Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why is Ralph Macchio So Weird?

He looks and acts...strange, doesn't he? He seems a little "touched in the head". Why is he like that? He used to be such an adorable kid. Now he looks like he's been through Hell and back. Washed up and still has the voice of a 14 yr old.

by Anonymousreply 79June 29, 2018 11:48 PM

Betty Buckley "made him a man" on the Eight Is Enough set. It scarred him for life.

by Anonymousreply 1May 22, 2011 4:28 AM

Wow op he does kind of look "special." Maybe it's a Forest Gump type situation.

by Anonymousreply 2May 22, 2011 4:33 AM

His son is not a looker.

by Anonymousreply 3May 22, 2011 4:34 AM

He was a painfully shy person and kind of an innocent. Still is squeaky clean. I'd heard he had something like a nervous breakdown a while back. %0D %0D He went thru a real bad time with not being able to work, and then not being able to find work. I'm kind of hoping the DWTS appearance will help him re-start a career. %0D %0D He was a good actor, and he's certainly a very "square" but likeable guy. It seemed like there was a lot of love from the audiences @ DWTS.

by Anonymousreply 4May 22, 2011 4:38 AM

He stood up to the bully and we all lived vicariously through him. Now his seeming vunerability makes us fiercely protective of him. A pact was formed long ago and we will not be the ones to break it.

by Anonymousreply 5May 22, 2011 4:45 AM

Normally I would never do a 50 yr old but, when that 50 yr looks 30, I would do him in a heartbeat.

by Anonymousreply 6May 22, 2011 9:44 PM

Does he have any Hollywood friends? Sodapop, Ponyboy, etc?

by Anonymousreply 7May 22, 2011 9:48 PM

Pnoyboy was his main BFF. you mean they aren't still friends? Would be nice if Soda Pop would give him a call, ya know? Seems like Dallas woulda got in touch at some point, too.%0D Steve went nuts...or so I've heard.

by Anonymousreply 8May 22, 2011 10:06 PM

He was victimized as a teenager after Karate Kid

by Anonymousreply 9May 22, 2011 10:17 PM

How so?

by Anonymousreply 10May 22, 2011 10:27 PM

He's in a long term marriage, bringing up his kids normally. He seems a lot more normal than most people in Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 11May 22, 2011 10:58 PM

He's the nicest guy and he and Karina should be in the finals, but they're not and that sucks. %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 12May 22, 2011 11:07 PM

Child star = big time sexual abuse.

by Anonymousreply 13May 22, 2011 11:10 PM

Why are you guys dissing on him?! He's perfectly normal. How would you like being called 'Strange' or 'weird' or 'touched in the head'? Hm? I don't like it, I'm sure he doesn't and you wouldn't either so stop dissing. I love Ralph just the way he is. %E2%99%A5

by Anonymousreply 14May 25, 2011 2:35 AM

I think the guy is rather hot. I don't get any pings, but I'd like a ping or two. He's doing something right, he's not aging like most of the public. If he were gay, I'd make an effort to arrange a meeting.

by Anonymousreply 15May 25, 2011 2:48 AM

[quote]Child star = big time sexual abuse.

Ralph wasn't a child star. He got his start doing commercials when he was around 17 or 18.

by Anonymousreply 16May 25, 2011 2:55 AM

He was good in Ugly Betty not so long ago.

by Anonymousreply 17May 25, 2011 2:58 AM

Teen star..Yes, not child star.

by Anonymousreply 18May 25, 2011 2:58 AM

Is there any nude pics?

by Anonymousreply 19May 25, 2011 2:58 AM

I think he has a haunted, secret coke and gay orgy feel about him.

by Anonymousreply 20May 25, 2011 3:16 AM

How in the hell is Ralph weird? Because he's doesn't talk filthy and act like like an overgrown child like Kirstie? Unbelieveable! Just because a man is a nice guy and raises his kids and has been married to the same woman for almost 25 years he's weird? smdh.

by Anonymousreply 21June 7, 2011 4:39 AM

R21 = frau

by Anonymousreply 22June 7, 2011 4:42 AM

Couldn't agree more with last post. Nothing weird about him and I think he might be doing DWTS as an audition of sorts for Bwy - his height and style would look good in a musical. His long arms remind me of Tommy Tune. WHHT Tommy Tune, byw?

by Anonymousreply 23June 7, 2011 4:44 AM

I worked on DANCING; he's a sweetheart, not 'weird' at all.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 24June 7, 2011 5:26 AM

Unreal. A d-list has been that everyone is slobbering over. Lol. You people need to get a life.%0D %0D Honestly, "Dancing With the Stars" is so pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 25June 7, 2011 5:59 AM

Pathetic and yet you felt the need to comment on it. I wonder what that says about your R25. I may be wrong here, I'm no doctor, but I think it says you're an asshole. I'll see if I can get the verified for you.

by Anonymousreply 26June 7, 2011 6:14 AM

He's EYE-talian, OP!

by Anonymousreply 27June 7, 2011 6:23 AM

26: Thanks! Get back to me asap. Look forward to hearing from you. Hugs.

by Anonymousreply 28June 8, 2011 3:56 AM

He might be a nice guy, but I felt like he came off as kind of whiny on DWTS.

by Anonymousreply 29June 8, 2011 4:08 AM

R25 is CORRECT!

by Anonymousreply 30June 8, 2011 4:18 AM

I eat shit.

by Anonymousreply 31June 8, 2011 4:38 AM

[R25] Who the hell is slobbering over him? I for one do not watch stupid ass Dancing With The Stars and think the show is stupid, but I also think it's stupid to call Ralph weird when he hasn't even done anything wrong. He seems pefectly nice in interviews. Guess you must like trash like Kirstie Alley who constantly talks nasty, saying shit like "I'm gonna stab myself in the vag if I don't win tonight".

by Anonymousreply 32June 8, 2011 4:39 AM

I'd say the weirdness appears more in the posters here than in Mr. Macchio, who simply seems rather inept, awkward and halting. The OP exaggerates about the "hell and back" look, and the "voice of a 14 yr. old."

But the weirdness started with her.

by Anonymousreply 33June 8, 2011 4:49 AM

HE;S SO WEIRD! I ET IT"S ARRWSATED DEVELOPMENT OF THEY CHINESE GYU MOLESTED HEIMAND GAVE HIM RTHE AISDS!

by Anonymousreply 34June 8, 2011 4:54 AM

He lives in East Hampton. How has he supported himself and his family during the last 25 years?

by Anonymousreply 35June 8, 2011 6:50 AM

At almost 50 he is still very doable.

by Anonymousreply 36June 8, 2011 7:21 AM

He gets "Karate Kid" residuals.%0D

by Anonymousreply 37June 8, 2011 11:29 AM

I didn't recognize him at first on "Ugly Betty" as Hilda's boyfriend--he's cute in a dorky sort of way.

by Anonymousreply 38June 8, 2011 11:46 AM

Ughh listen. There is nothing wrong with Macchio he aint wired at all so yeah. What u said about Ralph Macchio iz mean!!!! Seriously!why post something like that? Im a huge Ralph Macchio fan and dont u ever insult ralph macchio like that

by Anonymousreply 39September 23, 2014 12:57 AM

This proves that threads need an expiration date.

by Anonymousreply 40September 23, 2014 4:12 AM

Did he and C Thomas Howell have sex?

by Anonymousreply 41September 23, 2014 4:14 AM

Ralph Macchio looks fantastic for his age. He turns 53 next month.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42September 23, 2014 4:18 AM

Is he still fat?

by Anonymousreply 43October 20, 2014 2:09 PM

Always got more of an intensity and a loneliness from him, more than any 'weird' characteristics (at least, in his acting). R20 has it - it's that he's got a secretive and sensitive side to him, which is an intriguing quality on film. It's a shame more of his roles didn't bring it out.

As for his looks, he remained boyishly beautiful well into his 30's. His unrequited kiss with true oddball Eric Stoltz in NAKED IN NEW YORK is achingly sad and one of the most tense and heartbreaking gay kisses of 90's film, if only for Macchio's serious performance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44August 17, 2016 9:57 PM

He looks retarded to me

by Anonymousreply 45August 17, 2016 10:04 PM

He's a weirdo all right

by Anonymousreply 46August 17, 2016 10:16 PM

I don't find him weird at all. In fact, he seems to have come out as normal as possible, living a quiet life with a spouse and kids. He did well to avoid getting sucked into the Hollywood jet-set vortex.

by Anonymousreply 47August 18, 2016 5:32 AM

He wears a hairpiece.

Great guy.

by Anonymousreply 48August 18, 2016 6:24 AM

He's probably the most normal former star to ever live, especially considering he got big in the coke-fuelled 80's.

The only thing weird about him is how he turned out not only clean/sober & sane but also humane, humble and an all-round solid dude (as well as articulate). He's even good-humored about the perceptions people have of him, clear from the way he self-deprecates all the time in interviews. He should be the poster-guy for how to live gracefully & continue to work as someone formerly very famous, to stay grounded and to get smarter as you age.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49August 25, 2016 7:43 PM

Doubtful R41, since Howell was very well underage when he first met drinking-aged Macchio (who looked extremely young for his actual age). They also hated each other and bitch-fought constantly working on Outsiders. It was their characters that had feelings for one other.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50August 29, 2016 10:50 AM

You guys weren't kidding, the guy has aged extremely well. I still think it's funny his character wasn't allowed to get laid in the last Karate Kid because of his wife.

by Anonymousreply 51August 29, 2016 10:58 AM

He's aged very well and he has lived a normal life. Everything that the jealous bitches on DL hate.

by Anonymousreply 52August 29, 2016 11:56 AM

Seems like a nice guy. The wig is icky tho.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53August 29, 2016 12:08 PM

[quote] His character wasn't allowed to get laid in the last Karate Kid because of his wife.

Yikes. Was this by request of Ralph or his darling wife? Guess he doesn't seem the type to sleep around so it's not a stretch for him...

Either way, it's fucking weird. He's an actor, for Christ's sakes, the craft demands that he perform in lovescenes. Besides, he never was cast opposite screen sirens, and honestly there's nothing less romantic and sexy than filming a lovescene anyway so there's little chance of him hooking up in the aftermath of doing one.

This explains why he always looks so thirsty and drags it out during kiss scenes, though. In KK1 Daniel-san tries to scoop out Ali's tonsils with his tongue for like 10secs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54August 29, 2016 12:36 PM

Accoring to imdb it was Ralph's idea to keep the relationship platonic because he didn't want his wife to be jealous. Which sounds fucking ridiculous i mean it's a movie.

by Anonymousreply 55August 29, 2016 12:57 PM

Yikes! R53 his hairpiece is all askew. He looks better without it. I thought he was always kind of awkward and dorky. He always seemed like a nice guy though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56August 29, 2016 1:43 PM

That hairpiece looks like it was drawn on the original picture with Win 95's paint program and a mouse, by a THIRD grader.

by Anonymousreply 57August 29, 2016 2:03 PM

Lmao really R55? If true (it's an IMDB fact, so grains of salt people) he's majorly whipped and that's hilarious. Whatever you're doing is working, Mrs. Macchio!

by Anonymousreply 58August 29, 2016 5:11 PM

[quote] He's in a long term marriage, bringing up his kids normally. He seems a lot more normal than most people in Hollywood.

Your flyover is showing. Most people here are exactly like most people everywhere else. They are in long term marriages, bringing up kids, boring as fuck.

by Anonymousreply 59August 29, 2016 7:47 PM

R55 maybe he vetoed a romantic subplot with a woman (using his wife as an excuse) in the hope Columbia Pictures would write a gay flirtation for Daniel in it's place ("hey, it's the 80's..."). It could have worked out. Ralph Macchio does well with homoerotic shades in his movies (see The Outsiders, Crossroads, My Cousin Vinny, Hitchcock).

by Anonymousreply 60August 30, 2016 1:04 AM

He's Italian?

by Anonymousreply 61August 30, 2016 6:39 AM

He still has the shoes he wore making The Outsiders :(

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62August 31, 2016 12:46 PM

Watching NINY over, it's wild what a self-serving, spineless asshole Stoltz's character is. Macchio's character calls him a bastard for thinking with his dick and throwing his friends under the bus, but frankly that doesn't seem punishment enough. Still, would've been cool to see them hatefuck it out, instead of the dream sequence of Stoltz naked on a beach with bush in full glorious technicolor. You have to wonder if Executive Producer Scorcese would have done something different or more interesting with the whole conflicted-gay character thing, Ralph did all the work here.

by Anonymousreply 63September 3, 2016 12:31 AM

He never quite warmed up to his funny, sassy, party-hardy & gorgeous DWTS partner Karina, did he? At least not in a way cameras or the studio audience picked up. It felt like he had a great time dancing with her in rehearsal but once there were eyes on him he had these cold walls up. He never quite got physically close to her as necessary for the contest dances, and there was panic in his eyes when she showed him affection (kiss on the cheek after a good score, etc.). She is all kinds of fun, so wth was his problem?

Was the chemistry bad? Did they argue? Was he frustratingly bad as a dancer? (Unlikely, he trained as a kid) Could he have made a pass at her and it got awkward (or she knocked him back?) Reports are he's a gentlemanly type so if he was attracted to her, he might have beat himself up about liking a much younger woman. Or maybe sexy, outgoing & confident women just terrify him and he can't truly relax around them properly? (or women in general terrify him, which explains how his Jersey wife manages to keep his leash so tight). Ijdk, something about his DWTS performance was curiously asexual.

He's so nice to paps and fans, though, probably the nicest around. Most guys his age still getting pestered by fanboys would be aggressively shunning all approaches, but he is just sunny and happy to chat. Insane.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64September 6, 2016 1:16 AM

I thought he was hot on Eight is Enough, couldn't believe when I read that he was nearly 20 when he was on that show.

by Anonymousreply 65September 6, 2016 1:47 AM

Nothing weird about Macchio. Just my type.

by Anonymousreply 66September 6, 2016 1:47 AM

He's got a kooky independent feature coming out soon, called LOST CAT CORONA.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67September 6, 2016 6:34 PM

The way he tells it, he's either had sex with only one person (his wife) his entire life, or he started his sex life very early (13 or 14 years old) and after having his fun decided to get serious at high-school age. He was a handsome & charming (& rich) young man and had the attention of many girls, so it was an intriguing choice to take a wife so early and remain celibate with her (if that is indeed what he really did).

If it's true, he's obviously a romantic.

[quote] Macchio & his wife Phyllis, a nurse practitioner, were childhood sweethearts. "You're gonna get a cavity hearing this, that's how sweet all this is," he says, explaining that he met his future wife at his cousin's 16th birthday party. "Before all the quote-unquote fame hit, we just knew each other. And as time went by, we just kept realising that we still wanted to be together.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68September 10, 2016 12:44 PM

He's talented and deserves more work. Even so, he could have squeezed more work out of his offbeat-pretty tomboy looks, if he'd wanted to.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69September 14, 2016 12:53 PM

He held his own at the Comedy Central Roast for Rob Lowe last week.

Wasn't he teaming up with Mario Cantone for some project?

by Anonymousreply 70September 14, 2016 1:10 PM

Ralph took pictures and hung out with Boardwalk Empire's Vincent Piazza at the Brooklyn Hospital Center Annual Founder’s Ball (Sep 13, 2016).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71September 19, 2016 11:57 AM

R55 it's so bizarre that Mrs. Macchio was allegedly holding him by the sackskin like that. Do all Jersey Wives do like that? No-one would expect an everyday average grown-ass straight man to acquiesce like he did to her, unless a) he's into it OR b) she's Mob Princess so he more or less has to agree to whatever she says if he wants to keepa-his-balls. The idea of Macchio liking the collar a little too much & subbing out is a fun one, and you can totally see it happening - it's always the quiet ones that are into that shit.

But if he's red-blooded sex-loving straight like he claims, he probably ignored the agreement like all good husbands and got it on with gorgeous teenage Robyn Lively behind-the-scenes of KKIII anyway (like in the Bonsai shop). Just don't tell the Old Lady!

Of course there is that wild-card 3rd option, c) he's gay or asexual, so the stipulation did not affect him...

by Anonymousreply 72September 22, 2016 1:37 PM

Maybe he loves his wife, but cheated on her early on (like around the time of KKIII) and she gave him an ultimatum. It would explain why he's nervous and closed off with attractive women around.

by Anonymousreply 73September 22, 2016 10:58 PM

That sounds like a probable scenario R73, and a common predicament in the world of married straights.

Karina Smirnoff was cast in Macchio's own directorial debut, ACROSS GRACE ALLEY, so Mrs. Macchio is cool with her? Ralph has called Karina a 'family friend' in interviews (aww) so maybe there really was nothing going on there.

by Anonymousreply 74October 4, 2016 12:07 PM

Pic of OP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75October 4, 2016 7:58 PM

NY Islanders have a new bobblehead of Daniel-san, complete with crane-kick action. Macchio has been a fan since childhood, and saw them win their first Stanley Cup.

[quote] Macchio grew up in Dix Hills, N.Y., where he resides today, and his bond with the Islanders remains stronger than a bull. Hockey was actually on the periphery of Macchio’s interest level during childhood, but he became hooked when he learned that the experience of a professional sporting event was 25 minutes away and witnessed the bond that existed between the Islanders and the community. “They were the Islanders. We were Islanders,” Macchio said. “It wasn’t the city’s team. It wasn’t a corporate franchise team. It was the people’s team.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76October 26, 2016 12:29 PM

Mr. Macchio in all his handsome-ness turns 55 this Friday.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77October 31, 2016 8:26 PM

My new series is getting renewed in 2019 and 2020, and currently has 100% Fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes.

You were saying, OP?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78June 22, 2018 8:54 AM

Quoth my mother, after seeing a recent pic of him: "I thought that was a tiny lesbian in those kung-fu movies."

by Anonymousreply 79June 29, 2018 11:48 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!