Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Ancient Aliens

Is it a crock of shit ot do you believe it?

by Anonymousreply 155May 7, 2018 10:44 AM

Would you like a free stress test?

by Anonymousreply 1May 17, 2011 11:59 PM

I don't know, but I think it highly unlikely.%0D

by Anonymousreply 2May 18, 2011 12:09 AM

Is this a thread about Salma Hayek?

by Anonymousreply 3May 18, 2011 12:15 AM

What's up with that carving in South America of this ancient person/alien looking like they're operating a rocket ship?

by Anonymousreply 4May 18, 2011 12:19 AM

link, r4?

by Anonymousreply 5May 18, 2011 12:25 AM

Here you go, R5. It's Maya actually.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6May 18, 2011 12:32 AM

There is only one Ra!

by Anonymousreply 7May 18, 2011 12:34 AM

I saw a picture of some Egyptian god or pharoah once that looked like he was coming down out of the sky in some kind of spacecraft. It was on one of those ancient alien type shows. I think it would be interesting but we could just be projecting wishful thinking into these images.

by Anonymousreply 8May 18, 2011 12:37 AM

Well, the Sumerians not only believed "it"; they wrote of "it" on thousands of clay tablets.

Indians wrote thousands of texts on vimanas, including detailed technical drawings.

by Anonymousreply 9May 18, 2011 12:44 AM

More:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10May 18, 2011 12:47 AM

More:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11May 18, 2011 12:48 AM

Why do the Giza pyramids line up so perfectly with Orion? And what about the Nazca Lines? Why would they need to do that if they weren't signaling something from the sky?

by Anonymousreply 12May 18, 2011 12:54 AM

All of this shit has been easily debunked.

But no, that won't do for the believers. They just ignore the evidence presented and go on with their ridiculous little fantasies.

Fuck you all for not using logic and sense and science to make decisions about bullshit like this.

by Anonymousreply 13May 18, 2011 12:57 AM

If that's a real cave painting in the link at R10, it's a little hard to explain.

by Anonymousreply 14May 18, 2011 12:59 AM

Stop with all the unnecessary anger R13 and explain what you know. I'd be willing to hear it.

by Anonymousreply 15May 18, 2011 1:01 AM

Frankly, r13, you are the one spouting crap.

Try reading some books on the Sumerians.

by Anonymousreply 16May 18, 2011 1:06 AM

R13 even if I don't believe it I find it very interesting and I could believe that more than the idea of a god. More on ancient aliens please.

by Anonymousreply 17May 18, 2011 1:12 AM

There seems to be a common thread among the various ancient cultures about chariots of fire and the heavens and people being taken up.%0D I'm sorry, but couple that with the spectacular architectural finds the drawings texts, religious beliefs etc. and I think there is some basis for people thinking that we were "visited" by 'others.'

by Anonymousreply 18May 18, 2011 1:18 AM

I agree R18 but the show is ridiculous. The eventual conclusion on all these mysteries: Ancient Aliens. Nothing else is plausible to these people.

by Anonymousreply 19May 18, 2011 1:25 AM

What's so incredible about ancient aliens?

I mean, people bought my story about a horn dog from the Planet Kolob named Heavenly Father and one of his sons, Jesus, who invaded the new world?

by Anonymousreply 20May 18, 2011 1:28 AM

Well anyway, I like looking at that one dude on Ancient Aliens with the Greek-sounding name and the wild hair. He's VERY enthusiastic about the subject.

by Anonymousreply 21May 18, 2011 6:09 AM

Given the great distances involved, I'd say no, there haven't been any ancient alien visitations. Which is too bad, because it's a interesting idea.

Aliens breaching the barriers between dimensions and traveling from another earth to visit this one for a short time, might actually be more plausible.

by Anonymousreply 22May 18, 2011 6:54 AM

A better question is why people would rather believe that spectacular feats of engineering had to be done by green men and not brown ones. Greek and Roman buildings are attributed to Greeks and Romans. Egyptian, Mayan and Indian are attributed to aliens.

by Anonymousreply 23May 18, 2011 7:39 AM

How else do you explain human penis size being way larger in proportion to the body compared to apes? There were definitely some size queen aliens intervening in our DNA.

by Anonymousreply 24May 18, 2011 7:45 AM

We believe!!!

by Anonymousreply 25May 18, 2011 7:48 AM

I'm skeptical of ancient alien influence on early humans. If they came, why did they not come back? Moreover, while it appears there was a sudden technological boom about 10000 years ago, these things are notoriously difficult to date, and deny millions of years of patient development, both genetically and technological, which early humans had already made. It's not as if we woke up one day and said 'awesome, we now have opposable thumbs'. And it's equally unlikely that ancient astronauts came and dropped off some useful hints before flying off. Not impossible. Just improbable.

by Anonymousreply 26May 18, 2011 8:17 AM

I love Ancient Aliens all because of the over-moussed and extra-orange Giorgio Tsoukalos!%0D %0D https://www.facebook.com/giorgiotsoukalosfans?sk=wall

by Anonymousreply 27May 18, 2011 2:49 PM

Giorgio is Erich Von Daniken's protege ... And I like to believe that they a also lovers.

by Anonymousreply 28May 18, 2011 2:58 PM

"Given the great distances involved, I'd say no, there haven't been any ancient alien visitations. Which is too bad, because it's a interesting idea."

It's quite possible they're from within our solar system. There's evidence there might be a brown dwarf lurking in the outer reaches of our system if it has planets, they could support life. Living on a planet of little light might also make the Greys, grey.

The other theory is, once a civilization reaches a certain point in its evolution the natural progression is artificial life replacing organic.

The ancient Sumerians talked about a robotic race that oversaw their civilization (and it was from within our solar system).

by Anonymousreply 29May 18, 2011 3:08 PM

^of course it's all fanciful speculation but still fun.

by Anonymousreply 30May 18, 2011 3:09 PM

We're their pets. Or livestock.

by Anonymousreply 31May 18, 2011 3:20 PM

Human culture was a tidal culture so rising sea levels have buried its evolution. That's what Graham Hancock says about the origin of civilization and it sounds good to me. Mr. von Danikin was a little crazy.%0D

by Anonymousreply 32May 18, 2011 3:26 PM

That's who I was talking about R27 but I couldn't spell his name.

by Anonymousreply 33May 18, 2011 3:27 PM

Keep in mind that an artificial race would have all the time in the universe to explore even at speeds only approaching light, so 40 or 100 year travel times between systems isn't all that bad.

Also probably the only advanced aliens they'd meet would also be artificial.

It's possible they'd reach the conclusion that artificial life is inevitable and attempt to skew human evolution in that direction over millennia -when human evolution left in its natural state would probably never exit the 18th century in terms of technology.

by Anonymousreply 34May 18, 2011 3:28 PM

Girogio and von d are insane, and yet I love them. They just LOVE ancient aliens theory, which is refreshing in a world a cold clinical science. Plus, I don't care what facts can disprove their points, I find their theories very interesting,at the very least. And what about all of those sites found in turkey dating back like 14000 years or something. At the very least, it calls our current timelines in to question.

by Anonymousreply 35May 18, 2011 3:31 PM

r23, the Greek and Roman temples are as ant-hills compared to the ancient pyramids of Egypt and Central/South America, not to mention Stonehenge, Baalbek, Carnac, Sacsayhuaman, and Puma Punku.

by Anonymousreply 36May 18, 2011 3:37 PM

The aliens travel dimensionally, warping both time and space. It is not a linear process.%0D %0D And yes, they have been here since the very beginning and we are their offspring in a sense, although we also have a unique evolution.

by Anonymousreply 37May 18, 2011 3:58 PM

R37 you speak with such authority. Let me guess, you just asked your mom who your dad was.

by Anonymousreply 38May 18, 2011 4:16 PM

{quote] There's evidence there might be a brown dwarf lurking in the outer reaches of our system

I've not heard that theory. Is this something that's taken seriously in astronomy? I know there's been speculation of another sizable planet out in, or near, the Oort Cloud, but last I read orbital data and calculations had ruled that out.

by Anonymousreply 39May 18, 2011 4:46 PM

I love the idea of it. Interpreting ancient art and even the Bible with a sci-fi slant. Angels being spacemen in helmets (halos) and jetpacks(wings). Spaceships (Chariots of Fire).%0D %0D Reading it this way and realizing ancient civilizations didn't even have the words to describe something like steel or machinery or jets - the terminology could definitely be interpreted to be their way of describing spacemen, spaceships, etc.%0D %0D How would a man from ancient times desribe the world as it is today? Cars? Skyscrapers? Planes? Guns?

by Anonymousreply 40May 18, 2011 4:54 PM

for r39

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41May 18, 2011 5:12 PM

I love the way Giorgio Tsoukalos says extraterrestrials. He has a little trouble with that word.

by Anonymousreply 42May 18, 2011 5:21 PM

Thanks R41. I knew about Nemesis, but for some reason I was thinking he meant something else closer in.

by Anonymousreply 43May 18, 2011 6:00 PM

R42 = me too! LOL For people into alternative history I highly recommend FINGERPRINTS OF THE GODS by Graham Handcock.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44May 20, 2011 8:25 AM

I love this series. I think it's fascinating to speculate on this subject, and I like all the different angles they approach each phenomenon.

by Anonymousreply 45May 20, 2011 8:43 AM

Wasn't it proven that Microchonria Eve was an ancient alien and we were all descended from her?

by Anonymousreply 46May 20, 2011 9:19 AM

Shmi Skywalker was Midichlorian Eve.

by Anonymousreply 47May 20, 2011 2:54 PM

Datalounge is full of trolls today

by Anonymousreply 48May 20, 2011 3:07 PM

"Datalounge is full of trolls today"%0D %0D Your being here to comment proves that is correct.

by Anonymousreply 49May 20, 2011 3:27 PM

Yes. They crossed the land bridge from Asia during the last ice age. None of them had passports or green cards.

by Anonymousreply 50May 20, 2011 11:48 PM

I had sex with them

by Anonymousreply 51May 20, 2011 11:54 PM

They drummed them out of the universe and then they came crawling back to Earth. Well, Earth doesn't go for booze and pills.

by Anonymousreply 52May 20, 2011 11:55 PM

Maybe ancient humans used to have space travel?

by Anonymousreply 53May 21, 2011 1:42 AM

The AA scenarios I like are the ones in which the universe, either through 'cosmic' shift or aliens basically fucked with primate DNA making us. Basically, intelligent design - though proponents of the idea hate that term and its fundie associations.

by Anonymousreply 54May 21, 2011 1:51 AM

by Anonymousreply 55May 28, 2011 10:06 PM

Bump for season 2. Gorgio is back and his hair is better than EVER!

by Anonymousreply 56August 1, 2011 12:53 PM

I want to believe.

by Anonymousreply 57August 1, 2011 12:55 PM

Mitochondrial Eve?

by Anonymousreply 58August 1, 2011 12:57 PM

Cowboys and aliens: based on real life? Aurora, Texas: the "smoking gun" of ancient alient theory!

by Anonymousreply 59August 1, 2011 1:14 PM

The whole "alien visitation" theory is EXACTLY the same as the whole "God" theory.%0D %0D It denies the ability of humans to have evolved of and in their own right - which is more than a little patronising.%0D %0D I'd love for aliens to exist, but have a horrible feeling that if we do ever find them, all we will be able to do is communicate over vast distances and vast periods of time...%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 60August 1, 2011 1:21 PM

The idea that the human race did evolve to the 20th century technology, but then destroyed itself with nuclear weapons a million years ago is an interesting theory.

by Anonymousreply 61August 1, 2011 2:47 PM

Love the show... interesting theories, good production values, and Giorgio's enthusiasm...and hair!

by Anonymousreply 62August 1, 2011 5:21 PM

interesting...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63August 1, 2011 5:25 PM

Fascinating video...good bump.

by Anonymousreply 64August 1, 2011 6:11 PM

r60, then how do you explain our very existence? i.e., if we are having this conversation, this way, is it not plausible that another two beings somewhere else in the universe are, as well...only doing so in half the time, or with only their minds.

Is it not plausible to think that while the human species has created machinery that orbits it's Earth and sends machinery to Mars, that other, more advanced species have evolved over trillions of years more.

Or are we just repeating what's already happened?

To me, alien injection into this species does make sense. Our thought. Our imagination. Our inability to use 3/4 of our brains.

by Anonymousreply 65August 1, 2011 10:35 PM

Ancient Alien, Exhibit 'A'

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66August 1, 2011 11:06 PM

Has anybody here read any of William Henry's books he talks about stargates a lot.%0D Since Borders is closing I am making a list of books to get.

by Anonymousreply 67August 2, 2011 1:12 PM

"I don't care what facts can disprove their points" That's the spirit, you idiot.

by Anonymousreply 68August 2, 2011 4:11 PM

Good video here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69August 2, 2011 4:16 PM

The arguments, fallaciously based on the premise that ancient humans were not capable of amazing accomplishments, and that ancient humans wouldn't imagine the extraterrestrial - when of course they could (isn't that what gods were?) - but had to be presented with actual visitation, doesn't convince me.%0D %0D But that doesn't mean it's out of the realm of possibility.

by Anonymousreply 70August 2, 2011 4:23 PM

The body of the Sphinx and the walls that enclose it bear unmistakeable evidence of water erosion from rain pouring down for centuries even though it is known that the Sahara desert has had no significant annual rainfall for over 5,000 years.

This can only mean that the Sphinx is FAR older than it is generally credited to be.

Almost certainly the Sphinx was once a large and proportionate statue of a lion that was transformed centuries by re-carving the lion's head into the head of a Pharaoh.

From a strictly mechanical point of view it is impossible to explain how the dynastic Egyptians could have created the Giza Pyramids and the Temple at Luxor with the tools and technology they are known to have possessed. We have no idea how these monuments were built. Anyone who claims that we have the answers to that mystery is ignorant of the subject.

by Anonymousreply 71August 2, 2011 4:34 PM

We're like the fishtanks in the Aliens' rumpus room. Low maintenance pets, don't really require much attention, and if we die, oh well.

by Anonymousreply 72August 2, 2011 4:38 PM

How are this show's ratings?

by Anonymousreply 73August 4, 2011 10:39 AM

I want to know more about cats being aliens.

by Anonymousreply 74August 4, 2011 10:47 AM

Of course we have been visited by aliens. There is no possible way that brown people could have mastered geometry, calculus, physics, astronomy, mathematics, or stunning architecture. Therefore, an alien race must have visited earth and taught the ugly, dumb brown people these things or even built their ancient monuments.

by Anonymousreply 75August 4, 2011 11:26 AM

Exactly, r75, although the ancient alien theorists don't restrict their underestimation of the ancients to brown people, as awful as that would be, but to others as well. They see evidence at Stonehenge for instance.

by Anonymousreply 76August 4, 2011 7:56 PM

WHAT CRIMES HAVE YOU COMMITTED, OP? HAVE YOU RAPED A BABY?

by Anonymousreply 77August 4, 2011 8:06 PM

Holy shit, the level of ignorance among DLers is much higher than I previously believed. You folks need to learn some basic logic and critical thinking skills and take a few science courses. ALL of the stupid shit you believe has been debunked over and over again, but you refuse to listen. You are all willfully ignorant and that is pathetic. And before you accuse me of being narrow-minded, being a skeptic and into science means having to be open-minded, but not so open-minded that we throw logic out the window. But you fuckwits just don't get that. For those of you who genuinely want to learn about reasonable explanations for all these anomalies, you can go to JREF and here is the Skeptic's Dictionary link to get you started.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78August 4, 2011 8:14 PM

If you believe in Aliens visiting the earth NOW, there's no reason they couldn't have in the past.

Some people think "God" is actually an alien(s) and that they did in fact create the earth (terraformed) and did make man in his (their) image.

And they continue to check in on us from time to time.

by Anonymousreply 79August 4, 2011 8:18 PM

[quote]Holy shit, the level of ignorance among DLers is much higher than I previously believed.

You folks need to learn some basic logic and critical thinking skills and take a few science courses. ALL of the stupid shit you believe has been debunked over and over again, but you refuse to listen.

You are all willfully ignorant and that is pathetic.

And before you accuse me of being narrow-minded, being a skeptic and into science means having to be open-minded, but not so open-minded that we throw logic out the window. But you fuckwits just don't get that.

For those of you who genuinely want to learn about reasonable explanations for all these anomalies, you can go to JREF and here is the Skeptic's Dictionary link to get you started.

[see offsite link on www.skepdic.com]

Have an alien-retentive enema...and some fun.

by Anonymousreply 80August 6, 2011 12:16 PM

R80 is no fun.

by Anonymousreply 81August 8, 2011 7:13 PM

"then how do you explain our very existence?"%0D %0D And who "made" the aliens? At the bottom of every science/religion debate about creation we're left with the very humbling idea that, at one time, something was created from NOTHING. I don't care how that happened - it's pretty fucking amazing. Either that or time/existence and the most basic building blocks of the universe itself literally has NO beginning. I can't even wrap my mind around that.

by Anonymousreply 82August 9, 2011 2:18 PM

"Why do the Giza pyramids line up so perfectly with Orion? And what about the Nazca Lines? Why would they need to do that if they weren't signaling something from the sky?"%0D %0D Why is it so difficult to conceive that ancient humans, who were proficient astronomers and highly concerned with the seasons, weather, theology, and astrology were both scientifically and ritualistically engaged with the cosmos for reasons other than perpetuating actual close encounters with extraterrestrials?%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 83August 9, 2011 5:47 PM

Ancient Alien bump

by Anonymousreply 84September 5, 2011 3:24 AM

There are ancient aliens living in Susan Lucci's pussy. And the have a serious odor.

by Anonymousreply 85September 5, 2011 3:34 AM

[quote]Why do the Giza pyramids line up so perfectly with Orion? And what about the Nazca Lines? Why would they need to do that if they weren't signaling something from the sky?

You think interstellar travelers who can navigate across galaxies can't find a specific spot on the planet unless someone builds pyramids and draws lines? Come on, think. Why would they need human help [italic]after[/italic] they'd successfully navigated here.

by Anonymousreply 86September 5, 2011 3:35 AM

Oh my fucking god. Why are gay people, gay people here, so fucking stupid?

Can't people in ancient times have imaginations or fantasies at all? We have teleportation on TV now. It does not mean we actually have that technology.

You guys are stupid beyond believe. Sigh.

by Anonymousreply 87September 5, 2011 5:28 AM

Gurl, you need to take your meds.

by Anonymousreply 88September 5, 2011 5:37 AM

R88. LOL

by Anonymousreply 89September 8, 2011 5:21 PM

It's all real

by Anonymousreply 90August 21, 2012 9:42 AM

Ancient Aliens live.

by Anonymousreply 91July 6, 2013 8:50 PM

Crock of shit.

Ancient people were much smarter and more technologically sophisticated than we give them credit for. No aliens required.

by Anonymousreply 92July 6, 2013 9:23 PM

According to ancient astronaut theorists...

by Anonymousreply 93July 7, 2013 12:59 AM

R92, Do you think that "ancient people" were much smarter in all areas or did just in some facets?

by Anonymousreply 94July 7, 2013 2:43 AM

They were in general smarter than we were. For one thing, they required more memory work, not having writing.

by Anonymousreply 95July 7, 2013 7:53 PM

R95, Perhaps only a handful were genius level brilliant in a few areas of their lives, like art and architecture, and directed the rest. If generations ago there was a DaVinci and a Beethoven, talents that have not since been duplicated, couldn't there have been others in earlier times?

by Anonymousreply 96July 7, 2013 8:00 PM

Can you imagine where we'd be if the Dark Ages didn't happen?

by Anonymousreply 97July 7, 2013 8:07 PM

I haven't read any theories that suggest that ancient humans were smarter than we are. Although I've read theories that suggest that the modern human brain is shrinking; however, this doesn't necessarily mean we are getting dumber. Many theorist conclude that our brain is becoming more efficient, quicker, and agile. Our smaller brains also suggest that we are domesticated and less competitive and aggressive, because for the most part, we live in cities/urban environments.

by Anonymousreply 98July 7, 2013 8:28 PM

R98, You're speaking overall, while I'm referring to a genius few. Not everyone would have to be brilliant to achieve the architectural wonders supposedly constructed by "alien beings."

by Anonymousreply 99July 8, 2013 2:10 AM

I love watching this show. Sure most of it bullshit but damn if it ain't entertaining.

by Anonymousreply 100July 8, 2013 5:51 AM

The stars of this show are not the ancient aliens. They are Giorio Tsoukalos and his head of hair.

by Anonymousreply 101October 18, 2013 1:40 PM

R6, I KNEW I had seen something very similar...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102October 18, 2013 2:32 PM

I'm not completely close-minded about our being visited by aliens in ancient times.

What I object to is the naive notion that ancient humans couldn't or wouldn't do the things they did without extraterrestrial help. That idea is preposterous and provides no prove to the thesis of ancient aliens. When the thesis turns to questioning whether early non-Europeans could have achieved advancements in engineering and art, it's laughably arrogant and just plain wrong. When the thesis turns to ancient literature and mythology containing descriptions of the fantastic, particularly visions in the sky, as proof that they were an actual recitation of close encounters, it is preposterous. Obviously, these descriptions could merely be fantasies, dream journals, or recitations of visionary experiences - whether psychologically genuine or completely fabricated it makes no difference - which have no relation to material reality.

by Anonymousreply 103October 18, 2013 2:59 PM

Educate yourself to reality.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104October 18, 2013 3:13 PM

I believe we were visited. That's doesn't take away from our ancient civilizations. Could both things be true? Ancient civilizations in Egypt, India, the Mayans, etc. could do things on their own. What I am saying is that it's possible we are some kind of "science experiment." Maybe the truth is closer to that damned fucked up movie, Prometheus, than we realize.

It's possible that some dying civilization on another planet, came here, and tried to start a new civilization, but they died out after they started "growing" us. We could be decendants from an ancient line started by Aliens.

Maybe they thought they messed up with all the apes & Neanderthals, and left, and eventually we sorted it all out through evolution. I'm not going to discount it. There are too many examples and the religious aspects, the similarities from one culture to another are too striking to dismiss.

by Anonymousreply 105October 18, 2013 4:56 PM

I like. Giorgios hair. It's gravity defying.

by Anonymousreply 106October 18, 2013 5:06 PM

Pumapunku

by Anonymousreply 107October 20, 2013 12:03 AM

Pure bullshit

by Anonymousreply 108October 20, 2013 1:25 AM

The human female suffers more than any other animal during childbirth on earth. There is no other animal that has babies with such large skulls that are out of proportion to the birth canal.

Birth should not be so difficult. Women should not be dying in childbirth. No other female animal dies in childbirth, unless the baby is extremely deformed.

The human baby is a deformity of sorts. It is also the most helpless of all newborn creatures on earth. Something is 'unnatural' about human birthing and babies.

And the only tissue in the human body that does not age, in males or females, is the clitoris.

Proof that we were created by The Lesbo Dyke Bitch Queen of the Pleiades.

by Anonymousreply 109October 20, 2013 1:38 AM

"And the only tissue in the human body that does not age, in males or females, is the clitoris."

Males have clitori?

by Anonymousreply 110October 20, 2013 1:42 AM

I was watching this show about a year ago, and one of their experts was a "Dr. Willie Dye, PhD." I found his credibility to be even more dubious than most of their commentators. This man seemed barely capable of forming a grammatical sentence.

So I visited his personal website, where he claims to hold not one, but NINE doctoral degrees. I screencapped this image from the site, just for posterity.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111October 20, 2013 1:43 AM

I'm Rh- so descended from reptiles not primates.

by Anonymousreply 112October 20, 2013 2:43 AM

No R112, it means you have Neanderthal ancestry.

by Anonymousreply 113October 20, 2013 2:50 AM

Lizard People.

by Anonymousreply 114October 20, 2013 1:52 PM

You're entitled to your own beliefs but not your own facts. Evidence for the evolution of human intelligence is substantial. Evidence for intergalactic travel, none whatsoever.

by Anonymousreply 115October 20, 2013 1:55 PM

R104? Your bias is showing.

I guess the Xtians have invaded DL -- again.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116October 20, 2013 3:14 PM

OK, so I am showing MY bias because that documentary goes off the rails at the end where they (not me) start talking about the possibility that all flood stories go back to a single incident?

Just because they are wrong on that particular notion doesn't make them wrong on any of their other debunking.

(And I don't even see how that makes that debunking "Christian.")

by Anonymousreply 117October 20, 2013 3:20 PM

Immanuel Velikovsky's "Worlds in Collision" explores the idea that a comet hit earth and caused global flooding, and formed the basis of flood stories all over the planet. Very interesting and compelling idea. I think during his time he was blackballed but his ideas have been vindicated over time.

by Anonymousreply 118October 20, 2013 3:25 PM

I don't suppose you clicked on my link, R117? The guy who made that film is a born-again, and believes the Bible is the literal translation of the word of god.

You remember that quote, don't you? "Every word she says is a lie, including 'an' and 'the'."

by Anonymousreply 119October 20, 2013 3:26 PM

R109 "I don't know nothin' 'bout birthin' babies!"

by Anonymousreply 120October 20, 2013 3:26 PM

Ancient civilizations all had flood stories because they all grew up on the flood plains where they could grow food. The Nile, the Tigris and Euphrates, The Indus, the Yellow River...

by Anonymousreply 121October 20, 2013 3:29 PM

I did click on your link. Did you? Did you read the discussion about how if the guy who created that video actually presents cogent arguments against Ancient Aliens' theories 98% of the time he has pretty much destroyed them?

Just because a logical argument comes from a fundamentalist Christian does not make it wrong if that argument has nothing to do with fundamentalism.

Are you really arguing that Ancient Aliens gets it right because the guy who destroys their arguments is a fundamentalist Christian?

by Anonymousreply 122October 20, 2013 3:32 PM

R118 Velikovsky had some way more outlandish theories as well. It's been decades since I read "Worlds in Collision", but I remember that he had a really strange theory about Venus.

by Anonymousreply 123October 20, 2013 3:34 PM

Oh no... Evangelicals vs. Ancient Alien theorists... 'Everything Mudd says is a lie.'

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124October 20, 2013 3:41 PM

People, it's all explained in Battlestar Gallactica.

by Anonymousreply 125October 20, 2013 3:43 PM

BG was repackaged Mormon doctrine. Joseph Smith should have gotten a writers credit.

by Anonymousreply 126October 20, 2013 3:47 PM

You are just being as blind as you accuse fundamentalists of being. Just because the guy is a Christian doesn't mean his arguments about medieval and mesoamerican iconography are wrong, for example.

In fact, if you watched the video you would know that at no point does he make a fundamentalist argument, that is, "Ancient Aliens is wrong because the Bible says so."

Even his flood theory specifically disagrees with the Biblical account because he does not claim that the Noah account is the original account but a descendant of a common account responsible for all the flood stories in the world. He's wrong, of course, but the argument he is making about the flood stories is not even fundamentalist.

by Anonymousreply 127October 20, 2013 3:49 PM

How is he 'wrong, of course,' for suggesting a common source for common themes in folklore?

And, R121, don't you think that people who grow up on flood plains, would be able to distinguish between seasonal rainfall and flooding, and A FLOOD. You can't honest think these people built boats every year and crammed in 2 of each animal to survive.

by Anonymousreply 128October 20, 2013 3:56 PM

Forget Ancient Aliens, so last season. The new thing is the blue people from the Inner Earth. There is an entrance in Antarctica and one in a cave system in Kentucky. Really people, try to keep up.

by Anonymousreply 129October 20, 2013 4:03 PM

He is wrong because it is a ridiculous notion that all flood stories, none of which have any really distinctive characteristics (except for the ones that are connected like the Sumerian one which was borrowed by the Hebrews), are all connected.

And you wildly misinterpret me and the flood legends. These ancient peoples are familiar with really disastrous floods that dwarf the usual annual floods and they interpret these unusual, non-annual floods as punishments from the gods.

So it is you who is apparently unable to distinguish between normal annual floods and the remarkable one time only floods recounted in the flood legends.

But for the sake of argument, let's say the debunker is right and all the flood stories go back to a historical flood. That neither makes the debunker wrong on every other point he makes in that film or the Ancient Aliens nutbags right on every point they make.

by Anonymousreply 130October 20, 2013 4:04 PM

Get back on your meds, R130. There's no need to lash out. I didn't say anything about their knowledge of anything at all.

Your post at R121 does not mention anything besides flood stories and flood plains. So I tried to clarify that seasonal floods would not be remarkable at all to those people.

How exactly am I not able to distinguish between types of floods, when I did, in my post at R128. It wasn't an attack, I was just pointing out that there is a considerable difference and the people living there would have been aware.

Aaaand, I didn't say he was wrong about anything in his little movie. I didn't even mention AA or AA Debunked.

Have a great day, if that's at all possible.

by Anonymousreply 131October 20, 2013 4:20 PM

Valiant Thor at link. If he was a hoax why would he get such treatment at the pentagon?

I can vaguely remember in the early 70s how UFO stories were reported in a more open-minded manner.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132October 20, 2013 4:33 PM

I'm quite calm and well, r130. You asked why the debunker was wrong to say all flood legends went back to a single source. I argued that all that is required to explain the flood legends is the fact that they all lived on flood plains in fear of the extraordinary flood that the gods might send to wipe them out.

And then you asked if I didn't think the ancient peoples could distinguish between annual floods and extraordinary floods that wiped out nearly all the world. I responded yes and that that was pretty much my point. You then leapt to the odd and completely unsupported notion that I thought ancient people got into arks every year, with 2 of each animal. I responded that that notion was nowhere in anything I said and certainly not what I meant.

The last comments brought it all back to the common theme of this thread and were not directly addressed to you.

by Anonymousreply 133October 20, 2013 4:35 PM

[quote]There's evidence there might be a brown dwarf lurking in the outer reaches of our system

You mean Chuy?

by Anonymousreply 134October 20, 2013 5:15 PM

Not that Annunaki / Nibiru shit again. The time that was supposed to pass nearby came and went. Lets let that fable rest and move on.

by Anonymousreply 135October 20, 2013 5:21 PM

This world is wondrous beyond belief, but it's also understandable that the tedium of daily 'getting by' and the pain of seeing that others have it better than you makes people long for there to be something more - be it UFOs, ghosts, Bigfoot or whatever else.

by Anonymousreply 136October 20, 2013 5:26 PM

The whole Ancient Aliens debate is going to end up like Oedipus...wherein we find out that the Ancient Aliens are us.

by Anonymousreply 137October 21, 2013 12:03 AM

R137 = Ridley Scott

by Anonymousreply 138October 21, 2013 12:05 AM

Giorgio Tsoukalos has another show on H2 right now, "In Search of Aliens," where he goes around the world, trying to solve ancient mysteries.

by Anonymousreply 139September 2, 2014 3:52 PM

It sounds like idiocy.

by Anonymousreply 140September 2, 2014 3:57 PM

People,that show is just satire,fucking with people,the same way Syfy is satire ,that`s all. You should view it that way and not for a second take it seriously.

by Anonymousreply 141September 2, 2014 4:19 PM

How do the 'experts' who appear on the show actually make a living? Or is there a huge market for promoting useless pseudoscience, that I'm not aware of?

by Anonymousreply 142September 2, 2014 4:39 PM

Love this show!! The first season was the best. Seems like they ran out of the good stuff after that

by Anonymousreply 143September 2, 2014 6:05 PM

Big-haired bump.

by Anonymousreply 144October 25, 2014 11:57 PM

I find the idea that ancient human civilization is far older than commonly believed and was extremely technologically advanced, but that civilization collapsed and most traces of it were destroyed over the millennia, far more interesting than ancient aliens.

by Anonymousreply 145October 30, 2014 10:49 PM

It's pretty much disinfo, with big-haired dorks as objects of convenient ridicule.

by Anonymousreply 146October 30, 2014 10:55 PM

Quite, R145.

by Anonymousreply 147October 31, 2014 12:58 AM

I am with R145.

And sorry about bumping an old thread. I actually wanted to discuss ancient civilizations, but this "ancient aliens" thread was the closet thing in the search engine.

I don't believe in ancient aliens. It has been debunked thoroughly. I also am an atheist, so have no religious bias, and am generally skeptical of any supernatural, anti-science conspiracy theory stuff except for the fun, scifi-like aspect of it. But...

I am intrigued by the notion that there were indeed advanced human civilizations thousands of years before what is commonly believed. It does not require beliefs in gods or aliens or anything else that makes humans seem inadequate, and there is nothing about this notion that even denies science. So I am interested in exploring it.

It just makes sense that this could have been the case. Evolutionary biologists can agree that modern humans have esisted for hundreds of thousands of years, and yet...recorded, civilized history is officially to have begun around just 6000 years ago in Mesopotamia with the Sumerians?.

It is also commmonly believed by geologists at least around the end of the last ice age (10,000-12,000 years ago) that sea levels would have risen considerably in a very short period of time. That combined with issues like comets and solar flares could indeed have brought catastrophe to any civilizations living at the time, and left only remnants of what came before (Giza pyramids, Nazca lines, other pyramid structures in Asia and Mexico/South America, Easter Island, etc.)

I believe humans built all that ourselves. No gods. No aliens. Us. It is intriguing to think that humans could have had advanced civilizations thousands of years before our current concept of history begins. Or maybe that it moves in cycles. Over and over. We build ourselves up. A cataclysm happens that wioes msot of us out. Some remnants are left behind. And we start over. Maybe it has repeated several times...

I just read about the water erosion on the Sphinx, and this does seem to fit with the facts that so many of the myth systems on our planet have flood myths. It would seem to indicate something DID happen, and the "it was gods punishment" was the only way less evolved subsequent people could explain it.

Then there is Plato and his description of Atlantis. Could it have been a real place?

Thoughts?

by Anonymousreply 148May 5, 2018 9:19 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 149May 5, 2018 11:35 PM

Come on, guys!

by Anonymousreply 150May 6, 2018 10:15 AM

Shock of Crit

by Anonymousreply 151May 6, 2018 11:57 AM

R151: I know "Ancient Aliens" is a crock of shit. But what about my points at R148? Nothing about that is supernatural, anti-science or conspiracy theory laden. It is just a belief in the possibility that civilization existed before what we now believe. No aliens. No gods. Just us.

I find that possibility fascinating, and it would explain why so many cultures built pyramids, had flood myths, etc. There appears to have at least been some common thread among those cultures, and they could have been much older than what we think.

Discuss.

by Anonymousreply 152May 6, 2018 12:59 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 153May 7, 2018 9:49 AM

Some believe the Greek and Roman gods were aliens. I don’t believe we’re alone in the universe but I have no view of ancient aliens, one way or another.

by Anonymousreply 154May 7, 2018 10:06 AM

Of course there are aliens. They are stealing sperm and forcing unwanted orgasms on us gays.

by Anonymousreply 155May 7, 2018 10:44 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!