Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Does Magic Johnson really have HIV?

I hope no one misconstrues this and takes it the wrong way, but I always have my doubts that Magic is HIV+. He's supposedly had it for so long now yet still looks completely healthy. YES, I know there are fantastic HIV drugs on the market...NOWADAYS! But back 20 years ago when he was first diagnosed, that was not the case. So how'd he make it this long while countless others have not?

by Anonymousreply 170January 21, 2018 4:07 PM

Good question - I've thought about it too. Although I really wonder how many people actually buy his story about getting HIV from women. He immediately married a woman (an old friend) right after he broke the news to throw a smokescreen up. He's clearly on the DL though.

by Anonymousreply 1April 26, 2011 1:43 AM

There was no reason for him to lie about it, especially back in 1991 when it was still mostly taboo to admit having HIV.

by Anonymousreply 2April 26, 2011 1:47 AM

Why the HELL would anyone LIE about having HIV??? Why would he ruin his lucrative basketball career? Embarrass his family? Alienate himself?

by Anonymousreply 3April 26, 2011 1:51 AM

Oh, OP, how could anyone possible misconstrue your post and take it the wrong way? For one thing, there are at least five different unpleasant ways to take it, and it would be so very hard to discern which was intended, and we wouldn't want to be unfair and misjudge you, of course. R1, Johnson's wife was two months pregnant with their son Earvin when they married. Quite a precognitive smokescreen there, on top of the child he already had fathered the decade before. Not to discount the possibility of his bisexuality or to quibble about the manner in which he likely contracted HIV, but people presuming to gossip about celebrities at least ought to complete collecting their data before playing "gotcha," don't you think? Especially in a thread started by such a sensitive OP, who doesn't want anyone to get the wrong idea.

by Anonymousreply 4April 26, 2011 2:00 AM

Let's see now. Maybe I'm a little dense but I don't think he got it from dirty needles or a blood transfusion and I've always believed that gay bottoms and women are more likely to get infected than a heterosexual straight dude fucking around. Even before his announcement, there were a lot of rumors he enjoyed the mansex as well as women so, let's get off iour high horse, r4.

by Anonymousreply 5April 26, 2011 3:13 AM

Get a grip, R4. OP posed a perfectly natural question. In any event, OP, I think the answer may lie in Johnson's having been in the superior health of a professional athlete when he sero-converted. Other obvious and similar examples are Greg Louganis and Roy Simmons.

by Anonymousreply 6April 26, 2011 3:18 AM

EEEEK!!! Someone has DARED to suggest my personal hero might be a... a... a [italic]homosexual[/italic]!!! How DARE they!!! EEEEK!!!

by Anonymousreply 7April 26, 2011 3:24 AM

A friend of mine, a female heroin addict (formerly now), has had it about that long too & lives in SF. She's in a bunch of studies, and says that what they think is that she got a milder version than what killed people.

So I think there might be milder versions, especially if a person did not do butt sex without condoms. I think the butt sex, being a bottom, no condoms killed people. Remember the tops have all survived, the bottoms have all been thinned out.

by Anonymousreply 8April 26, 2011 3:25 AM

he's probably had routine blood transfusions

by Anonymousreply 9April 26, 2011 3:26 AM

My cousin was a straight guy who slept with hundreds of women. He died in the early 90's from HIV. My cousin did sleep around with a number of women who did IV drugs and prostituted for drugs thus it probably increased his risk but it's not like it's impossible for straight guys to get it (look at the Africa numbers, most are het transmissions). %0D %0D People with other STD's like Herpes and Syphillis also have greater chance to contract HIV and het men do get those STD's too.

by Anonymousreply 10April 26, 2011 3:33 AM

Loni Love did a really funny bit about how fat Magic is. Something like:%0D %0D "What kinda AIDS he got? Diabetes maybe, but he ain't got no AIDS."%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 11April 26, 2011 3:34 AM

Greg Louganis was positive at least as early as 1988, and looks like an ordinary 51 year old who spent a lot of time out in the sun.

Magic Johnson is a few months older than Louganis, but from what I've seen a lot of African-American men seem to age better.

But both of them look well, and as athletes have an overall attitude about health that probably helps them fight the disease, like cancer or anything else that's hard on the body.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12April 26, 2011 3:34 AM

r8, you're too stupid to live. %0D %0D 1. Johnson started in excellent athletic condition.%0D %0D 2. He has money to buy the absolute best medical care that junkies at the county hospitals will never, ever be given.%0D %0D 3. Given the current state of the drug therapy, 20 years is well within the shelf life of an HIV+ person.%0D %0D OP's question is good enough, but it is probably premature.

by Anonymousreply 13April 26, 2011 3:36 AM

there's a gene that grants increased defence against the virus, it was in relation to some immaculately hiv- hookers in Asia

by Anonymousreply 14April 26, 2011 3:42 AM

Yeah, that's fucking hysterical, Shinjuku.

by Anonymousreply 15April 26, 2011 3:43 AM

It's called money and lots of it.

by Anonymousreply 16April 26, 2011 3:54 AM

[quote]I think the butt sex, being a bottom, no condoms killed people. Remember the tops have all survived, the bottoms have all been thinned out.

R8, you are retarded. More bottoms died than tops because tears in the anal lining, etc, make receptive anal sex a particularly easy way to catch the virus--not because you automatically catch a different form of the virus by bottoming than by topping.

It may be true that some strains of the virus are less virulent than others but who ends up with what strain has nothing to do with sexual positions or modes of transmission. If some junkie fucks me and infects me with HIV, then turns around and shares needles with a drug buddy and gives the buddy HIV, guess what? The buddy and I are going to get the same strain of HIV even though one of us got it up the ass and the other through a needle.

by Anonymousreply 17April 26, 2011 3:56 AM

[quote]there's a gene that grants increased defence against the virus

It's mostly (almost exclusively)found in Caucasians of Northern European descent. Chances are that Magic doesn't have it.

by Anonymousreply 18April 26, 2011 4:02 AM

I've positive since at least 1987. I was always in good shape and still look better than most men my age. I think that my body has been more resistant to the virus.

by Anonymousreply 19April 26, 2011 4:02 AM

I don't believe he has it, because he still looks healthy after many years. He doesn't even have that leather face look associated with HIV or AIDS.

by Anonymousreply 20April 26, 2011 4:09 AM

Can anyone address the idiotic assumption underlying OP's question and brought up by a few people like R20?%0D %0D WHO THE FUCK AND WHY WOULD SOMEONE LIE ABOUT HAVING HIV FOR CHRIST'S SAKES?!!!!!!%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 21April 26, 2011 4:22 AM

Google long-term non-progressors. Host genetic and viral genetic factors affect the rate of progression

by Anonymousreply 22April 26, 2011 4:42 AM

The idea that you can tell who has HIV by their face has been debunked by the thousands upon thousands of people who have been infected because they couldn't tell they were having sex with someone who is poz.

AIDS has never had a "leathering" effect on the face. That look comes from sun and hard living in general (smoking, especially) that many poz people share with HIV- people.

Facial wasting is more rare today as drug therapies have changed and some therapies have been introduced to counteract it.

by Anonymousreply 23April 26, 2011 4:44 AM

[R21] What was the OP's "idiotic assumption" exactly?

by Anonymousreply 24April 26, 2011 4:51 AM

That he was lying when he announced to the world that he was HIV positive.

by Anonymousreply 25April 26, 2011 12:51 PM

There's always been a cure, if you could afford it and we wanted you to live.

by Anonymousreply 26April 26, 2011 1:07 PM

It's my understanding that he is HIV+ and it did not progress to full-blown AIDS because of his medical care.

by Anonymousreply 27April 26, 2011 1:16 PM

R8, I know quite a few tops who died or have HIV. That tops can't or don't get HIV is a dangerous misconception.

by Anonymousreply 28April 26, 2011 1:31 PM

Well, for one, he doesn't read the Datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 29April 26, 2011 1:39 PM

I think it is very possibly that Magic had recently seroconverted when he found out his status. He started meds immediately which studies are now saying is the best course of action verses what was then the conventional wisdom of waiting until the CD4 count was 350. He has had a undetectable viral load since 92/93 because Cookie mistakenly said he was cured in a Ebony magazine article and later had to correct herself.

by Anonymousreply 30April 26, 2011 1:39 PM

This is all idiotic. I have been HIV positive since at least 1990. I was not an athlete but have steadily worked out through the years. I have more T cells now than I did then (more than many negative men my age), no facial wasting, no hump, no "crix belly" yet have been on the drugs since 1994. I just look like a normal 49 year old man. At this rate a heart attack will probably be what kills me.

by Anonymousreply 31April 26, 2011 1:42 PM

Individual people react differently to the HIV virus. Some people fight and live longer than people who just gave up and die. Some people fight and die faster than the ones who give up obsessing over the disease. Some people take all sorts of drugs and their body reacts positively to the drug treatment and they keep on living. Some people take all sorts of drugs and their body doesn't respond well to those and their death is caused by the drugs they took in order to fight the HIV virus.

by Anonymousreply 32April 26, 2011 2:01 PM

Very well said, r32.

by Anonymousreply 33April 26, 2011 2:32 PM

Because OP, many have made it, particularly those who are affluent and have access to the best of medical care.

by Anonymousreply 34April 26, 2011 2:33 PM

I highly recommend that POZ folks try to avoid HFCS and Aspartame as a means to stay healthy.

by Anonymousreply 35April 26, 2011 2:44 PM

It's really terrifying how misinformed some of you people are.

by Anonymousreply 36April 26, 2011 2:50 PM

"By the way, apparently you haven't notice Johnson's bloatedness over the years" %0D %0D Along those lines, I really don't mean to sound ignorant but I guess I am going to, but why did he get so fat?%0D %0D He looks like any other aging basketball player.

by Anonymousreply 37April 26, 2011 2:53 PM

Yeah, OP, he lied to move his career further. Oh, no - wait. That's right his basketball career tanked and he disappered for years before the stigma around AIDS lifted enough to come back into the light. Seriously OP?

by Anonymousreply 38April 26, 2011 2:54 PM

The 'look' does not come from any disease but from the drugs. Maybe he is not taking them.

by Anonymousreply 39April 26, 2011 3:08 PM

[R39] He said on Oprah he does take HIV drugs.

by Anonymousreply 40April 26, 2011 3:36 PM

R38, you are very wrong about his disappearing "for years before the stigma around AIDS lifted enough to come back into the light". Magic never went away. Magic played basketball in the 1992 NBA All star game and on the 1992 Olympic Dream Team. He then tried to return for the 1992-1993 NBA season but ignorant players balked at playing against/with him, so he retired again amid the controversy.

He also started the Magic Johnson Foundation in 1991 which funds numerous HIV/AIDS programs. He has been active in various activities related to HIV/AIDS since then.

So you are very wrong, Magic never went away and hid from the public.

by Anonymousreply 41April 26, 2011 5:16 PM

[quote]He then tried to return for the 1992-1993 NBA season but ignorant players balked at playing against/with him, so he retired again amid the controversy.

This was my point right here. Coming out with HIV was hardly beneficial to his basketball career and the idea that he faked it, or whatever, for any reason is ludicrous. Basketball was his bread and butter.

by Anonymousreply 42April 26, 2011 5:22 PM

My crazy friend used to fully believe that there is a cure for HIV/AIDS for people who have the right resources. People like Magic Johnson make me wonder if that's true.

by Anonymousreply 43April 26, 2011 5:50 PM

I have HIV and I am an engineer who works for the largest STD dating and support site STDslove. com. I have to tell you a secret, you can choose not to believe me. But the truth is that this site has more than 1,880,000 members and about 80% members are good looking in my estimation. Unfortunately, STD rates soar worldwide and most people with STDs don't even know that they have them. The government should grant more money for STD education to lower the rates of STD transmission.

by Anonymousreply 44April 28, 2011 6:50 AM

I am sure he didn't lie about HIV itself, but I believe he lied about how he got it.

[quote]My crazy friend used to fully believe that there is a cure for HIV/AIDS for people who have the right resources. People like Magic Johnson make me wonder if that's true.

Of course people with connections enjoy advantages common people with no such connections don't have access to. I am sure there are effective drug treatments out there and their official approvals are deliberately slowed down in order for the drug companies to make profits for as long as possible with the drugs which are already available on the market (or aren't even in the process of being approved for that very reason). And for people with connections these unknown to the public drug treatments are availave with a minimal risk to suffer from side effects but with a higher chance to keep HIV from becoming Aids for maybe forever.

I am sure the moment there's a new disease that falls upon a bigger market than "just" gays, sex addicts and the occasional drug user the drug companies will unload their revolutionary HIV drug medication in order to fill their stocks with new drugs for that new modern and hip disease everybody wants a cure for.

by Anonymousreply 45April 28, 2011 8:31 AM

[quote]It's really terrifying how misinformed some of you people are.

It happens on all the threads about health issues. It's scary, but DL is no worse than any other forum where health issues are discussed. Just tonight I was looking up side effects for guaifenesin, and I found a half dozen forums where people asked about side effects, and the only replies were just guesses. Not a single one of these people bothered to go to drugs.com or the NIH websites and get the officially listed side effects, they just made shit up.

by Anonymousreply 46April 28, 2011 9:04 AM

umm.. hard to say. but i heard someone on the largest std support stddatings.com discussed this. in fact, no matter what the fact is.. i always love him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47April 30, 2011 3:51 AM

No NEVER had HIV... MJ was trying to get out of his Lifetime contract he had w/the L.A. Lakers He had a medical clause in his contract!! It's 2011 now (20 years later 1991) His ass should be already dead!!

by Anonymousreply 48July 10, 2011 12:52 AM

I have a straight female friend (Asian, fwiw) who has been HIV + for over 20 years. She got it from a boyfriend who she found out was bi. She hasn't been sick a day of those 20 years, except for side effects from the drug regimen. She isn't wealthy, and just has the basic middle-class-employed-person's health insurance. Her T cell count is fine, as far as I know.

I think the relationship between AIDS and HIV is more complex than we currently understand.

by Anonymousreply 49July 10, 2011 1:07 AM

Magic Johnson HIV doctor was the very best in country at that time David Ho. He started Magic on what was called the "cocktail" immediately which helps to explain his longevity. However, I know several folk who got it in the 80's and are still alive and some are thriving. A few of them are bitter because they sold off their assets years ago thinking they would never live for another 25 to 30 years.

by Anonymousreply 50July 10, 2011 1:51 AM

MJ has been on the downlow for years. A close friend of mine who works in the media told me that MJ's sexuality was an open secret with sportswriters. The truth is that MJ was too big to touch in the 80's. You don't print gossip about a person like that and not worry about the consequences. If the media had tried to out him in the late 80's advertisers would have reacted strongly. %0D %0D The story goes that he went public about his HIV status because the word had gotten around the NBA. To this day, there is a rule (at least in the mainstream media)that you don't cross certain lines: the children of celebs and politicans, health issues, personal tragedies. Of course, with the Internet, all bets are off. You need to remember 20 years ago you did not have a DL. You did not have the 24/7 news cycle in the 80's--and MJ was big business.%0D %0D Do a search here at DL. I remember a long time ago people posting about how the guy loved to hang out in San Fran bathouses. Again, he did not get the disease from thousands of women. No. way. Jose.

by Anonymousreply 51July 10, 2011 2:07 AM

Oh how our OP pines for those halcyon days when people with HIV were walking wraiths, with sunken cheeks, KS lesions, Crix belly...that is, if they could walk, what with spending 25 hours a day shitting and taking pills.%0D %0D It's so very inconvenient when people don't keep up with the old ways, isn't it OP?

by Anonymousreply 52July 10, 2011 2:22 AM

I am on year 22 and look healthy.

by Anonymousreply 53July 10, 2011 7:19 AM

AIDS is a myth. You're still falling for this shit?

by Anonymousreply 54July 10, 2011 7:25 AM

It is heartening to read about long-term survivors.

"My cousin did sleep around with a number of women who did IV drugs and prostituted for drugs thus it probably increased his risk but it's not like it's impossible for straight guys to get it (look at the Africa numbers, most are het transmissions). "

There are two global elephants in the room here. The first is that being a hypersexual male pussyhound excludes you from also having sex with men. In fact, men who are hypersexual with women will often have sex with men too occasionally. As men who are hypersexual with men will occasionally have sex with women.

The second elephant in the room is the fact that the heterosexual transmissions are from male-to-female, not usually female-to-male. Men (generally) get HIV from other men. Women (generally) get HIV from men.

Until the world acknowledges its bisexuality, I can't see how we can have effective HIV education.

by Anonymousreply 55July 10, 2011 7:49 AM

Target dropped MJ like yesterdays news. Maybe this will come back to bite them in the ass. It would be great to see MJ team up with a company and crush Target. I have been to Target since their fiasco but haven't spent a dime there. Until CEO is fired... and he won't be so the idea is mote.

by Anonymousreply 56July 10, 2011 7:52 AM

Magic might be one of those people who has a certain rare genetic factor where HIV does not effect them as much as it does other people, not the gene where you're supposedly immune to certain strains.

I also wonder if Magic is bisexual or gay and on the DL, if he shared a steroid needle, or if he just did it raw either anally or vaginally with a woman.

I found this article today about him at the link.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57November 8, 2011 11:55 PM

R11 some HIV meds make people gain a lot of weight in their stomach.

R8, I know A LOT of tops who are HIV+ and many tops who did it all raw back in the 70s and 80s and consider themselves to be very lucky and have no idea why they are still HIV neg.

Granted if you are taking cum up your ass from people or even a lot of people like lots of bottoms did in the 70s and 80s you're probably going to get infected with multiple strains of HIV, and coupled with drug or alcohol abuse that also can fuck up your immune system.

by Anonymousreply 58November 8, 2011 11:59 PM

Money OP.

by Anonymousreply 59November 9, 2011 12:02 AM

R8 let's also not forget oral sex, I know men who did get HIV from giving oral sex but they had cuts, sores, or open wounds in their mouth from recent dental work, and they were into taking cum in their mouth and swallowing whoever they sucked off.

by Anonymousreply 60November 9, 2011 12:02 AM

What did Target do? OMM is boycotting them for donating to an organization that helps suicidal gay teens.

by Anonymousreply 61November 9, 2011 12:03 AM

They used to say he and Isiah Thomas were a couple....

by Anonymousreply 62November 9, 2011 12:31 AM

My problem with Magic is that he isn't being honest about being bi-sexual. Therefore, he has 'terrorized' a bunch of men into believing they can catch HIV from hetrosexual sex, which is almost impossible. It does make him real 'good' with the politically correct community, which wants everybody to be very afraid of HIV, terrorism, and offending anybody for anything.

by Anonymousreply 63April 14, 2012 8:17 PM

I find it funny at how he announced he had HIV then for it NOT to sound so bad, on yeah I got it from a woman. Like that was supposed for it to be ok, I got it from cheating on my wife but at least I said it wasn't from a man. SMH

by Anonymousreply 64April 14, 2012 8:24 PM

Only on DL can people dismiss bisexuality of members on their threads and then in the same breath claim that their seemingly straight celebrity hero must be bisexual.

And why are celebs apparently allowed to be bi on DL? Because it makes posters feel just a little better about their gayness. "I cant be so bad if Magic likes men too", right?

by Anonymousreply 65April 14, 2012 8:30 PM

I've no idea how he got it. But uncut guys can and do contract HIV more easily through het sex. Something about receptor cells in the foreskin.

by Anonymousreply 66April 14, 2012 8:37 PM

I always wondered if possibly Johnson got AIDS from sleeping (and bottoming) with what he thought was a woman but was a tranny...possible? also, I agree with the posters who point out that if one has money and access to the absolute best drugs( or even without being rich, there are some great drugs available out of SF General; I have a 38-year old friend who was infected at 19 and is still alive and, I am told, doing well); anyway, yes, someone with Magic Johnson's wealth might have a leg up, so to speak. Jerry Herman has lived a long time (and much older than Johnson) with the help of excellent drugs; he has stated as much. God bless all of them.

by Anonymousreply 67April 14, 2012 8:47 PM

Finally a post on which I have some insider knowledge (not v juicy though). I went to Michigan State and he was one of the more conspicous athletes on campus. He also had a reputation for being a pussy hound - I remember this because even then some eye brows would raise over interracial dating. And because it was assumed he would turn pro, he had alot of attention from both black and white girls.

I also know his wife Cookie through mutual friends. And they say that he adores her but she cheats on him brazenly, including with his friends. Maybe its an open relationship?

by Anonymousreply 68April 14, 2012 8:50 PM

How on earth can you think you're bottoming for a woman who was really a tranny, r67? Wouldn't her dick up your ass be a dead giveaway?

by Anonymousreply 69April 14, 2012 8:57 PM

I have a friend who has been positive since the '80s and he continues to do great. He told me he thinks he must have had a milder version, because his viral load has never been all that bad.

He did get pneumonia a long time ago, but it wasn't pneumocystis pneumonia, and he recovered just fine. At one point, he even went back into show business and toured with a show.

by Anonymousreply 70April 14, 2012 10:28 PM

I wonder, if it's about the best medication money can buy, then how come Freddie Mercury who got sick around the same time did not survive?

by Anonymousreply 71April 14, 2012 11:14 PM

No shit, if money could buy life then why is Steve Jobs dead?

by Anonymousreply 72April 14, 2012 11:19 PM

[quote]I've no idea how he got it. But uncut guys can and do contract HIV more easily through het sex. Something about receptor cells in the foreskin.

That's a myth. It's been debunked ten billion times. Europe is 99% uncut, and America, where the majority are cut, are off the charts when it comes to STDs.

by Anonymousreply 73April 15, 2012 12:02 AM

He could be lying about drug use.

by Anonymousreply 74April 15, 2012 12:20 AM

Magic Johnson did not get hiv from homosexual sex. I have a straight male friend who got it from a dirty sponge.

by Anonymousreply 75April 15, 2012 12:36 AM

Hmm. Was he playing basketball when he got it? This would have forced an insurance pay out if he didn't want to play any more.

by Anonymousreply 76April 15, 2012 12:41 AM

R44, spam elsewhere or pay for advertising like everyone else. Douchebag.

by Anonymousreply 77April 15, 2012 12:44 AM

>>>No shit, if money could buy life then why is Steve Jobs dead?

Steve Jobs killed Steve Jobs. He refused the established standard treatment for his very treatable cancer. Instead he thought he knew better than all the best cancer experts and he choose to do hollistic treatments (juicing, fasts and other bullshit). And while he was doing these treatments his cancer grew into untreatable cancer and it spread. He realized this fact when it was too late and he admitted this to his biographer before he died. Magic sought out the best Dr's in the world and he followed their advice. Steve didn't

by Anonymousreply 78April 15, 2012 1:23 AM

Recently watched a documentary on the guy. He seems like a decent person who made a bad mistake. Agree with others who say he started out in optimal help, which helped him fight the virus.

by Anonymousreply 79April 15, 2012 1:42 AM

r73 - link?

by Anonymousreply 80April 15, 2012 1:46 AM

fredy had advanced to full blown AIDS and his immume system was totally compromied...he'd probally had untreated HIV foR ten years. Magic's HIV was caught right away...his immune system was never compromised. Apples and oranges.

by Anonymousreply 81April 15, 2012 1:48 AM

If Jerry Herman can still be alive, Magic Johnson can still be alive.

by Anonymousreply 82April 15, 2012 1:52 AM

What about Calvin Kline? Didn't everyone say he had aids but maybe he had enough $ to get some special treatments?

by Anonymousreply 83April 15, 2012 1:57 AM

Here's a link for r73:

"In 2010, the WHO said there was compelling evidence that circumcision can reduce the risk of HIV infection by around 60% in high risk areas such as sub-Saharan Africa.

Experts give several reasons for this including that the foreskin traps HIV in a moist environment allowing the virus to live longer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84April 15, 2012 2:21 PM

When he was first diagnosed, African-American friend told me that Magic's doc had informed her that he had contracted AIDS through sex with MEN.

by Anonymousreply 85April 15, 2012 2:31 PM

R71 Mercury did not have near as early a diagnoses as Magic Johnson did by any means. Sadly, it was just all far too late for him.

by Anonymousreply 86April 15, 2012 2:41 PM

R85, I find it very hard to believe Magic's doctor gossiped with your friend or anyone about his patient. And if he shared this with anyone for legitimate medical or research reasons it was not someone who in turn shared it with others as gossip.

Despite DL's delusion that such info or other highly private info is readily available for public consumption and hence will make it to DL or Enty or any other gossip forum, that is hardly ever, ever the case. Sorry to burst your fantasies.

by Anonymousreply 87April 15, 2012 2:59 PM

I have a friend who has been poz for at least 20 years. You would never know by looking at him. He's in his 60s.

R36 is correct. the misinformation on this thread is really horrifying for a group of gay men in this day and age.

Oh, and this guy is a bottom and the first person I ever know to die from AIDS (and there were many in NYC in the 80s) was a straight woman who would screw random guys she met in clubs (ala Carrie Bradshaw).

by Anonymousreply 88April 15, 2012 3:04 PM

Edmund White also has the genetic luck to keep his HIV manageable.

by Anonymousreply 89April 15, 2012 3:22 PM

2012 documentary on Magic Johnson's AIDS journey.

The Announcement - The Magic Johnson HIV Story Part 1

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90April 15, 2012 3:33 PM

R87, I'm not r85 but have worked in the health field for over 25 years. Personal and confidential information about patients were not as tightly guarded as it is today. That's why HIPPAA had to be made law. I don't doubt R85's story.

by Anonymousreply 91April 15, 2012 4:05 PM

[quote]a straight woman who would screw random guys she met in clubs (ala Carrie Bradshaw).

Did I miss that episode of SATC? When did Carrie "screw random guys she met in clubs"? She dated different guys, enjoyed casual sex once in a while (like all normal single people in the last 40-50 years) and frequented clubs, but I'm not remembering her picking up "random guys" for sex.

by Anonymousreply 92April 15, 2012 4:18 PM

HIPAA has nothing to do with that r91. Even back then gossiping about an ill patient would have been frowned on. Shockingly unprofessional (if it even happened, which i doubt).

by Anonymousreply 93April 15, 2012 4:19 PM

OP, not everyone goes on meds early on after being diagnosed and I'm not sure when Magic first did. Some people don't go on meds for many years after being diagnosed, at least now. Also, some people have very good cosmetic and pharmaceutical help in maintaining their appearance.

In any event, no one pretends to have hiv, least of all pretending to have hiv to the general public when one is a celebrity.

by Anonymousreply 94April 15, 2012 4:29 PM

"compelling evidence"

"Compelling" does not equal "fact". They've used "compelling" for tons of bogus studies, because if they flat out said that they couldn't prove their theory, no one would give them the time of day. It's an old scam.

[quote]Experts give several reasons for this including that the foreskin traps HIV in a moist environment allowing the virus to live longer.

And it's a bullshit theory, that's been debunked a million times. Europe is uncut, and it's places like America that have most of the problems, despite being cut.

Their "uncircumcised penises cause cervical cancer" crap, should have led to a ton of people stripped of their licences. That was the lowest of the low!

Boys are dying in Africa from these routine circumcisions they're forcing upon them now.

What these people need is education.

What they get today, is abstinence education, and no condoms.

Are you going to tell me that the majority of people in the US who contracted HIV were uncut? Give me a break. The majority of HIV cases in the US were of gay men who were circumcised like the vast majority of the population.

Africans will continue to rape women and babies, without proper education. So snipping them isn't going to help anything. They'd still be in danger like people in the US who screw around without condoms and are circumcised. And again, circumcision has no bearing on HIV infection.

These are people who live in raw sewage, and barely clean themselves. Of course disease is going to run rampant.

Circumcision is religious buffoonery, and it came to America thanks to a Christian nut, who wanted to stamp out childhood masturbation.

by Anonymousreply 95April 15, 2012 4:42 PM

You must be the anti circ troll. You sound racist.

The fact is uncut men can get HIV more easily through hetero sex than cut guys can when condoms aren't used. It's not a contest about what is the leading cause.

by Anonymousreply 96April 15, 2012 4:56 PM

I think a man is very susceptible to AIDS from fucking women, esp. if the HIV+ women have venereal disease sores, menstruating, etc. etc.

We're talking about a virus so tiny it's 1/20th the size of an ecoli bactirium, and you need an electron microscope to even see it.

by Anonymousreply 97April 15, 2012 5:12 PM

I'll bet that HIV infected dick of hers is 15 inches long, and I'll bet some of you bug chasing whores on this thread would let her shove it up your ass with abandon.

by Anonymousreply 98April 15, 2012 5:19 PM

r95 - Not disagreeing with you but I still haven't seen where this has been debunked. Again, link please?

by Anonymousreply 99April 15, 2012 5:36 PM

[r76] he tried to make a comeback after coming out

by Anonymousreply 100April 15, 2012 6:23 PM

Ban the troll @ R98

by Anonymousreply 101April 15, 2012 7:30 PM

[quote]Did I miss that episode of SATC? When did Carrie "screw random guys she met in clubs"? She dated different guys, enjoyed casual sex once in a while (like all normal single people in the last 40-50 years) and frequented clubs, but I'm not remembering her picking up "random guys" for sex.

Oh please. Especially in the earlier episodes, all the girls acted like whores.

by Anonymousreply 102April 15, 2012 7:46 PM

The poster above didn't say they "acted like whores", which is clearly subjective language that is open to interpretation. He said Carrie Bradshaw picked up "random guys in clubs", which I don't think was ever typical for her character. Samantha, yes, but not Carrie.

by Anonymousreply 103April 15, 2012 7:53 PM

As a lesbian it is my duty to tell all of you the FACTS about HIV.

Fact 1: NO ONE can get HIV easier than another. No matter your race, sexual preference, or lifestyle in any way.

Fact 2: Aids has mostly been known as the "gay" disease but in fact, More black women have HIV than anyone in this country.

Fact 3: HIV doesn't have a preference So if you stick your wick in a female with HIV without a condom, your infecting yourself.

Don't believe the garbage. you as straight men are just as likely to get HIV than any gay man.

Lets not even mention the people that hide their drug addictions infecting other people by sleeping around but also hiding in bathrooms putting needles in their arms. Magic Johnson is definitely a straight man. He's your proof that you don't have to be gay to get it.

by Anonymousreply 104July 24, 2012 6:08 PM

"1: NO ONE can get HIV easier than another. No matter your race, sexual preference, or lifestyle in any way.

Fact 2: Aids has mostly been known as the "gay" disease but in fact, More black women have HIV than anyone in this country."

QuotingTru: Bitch, not only you sound like a dumbass prejudiced cunt muffin, you contradicted yourself as well.

by Anonymousreply 105July 25, 2012 8:46 PM

Whether he does or doesn't, I didn't do it!

by Anonymousreply 106July 26, 2012 3:20 PM

the lez-lez woman is an idiot. I think Magic's an idiot too.

by Anonymousreply 107July 26, 2012 6:50 PM

When a reasonable doubt comes to a collective mind...maybe I'm conspiranoic but, might he be pushed to choose between a fake death and completely dissapear from the public eye or the HIV thing and keep living behind the scene. Is 2Pac still alive? and Jacko? Illuminati pushin' the game to go on but some players getting tired? Maybe I'm too sick and twisted...maybe.

by Anonymousreply 108July 27, 2012 4:52 PM

R104, men still account for a majority of HIV disease.

by Anonymousreply 109July 27, 2012 5:09 PM

Exactly R81. Magic was also not a heavy drug user and was in excellent health.

by Anonymousreply 110July 27, 2012 5:10 PM

I really think the government made him say that for they can sell more drugs for people having hiv. So the government can say that you can live with HIV. The government also don't want people going crazy because they have it. It is all about money in this world. We just have to wake up because the government put this virus out here for Afro Americans can get it and kill our race. Or it is a cure and they just not telling us because we don't have money like some people. Any question I would gladly answer them my email is kaionelee@yahoo.com thank you.

by Anonymousreply 111July 31, 2012 12:03 AM

Magic was just on Wendy Williams...she seemed reluctant to hug him and did an air kiss @ the end of their interview.

by Anonymousreply 112October 11, 2012 6:40 AM

R104 is stupid. If straight men got HIV from vaginal sex just as readily as gay men from anal sex, there would have been millions upon millions more dead in the 80's and 90's. MagicJ is a DL gay and got it up the butt just like vast majority of other men. He MAY be a long term non progressor, which would account for his robust healthy appearance.

by Anonymousreply 113October 11, 2012 1:14 PM

I've always wondered if guys with bigger dicks are at greater risk of contracting HIV, since they can beat up their partner's ass/pussy more & therefore increase their risk of blood contact. If so, maybe Magic just has a huge peen?

by Anonymousreply 114October 11, 2012 1:23 PM

No, but partners on big peened men are more likely to have torn internal tissue(be it vaginal or anal) than those who fuck needle dick shorties.

I know. I been tore up many damn times.

by Anonymousreply 115November 12, 2012 6:42 AM

Hey guys, look it's tonight's freeper troll and he's bumping some stupid ass old thread.

Is it to push down the other threads where I call him out for his stupid transparent trolling?

Who cares, just remember this idiot's M.O. for the future.

Yes, it's the freeper troll at r115.

by Anonymousreply 116November 12, 2012 6:47 AM

why doesn't he have facial wasting?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117February 8, 2013 1:49 AM

That's right, OP, Magic is just bullshitting us that he has HIV because it's such a boon to one's life to have people them think one is poz.

by Anonymousreply 118February 8, 2013 1:52 AM

Magic's son is gay

Guess he got part of daddy's genes

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119April 2, 2013 4:59 PM

The truth has yet to come out of the closet.

1. If Magic had HIV in 1991, and his gay son was born in 1993, does Cookie and their younger children have the HIV virus.

2. What info is Cookie holding? Why would she sleep with her husband post-HIV announcement and give birth to their son in 1993 if Magic has HIV?

3. Does Magic, Cookie, and their son have HIV?

No one is asking these "keep it real" questions. It ain't adding up --- put that family on Oprah and ask the tuff questions.

by Anonymousreply 120April 7, 2013 1:23 AM

Magic was cured of AIDs by Jesus in 1997 (according to his wife).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121April 7, 2013 1:41 AM

R120, I know that docs give babies (of hiv mom) meds when they're born and they do not become HIV.

I wonder if their children are born via IVF? Do they have such tech back then??

by Anonymousreply 122April 7, 2013 1:53 AM

I have a friend who works in healthcare, and she told me one of the most disgusting things I've ever heard. She said many pregnant African American women actually refuse the medication that blocks their baby from contracting the HIV virus because the government pays them more benefits when they have an HIV+ child. If that isn't sick, I don't know what is.

by Anonymousreply 123April 7, 2013 2:00 AM

R123, That sounds like one of those conspiracy theories that racists tell each other, so they can continue to hate.

by Anonymousreply 124April 7, 2013 11:16 AM

R123, did your friend tell you that all pregnant African-American women do this or just some. What about white women?

R124 got it right.

by Anonymousreply 125April 7, 2013 11:26 AM

Women do horrible shit for more benefits. It's not a myth or a conspiracy. My family has worked for Social Security and welfare. There are welfare queens. They pop out more children for money. It's sad, but it exists big time.

by Anonymousreply 126April 7, 2013 11:39 AM

Arthur Ashe was an athlete.

by Anonymousreply 127April 7, 2013 11:40 AM

[quote] "My cousin did sleep around with a number of women who did IV drugs and prostituted for drugs thus it probably increased his risk but it's not like it's impossible for straight guys to get it (look at the Africa numbers, most are het transmissions). " There are two global elephants in the room here. The first is that being a hypersexual male pussyhound excludes you from also having sex with men. In fact, men who are hypersexual with women will often have sex with men too occasionally. As men who are hypersexual with men will occasionally have sex with women. The second elephant in the room is the fact that the heterosexual transmissions are from male-to-female, not usually female-to-male. Men (generally) get HIV from other men. Women (generally) get HIV from men. Until the world acknowledges its bisexuality, I can't see how we can have effective HIV education.

Quoted for truth.

by Anonymousreply 128April 7, 2013 11:55 AM

Only African-American women, r126?

by Anonymousreply 129April 7, 2013 12:51 PM

IDK IF HE DOES HAVE AIDS OR NOT. IM SURE HE ONLY BROKE THE NEWS AND CAME OUT BECAUSE SOME ONET AT THE LAB AND OR HIS PHYSICIANS OFFICE FOUND OUT THAT HIS RESULTS FOR THE TEST WAS POSITIVE. BY EXPOSING HIM SELF IT SOFTENED THE BLOW OF HAVING SOME ONE ELSE BREAK THE NEWS OR TRY TO EXPLOIT HIM.. AFTER ALL THESE YEARS SOMEONE WOULD HAVE BROKE THE STORY AND HAVE GOTTEN PAID BIG BUCKS IF THEY HAD PROOF THAT MAGIC LIED ABOUT BEING HIV POSITIVE.IJS

by Anonymousreply 130June 19, 2013 5:06 AM

Did Magic become HIV+ from a woman, a man, or IV drug use?

by Anonymousreply 131July 4, 2013 5:31 AM

It's true R102 but nobody should look to the fictional sex in the city TV show or movies for actual information on how not to get an STD or have safer sex. In reality being that the characters live in NYC and were sexually active with a lot of men, and not monogamous they would all at least have HPV and probably herpes and HIV as well, or the ones who were into doing random dudes and not into being monogamous or having safer sex would.

by Anonymousreply 132July 4, 2013 6:05 AM

There are really only 3 options (as a medical professional):

1. He has a mutated T-cell, which studies show basically makes you immune to the HIV virus.

2. He's lying.

3. He had a false positive and is still lying

Money and previous physical condition doesn't factor in. If it did, the following people would also still be alive:

Arthur Ashe: tennis star and humanitarian Freddie Mercury: lead singer for Queen Easy E: rap legend, founder of NWA Rock Hudson: prolific actor Robert Reed: Mr. Brady Pedro Zamora: Real World star Gia Garangi: hugely successful supermodel Perry Ellis: world renown fashion designer Liberace: famous entertainer Kevin Peter Hall: actor who played all the Hollywood monsters like Predator John Fogerty: famous member of CCR Anthony Perkins: famous actor

Those people were all in good to excellent physical condition at the time of their diagnosis. They were all wealthy. They all died within four years.

by Anonymousreply 133October 24, 2013 3:42 PM

I believe there has always been a small percentage of people who have tested positive for the HIV virus but, for whatever reason(s) that are not fully understood, have never progressed to full-blown AIDS.

by Anonymousreply 134October 24, 2013 3:52 PM

134 posts over 3 years & still not one good reason why a superstar athlete would've lied about being HIV+ in 1991 & kept the ruse going for 22 years no less! The covert racism in this thread is very apparent but not surprising in the least. I didn't bother to read all of this filth as it became monotonous after awhile. I'm quite sure the old "Blacks Fucking Monkeys Are To Blame For My Positive Status" was dragged out quite a few times. Followed by someone calling that an oxymoron. You girls are so predictable, yet so pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 135October 24, 2013 4:33 PM

R135, the OP didn't actually suggest that Magic Johnson was lying about being HIV positive. There's at least one other possible explanation: false positive tests.

Also, as I mentioned, I think some people STILL confuse being HIV positive with having full-blown AIDS. But I believe there has always been a small percentage of people who have the virus but never progress to the illness, or at least have gone many years without progressing to the illness..

by Anonymousreply 136October 24, 2013 4:55 PM

Prolific actor Robert Reed??? I agree with the actor part, not the prolific part.

by Anonymousreply 137October 24, 2013 4:56 PM

R133- CCR's John Fogerty is very much alive and recently put out an album.

I'm not sure why you think the people you have listed are comparable to elite athletes and it's not clear why you assume they were in good to excellent physical health.

Gia Carangi was a long term IV drug user who had multiple health problems (and was by no means wealthy). Freddie Mercury was a terrible chain smoker. Robert Reed was a very heavy drinker, probably an alcoholic. I really don't know much about Eazy E, but a rapper's lifestyle isn't really conducive to good health. BTW, he died within a month of his HIV/AIDS diagnosis. Liberace was a vision of middle-aged pudginess and he used poppers on a regular basis.

Copying and pasting a list isn't evidence that prior health status doesn't contribute to outcomes. Is there a peer review study that demonstrates health and physical status at time of seroconversion have no impact on longevity?

by Anonymousreply 138October 24, 2013 8:23 PM

This reminds me of the rumours that he found a cure, but hasn't told anyone. Ozone was mentioned for a while.

by Anonymousreply 139October 24, 2013 8:43 PM

R135 How do you know no one has given a good reason for Magic to lie about being HIV+ if, as you admitted, you haven't bothered reading all the posts in this thread?

by Anonymousreply 140October 24, 2013 9:22 PM

[quote]Prolific actor Robert Reed??? I agree with the actor part, not the prolific part.

Marcia, Marcia, Marcia....

No one said good, just prolific. ( Producing abundant works or results: a prolific artist. )

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 141October 24, 2013 9:53 PM

I was really confused about the Fogerty reference.

by Anonymousreply 142October 24, 2013 9:56 PM

He lied because he was PAID to. He become something for ppl with HIV and aids to look to for hope of survival! He supposedly had it yet was able to have a healthy son and wife after "coming out" he had already 18 million from basketball, he was WELL taken care of. Was able to buy a team for 2 billion? Yea he was paid a LOVELY check for pulling away from basketball.

by Anonymousreply 143February 1, 2014 1:42 AM

Does his gay son have HIV, if Magic had it?

by Anonymousreply 144February 1, 2014 2:09 AM

why would he fake it? why wouldnt he? his career was nearin gits end, most bball players are past thier prime in their late thirties, now he takes up the mantle of HIV, a crusader if you will. also a very lucrative turn where he now doesnt have to play bball, saves his body and still rakes in the dough. does he have HIV? i doubt it.

by Anonymousreply 145May 13, 2014 6:13 PM

I don't believe he ever had it. Wife does not have it and neither does his 21 year old son, HMMM? Not sure what the conspiracy is behind this, but he never had it.

by Anonymousreply 146October 8, 2014 12:44 AM

"Why would he fake it? why wouldnt he? his career was nearin gits end, most bball players are past thier prime in their late thirties, now he takes up the mantle of HIV, a crusader if you will"

Yeah, that must be why all the aging sports stars are claiming they have AIDS! Oh, wait, they're not. You must be too young to understand the stigma and hysteria that was surrounding people with AIDS at the time

by Anonymousreply 147October 8, 2014 12:52 AM

Of course he has HIV. I totally do not get why people insist that he does not have it.

by Anonymousreply 148October 8, 2014 12:54 AM

I'm with r148. You young ones obviously don't remember how afraid people were of HIV back when Magic publicly stated that he had it. It was labeled a 'gay' disease, but heterosexuals were still terrified of getting it from casual encounters. My parent's friends drained a swimming pool after purchasing a house, because the previous owners were gay. They were afraid of catching aids.

by Anonymousreply 149October 8, 2014 12:59 AM

Yes. He got it from taking dirty loads from street hustlers.

by Anonymousreply 150October 8, 2014 1:04 AM

mother nature way of saying that body part dont go into that exit more gay men get i dont care who call me a a gay hater or bigot what ever i will never be all for the gay movement because if it was ok to be gay then they should be able to procreate with out an adoption agency same for gay women when 2 men or women can be together and have a baby biologically like a man and women can then i will be fine with it all the fact that the hiv risk is higher for gay men should be mother natures way of saying hey this is wrong that is not were that goes or gods way if any body still believes in him i believe homosexuality is what happens when the world gets over populated like it is and our world is very over populated and mother nature will find a way to sterilize the over populating species another reason i do not think it is ok is you do not see other animals having sex with the same gender of there species we are animals no matter how much we try say we are not the day to men can procreate without an adoption agency were one of them can give birth then i wont have a problem with it

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151June 6, 2015 4:57 AM

If it is so hard for men to get HIV from heterosexual encounters please explain the situation in sub-Saharan Africa where it is well documented straight men contract HIV.

by Anonymousreply 152June 6, 2015 10:01 AM

First of all, I can't believe this old thread was bumped by an ignorant, illiterate homophobe whose misconceptions are too many and too dumb to even address.

But other misconceptions are worth noting:

[quote]Also, as I mentioned, I think some people STILL confuse being HIV positive with having full-blown AIDS

You're the one who seems a bit confused. The term "full-blown AIDS" has always been very misleading. HIV is the virus that gives you the immunodeficiency syndrome (or AIDS). What people call full-blown AIDS with good intention is nothing other than the opportunistic disease you succumb to because you ALREADY HAVE AIDS. HIV is never dormant or in remission. It attacks your T-cells in some instances more successfully than others, and THAT is what compromises your immune system and ability to fend off PCP, CMV, KS, Encephalitis, etc. In short, though most people prefer using HIV positive rather than AIDS (because of the death sentence stigma the latter had) , there is no such thing as full blown AIDS, just AIDS-related conditions. HIV+ = presence of the virus. AIDS = the virus has successfully diminished your t-cells below a certain level. AIDS-related = horrible opportunistic diseases.

The lesbian who said AIDS can happen regardless of sexual preference needs to repeat a Gay 101 course. Sexual preference - hand jobs vs. anal, dirty talk vs. oral, condoms vs. bareback, a bisexual person choosing anal receptive, a bisexual woman choosing sex with a woman, porno, dildos - is precisely what can kill you or save your life.

Sexual orientation was an issue at a certain place and time only because of the frequency and diverse partners with which certain groups in America were having unprotected sex. It was never an issue for instance in Africa.

Magic Johnson's HIV status came to light as part of routine medical tests performed for insurance purposes. The NBA had to be notified and everything escalated from there. Nowadays, it would be illegal. His pregnant girlfriend got tested and so was the fetus later and they all cleared. AIDS carried a huge stigma then. No way was it something you disclosed falsely.

Arthur Ashe got infected through blood transfusions. Nobody, no matter how healthy, survived such a direct streamline of the virus into the blood back then.

Larry Kramer has been living with AIDS since 1981.

by Anonymousreply 153June 6, 2015 11:45 AM

Actually, R92 / R103, young Carrie was a huge tramp. Do you remember the episode where she bumps into the waiter that she randomly fucked at Tunnel (slut) , became pregnant (no birth control = stupid slut) and had an abortion, then spent the episode dragging the girls down about what could have been (emotionally manipulative slut).

Girl was a slut!

by Anonymousreply 154June 6, 2015 4:34 PM

Well I believe he has HIV

by Anonymousreply 155August 14, 2017 6:08 AM

He has the good kind of AIDS.

by Anonymousreply 156January 3, 2018 7:09 AM

Bump bitch is desperate tonight, bumping 7 year old threads about topics nobody cares about. Your brain must be as addled as your septuagenarian snatch is dry.

by Anonymousreply 157January 3, 2018 7:21 AM

R16 Money didn't seem to help all the other celebs that died of it. Care to explain?

by Anonymousreply 158January 3, 2018 7:51 AM

r153

[quote] Sexual orientation was an issue at a certain place and time only because of the frequency and diverse partners with which certain groups in America were having unprotected sex. It was never an issue for instance in Africa.

doubt that; no black man must have gay sex

by Anonymousreply 159January 3, 2018 9:46 AM

Ive been HIV positive since jan 11 1987 ( my first and only hiv test -( aced it first time!! Woooo hooo!) no leathery skin, im not rich and it would only be conjecture as to the reasons for my surviving --- diet, excersize, positive attitude, particular strain of hiv - no one knows. I just continue to live life and enjoy it !

by Anonymousreply 160January 3, 2018 12:50 PM

HIV is the virus that causes the condition known as AIDS. HIV kills your T-cells, and when your T-cell count falls below 200, you are officially diagnosed with AIDS. With T-cells that low, it's very difficult for the body to fight off opportunistic infections. Once you get the diagnosis of AIDS, it will not be rolled back, even if you later bring up your T-cell count to a healthy level with medicine. However, if you have the HIV virus, but your T-cells have never been measured at a level of below-200, then you are HIV positive, but you do not have AIDS.

Most HIV patients can keep their T-cell count high by taking their medication exactly as instructed; therefore their T-cell count never approaches the 200-count AIDS line. Medication COMPLIANCE (following the instructions to a tee) is extremely important; if you regularly skip doses, your body might become unresponsive to your medicine; then you'll have to switch to a different medicine. (If this happens multiple times, a patient can run out of treatment options. Alcohol, drugs, and depression are the typical causes of noncompliance, and these conditions should be treated asap so they don't interfere with the patient's motivation/ability to take the medication.)

In the documentary, when Magic was interviewed with his doctor, David Ho, Magic made a point of saying, "I do exactly what you tell me to do." More recently, when Charlie Sheen was interviewed with his doctor (the Biggest Loser guy), he stressed that Charlie does not have AIDS, but that he's HIV-positive. Hopefully Charlie has his partying under control; it's hard to remember to take your medicine when you're under the influence of alcohol or other substances.

There is a very small number of people with the HIV virus who don't take medication, and their T-cell counts remain high; most patients aren't so lucky though. Some docs want to start HIV-positive patients on medication right away; other docs want to wait until T-cells drop to a certain level. The main purpose of waiting is to prevent side effects from the medicine. Note: there are multiple medications available, if a patient experiences side effects from one of the medications, he should ask his doctor to switch him to another medication. As the medicines continue to evolve, side effects become more minimal.

by Anonymousreply 161January 3, 2018 2:23 PM

r160, are you on any meds? If not, is it possible that you had a false positive on your first test?

by Anonymousreply 162January 3, 2018 2:24 PM

(162) I have been on meds since the fall of 98 - this was the first of the 3 drug coctail --- still on a cocktail, but the meds have changed --- before that. It was quit smoking, eat healthy, curtail alcohol, go to the gym --- and a host of "grapevine treatments" blueberry overload, grew my own kombucha (had to order through the mail) collodial silver, bitter melon enemas, hydrogen peroxide - food grade. --- when your address book looks like an obituary page , youll do anything oh and technically i have aids -- my t- cell count was below. 200 in 1995 - this past January i had my first opportunistic infection pcp pneumonia.-- doing fine now thanks

by Anonymousreply 163January 15, 2018 10:23 PM

Is it possible the Magic Johnson has a mild strain of HIV which has been easy to suppress.

by Anonymousreply 164January 15, 2018 10:26 PM

This is R160 again - why is it so hard to believe that Magic has HIV???? He and I are no rare flowers -- I live in suburban Cleveland and know at least a dozen friends and acquaintances who are in the 20 + years club ---

by Anonymousreply 165January 15, 2018 10:40 PM

I'm not sure I buy the "athlete, kept body in shape" argument. There were many dancers who were in fine shape physically that died from it.

by Anonymousreply 166January 15, 2018 11:04 PM

WHET Shinjukubaby?

by Anonymousreply 167January 15, 2018 11:21 PM

Jonathan Blake was one of the first HIV cases diagnosed in 1982 in Britain; he is still alive, whereas for example Mark Ashton who was diagnosed slightly later (and was in his early twenties and peak fitness) was dead by1987.

by Anonymousreply 168January 16, 2018 1:04 AM

R1, MJ was either already engaged to his wife, or married to her when he made the announcement about being positive. IIRC, they were already married.

by Anonymousreply 169January 16, 2018 1:42 AM

I remember seeing an episode of Oprah in the (within the past 15 years), in which she was interviewing a guest who had HIV. Oprah said something flippantly like, but you're OK, right? Look at Magic Johnson; he's doing great! The lady bristled and corrected Oprah that not all people with HIV have the conveniences that Magic enjoys. His wealth gave him access to the best doctors and he was able to afford the medicine that worked best for him, and probably also nationalists and personal trainers.

Today there are lots more options for medication. And social programs are helping people get access to the medication. The key is to get people tested so that they can get on the medicine before it's too late. Then, the key is to motivate people to follow the directions for taking their medicine. If you're feeling great, it's easy to take the medicine for granted. If you go on vacation for a couple of weeks, and forget to take your medication with you, then that combination of medication might not work for you when you get home.

by Anonymousreply 170January 21, 2018 4:07 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!