Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Joe Flanigan Denies Claims He Supported Gay Marriage Ban Prop 8

Joe Flanigan Denies Claims He Supported Gay Marriage Ban Prop 8

By On Top Magazine Staff; Published: May 13, 2011

Actor Joe Flanigan has chided an Internet commenter for claiming he supported Proposition 8, California's gay marriage ban.

The 44-year-old star of cabler Syfy's science fiction drama Stargate Atlantis was livid at claims made by a poster using the name SeedyPetee on the UK forums site fmforums.co.uk.

"I go to a lot of sci-fi cons and have spoken with a lot of people who've worked with him," the user wrote. "Joe is from a very conservative family background. He refused to do any shirtlessness on the Stargate series because he purposely did not want to attract the same kind of 'gay following' that Michael Shanks and Ben Browder have. He's SO not down with the gays that when California had the Proposition 8 thing going on, Joe donated money to have it PASSED, which made him pretty unpopular with the rest of his open-minded cast mates."

Flanigan denied the claims in a tweet to his more than 17,000 followers: "Somebody named seedypetee spreading lies. Naughty boy. We will expose you. Never supported Prop 8. I embrace ALL my fans."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32June 25, 2021 12:37 AM

"refused to do any shirtlessness on the Stargate series because he purposely did not want to attract the same kind of 'gay following' that Michael Shanks and Ben Browder have."

MARY!

by Anonymousreply 1May 13, 2011 8:52 PM

If Michael Shanks hadn't fought being shirtless ad just accepted that he was "he meat", he would have his own show by now.

by Anonymousreply 2June 12, 2011 2:41 PM

[quote] refused to do any shirtlessness on the Stargate series because he purposely did not want to attract the same kind of 'gay following' that Michael Shanks and Ben Browder have

He had TONS of shirtless scenes when he was on the TV series 'Sisters'

One of his first roles in Hollywood was playing a gay character in a Danielle Steel movie.

by Anonymousreply 3June 12, 2011 2:46 PM

Michael Shanks looks yummy on Saving Hope

by Anonymousreply 4February 15, 2015 1:38 PM

There was a long thread on this which I cannot find, but which I recall having some pretty convincing "proof" and quotes.

I remember because I liked SG-Atlantis and his character (and thought he was hot) and was utterly disappointed.

As with people like Donna Summer who try to revise history (or set it straight - I don't want to start a new debate on that one), it's only after their careers tank that they realize who their fan base actually was or who they've pissed off that have the industry power to make or break their careers. If you're not a well-established money-maker, you really cannot go around pissing anyone off without expecting some blowback.

The only thread still floating around about him is this one:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5February 15, 2015 2:29 PM

R4 is worse than the Goa'uld, the Replicators and Ori combined.

by Anonymousreply 6February 15, 2015 7:23 PM

Michael Shanks really needs to be careful or he could easily go the way of James Spader (he who originated the role of Dr. Daniel Jackson) and with whom he shares an uncanny similarity in appearance.

He's already looking a bit beefy. If he starts losing his hair, he's toast...

by Anonymousreply 7February 16, 2015 4:24 AM

Have you seen Ben Browder lately? He did a Dr. Who a hear or so ago and looked puffy. VERY PUFFY.

I refuse to believe Flanigan supported Prop 8. I also read he was close to his cast mates and was upset with the producers when there were some issues about Tori Higginson's departure.

by Anonymousreply 8February 16, 2015 4:54 AM

I LOVED Joe Flanigan on 'Stargate: Atlantis!'

Does anyone know if he's really a homophobe?

I hope not!

by Anonymousreply 9June 24, 2021 5:08 PM

Put it this way, he shares Russia's view of gays.

by Anonymousreply 10June 24, 2021 5:22 PM

This is from 2015. Thread necromancy!

by Anonymousreply 11June 24, 2021 5:24 PM

Normally I'm not one to envy, but I used to envy his hair, the opposite of mine, it always looked perfect. Cut and combed with a blender? perfect.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12June 24, 2021 5:28 PM

I loved Joe's hair!!!!

I wished mine would look like that.

by Anonymousreply 13June 24, 2021 5:31 PM

Found a few shirtless shots of Joe:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14June 24, 2021 6:01 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15June 24, 2021 6:02 PM

Look at that chest and stomach hair!

I really hope he's not homophobic!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16June 24, 2021 6:02 PM

What an odd thread to bump for random photos of some z lister

by Anonymousreply 17June 24, 2021 6:04 PM

I'm supposed to be mad that someone I've never heard of maybe thought something 12 years ago that he maybe changed his mind about but maybe didnt?

by Anonymousreply 18June 24, 2021 6:20 PM

DID he change his mind?

by Anonymousreply 19June 24, 2021 8:54 PM

He was cute on GH

by Anonymousreply 20June 24, 2021 9:01 PM

Used to find him really hot!

by Anonymousreply 21June 24, 2021 9:02 PM

I love his voice, his eyes, his hair...

by Anonymousreply 22June 24, 2021 9:04 PM

Ho-hum

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23June 24, 2021 10:49 PM

R23, Joe still does his hair the same sexy way he did in 2005??? Yay!

Isn't La Grahn very pro-gay? I would guess she wouldn't want to work with him again if Joe was anti-gay.

by Anonymousreply 24June 24, 2021 10:53 PM

There's something odd about his eyes. Perhaps he has no lashes or perhaps he just has sleepy upper lids.

by Anonymousreply 25June 24, 2021 10:56 PM

Which cunt bumped this old thread about some old, irrelevant, unemployed soap actress?

Brendan?

by Anonymousreply 26June 24, 2021 11:35 PM

^^^ Brendad (fucking spellcheck and fuck the inability to edit posts.)

by Anonymousreply 27June 24, 2021 11:37 PM

Joe Flanigan on Atlantis (along with Michael Shanks on SG-1) was one of my big "gayling" crushes when I was a teenager. I follow him on IG and he was against the trans ban in the Military, so he's not homophobic or transphobic people. He may have been 20 or so years ago, but so was most of America.

by Anonymousreply 28June 25, 2021 12:10 AM

Where are his nipples?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29June 25, 2021 12:12 AM

And those nasty feet. Jesus!

by Anonymousreply 30June 25, 2021 12:19 AM

Definitely not a Trumper! Yay, Joe!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31June 25, 2021 12:37 AM

And he's still GORGEOUS!

Same hair, too!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32June 25, 2021 12:37 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!