Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

She''s a vulgarian!

!

by Anonymousreply 4810/25/2016

Mary Beth Hurt after Maureen Stapleton dances around the living room and smashes a vase in the hysterical Woody Allen film "Interiors". Saw it across from Bloomie's at that double theater, is that still open on 3rd Ave.?

by Anonymousreply 103/16/2011

Whenever I hear the sound of duct tape being pulled I think of this movie.

by Anonymousreply 203/16/2011

Don't squeal.

by Anonymousreply 303/16/2011

one of his best, yet one of the most controversial.

by Anonymousreply 403/16/2011

It's funny, this film is all over the place. Overall-I like it, but WHAT. THE. HELL? There's the bit where Diane Keaton's Hubby tries (unsuccessfully) to rape her little sister Ranata...and the frumpy schlumpy, nebbish sister (the one who's a female Woody Allen) and the Mother-I actually thought she was a ghost in some parts, especially right before the daughter chases her into the ocean and almost drowns...but then there was the funeral-so that whole showdown was real, I guess. Just an odd film-or maybe I saw it at an odd time...

by Anonymousreply 503/19/2011

Oops. "Joey" He tries to rape "JOEY" -the Mary Beth Hurt character...

by Anonymousreply 603/19/2011

This is absolutely my favorite film. But I love Bergman. Autumn Sonata and Cries and Whispers are two of my other favorites.

I love dark films.

The beach scene towards the end when Geraldine Page -does what she does-(spoiler) and it cuts to each of the main characters sleeping, and one by one waking up, is one of my favorite sequences in films.

Maureen Stapleton was brilliant in it, and saved the film by bringing a down to earth goodness (which I guess was the point).

by Anonymousreply 703/19/2011

I thought it was embarrassing because Woody so obviously knew nothing about the sort of people he was trying to depict. To be fair to him, though, it's doubtful he could have gotten a movie about a family of Jews in Brooklyn greenlighted. %0D %0D The best thing about it is the costumes and decor. This really is how upwardly mobile people dressed and furnished their homes in the 1970s. Earth tones and natural fabrics, metal and glass and real wood. Plastic and polyester and garish colors were for blue collar people and the nouveau riche who didn't know any better.

by Anonymousreply 803/19/2011

[quote]Maureen Stapleton was brilliant in it%0D %0D I loved her in it: "You only live once, and once is enough if you play your cards right." %0D %0D But it was kind of funny when she first appears in the film wearing a fur coat, and more importantly under that a red dress, in contrast to everyone else wearing the palest of colors, and in a home with the palest design.

by Anonymousreply 903/19/2011

[quote]But it was kind of funny when she first appears in the film wearing a fur coat, and more importantly under that a red dress, in contrast to everyone else wearing the palest of colors, and in a home with the palest design.

Not exactly subtle.

by Anonymousreply 1003/19/2011

But that's why it was funny, R10.

by Anonymousreply 1103/19/2011

It is funny how Ingrid Bergman turned down this film because she was filming Autuman Sonata, and how SIMILAR the scenes are between her and Liv Ullman as the scene between the mother and Mary Beth Hurt in the dark at the beachhouse. Very interesting..

by Anonymousreply 1203/20/2011

I loved both films of them same reasons

by Anonymousreply 1303/20/2011

When are people going to realise that Interiors is another Woody Allen COMEDY? I mean for fuck's sake - Diane Keaton is a genius and he didn't give her lines like "I can't seem to shake the real implication of dying..." for NOTHING.

by Anonymousreply 1403/20/2011

oh fuck off, 14.

by Anonymousreply 1503/20/2011

R8, your statements contradict themselves. Allen knows nothing about these people, yet the costumes and decor are exactly right? And the film has lasted in people's memories this long, it must have hit the mark in some way.

by Anonymousreply 1603/20/2011

"I loved both films of them same reasons"

WTF?

by Anonymousreply 1703/20/2011

I really enjoyed Interiors; I think it's one of Allen's best films. Although the dialogue can sound unnatural, the overall tone of the movie is haunting. The following monologue from Mary Beth Hurt's character stuck with me for days:

"Oh, Mother. Don't you see? You're ... not just a sick woman. That would be too easy. The truth is ... there's been perverseness and wilfulness of attitude in many of the things you've done. At the centre of a sick psyche there is a sick spirit. But I love you. And we have no other choice but to forgive each other."

by Anonymousreply 1803/20/2011

"I thought it was embarrassing because Woody so obviously knew nothing about the sort of people he was trying to depict."

I suppose you could be right about this, but I'd like to hear your reasoning. Other than that he's Jewish and from inner Brooklyn, which, frankly, doesn't cut it.

Personally, while I don't love Interiors, I never thought that Allen didn't understand the subculture of its characters, a subculture he revisited, and much more successfully in terms of the overall quality of the script, in Another Woman.

by Anonymousreply 1903/20/2011

What about that September movie, eh?

"I just want to swallow all this Valium!" "It will take about a million." "I'll take 'em all!"

by Anonymousreply 2003/20/2011

A beautiful frightening mood he sets

by Anonymousreply 2103/20/2011

"My beiges and my earth tones."

by Anonymousreply 2203/20/2011

"We knew about your affairs when Mother was in the hospital but your CHOICES WERE A LITTLE MORE DISCREET!!!!!!!!!!!"

by Anonymousreply 2303/28/2011

"September" is a mess.

by Anonymousreply 2403/29/2011

It's not irrevocable.

by Anonymousreply 2503/29/2011

Paintings of CLOWNS on black velvet?

by Anonymousreply 2603/29/2011

This movie is the definition of On The Nose. Allen has nothing to say when he's saying it seriously. The most painful, honest things he has said about life have been through comedy.

by Anonymousreply 2703/29/2011

r27, Interiors IS a comedy you fool.

by Anonymousreply 2803/29/2011

This reminded me a bit of the old Joan Crawford movie "Harriet Craig."

by Anonymousreply 2903/29/2011

Renata, Renata! All I hear about is Renata! %0D

by Anonymousreply 3003/29/2011

LOL!!!

by Anonymousreply 3103/29/2011

Your work is not fashionable Frederick, you should be thankful for that for GOD'S SAKE!! I mean what are you after - the superficial acclaim of some little BOOK reviewer in some ROOM somewhere?! I mean we've ALWAYS talked about FINE work that means something in the long run!"

by Anonymousreply 3203/29/2011

Will you please not breathe so hard!

by Anonymousreply 3303/29/2011

I'm not that far from the age when Mother began showing signs of strain.

by Anonymousreply 3404/08/2011

Poor Joey. She has all the anguish and anxiety of the artistic personality, without any of the talent.

by Anonymousreply 3507/14/2011

SHE'S a VULGARIAN

by Anonymousreply 3605/19/2014

At least she's not a short-fingered vulgarian.

by Anonymousreply 3705/19/2014

Why do you stay with me? I give you nothing but grief.

by Anonymousreply 3805/12/2015

I feel a real need to express something but I don't know what it is I want to express or how to express it.

by Anonymousreply 3905/12/2015

saw it again recently. Much better than I thought it was. Yes it has its pretensions but they work. Page and Marshall are amazing.

by Anonymousreply 4005/12/2015

Indeed, some of the direction and acting is superb

by Anonymousreply 4105/12/2015

OP = Diane Chambers

by Anonymousreply 4205/12/2015

I laugh every time each sister approaches the casket one by one because in my mind, I imagine each actress playing it up more than the previous one so that the last one is basically tearing at her hair and weeping all over.

by Anonymousreply 4305/12/2015

At the center of of a sick psyche is a sick spirit.

by Anonymousreply 4405/12/2015

Are you talking about Sophia? Sophia Vulgarian? The giant pair of tits who talks like she's deaf and retarded?

by Anonymousreply 4505/12/2015

I have all the action figures. They're collector's items!

by Anonymousreply 4605/12/2015

R12 - If Ingrid had played the mother how would her accent have been explained? Also in Autumn Sonata Ingrid is so charming and funny that you automatically side with her over the weasel that Liv Ullmann plays.

by Anonymousreply 4705/22/2015

only sick people would care

by Anonymousreply 4810/25/2016
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!