing and it was still really scary.

theres also a story called Cutting Moments in a movie called Family Portraits: A Trilogy of America. a woman feels disconnected with her husband, and I think hes either raping her or their child (cant remember because what happens next is damaging to the brain) so to get his attention she scrubs her lips with a brillo pad then cuts them off with a pair of scissors.

by Anonymousreply 416March 6, 2014 3:20 PM

Some time when I was around 10 (in the mid-70's), there was a scene from a movie where a man is buried alive. That gave me nightmares for months.

by Anonymousreply 417April 20, 2014 4:20 AM

Omen II. The house was actually part of my high school. I was freaked out for a year. I was convinced one of my classmates was Damien. I was afraid to go in the row house alone.

by Anonymousreply 418April 20, 2014 2:48 PM

A couple of the Shelley Duvall "Faerie Tale Theatre" episodes scarred me as a child. The one where Mick Jagger places an Asian man in particular for some reason.

by Anonymousreply 419April 25, 2014 7:13 PM

Does anyone remember a 60's film where a woman (I think although it could have been a man) goes to bed and as their head hits the pillow they look up to find a guillotine blade crashing down toward their neck? Someone I got a glimpse of it, was horrified and I slept for months with my stuffed animal across my neck in case there was one hanging above my head that I couldn't see.

by Anonymousreply 420June 28, 2015 4:31 PM

In Michael Schaak's 1994 animated anthropomorphic-neo-noir (yes, really) FELIDAE, there's a fight sequence between two cats where one literally and graphically tears the insides out of the other.

It was an inventive, one-of-a-kind and even powerful film on a level with films like Don Bluth's NIMH, but I still wish I'd never seen that particulate scene play out. I first saw it in gradeschool on VHS when a kooky misfit friend I had put it on at a play date at her house, so who knows how she turned out as an adult.

Somehow the fact that it's a cartoon (which English-speakers are conditioned to see as cute, funny and often PG) it makes it so much worse. And this is coming from someone who loves Fritz Lang et al.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 421September 17, 2017 12:31 PM

The transformation scene from The Beast Within was traumatizing to me as a kid.

by Anonymousreply 422October 15, 2018 11:49 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!