Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Madonna - Madonna For Sunset Boulevard Remake?

Andrew Lloyd Webber thinks Madonna would be a 'great Norma Desmond' in a remake of 'Sunset Boulevard'.

Madonna is being pursued for a role in a remake of 'Sunset Boulevard'.

The 52-year-old star - who will soon release her directorial debut 'W.E.', a two-tier tale about the relationship between Britain's King Edward VIII and his wife Wallis Simpson, and a modern day woman called Wally - is wanted by maestro Lord Andrew Lloyd Webber for a reimagining of the classic 1950 movie in the role of Norma Desmond, played by Gloria Swanson.

He told Piers Morgan: "I bet you this never, ever, happens, but you know who would make a great Norma Desmond on screen? Madonna.

"She's the right age. I've not got through to her. She hasn't taken my call this time."

Andrew previously worked with Madonna as the composer and songwriter on 'Evita' - about the life of B-list Argentinean actress Eva Duarte - for which he won an Oscar for Best Music and Madonna picked up a Golden Globe for Best Performance by an Actress.

The original 'Sunset Boulevard' tells the tale of a screenwriter who scripts a story for a faded silent-movie star.

It won three Oscars at the 1951 Academy Awards, including Best Music.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96April 17, 2021 5:24 AM

I would love to see this!

by Anonymousreply 1April 8, 2011 12:11 PM

"Andrew Lloyd Webber thinks Madonna would be a 'great Norma Desmond' in a remake of 'Sunset Boulevard'."

In other news, Lloyd-Webber's doctors confirmed the early dementia diagnosis previously hinted at.

by Anonymousreply 2April 8, 2011 12:14 PM

I think Madonna would do it if the role were rewritten for Norma to be a hot 22 year old has been.

by Anonymousreply 3April 8, 2011 12:30 PM

Madonna probably still thinks she's being pursued for the role of Betty, the young writer Joe Gillis is interested in, and is telling her agent she doesn't want a small supporting role.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 4April 8, 2011 12:41 PM

Meow

by Anonymousreply 5April 8, 2011 12:41 PM

My freind Meryl said it best when that skank stole the lead in EVITA:%0D %0D "I'd like to claw her eyes out"%0D %0D %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 6April 8, 2011 12:50 PM

That's never gonna happen! Madonna wont play anyone over 30, she would probably put her kid forward for the role, she's older.

by Anonymousreply 7April 8, 2011 12:55 PM

She oughta consider it if she EVER wants to make a screen impact again in her life. The ONLY film she scored with was Evita, a structured stage musical. This time she could do it again. This role is the role of HER lifetime, in my opinion. You know, they wouldn't have to film her looking scary old, either. If that is her concern. I mean, Gloria Swanson looked marvelous in the 1950 film version, belying her 50 years. They glammed her up, as do the costumes and make-up for the stage production. They could tone down the grotesque a bit. Then again, if Madonna had REAL balls she would go as grotesque as they wanted with no lens filters. She may not understand that but she would garner some fans that way. Any actress (from Bette Davis on down) willing to let it all hang out (Baby Jane, Virginia Woolf!) usually gets an Oscar nom.

by Anonymousreply 8April 8, 2011 1:47 PM

No dear. The ONLY role she scored ANYTHING with was Desperately Seeking Susan. He Evita was painful l and terrible. Vadge would only take this role if they would let her sing and seriously grease the lens. She is a bitter. vain old hag, richer than god without an ounce of talent, but a great business and marketing mind.

by Anonymousreply 9April 8, 2011 2:00 PM

There's nothing tragic about being fifty. Not unless you're trying to be twenty-five.

by Anonymousreply 10April 8, 2011 2:14 PM

She has that Ann Miller disease that would kill a Sunset Boulevard remake.

by Anonymousreply 11April 8, 2011 2:21 PM

I hope not. I thought she was acceptable as Evita because she's pretty much a two-dimensional character anyway. But what made Gloria Swanson's Norma so memorable was that Gloria was a canny dame who had the psychological distance from that sort of diva character (probably from having observed so many in life) to nail her grandiose delusions and narcissistic self-pity. Madonna is too much of a Norma Desmond herself to do what Gloria did and she doesn't have the acting chops to even simulate it.

by Anonymousreply 12April 8, 2011 2:28 PM

she's too sinew-y now. just unattractively so.

by Anonymousreply 13April 8, 2011 2:40 PM

There's no way! I mean, for Norma Desmond you have to do this weird kind of silent screen-inspired acting where you're indicating and posing and parading around! That is just not the kind of trained subtle screen work I do.

by Anonymousreply 14April 8, 2011 2:55 PM

One of the things about Norma is her face. Once the talkies came in, her voice didn't cut it. But she made her career acting with her face before that. Madonna does not have that type of a face, another one of her inadequacies.

by Anonymousreply 15April 8, 2011 3:07 PM

What a horrible idea. It would ruin the musical for all time.

by Anonymousreply 16April 8, 2011 3:16 PM

I'm sure Madonna is going to ALW killed for saying this.

by Anonymousreply 17April 8, 2011 3:21 PM

[quote]"She's the right age."

And he wonders why she hasn't returned his phone call.

by Anonymousreply 18April 8, 2011 3:45 PM

Hasn't she been playing a washed-up has been for about 10 years now?

by Anonymousreply 19April 8, 2011 6:25 PM

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 20April 8, 2011 6:29 PM

It should be Michelle Pfeiffer.

by Anonymousreply 21April 8, 2011 6:34 PM

I agree--Michelle Pfeiffer has the voice for it, she's the right age, and also would be up to the acting requirements for it. And she also was (is) a great beauty. She'd be terrific in the part--and I don't think she'd be afraid to show the scary side of Norma, either.

by Anonymousreply 22April 8, 2011 7:01 PM

I agree with R21 as well. It would be a great comeback role for Pfeiffer.

by Anonymousreply 23April 8, 2011 7:07 PM

Aside from the fact that Madonna can't act or sing, she's perfect!

by Anonymousreply 24April 8, 2011 7:35 PM

Wait, Norma Desmond was British?

by Anonymousreply 25April 8, 2011 7:40 PM

Madge is SOOOOOOOOOOOO desperate to get some acting cred. She has sucked shit at every acting job she has had other than DSS - in which she played herself.

She is painful to watch, old, ugly, ropey and truly has no talent other than being a genius at marketing and business.

by Anonymousreply 26April 8, 2011 7:49 PM

The CAMP possibilities are endless!

by Anonymousreply 27April 8, 2011 7:53 PM

ALW thinks Madonna can handle one of the greatest acting parts in film history? Is he mad?

by Anonymousreply 28April 8, 2011 8:01 PM

Madonna would absolutely ruin this awful musical!

by Anonymousreply 29April 8, 2011 8:20 PM

I like the idea of Michelle Pfeiffer, even though she doesn't really have the voice for it. That can be faked, no worries.%0D %0D I just can't imagine that trout pout of hers on a 1920s movie star! She's had a little too much plastic surgery, that's all.

by Anonymousreply 30April 9, 2011 3:41 AM

Wow, I never even considered Michelle, but now that I think of it, she'd be perfect. She actually can sing, and was up for "Evita" before Madonna stole the role. The demos of Michelle singing are out there. Michelle sort of looks like Madonna in many ways. I've heard that on numerous occasions. It's only in the right light though.

Madonna is so weird these days, I could actually see her agreeing to take the part. She'd probably think to herself, "There's no way people would think that a 25 year old could pull off this part, I'll prove them wrong!"

Michelle loves to look horrible. She would do it at the drop of a hat.

by Anonymousreply 31April 9, 2011 5:25 AM

"She actually can sing"

Well, there's singing & there's the vocal histrionics that the role demands. Pfeiffer has a pleasant but limited voice. Belting is way out of her range.

by Anonymousreply 32April 9, 2011 11:38 AM

[quote]What a horrible idea. It would ruin the musical for all time.

ALW did that when he wrote the damned thing.

by Anonymousreply 33April 9, 2011 11:51 AM

Cher would be the perfect choice.

by Anonymousreply 34April 9, 2011 11:57 AM

Look, a film version of the musical version of the film is going to suck anyway, might as well go full-on ridiculous and give the lead to Madonna. And Joe? Alfred Molina.

by Anonymousreply 35April 9, 2011 12:12 PM

I think Madonna would be great in this role. Back-up? How about Charlie Sheen?

by Anonymousreply 36April 9, 2011 1:39 PM

Didn't Michelle drop out because of sperm posioning? Madonna didn't steal the role, Michelle's crotch-fruit did

by Anonymousreply 37April 9, 2011 2:41 PM

Hugh Jackman.%0D %0D Too bad Raul Esparza (and his tbcjscpctscroc) isn't box office. He'd play the burned out desperate qualities of Joe Gillis beautifully.%0D %0D And he could do the pool side scene showing his bare feets!

by Anonymousreply 38April 9, 2011 2:44 PM

Jackman would be too old for the role now, no?

He's in his forties.

by Anonymousreply 39April 9, 2011 3:22 PM

I can see it now: Madonna and Jake Gyllenhaal in Sunset Boulevard! I'll make more millions!

by Anonymousreply 40April 9, 2011 3:30 PM

People watching the movie usually think Norma is much older than 50. It makes more sense.%0D %0D They should place the date as current, and have Norma be like 100- with great plastic surgery!%0D %0D Madonna is still trying to look like a 20-something, so it's unlikely that she would want to play a woman her own age- or older.

by Anonymousreply 41April 9, 2011 3:54 PM

I doubt Norma told Joe her real age, or any age at all. If he said she was "fifty", that was a guess. %0D %0D And yes, I love Hugh Jackman, but he's too old (as was William Holden in his day). A man in his forties and a well-kept woman in her fifties isn't shocking, a new Joe Gillis should be thirtyish. Old enough to be burned out, young enough to be immature. %0D %0D Can Tom Hardy sing? Ryan Gosling? James Franco? I'm sick to death of Franco, but he'd be about right for a non-singing remake.

by Anonymousreply 42April 9, 2011 4:09 PM

Pfeiffer is a second banana.

by Anonymousreply 43April 9, 2011 4:17 PM

Madonna would actually be triumphant in the role. All she needs to do is return to the vocal coach who prepared her for Evita and the voice would be there. She also completely understands and could embody the faded glamor of Norma Desmond like no one else. Stop the hate and actually think about the possibilites for a moment.

by Anonymousreply 44April 9, 2011 5:26 PM

What about "Mary Poppins"?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45April 9, 2011 5:46 PM

R44 there is a sale on hearing aids at the local Walmart.

Her voice was never there. Even with all the tweaking and morphing they did on Evita she sounded like a thin voiced mess that can't sing. Which is what she is.

by Anonymousreply 46April 9, 2011 5:54 PM

I thought she was oscar worthy in "Dangerous Game" She gave the least "Acted" performance of her career. %0D %0D And she was wonderful in "Evita". Totally deserved the oscar over hammy Frances McDormand, who watched Betty White on "Golden Girls" to come up with her tic filled performance. %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 47April 9, 2011 6:07 PM

I doubt that there has ever been, in the history of cinema, a person who has been given more chances than Madonna. I've never seen her give a performance that I'd rate higher than mediocre. Her performance in "Who's That Girl?" is my least favorite performance of all time.%0D %0D In an acting contest between Ali MacGraw and Madonna, MacGraw would win.

by Anonymousreply 48April 9, 2011 6:20 PM

In a contest between toe jam and Madonna toe jam would win.

by Anonymousreply 49April 9, 2011 6:23 PM

R47 is a fucking retard. Madonna is quite simply the worst actor ever captured on film.

by Anonymousreply 50April 9, 2011 10:07 PM

I hate to admit this but Sunset Blvd. is my very favorite ALW musical. It's really good. Better than any of his other treacle.

That said, Meryl or Michelle would be amazing. Madonna would suck.

by Anonymousreply 51April 10, 2011 1:01 AM

Sorry but I want the story to be about Norman, not Norma. We have the straight Sunset Boulevard. I want a queer one.

by Anonymousreply 52April 10, 2011 1:08 AM

"We have the straight Sunset Boulevard. I want a queer one."

As if we never said "MARY!"

by Anonymousreply 53April 10, 2011 4:06 AM

James Marsden for Joe.

by Anonymousreply 54April 10, 2011 4:28 AM

What an insult.

by Anonymousreply 55April 10, 2011 4:41 AM

YES, James Marsden for Joe!!!%0D %0D Beautiful face, terrific tenor voice, and if he stood next to Madonna he'd look like her son.

by Anonymousreply 56April 10, 2011 4:54 AM

She'd be okay

by Anonymousreply 57April 10, 2011 4:55 AM

What the fuck?

by Anonymousreply 58April 10, 2011 5:16 AM

Mad-donna is a triple threat--no looks, no talent, no brains (if she had any brains, she retires quickly and permanently from public life).

by Anonymousreply 59April 10, 2011 10:16 AM

The answer is: Michelle Pfeiffer and James Marsden.

by Anonymousreply 60October 30, 2011 3:28 PM

I don't know what would be worse: Madonna being in it or Madonna directing it.

by Anonymousreply 61October 30, 2011 3:33 PM

[quote]Cher would be the perfect choice.

AMEN!

She has the gothic style, the voice and the hardened plasticine face! She'd be awesome.

Norma would essentially be wearing her death mask.

Just don't let Faye Dunaway know about this film. She'll start up again.

by Anonymousreply 62October 30, 2011 3:41 PM

And of course Anne Hathaway would play Betty Schaeffer!

by Anonymousreply 63October 30, 2011 6:01 PM

If ALW is squawking about this, then it is a done deal.

This moldy old musical would need a lot of publicity and a good soundtrack to get it off the ground. Though Madge can't act, she can sing adequately enough. And if they direct it like a series of videos (she damn near invented the format)- ala Evita- it will work.

Bet me she'll demand a young Hispanic actor for Joe (Jose'?).

by Anonymousreply 64October 30, 2011 6:45 PM

Cher's voice couldn't do it. It's completely gone.

by Anonymousreply 65October 30, 2011 6:54 PM

I will personally hunt down Madonna and stomp her chest in if she attempts to remake this movie. She stinks up films she's in. "Evita" only succeeded because of the supporting cast and the fact that she didn't stop singing. She couldn't change Gloria Swanson's panty liners.

by Anonymousreply 66October 30, 2011 7:46 PM

Who is Madonna-Madonna?

by Anonymousreply 67October 30, 2011 7:59 PM

Michelle Pfeiffer, or nobody.

by Anonymousreply 68October 30, 2011 8:05 PM

Why do they keep saying WE is her directorial debut? She directed the excerable Filth and Wisdom a few years back.

by Anonymousreply 69October 30, 2011 8:06 PM

Madonna can't play Norma because she's so much like her... that she can't understand the character. Narcissist are incapable of that kind of self-understanding.

by Anonymousreply 70October 30, 2011 8:58 PM

Tim Burton should do it with Helena Bonham Carter and Johnny Depp. That would be original!

by Anonymousreply 71October 30, 2011 9:01 PM

How about Winona Ryder? She's a legendary Hollywood kook, looks like Gloria Swanson and just turned 40 yesterday.

In Hollywood, that's a geriatric age :-)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72October 30, 2011 9:13 PM

Get Streisand

by Anonymousreply 73April 2, 2013 12:29 AM

Now that's a zombie bump!

by Anonymousreply 74April 2, 2013 12:38 AM

Why not look at some of the great actors who have already played it on stage? Glenn Close was great and she understands film. Rita Moreno less so, but maybe La Lupone? Petula Clark is a genuine older star who played the part very well on stage and can act in films.

by Anonymousreply 75April 2, 2013 1:00 AM

[quote]Madonna is too much of a Norma Desmond herself to do what Gloria did and she doesn't have the acting chops to even simulate it.

Touché, R12.

by Anonymousreply 76April 2, 2013 1:11 AM

Why can't it go away?

by Anonymousreply 77April 2, 2013 1:21 AM

Why can't Hollywood just leave classics alone? Stop trying to fuck things up with these remakes.

by Anonymousreply 78April 2, 2013 1:45 AM

(R73) Streisand wanted too much money, so was turned down. Glenn Close did it on Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 79April 3, 2013 2:16 PM

I think Madonna and David Spade would be awesome in a remake. LOL.

by Anonymousreply 80April 3, 2013 3:06 PM

Wow Kate Winslet is looking rough

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81April 4, 2013 4:51 AM

Stop bumping shit.

by Anonymousreply 82April 4, 2013 4:55 AM

This is not a project that Streisand has ever been interested in doing. And for good reason. It's Andrew Lloyd Webber. Streisand knows better than to hitch her wagon to his mediocre shows.

by Anonymousreply 83April 4, 2013 5:14 AM

r82 blame r73 for the random non sequitur bump, if this film gets made it won't have Streisand or The Hag.

I just posted here as it was one of 2 recent Vadge threads. Even if I could start one I wouldn't as she has enough threads.

by Anonymousreply 84April 4, 2013 5:40 AM

ALW must be bored not seeing his name in the paper next to anything but the word "flop". This will never happen.

by Anonymousreply 85May 12, 2013 6:25 PM

This is not a REMAKE of the original, I am assuming, but a filmed version of the stage musical? The article is a bit confusing in that regard. They are two different things. The original film should never ever be remade.

by Anonymousreply 86May 12, 2013 6:33 PM

Whomever directed Chicago, should direct it.

by Anonymousreply 87May 12, 2013 6:39 PM

I think they should update the story and make it gay.

by Anonymousreply 88May 12, 2013 6:40 PM

No Michelle Pfeiffer is perfect. She is beautiful. In real life she is very mysterious.

by Anonymousreply 89June 23, 2013 7:42 AM

How about a black remake? Oprah? Angela Bassett?

by Anonymousreply 90February 1, 2015 2:00 AM

I think any movie re-make would be a disaster and who cares who is in a filmed musical? But Madonna should be cast in a bio-flick about Marlene Dietrich (sp?) Madonna has resembled Marlena since she made her face thin.

by Anonymousreply 91February 1, 2015 2:09 AM

Madonna should not be cast as anyone, ever. She is absolute shit as an actress, even a singing actress. She can neither act nor sing and she has no charm. She might be able to get the monstrous nature of Norma Desmond just by being herself but she could never adequately portray her vulnerability.

Besides, I thought we agreed that Vadge can never be allowed to make another movie.

by Anonymousreply 92February 1, 2015 2:19 AM

R92 you will like definitely like this clip

by Anonymousreply 93February 1, 2015 2:29 AM

Link

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94February 1, 2015 2:32 AM

She won a Golden Globe - that's nice.

It was nice when Pia Zadora won one too.

by Anonymousreply 95February 1, 2015 2:37 AM

This would be an incredible remake

by Anonymousreply 96April 17, 2021 5:24 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!