Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Richard Burton Engaged in Sexual Activity Far Worse than Tiger Woods

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139February 16, 2020 9:50 PM

First off, he's dead so...

But more importantly, Tiger Woods sold an image of a clean-living, family man. Burton didn't.

by Anonymousreply 1May 15, 2011 3:13 AM

Hardcore alcoholics can't get it up that much.

by Anonymousreply 2May 15, 2011 3:16 AM

Lots of famous women claiming sex with the man.

by Anonymousreply 3May 15, 2011 3:25 AM

Sorry, OP, but I knew Richard Burton, and Tiger Woods is no Richard Burton.

by Anonymousreply 4May 15, 2011 3:31 AM

r1 is completely correct. Even when he was alive, Burton didn't cultivate an image as a pristine, devoted to his family kind of guy. He was a open boozer and womanizer from the get-go, so there was no hypocrisy involved.

by Anonymousreply 5May 15, 2011 3:37 AM

That's why when Liz was saying before she died that SHE and SHE ALONE was the one he loved & had all those letters from him I was non-plussed. I think I might have said something here about it too.

He loved ALL WOMEN, all of them, he found them all attractive as long as they had a vagina.

Liz was fooling herself that SHE was the one and only for him, he loved her, but she was just one of the many he had conquered. She was madly in love with him and had a fight with his last wife about being buried next to him in Switzerland (and lost the battle).

I love/d Liz & miss her but she was delusional and tried to spin the "great love" pr stuff about them.....it wasn't true on his end.

Then there was the stuff which came out about Liz and her servants who had to fuck her, the guy called her "old mattress".

by Anonymousreply 6May 15, 2011 3:39 AM

Burton was a talented natural writer. If you read his excerpts of his diaries, he really did love her. Didn't stop him from screwing around -- he adored her. Big fights but a lot of love and laughs. Booze, health problems, a huge entourage, family tragedies, and bad movie choice wore their marriage out in the end. They had quite a ride.

by Anonymousreply 7May 15, 2011 3:47 AM

Burton did love Taylor. The story about him wanting to get back together with her again, I'm not so sure I believe.

by Anonymousreply 8May 15, 2011 3:50 AM

Gossip! %0D %0D And where else, besides the Datalounge, would Burton and Woods be compared?%0D %0D Taylor herself, however, "got around", and God bless her for it. Hell, she probably had Simmons husband.%0D %0D My only quibble with the comparison is that, while Burton was one hubba-hubba, otoh, while watching Woods being interviewed, I've been more aroused watching grass grow.%0D %0D And I write this as a Woods fan who wants him to overtake Nicklaus's record of most majors won.

by Anonymousreply 9May 15, 2011 3:52 AM

He told Liz what SHE wanted to hear. You know she was instigating all of the correspondence between them and phone calls. Liz never let him go, but Richard had moved on from her.

by Anonymousreply 10May 15, 2011 3:56 AM

Wow! He beat Wilt Chamberlain's record.

by Anonymousreply 11May 15, 2011 3:59 AM

Totally believe the claims - Burton was a Scorpio. Scorpios are sluts.

by Anonymousreply 12May 15, 2011 4:00 AM

OP, are you 12 years old? Burton's reputation "stays intact" despite his having intercourse with many women while being married five time to four women? That reputation you refer to happens to be one of a gifted actor who threw away his talent for a life of hedonism, alcoholism, self-immolation and perverse egotism. What are you trying to prove, because all you're actually proving is that you are an uninformed, naive dolt, dear?

by Anonymousreply 13May 15, 2011 4:01 AM

Oh please; the inference is always that the black man is a heathen unable to contain his tawdry impulses. Woods was crucified all over the press.

Everyone knew what Burton was, and no one said a thing.

by Anonymousreply 14May 15, 2011 5:40 AM

The husband of Jean Simmons referred to was English actor Stewart Granger, but Simmons sleeping with Burton while married to Granger is only part of the story. Simmons was also a bit of a trollop, who besides Burton also slept with other men, including Marlon Brando and director Richard Brooks while married to Granger (and eventually divorced Granger to marry Brooks, after Brooks directed Simmons in ELMER GANTRY). Granger himself cheated on Simmons with English actress Margaret Leighton, and when Simmons divorced him he married Leighton. So while Burton was indeed a hound dog, neither Simmons nor her husband were completely innocent here or faithful to each other at the time.... and that's Hollywood!

by Anonymousreply 15May 15, 2011 6:01 AM

You're comparison is inapt, OP. INAPT!!%0D %0D OP: RACI$T LE$BIAN TROLL ALERT!!

by Anonymousreply 16May 15, 2011 6:02 AM

I think Richard Burton reminds me of Desi Arnaz when he brought prostitutes on the I Love Lucy set and Lucy ran off crying. Desi said, what is wrong with her? they are only whores. %0D %0D These womanizing guys have a twisted physophy on sex. Guys like Richard Burton thought and so many still think that if they have affairs with other women, its just sex and not love. They can't comprehend that many women don't view sexuality that way. A lot of women view sexuality as another form expressing love for one anther and it is an Internet special love. %0D %0D Also, I have read that Richard Burton had tons of pox marks all over his face. He drank so much that alcohol was oozing from his pox marks, which made him smell terribly. %0D %0D Richard Burton was an amazing actor and his quality of acting was on the level of the Old Vic. However, Richard Burton told someone that he had to act in many crappy roles, and in many awful films to pay for Liz's jewels and lavish lifestyle during their marriage. I think that was one of the factors that made him drink so much. The coroner who examined Richard Burton's body said his spinal cord was crystallized and very fragile from consuming mind-boggling amount of alcohol in his life. %0D Btw, I read here and there that Richard Burton was bisexual and had an affair with Laurence Olivier. Does anyone know if that is true? or if that is BS?%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 17May 15, 2011 6:29 AM

In an interview I read somewhere, Burton said he thought all actors were homosexual - and in his day, many of them repressed it for their image.

He said he tried homosexuality but it "just didn't work" for him. Maybe he had worries, like Cary Grant, that there was something wrong with being gay so he had psychological problems expressing his natural inclinations ??

Oh I don't know, but I'm pretty sure Burton would have been gay in another age. In the 1960's they were still prosecuting gay men - who was the math/computer genius who broke the German code during WWII - they treated him with hormones or some other kinds of drugs and he committed suicide?

In any case, maybe that's why he drank so much. What a sick era that was, in so many ways, and people are always yammering on about "The Best Generation". What bullshit. People are gradually becoming more intelligent and more evolved with time - can't remember the study but that was the upshot of it, and I agree.

Back in the 40's and 50's almost everybody worried about what everyone else would think of them - it dominated and ruined their lives.

by Anonymousreply 18May 15, 2011 6:38 AM

[17] So male thinking of sexuality is the only right way and women should fuck everyone without any emotional connection?

by Anonymousreply 19May 15, 2011 6:45 AM

This is R17, I meant the word in this sentence:%0D %0D expressing love for one anther and it is an Internet special love...%0D %0D It should be:%0D %0D %0D expressing love for one another and it is an intimate special love...%0D %0D %0D Sorry about that, LOL.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 20May 15, 2011 6:53 AM

Hey R18, have you heard that Cary Grant's daughter is writing a book, and in the book she says that her father loved people to think he was gay because he could get a lot of women this way? She said women wanted to have sex with him claiming they could make him straight. Think about this for a moment. Cary Grant was considered extremely handsome. He had women ogling at him all over the place. Now, why the hell would a guy like that who already could have had any female he wanted to embrace a strategy to get women to have sex with him? That is one of the most stupidest crock of crap I have ever heard. I can understand if the guy is a nobody average looking guy but Cary Grant? It sounds like Cary Grant's daughter is trying to keep her father's gayness in the closet. If her father was gay. His daughter sounds like a real jackass. Nice try honey, but that is a pretty lame explanation. %0D %0D Is it just me or is anyone here fed up with the children or family members of the famous are always trying to write books claiming that their father or mother wasn't gay when they really were? So many people from Hollywood want the public to believe that there were and are just a handful of gays in Hollywood.%0D

by Anonymousreply 21May 15, 2011 7:19 AM

r15 has it wrong. Simmons' husband Stewart Granger didn't marry or probably sleep with Margaret Leifghton - she was married to gay/bi Laurence Harvey, and then to Michael Wilding (Taylor's number two).%0D %0D Granger though probably screwed all his leading ladies too though - Deb Kerr, Ava, Grace Kelly (who also slept with all her co-stars) - they all probably did back in those days and could get away it. %0D %0D Burton had long affairs with Claire Bloom and then Susan Strasberg - he wrote in his diary before he died that Bloom was the real love of his life. Taylor made sure he and Bloom didnt get any time alone together when they were doing The Spy Who Came In From THe Cold. %0D %0D I will have to read the book on the Burton-Taylor letters, it should be quite entertainig. I saw Burton & Taylor in 1970 just as their movie careers were peaking.

by Anonymousreply 22May 15, 2011 7:24 AM

Cary Grant was extremely damaged by his mother - who turned out not to be his biological mother, who was actually a Jewish woman his father was screwing with, and he brought baby Cary - I mean baby Archie, home and the woman hated him with a passion because her husband had him while cheating on her. And then, she was a bitch anyway, and put him down constantly, and he grew up feeling inadequate and ashamed.

When she was in a retirement home, he took his baby there to prove to her he wasn't gay and to try to get some respect or affection from her - that's pitiful to still be needing her approval when he was in his mid 60's.

He had psychiatric therapy to get him to the point where he was even able to have sex with a woman. I think the therapist used LSD to try to break his aversion.

As for the daughter, he probably didn't want her to know, in the same way that he was desperate to have his (step)mother think of him as a "real man".

I heard his daughter said she'd heard the rumors but really didn't know much about his private life. She should leave it at that. God knows what bullshit he told her but it was all to maintain some sort of image - which he had major issues with all his life. Loads of confusion there - probably no real honest personality at all, just a messed up guy with a miserable past (I think he left home at 11 years old to join a carnival or something?)

by Anonymousreply 23May 15, 2011 7:38 AM

[quote]Burton had long affairs with Claire Bloom and then Susan Strasberg

He had good taste in women.

by Anonymousreply 24May 15, 2011 8:41 AM

Off topic but who the hell keeps linking to the friggin' Daily Mail?!?!? Why you would even look at that atrocious scummy paper is beyond me. Honestly, the ideas they put into people's heads *shakes head* The comments section after half the articles can make you cry too.%0D %0D Everytime I'm in a major supermarket in the UK, where there are usually piles of papers at the front of the store, I hide all the Mail's under something unpopular.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 25May 15, 2011 9:47 AM

Has Dyan Cannon ( loved her in "Heaven Can Wait") ever publicly commented about Grant being gay?

by Anonymousreply 26May 15, 2011 1:06 PM

Nobody expected better behavior of Burton because he was an actor and he was Welsh, which meant "big fat drunk with no class whatsoever." Think Irish without the Catholicism.

by Anonymousreply 27May 15, 2011 1:16 PM

OP = Old queen.

by Anonymousreply 28May 15, 2011 1:19 PM

"These womanizing guys have a twisted physophy on sex. Guys like Richard Burton thought and so many still think that if they have affairs with other women, its just sex and not love."

They generally don't view sex that way when it's their women fucking around on them.

by Anonymousreply 29May 15, 2011 1:19 PM

[quote]Off topic but who the hell keeps linking to the friggin' Daily Mail?!?!?%0D %0D Perhaps you're lost. This is a gossip forum where we link to the Daily Mail, the NY Post, the National Enquirer, the Advocate, and all kinds of trashy papers. If you can't deal with it, find a forum for elite intellectuals.

by Anonymousreply 30May 15, 2011 2:29 PM

"Cary Grant was extremely damaged by his mother - who turned out not to be his biological mother, who was actually a Jewish woman his father was screwing with, and he brought baby Cary - I mean baby Archie, home and the woman hated him with a passion because her husband had him while cheating on her."

Princess - HELLOOOOOO????

Cary Grant was extremely damaged by his father who fucked around on his mother and forced her to raise a child he had with another women.

Let's get over "it's always the woman's fault" when an adult male fucks up left and right.

by Anonymousreply 31May 15, 2011 2:39 PM

American gay men are totally fucked in the head.

Deal with it. Most gay men are bi sexual.

by Anonymousreply 32May 15, 2011 2:43 PM

[quote]He was said to have slept with over 2500 women, three new partners a week, when he was married to both Taylor and his first wife. Amateur.

by Anonymousreply 33May 15, 2011 2:44 PM

He's not lost, R30. There has always been a group of people against the Daily Mail links on the DL. That's because the Daily Mail is right-wing swill.

by Anonymousreply 34May 15, 2011 2:45 PM

Why is it false equivalency? Tiger's behavior is comparatively tame when juxtaposed to Burton's. The press was relentless with Tiger. Relentless, for months. White men never get treated in such a manner about their sexual exploits, with the one exception of Clinton.

by Anonymousreply 35May 15, 2011 2:47 PM

Ugh Richard Burton was so gross, why would anybody wanna hop in bed with that bloated slurring ape? Terrible ham of an actor.

by Anonymousreply 36May 15, 2011 2:49 PM

EVERYONE knows that Burton chased women. However, his extreme alcoholism must be taken into account -- I bet he passed out once his head hit the pillow.

by Anonymousreply 37May 15, 2011 2:52 PM

If you're a hot young man working in a profession where screwing around is not only accepted but in some circumstances a great way to get ahead, and you're constantly surrounded by gay men, some of whom are quite attractive and in some cases even hotter than you are, what are the odds you're going to at least sample the goods? It's not like you're risking your good name by doing so as everybody assumes you're a total whore anyway, except maybe a few deluded fans who would be in denial even if the news got out.

by Anonymousreply 38May 15, 2011 2:52 PM

Burton was reasonably handsome when he was young. It was his beautiful voice that was the real turn-on.

With Tiger it's more complicated than black versus white. Most people still thought of him as the adorable little boy he was when he first became famous. The gradual realization that unbenownst to them he'd grown into this big obnoxious manwhore took them aback.

by Anonymousreply 39May 15, 2011 2:57 PM

OP, honey, are you imagining some sort of contest between Burton and Tiger Woods? Because, no.

by Anonymousreply 40May 15, 2011 3:02 PM

r39, oh please, just ask any black person, man or woman, about a black man who ONLY dates white and they will tell you he has women issues (lack of respect, objectifying, predatory inclinations). Only white women were 'taken aback' because they subliminally believe that the worship of their demographic by minority men is justified by merit and not by pathology. There have been several threads about this topic of minority men enthralled with 'white women only' compulsions and those who have told you that those compulsions are based in a need to defile, more than a recognition of some sort of superiority. White males who vilified Tiger for months fell in two categories, those who needed to deflect their own bad behavior with spouses, and those who were racially motivated to portray the black male as an ape with a big dick unable to pull himself out of his own decadent impulses. Again, Tiger was given his comeuppance by white society while the Burton's of the world are basically excused.

by Anonymousreply 41May 15, 2011 3:17 PM

That anyone was surprised that Tiger Woods, whether he was married or single, was and probably still is, an insatiable pussy hound astounds me.%0D %0D Americans are so fucking caught up in celebrity marketing and culture that we're gullible to the point of believing that Woods was a "family man." %0D %0D %0D Ever since he left Stanford to turn pro, I've watched his career. I'm a huge, huge fan of Woods as an athlete.%0D %0D It still boggles my mind, however, that people were so surprised and incensed that he behaved as any youthful man would who has millions of $, a working cock, and stardom- he fucked a lot of women. %0D %0D Good for him that he made millions while playing everybody(except me) for fools. My only regret about the whole Tiger thing is that he seems to be over as a golfer.%0D %0D I guess he can't juice anymore because of scrutiny.

by Anonymousreply 42May 15, 2011 3:25 PM

Great post, r41.%0D %0D Man , I miss the Woods scandal here at the DL. It had it all-race, sex, money, hypocrisy, the breathting spectacle of witnessing the most elite athlete in the world descending to the strata of a mere mortal.%0D %0D And that rarefied position is NEVER coming back, even if he overtakes Nickaus's record.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 43May 15, 2011 3:35 PM

"Even when he was alive, Burton didn't cultivate an image as a pristine, devoted to his family kind of guy. He was a open boozer and womanizer from the get-go."%0D %0D Revisionist history. Burton-Taylor were the Jolie-Pitt of their day, even bigger.%0D %0D Yes, Burton presented a hard worn image, but Taylor and him always put on the show of being a rock solid, loving couple that could weather anything. They did interviews together, appeared in films together all the time. There was never any sexual scandal akin to the Eddie Fisher debacle both times they were together. %0D %0D And there was certainly never any gossip about Burton's affairs the way the press does nowadays, so what you saw was what you got. Whatever went on behind the curtain stayed there. Of course, now you can say things were different, but back then, many people saw the image they gave.

by Anonymousreply 44May 15, 2011 3:37 PM

r25 is probably the type of hypocrite who would go on and on about the evils of censorship.

by Anonymousreply 45May 15, 2011 3:39 PM

[quote]Taylor and him always put on the show of being a rock solid, loving couple...

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 46May 15, 2011 3:43 PM

So much faulty logic in R41's post it's hard to know where to begin.%0D %0D [quote]those compulsions are based in a need to defile, more than a recognition of some sort of superiority%0D %0D You can't defile something that you don't believe is superior to yourself. How exactly would a "dirty negro" defile a pure and precious white woman, R41? With his touch? By fucking her? Your own words disprove your point entirely. Anyone who fantasizes that their own touch makes someone else dirty has major self loathing issues.%0D %0D [quote]White males who vilified Tiger for months fell in two categories%0D %0D %0D Link please R41, to the exhaustive research you conducted interviewing the thousands (millions?) of white men who think Tiger is scum. Since you're so certain they fall into your neat little (invented) categories.%0D %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 47May 15, 2011 3:48 PM

Aaaaannd, we're off!%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 48May 15, 2011 3:51 PM

R44, burton talked extensively about his boozing. I heard him on TV blame a movie choice, "I must have been drunk when I agreed to do it." About another, "I don't remember doing it."%0D %0D R42, the reason many were surprised that Tiger fucked around is because he's a NERD X 100.

by Anonymousreply 49May 15, 2011 3:59 PM

[quote]And that rarefied position is NEVER coming back, even if he overtakes Nickaus's record.

Quite.

Because the flaw is in the worship. Whites rewarded this half black half Asian athletic God/child BECAUSE he unabashedly worshiped everything white. Not just white, but blond, blue eyed, Aryan white; white exclusivity, white life, white privilege, white inflections, white presentation, white held up by conservative white. And, white men gloried in his exclusive inclusion of them while white women blushed coyly at his declared preference for them.

Blacks always recognized him as just a nicca who liked white girls. The emperor never had clothes; well, he never wore a crown, anyway.

But for whites, when the curtain of his worship of and for them was pulled back, and revealed in all it's tawdry sleaze, THEY were furious because this worship was not only uncomplimentary, it was embarrassingly deceptive; that whites had been the joke with Tiger all along, and they had not been in on it.

by Anonymousreply 50May 15, 2011 4:01 PM

Of course, worship of a certain demographic is based in self hatred. But the worshiper and the worshiped both in the case of Tiger were partners in the delusion.

by Anonymousreply 51May 15, 2011 4:04 PM

[quote]Whites rewarded this half black half Asian athletic God/child BECAUSE he unabashedly worshiped everything white. Not just white, but blond, blue eyed, Aryan white; white exclusivity, white life, white privilege, white inflections, white presentation, white held up by conservative white. And, white men gloried in his exclusive inclusion of them while white women blushed coyly at his declared preference for them.

They did? Gee, thanks for speaking for all white people everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 52May 15, 2011 4:10 PM

r49, that's my new fave DL phrase: "NERD X 100." LOL!%0D %0D %0D Seriously, you absolutely prove my point about the naivete of all of the reactions to the Tiger scandal- who, more than a fucking "NERD X 100", with money and stardom would pass up all of that pussy eagerly thrown at him, albeit for a price?%0D %0D No one.

by Anonymousreply 53May 15, 2011 4:10 PM

R41 YOU are a racist idiot.

by Anonymousreply 54May 15, 2011 4:10 PM

r54, that could be very well so but doesn't in and of itself disprove my point.

Explain the Tiger relentless coverage for months and months by the white press then. I have never seen a feeding frenzy to the likes of the Tiger experience because of an athlete's involvement with prostitutes. Really? Everyone was THAT outraged? lol

by Anonymousreply 55May 15, 2011 4:16 PM

r52, you maroon, Is that really the best you can do? Obviously, r50 can't, and isn't attempting to, speak for all whites. %0D %0D Don't for a moment think, however, that, when it comes to the Woods scandal, race wasn't a substantial piece of the whole delicious thing.%0D %0D If you do, you're just flat wrong.

by Anonymousreply 56May 15, 2011 4:18 PM

r52, tell me. If Tiger had the talent but the presentation of, oh let's say Tupac, would whites have loved him as much? lol

Or, can you at least admit that Tiger's love of everything white had some small influence on whites reciprocal love of everything Tiger.

by Anonymousreply 57May 15, 2011 4:23 PM

[quote]and isn't attempting to, speak for all whites.

Read what he wrote again.

Think. Next time, [italic]think[/italic] before you post.

by Anonymousreply 58May 15, 2011 4:27 PM

I think the difference is that one of them was a good looking playboy and never pretended to be anything else. The other one looks like a run-over frog and pretended to be virtuous while slamming low-rent, sloppy hookers.

by Anonymousreply 59May 15, 2011 4:37 PM

The response to Tiger by whites r58, universally, proves an overwhelming majority of similarity. Their overwhelming response to his association to cheap white trashy prostitutes has had a similar majority of similarity. Blacks nor Asians have had such a schizophrenic reaction to Tiger either before or after his revelation of prostitute associations. Blacks nor Asians worshiped Tiger as a man; they respected him as an athlete. Whites on the other hand, the majority of them being white, have behaved like a jilted lover. At least in the press they behave this way.

by Anonymousreply 60May 15, 2011 4:39 PM

[quote] I think the difference is that one of them was a good looking playboy and never pretended to be anything else. The other one looks like a run-over frog and pretended to be virtuous while slamming low-rent, sloppy hookers.

Yeah, sure, that's it.

by Anonymousreply 61May 15, 2011 4:41 PM

I don't know if Cary Grant was gay, but he sure as hell had something more than a friendship going with Randolph Scott.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62May 15, 2011 4:42 PM

One thing always will puzzle me about the Woods harem- why were those women so butt-ugly?%0D %0D As my straight brother questioned with distaste as he saw them on TV- "This is what having almost a billion dollars buys you?"

by Anonymousreply 63May 15, 2011 4:54 PM

[quote]The response to Tiger by whites [R58], universally, proves an overwhelming majority of similarity. [italic]Universally?[/italic] Wow, thanks for speaking for me. I had no idea I had that reaction to Tiger Woods, but since you assert it was [italic]universal[/italic] among white people, that's how I must have reacted.

by Anonymousreply 64May 15, 2011 5:00 PM

what does ugly have to do with it. sex for straight men is about talent... good head, tight pussy, fantasy fulfillment and compliance.

pretty is for the wife.

by Anonymousreply 65May 15, 2011 5:01 PM

universally similar

by Anonymousreply 66May 15, 2011 5:02 PM

R60/61, are you illiterate? I always feel bad attacking the illiterate for being stupid, so let me know so I can either feel sorry for you or attack your completely idiotic ideas outright. Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 67May 15, 2011 5:05 PM

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

by Anonymousreply 68May 15, 2011 5:05 PM

r67, outright.

Impress us with your brilliance.

by Anonymousreply 69May 15, 2011 5:08 PM

OP = Racist troll.

by Anonymousreply 70May 15, 2011 5:18 PM

r70, was that the brilliance?

by Anonymousreply 71May 15, 2011 5:21 PM

Back in the day wasn't it rumored that Dyan Cannon was artificially inseminated?

by Anonymousreply 72May 15, 2011 5:41 PM

[quote]My only regret about the whole Tiger thing is that he seems to be over as a golfer.

I wouldn't write him off yet, he's only 35. Maybe he needs to get Hank Haney back.

by Anonymousreply 73May 15, 2011 7:38 PM

r73- I think his deteriorating knee may not be savable, even with his access to the best medical care available.%0D %0D Speaking of medical care, why would a multi-millionaire with access to the best the medical establishment can produce seek medical treatment from an obscure Canadien physician who also is implicated in distributing steroids?%0D %0D If Woods took peds, to me anyway, that's the real scandal, not the harem. I'll go so far as to say that the Pro Golf Establishment is secretly relieved that this was about women and not peds which would present a far deeper blow to pro golf.

by Anonymousreply 74May 15, 2011 8:07 PM

OP, you're a real shit-stirrer. You're comparing two very different men from two different professions, two different nationalities and two different ERAS. %0D %0D Richard Burton always had a bad reputation as a lecherous alky and your contention that he was given a pass by "white society" is absurd on its face. %0D %0D Burton was given bad reviews for much of his late career (and derservedly so.) He was never given an Oscar, most probably because his personal life was such a mess. %0D %0D Woods dug his own sandtrap by playing the public relations game and whoring himself to any product he could attach his name to. He played Augusta, GA., despite it's prohibition against women. He could have said "no." He could have changed the game but instead decided to be a member of the club. Well, boo-hoo. Some guy who hit's a ball with a stick has a bad reputation after he was paid millions. %0D %0D Our sports-hero-and-celebrity worship is a sickness all its own. %0D %0D Who cares. Go fuck yourself and take your race-baiting schtick with you. %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 75May 15, 2011 8:12 PM

r75, the behavior is not the point, the response to the behavior is. Staying in THIS generation, Tom Brady, Lance Armstrong, Ben Roethlisberger ALL touted as clean cut American boys involved in their share of scandal that hardly made a press blip. Tiger was handled differently, even from a top athlete who was accused of rape by three different women. Tiger Woods had THREE Op ed articles in the fucking NY TIMES, the new.york.times. An athlete that hires prostitutes is THAT news worthy to generate three NY Times opinion articles? And, you want to maintain this is normal response. You are kidding me, right? Maureen Dowd had a melt down because of Tiger Woods. No mention of any white athlete, ever, in her career. I mean, NO WHITE ATHLETE warrants a melt down but Tiger Woods? It is clear race was a major influence in the coverage and response to Tiger. All of your accusation r75 do not hide the fact.

by Anonymousreply 76May 15, 2011 8:30 PM

Richard Burton's reputation did stay intact. And consistent.

That's because his reputation was consistently that of a brooding, sexy, brilliant, alcoholic womanizer.

(every once in a while, DL gets inundated with original posts that are as dim as this one, and this is one of those times - I'm wondering if OP is the same OP in the thread about straight men only wanting women on earth for the purpose of their being able to give them children and that if straight men could have children without the actual presence of women, then straight men would prefer a world without women - without recognizing that straight men like to - HELLO! - actually have sex with women).

You can't make this shit up!

by Anonymousreply 77May 15, 2011 8:33 PM

Richard Burton's reputation remained in tact.

So did Errol Flynn's. So has Colin Farrell's for that matter. And Bill Clinton's. And so, before he was believed by a great many people to have killed his wife, did O.J. Simpson's. So, before he went completely off the deep end, did Charlie Sheen's.

Hot stud inveterate pussyhounds are largely accepted. Why people got so obsessed with Tiger Woods? Well besides the fact that people are idiots and that the media shoved it down their throats day in and day out (a lot more prolonged coverage than, let's say, Japan's nuclear tragedy), the reason is that his situation was totally different because his image was something completely different than his reality.

by Anonymousreply 78May 15, 2011 8:38 PM

R74, would PEDs really help that much in golf, you think? I'm certainly not an expert but I just don't think you can explain Tiger's past form with steroids. He was obviously a prodigy as a kid on Mike Douglas, and there's so much more to golf than raw power off the tee. If that's all it took then John Daly would have racked up major after major.

It's not like home run hitting, where a guy batting .185 suddenly turns into a beast around the same time his head swells five hat sizes.

by Anonymousreply 79May 15, 2011 8:41 PM

You raise good points, r79. I don't know if Woods took peds, but, it wouldn't surprise me if he did. %0D %0D It would, however, profoundly disappoint me.%0D %0D And you're correct about Woods extraordinary talent. He is that rare phenomenon that comes along only once every 75 years or so. So, why would he need steroids? is a good question. %0D %0D Yet, there have been whispers for a long time that some pro golfers who are on the juice. If that's true, obviously they see an advantage to thier game by doing so.%0D %0D Hypersexuality, I understand, can be a side-effect of steroid use. Did you read the Vanity Fair articles about his sexual appetite? Holy Crap.%0D %0D These two things- 1. The Canadien Physician and 2. the hypersexuality as side effect of steroid use, leads me to my unhappy conclusion that if it ever came to light that , in fact, Woods used peds, I would not be surprised.

by Anonymousreply 80May 15, 2011 9:04 PM

[quote]Ugh Richard Burton was so gross, why would anybody wanna hop in bed with that bloated slurring ape?

I wonder how many women fucked him just because he was married to Taylor? That whole "He's married to HER, but he wants to fuck ME?" thing must have been a real asset for him.

That said, aren't there biographies where women have said he was the worst lay in history, that he was everything you would expect a vain alcoholic middle-aged Welshman to be in bed?

by Anonymousreply 81May 15, 2011 9:44 PM

Cary Grant was Jewish. Leach is a Jewish name and I think he once mentioned he was Jewish.

by Anonymousreply 82May 17, 2011 2:45 AM

Richard Burton's uncircumcised cock was always ready for a good fuck. Women liked him; he was sexy and charming.

by Anonymousreply 83May 17, 2011 3:21 AM

You must all have been at the same doctor having taken out your brains,right? How can y o u know who and how Richard Burton was or Elizabeth Taylor who did not even talk one single time to ?You are so useless and should rather go out and help starving kids with your money and time,or go to a shelter and walk animals,although I wish for nobody to meet you fools in person.

by Anonymousreply 84December 30, 2013 5:56 AM

You brainless idiots did not even know Burton or Taylor,you have not been one second with them and they would for sure not have let you look through their window to watch them or whoever.They would have let you thrown out by their bodyguards if you had come closer than a km to one of them.Bloody fools.

by Anonymousreply 85December 30, 2013 5:59 AM

His diaries do reveal Burton loved Liz dearly during a certain period at least. They also reveal that these two drank and fought incessantly.. often purely for sport. One gets a peek into the dynamic at the link below.

After his death virtually everybody who had been close to Burton stated Liz was not good for him. She drank him under the table. She taunted him with drink when he tried to stay sober. She made demands for more and more expensive jewels, homes, yachts... and he alone paid for them. She was a passive aggressive monster.

As stated by others, there is no comparison to be made between Burton and Woods. Apples and oranges.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86December 30, 2013 7:07 AM

Before he met Taylor it seems that Claire Bloom was the real love of his life, despite his being married to Sybil. Burton & Bloom were always at it in various dressing rooms when they were on stage a lot together in the '50s, and they made several films together too. Liz made sure she kept them apart when they were filming The Spy Who Came In From the Cold in 1965, poor Claire never got an invite to join them for dinner or even a drink!

He and young Susan Strasberg were another item, but Burton really must have slept with most of his leading ladies (well maybe not Julie Andrews or Lee Remick).

I saw them upclose in 1970 (at a cinema exhibition at The Roundhouse in London) when I was 24 - Liz was wearing a fabulous gypsy costume and flashing the diamond, while he was ranting as usual. By then their movies were flopping at the box office, they were annoyed that Secret Ceremony had been re-edited and sold off to tv early.

by Anonymousreply 87December 30, 2013 9:35 AM

Did burton have a lucrative nike contract? Did he pose with Liz for gosh darn cute family pics?

by Anonymousreply 88December 30, 2013 10:01 AM

I thought he was sexy as hell, I would have fucked him

by Anonymousreply 89December 30, 2013 10:46 AM

My 84 year old mother had a major crush on Tiger Woods, it couldn't be his face, I'm certain it's his ass. That said she has always loved pro golf and woe be on anyone who bothers her while a tournament is televised.

She liked believing that someone so talented also had a happy personal life, she fell for the manufactured image. My mother is not a superstar, nor did she have a happy marriage, everyone would like to have a hero.

When the image blew up she felt foolish and taken in. She could always rattle off his golfing stats, that much was a reality. It took her over a year to root for the guy again, she would like to see him beat everyone's record. My mom is white and I think her hero worship of Tiger came about because he is truly a remarkable athlete. As she said "To be publicly humiliated for your flaws and then regain your focus and concentration would be an amazing accomplishment".

She loves the movies but she thought that Burton and Taylor were damaged alcoholics who had no intention of building a healthy relationship.

Tiger looked like he had it all and then we found out that he's just as human as the rest of us.

by Anonymousreply 90December 30, 2013 11:18 AM

OP = fish

: (

by Anonymousreply 91December 30, 2013 11:20 AM

I remember as a kid being taken to a film version of Hamlet starring Richard Burton. Like many films back then, it was shot in black and white. What sticks in my mind were the rows of people passed out and sleeping. It was as if the corpses in Titanic were propped up in theater seats.

by Anonymousreply 92December 30, 2013 12:04 PM

"Has Dyan Cannon ( loved her in "Heaven Can Wait") ever publicly commented about Grant being gay?"

Dyan has stated that she's aware of the rumors, of course, but never saw any evidence of it firsthand.

by Anonymousreply 93December 30, 2013 12:18 PM

Helen Hayes wrote in her autobiography that she would constantly hear Burton ravaging Susan Strasberg in the next dressing room when the three of them were in a Broadway play together.

Helen loathed Burton.

by Anonymousreply 94December 30, 2013 12:21 PM

Liz was married to some prime cock, i. e. Nicky Hilton, Eddie Fisher, John Warner . . . any word on how Burton measured up?

by Anonymousreply 95December 30, 2013 12:23 PM

Richard desperately wanted to fuck me when he and Liz guest starred on my show but Gary talked us out of it.

by Anonymousreply 96December 30, 2013 12:31 PM

How will the parents of all of Richard Burton's young fans ever explain this new-found truth to them?

Any word on the endorsement deals? Nike and Gilette won't stand for a decades-dead philanderer representing them anymore

by Anonymousreply 97December 30, 2013 12:32 PM

You realize some 'brainless idiot' (r84, r85) bumped this 2011 thread?

by Anonymousreply 98December 30, 2013 12:34 PM

Some of you are clueless about straight women!! Hell, an old wrinkly thing like Hugh Hefner has good looking 20 something women sucking on his dong. Straight women want POWER and MONEY. Men and women are fundamentally different in this way. I don't think men would fuck Joan Rivers but women will fuck a rich ugly guy if it means she has a shot at some of the fame/money.

by Anonymousreply 99December 30, 2013 12:34 PM

r99 is correct - fish want only money, they are not interested in sex.

by Anonymousreply 100December 30, 2013 2:09 PM

[quote] Tiger Woods sold an image of a clean-living, family man.

Did he really? I admit I'm not a huge sports fan, so perhaps I didn't see tv commercials featuring his family which may have aired during sports shows.

I only knew him as Tiger Woods, the multiracial championship golf player who was pretty much a prodigy and was starting to get a bit cranky as he aged and the media waited for him to start failing.

I had no idea he was married and had kids.

by Anonymousreply 101December 30, 2013 3:56 PM

Tiger may not necessarily be hypersexualization (is that a word?)

His father was VERY strict and singularly focused on Tiger and his potential. It's possible that Tiger was a virgin into his late teens or maybe even his 20s.

As famous and good looking (my opinion) as he was/is, he dates and marries Jesper Parnevik's children's nanny? Elen might have been the first woman to suck his cock for all we know.

Didn't Tiger's Dad have an affair that resulted in his parents divorce? Tiger's Dad might have told him its OK to sleep around, just don't get caught. Note also that his womanizing doesn't appear to have started until after his Dad had died.

by Anonymousreply 102December 30, 2013 4:03 PM

"Burton's reputation "stays intact" despite his having intercourse with many women while being married five time to four women?"

He must have done a lot more than intercourse to be considered good in bed.

by Anonymousreply 103December 30, 2013 4:12 PM

The other poster is right - alcoholics have trouble getting it up. Burton always pinged to me and I believe he did mess with guys.

I have known straight black men who only date white and while defiling may be part of it, everyone of them hated their black skin and hated being black. And they would date the fattest most obnoxious white woman just to date a white woman. Like MLK, they did not find black women attractive. But since they looked black themselves and had the same black characteristics it says something about how they feel about their own looks.

by Anonymousreply 104December 30, 2013 4:16 PM

Burton didn't need to get it up, r104.

by Anonymousreply 105December 30, 2013 4:17 PM

According to Eleanor Parker, Stewart Granger gave her a bad time on "Scaramouche" because she rebuffed his advances. According to Granger, Parker gave him a hard time because he rebuffed her advances! What seems to be true according to many sources is that Granger was an even bigger shit than fellow Brit Rex Harrison. Parker, I agree not his biggest fan, recounts many instances of Jean Simmons leaving his dressing room in floods of tears, so perhaps its not hard to believe she sought solace in the arms of other men.

by Anonymousreply 106December 30, 2013 4:33 PM

I don't get the people here who are solely comparing behaviours as opposed to their professions, eras, and cultures.

Tiger Woods did not have to be married. Given his proclivities, he obviously shouldn't have. At the very least, I think it's unfair to have kids. He wanted the image to hide his lifestyle and protect his money. He was also not well-liked amongst his peers.

A better comparison would be Tiger and Phil Mickelson.

As for Burton, that whole UK set was quite louche in those days. Not excusing it, but it would be known amongst the spouses. What made it into the press at the time was different that what was revealed later on. That accounted for the man's man scoundrel rep. Burton was a tortured fuck up, not an arrogant multi-millionaire athlete in an elitist sport.

BTW, I'm not saying Tiger didn't face racism, but this comparison makes no sense.

by Anonymousreply 107December 30, 2013 4:34 PM

[quote]Staying in THIS generation, Tom Brady, Lance Armstrong, Ben Roethlisberger ALL touted as clean cut American boys involved in their share of scandal that hardly made a press blip.

The Lance Armstrong scandal HARDLY MADE A BLIP?

Are you completely out of your mind? I thought they were going to shut down the airports the day he finally admitted it. Magazine covers, endless coverage on the news, 60 Minutes, OP-eds all over the country and the entire world, not to mention OPRAH - the coverage was wall to wall media saturation.

Hardly made a blip - my ass. You're just being a dick and foolishly trying to prop up a theory that isn't working out for you at all.

If you want to say that for some White people, gloating over the fall of Tiger Woods had an obviously racist basis - you'll get zero argument on it. To claim that ALL White people this and NO White people that is ludicrous, stupid and wrong.

by Anonymousreply 108December 30, 2013 7:35 PM

[quote]Tiger may not necessarily be hypersexualization (is that a word?)

Not in my dictionary, although "hyper-sexual" might be acceptable as a hyphenated compound word. Even still, the "-ization" you add makes no sense in context.

Grammar and syntax rules suggest you're searching for a verb along the lines of "hypersexualized", not a noun like "hypersexualization", which would apparently means "the state of being hypersexual" or "the process of becoming hypersexual". Is Tiger Woods a state or process? Or is he a person in a certain state or who has undergone a certain process?

Is English your second language? Or your second languagization?

by Anonymousreply 109January 9, 2014 10:32 AM

R109 speaks fluent Cuntonese.

by Anonymousreply 110January 9, 2014 11:15 AM

OP - There are hundreds of famous men who engaged in "far worse" sexual activity. Of these, how did you determine Richard Burton in comparison to Tiger Woods?

by Anonymousreply 111January 10, 2014 12:02 AM

While I'm sure Burton was a big ho (and he admitted homosexual experiences, so that settles that) - I hate when these stories emerge and set something in stone like "3 women a week for 30 years". Not even three women - 3 NEW women a week. Impossible. Just logistically, impossible (for example, if he and Taylor are out on the yacht for x days running, as did happen, where's he going to find new meat?)

I kind of liked the bio pic called "Burton and Taylor (Dominic West as Burton, Helena Bonham Carter as Taylor) which showed a sober (but dying) Burton telling Taylor that both of them are addicts.

I don't know where some of these people got their energy, to tell the truth. While I don't believe Burton literally fucked 3 new women a week for 30 years, I believed he fucked plenty, and drank plenty (two bottles of vodka daily?), and when I read about it, I just want to take a nap.

I came to this thread because I recently watched some of "Camelot" on youtube (promotional stuff for the show, and Burton and Andrews appearance on The Edi Sullivan Show). He has a lightness to him I didn't know he had in him - humor, and a fun self-deprecating streak. FF from those times, to when he's tan, and fiftysomething, he's almost inscrutable. He's asked what he'd be if not an actor and he says he supposes he'd have gone down the mine like most of his brothers. Then he supposes he'd have been a miner's agent, because he's glib. Then he guesses that from there he'd be an MP (like his uncle) and from there, knighted (like his uncle). In five seconds, even without the acting, he'd elevated himself to a knight of the realm via coal mining, so there was no deficiency of ego there. He wasn't putting the interviewer on, he was absolutely straight, saying - this is the other path.

That kiss with Claire Bloom in Look Back in Anger was many many years after he'd taken her virginity and their first affair. She says they resumed their intimacy on Look Back in Anger, but he had a practiced way about him - he was a bit glib in bed. She walked in on him fucking her look-alike, Susan Strasberg.

by Anonymousreply 112January 21, 2014 11:38 PM

I'm sure Burton was no slouch when it came to sex. But this information is an "excerpt from "And God Created Burton" by Tom Rubython." Who the hell is Tom Rubython? Just another slimeball who wants to make money by making outrageous claims about a dead person.

by Anonymousreply 113January 22, 2014 12:48 AM

And he was a paedophile too!

I notice no one is picking up on this bit in the article. He was grooming as as a 28 year old man and she was 14!

"But even Hardy was wrong, because one of Burton’s more lengthy affairs was actually with a schoolgirl. Then aged 28 and married to Sybil, he’d bumped into Rosemary Kingsland at a cafe opposite the Old Vic theatre when he was appearing in The Tempest in 1954. Burton’s sexual adventures had begun in 1944, while at Oxford University, when he lost his virginity at 18 to a mature student he met in a pub. Once initiated, he started rampaging through the town’s female population.

A pretty girl with thick dark hair and flawless skin, she was then just 14 — though she deflected questions about her age. Mesmerised by Burton, she started skipping hockey practice to hang around the theatre. ‘I think I was flaunting myself a bit,’ she said.

After a few meetings, Burton took her back to a flat that belonged to a friend, where she happily lost her virginity. From then on, they met there most Wednesdays.

By the end of 1956, Rosemary was pregnant. His response was immediate: ‘You’ll have to get rid of it’ — and he paid for her to have an abortion."

by Anonymousreply 114January 22, 2014 1:05 AM

Well, they knew how to do it back in the day.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115January 22, 2014 1:08 AM

Again, the biggest reason that people were angry at Tiger Woods was because he'd lied about who he was. Sure, a few people were horrified by the adultery or racial aspect, but most of his admirers were upset to find out that his public persona was a tissue of lies.

Burton's image was always that of a hard-living, hard-drinking wild man, when he misbehaved the world just thought he was being true to himself. Tiger Woods could have done the same, positioned himself as the "playboy golfer", and straight men would have adored him for living the life. But someone, either his father or his manager, convinced him that he had to pose as a goody-goody family man, and build this massive web of lies that was bound to collapse around him.

by Anonymousreply 116January 22, 2014 3:42 AM

It's weird, until I read his diaries I had no respect for him, and I still believe - especially when it comes to other women - that he wrote knowing he'd be read, particularly by Taylor. IOW, he lies in his diaries.

BUT, I respect him for this - his behavior as a father. Yes, he was a terrible example as far as fidelity, drinking, etc. I'm not minimizing that. But compared to other celebrities in his situation, I respect his availability to his family. There are many celebrities, particularly the multi-married, international film star types or the era, who have kids and are just not interested. He honestly seemed not to just do his duty by them financially, but to be available to them, make himself accessible, and know what's going on in their lives in a genuine way. He included them in everything while they had their own lives. His kids, Taylor's kids, Taylor's grandkids. There's a whole section where Michael Wilding (Taylor's son) has a baby, and Burton is quite excited and thrilled. He's critical of Wilding, who wants to be a pop star with no musical skill or ability, but very thrilled about the baby, and very admiring of Wilding's wife, and pretty sympathetic and interested (if exasperated) with Wilding. Buys something for Taylor's other son, Christopher Wilding. Is pissed at some tabloid coverage about Taylor's adopted daughter, Maria's, bio family, but sets the material aside in case Maria wants to read it as an adult. He also reportedly remained available, accessible, and close to his family of origin - all those siblings, nieces, nephews, aunts, uncles. I can't imagine being a fabulously wealthy film star with something like 9 siblings (he was one of thirteen but a couple died early) who came from poverty, and a couple of kids of his own, then four from Taylor, because I figure he'd be bled dry. But either he was very lucky in family or just prioritized better than a lot of people, because him being the huge success story didn't seem to burden him or make him throw up barries or complain of his family's demands. (They didn't actually seem to demand a ton - maybe that's part of it).

Anyhow, I have to like that he's so aware of and accessible to Taylor's kids (and pets, and hangers on) and his own, and his family of origin. He made a huge mess of his romantic life, but as far as other family ties, did a decent job, IMO.

His widow, Sally Hay, says that Michael Wilding, provided some additional material about his mom, and that Burton's daughter also contributed to the diary thing. Also, in the diary, Burton reports a visit from Kate (one of the few people he seems to uncritically adore), and notes that during the visit she peeled off to go see Wilding's wife and new baby in the hospital. So that would be HIS daughter by his first wife going to see the grandchild of the woman he ditched her mother for.

by Anonymousreply 117January 25, 2014 1:43 AM

Black people are always innocent of everything! And white people have at some point committed the same or much worse sins and/or crimes, and they're all racists, so that excuses everything!

It is not my job to school you in all this!

by Anonymousreply 118January 25, 2014 1:54 AM

His diaries are very entertaining and astute. He was an very intelligent man; he read constantly. He was an incredibly gifted actor. But after marrying Taylor he lost his artistic cred and became merely a celebrity. He wasn't taken seriously as a great actor anymore.

After he married Taylor his life became a right mess. Life with her was total chaos, all the time. No doubt marrying Liz Taylor puffed up his ego. He, the son of a Welsh coal miner, married to one of the most famous, beautiful women in the world; I'm sure he found that intoxicating. But the relationship was a toxic one. They fought all the time, spent money like there was no tomorrow and meandered around the world doing films of mostly dubious quality. And of course he was an alcoholic and she was one also, in addition to being addicted to prescription drugs given her for her neverending illnesses.

I don't think he was anymore of a pussyhound than most actors of his type. I think the sex lives of a lot of celebrities are exaggerated. Where would they find time to do anything else if they were non-stop fucking?

It's a tragedy he died so young. Sometimes I look at videos of him on YouTube reciting lines from plays or poems and he's mesmerizing. His voice was so expressive.

by Anonymousreply 119January 25, 2014 1:56 AM

Great post r119, I often thought the same thing about him, how the hell he found so much time for all those kids and of course his own family back in Wales. He may have been louche but he certainly seemed into family life. Actually, Taylor too.

That's supposedly why he began doing all those crap movies after he married Taylor; it wasn't just to finance their life together but to send money back home. He began making bank after he married her.

by Anonymousreply 120January 25, 2014 2:02 AM

I think you often have to date the claims of sexual prowess of some celebrities. Byron claimed to have sex so often that it would mean he had sex with three different people every day of his life since he was a teenager--Wilt Chamberlain has claimed something like that too.

by Anonymousreply 121January 25, 2014 2:13 AM

[quote] Oh please; the inference is always that the black man is a heathen unable to contain his tawdry impulses. Woods was crucified all over the press. Everyone knew what Burton was, and no one said a thing.

People did say things about Burton, but his philandering fit his wild living public image and he wasn't lying about it or putting up a false front. If Tiger had been up front too there wouldn't have been the big response, especially if he had come off as smooth and charming.

It's not a black guy vs white guy difference. It is charming open bad boy player vs nerdy, awkward, sex obsessed liar. Look at Snoop Dogg. Snoop Dogg married and had kids early while spending his career swanning around with pimp cups, rapping about casual sex with hos, escorting women on leashes to award shows, and hosting porn and Girls Gone Wild videos. Snoop Dogg is well loved in the white community and mainstream media. Nobody has ever thought of him as faithful, but he's always had the charming rogue thing and people don't make any deal about the fidelity issue. He's had years of "what a great guy and family man!" articles in magazines like People about stuff like his sports team for kids. Hell, when he was on the View a few years ago all the women doted on him and Barbara Walters announced that she found him attractive.

Another thing that kept the story going with Tiger was that so many women were eager to come forward and go on record about their sexual encounters with him, and a lot of them were not even particularly attractive. And in the internet age there are a lot more avenues to people to share their stories.

by Anonymousreply 122January 25, 2014 2:35 AM

Burton was pissed to discover that Sybil Burton's second husband, Jordan Christopher was 17 years younger that he was. While he was glad he didn't have to pay alimony to Sybil, Burton was surprised that Sybil could replace him in her affections so quickly.

Burton never saw his daughter Jessica once she was institutionalized.

Burton dropped many of his friends who predated his marriage to Taylor. These friends always blamed Taylor for taking Burton away from the stage and ruining his career. Many of his old friends remained loyal to Sybil.

Taylor worked hard to win over many of the important people in Burton's family. His family came to like Elizabeth but still felt a loyalty to Sybil, who was one of their owm

by Anonymousreply 123January 25, 2014 3:21 AM

I think it's awesome that Sybil Christopher thrived after divorcing Burton. I just googled her and her second husband and he's hot. She was clearly somebody who had a lot going on - not a great beauty, but must have had plenty of charisma of her own, because she was very popular in Hollywood and her disco was a big success.

As to Jessica, I just googled a bit and found a quote from Burton saying about her "All I can do is make her rich - and she is rich." and from his other daughter, Kate, who says she herself hasn't seen her sister in a long time because she's "imprisoned in her own mind." If Jessica is so severely impaired she didn't recognize her family, I could see providing for her but not seeing her, except that I don't think that's right. Even if the other person can't participate in the relationship or is oblivious, I think you owe it to them to go see them. However, he didn't desert her in the sense of leave her to the fates - he provided for her and knew how she was doing.

I'm sure Sybil Christopher loved Richard Burton, otherwise why stick around so long when he was having major love affairs even before Taylor (Claire Bloom, Susan Strasberg). BUT, the divorce seems like the best thing to happen to her - she didn't lose her friends - she kept all of her H'wood friends, and she got a hot young husband, and had a third child, and ran a successful night spot, and lived a long life.

When I read about that era - the hard-drinking 1960s stars, it seems sordid in a way. There's the British and American stars, hard-drinking, and they're all passing around the same socialites (like Elizabeth Rees Williams), models and actresses. What's a little sharing among friends? It's kind of gross. One couple would break up and the girl would move on to another famous friend of the famous guy she'd been dating. It seems like even though it was supposedly the era of freedom and liberation it was mostly for the men. Some of those women started freaking out when they got older.

by Anonymousreply 124January 25, 2014 2:41 PM

R122, yes. But basically it comes down to Tiger Woods being a nerd.

by Anonymousreply 125January 25, 2014 2:53 PM

If Richard Burton lived in the time of twitter and text messages he'd be trashed too. Especially with the gigantic amount of drinking. The women he picked up would be selling his text messages to the Enquirer and TMZ would be showing him falling down drunk. Tiger got killed not just because of the cheating, but because of the material that got out there and fed the story. If it just came out he cheated the story wouldn't have been that big. But there's a huge market for story and his story ended up providing so much material because the girls he screwed had his text messages and one by one they each sold their story. It got so in your face it wrecked him, at least temporarily. It wasn't just abstract when the details were being described and repeated in the media. If some girl had a bunch of sloppy, inane texts from Burton and then went with Gloria Allred to describe his promises to her or sold how he was in bed to the Globe, including describing his private parts or some of his drunken bitching about his career, he wouldn't fare any better. It might not have wrecked his career but he'd be a laughingstock.

by Anonymousreply 126January 28, 2014 12:21 AM

Tiger's texts (which his wife discovered and freaked out about) also included messages to random skanks like "I love you more than my wife". That's what put off even a lot of straight guys as being uncool and disrespectful to his wife and family. Guys expect sports stars to fuck around but that was going too far and it was also totally unnecessary to get those random skanks to fuck him.

by Anonymousreply 127January 28, 2014 1:26 AM

Burton was sometimes violent, as well. He was a mean drunk and it's one of the reasons that Taylor finally walked out.

by Anonymousreply 128January 28, 2014 1:52 AM

In her memoir "Now", Bacall wrote of visiting a dying Roddy McDowall with Elizabeth Taylor one afternoon. In the car on the way to Roddy's, Elizabeth was very nervous because she knew Sybil would be at the house as Roddy's primary caregiver and they had never met in person. Despite their history, Sybil welcomed Elizabeth with open arms and the three women spent a wonderful afternoon with Roddy.

by Anonymousreply 129January 28, 2014 2:31 AM

Did Roddy have any relationships with other celebs? I don't really know anything about him.

by Anonymousreply 130January 28, 2014 3:14 AM

Roddy McDowell was everybody's best friend. He pops up everywhere. That's why he was able to get such a range of celebrities at his party. He was a child star at MGM and he was also on Broadway (Camelot, for one, as Mordred), so he cut a social swathe.

When Claire Bloom wrote about Burton, she talked about how Taylor wasn't happy about the last film Burton made with Bloom, how she was on the set all the time and called him to her side in an "unmusical" voice.

OTOH, when Carol Lynley made Night of the Iguana she mentioned at some point that she felt Burton treated Taylor like shit. She was a hot ingenue at the time - seventeen years old, and between her and Gardner on the set in Mexico, the media was drooling with, oh boy, what if Burton (who was with Taylor) hooks up with one of them. She was the only one I can recall who mentions that she thought he treated Taylor poorly, but of course so many of the reports we get about Taylor/Burton are his old lovers or his male actor peers who might not have had the most respect for Taylor.

I think that relationship was probably a mess but also unlikely it was one-sided. Burton had a huge ego too.

If Burton could have gotten his thumbs to work on a keyboard he'd have had tons of dicey texts too.

by Anonymousreply 131January 28, 2014 11:56 AM

Some years ago, I logged on to a gossip site that had an interview of Burton discussing the rumors that he was gay and he admitted he was gay (or bisexual) and the quote went something like this ":yes, I am but I am an actor and all actors are gay!"(This is paraphrased from memory --so, subject to 'correction.'?).

by Anonymousreply 132February 16, 2020 7:33 PM

2500 women. Oh stop with the numbers. Wasn't it Wilt Chamberlain who claimed thousands, also? What a freakin' joke. Think about the time it would take to accomplish this...didn't these guys have careers to tend to? Or is their definition of fucking different for women than men?

by Anonymousreply 133February 16, 2020 7:42 PM

[quote]Hollywood's first sex addict:

That headline is so ridiculous!

by Anonymousreply 134February 16, 2020 8:18 PM

What is that fucking %OD thing? I see it on more and more threads. I assume it's a typo but I can't figure what it's supposed to be...

by Anonymousreply 135February 16, 2020 8:30 PM

R135 I think it has to do with the thread being so old. A coding glitch.

At first, I thought it was observant Jews refusing to spell out GOD.

by Anonymousreply 136February 16, 2020 8:48 PM

I swear that--as a gayling--I heard Rona Barrett on her tv gossip show hint that Dyan Cannon had gotten pregnant by another man (or through IVF) in order to force Cary to marry her. Has anyone else heard this rumor? I've carried it around for fifty years and now it's time to SPILL.

by Anonymousreply 137February 16, 2020 8:58 PM

tiger woods was NEVER handsome or good looking at best he peaked when he was a child and was a cute kid, nothing more...

richard burton in my opinion looked his hottest in "the taming of the shrew" with his thick groomed beard! damn he looked handsome and so macho and masculine... great bone structure, his hair having highlights in it,his mischievious twinkling blue eyes and smile and his beard and hairy chest! yummy!..

by Anonymousreply 138February 16, 2020 9:03 PM

I have to echo what someone else said earlier - what an odd comparison this is. Why would OP decide to align these two? Is this one of those manufactured topics created by Webbie to stimulate traffic? If so, I suppose it was successful.

by Anonymousreply 139February 16, 2020 9:50 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!