Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

She''s a vulgarian!

!

by Anonymousreply 57June 1, 2018 5:13 AM

Mary Beth Hurt after Maureen Stapleton dances around the living room and smashes a vase in the hysterical Woody Allen film "Interiors". Saw it across from Bloomie's at that double theater, is that still open on 3rd Ave.?

by Anonymousreply 1March 17, 2011 1:30 AM

Whenever I hear the sound of duct tape being pulled I think of this movie.

by Anonymousreply 2March 17, 2011 1:36 AM

Don't squeal.

by Anonymousreply 3March 17, 2011 3:35 AM

one of his best, yet one of the most controversial.

by Anonymousreply 4March 17, 2011 3:43 AM

It's funny, this film is all over the place. Overall-I like it, but WHAT. THE. HELL? There's the bit where Diane Keaton's Hubby tries (unsuccessfully) to rape her little sister Ranata...and the frumpy schlumpy, nebbish sister (the one who's a female Woody Allen) and the Mother-I actually thought she was a ghost in some parts, especially right before the daughter chases her into the ocean and almost drowns...but then there was the funeral-so that whole showdown was real, I guess. Just an odd film-or maybe I saw it at an odd time...

by Anonymousreply 5March 19, 2011 4:45 PM

Oops. "Joey" He tries to rape "JOEY" -the Mary Beth Hurt character...

by Anonymousreply 6March 19, 2011 4:48 PM

This is absolutely my favorite film. But I love Bergman. Autumn Sonata and Cries and Whispers are two of my other favorites.

I love dark films.

The beach scene towards the end when Geraldine Page -does what she does-(spoiler) and it cuts to each of the main characters sleeping, and one by one waking up, is one of my favorite sequences in films.

Maureen Stapleton was brilliant in it, and saved the film by bringing a down to earth goodness (which I guess was the point).

by Anonymousreply 7March 19, 2011 4:53 PM

I thought it was embarrassing because Woody so obviously knew nothing about the sort of people he was trying to depict. To be fair to him, though, it's doubtful he could have gotten a movie about a family of Jews in Brooklyn greenlighted. %0D %0D The best thing about it is the costumes and decor. This really is how upwardly mobile people dressed and furnished their homes in the 1970s. Earth tones and natural fabrics, metal and glass and real wood. Plastic and polyester and garish colors were for blue collar people and the nouveau riche who didn't know any better.

by Anonymousreply 8March 19, 2011 4:59 PM

[quote]Maureen Stapleton was brilliant in it%0D %0D I loved her in it: "You only live once, and once is enough if you play your cards right." %0D %0D But it was kind of funny when she first appears in the film wearing a fur coat, and more importantly under that a red dress, in contrast to everyone else wearing the palest of colors, and in a home with the palest design.

by Anonymousreply 9March 19, 2011 5:03 PM

[quote]But it was kind of funny when she first appears in the film wearing a fur coat, and more importantly under that a red dress, in contrast to everyone else wearing the palest of colors, and in a home with the palest design.

Not exactly subtle.

by Anonymousreply 10March 19, 2011 5:07 PM

But that's why it was funny, R10.

by Anonymousreply 11March 19, 2011 5:11 PM

It is funny how Ingrid Bergman turned down this film because she was filming Autuman Sonata, and how SIMILAR the scenes are between her and Liv Ullman as the scene between the mother and Mary Beth Hurt in the dark at the beachhouse. Very interesting..

by Anonymousreply 12March 21, 2011 12:01 AM

I loved both films of them same reasons

by Anonymousreply 13March 21, 2011 12:06 AM

When are people going to realise that Interiors is another Woody Allen COMEDY? I mean for fuck's sake - Diane Keaton is a genius and he didn't give her lines like "I can't seem to shake the real implication of dying..." for NOTHING.

by Anonymousreply 14March 21, 2011 12:12 AM

oh fuck off, 14.

by Anonymousreply 15March 21, 2011 12:17 AM

R8, your statements contradict themselves. Allen knows nothing about these people, yet the costumes and decor are exactly right? And the film has lasted in people's memories this long, it must have hit the mark in some way.

by Anonymousreply 16March 21, 2011 12:44 AM

"I loved both films of them same reasons"

WTF?

by Anonymousreply 17March 21, 2011 12:46 AM

I really enjoyed Interiors; I think it's one of Allen's best films. Although the dialogue can sound unnatural, the overall tone of the movie is haunting. The following monologue from Mary Beth Hurt's character stuck with me for days:

"Oh, Mother. Don't you see? You're ... not just a sick woman. That would be too easy. The truth is ... there's been perverseness and wilfulness of attitude in many of the things you've done. At the centre of a sick psyche there is a sick spirit. But I love you. And we have no other choice but to forgive each other."

by Anonymousreply 18March 21, 2011 12:47 AM

"I thought it was embarrassing because Woody so obviously knew nothing about the sort of people he was trying to depict."

I suppose you could be right about this, but I'd like to hear your reasoning. Other than that he's Jewish and from inner Brooklyn, which, frankly, doesn't cut it.

Personally, while I don't love Interiors, I never thought that Allen didn't understand the subculture of its characters, a subculture he revisited, and much more successfully in terms of the overall quality of the script, in Another Woman.

by Anonymousreply 19March 21, 2011 12:51 AM

What about that September movie, eh?

"I just want to swallow all this Valium!" "It will take about a million." "I'll take 'em all!"

by Anonymousreply 20March 21, 2011 12:55 AM

A beautiful frightening mood he sets

by Anonymousreply 21March 21, 2011 12:58 AM

"My beiges and my earth tones."

by Anonymousreply 22March 21, 2011 1:11 AM

"We knew about your affairs when Mother was in the hospital but your CHOICES WERE A LITTLE MORE DISCREET!!!!!!!!!!!"

by Anonymousreply 23March 29, 2011 4:12 AM

"September" is a mess.

by Anonymousreply 24March 29, 2011 11:11 PM

It's not irrevocable.

by Anonymousreply 25March 30, 2011 12:38 AM

Paintings of CLOWNS on black velvet?

by Anonymousreply 26March 30, 2011 12:42 AM

This movie is the definition of On The Nose. Allen has nothing to say when he's saying it seriously. The most painful, honest things he has said about life have been through comedy.

by Anonymousreply 27March 30, 2011 12:49 AM

r27, Interiors IS a comedy you fool.

by Anonymousreply 28March 30, 2011 1:06 AM

This reminded me a bit of the old Joan Crawford movie "Harriet Craig."

by Anonymousreply 29March 30, 2011 1:40 AM

Renata, Renata! All I hear about is Renata! %0D

by Anonymousreply 30March 30, 2011 1:46 AM

LOL!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31March 30, 2011 1:50 AM

Your work is not fashionable Frederick, you should be thankful for that for GOD'S SAKE!! I mean what are you after - the superficial acclaim of some little BOOK reviewer in some ROOM somewhere?! I mean we've ALWAYS talked about FINE work that means something in the long run!"

by Anonymousreply 32March 30, 2011 2:00 AM

Will you please not breathe so hard!

by Anonymousreply 33March 30, 2011 2:02 AM

I'm not that far from the age when Mother began showing signs of strain.

by Anonymousreply 34April 9, 2011 12:41 AM

Poor Joey. She has all the anguish and anxiety of the artistic personality, without any of the talent.

by Anonymousreply 35July 14, 2011 8:03 PM

SHE'S a VULGARIAN

by Anonymousreply 36May 19, 2014 8:52 PM

At least she's not a short-fingered vulgarian.

by Anonymousreply 37May 19, 2014 8:56 PM

Why do you stay with me? I give you nothing but grief.

by Anonymousreply 38May 12, 2015 10:50 AM

I feel a real need to express something but I don't know what it is I want to express or how to express it.

by Anonymousreply 39May 12, 2015 10:52 AM

saw it again recently. Much better than I thought it was. Yes it has its pretensions but they work. Page and Marshall are amazing.

by Anonymousreply 40May 12, 2015 2:59 PM

Indeed, some of the direction and acting is superb

by Anonymousreply 41May 12, 2015 3:03 PM

OP = Diane Chambers

by Anonymousreply 42May 12, 2015 3:18 PM

I laugh every time each sister approaches the casket one by one because in my mind, I imagine each actress playing it up more than the previous one so that the last one is basically tearing at her hair and weeping all over.

by Anonymousreply 43May 12, 2015 3:32 PM

At the center of of a sick psyche is a sick spirit.

by Anonymousreply 44May 12, 2015 4:34 PM

Are you talking about Sophia? Sophia Vulgarian? The giant pair of tits who talks like she's deaf and retarded?

by Anonymousreply 45May 12, 2015 5:41 PM

I have all the action figures. They're collector's items!

by Anonymousreply 46May 13, 2015 12:31 AM

R12 - If Ingrid had played the mother how would her accent have been explained? Also in Autumn Sonata Ingrid is so charming and funny that you automatically side with her over the weasel that Liv Ullmann plays.

by Anonymousreply 47May 22, 2015 9:40 AM

only sick people would care

by Anonymousreply 48October 25, 2016 5:48 PM

Samantha Bee owns this thread.

by Anonymousreply 49May 31, 2018 11:15 PM

I am not ashamed for having my work subsidized!

by Anonymousreply 50May 31, 2018 11:20 PM

I PUT THINGS OUT!

by Anonymousreply 51May 31, 2018 11:22 PM

Ivanka, Ivana, Melania, Roseanne, Kim, Khloe, Caitlyn, Kellyanne, Kathy Lee, Kris, Chyna, Amber, Britny?

by Anonymousreply 52May 31, 2018 11:33 PM

[quote] "I loved both films of them same reasons —Anonymous"

Yep! Them same reasons.

by Anonymousreply 53May 31, 2018 11:58 PM

Interestingly, Joel Schumacher, notoriously bad director, did the costumes for INTERIORS, and quite well. (He'd done a nice job on costumes with SLEEPER, THE LAST OF SHEILA, and others previously.)

I love Geraldine Page's craziness and narcissism in this movie. Schumacher also managed to make (quite frankly) a doughy and middle-aged Page look chic, urbane, and icey when she actually closely resembled her opposite, the coarse but sexy earth-mother, Maureen Stapleton. (Genius actresses, both.)

Now THAT'S good design.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54June 1, 2018 2:17 AM

I bought this movie for streaming the first time we visited this thread and I still can't get past the opening scenes.

by Anonymousreply 55June 1, 2018 2:31 AM

R19, where is inner Brooklyn and is it different from outer Brooklyn?

by Anonymousreply 56June 1, 2018 5:09 AM

R32, yeah, Frederick, you wouldn't want your work to be fashionable.

by Anonymousreply 57June 1, 2018 5:13 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!