Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Plane Crashes

Are the victims still buckled in the seats when authorities make their way onto the scene? I guess that they would be. Could you image having to go in there and unbuckle them??? Any photos? Morbid, I know, but I've never seen/heard about such a thing.

by Anonymousreply 491March 10, 2019 9:16 AM

It depends on the crash, but most of the time the impact dislodges the passengers and their nude body parts are found throughout a crash area. The 1961 crash that killed the US skating team found most of the victims as charred skeletons still in their seats. When the Russians blew up KAL007 over the ocean, nude bodies washed ashore for weeks. In crashes into forrested areas the bodies are ripped apart by the branches and bits of pieces are found over a wide area. The same when the last space shuttle exploded. They don't know why the corpses are so often nude, but they assume the suction of the fusilage being torn away has something to do with it.

by Anonymousreply 1April 12, 2011 11:35 AM

I always wondered at what moment do you die. On impact? Or what if it blows up in the sky? Do you free fall?

by Anonymousreply 2April 12, 2011 12:15 PM

Depending on the altitude when flying, can you die from the sudden decompression or would you simply pass out?

by Anonymousreply 3April 12, 2011 12:34 PM

Lightning Crashes

by Anonymousreply 4April 12, 2011 12:45 PM

I remember when I lived in Washington State in the 70's that a small plane had crashed in the 1940's and was finally recovered. It had crashed into a snowbank and had been covered with ice and snow for 30 years in the Cascade Mountain Range. It was only located because a drought had caused the glacier to recede. The passengers were still strapped in their seats according to the newspapers.

by Anonymousreply 5April 12, 2011 12:53 PM

why on earth do you even want to know this op...?

by Anonymousreply 6April 12, 2011 1:01 PM

It's called morbid curiosity R6. If you aren't interested, move on.

by Anonymousreply 7April 12, 2011 1:13 PM

some remain strapped in...some unbuckle and walk away...some find themselves lying outside the plane clueless of how they got there.%0D %0D %0D example UA 232

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8April 12, 2011 1:25 PM

When that airliner was bombed over Lockerbie one couple went out and found a child strapped in his seat dangling from a tree in their yard. The were pretty traumatized by the sight and I remember seeing them start bawling on tv. People were kind of scattered all over and some were still in seats, some not. I don't know if any were in pieces but quite a few were intact.

by Anonymousreply 9April 12, 2011 1:53 PM

I have seen photos on Rancid.com of plane crash victims, which look like ground beef. Not pics that I would recommend you go searching for.

by Anonymousreply 10April 12, 2011 1:57 PM

*runs to rancid.com!*

by Anonymousreply 11April 12, 2011 2:10 PM

Rancid or Rotten.com?

by Anonymousreply 12April 12, 2011 2:12 PM

I saw some photos of the tsunami victims (the one that hit Thailand and Indonesia) on rotten.com. Horrible. A sea of bloated bodies with bulging eyes and swollen tongues. They were almost unrecognizable as human.

by Anonymousreply 13April 12, 2011 2:14 PM

Sorry it is Rotton.com. Lot's of gross stuff there to traumatize you and waste a couple of hours.

by Anonymousreply 14April 12, 2011 2:14 PM

Any photos?!? What the fuck is wrong with you?

by Anonymousreply 15April 12, 2011 2:15 PM

We all love to look at bloated bodies on the internet, just to ask them over for dinner.

by Anonymousreply 16April 12, 2011 2:22 PM

portions of the Air France jet which crashed/blew up over the Atlantic en route from Rio to Paris in June 2009 were found by the WHOI subs just a few weeks ago%0D %0D crew members reported there were passengers still strapped into their seats%0D %0D I remember reading when it first happened some of the passengers on board may not have died immediately....as a large portion of the fuselage didn't break up until it hit the ocean and there was speculation some could have been aware what was happening as they were wearing oxygen

by Anonymousreply 17April 12, 2011 4:19 PM

Two planes collided over a parking lot across the street from our school nurse's house. One was a small commuter jet and the other a single engine plane, so there were maybe 20 fatalities. Later she told me that she was initially shocked because the bodies strapped in their seats all were children. Then she saw the child dressed in a flight officer's uniform and realized even though their bodies were intact, all their bones had broken, causing them to shrink. It had been snowing so many of the people turned into hamburger showed up starkly in contrast, but the worst was all the neighborhood dogs descending on the scene to snag body parts.

by Anonymousreply 18April 12, 2011 4:22 PM

[quote]I remember reading when it first happened some of the passengers on board may not have died immediately....as a large portion of the fuselage didn't break up until it hit the ocean and there was speculation some could have been aware what was happening as they were wearing oxygen%0D %0D What a horrible way to go.

by Anonymousreply 19April 12, 2011 4:28 PM

95% of plane crashes happen on take-off and landing. Cause of death varies greatly but the most common causes in order: 1. Blunt force trauma 2) Smoke inhalation / carbon monoxide poisoning 3) Burns The blunt trauma usually occurs when the plane decelerates or stops very quickly, imposing forces upwards of 60g on the body, essentially disintegrating the body. There are very few crashes (Swiss over Nova Scotia, Air France from Rio to Paris) where there is evidence that passengers may have been aware that the plane was headed towards a crash. If it's not during take-off or landing, it's usually something like a collision or unexpected encounter with terrain (like a mountain).

by Anonymousreply 20April 12, 2011 5:01 PM

If you're genuinely interested, read "Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers" by Mary Roach. It's a very entertaining book that talks through various scenarios of death. Plane crashes get their own chapter, as do beheadings, scientific research, decomposition, cannibalism, etc. Ultimately, it asks many moral questions of the reader regarding their own mortality. Highly recommended.

by Anonymousreply 21April 12, 2011 5:08 PM

[quote]They don't know why the corpses are so often nude, but they assume the suction of the fusilage being torn away has something to do with it.%0D %0D When you only have a few minutes to live, might as well fuck!

by Anonymousreply 22April 12, 2011 5:41 PM

[quote]When that airliner was bombed over Lockerbie one couple went out and found a child strapped in his seat dangling from a tree in their yard. The were pretty traumatized by the sight and I remember seeing them start bawling on tv.%0D %0D Had it happened over Guadalajara, they would've given praise to the Saints for a pinata and thrown a party.

by Anonymousreply 23April 12, 2011 5:44 PM

Okay I laughed at R23. Tacky, tacky but funny.

by Anonymousreply 24April 12, 2011 5:48 PM

What does it feel like to hit the ground nose-first. Do you feel pain? Do you see the plane disentigrate?

by Anonymousreply 25April 12, 2011 5:54 PM

Have we ever seen any photos of celebrities or VIP's lost in a plane crash? Did the Enquirer or anyone ever print Buddy Holly or Patsy cline crash pics? Why do people from Country & Western playlists end up on crash victim lists? Why, why, why, I ask you?

by Anonymousreply 26April 12, 2011 5:55 PM

Here's Otis Redding's body being pulled from the wreckage.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27April 12, 2011 6:29 PM

R27 - I've never seen Otis look that alive.

by Anonymousreply 28April 12, 2011 6:34 PM

He looks fairly fresh and like he's asleep R27. How long was it before they recovered his body?

by Anonymousreply 29April 12, 2011 6:38 PM

Poor Otis ended sitting under the dock of the bay.

by Anonymousreply 30April 12, 2011 6:39 PM

OP = Plane crash death troll

by Anonymousreply 31April 12, 2011 7:23 PM

Oh cum on, we are all Death Trolls to one extent or another.

I love zombie movies, but have reoccurring nightmares; which never stops me from watching them again

by Anonymousreply 32April 12, 2011 7:29 PM

[quote]They don't know why the corpses are so often nude, but they assume the suction of the fusilage being torn away has something to do with it.

THE RAPTURE!

by Anonymousreply 33April 12, 2011 10:14 PM

[quote]What does it feel like to hit the ground nose-first. Do you feel pain? Do you see the plane disentigrate? All of your grammar and spelling errors flash before your eyes.

by Anonymousreply 34April 12, 2011 10:16 PM

I've broken my nose, and it did hurt.

by Anonymousreply 35April 12, 2011 10:22 PM

Re: Lockerbie -- I remember seeing the pictures on the news of people in trees still strapped to their seats Horrible. Upsets me to think about it.

by Anonymousreply 36April 12, 2011 10:27 PM

I asked a cousin, an Air Force officer, what the victims of the Lockerbie/Pan Am bombing would have experienced. It's not fun:

The bomb used to take down the jet was fairly small -- just large enough to cripple the plane but not large enough to kill many people. He estimated that anywhere from 10%-25% of the passengers would have been killed by the blast or the break-up of the jet. A majority of passengers would have survived the explosion. Due to hypoxia they would probably begin to lose consciousness quite quickly, but only for about a minute. By then, they'd be at a lower altitude where they would regain consciousness. They would still have another 3 or 4 minutes of free fall where they'd be perfectly aware of what was happening to them. Many of them were still belted into their seats when found on the ground.

Three to four minutes is quite a long time.

by Anonymousreply 37April 12, 2011 10:35 PM

A friend's cousin died on the Lockerbie flight. She was married to an heir of a great Aerospace company who had access to sealed TSB files. The bulk of the passengers in the part of the fuselage that remained intact were alive until impact with the ground.

by Anonymousreply 38April 12, 2011 10:39 PM

R37. Thanks, but be more detailed next time.

by Anonymousreply 39April 12, 2011 10:40 PM

I never understood why that photo of Otis Redding was published. They didn't even care about what his loved ones would think after seeing it.

by Anonymousreply 40April 12, 2011 10:46 PM

I never want to get on a plane.

by Anonymousreply 41April 12, 2011 10:47 PM

Still strapped to the seats? Can't say, but it was very warm and the sky was so blue that day.

by Anonymousreply 42April 12, 2011 10:49 PM

A Discovery Channel show from a few years ago showed a lot of airplane crashes and the aftermath. It was a show about the people who had to recover bodies, it believe. One plane crashed into a forest and there were many people, still clothed and intact, laying in trees. They apparently basically bounced into the trees on impact. Another crash involved the front end being damaged so most got out, but a guy sitting up front was still in his seat, a big black burned hole where his face should have been. His clothes, watch, everything else looked pristine.

by Anonymousreply 43April 12, 2011 10:49 PM

Is it true that Aailyah's plane crashed because she had too much luggage. Remember the scene in Titanic when the helicopter arrives with the old lady and all her stuff. That's me.

by Anonymousreply 44April 12, 2011 10:53 PM

R44, I'm intrigued. I never saw Titanic, but since helicopters are post WW2, surely you are mistaken?

by Anonymousreply 45April 12, 2011 10:59 PM

R45, I am referring to the movie Titanic, not the actual ship.

by Anonymousreply 46April 12, 2011 11:03 PM

But 99.9% don't crash.

by Anonymousreply 47April 12, 2011 11:10 PM

Thanks OP. Flying to Europe next month. Bring on the pills!

Thankfully crashes are rare.

by Anonymousreply 48April 12, 2011 11:13 PM

R40, look carefully at all disaster/murder/mayhem media that shows victims. Since probably the 70s, there are not photos or films of exposed white bodies. All victims are people of color.

I noticed this after the Boxing Day Tsunami killed a lot of white tourists, and the news readers went on and on about not showing the dead because of "privacy" but then the next week's Time magazine cover featuring a full page photo of an Indonesian woman dead on a beach. And after all the noise these news people made about privacy, a few months later after Katrina, there were again photos of dead drowning victims -- dead black drowning victims.

Then I saw a documentary on the Iraq War and there they were -- dead Muslims. Another documentary about the war in El Salvador was filled with dead Salvadorians.

But never ever do they show WASP sorts. The last bashed WASP I recall seeing was the photo once linked here of the body of a lady who had jumped off the Empire State building and landed on a car. If white people have been shown in the intervening years, they have been poor or homeless...

by Anonymousreply 49April 12, 2011 11:14 PM

R47, 99.9997%

by Anonymousreply 50April 12, 2011 11:17 PM

To this day the footage of the Lockerbie crash haunts me. Several news magazines shows showed victims still buckled in, seats dangling on rooftops.

by Anonymousreply 51April 12, 2011 11:20 PM

Interesting point R49 and I agree. It's similar to how we think nothing of having the artifacts of people of color in our museums. Many of them stolen from graves ie. native americans. Can you ever imagine anyone digging up the graves of white people and putting their their clothes and jewelry in a museum?

by Anonymousreply 52April 12, 2011 11:21 PM

It's the Plane Crash Death Troll again.

by Anonymousreply 53April 12, 2011 11:27 PM

I've thought the same thing looking at pictures like that, then I found out that death by burning, and also normal decomposition of the body will change the color of a white person's skin.

by Anonymousreply 54April 12, 2011 11:39 PM

[quote] Can you ever imagine anyone digging up the graves of white people and putting their their clothes and jewelry in a museum?%0D %0D Yes, I can. %0D %0D The Taklamakan Tocharian mummies are Caucasian. Their bodies, clothing and things buried with them are often showed in tv shows and magazines. %0D %0D Otzi the Iceman is Caucasian and he is in the South Tyrol Museum of Archeology. %0D %0D Tollund Man is a Caucasian mummy on display in the Silkeborg Museum in Denmark.%0D %0D Haraldsk%C3%A6r Woman is on display in a glass-covered sarcophagus in Vejle, Denmark.%0D %0D Bog bodies from Denmark, England, Germany, Netherlands and Ireland are in museums on display, as are any tools or clothing or weapons found with them.

by Anonymousreply 55April 12, 2011 11:47 PM

Casts of dead people from Pompeii, who were Caucasian, are on display. In fact, their whole town, which basically became a morgue, is on display with lots of their artifacts.

by Anonymousreply 56April 12, 2011 11:51 PM

R54, Modern people are just literally burying their heads in the sand if they think their graves won't be disturbed in the somewhat near future. Cemeteries are a fool's folly. Cremation and scattering for me. Back to the subject, I saw a picture of JFK Jr being pulled from the water. It was not recognizable as him.

by Anonymousreply 57April 12, 2011 11:58 PM

I remember reading about a Lockerbie resident who found the bodies of two women, seated next to each other, still in their seats and strapped in. They were holding each others hands and their fingers were interlocked.%0D %0D I cannot even begin to imagine dying that way, knowing what's happening.

by Anonymousreply 58April 12, 2011 11:59 PM

R45 = dumbass.%0D %0D R18, that never happened hon.

by Anonymousreply 59April 13, 2011 12:00 AM

The plane that crashed later in the week of 9/11 was horrible. That entire story was over shadowed by the towers.

by Anonymousreply 60April 13, 2011 12:05 AM

The Catacombe dei Cappuccini contain thousands of white mummies on display.

by Anonymousreply 61April 13, 2011 12:06 AM

I recall a plane crash in San Diego, CA in the 1970s and people were reported to be falling from the sky and landing on cars on the freeway. Anyone else remember this?

by Anonymousreply 62April 13, 2011 12:07 AM

The Pacific Southwest (PSA) crash?

by Anonymousreply 63April 13, 2011 12:10 AM

The people in first class always die first anyway.

by Anonymousreply 64April 13, 2011 12:12 AM

[quote] Can you ever imagine anyone digging up the graves of white people and putting their their clothes and jewelry in a museum?

See the exhibit of artifacts from the Titanic.

by Anonymousreply 65April 13, 2011 12:15 AM

There are pictures of the Buddy Holly crash. With bodies

by Anonymousreply 66April 13, 2011 12:16 AM

That was the 1978 PSA crash, R62. Many engineers were on board going to a conference. There are two very famous photos of it going down that you can google.

by Anonymousreply 67April 13, 2011 12:19 AM

Amateurs.

by Anonymousreply 68April 13, 2011 12:23 AM

This thread is making me HORNY as HELL!

by Anonymousreply 69April 13, 2011 12:27 AM

Those photos of the PSA plane going down and horrifying.

by Anonymousreply 70April 13, 2011 12:52 AM

Link R70?

by Anonymousreply 71April 13, 2011 12:58 AM

R71 just search PSA PLANE CRASH 1978 on Google images

by Anonymousreply 72April 13, 2011 1:00 AM

This guy has AMAZING pictures from the PSA crash site, nothing out there touches what he has. Please note that some of the pictures are from that godawful faces of death video. And a random thing, you will see a picture of a CSI's William Peterson as a very young, hot man from afar. Good luck finding him! I guess he was a visitor at the site. He had to have been 23 or 24.. This guy also has pictures of the Flight 255 crash site from 1987 in Detroit. All of those yellow tarps are burnt body parts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73April 13, 2011 1:07 AM

r59, why is r45 a dumbass if he hasn't seen Titanic and asks a genuine question why there might be a helicopter in a movie presumably set in 1912, not knowing that the film is framed by a modern-day story where an elderly survivor of the sinking is helicoptered to a ship in the Atlantic?

by Anonymousreply 74April 13, 2011 1:16 AM

Geez R73...

by Anonymousreply 75April 13, 2011 1:24 AM

No, r57, you did not see a photo of JFK, Jr. His remains were put in a container before being hauled aboard that ship.

by Anonymousreply 76April 13, 2011 1:25 AM

There are also private forums for gore and gory stuff that you have to register with in order access the pictures. I can't remember what they're called, but you can probably find them if you Google. Some are also pay sites, I think, which just blows my mind -- there are people sick enough to pay to look at dead, maimed humans.

by Anonymousreply 77April 13, 2011 1:32 AM

R76, I did too see a picture of a male body being pulled from the ocean, labeled as John Kennedy. I believe it is on Rotten.com, but it was found after a morbid search.

by Anonymousreply 78April 13, 2011 1:37 AM

I know some people who performed search and recovery operations after a plane crash in Pittsburgh back in the 90s. It was eerie to hear one of them describing body parts hanging from trees.

by Anonymousreply 79April 13, 2011 1:40 AM

People still talk about the PSA in San Diego. I believe that Olive St received the brunt of the debris.

by Anonymousreply 80April 13, 2011 1:45 AM

[quote]It was eerie to hear one of them describing body parts hanging from trees.%0D %0D a pair of legs, an Adam's apple...

by Anonymousreply 81April 13, 2011 1:47 AM

I remember reading that JFK Jr. and his passengers were still strapped in their seats when they were recovered.

by Anonymousreply 82April 13, 2011 1:47 AM

With JFK Jr, all I remember is that there were three victims but only two body bags...

by Anonymousreply 83April 13, 2011 1:50 AM

JFK Jr was raptured before the plane hit the water.

by Anonymousreply 84April 13, 2011 1:57 AM

I posted this this topic early this morning expecting to get bashed for bringing up such a disgusting topic. Now, it's 5 pages and growing! I'm more disturbed by DL's reaction to this than I would be to seeing actual photos of dead bodies. :p

by Anonymousreply 85April 13, 2011 2:00 AM

People must stay seated with their seatbelts fastened until the pilot turns off the seatbelt sign.

by Anonymousreply 86April 13, 2011 2:02 AM

And for good reason, too, r86:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87April 13, 2011 2:07 AM

Otis was still strapped in, and frozen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88April 13, 2011 2:12 AM

Which picture, R73? I didn't see him.

by Anonymousreply 89April 13, 2011 2:45 AM

A flight I was on in December almost crashed. I was going to Halifax from Toronto, and all of the flights later than us that day had been cancelled because winds in Halifax were over 100 kmph. We were late taking off, too (by about 2 hours), so I have no idea why they even attempted it.

Anyway, we started descending as per normal and there was no problem until we got to about... maybe 10,000 feet? At that point, something was obviously very wrong because the plane was rocking back and forth quite strongly, with severe turbulence. Some people were crying, others were puking. It was a very surreal experience. I just remember sitting there, thinking "Is this really happening?" I just felt so confined and helpless, but didn't really have the emotional reaction. Perhaps it was just shock.

At some point, they put on the thrusters and pulled upwards. Not gradually, either. The plane was dead silent for about 5 to 10 minutes before we finally pulled out of the weather. We ended up going back to Toronto.

The oddest thing was that there was never an explanation given. The pilots didn't announce anything, and the attendants gave away free liquor.

by Anonymousreply 90April 13, 2011 3:55 AM

During the Air France crash The Plane Crash Death troll wrote some of the funniest shit I have ever read at DL. So inappropriate.

Air France wreckage that was found this week in the Atlantic:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91April 13, 2011 4:05 AM

I'm surprised bodies were discovered in the Air France wreckage. After two years, I thought they would have disintegrated and/or been eaten by ocean critters.

by Anonymousreply 92April 13, 2011 4:13 AM

These plane crash pictures aren't hard to find, but I've always been surprised that pictures of Princess Diana's crash didn't surface somewhere. The power of the French court system?

by Anonymousreply 93April 13, 2011 4:14 AM

r92, surely they have been. Its probably just skeletal remains and clothing left that hasnt been taken by the ocean current.

Whats more amazing to me is how deep the wreckage is. Even if the black boxes are down there (I really hope they are) I wouldnt think they could withstand the pressure two miles under.

by Anonymousreply 94April 13, 2011 4:29 AM

You hit an "air pocket", r90, but if there wasn't a problem in Halifax you probably would have flown on. If you flew into Albuquerque or Palm Springs on a windy day, you'd experience a similar effect. Very unpleasant.

by Anonymousreply 95April 13, 2011 4:29 AM

Jesus Christ, R73. You could have warned us that some of the images are gruesome.%0D %0D I like putting those plane crash documentaries on my laptop and watching them whenever I fly. They're really interesting and make time go by so quickly. I'm sure my seatmates must think I'm a wierdo, though.

by Anonymousreply 96April 13, 2011 5:02 AM

Uh, he DID, R96. Re-read the post, you dingaling.

by Anonymousreply 97April 13, 2011 7:07 AM

What the 911 passengers must have experienced! I think about them every day. The worst attack in our nation's history affects me deeply to this day.

by Anonymousreply 98April 13, 2011 7:39 AM

You need to get over it, r98. All plane crashes are horrible, but those people weren't any more horrible than others. Only the people on Flight 93 knew what was in store for them. The other three flights thought they were being hijacked but would land until the last couple of minutes, just like with anyone else in a plane crash.

by Anonymousreply 99April 13, 2011 7:49 AM

One of the worst I know of is that Japan Airlines 747 where the pressure bulkhead failed in the tail and took out the hydraulics. The pilots tried to control the plane with only engine throttles, but the elevators flopped up and down which caused the plane to pitch up and down like a crazy rollercoaster ride for 32 minutes before they lost it into the side of a mountain. People would have been thoroughly motion sick as well as terrified. They found many farewell notes from the passengers describing the horror since they knew they would never survive. Only one little girl survived.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100April 13, 2011 8:30 AM

I feel for those families of those on the Air France flight. It must be like Day 1 all over again.

by Anonymousreply 101April 13, 2011 10:03 AM

Yikes, I can't believe I looked at R73's link, but I am horrified/fascinated by plane crashes, they're one of my worst nightmares. I can't imagine a more terrifying way to die.

by Anonymousreply 102April 13, 2011 10:56 AM

They have now found the wreckage of the 447 Air France plane crash from 2 years ago - with passengers strapped to their seats and still recognisable as the depth of the ocean is so cold where they are .... the plane didnt plunge down headfirst so hit the water flat ... lots of fractures on the bodies.%0D But do they leasve them there or try to bring them up? Its the deepest part of the ocean between Brazil and Europe.

by Anonymousreply 103April 13, 2011 12:48 PM

Jesus R100, that is some criminal negligence right there and they never really explained why the repair wasn't done to Boeing specifications. Some guy in a hurry to get home or trying to save money? My grandfather was an engineer and he swears by Boeing, saying they are the safest aircraft out there, but will not board an Airbus. He says they are dangerous.

by Anonymousreply 104April 13, 2011 1:09 PM

I'll say this about Airbus: they have a smooth quiet ride.

Flew an A320 right after getting off a Boeing 727 and it was like night and day.

by Anonymousreply 105April 13, 2011 1:16 PM

I'd take death by air crash over terminal cancer any day.

by Anonymousreply 106April 13, 2011 1:29 PM

Maybe R105 but remember this plane crashed on it's debut flight. That doesn't instill a lot of confidence. There's the problem of the Airbus computers taking over during a "problem" and the pilot cannot get back control. That's technically what happened to Air France, at least what I got from my engineering family and friends. There was a problem with the piton tubes, which sent false information to the computers, which then took over and the pilots couldn't disengage. Too much technology can be a bad thing sometimes. Maybe they've got it all fixed now though.

by Anonymousreply 107April 13, 2011 1:40 PM

Had a really bad flight from London to Boston. The made us disembark after being on the tarmac and we had to wait 8 hours for another plane due to "mechanical problems." When we got our new plane my sister noticed a rip in the seat next to her and knew immediately that this was the same plane.

Over half way through the flight we hit major turbulence. Plane must of dropped a couple of thousand feet in a matter of minutes. One guy hit his head on the bulkhead. This went on for about ten minutes but finally calmed down. When we landed we were told to brace and we hit the runway so hard all the oxygens masks popped down and worst of all, the metal food trays in the kitchens flew out of the cupboards and skittered down the aisles in the most horrific clatter. When we finally came to a stop there was this almighty cheering!

Luckily we were all drunk cause after the earlier turbulence they started boozing us up.

by Anonymousreply 108April 13, 2011 2:05 PM

You guys would be really scared at shit that's going on in the cockpit that you never hear about. What worries me is when one of the cockpit crew comes down the aisle with a worried look scanning and pressing his ear up against places that are obvious joints in the plane's construction or goes down into the belly. Usually they start serving free booze about that time so you know something is up. This has happened to me a few times.

by Anonymousreply 109April 13, 2011 2:11 PM

R106 - Here, here. There are worst deaths.

by Anonymousreply 110April 13, 2011 2:14 PM

Even more then the gruesome pictures are the cockpit voice recordings. There are many floating around the web.%0D %0D The pilots last words as they realize the plane is crashing. Horrifying shit.%0D %0D %0D Some at the link.%0D %0D

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111April 13, 2011 2:35 PM

Good database of crash info (some pics and voice recordings also)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112April 13, 2011 2:41 PM

Eww, and I thought I was bad with my post on a dead JFK Jr. The voice recordings are too much for me.

by Anonymousreply 113April 13, 2011 4:12 PM

R88's link is interesting -- Jet is (was?) as black magazine and it had the photos not only of Otis being pulled from the plane, but of his still-frozen body on the slab in the morgue.

Not very respectful of the man who replaced Elvis The King at the top of the music industry.

by Anonymousreply 114April 13, 2011 4:26 PM

Wow this is definitely the stuff of nightmares. I can't believe I clicked on that link, even the very small thumbnails were awful. I can't even imagine how bad the recordings are.%0D %0D As for the free booze, I'd never heard that before. Interesting. How exactly did that get announced? Given how stingy they are with food and beverages now it would definitely stand out if they said free anything, let alone booze.

by Anonymousreply 115April 13, 2011 4:58 PM

R115, you can believe when the passengers start getting scared/restless/pissed the airlines would give out free booze just to keep them calmer. Much easier to die a little tipsy. Who knows now though with their service getting so bad.

by Anonymousreply 116April 13, 2011 5:17 PM

We were three quarters of the way across the Atlantic when our captain announced that there was an issue with the aircraft and that we could no longer travel supersonically.

We crawled along at subsonic speeds into JFK and were almost two hours late.

Horrifying.

by Anonymousreply 117April 13, 2011 5:54 PM

Wikipedia's Pam Am Flight 103 page:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118April 13, 2011 7:12 PM

I dunno, I was expecting moar from those black box tapes.

by Anonymousreply 119April 13, 2011 7:32 PM

Wasn't there a movie about zombies on a plane? That would be even more scary than a regular plane crash.

by Anonymousreply 120April 13, 2011 7:51 PM

Were any of the black box recordings from the 9/11 planes ever released?

by Anonymousreply 121April 13, 2011 7:54 PM

I don't remember the black boxes being recovered from the Towers.

I think it's always incredible when people survive plane crashes. The movie with Jeff Bridges and Rosie Perez, Fearless, was great.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122April 13, 2011 8:02 PM

none of them were ever found, as far as I know. Sorry, that is just odd.

by Anonymousreply 123April 13, 2011 8:20 PM

What about vampires? Vampires and zombies, I could see that. And the handsome pilot is a vampire who has to save the plane from the zombies!

by Anonymousreply 124April 13, 2011 8:59 PM

Why is it odd, r123? With a normal plane crash, you're looking through wreckage, and sometimes they aren't found.

In the case of 9/11, the planes basically exploded/disintegrated on impact, and on top of that, the buildings collapsed. It's not at all odd that they couldn't find the black boxes.

by Anonymousreply 125April 13, 2011 9:01 PM

R100 is really awful - all those people who survived and then died of shock/exposure because a helicopter pilot couldn't see any survivors so no one went up to investigate till the next morning. It's amazing that four people did survive.

by Anonymousreply 126April 13, 2011 9:02 PM

All four, R125?

by Anonymousreply 127April 13, 2011 9:11 PM

All commercial aircraft have two indestructible black boxes. And yes, they are really virtually indestructible. It is beyond odd, it is downright suspicious that we have never heard anything from any of the EIGHT black boxes from 9/11.%0D %0D You can damned well bet if the black boxes had any info whatsoever that implicated Muslim hijackers, we'd have heard it 1000 times over. The air traffic controllers also destroyed their recordings of the events of 9/11.%0D %0D The most logical reason for suppressing what should have been ample audio evidence of four separate plane crashes is that the info contained therein does not back up the crazy conspiracy theory that the government and corporate media have been feeding us as the causus belli for their ever-so-profitable and politically expedient "War on Terror."

by Anonymousreply 128April 13, 2011 9:20 PM

"MIT airline safety expert Arnold Barnett did a study on aviation safety and found that the chance of dying on a scheduled flight, from propeller planes to jetliners, in the United States is 1 in 14 million. At that rate, you would have to fly every day for 38,000 years before you had a fatal accident."

by Anonymousreply 129April 13, 2011 9:28 PM

Black boxes are not indestructible.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130April 13, 2011 11:54 PM

I am not a 9/11 conspirist, I just find it weird that none of them were never recovered.

by Anonymousreply 131April 13, 2011 11:57 PM

And yet, one of the highjackers passports managed to find it's way to earth unharmed.

by Anonymousreply 132April 14, 2011 12:06 AM

The stupidity of some DL posters never fails to surprise me. And why do we let these conspiracy nutjobs hijack perfectly interesting threads anyway?

by Anonymousreply 133April 14, 2011 1:12 AM

No conspiracy crap, please!

It's strange, many of these crashed happened when I was a kid but I really only remember the one into the Potomac and Lockerbie. Plane crashes are too scary for a little kid, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 134April 14, 2011 1:18 AM

And how exactly do you prevent a "conspiracy nutjob" from posting?

by Anonymousreply 135April 14, 2011 1:18 AM

R73's link also has photos from Northwest Airlines Flight 255, the plane that crashed upon take-off back in 1987 with only one little girl that survived. (The cockpit recording can be found on R111's link.)

What I also found strange, and quite telling, is that plane went down the same day as The Harmonic Convergence.

by Anonymousreply 136April 14, 2011 1:23 AM

Two of my cousins died on this one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137April 14, 2011 1:27 AM

9-11 was an obvious inside job. How could anyone deny that?

by Anonymousreply 138April 14, 2011 1:31 AM

What are all those yellow tarps?

by Anonymousreply 139April 14, 2011 1:35 AM

Air Crash Investigate (Mayday) is like porn to me. Howdy fellow sickos.

by Anonymousreply 140April 14, 2011 1:36 AM

I love Air Emergency. Don't know why because I'm terrified of crashing everytime I fly.

by Anonymousreply 141April 14, 2011 1:47 AM

The most fascinating episodes are the ones where the pilots were especially skilled, and at least some people survived.

Aloha 243 - top ripped off, pilot's got the plane down but one poor flight attendant got sucked out and had a very unpleasant trip.

Ethiopian 961 - pilot made an ugly landing into the sea (there's video floating around of it) while the plane ran out of fuel and terrorists threatened him.

Air Canada 143 - famous gimli glider landing due to an empty fuel tank

Favorite "Jesus these morons" ones:

Eastern Airlines 401 - this is the one where people were claiming the dead fuckup pilots haunted all the planes that received parts from their wreck. If the ghost of one of these morons tried to warn me, I'd do the opposite. Crashed while they all fussed with a dead light bulb.

Aeroflot 593 - in Soviet Russia, kid pilots you.

Worst ways to go (per your interest in the state of the victims OP):

Southern 242 - they made it down but the burn injuries were awful. One of the most tortuous if you read about the deaths and survivors.

United 811 - I suppose their end was quick, but getting sucked out of the airplane and chopped up in the jet engines doesn't sound like too much fun.

Helios 522 - that poor flight attendant was apparently the only one conscious and trying to handle the "ghost plane" and had a long time to contemplate the brain dead/unconcious people around him before they slammed into a mountain.

Philippine Airlines Flight 434 - terrorist bomb blew away the lower half of a passenger. The crew tried to pretend they were giving him medical aid for the rest of the flight to prevent the rest of the passengers from realizing what happened to the guy.

by Anonymousreply 142April 14, 2011 1:59 AM

I love this thread.

by Anonymousreply 143April 14, 2011 2:11 AM

I had a plane crash nightmare last night thanks to this thread.

by Anonymousreply 144April 14, 2011 2:38 AM

[quote]Black boxes are not indestructible.%0D %0D "Events that would damage the recorders sufficiently to make them unreadable are extremely rare. NTSB spokesperson Ted Lopatkiewicz said that he couldn't recall a domestic case before 9/11/01 in which the recorders were not recovered. The recorders are designed to survive the kinds of impacts that happened at the World Trade Center and the Pentagon." %0D %0D

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145April 14, 2011 2:59 AM

Airplane crash AND cannibalism

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146April 14, 2011 3:10 AM

There is an episode of "Seconds from Disaster" I think (maybe "Nova") about the Tenerife airport disaster which just boggles the mind. The captain of KLM 4805 was a Dutch celebrity, cocky and arrogant, and it was his attitude that caused him to fly into another plane on the runway. His co-pilot kept trying to correct him about whether the other plane had cleared the runway or not, but he got so angry that the co-pilot decided to stop "embarrassing" the captain and let him go ahead.

by Anonymousreply 147April 14, 2011 3:29 AM

I find the mid-air collisions interesting as it requires two planes to be at the same (x,y,z,t) coordinates.%0D %0D Bashkirian-2937 and DHL-611%0D %0D The particularly fascinating backstory associated with this collision is that a man who lost his wife and children in the crash stabbed to death the air traffic controller who was on duty at the time.

by Anonymousreply 148April 14, 2011 3:30 AM

From R73's link, there is one particular photo that is horrifying and yet utterly beautiful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149April 14, 2011 4:17 AM

The January, 2000 Alaskan Airlines Flight 261 crash off the coast of CA is one of the worst I've read about. Air Emergency has an episode on it as well.

From Wikipedia:

"Beginning at 4:19 p.m., the CVR recorded the sounds of at least four distinct "thumps", followed 17 seconds later by an "extremely loud noise". The aircraft rapidly pitched over into a dive. Several aircraft in the vicinity had been alerted by ATC to maintain visual contact with the stricken jet and they immediately contacted the controller. One pilot radioed "that plane has just started to do a big huge plunge"; another reported, "Yes sir, ah, I concur he is, uh, definitely in a nose down, uh, position descending quite rapidly." ATC then tried to contact Alaska 261. The crew of a Skywest airliner reported "He's, uh, definitely out of control" Although the CVR captured the co-pilot saying "Mayday", no radio communications were received from the flight crew during the final event.

The CVR transcript reveals the pilots' continuous attempts for the duration of the dive to regain control of the aircraft. At one point, unable to raise the nose, they attempted to fly the aircraft "upside-down". However the aircraft was beyond recovery; it descended inverted and nose-down about 18,000 feet in 81 seconds, a descent rate exceeding 13,300 feet per minute, before hitting the ocean at high speed. At this time, pilots from aircraft flying in the same area reported in, with one SkyWest Airlines pilot saying, "and he's just hit the water," meaning the plane had crashed into the ocean. Another reported, "Yeah sir, he, uh, he, uh, hit the water, he's, uh, down." Everyone on board died when the plane struck the water, and the aircraft was destroyed upon impact."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150April 14, 2011 4:25 AM

[quote]Helios 522 - that poor flight attendant was apparently the only one conscious and trying to handle the "ghost plane" and had a long time to contemplate the brain dead/unconcious people around him before they slammed into a mountain.

I just saw an ep about this plane crash last week on "Mayday".

The asshole in the ground crew who didn't switch the pressurization to Auto is the ultimate cause of the crash, but several other problems coincided at exactly the wrong times. And if the pilot had answered the question instead of asking another, it would've been fixed and everybody survived!

At least the pilots and passengers were unconscious or dead for nearly all of the crash leadup. But one heroic flight attendant was awake the whole time, trying to land the plane but without the knowledge to check the damn pressurization switch. He probably lived up until the last few seconds of the crash, the poor guy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151April 14, 2011 4:27 AM

[quote] Had a really bad flight from London to Boston. The made us disembark after being on the tarmac and we had to wait 8 hours for another plane due to "mechanical problems." When we got our new plane my sister noticed a rip in the seat next to her and knew immediately that this was the same plane. OMGWTF?!? That's horrible! Did you say anything to the flight crew about the rip?

by Anonymousreply 152April 14, 2011 4:49 AM

[quote] Wasn't there a movie about zombies on a plane? That would be even more scary than a regular plane crash.

R120, I saw a movie with a whole bunch of snakes on a plane. It starred Samuel L. Jackson and that chick from the Clueless tv show [not Alicia Silverstone, but her no-name lookalike].

I can't remember what it was called, though. Does anyone know the film I'm talking about?

by Anonymousreply 153April 14, 2011 4:51 AM

What's a sky waitress going to do about a tear in the seat?

by Anonymousreply 154April 14, 2011 4:53 AM

I remember as a kid/teen seeing the t.v. movie about dead crew members from a fatal plane crash "appearing" on planes. Apparently, this was taken from a true story.

by Anonymousreply 155April 14, 2011 4:55 AM

[quote]The asshole in the ground crew who didn't switch the pressurization to Auto is the ultimate cause of the crash

He might not have flipped it, but I think it's one of the items on the flight check list the pilots go through before take off.

by Anonymousreply 156April 14, 2011 5:29 AM

R155 -- that's Eastern Flight 401. The flight crews finally hired an exorcist to pray the dead crew members into the afterlife.

A few years back, I read a thread on one of the flight disaster forums where the kids of one of the "ghosts" said their dad came back one more time when their mother died.

Flight 401 was once considered part of Bermuda Triangle lore, but they found the wreckage of some of the other flights that disappeared into that area so the triangle has lost its mysticism.

by Anonymousreply 157April 14, 2011 5:32 AM

I don't really want to fly over large stretches of ocean any more now - at least here in the UK I only fly between England and Ireland, 55 minutes in total! I wouldn't want to fly from Brazil to France after the 447 disaster ... what if the same circumstances happened again in another storm or whatever caused it ? It is over two miles deep down there ..... miles from anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 158April 14, 2011 5:43 AM

I watched one of the Seconds From Disaster shows, and I can't remember which particular flight it was (everybody survived) but the captain said the passengers pissed and shit themselves when they thought they were going to die. I've heard this is very common in these types of situations.

by Anonymousreply 159April 14, 2011 5:47 AM

Thank heavens I have no immediate flights booked!

by Anonymousreply 160April 14, 2011 5:47 AM

Hey, bit of trivia gleaned from the same ep of Mayday:

Each of a plane's oxygen masks only has about a 12-minute capacity.

by Anonymousreply 161April 14, 2011 8:14 AM

A survivor! His clothes are a bit tattered though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162April 14, 2011 9:49 AM

A flight attendant survived that crash in R162's post, but was killed after escaping the planes when one of the planes exploded and debris shot through her skull.

by Anonymousreply 163April 14, 2011 10:14 AM

[quote]At that rate, you would have to fly every day for 38,000 years before you had a fatal accident." I have bad luck. I'm sure if I got the courage to fly, the plane would go down. [quote]I love Air Emergency. Don't know why because I'm terrified of crashing everytime I fly. I've always been drawn to this show because of my fear of planes and crashes. The mid-air crash R148 describes was one of the featured episodes and it was horrifying. There was also an episode of a pilot who allowed his kids to take control of the plane and of course it crashed, no survivors. INSANE. How do people who have to deal with the aftermath of crashes ever sleep (or eat) again? There are pics in R73's link that could stop me from eating for good. Oh man, my "Personas" theme on Firefox just changed to an airplane flying over the ocean as I typed this. Yikes.

by Anonymousreply 164April 14, 2011 10:29 AM

We haven't had as many crashes since 9/11 when compared to the decade before that, and then the decade before that.

In the 60s, 70s and 80s, they were dropping all the time, it seems...

by Anonymousreply 165April 14, 2011 4:56 PM

What is the flight path from %0D Brazil to France? Are they over the ocean for long periods of time or do they try and fly up the eastern coast up to Nova Scotia then over? I think airlines try and stay as close to land as they can or am I wrong?

by Anonymousreply 166April 14, 2011 5:01 PM

R73 - how did you figure that out about William Petersen, and also, WTF was he even DOING there?

by Anonymousreply 167April 14, 2011 5:02 PM

The plane crash that killed Patsy Cline and the three men she was flying with was so horrific their remains were carried away in buckets - there were few intact body parts. Members of the search party who found the wreckage were so horrified by what they saw they vomited.

by Anonymousreply 168April 14, 2011 5:40 PM

A survivor's tale from UA 811.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169April 14, 2011 6:52 PM

[quote]What is the flight path from Brazil to France?%0D %0D Check this out. Brazil is much closer to Africa than to Canada.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 170April 14, 2011 6:59 PM

Thanks for that link R169! I will now get nothing done for the rest of the day.

by Anonymousreply 171April 14, 2011 7:39 PM

I'm so glad they may be getting closer to finding the Air France black boxes. I really want to see that one solved.

Other flights that had pitot failures that crashed as a result: Birgenair Flight 301, AeroPeru Flight 603, Northwest Orient Airlines Flight 6231.

Because of the known history of these failures it's surprising to me that people act like Air France is some inexplicable mystery. The pitot tubes were fucked up, and that's been enough to take planes down, never mind in the middle of a storm at night!

See link for video of the Aeroperu story, possibly quite similar to Air France's fate.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172April 14, 2011 11:41 PM

Flying into Reno on a private jet, pilot overshot the runway, had to abort the landing, circle, then make another attempt. I almost shit myself, as did my three companions. I know accidents happen; now I make sure pilots I'm flying with are familiar with the airports I'm flying into, especially in higher elevations.

by Anonymousreply 173April 15, 2011 12:02 AM

My brother was on the forensics team for Flight 800.

He had to go see a shrink for years afterwards as a result of what he saw.

by Anonymousreply 174April 15, 2011 12:49 AM

I have a link to a photo of the dead wife of the man who stabbed that pilot mentioned above...It is HORRIFIC though.

by Anonymousreply 175April 15, 2011 12:56 AM

r166, just give us a link already. Those that don't want to see just won't click.

by Anonymousreply 176April 15, 2011 1:01 AM

R142 "Eastern Airlines 401 - this is the one where people were claiming the dead fuckup pilots haunted all the planes that received parts from their wreck."

This was a good episode on Supernatural, Season 1 or 2, when it was a good tv show

by Anonymousreply 177April 15, 2011 1:20 AM

Im scared to click on r73's link.

by Anonymousreply 178April 15, 2011 2:03 AM

r178, r73's link isn't that bad. The wierdest are some pics of what look like a dead cow or some animal (perhaps a human who was squished out like a huge blob?) but you cannot tell if it is a person or not. Also, some gross bloody "blobs" on the pavement but you cannot tell what the hell they are. The rest is just wreckage and people standing around. There IS a shot of man's hand sticking out from under a tarp.

by Anonymousreply 179April 15, 2011 2:25 AM

That blob is weird. I think it may be a twisted human. butt checks up and in the front the body is twisted beyond belief? or it is a whale.

by Anonymousreply 180April 15, 2011 2:42 AM

Flipped through to a Nova show on PBS once a few years ago about the aftermath of a plane crash in South America.

There were naked body parts hanging from the trees. I couldn't believe they were showing it.

I would never watch that again.

That said, post 911 I was searching for stuff the media wasn't showing, and found a photo of the remains of one of the jumpers. Scary and totally not human looking. Wish I'd never seen it.

by Anonymousreply 181April 15, 2011 3:13 AM

I also came across a pic of a body in the WTC pile. The body was bisected perfectly at the waist and it wasn't burned to badly. What was most notable was the man's face, he just looked like he was sleeping. Almost a look of relief. Much like the pic of Otis @ r27.

I often wonder what kind of closure finding a body or body parts brings to the families in tragedies like these. The need must be very great.

by Anonymousreply 182April 15, 2011 3:40 AM

I saw footage of the WTC jumpers hitting the ground and they literally exploded. It was a big red blast like a tomato.

by Anonymousreply 183April 15, 2011 3:49 AM

Ew! Gurls!

by Anonymousreply 184April 15, 2011 3:51 AM

whoa

by Anonymousreply 185April 15, 2011 3:53 AM

I think what happens is that you have a job to do, you know that these are people and you want recover what you can. But things can get overwhelming.%0D %0D My cousin was a NYFD guy. He cleaned up the WTC and the American Airlines crash in November of 2001 (it was about three blocks from his house). It changed him. My aunt told me that she doesn't know who he is anymore. One day she asked him, X what is wrong with you? His reply was, Ma, I picked up someone's head 2 hours ago.%0D %0D He told me that with the plane crash in Queens, there were many rows of seats in the street with dead passengers still buckled in, but there was a crater of many dead. %0D %0D I think what happens is that if trauma is experienced in doable dosages, and you have that mindset, you get very clinical. You just focus on getting the job done. If you don't have that mindset ot experience it too frequently, you vomit.%0D %0D I've seen and dressed everything from surgeries to a very deep sacral bedsore on a woman who also had a shit bag out of her ass. You just go into a different mode.%0D %0D The only thing that made me almost vomit was an obese women who should have cared for herself but had toenails about 3 inches long, pointing in every direction and so encrusted with dirt that they were essentially black. The thought that I might have to clean them made me almost vomitus. I didn't have to clean them.

by Anonymousreply 186April 15, 2011 4:44 AM

R162 - that crash was one of the worst in history.

by Anonymousreply 187April 15, 2011 9:39 AM

Here is the link of the man's wife who killed that pilot. VERY graphic.

I am not a coroner but I think she was sliced when the other plane's wing tore through the cabin. I don't think this was the result of actually falling and hitting the ground as her body is too in tact...

Again, horrifying photo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 188April 15, 2011 10:39 AM

I'm either demented or, as someone else said, you just 'go into a different mode' - because that pic (you need to click to make it bigger) made me laugh.%0D %0D I felt like I was looking at a cartoon. Her hair, what a fried mess.

by Anonymousreply 189April 15, 2011 11:18 AM

Come, now. We at the DL would never be this twisted, at least:%0D %0D "jaime %0D I've got a hardon looking at it. I would shove my cock in her mouth and then in her arm stump. I bet it feels like a twat with all that juicy stuff." %0D

by Anonymousreply 190April 15, 2011 11:21 AM

Oh R188, that site is awful! I can't stop looking :(

by Anonymousreply 191April 15, 2011 12:06 PM

Oh ok time to stop. I feel fine seeing a body that you can't identify, but those tsunami victim pictures with their before photos are too much! Charonboat.com, wowee.

by Anonymousreply 192April 15, 2011 12:09 PM

[quote]Still strapped to the seats? Can't say, but it was very warm and the sky was so blue that day.%0D %0D by: Barbara Olson %0D %0D %0D The only good thing to come out of 9/11.

by Anonymousreply 193April 15, 2011 12:35 PM

thump

by Anonymousreply 194April 15, 2011 10:00 PM

OMG, r188 , you weren't kidding about the graphic-ness! I waited two days before getting up the nerve to click on that link. At least the Black Dahlia photo is in black & white. This is in total color!

by Anonymousreply 195April 15, 2011 10:59 PM

[quote]Are the victims still buckled in the seats when authorities make their way onto the scene? Yes. And if they're not in their seats when the bodies are located federal regulations require that the bodies be strapped back into the seat they occupied at the time of impact.

by Anonymousreply 196April 15, 2011 11:07 PM

[italic]Floatin' near the dock of the bay . . .

by Anonymousreply 197April 15, 2011 11:10 PM

How come no one travels by zeppelin anymore?

by Anonymousreply 198April 15, 2011 11:25 PM

That's about to change, R198. New airships are on the way from a lot of different companies. Here's one company doing ultracool stuff.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 199April 15, 2011 11:32 PM

Thanks, r199.

by Anonymousreply 200April 15, 2011 11:50 PM

[/italic] A close call in a Piper Cherokee flown by an idiotic boss (almost landed on top of an airliner on the same runway) changed my life forever. NO private planes, ever...commercial flights only if very necessary.

by Anonymousreply 201April 15, 2011 11:53 PM

Can someone describe the pic at r188? Is it bad?

by Anonymousreply 202April 15, 2011 11:54 PM

Something is off about that picture at r188. I doubt that it is real, even though I am no forensics expert!

r202, it basically looks like a wig head.

by Anonymousreply 203April 16, 2011 12:16 AM

[quote]it basically looks like a wig head. No. It looks like a dead person. What do you think happened, the plane crashed into a barber college?

by Anonymousreply 204April 16, 2011 12:30 AM

No I dont, r204/Ms. off her meds Zombie troll. And I said Im not a forensics expert.

by Anonymousreply 205April 16, 2011 12:43 AM

Dead bodies do not look like what we might think they will.

Dead bodies look like dead bodies.

Dead is dead.

by Anonymousreply 206April 16, 2011 12:56 AM

That photo at R88's link of Otis Redding is so macabre. I've never knew pictures of his corpse existed.%0D %0D The man standing over Otis (Dane County coroner Clyde "Bud" Chamberlain) was murdered in 1988 by a nut who gunned him down in the City-County building in Madison, by the way. Just a footnote.

by Anonymousreply 207April 16, 2011 1:00 AM

I'm am terrified to look at the photo that R188 has. Is it awful? I keep hovering over it wanting to click on it.

by Anonymousreply 208April 16, 2011 1:02 AM

R208, it's not bad at all. He looks like a sleeping passenger. Get a pair and click.

by Anonymousreply 209April 16, 2011 1:13 AM

Not r88, r209 - r188.

by Anonymousreply 210April 16, 2011 1:16 AM

r208 it is a woman's head, her face is and hair are fully intact, there is bloody flesh. That why I said it looks like a bloody wig head.

And I looked at the memorial for her and her children who died. Her face in that photo is prettier than the face they painted on the memorial. I would come back from the dead an bitch slap the artist that made that the everlasting painting of me!

by Anonymousreply 211April 16, 2011 1:17 AM

Oh God, why do I click on these threads. I will have nightmares about r188's photo for weeks.

by Anonymousreply 212April 16, 2011 1:39 AM

Ok guys.. just a warning.. I think it is a sicko's site.%0D %0D Raped victims who have been murdered sprawled out.. I don't think this is your average "death" site.

by Anonymousreply 213April 16, 2011 1:45 AM

Maybe it's a serial killer's site. Maybe it's the website of The Resident DL Serial Killer.

by Anonymousreply 214April 16, 2011 2:02 AM

"Raped victims who have been murdered sprawled out.. I don't think this is your average "death" site."

Oh, brother. Thanks for the warning. I can't look at that. I'd buy an Uzi and start mass slaughtering men. I once saw a crime show where they showed several decomposing bodies of rape victims with their underpants around their knees. Took me three weeks before I could speak to men again.

by Anonymousreply 215April 16, 2011 2:58 AM

R179, R180 the "bloody" blob in R73's link looks to me like a human female head lying on its side with the face blown off. You can see the right ear up at the top, the jawline, and the hair toward the back.

by Anonymousreply 216April 16, 2011 3:12 AM

r215, yep, honey, there is something off about that site. Don't go to it.%0D

by Anonymousreply 217April 16, 2011 3:16 AM

Why can't the whole plane be made out of black box material? Hey, explain that to me.

by Anonymousreply 218April 16, 2011 3:30 AM

This thread is useless without the smell of death.

by Anonymousreply 219April 16, 2011 3:42 AM

"I saw a picture of JFK Jr being pulled from the water"%0D %0D No, you didn't. You saw a photo of a bloated male body being pulled from the water, so unrecognizable that it could have been anyone.%0D %0D There are no photos of JFK Jr's body.

by Anonymousreply 220April 16, 2011 3:47 AM

This thread is making me HORNY as hell!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 221April 16, 2011 3:53 AM

moooooaaaarrr!

by Anonymousreply 222April 16, 2011 4:56 AM

This thread is making me HUNGRY as hell!

by Anonymousreply 223April 16, 2011 4:56 AM

bump

by Anonymousreply 224April 16, 2011 4:04 PM

R215, you are on the wrong site. Take your feminazi bullshit somewhere else.

by Anonymousreply 225April 16, 2011 5:30 PM

Falling two miles- and surviving.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 226April 16, 2011 7:02 PM

I wonder if someone still has the plane seat that Redding was sitting in?

by Anonymousreply 227April 16, 2011 7:19 PM

Fixed that for you, R226.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 228April 16, 2011 7:23 PM

This onetime flight attendant holds the Guinness record for the highest fall survived without a parachute.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 229April 16, 2011 7:25 PM

R226, tough broad, even if the author of the article is annoying as hell. I've been in that jungle and it wouldn't be fun at all to be lost there.

by Anonymousreply 230April 16, 2011 7:26 PM

[quote]Falling two miles- and surviving.%0D %0D That accident with the sole survivor (91 of 92 passengers died) was LANSA flight 508. How bizarre is it that more than a year earlier, LANSA flight 502 crashed, also with a sole survivor (91 of 92 passengers died). Both aircraft were Lockheed L-188 Electras.

by Anonymousreply 231April 17, 2011 12:07 AM

Michelle Obama's plane has a close call

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 232April 19, 2011 10:15 PM

I wonder what would have happened if the flight had gone down with all aboard -- probably a field day for Westboro Baptist and all their friends, but many, the fundies with a tiny bit of heart would do 180s, like what happened with so many when Diana died.

by Anonymousreply 233April 20, 2011 3:03 AM

Barack would marry Halle Berry.

by Anonymousreply 234April 20, 2011 1:11 PM

Whats the deal with the air traffic controllers? Why wont they let them have have breaks to sleep. Will it take a mid air disaster for anything to change?!

by Anonymousreply 235April 20, 2011 8:41 PM

R188's picture looks something like this except some meat showing in the shoulder area.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 236April 20, 2011 10:33 PM

lol r236!

by Anonymousreply 237April 20, 2011 11:02 PM

I find it ironic that air traffic controllers are accused of unprofessionalism for falling asleep when they have to work back-to-back shifts in exhausting work conditions. Here's an idea: Let's treat them like humna beings who require proper rest.

by Anonymousreply 238April 20, 2011 11:09 PM

My friends husband is a Paramedic and he attended the scene at Lockerbie after impact. Initially it was search and rescue but he said all he could find in his search field were chunks of bodies, hardly any whole persons. He had to pick them up regardless and document where he found them. He retired shortly after this, owing to nightmares and flashbacks. He's never recovered from the horror of that night.

by Anonymousreply 239April 20, 2011 11:43 PM

r1 is wrong. The striking thing about KAL 007 was the lack of bodies.

by Anonymousreply 240April 21, 2011 12:15 AM

I didn't realize how many Americans were on the KAL 007 flight -- 62.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 241April 21, 2011 12:43 AM

Disclaimer: I am an aviation geek.

R109 is either full of enriched bullshit or the world's luckiest man. Happened a "few" times, did it? I for one don't buy it -- you can't tell where the "joints" are from inside the fuselage, for starters, and it would be unlikely for them to come down the aisle and then go into the "belly". For it to have happened a "few" times takes the unlikely into the sphere of the delusionally improbable. Put the pipe down.

R107: The A320 didn't crash on its debut flight... it crashed at an airshow where it was being shown off to the public for the first time. The computers did indeed malfunction, but Airbus and the French authorities needed a scapegoat so they gussied up the black boxes and sent the pilot to prison for a few years. It's a perfectly safe plane to fly.

R151: The reason there's a 12-minute capacity is that, if masks are needed, the plane also does a steep descent to 10,000 feet or so, which is a level where you don't need supplementary oxygen to keep from passing out and suffocating while sitting down. That descent normally doesn't take but a couple of minutes, so 12 minutes is usually ample.

by Anonymousreply 242April 21, 2011 1:01 AM

bump

by Anonymousreply 243April 23, 2011 4:46 PM

bump for human remains in honor of the resurrection of jesus!

by Anonymousreply 244April 24, 2011 8:25 PM

Something like 95% of plane crashes occur on take off or landing. The rest happen from mechanical failures, hitting mountains they didn't see or hitting other planes in flight.

So stay away from housing near runways.

by Anonymousreply 245April 25, 2011 2:45 PM

When Swiss Air Flight 111 crashed in Nova Scotia after taking off from JFK, I remember watching live footage the showed body parts in the water. They stopped the live feed once they realized what they were showing but I definitely saw a leg bob by in the dark choppy water.

by Anonymousreply 246April 25, 2011 3:16 PM

Bumpity bumpity boo!

Gayle King BUMPus!

by Anonymousreply 247May 1, 2011 2:52 PM

The Air France black box has been found!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 248May 2, 2011 1:46 AM

Now they've found the voice recorder too! Mystery shall be solved soon...

I wonder if this will finally tarnish Airbus's relatively sterling reputation, or if it will end up being all about the pitot tubes.

They're raising the bodies from the sea floor- how creepy must it be for the workers finding all those people in god knows what state, some still strapped in apparently.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 249May 4, 2011 11:14 PM

Plane Crash Troll!

Gayle King BUMP-US!

by Anonymousreply 250May 7, 2011 11:07 PM

It's interesting that the families are divided over what to do with the bodies. I think a lot of them have found closure in idea that they would never be found. It must be traumatizing to go through.

by Anonymousreply 251May 8, 2011 12:36 AM

I really, really want to see what the bodies from Air France 447 look like after being in the water for that long.

by Anonymousreply 252May 8, 2011 12:44 AM

r252:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 253May 8, 2011 12:58 AM

Supposedly the temps would keep them somewhat well preserved and there isnt alot of fishies down that low...

I would think the families would want their loved ones out of the water.

That is a tough situation

by Anonymousreply 254May 8, 2011 12:55 PM

Re: R168 and the Patsy Cline crash--he speaks the truth. All that was left of Patsy was her right arm and the back of her head. Singer Roger Miller was part of the search party and was pretty traumatized by what he found as he personally knew all of the victims--there's a haunting picture of Miller on the mountainside and the look on his face is indescribable.

by Anonymousreply 255May 8, 2011 1:26 PM

ExecuJet gets you there fast, without inconvenience and public scrutiny.

by Anonymousreply 256May 8, 2011 1:39 PM

omg bringing up the bodies through the warmer water causes some decomposition.

It is fucking insane that they found the passengers at all, and that they are well preserved is even more astonishing!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 257May 8, 2011 2:21 PM

Headline from the Patsy Cline crash

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 258May 8, 2011 8:57 PM

"[R215], you are on the wrong site. Take your feminazi bullshit somewhere else."

Blow me, Rush!

by Anonymousreply 259May 8, 2011 9:39 PM

I read a German article about the Air France crash that said that none of the flight attendants seats had bodies in them, the food/drink trolleys weren't stowed so they assume that no one had any idea they were crashing. Bodies in the seats were sliced in half by the seat belts because they hit the water so hard and there was no resistance because no one knew they were going to crash. That freaks me out.. you think everything is normal and then you get sliced in half.. eww..

by Anonymousreply 260May 8, 2011 9:45 PM

Here's the footage from the Patsy Cline crash:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 261May 8, 2011 9:50 PM

r51, I have books about Lockerbie/PA103, amongst other plane-crash books, read all about it at the time, and have not seen any "seated victims in trees" pictures. Did you see these photos in American magazines? Not that I want to see them, but rather, I wonder how I did not.

by Anonymousreply 262May 8, 2011 10:09 PM

r260 thats interesting because after the crash happened it was reported that the passengers were sending out text messages about the violent turbulence and practically saying goodbye to their families. I think they knew what was going on, but the flight attendants were trying to keep cool, most likely by serving drinks!

by Anonymousreply 263May 8, 2011 10:22 PM

263, that is bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 264May 8, 2011 10:34 PM

Believe what you'd like r264. It was all over the news two years ago.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 265May 8, 2011 11:10 PM

[R190] ... will you marry me?

by Anonymousreply 266May 9, 2011 4:24 AM

Always thought this was an interesting photo-

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 267May 9, 2011 10:44 AM

"I have books about Lockerbie/PA103, amongst other plane-crash books, read all about it at the time, and have not seen any "seated victims in trees" pictures."

I actually do remember having seen a photo like that.

by Anonymousreply 268May 9, 2011 1:19 PM

There was a Lockerbie website I saw about ten years ago that had all sorts of photos of victims, most who looked asleep. One young girl ended up on someone's roof, a couple were draped over a wooden fence.

by Anonymousreply 269May 9, 2011 11:44 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 270May 10, 2011 12:02 AM

I also remember seeing a photo of a Lockerbie victim in a tree. It was a woman strapped in her seat.

by Anonymousreply 271May 10, 2011 1:45 AM

Lockerbie - love blooms among the survivors

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 272May 10, 2011 9:22 PM

The data from the Air France recorders could be retrieved by tomorrow!

Or it could take months.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 273May 15, 2011 4:12 PM

The first official black box info from Flight 447 will be release tomorrow, just before second anniversary of the crash!!

The iced pitot tubes apparently caused false readings and major problems with several automated processes. The two copilots were not well trained enough to sort out the multiple system failures, and the captain did not have enough time to correct the stalled plane.

The plane came to a dangerously slow speed at a high altitude. The bottom of the plane was crushed indicating that it literally fell out of the sky and hit the ocean flat.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 274May 27, 2011 12:22 AM

Flight 447 fell at 130mph for 3.5 minutes before hitting the ocean

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 275May 28, 2011 5:06 PM

Why are they burned, and how do they know it's the people in the "before" photos.

NSF the queasy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 276May 28, 2011 5:24 PM

R276, that's a link to victims of a tsunami.

by Anonymousreply 277May 28, 2011 6:36 PM

R274, R275.. I saw a news report on this. An expert said that all the pilots had to do was to set it in full throttle and get the nose to point downwards, not upwards. They had over 3 minutes to do it, so why didn't they do it when they felt the plane was falling? Did they panic? I know the pitot tubes were frozen, but they still should have been able to do something about the problem..

by Anonymousreply 278May 28, 2011 9:34 PM

From the articles, it sounds to my untrained ears that the pilots thought their navigational system was shot and didn't trust the warnings/readings. They may not have been aware of how slow they were before it was too late. Once the plane stalled, there was little they could do.

by Anonymousreply 279May 28, 2011 9:44 PM

It may be similar to what happened to JFK, who was flying at night and therefore couldn't use the horizon to gauge his bearings and wasn't experienced enough. Up in the air, it's a lot harder to figure out or "feel" where you are. I imagine the pilots sometimes have to fight against their instincts and trust the navigational readings. From what I understand the speed readings may have been affected by the iced over pitots but the black box data indicates the rest of the navigational system was working. Sadly, I think this is a case of pilots making the wrong calls at critical moments.

by Anonymousreply 280May 28, 2011 9:52 PM

r278, I thought I read that they were getting false readings from multiple instruments. Several alarms were going off in the cockpit.

There has also been talk from insiders in France that Airbus will try to pin the crash on pilot error in the media, apparently they have a history of doing that. But this looks like a fatal combination of both pilot confusion and equipment failure.

by Anonymousreply 281May 28, 2011 9:54 PM

The two bodies that were brought up will also be able to be identified, so they will continue recovering them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 282May 28, 2011 10:06 PM

That's the hardest part of instrument training -- learning to trust your instruments no matter what. If the airspeed indicator was iced over, I would think the air speed reading was slower than reality. I don't fly jets so I am just surmising that he next lost faith in his altimeter so climbed to get away from the water. When the plane stalled again, he was afraid to keep the nose down for long?

Any jet pilots here? Don't they have training scenarios for this sort of thing?

by Anonymousreply 283May 28, 2011 10:21 PM

I want to see bloated bodies ... and dinasours.

by Anonymousreply 284May 28, 2011 10:40 PM

Gayle King BUMPus!

by Anonymousreply 285May 29, 2011 3:52 PM

Dear op and all the rest of you sick fucks - I hope you die a miserable painful slow death and then have your family members read shit like this about it. I had a close family member die this way and I want to say fuck all of you sick twisted morbid assholes. Rot in hell.

by Anonymousreply 286May 29, 2011 3:59 PM

Huh, R286? We've just discussed the news about the Air France crash, what they have found and how it may have crashed.. what is wrong about that? I haven't been disrespectful to the victims once this thread. Two from my town actually died in the Air France crash..

by Anonymousreply 287May 29, 2011 4:12 PM

Darling dear r286, you really should rethink this whole posting-at-Datalounge thing. We CLEARLY are not the right website for you. %0D %0D I'm sure there is some site about fluffy kitties and casserole recipes you could read...run along and find it.

by Anonymousreply 288May 30, 2011 12:16 AM

r286, your flight is boarding. Hurry!

by Anonymousreply 289May 30, 2011 1:07 AM

My sincerest condolences on the death in your family, r286. That being said, perhaps you should occupy yourself with a site other than DL where everything is up for discussion.

by Anonymousreply 290May 30, 2011 2:14 AM

Google news archives is interesting in that, if you enter "plane crash" and the name of your neighborhood or town, you may be surprised by what has happened there over the decades. Helicopters go down a lot more than you think, as well.

by Anonymousreply 291May 30, 2011 2:09 PM

R286 lacks authenticity, I don't believe you.

by Anonymousreply 292May 30, 2011 2:15 PM

Gayle!

King!

BUMP!

US.

by Anonymousreply 293May 30, 2011 2:22 PM

What condition would the Air France bodies be in after two years in the ocean? Would there be any flesh left or just skeletal remains?

by Anonymousreply 294May 30, 2011 6:06 PM

r294 the wreckage is miles down, so there is no light, heat or fish. They are reportedly well preserved in the cold water, but probably disfigured from the impact. They will also get more damaged when they are lifted out of that environment for several hours.

by Anonymousreply 295May 30, 2011 6:32 PM

From the way Flight 447 crashed, you can bet that most of the victims (and from what I have read, the ones below the surface are still strapped to their seats) have no legs. With that kind of crash most victims were probably bisected at the waist. The belts became knives.

by Anonymousreply 296May 30, 2011 6:42 PM

They have found 75!!! additional bodies from that Air France crash from 2 years ago. That is amazing to me, that those bodies were under the water for two years (alot of them still strapped in their seats)

by Anonymousreply 297June 5, 2011 7:49 PM

What about Flight 175? Would all the passengers have been blown up to bits and "melted" by the hot engine fuel to the point of no recognition? Did they ever recover anything including bodies or other body parts from Flight 175? Someone explain please! %0D %0D A gay guy named Graham Berkeley was in that flight... such a beautiful blond... it's always sad when beautiful people die... %0D

by Anonymousreply 298September 11, 2011 5:33 PM

Good lord 298. You are a creep.

And yes, they were basically in what amounted to a flying bomb. Some body parts flew/exploded onto the streets below, other buildings, ect.. Whatever somehow remained within the building was burnt beyond recognition/vaporized. By the time the buildings fell it was simply dust/bone.

by Anonymousreply 299September 11, 2011 5:41 PM

Hi plane crash death troll/r298!

by Anonymousreply 300September 11, 2011 5:51 PM

We've gotten better at keeping US planes from crashing. When I was a kid in the 60s and 70s, airliners were always going down

by Anonymousreply 301April 28, 2012 12:20 AM

If R301's post hadn't resurrected this thread, I wouldn't have known it existed. Rather macabre, yet uncomfortably fascinating.

by Anonymousreply 302April 28, 2012 5:31 AM

Thanks for bumping this thread...seeing as how I have a flight in less than 24 hours. Jerks.

by Anonymousreply 303April 28, 2012 5:44 AM

R303, exactly. This thread was up last May when I flew to Europe, and now I'm flying again (US flight) in June, and here it is again. Uggh.

Fuckers.

by Anonymousreply 304April 28, 2012 6:02 AM

My sympathies, R303 and R304. Perhaps you should avoid clicking on threads titled "Plane Crashes" when you're going to be flying soon. Mary, both of you.

by Anonymousreply 305April 28, 2012 6:09 AM

MARY, I know. But the title alone gives chills.

by Anonymousreply 306April 28, 2012 6:17 AM

R90 - had an odd experience that was a bit similar -

Was in a QANTAS flight out of Darwin airport several years ago - and as we were taking off, a tyre seemed to burst. I'm told by friends who know such things that this isn't supposedly a big deal - but the plane started slip-sliding back and forth down the wet runway like when you're in a car and the tyres lock and go into a skid - felt like another tyre then went - and we were jacknifing from one side to another. All happened pretty quickly - I looked up to see lots of other faces also looking up - everyone was pale and completely quiet and it happened almost too quickly for anyone to cry, scream, or do anything at all in the way of reaction.

I braced - thinking we were gonna hurl off the end of the runway any moment - and I was sure that there'd be fire. Felt certain the undercarriage would just sink into the boggy wet grass off the runaway and the forward momentum meant we'd continue to go on - snapping the wheels off in the process - ending up on belly and engines - and in a fully fueled up jet ready to take off - that couldn't end well...

I really was certain this would happen - that it was inevitable. BUT as luck would have it - Darwin has one of the longest runways in Australia (apparently!) - and can take really big military planes like Starlifters or whatever they're called - or a space shuttle if need be - so we eventually came to a halt before hitting grass.

No announcement was made - we just sat there like stunned mullets - smell of smoke outside and the noise of sirens from all the emergency trucks heading for us. We eventually were told we'd be returning to the terminal. Which we did - gather we were towed. And we all left the aircraft - all looking a bit frayed around the edges.

Again - no real announcements were made - we waited in the terminal for several hours - and then got back on (I assume) to the same plane. Don't think there was a spare one anywhere around - and wasn't time enough to have flown in a replacement. Just assumed they replaced the tyres and we were good to go.

Given how freaky the whole thing was - what I still can't get over was the lack of any real announcement/explanation - anything! - other than to give us some meal vouchers. I guess the airline was worried about bad press or liability and just wanted to pretend it never happened?

Used to like flying a lot - when I was a kid I had wanted to be a pilot and had even done some gliding - but now - everytime I take off I'm white knuckling it. And if it's a windy day and there's any swaying on the runway - well - let's just say I would rather be anywhere else than onboard...

by Anonymousreply 307April 28, 2012 6:29 AM

[quote]My sympathies, [R303] and [R304]. Perhaps you should avoid clicking on threads titled "Plane Crashes" when you're going to be flying soon. Mary, both of you.

Naw... That would have been too obvious for them. LOL.

by Anonymousreply 308April 28, 2012 6:29 AM

Why were you scared, R307? Qantas never crashed.

by Anonymousreply 309April 28, 2012 6:38 AM

So reading some of the stories ..about how some of the planes crashed and what the experience's for the passengers on board must have been like and bawling my eyes out..I'm a mess .I can't take it.

by Anonymousreply 310April 28, 2012 8:44 AM

[quote]There has also been talk from insiders in France that Airbus will try to pin the crash on pilot error in the media, apparently they have a history of doing that.

Historically, and everywhere, in a crash where the pilot dies, the pilot always gets blamed. It's a bitter fact of the job.

by Anonymousreply 311April 28, 2012 10:45 AM

In the woods atop the hill between Half Moon Bay and the SF Airport, there was wreckage of a BOAC plane that crashed in the 40s. Around 2000, someone posted photos on the web of all the plane sections that were left after the bodies were recovered, and it became a tourist attraction of sorts until authorities stopped allowing people off the hiking trails to pose with wings and such.

by Anonymousreply 312April 28, 2012 3:06 PM

Well R307, had the plane crashed, everyone would be well taken care of with Australia's amazing socialized healthcare system.

So, no worries.

And the link is to R312's post.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 313April 28, 2012 9:31 PM

That Comair crash in 2006 in Kentucky was a real bitch because the plane barely got airborne, crashed into trees with a full fuel load. Many of those poor people burned alive, and many died of blunt force trauma. It wasn't one of those crashes with instant death and complete obliteration. I would think that kind of crash would be a better way to go- instant death.

by Anonymousreply 314April 28, 2012 9:41 PM

This link might have been posted up-thread (and months ago) but it leads to an interesting site:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 315April 29, 2012 1:40 AM

I fell to pieces.

by Anonymousreply 316April 29, 2012 1:56 AM

[quote]>Are the victims still buckled in the seats when authorities make their way onto the scene?

[quote]>>Yes. And if they're not in their seats when the bodies are located federal regulations require that the bodies be strapped back into the seat they occupied at the time of impact.

R196 is just joking, right?

I mean, they don't actually make the mop-up crew re-assemble the bodies into their seats, do they?

by Anonymousreply 317April 29, 2012 5:41 AM

R196 is wrong -- they make note of the person's seat assignment, and the coordinates of where it was found.

That's all.

by Anonymousreply 318April 29, 2012 5:50 AM

This thread is as good a place as any to post yesterday's chilling tale of the young woman in British Columbia whose boyfriend bought her a hang gliding session for her birthday.

It was a tandem glide with a trained expert in the front and the first-time passenger in the rear. Only she slipped out of the glider somehow and fell 1000 feet to her death as witnessed by her stunned boyfriend and family of the glider pilot.

They were still looking for her body at the time this article came out. They found the body later in the day.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 319April 29, 2012 8:30 AM

How to fall 35,000 feet and survive.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 320April 29, 2012 9:02 AM

I remember feeling terrible about the Florida Valujet flight that crashed into the Everglades back in 96. As if it wasn't bad enough to crash and nosedive, any remote chance of survival for the passengers was ruined by crashing into murky, alligator infested swamp. They had to halt the search and rescue mission for the bodies because of the harsh conditions and the gators (Shudder).

by Anonymousreply 321April 29, 2012 9:26 AM

Well 321, The alligators and swamp meant nothing because the plane was shattered in the bedrock and hardly any human remains were found. Also the plane's cabin was on fire by the time it crashed too. THAT must have been terrible, but once it crashed, that was it.

by Anonymousreply 322April 29, 2012 9:56 AM

318 is right. And they will also record where the person's body was found in relationship to the seat. I saw the diagram for that Kentucky Comair crash..

by Anonymousreply 323April 29, 2012 10:01 AM

R20 (although you may be much younger than I am and not remember this crash), wasn't the = UA? crash in - Iowa? in c. 1989 one where there were survivors and at least as pictured in the film "Fearless", it seemed like the knew or had a good feeling they were going to crash...which is, I think, SO horrible.

Not to morbid (or any more morbid than this whole thread.)

by Anonymousreply 324April 29, 2012 10:27 AM

I love tis thread, Im fascinated with planes and crashes albeit Im terrified of flying. Take off is such a nightmare, feeling all of those unnatural forces. I love watching Mayday, and I have also listened to the last words of pilots before crashing...I cried.

I like those noises the planes make to get the pilots attention.

by Anonymousreply 325April 29, 2012 10:34 AM

Yea, I love watching Mayday as well, but it's turned me against flying.

by Anonymousreply 326April 29, 2012 11:11 AM

As long as the plane crashes at more than 200 mph, you won't know it. That's the fastest nerves can transmit impulses. If you crash at faster than that speed, you'll be dead before the brain finds out.

by Anonymousreply 327April 29, 2012 11:41 AM

I know right R326, but in the end I always convince myself to get on that plane to go to that nice exotic location away from here.

Something I disagree with, is when people say that flying is the most safe way of travelling, although statistically true, they dont count in how many people drive cars as opposed to how many people fly planes, if the ratio was more similar, those planes would fall out of the sky all the time. Another thing is how controlled everything about flying is and has to be, all those checks, fixings, nobody does that with cars. You have to study alot and you gotta have alot of experience to fly a plane, to get a drivers license is much easier and yet planes still crash quite often.

Also if you have a car crash it doesnt necessarily mean its a catastrophe with planes not so much.

For my liking too much has to go right when flying, the smallest things can cause that metal tube to fall out of the sky. Like what if some suicidal nutcase feels like opening the door?!? at the wrong altitude and we would all get sucked out.

by Anonymousreply 328April 29, 2012 11:44 AM

327 is right, not to harp on that Comair Crash, but it was going between 120-150 miles per hour, so again- I will take a catastrophic crash any day. The planes that hot the WTC were going 450-500 miles per hour. Swiss Air was over 400 mph. Let it be quick!

by Anonymousreply 329April 29, 2012 1:06 PM

You can't open an airline door midflight because of the pressure imbalance.

And although it's probably true that if there were the same number of planes as there are cars, the crash rate would be about the same, when you think about it, being killed in a car crash is pretty unlikely, too. How many people you have had dealings with in your entire life have been killed in a car crash? Certainly not many.

My most frightening flying experience was on a turboprob, flying into a remote airstrip. There was a lot of smoke haze around - you could see the ground looking straight down, but at an angle you couldn't see through the haze. The pilot flew over the airstrip twice to get his bearings, and then came into land. He misjudged where the runway was by a few hundred metres, and at the last second he swerved sharply to line up the plane with the runway.

There were three passengers - the two women screamed and I remember swearing loudly - but we landed okay. I wouldn't have been surprised if it was somewhat of a close call - the pilot wasn't one to inspire much confidence. He got off the plane just before he started the engine, telling us that he'd forgotten to do something...

I fly quite a bit in single engines, with pilots who look like they are barely old enough to drive cars. I really enjoy flying, but always feel a bit nervous when there's only one pilot. I'd hate for him to pass out or something and I'm stuck there having to work out how to fly the damn thing.

by Anonymousreply 330April 29, 2012 1:35 PM

No kidding, I met this guy when I was a kid. Nicholas Alkemade fell 18,000 feet from a burning Lancaster bomber in WWII and survived. He was forced to make a choice between burning to death in a lancaster bomber, or falling. He survived because he landed on a grove of snow-covered trees. He was almost unhurt. The Germans, when they found him, wanted to shoot him because they figured he was a spy - an Englishman with no parachute. I met him when I was about ten. He told a group of people that falling was 'quite peaceful'. And that he thought, 'if this is dying, it isn't too bad'. It took him about two minutes to hit the ground.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 331April 29, 2012 1:44 PM

It took the Colgan Air crash in Buffalo to reverse the trend of ten year old pilots. Back in the day, most airline pilots were ex-military because they were the only ones who could rack up enough hours to meet FAA requirements for an Air Transport certificate (something like 1500 hours).

With deregulation, the ATP requirement dropped to 250 hours and suddenly, commercial cockpits were filled with kids, as was the Colgan flight -- the captain was this marginal 43 year old who didn't have much experience in the plane he commanded, and his first officer was a 23 year old making $19,000 per year. And neither had had much sleep before the flight because the gal had commuted from Seattle to (I think) North Carolina to start her work day, and the captain had only a few hours nap before he took the controls.

Flying colleges squawked when the requirements were raised since most civilians can't afford all the extra hours now required to get airline jobs, meaning their schools may go out of business. Not only do captains have to have (I think) 2500 hours now, so do first officers.

by Anonymousreply 332April 29, 2012 1:49 PM

God 332, I read alot on that Colgan/Continental crash in Buffalo and that captain sounded like an idiot. (God bless the guy, but still)..

by Anonymousreply 333April 29, 2012 2:09 PM

I'm not thrilled with a 23 year man flying a plan. They are too "King of the World" hormonal.

by Anonymousreply 334April 29, 2012 3:05 PM

R286 has a legitimate point.

One time, I was taking a tram up a mountain, and a fellow passenger asked about a plane crash that had occurred decades earlier. The operator reluctantly pointed out the wreckage that had remained because of the difficulty retrieving it; however, he said they were prohibited from pointing it out as part of the official tour. It appears that a relative of one of the victims had been on the tram when the wreckage was pointed out, and they were highly upset.

by Anonymousreply 335April 29, 2012 3:13 PM

Is that the Sandia Tram? TWA wreckage sat out on that ledge for years, but I think they decided to move it out of sight of the tram.

Maybe because of such complaints...

by Anonymousreply 336April 29, 2012 3:32 PM

Vesna Vulovic was a Yugoslav Airlines flight attendant who fell more than 33,000 feet and survived in 1972 after a terrorist bomb exploded aboard the plane she was working on. She was left paralyzed from the waist down but eventually walked again. She was reassigned to a desk job for the airline but was fired in 1990 for speaking out against Slobodan Milosevic.

by Anonymousreply 337April 29, 2012 4:02 PM

I agree with R334. WAY too much "boy" in a 23 year old "man" still.

We've all seen those speed demons on the road.

by Anonymousreply 338April 29, 2012 4:55 PM

R286 is an idiot.

If you had a family member die in a plane crash, then you shouldn't read a DL thread about plane crashes!

You KNOW it's going to be unpleasant and probably offensive, just like every single other thread on this site ;)

Btw, R330 said "How many people you have had dealings with in your entire life have been killed in a car crash?" and my sis-in-law's parents were killed in a head-on collision 3 years ago. Do you see me screaming at R330, calling him a heartless bastard for bringing up that sensitive topic? No, because that's the nature of public forums!

R2896 can fuck off and die (in a plane crash), for all I care. You don't like it, don't read it!

by Anonymousreply 339April 30, 2012 5:36 AM

R334 - One of the charter flight routes I had to take had two options. One was a plane flown by older missionary pilots, and the other was a commercial operation piloted by young kids getting their hours up.

I often wondered who I'd prefer in the cockpit if something went wrong - the older guy with experience (and a strong faith in the afterlife), or the nineteen-year-old novice.

I chose the young pilot, figuring he'd be pretty desperate to live if something went wrong. With a plane in turmoil, I don't want the pilot distracted by praying.

by Anonymousreply 340April 30, 2012 6:14 AM

[quote]being killed in a car crash is pretty unlikely, too.

On average, 115 people die in automobile collisions in the US each day. One every 13 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 341April 30, 2012 6:34 AM

I never drink alcohol on a plane in case the plane crashes, I want to be fully alert.

by Anonymousreply 342May 1, 2012 10:36 AM

I love this thread. Its better than porn.

by Anonymousreply 343May 1, 2012 10:43 AM

R343 me too....me too. I will be definately thinking about this thread next time I sit in a plane, cursing the day I decided to go on a vacation again. Does anyone have any advice for being afraid of flying? I fucking hate the take off Im just shit scared.

by Anonymousreply 344May 1, 2012 10:58 AM

Weather:

SPECI KCQT 011324Z AUTO 00000KT 10SM BKN009 OVC026 14/13 A2991 RMK AO2 CIG 005V013 TSNO

(Good Flying)

Good blog about flying by an airline pilot:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 345May 1, 2012 2:09 PM

R344, I used to be afraid of flying, but just started looking around me. Dozens and dozens of planes, all the time, landing and taking off, and that's just in my field of vision. Meanwhile, the occasional crash is so rare.

I've read you have to fly every day for 400 years on an American carrier to be in an accident, and not necessarily a fatal one.

by Anonymousreply 346May 1, 2012 2:41 PM

Just read the CVR transcript of ValuJet flight 592. Truly shocking.

In-flight cocktails were only $3 in 1996.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 347May 2, 2012 8:50 AM

I had a dream last night with the severed head and I hadn't even opened that link at r188!

by Anonymousreply 348May 2, 2012 10:48 AM

Would someone just embed the pic at R188's link so that R348 can stop wondering?

by Anonymousreply 349May 2, 2012 4:15 PM

The thing that bothers me about plane crashes is that as a passenger, there's nothing you can possibly do about it.

by Anonymousreply 350May 2, 2012 5:23 PM

This plane was fine until a man with a gun walked into the cockpit:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 351May 3, 2012 2:30 AM

This plane was fine until somebody detonated a bomb:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 352May 3, 2012 2:46 AM

OP brings up a valid point. The solution, of course, is to design seatbelts that release upon impact. Also, in the event of a smooth landing into the water, they could be biodegradable, so that they'd dissolve by the time the plane was located.

by Anonymousreply 353May 3, 2012 2:51 AM

Here's an extensive write up about Air France 447 that crashed into the Atlantic Ocean on June 1 2009.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 354May 3, 2012 2:58 AM

They recovered 104 additional Air France bodies from the ocean floor two years later, an amazing feat

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 355May 3, 2012 3:03 AM

R345, none of the links on the left are working :(

by Anonymousreply 356May 3, 2012 3:14 AM

Thanks, [345], that blog is great.

by Anonymousreply 357May 3, 2012 3:25 AM

Are the links to the left working for you R357?

by Anonymousreply 358May 3, 2012 3:35 AM

r356, I didn't notice until after that the links were all send us back to the front page of the blogs -- is Salon turning into a pay site again?

by Anonymousreply 359May 3, 2012 3:38 AM

It's disappointing, because the articles posted to the left are the ones I really want to read. Crap.

by Anonymousreply 360May 3, 2012 3:44 AM

I like watching Mayday videos when I fly. Makes the flight go by so quickly. My seatmates look at me like I'm a weirdo, though.

by Anonymousreply 361May 3, 2012 4:20 AM

I had various encounters of friends and friends of my family who had near airplane crash experiences.

My dad's wife's niece in 1984 was flying back from Mexico to California. My dad was waiting to pick her up at the airport when he got the news that the flight that she was supposed to be on, a 747 from the same airport in Mexico, crashed in a suburb in an LA suburb along with another plane, which both planes collided. As a result, people were killed on ground, and homes were destroyed and of course everyone in both planes were dead. One neighborhood was totally destroyed. My dad's wife and my dad, thought the niece was dead thinking at the time she was on that plane that crashed. I remember in the news that people living some streets near that neighborhood where the planes crashed, looked out their windows and saw body parts plopping in their yards, on their door steps, front yards, and they heard loud thumps on their roof tops from bodies landing on them. I remember someone was driving, and had their passenger window open and an arm landed on the front seat. Another body part dropped on the front window of another diver. It was extremely sickening and horrifying. My niece made it back safely and she was supposed t take that very flight, but she missed it because she was late at the airport so had to take another plane.

My brother had a friend who was a very sweet man. He traveled a lot and he was a businessman. He was waiting to aboard his plane, and he was playing with some kids and conversing with various passengers waiting to board their plane across from his at the airport. When it was his time to board his plane, he wished everyone a warm good bye. ALL of the passengers on that other plane were killed in the crash.

My brother had another friend who was ready to board the Air Alaska plane that R150 mentioned, but there was last miniature scheduling planes and he just missed it. He said he was close to death and he was in total shock. He could have been dead.

I went to Europe with my brother and we took the same route with Pan Am a week before the Locker Bee crash. My brother and I on the same trip took British Airways and Air France. When were on Air France, I swear I was so scarred that I thought I was going to pee in my pants. We were going through a storm and the airplane was dropping dramatically. The stewardesses looked concerned and frighten. I thought that were going to die. You just had to be there to know what the experience was like. After a long period of fear, we made it safely to the airport. They gave everyone large bottles of wine.

BTW, my sister's friend used to be a stewardess for Air France and she said they used to call it, Air Chance because their flight record was horrible that is why she quit. Also, I spoke to this guy who used to work for the mechanics department for various airplanes, and he said when an airline is loosing money and laying off people, stay away from them because mechanical safety and everything else goes down the tubes.

For some reason, mainly the 1990's were a very bad time for aviation, and there were a lot of airplane crashes.

BTW, about 9/11 and the black box, I thought it has been reported that the cockpit from one of the planes that crashed in one of the towers was found intact and one of the terrorists was found dead in the cockpit. So, I fought for sure they found one of the black boxes.

My dad said he vaguely remembers in the late 60's there was a plane that crashed in downtown New York as a result of a little kid using a transistor radio on board when he wasn't supposed to. Does anyone know about that crash?

Also, I want to mention one of the most horrifying airplane crashes that comes to mind is the Value Jet crash in the Florida swamp loaded with alligators, pythons, etc. They never found the cockpit because it hit the mud so hard that it went extremely deep with in the mud, and there was no way they could pull it out of the swamp. I remember they had to fight off the alligators. Also, another Value Jet that crashed in South America in a region of the sea that is shark infested. The plane contained all Germans flying back to Germany. They all died on the plane of course.

by Anonymousreply 362May 3, 2012 7:36 AM

R362, are you drunk? Your post is as inaccurate as you are inarticulate.

by Anonymousreply 363May 3, 2012 10:15 AM

I think English is not r362's first language (how many languages do YOU understand, let alone speak and/or write, r363?)

by Anonymousreply 364May 3, 2012 10:45 AM

Oh, hush up R363. It's fine given the late hour and depressing subject matter.

by Anonymousreply 365May 3, 2012 10:54 AM

Prince William of Gloucester (William Henry Andrew Frederick; 18 December 1941 - 28 August 1972) was a member of the British Royal Family, a grandson of George V.

A Cambridge graduate, he joined the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, serving in Lagos and Tokyo, before returning to take over Royal duties. At this time, he was diagnosed with porphyria, probably hereditary, but died at thirty in an air-crash, while piloting his plane in a competition.

=========================

A licensed pilot, Prince William owned several aircraft and competed in amateur air show races. In August 1972 he was competing in the Goodyear International Air Trophy at Halfpenny Green, near Wolverhampton, with Vyrell Mitchell -- a pilot whom the prince had often raced with -- listed as a passenger. Shortly after their low-level take-off, the Piper Cherokee banked abruptly to port, with an extreme increase in the rate of turn and corresponding loss of height: the wing hit a tree and sheared off and the out-of-control plane inverted and crashed into an earthen bank, bursting into flames. Prince William and Mitchell were killed. Prince William was buried in the Royal Burial Ground, Frogmore. The comprehensive school in Oundle, which he opened in 1971, was renamed Prince William School in his memory.

Prince William was the heir-apparent of his father's peerages, Duke of Gloucester, Earl of Ulster, and Baron Culloden. Upon his death, his younger brother Prince Richard of Gloucester became heir-apparent and succeeded to these peerages in 1974. Prince William was the first grandchild of George V and Queen Mary to die.

He shared a close relationship with the Prince Charles, Prince of Wales, his 7-years younger first cousin once removed. The Prince of Wales named his 1982-born first son, Prince William, Duke of Cambridge, after him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 366May 3, 2012 12:55 PM

Maybe slightly off topic, but an interesting article on an amazingly well preserved WWII aircraft that was just discovered in the Sahara Desert:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 367May 3, 2012 1:23 PM

Good lord 362! I bow to thee!!!

By the way, the first crash and your niece was 1986. It was the Cerritos crash..

The second crash with your businessman friend- when was this? What crash was this? That would haunt me forever. Very sad.

The Valujet crash wasn't so much about mud as the plane was absolutely disintegrated.

Two other horrific crashes- please google people, some very interesting details-

The Swissair crash, to me one of the most horrific due to the fire on board. The impact was so tremendous that the main forensic/cornoer guy said that the bodies were basically degloved- the skin was torn off and the bodies obliterated. In an Esquire article (still on line) there were human hearts floating on the surface of the water.

American Eagle crash in Indiana on 10/31/94- ANother one where everyone was obliterated. Really issue with a non sterile cockpit, meaning the captain was in the back of the plane flirting with the stewardesses and was real yapper. Rap music was being played, ect.. THis you have to research thoroughly to find it has it was not made very public- do not ask me how. This crash was horrific.

by Anonymousreply 368May 3, 2012 9:58 PM

When you get a gut feeling not get on a flight do you listen too it? I did. Twice. Nothing happened to the plane but I followed my gut. It was just a strong feeling and I followed it.

When I was little we had a plane crash on our property. It was a little twin engine plane. We lived on about 300 acres and the pilot was apparently trying to land in one of the pastures. The boom was unbelievably loud. So I can only imagine the sound a large plane would make. The plane hit nothing but the ground but it looked like it had gone through a paper shredder.

by Anonymousreply 369May 3, 2012 10:29 PM

Thanks, r18. It's been a long time since I've hears that urban legend. I'm sure it will satiate the plane crash troll for a while.

by Anonymousreply 370May 3, 2012 10:49 PM

My parents were in Tenerife, and were on the plane that took off before the KLM crash. Initially, my family thought they'd been killed.

by Anonymousreply 371May 3, 2012 11:02 PM

For some odd reason, this thread is always bumped whenever I'm within 12 hours of flying. I'm on a plane now....hopefully UA 939 doesn't end up dominating the news tonight :(

Why do people here have to be do morbid?

by Anonymousreply 372May 3, 2012 11:15 PM

Were you, a loved one, a friend or an acquaintance hurt, killed, upset or inconvenienced by the tragedy of Wayfarer 515? Did debris or body parts hit you, your home, your car or your place of business?

Better call Saul!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 373May 3, 2012 11:17 PM

[quote]I'm on a plane now....hopefully UA 939 doesn't end up dominating the news tonight :(

Look at the bright side, R372. If the flight crashes, you're a lock for W&W!

by Anonymousreply 374May 3, 2012 11:30 PM

R372, worry not, I'll start the "What was on R372 from the Plane Crash thread's iPod".

by Anonymousreply 375May 3, 2012 11:46 PM

If r362 isn't drunk, he is retarded. It's obvious he is American. His family lives in LA. He claims to have taken a flight from the US to visit Europe a week before the "Locker Bee" crash. That crash happened In 1988. Evn if he wasn't born in the US, he's been here for almost 25 years and should have a decent grasp of the language by now. If r362 isn't drunk, he is retarded. It's obvious he is American. His family lives in LA. He claims to have taken a flight from the US to visit Europe a week before the "Locker Bee" crash. That crash happened In 1988. Evn if he wasn't born in the US, he's been here for almost 25 years and should have a decent grasp of the language by now.

Honestly, some of you people need to take a few courses in deductive reasoning.

And no plane crashed in downtown NY in the late 1960s. R362's father proves low intellect can be familial. Two planes collided over NY in 1960. One landed in Staten Island and one landed in Park Slope. To believe that the crash had anything to do with a kid playing with a transistor radio aboard the aircraft is the depth of stupidity.

And there were no reports of "the cockpit from one of the planes that crashed in one of the towers was found intact and one of the terrorists was found dead in the cockpit" from 9/11.

You people who believed the nearly unintelligible crap that r362 spewed out are as retarded as he is.

by Anonymousreply 376May 3, 2012 11:47 PM

R372 arrived safely in Denver, in fact, he was 13 minutes early.

Of course whether or not he was dragged into the secret tunnels under DIA and never heard from again, well that's a subject for another thread.

by Anonymousreply 377May 4, 2012 2:50 AM

R377 is right...fortunately! I know flying is probably the safest way to travel, but dying in a plane crash seems like one of the scariest ways to go.

by Anonymousreply 378May 4, 2012 3:30 AM

I've always been fascinated by the investigation into the series of Comet jet crashes in the 50's. The Comet was the first jet passenger liner, with an incredibly cool and advanced British design (see pic). It introduced many modern features of jet travel, such as a completely pressurized cabin.

However, the jets just started to fall out the sky for no obvious reason. One of the mysteries was that many passengers had died of broken necks long before the planes hit the ground.

Turns out the corners of the new, large rectangular passenger windows caused excessive metal fatigue, causing cracks that suddenly migrated up to the roof, cracking open the top of the plane. The explosive decompression sucked passsengers out of their seats and banged their heads on the ceiling with such force it broke their necks.

This is why all modern aircraft now have rounded windows.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 379May 4, 2012 6:11 AM

This thread is very interesting and then these three thugs R363,364,376, ruin it!!! You three are the shittiest miserable bitches around. IF you three have partners, it is a miracle and you three would set world records for being the nastiest assholes able to have a partner to live under the same roof with you three for any length of time WITHOUT COMMITTING SUICIDE!!

In 1988, I was just a kid and I went to England, France, and Spain with my brother. When we flew back to the United States, we took the same route as the Locker Bee flight, and we too took Pan Am just a week before the Locker Bee explosion.

My stepmother's niece, so?!! I was off by too years! That was a long time ago and I forgotten the very year.I just remember that she was supposed to be on that plane and she missed it. Also, I remember the horrible after math of that crash.

My brother is in business and he has many friends who are in business who have traveled and who travel, DUH!!

Another thing, if some people don't believe the things I have stated, I really don't give a major rat's ass!! I have nothing to gain monetary or any other way what I have stated. I was trying to contribute what I have encountered in my life relating to OP's topic. So sorry I wasted my time saying anything!! screw this!

by Anonymousreply 380May 4, 2012 6:56 AM

R380, just stop writing Locker Bee, at least. Please.

by Anonymousreply 381May 4, 2012 7:16 AM

[quote]I was off by too years!

Wow

by Anonymousreply 382May 4, 2012 7:42 AM

380- DON"T GO! WE WANT MORE DETAILS! Don't let them drive you outta here. That's for suckers!

Granted, your spelling/grammar is atrocious, but you had me at hello!

YOU HAD ME AT HELLO!!!

Now give us more details.

I am the one who corrected your date from 1984 to 1986- I do think you are genuine, we all fuck up dates..

by Anonymousreply 383May 4, 2012 9:04 AM

lol R380

by Anonymousreply 384May 4, 2012 12:12 PM

I'm not letting this thread die again because of the haters!

by Anonymousreply 385May 4, 2012 9:30 PM

I learned of a new crash last night- 1987 South African Flight 295. Another horrible way to go. Good lord.

by Anonymousreply 386May 6, 2012 11:53 AM

Today is the 75th anniversary of the Hindenburg disaster.

Amazingly, over half the people on board survived.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 387May 6, 2012 1:27 PM

I remember a few years ago I think it was.. a South African plane on its way to Europe (The Neterhlands?), crashed, and all of the passengers died.. except for one little boy. His parents died in the crash, so he was taken care of by his grand parents. Can you even imagine... being the only one to survive a plane crash? horrible!

by Anonymousreply 388May 6, 2012 1:34 PM

That happened here in the States, too, r388 -- back in 1987. Northwest Airlines Flight 255 went down into Romulus on the day of the Harmonic Convergence:

Passenger injuries and fatalities

The lone survivor of the aircraft was four-year-old Cecelia Cichan of Tempe, Arizona.[2] Cecelia Cichan's mother, Paula Cichan, died in the crash, along with her father, Michael, and her 6-year-old brother, David. After the crash, Cecelia Cichan lived with relatives in Birmingham, Alabama, who shielded her from public attention.[3]

One of the passengers on Northwest 255 who died was Nick Vanos, a center for the Phoenix Suns basketball team. Two motorists on nearby Middlebelt Road were also killed. Five other persons on the ground were injured, one seriously. Fatalities were moved to a hangar at the airport functioning as a temporary morgue.

Twenty-nine passengers on board Flight 255 were under the age of 20. The youngest was 4-month-old Katelyn Best, of Mesa, Arizona. Two 12-year-olds flying alone also died in the crash. Arlene Nelson, age 12, was from Detroit and Justin Keener, also 12, was from Scottsdale, Arizona.

Out of all the 154 people on board Flight 255, 110 were from Arizona. Most were residents of Phoenix or its surrounding areas. 18 people on the plane were residents of Michigan.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 389May 6, 2012 1:53 PM

I dont know what most interesting about this thread, the unfortunate details of how these planes went down, or Plane Crash Trollette Gayette's OCD.

Plane Crash Trollette Gayette, are you single?

by Anonymousreply 390May 6, 2012 2:01 PM

Thanks for that info, R389.

I was curious about the plane crash in my post.. so I did a little research, and the plane I was thinking about wasn't going to Europe.. it was going to Libya. The crash happened two years ago, and I did remember right.. only one Dutch boy survived the crash.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 391May 6, 2012 2:05 PM

Plane Crash Trollette Gayette is dating a slightly younger guy:) (He is 29 I am 36)

I have a real phobia about planes and have been obsessed with researching crashes for a long time. I cannot wrap my head around what it must be like to be in one- or the fact that one minute you are a living breathing human being and a second later you can be in pieces- or even vaporized.

I am not the original Plane Crash Troll, I think there are 3-4 of us.

by Anonymousreply 392May 6, 2012 2:09 PM

If you crash in Pennsylvania, don't worry about it...not even an ounce of flesh will be found.

by Anonymousreply 393May 6, 2012 2:13 PM

More along the line of company crashes, and the reason we hate airline corporations, but:

The frequent fliers who flew too much

Many years after selling lifetime passes for unlimited first-class travel, American Airlines began scrutinizing the costs — and the customers.

May 5, 2012, 6:14 p.m.

There are frequent fliers, and then there are people like Steven Rothstein and Jacques Vroom.

Both men bought tickets that gave them unlimited first-class travel for life on American Airlines. It was almost like owning a fleet of private jets.

Passes in hand, Rothstein and Vroom flew for business. They flew for pleasure. They flew just because they liked being on planes. They bypassed long lines, booked backup itineraries in case the weather turned, and never worried about cancellation fees. Flight crews memorized their names and favorite meals.

Each had paid American more than $350,000 for an unlimited AAirpass and a companion ticket that allowed them to take someone along on their adventures. Both agree it was the best purchase they ever made, one that completely redefined their lives.

In the 2009 film "Up in the Air," the loyal American business traveler played by George Clooney was showered with attention after attaining 10 million frequent flier miles.

Rothstein and Vroom were not impressed.

"I can't even remember when I cracked 10 million," said Vroom, 67, a big, amiable Texan, who at last count had logged nearly four times as many. Rothstein, 61, has notched more than 30 million miles.

But all the miles they and 64 other unlimited AAirpass holders racked up went far beyond what American had expected. As its finances began deteriorating a few years ago, the carrier took a hard look at the AAirpass program.

Heavy users, including Vroom and Rothstein, were costing it millions of dollars in revenue, the airline concluded.

The AAirpass system had rules. A special "revenue integrity unit" was assigned to find out whether any of these rules had been broken, and whether the passes that were now such a drag on profits could be revoked.

Rothstein, Vroom and other AAirpass holders had long been treated like royalty. Now they were targets of an investigation.

Full story:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 394May 6, 2012 7:30 PM

[quote]Today is the 75th anniversary of the Hindenburg disaster.

Oh, the humanity.

by Anonymousreply 395May 6, 2012 8:10 PM

I must say that flying must be safe because I don't know anyone- friend of a friend of a friend.. who has died in a plane crash

by Anonymousreply 396May 12, 2012 12:04 PM

Exactly, R396. I don't know anyone, either, and I don't travel far, so I almost never get on an airplane. It's been 6 years now since the last time.

But I've known people (some acquaintances, others random people I've kinda known) who have died in car accidents. That's one of my fears -- to die in a horrific car crash! Not necessarily in an interstate pile-up 'cause it can also be something random. Like two winters ago, I was driving to my sister's and I was almost there when I turned into her street which sorta slopes down, and as I was slowly nearing her house, my tires hit some black ice, but no matter how hard I tried to press on the breaks, my car just continue to slide sideways, gaining speed, until is sideswiped a telephone pole. Apart from being shaken and some minor whiplash later, I was fine. But the car's right side rear was totaled. I was so paranoid to drive for a week after that. Later, I learned that something similar happened to a teenage brother and sister in my state -- their car slipped on some ice and they crashed into a telephone pole, but head-on so I think that's what made the difference. Scary just to think about how different the outcome would've been had I hit some other way.

I also get extremely nervous when I come to an intersection and I have the green light 'cause I've read of stories where someone runs the red light and T-bones the person who has the right of way. I always hold my breath. That's why I never tell people "Drive safely" 'cause no matter how cautious you are, some idiot may not be and you may end up paying the ultimate price. Instead, I now say "Have a safe drive."

My biggest fear is having a horrific, violent death, like being all mangled and unrecognizable -- or worse, living through it, but being disfigured or limbless or brain-damaged.

by Anonymousreply 397May 12, 2012 12:59 PM

When Pilots Go Bad --

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 398May 12, 2012 8:22 PM

The Environment Canada forecast for September 11 called for sunny skies and seasonably mild temperatures.

A labour dispute between the Government of Canada and the Public Service Alliance of Canada (PSAC) had been simmering since July. PSAC called a one-day national strike for the 11th. In downtown Ottawa, Transport Canada was an obvious location for strike action. Tower C of Place de Ville is the head office for Transport Canada and home to thousands of employees. It also happens to be the tallest building in Ottawa. Union members encircled Tower C with a picket line.

The planned PSAC strike action brought François Marion and his team of staff relations and other human resources managers to Tower C early that morning, around 5:30 a.m. They met to finalize plans for the day ahead. There were ongoing discussions with the union about issues that had arisen, including the entry of employees into the building. "Everything was going well until about 7:30 or 8 o'clock," Marion says. "Then the picket line hardened and people started having trouble entering the building." Place de Ville, Tower C

Place de Ville, Tower C

Anticipating the strike, some Transport Canada staff made a point of getting to work early. People like Jean LeCours, Director of Preventive Security, and Jean Barrette, Director of Security Operations, who was busy poring over a report of a bomb threat at an airport the night before.

Merrill Smith was beginning his second day of on-the-job training in the Communications Group. A veteran of more than 20 years at Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada, Smith had been told that he would find Transport Canada a relatively quiet place where things ran pretty smoothly and he shouldn't expect any overtime. The irony of that advice would soon become dramatically clear in the long days and weeks ahead.

Diana MacTier, a regional Employee Assistance Program counsellor with Transport Canada, was busy getting ready to hold an information session to promote a six-week employee course entitled "Preventing Burnout."

The strike disrupted operations at Transport Canada but it did not completely bring them to a standstill.

Transport Minister David Collenette was in Montreal, delivering a speech to a conference of airport executives from around the world. Then Deputy Minister, Margaret Bloodworth, was one block away from Tower C, at meetings at Industry Canada. Then Associate Deputy Minister, Louis Ranger, was in Montreal with the Minister. The Assistant Deputy Minister for Safety and Security, Bill Elliott, was at a conference in Beijing. A group of Civil Aviation managers was at meetings in Edmonton. And Julie Mah, then Manager, Policy & Consultation, Explosives Detection Systems (EDS) Project, was beginning her day just over an hour's drive east of Ottawa, in Rigaud, Quebec, where she was participating in a management course.

This air of relative normalcy was punctured at 8:45 a.m., when American Airlines Flight 11 slammed into the North Tower of the World Trade Center in New York. Eighteen minutes later, a second passenger plane, United Airlines Flight 175, struck the South Tower of the World Trade Center. Two staff relations advisors, Pat McCauley and Eric Daoust, were monitoring the strike from the Situation Centre on the 14th floor. They stared in stunned disbelief at the live pictures being flashed across two giant television screens of the second plane knifing through the South Tower. "You knew that the second plane was not a replay and it wasn't a movie, although it could have been," Lyne Landriault, Chief, Staff Relations, recalled later. "We realized then that what had been the obsession of our work lives for quite some time [the labour dispute] suddenly… seemed inconsequential."

The horrible news spread with lightning speed through Tower C down to the concourse below and the picketers. Once union leaders and members understood the magnitude of the events, they were also obviously shaken. Without hesitation, they immediately stopped the picket lines and went back to work to offer whatever assistance was necessary.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 399May 13, 2012 2:36 AM

Today, we've had a passel of vintage war birds fly over. Usually we are pretty clear of most air traffic (save for police helicopters) but these planes are taking a shortcut to Dodger stadium.

All sound mechanically fit, but the animals go nuts with worry whenever another passes overhead.

by Anonymousreply 400May 28, 2012 6:09 PM

"Really issue with a non sterile cockpit, meaning the captain was in the back of the plane flirting with the stewardesses and was real yapper. Rap music was being played, ect."

Grammar aside, this made me laugh!

by Anonymousreply 401May 28, 2012 6:43 PM

401, It is TRUE though. I apologize for my horrible grammar) Thanks for giving this thread a 450 mph BUMP into the cold hard earth!

by Anonymousreply 402May 28, 2012 6:56 PM

Thanks for bumping this thread after my flight landed.

by Anonymousreply 403May 28, 2012 7:34 PM

We're going down MARYS!

by Anonymousreply 404May 28, 2012 7:48 PM

hey can anyone cut ad paste the plane crash passage from Glamorama, by Brett Easton Ellis? its the most hideously vivid recountuing of what would transpire in a major air disaster. Vomit inducing and not fun to read while flying...which I unfortunately did.

by Anonymousreply 405May 28, 2012 7:56 PM

R405 - not a passage, but it may be seen at a movie theater near you!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 406May 29, 2012 1:00 PM

by Anonymousreply 407June 1, 2012 7:52 PM

by Anonymousreply 408June 1, 2012 8:09 PM

The NTSB today released a report on a crash we had a year or two ago in Long Beach. The poor guys killed could have been frm the movie Sideways, and what did them in was too much luggage.

Lately (in the past ten years or so) that seems to have been the cause of many crashes -- too much luggage...

by Anonymousreply 409June 1, 2012 8:24 PM

Plane Crash Death Troll is also Zombie Troll. I know he is somewhere jizzing himself over the recent zombie uprisings.

by Anonymousreply 410June 1, 2012 10:42 PM

Yesterday was the third anniversary of the Air France 447 crash.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 411June 2, 2012 12:31 PM

And a firm BUMP into earth ripping our bodies limb from limb leaving nothing but viscera and torn flesh!

BUMP!

by Anonymousreply 412June 2, 2012 3:25 PM

Hey R412 -- how about the retired flight attendant who would often grow bored with the leisure life until she remembered that the last people saw of her would no longer be her kidney skewed on a car antenna in the middle of a crash scene.

by Anonymousreply 413June 2, 2012 5:04 PM

BRILLIANT 413!

by Anonymousreply 414June 2, 2012 5:21 PM

R411, they did find the voice recorders, right? They should make a new program with that evidence in, because maybe they could come to a new conclusion.. who knows.

by Anonymousreply 415June 3, 2012 12:27 PM

Yes they did r415. The findings are at r354. They havent released the actual voice recordings though, they probably wont for a very long time.

It looks like the pilots were extremely disoriented as to how fast they were going. The equipment gave them correct but excessive warnings, they over corrected and the plane just stopped moving in mid air.

by Anonymousreply 416June 3, 2012 2:17 PM

Actually 416, they completely fucked up. I forget which but the they nose should have been pointed down but they had the nose pointed up. (To recover from this huge drop) This was mainly a case of pilot era but those pitot tubes were part of it too. What a fucked up crash.

by Anonymousreply 417June 3, 2012 2:21 PM

It was extremely sad Plane Crash Troll. They would have been ok if they just continued to point the nose down. The plane fell out the sky like a toy.

The bright side is the black box was found so the families and professionals now know exactly what happened. It is a miracle that it was found.

by Anonymousreply 418June 3, 2012 2:27 PM

Watched this last night on Discovery.

(Does Captain Sully ping to anybody else?)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 419June 3, 2012 2:35 PM

Holy fuck! I said pilot ERA.

Oh, dear...

I agree 419, and the most insane part was that they found 100 or so bodies YEARS later pretty well reserved in the water, still belted into their seats..

There was something too about the main pilot taking a long nap as well..

by Anonymousreply 420June 3, 2012 2:41 PM

Awesome article on Air France crash-

It appears to me that the pilot was extremely disoriented.

Crash never should have happened

by Anonymousreply 421June 3, 2012 6:41 PM

One of my mother's closest friends and her daughter were on the Valuejet plane that crashed into the Everglades. They had taken a vacation to the Caribbean just before the daughter was to be married. The family was told there was no chance of finding any part of their bodies because it was obvious when the plane hit the ground it (and all its occupants) broke up into tiny bits and pieces.

by Anonymousreply 422June 3, 2012 7:17 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 423June 7, 2012 11:03 PM

Why don't folks learn not to get on no small planes? Delta flies most places. Sadness. An entire family. Sadness.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 424June 8, 2012 3:53 AM

I'm sorry, 422. I remember the Valuejet crash. That was awful, and the families were not given any closure.

by Anonymousreply 425June 8, 2012 4:15 AM

Huffington does not open for me, but I am assuming r424 links to the sad story of the Kansas family of six whose small plane went down in a remote swamp in Florida, killing them all.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 426June 8, 2012 1:07 PM

Three friends of mine were killed in the air crash in Nigeria last week. I didn't want to ask what condition their bodies were in.

by Anonymousreply 427June 8, 2012 2:51 PM

Yup, R426. Sad story, sad story. But those kids had dumb names.

by Anonymousreply 428June 8, 2012 8:36 PM

No discussion of that Nigerian plane that went down a few days ago killing everyone on board plus some on the ground? Actually it was an Indian airline and they, but the flight was from Lagos (Nigeria's biggest city) to Abuja (the capital). The stupid airline had the plane in repairs for weeks and went against a mechanic's advice not to fly it because they didn't want to pay for any more repairs.

I had a relative who was almost on that flight, but she changed her flight last minute because her employer wanted her to stay in Lagos longer.

by Anonymousreply 429June 8, 2012 8:53 PM

My condolences to you r427.

The government is very loose on plane regulations there, and traveling on the ground in Nigeria is very difficult. The citizens on the ground are tired of living in fear of planes falling out the sky on their houses

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 430June 8, 2012 9:19 PM

r430, though the Nigerian government is full of corruption and other lapses in responsibility, that crash had nothing to do with the government and everything to do with that lazy ass Indian airline.

And you are right about ground transportation over there. I had a cousin who flew to Nigeria to attend a friend's wedding. She was in the bridal party, the entire bridal party was killed in a head-on collision my cousin and I think three American girls that the bride befriended in college, all gone. There are giant potholes, no lane markers in most cities, no traffic lights, it's horrible.

Right now, I have another relative who flew over there as part of a law school internship and I panicked when I heard about this crash. She seemed to think it was funny when I called, apparently, her school sent her an e-mail asking if she has injured or dead and I'd called right after she read the e-mail.

by Anonymousreply 431June 8, 2012 9:40 PM

I was the earlier post with the three friends who dies. The roads are truly awful.

by Anonymousreply 432June 9, 2012 1:48 AM

GWA 261 Midair collision witness

On March 12th, 2011 Bill Schmidt (not verified) says:

I was sitting westbound at the intersection of Whittier and E. Washington when I caught a glimpse of the Otter at my 11:00 position. My mind registered it and my eyes returned to the intersection where I was awaiting the signal to change. I had two passengers and the stereo was playing, but as I returned focus to the intersection, mind was nagging me about the Otter and looked back up to review it. When I did, it was right at the point of impact and I saw what appeared to be an explosion of debris, but no fire. The left wing separated immediately and the otter went into a wing over port dive and spin. While that was happening, the separated starboard wing seemed to gain altitude in an opposite spin. I called out to my passengers to "look-up" and they did just seconds after I did. The "explosion" seemed to be very small shreds of metal which also, along with clothing (which we later saw to contain limbs) and other debris.

At the time I remember thinking that the other aircraft had actually disintegrated on impact causing the appearance of the flickering small pieces. The event was surreal and no one else in traffic seemed to take notice. As the light changed I made my way through to the left turn lane and made the turn. As we traveled NW on E. Washington, you could still see debris and wreckage falling for at least a minute. I heard sirens and saw the fire truck cross E. Washington onto Mines Blvd, and we followed. I don't know what I was thinking, but it wasn't just curiosity, I felt connected to the life.

As we approached the area, the fire truck seemed lost, I assumed because parts were still falling. We made a turn into the direction I estimated impact was, the truck kept going. We wound up parking off Hadley and Dutchess and walked Hadley to the school. At that time the sky was empty with the exception of one lone Golden West Twin Otter orbiting the crash site. My heart was feeling for that crew as I'm certain they could have been friends or at least colleagues with the crew of 261.

When we arrived at the school there were pieces and clothing scattered in yards and on the sports field behind the school. We must have been among the first to arrive on scene as there were residents and some kids just kind of walking around silently as if to be in shock. The school yard was fenced and, amazingly, 261 was right in the middle of the field, no one at the school appeared to be injured and the buildings had been missed! By that time the sky had become filled with helicopters and a few fixed wing aircraft, including the orbiting Otter.

As we walked the length of the fence, I started to hear people talking between the front yards of the houses across from the schoolyard, there was some crying as well. As I looked down the street, the scene was surreal, almost like the aftermath on a battlefield. I remember one yard had a crater with something "clothed" in it. Surprisingly, there appeared to be no property damage outside the school, just small pieces. As crews started to access the wreckage (about 5 mins. after our arrival on scene) people were gathering at the fence to watch. Law enforcement was quick to seal off access, but we were inside the barricades.

I remember that the number of orbiting aircraft grew to about 17 or 18 and I thought another collision may be imminent. As emergency services arrived, we decided to give them berth and leave the area. As we walked back to the car we saw the left wing and engine from the Otter nestled in the roof of a two story house. I talked to one of the neighbors who knew that resident to be bedridden with a caregiver. She had found out that the wing had actually fallen on his bed! She said the man had been calling for help to the bathroom and had been tired of waiting for help and forced himself to go without the aid of his caregiver. The wing took his bedroom while he was in the bathroom.

by Anonymousreply 433September 8, 2012 9:31 PM

As we continued to the car I saw what appeared to be vomit at a storm drain. Because of color I made the comment that somebody had New England clam chowder for lunch. When we got back to the car the three of us were not really talking much. I looked in the sky one final time and bid the crew of that lone Otter my most heartfelt sympathy for what they were enduring.

Later that night, I was recanting the experience with one of the friends who was with me and that's when the full impact hit me. My friend suggested that the chowder may have been something else that was gray. I have kept this story silent until now, I am compelled to tell it. The two aspects I remember most were that; in all the pieces that fell, no one on the ground was injured - how can that be(?) without divine intervention; and that orbiting Otter

by Anonymousreply 434September 8, 2012 9:31 PM

9/11. I always hated flying anyway...9/11 combined all my fears...planes, tall buildings, fires, falling, etc...

I get so loaded to fly now...love Xanax and a vodka Gimlets...I usually remember NOTHING.

by Anonymousreply 435September 8, 2012 9:49 PM

The PSA flight 182 crash that happened in San Diego in 1978 has always fascinated me for some odd reason. Maybe because we lived in the flight path of Lindbergh Field in SD back in the 80's and 90's plus my sixth grade history teacher told us that the school he was going to at the time served as a temporary morgue for the bodies (well, body parts) because it was around the corner from the crash site.

I remember watching a "Faces of Death" documentary that had scenes from the crash. Body parts, blood splattered all over the street, charred bodies, flight safety cards scattered all over the roofs of the houses, really grisly shit.

There is also the story about the "screaming superman" from that crash. Apparently, when people in the neighborhood were recalling details of the crash including people seeing the look of terror on the dead bodies faces, several people who lived in the neighborhood recalling witnessing what they called a "screaming superman" - one of the passengers supposedly survived the initial impact still attached to his seat, flew several feet in the air for a few seconds with a high-pitched scream before he hit the windshield of a car. I'm thinking that part is urban legend, but who knows?

by Anonymousreply 436September 8, 2012 10:00 PM

Be smart Mr. T. Akin. Don't get on a plane between now and ... losing the election. The GOP will kill you in a heartbeat, even if you win. Especially if you win.

by Anonymousreply 437September 8, 2012 10:04 PM

Last month, there was a crash in Westwood near UCLA. The pilot did a beautiful job missing houses and power lines, at the cost of his life.

by Anonymousreply 438September 9, 2012 7:14 PM

SPRINGFIELD, Mo. September 15, 2012 (AP)

A small plane crashed early Saturday in southwest Missouri, killing the pilot, his three children and a businesswoman.

Missouri State Highway Patrol spokesman Jason Pace said the single-engine plane went down about 12:30 a.m. northwest of the town of Willard, leaving all five people on board dead. The 2002 Cirrus SR22 appeared to have been headed toward the Springfield airport when it crashed about five miles away.

"The plane totally disintegrated after the crash," said Pace, who had been to the site. "It burned, just into pieces. It was a very tragic and horrific site."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 439September 16, 2012 8:24 PM

PHOENIX September 16, 2012 (AP)

A small plane that belonged to an Arizona flight school was found crashed in a canyon in the mountains east of Phoenix on Saturday, and all three men on board were confirmed dead.

Among those on the missing plane were two residents of the Netherlands, one a student pilot and the other an instructor for Dutch airline KLM, which contracted with the school for pilot training.

The single-engine Piper PA-28 left Falcon Field in the Phoenix suburb of Mesa on Thursday for a round-trip flight to Winslow, Ariz., with a stop in Payson. Officials with CAE Global Academy reported it overdue after several hours.

The Civil Air Patrol launched planes and used radar tracks and the passengers' cell phone signals to narrow the search area on Friday. The wreckage was found in a box canyon early Saturday by a state police helicopter crew.

The plane apparently hit a cliff wall, Federal Aviation Administration spokesman Ian Gregor said. A search-and-rescue team from the Gila County sheriff's office hiked to the site and determined there were no survivors.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 440September 16, 2012 8:25 PM

I am also interested to see how the bodies look of the people on a plane crash or motor vehicle accidents - when you arrive at the scene first - how do the dead people look? there are people who are interested in this you stupid cow, so if you dont like the subject go to another site ok!!!!

by Anonymousreply 441January 18, 2013 5:32 AM

I think the ghoulie sites like rotten, etc, have plane crash sections.

In the olden days, the press showed more than now -- I saw a bunch of stills from a British Pathe newsreel on a plane crash near Salzburg, and they showed the poor people scattered in the snow.

by Anonymousreply 442January 18, 2013 2:16 PM

I looked through wiki and we've been pretty lucky lately -- few western countries have had bad aircrashes in the past decade or so. Most of the bad ones are all poor airlines at dangerous airports.

by Anonymousreply 443January 19, 2013 2:30 AM

Photos

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 444February 2, 2013 4:30 PM

My brother and sister-in-law were once first on scene at a fatale car crash and they were pretty tramatized....limbs were lost.

by Anonymousreply 445February 2, 2013 4:40 PM

Sole survivor Cecelia today.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 446February 3, 2013 2:19 AM

That's a photo of the gal who was a baby in the Detroit crash?

by Anonymousreply 447February 3, 2013 2:37 AM

Yes. Cecelia Cichan.

by Anonymousreply 448February 3, 2013 3:15 AM

Cecilia has given one interview in 25 years. She's a college graduate and married. She lived in rural Alabama with an aunt who shielded her from the press.

by Anonymousreply 449February 3, 2013 3:19 AM

[quote]Cecilia has given one interview in 25 years.

What did she say? I wouldn't think she'd remember anything.

by Anonymousreply 450February 3, 2013 3:22 AM

She vaguely remembers the crash. She thinks about it nearly everyday. She's at peace with it. Went in to psychiatry to help others because of the crash. The fireman who saved her was at her wedding. Hopefully these answers will satisfy the curiosity about her. She hopes she can be left alone again after being tracked down.

by Anonymousreply 451February 3, 2013 3:27 AM

Who tracked her down? That was pretty rude.

by Anonymousreply 452February 3, 2013 3:35 AM

Irregardless of the explosion, many victims were alive on impact in Lockerbie and some afterwards.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 453February 3, 2013 4:32 AM

Here's an interview about it.

I was a kid, but I totally remember this happening.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 454February 3, 2013 1:15 PM

Depends on speed and direction of impact. Have had to match torsos with legs before.

by Anonymousreply 455February 3, 2013 1:33 PM

[quote]"Irregardless" isn't a word, dear.

It's nonetheless very popular because it is like music and bounces across the page.

by Anonymousreply 456February 3, 2013 2:10 PM

"Irregardless" is a travesty. It means the opposite of what those who utter it mean to say. It is not at all popular among those who know our glorious language.

---

It hasn't really been mentioned, but how long does it actually take from the time a heart attack starts until a person is dead or deadly incapacitated? Because if people are awake and aware that they are falling to their deaths... how long would it physically take for that person to die of a heart attack, given an incredibly difficult situation of panic?

by Anonymousreply 457October 25, 2013 2:58 AM

Anyone watching the documentary, "Sole Survivor" on CNN? CNN is planning to re-air it on Sunday at 9p and 11p. Powerful, very moving film.

by Anonymousreply 458January 10, 2014 4:54 AM

R458, I, myself, did.

by Anonymousreply 459January 10, 2014 4:58 AM

Give me a plane crash anytime over going down on a ship. I've never been able to watch disaster movies at sea, even something as silly as the Poseidon Adventure. I also cannot watch news reports of ships the moment they stop floating, point downward and disappear.

As for plane crashes, the one I remember most, being Canadian, was Air India 182 in 1985, a 747 with 329 passengers and crew, blown up over the Irish Sea. I remember intact bodies being pulled up by rescue helicopters, looking stiff and frozen from rigor mortis or the freezing water.

by Anonymousreply 460January 10, 2014 7:11 AM

should have mentioned that the Air India Montreal-London-Delhi flight had 238 Canadians on board, as well as British and Indian citizens.

by Anonymousreply 461January 10, 2014 7:18 AM

Contact lost with Malaysia Airlines flight MH370. Boeing 777, 239 people on board.

by Anonymousreply 462March 8, 2014 12:33 AM

It seems like air travel has become safer in the last few years. Growing up it seems there was a major plane crash at least once a year in the US. In the 2000s (leaving out 9/11) I only remember the one that happened in Queens shortly after 9/11 and one in Buffalo in 2009 that killed about 50. The one at SFO last year had only 3 fatalities. Obviously I think this is a good thing, but wonder what has changed for the better. The plane crashes I hear about now are usually in Russia or Africa or places like that.

by Anonymousreply 463March 8, 2014 12:48 AM

Don't ever fly Air China.

by Anonymousreply 464March 8, 2014 12:55 AM

462 - sounds like a new season of LOST.

by Anonymousreply 465March 8, 2014 1:05 AM

We never talked here about the Malaysia Airliner that got shot down.

by Anonymousreply 466October 5, 2014 10:52 PM

bump

by Anonymousreply 467December 5, 2014 1:56 AM

As a F/A of 33 years and a licensed pilot I have seen more crash photos than I care to admit. But the one which still makes the hairs on my arms stand on end is the one of the two 747s in the Canary Islands.

by Anonymousreply 468December 5, 2014 5:10 PM

The MH-17 crash was pretty messy as it happened during a heat spell and it took a while for them to start cleaning it all up...

by Anonymousreply 469December 5, 2014 7:40 PM

Official: At Least 3 Killed in Maryland Jet Crash

GAITHERSBURG, Md. — Dec 8, 2014, 12:32 PM ET

Associated Press

A small, private jet has crashed into a house in Maryland's Montgomery County on Monday, killing at least three people on board, authorities said.

Preliminary information indicates at least three people were on board and didn't survive the Monday crash into home in Gaithersburg, a Washington, D.C. suburb, said Pete Piringer, a Montgomery County Fire and Rescue spokesman.

He said a fourth person may have been aboard.

Piringer said the jet crashed into one home around 11 a.m., setting it and two others on fire. Crews had the fire under control within an hour and were searching for anyone who may have been in the homes.

Television news footage of the scene showed one home nearly destroyed, with a car in the driveway. Witnesses told television news crews that they saw the airplane appear to struggle to maintain altitude before going into a nosedive and crashing.

An FAA spokesman said preliminary information shows the Embraer EMB-500/Phenom 100 twin-engine jet was on approach at the nearby Montgomery County Airpark. The National Transportation Safety Board is sending an investigator to the scene.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 470December 8, 2014 4:44 PM

@WNEW · 11m 11 minutes ago

MORE: 6 are dead following Gaithersburg plane crash. 3 inside home, 3 passengers in jet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 471December 8, 2014 8:40 PM

you lot are sick, go find some help for your sad obsession into others grief

by Anonymousreply 472March 12, 2015 1:37 AM

We were maintaining, R472, until you bumped this dead thread and brought back all our pain and suffering! How could you?!

by Anonymousreply 473March 12, 2015 1:45 AM

OH NO! Not another one :(

by Anonymousreply 474October 31, 2015 10:53 AM

Why do all the planes that crash either fly in Asia or Russia?

by Anonymousreply 475October 31, 2015 10:54 AM

YIKES this is bad!

"The plane is in pieces. Sources at the crash site says that they can hear voices from passengers trapped in one of the parts of the wreck".

by Anonymousreply 476October 31, 2015 10:58 AM

omg -- there's actually a twitter account for Air Disasters!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 477November 2, 2015 5:31 AM

bump

by Anonymousreply 478January 13, 2016 3:18 AM

Bump!

by Anonymousreply 479May 24, 2016 9:51 AM

Wow, this thread is over five years old.

Since the last time I posted here, a retired doctor I knew crashed his small plane into a neighborhood. Thankfully the house he crashed into was empty but he and his passenger were killed. Apparently the underside panels fell off his plane just minutes before the crash.

by Anonymousreply 480May 24, 2016 10:54 AM

There's a gore pinterest page. Warning. It's horrific

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 481May 24, 2016 4:14 PM

Wow. For once this thread wasn't bumped until AFTER I took a plane trip (this time I even went over the Mediterranean). Usually this thread is bumped the day before I depart.

by Anonymousreply 482May 24, 2016 4:57 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 483May 24, 2016 5:06 PM

This is a thread to study over a long slow Saturday afternoon.

by Anonymousreply 484May 26, 2016 4:27 AM

Gayle King BUMPUS!!

by Anonymousreply 485August 28, 2016 4:13 PM

2015 Air Canada crash in Halifax blamed on approach procedure, visibility, lighting

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 486May 19, 2017 1:41 PM

This blog has a lot of firsthand accounts of the 1978 PSA crash in San Diego in the comments, also a few relatives of the passengers comment.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 487August 28, 2017 4:29 AM

I just read the blog R487 posted about. I mean I just spent 4 hrs reading this blog, it is a emotional read people. There are very graphic & detailed posts from witnesses & first responders, victims families, any and everybody who will never forget Sept 25, 1978 and PSA Flight 182.

by Anonymousreply 488August 28, 2017 6:34 AM

This is one of the most macabre threads I've seen on this site. It started in 20fucking11!

While the topic isn't funny, much of the wit is. The responses don't read as though their trying out do each other, etc. Most threads now are exhaustively unfunny. There too many funny responses upthread to list but these two still have me laughing:

R37 and R39

by Anonymousreply 489August 28, 2017 7:05 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 490March 10, 2019 9:16 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!