Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Fuck parents and their brats with peanut allergies

This shit is getting ridiculous. Have these idiots thought that maybe a little exposure is good for them? I don't know how any of these little hothouse orchids survived when I was in grade school.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 318December 7, 2018 10:37 PM

Yeah, fuck 'em square in the butt!

by Anonymousreply 1March 11, 2011 10:07 PM

This little hothouse flower almost died twice as a young child because of my nut allergy. You obviously have no clue what a food allergy entails.

by Anonymousreply 2March 11, 2011 10:15 PM

Kids have been eating peanut butter and jelly sandwiches forever. WTF is going on the past few years that no one can eat peanuts anymore?

by Anonymousreply 3March 11, 2011 10:16 PM

Can't they start special ed schools for these kids, like a Peanut Allergy Academy?%0D %0D I don't recall any of the 80 kids I went through 8 years of grammar school having a peanut allergy.%0D %0D Kids are being raised in a too sterile environment. In order to develop a robust immune systems, kids need to be exposed to germs and allergens to develop acquired immunity.

by Anonymousreply 4March 11, 2011 10:21 PM

Spent much time in the medical field, R4? Allergist? Immunoligist?

I am not sure that your method works terribly well for, say, people who are allergic to bee stings? Or, for that matter, peanuts.

Alas, they do tend to die when exposed to those things.

But, oh well...

by Anonymousreply 5March 11, 2011 10:26 PM

Why do their kids overrule the rights of the others? Here's the deal. If his allergies are that severe, understand that your kid is going to have to give up things. It's his allergy and the rest of the world will not be able to conform to your needs. Sad but true.

by Anonymousreply 6March 11, 2011 10:28 PM

Yes, R5, they should. If they die, they die. That's how nature works. Survival of the fittest and all.%0D %0D If they can't handle a measly bee sting, they don't deserve to exist.

by Anonymousreply 7March 11, 2011 10:31 PM

Exactly R3. Something is seriously fucked up. I don't remember that many kids having allergies to foods when I was a kid in the early seventies. We spent a hell of a lot of time outside eating dirt and bugs and stuff.

by Anonymousreply 8March 11, 2011 10:36 PM

Wow, Mike Galanos got incredibly fat.

by Anonymousreply 9March 11, 2011 10:42 PM

I will never understand this shit. Kids can't eat peanuts. They're autistic. What the fuck. Our mothers smoke and drank and fucked like whores while we were inutero and we came out fine. What is going on?

by Anonymousreply 10March 11, 2011 10:46 PM

It's become absurd. every other kid has ADD or ADHD and is on Ritalin. every third kid has a peanut allergy. i never knew one kid with any sort of allergy growing up, and now kids are allergic to everything. parents don't make time for their kids and don't pay attention to them, so the kids act out and get pathologized.

by Anonymousreply 11March 11, 2011 10:50 PM

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the brilliant comic stylings of R10.

by Anonymousreply 12March 11, 2011 10:51 PM

Lol at r10!

by Anonymousreply 13March 11, 2011 10:54 PM

You guys sound like a bunch of hateful freepers.

by Anonymousreply 14March 11, 2011 10:54 PM

I'm not very sympathetic to the families with the peanut allergy children. Yes, some precautions can and should be taken... But the other kids having to wash their hands and mouths twice a day? %0D %0D I love when Galanos, who is extremely biased in this case, says 'keep fighting the fight' to the frau that calls in.

by Anonymousreply 15March 11, 2011 10:55 PM

Are you saying that autistic kids can't eat peanuts?

by Anonymousreply 16March 11, 2011 10:55 PM

[quote] That one Libertarian whose better than you

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 17March 11, 2011 10:57 PM

You may be better, R14, but you might still try to learn the difference between whose and who's.

Just sayin'.

by Anonymousreply 18March 11, 2011 10:58 PM

[quote]and we came out fine. You sure about that?

by Anonymousreply 19March 11, 2011 10:58 PM

Fuck yeah I'm sure about that. I was a kid in the 80s, born in 1973 on the same day Y&R premiered. I didn't know one kid with a peanut allergy. Didn't know any ADD kids or autistic kids. There were the shortbus kids, but they stayed in the same classroom all day. All of a sudden kids can't eat peanut butter. What the fuck? Isn't that a kid's lunchtime staple?

My 8th grade earth science teacher popped my cherry, then passed me around to his friends. These days teacher's can't fuck anybody.

The world is a mess.

by Anonymousreply 20March 11, 2011 11:05 PM

It helps thin out the herd.

by Anonymousreply 21March 11, 2011 11:06 PM

The peanut allergy forums are almost as good as Michfest. This woman had a hissy over "5 kids eating recess cups" -

[quote]Today, I drop off Jacob and I see a huddle of about 5 kids around a table eating recess peanut butter cups. During recess, there is only 1 teacher on duty, and she is busy watching the kids on the play structures and oblivious to the fact that kids are eating. I immediately approach the kids and, short of wanting to rip the candy out of the hands and dump them in the garbage, I ask them to wash their hands. I then ask my son's teacher, who was on break, to make sure the kids wash their hands and don't make a mess. Still feeling very insecure, I decide to walk to the principal's office and talk to the principal. The first thing I say to the principal is, "I am feeling very worried right now." Then I describe the situation of 5 kids eating recess cups. ... What depresses me is the way the principal is so defensive and makes me feel like I'm battling her and being over-bearing. I can tell I'm on her "difficult parent list." ... All you Christians out there, please pray for me. I wonder how many PA parents out there have depression. Every time an allergic incident occurs, I get drained for a couple of days.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22March 11, 2011 11:17 PM

A Recess Cup!

Sweet Mary and Joseph, I actually laughed out loud!

by Anonymousreply 23March 11, 2011 11:21 PM

That's delicious, R22.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24March 11, 2011 11:22 PM

Which one of you sick bitches posted this?

[quote]I was baby sitting a a kid when I was in the Navy and I didn't realize he had a nut allergy. I noticed he was having a reaction so I did dial 911 and I gave him a Benadryl that I was carrying for a cold I received from not having protected sex. ( It was just a glory hole for god's sake). From that point on I was a hero for saving the kid from death and I still watched the kid until I was discharged but I would give the kid a tablespoon of Jif just so my friends could watch the kid convulse and grab his throat. I charged admission for this side show and I used the money for a weekly keg party at the Enlsited Club. I was the belle of the ball so to speak.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25March 11, 2011 11:35 PM

Can't you get desensitized if you have severe allergies? The hype does seem disproportionate.

There seems to be a weird class element to peanut allergies. It tends to be kids of upper-middle class types. Why is that? Do the poor kids who have it die young? You never hear of an allergy to sushi or filet mignon or boneless chicken breasts. Peanut butter is lowbrow.

by Anonymousreply 26March 11, 2011 11:35 PM

Here's info on getting desensitized.

r2, if you don't mind me asking, did you grow up with well-educated, upper middle class parents?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27March 11, 2011 11:39 PM

The parents should be jailed for passing on defective genes.

Don't blame the victims, blame their shitty parents!

by Anonymousreply 28March 11, 2011 11:54 PM

I can't view the video, but the important thing is that while nut allergies are unquestionably real and deadly, there is not a single case on record of an nut allergy death not through direct ingestion. There was one case that got masses of media attention, a girl who died after kissing her boyfriend who'd been eating peanuts, but it was later proven that she had not died from an allergy attack. (Of course the real facts garnered very little press attention.) I did my thesis on this subject (we discussed this a lot in the last peanut allergy thread) and it's physically impossible to have that specific allergic reaction to simply inhaling peanut fumes. It's possible to have other symptoms, but of you look at the actual peer-reviewed studies, there is also evidence to suggest that type of reaction (to fumes, not to ingestion) is somatic.

The chances of another child having peanut butter on his hand and accidentally wiping sone on an item the allergic child then touches with his hand, and him subsequently putting his hand in his mouth, is a risk, but not a substantial one and frankly I think if children have potentially fatal allergies their parents should teach them to be responsible for things like hand washing.

by Anonymousreply 29March 11, 2011 11:56 PM

It's all because of the disappearance of the bees.

by Anonymousreply 30March 11, 2011 11:58 PM

Frau who has to deal with pnut allergic kids at my kids school. It's a pain in the ass, my kids love pbj's, but I can't send them to school with them. But you know what, I would never want to be responsible for a kid dying. My precious flowers can live without peanut butter during their school day, as well as peanut products. I have no idea what is causing this, but until you witness someone dying from a reaction, please do stfu. It's serious and it takes a village and all.

by Anonymousreply 31March 12, 2011 12:04 AM

They are just trying to isolate what is causing her attacks, why do you have a problem with that?%0D %0D For just a few days the kids need to wash their hands after eating ... which they should do anyway.%0D %0D They are bringing in a dog to sniff out potential contagens at no cost to the school. They are doing this on a day when the kids aren't in school.%0D %0D Why are people up in arms about this? They just want to know what is making her have a reaction so that they can make plans to keep her away from it.

by Anonymousreply 32March 12, 2011 12:07 AM

"please do stfu"%0D %0D Not a chance, bitch.

by Anonymousreply 33March 12, 2011 12:08 AM

I do not care about defective children who live to breed.

by Anonymousreply 34March 12, 2011 12:10 AM

Peanut allergy hysteria is ridiculous. Other kids shouldn't be responsible b/c some kid ate a food that didn't belong to them. Parents need to be responsible for their kids not someone else's child.

by Anonymousreply 35March 12, 2011 12:13 AM

29, can you provide a link to the study? I have a friend who won't fly Southwest because they serve peanuts and he's convinced that the residual peanut "dust" on the plane could bring on an attack. And while he carries an epipen and other meds, its not unreasonable to say that if he does suffer an attack at 30000 feet and his meds aren't effective enough, he's going to die. I understand his caution, but I honestly think his restrictions are perhaps more than is necessary.

by Anonymousreply 36March 12, 2011 12:16 AM

R25.... hardest heartiest laugh of the day. LOL. It was just a glory hole for god's sake!

by Anonymousreply 37March 12, 2011 12:17 AM

Still dying here.... that poster was called "nutts 2 butts"%0D %0D That is awesome. If I wasn't hanging out here so much I'd fuck with their heads all day long over there.

by Anonymousreply 38March 12, 2011 12:20 AM

Little kids can't be depended on to always do what they should do, in this case not eat peanut butter. Also, they are unlikely to think to ask if something contains peanuts, and might eat candy or some other foods where peanuts aren't obvious ingredients.%0D %0D I've never seen an allergic reaction to peanut butter in person, but I have to shellfish. It was incredibly scary to witness. If that is the experience these parents have to go through with their kids, I can understand why they are frantic about their kids not eating peanuts.

by Anonymousreply 39March 12, 2011 12:24 AM

"every third kid has a peanut allergy"%0D %0D %0D %0D No they don't. It is a rare disease.%0D %0D %0D "Fuck yeah I'm sure about that. I was a kid in the 80s, born in 1973 on the same day Y&R premiered. I didn't know one kid with a peanut allergy. Didn't know any ADD kids or autistic kids"%0D %0D %0D No one had AIDS when I was a kid. I guess that means people who claim to have AIDS are just making it up.

by Anonymousreply 40March 12, 2011 12:26 AM

I ate peanut butter sandwiches almost every day for lunch from first grade through graduation. Never varied my lunch. (Yeah, I was a boring kid.) I never washed my hands after lunch. Or before lunch, come to think of it. (Yeah, I was a boring kid with bad hygiene.)%0D %0D Nobody died. Nobody even got sick. But that was the 70s and 80s. %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 41March 12, 2011 12:30 AM

[quote]I didn't know one kid with a peanut allergy. Didn't know any ADD kids or autistic kids.

So fucking what? You really cannot be serious with that line of reasoning.

by Anonymousreply 42March 12, 2011 12:32 AM

If parents are so worried about little Johnny having a snickers bar on the down low, then they should home school the kid until that child is old enough to have common sense about eating unknown foods.

by Anonymousreply 43March 12, 2011 12:38 AM

R36, I'm on my phone right now, but I'll have a look when I get home on Sunday. In general though PubMed is the website to go to for peer-reviewed studies.

Another thing, a lot of people don't know the difference between an allergy and an intolerance, and sometimes attribute all kinds of symptoms to allergy. So, while not in the least trying to downplay actual allergy attacks, not everyone who says they/their child had an allergic attack are talking about an actual allergy attack. Not because they are lying, but because it's a very specific medical term that seems to be fairly misunderstood. I mean laypeople don't neccesarily use medical terminology correctly. (When I was presenting, I gave the example of my grandfather always blaming hangovers on a flareup of the malaria he had a bout of in WWI and insisting on a glug of tonic water for the quinine. That doesn't actually have anything to do with anything, I just thought it was funny, sorry.)

by Anonymousreply 44March 12, 2011 12:40 AM

"Nobody died. Nobody even got sick. But that was the 70s and 80s."%0D %0D %0D %0D Are you retarded? The reason "nobody died" is because you weren't eating with kids who had peanut allergies. If someone at your school did have a peanut allergy, then it would have been dangerous. AGAIN, peanut allergies are rare. Man, you people are really stupid.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 46March 12, 2011 12:44 AM

stfu r45 and go back to iVillage. All this thread proves is that posters on DL like others on many other websites are tired of helicopter parents.

by Anonymousreply 47March 12, 2011 12:50 AM

Who is the unhinged pro peanut allergy queen?

by Anonymousreply 48March 12, 2011 12:50 AM

You idiots must be conservatives because you really lack the ability to feel empathy for others.%0D %0D %0D %0D I'm sure there are lots of old timers sitting around saying things like, "Why do schools need gay clubs? There weren't any gay kids at my school!"

by Anonymousreply 49March 12, 2011 12:53 AM

Peanut allergies are so rare that it's dumb to get crazed about making 99% conform to the 1% who might have a reaction. Unfortunately, a number of parents live under the delusion that their kids are weak flowers. I feel bad for the kids.

by Anonymousreply 50March 12, 2011 12:54 AM

When I was growing up (born in 70), we had one kid with peanut allergies in our school. I was a picky kid, and would eat nothing except peanut butter and jelly for lunch. We were told not to give him our peanut butter and jelly sandwiches or peanuts. He sat at the same table as other kids who ate peanut butter sandwiches and never had any problems.

by Anonymousreply 51March 12, 2011 12:55 AM

I went to school with a kid who almost died from his peanut allergy, he ate a brownie in the cafeteria, I just remember him red and crying and not making any noise b/c he couldn't breathe. His name was Nathan and this was in 1983.

A woman died at a Christmas party that one of my friend's bosses had at his house. They had a Thai peanut pasta dish. They ran nextdoor to a doctor's house and he did a tracheotomy but she died in front of everyone anyway. This was in about 2001.

I don't know why people have to be such dicks about it, it seems like the type of shit you'd read on freerepublic.

by Anonymousreply 52March 12, 2011 12:58 AM

I have asthma and if I eat a lot of nuts at one sitting, I begin to choke.

That said... I have an inhaler at the ready, because I LOVE NUTS!

& peanut butter.

by Anonymousreply 53March 12, 2011 1:02 AM

My nephew tried hummus for the first time when he was about a year old. He went into anaphylactic shock immediately and my brother scooped him up and took him to the E.R. The kid has a severe sesame allergy, and he probably won't outgro it. The kid is really adorable and fun and I don't want him to die, so I'm going to be OK with him carrying an Epipen in his diaper bag and with not eating sesame bagels around him.

by Anonymousreply 54March 12, 2011 1:03 AM

R39, I totally agree with the age appropriate cautions. Little kids are not capable of helping themselves here. Our school board assigns aides (ECE students, I think) to supervise kids with the severest allergies.

It's the draconian laws from senior elementary onwards, including high school that bother me. These over zealous allergy moms expect everyone else to be their kids' parents without expecting these kids to be proactive at all.

As someone upthread said, science goes out the window when some soccer mom shouts "Think of the Children!"

I also wonder how many of these women (& they are usually women), despite the real concerns, are not secretly pleased at the attention. Their bourgeois lives now have a *cause* and a *purpose* and they can command a power they didn't have before.

by Anonymousreply 55March 12, 2011 1:11 AM

It's not the peanut allergies folks. It's the sense of entitlement of the parents thinking the entire world should be held hostage to their kids medical conditions. If you are that paranoid either homeschool or open an allergy free school. Fraus like the woman at peanutallergy.com think the world revolves around their child, it doesn't.

by Anonymousreply 56March 12, 2011 1:14 AM

Amen, R56%0D

by Anonymousreply 57March 12, 2011 1:21 AM

[quote]What depresses me is the way the principal is so defensive and makes me feel like I'm battling her and being over-bearing.

Oh, heaven forbid.

by Anonymousreply 58March 12, 2011 1:22 AM

Ditto, R2.

by Anonymousreply 59March 12, 2011 1:25 AM

So r5, you're saying: you knew people once who were exposed to peanuts, and they died.

Well whoop de fucking do.

I know several people who were killed by cars. That doesn't mean I want cars banned in school parking lots.

by Anonymousreply 60March 12, 2011 1:26 AM

40,46,49- Fuck you, cunt. To compare this with AIDS or being gay tells me everything I need to know about you. get off the gay board, homophobe. go masturbate to your fucking Jenny Mccarthy books.

by Anonymousreply 61March 12, 2011 1:42 AM

Maybe there are more allergies today because of all the Frankenfoods out there. When I was a kid peanuts were real. They weren't some kind of genetically engineered shit. On top of that nuts of all kind might be in other foods due to genetic engineering. The more you ingest something the more likely you are to become allergic to it. Would anyone with a fish allergy think not to eat a tomato? Well thanks the fuckers at Monsanto you could very well have fish in your tomatoes these days. %0D %0D It's only going to get worse since today companies like Monsanto have the best friend they've ever had in the White House.%0D

by Anonymousreply 62March 12, 2011 1:51 AM

The pixels in this very photo have the power to KILL!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63March 12, 2011 1:55 AM

Say what you will but I think Mr. Peanut is still a very spiffy dresser.

by Anonymousreply 64March 12, 2011 2:01 AM

Oh, thank you, thank you, thank you, DLers. When I saw this thread title I [italic]knew[/italic] this would be a hysterical thread. You didn't let me down!

by Anonymousreply 65March 12, 2011 2:13 AM

PLEASE! Doesn't anyone realize that my precious little Jaeydun might puff up and DIE if another child contaminated with deadly Skippy peanut butter should suddenly run up to him and french-kiss him?

Won't someone PLEASE think of the children?!?

by Anonymousreply 66March 12, 2011 2:26 AM

i'm old, and i'm extremely allergic to watermelon (kindly, no jokes please). i would be in a lot of pain as i ate it as a child, but loved it anyway. the reactions got steadily worse, so i avoided it. nowadays just a drop of watermelon juice landing on a chip at a cook-out will send me to the hospital.%0D %0D (people who are extremely allergic to ragweed can have a cross-reaction with watermelon.)

by Anonymousreply 67March 12, 2011 2:26 AM

Aww pumpkin. I'm allergic to wheat. I share your pain. %0D %0D NO I DON'T HAVE FIBRO you DL shitheads. Sheesh.%0D %0D The regularly posted 'food allergy is bullshit' thread is like chum to the DL sharks. There is one posted a month.

by Anonymousreply 68March 12, 2011 2:34 AM

[quote]I'm allergic to wheat. Have you tried a 3-way?

by Anonymousreply 69March 12, 2011 2:37 AM

They always smile ... before they KILL.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70March 12, 2011 2:43 AM

R68 any thread with veiled misogyny is chum to DL sharks. Allergies are a means to an end.

No, I'm not the Anti-Misogyny Troll.

by Anonymousreply 71March 12, 2011 2:47 AM

It's hardly veiled. These threads are all about how women have ruined school and society and children forever and ever and they should die along with their kids.

by Anonymousreply 72March 12, 2011 2:53 AM

"It's become absurd. every other kid has ADD or ADHD and is on Ritalin."

A lot of it is because parents need to be coddled and no longer just accept that their children are defective or less-than-perfect. EVERYTHING is a disease attacking from OUTSIDE their child.

by Anonymousreply 73March 12, 2011 2:54 AM

[quote]Kids have been eating peanut butter and jelly sandwiches forever. WTF is going on the past few years that no one can eat peanuts anymore? Genetically modified food, mixed with chemicals and additives have fucked up our system.

by Anonymousreply 74March 12, 2011 2:58 AM

No, R73. The disease is calling from IN THE HOUSE!%0D %0D Always is.%0D %0D What this country needs is some good, old fashioned nuns who will kick the shit out of these spoiled brats.

by Anonymousreply 75March 12, 2011 2:59 AM

I had very bad asthma attacks as a child. I went to the allergist and was allergic to milk, corn, all trees, grass, mold, pollen, all animals with fur, you get the drift. I was raised with cats and dogs, mostly strays. My family are animal lovers. And I love corn. The allergist said I couldn't eat corn and we needed to get rid of the pets or at least make them live outside. My mom and I just looked at each other and when we got in the car we laughed about getting rid of the pets. That was not going to happen. I got allergy shots until I was in high school and got tired of going to the doctor every week, but other than that I ate ice cream, corn products, played in the grass, and had numerous cats and dogs living in the house. I am so glad my mom didn't give a shit about what he said or I would be an adult now clutching my throat at every little allergen. Sometimes you just gotta live and chill out. I think alot of people who have all these allergies I have who just can not get anywhere near this stuff would not be as allergic if they would chill out. And get near the stuff and build up some tolerance. I read this thread with my huge, husky/rough collie mix and several cats sitting on the sofa with me as I ate Ben & Jerry's Karamel Sutra ice cream. I highly recommend the ice cream. There are just some things in life I am not going to give up.

by Anonymousreply 76March 12, 2011 3:03 AM

But if women die along with their children then WHERE WILL ALL THE TWINKS COME FROM.

by Anonymousreply 77March 12, 2011 3:05 AM

The prevalence of ADHD is because kids are not taught to SIT DOWN AND SHUT UP. While I believe that some children do suffer from ADHD, most kids have just not learned how to behave by the time they start school. Ritalin and Adderall are the last refuge of bad parents. As soon as they can secure a diagnosis of ADHD in their precious spawn, they are vindicated. THEY are not to blame for their brat's bad behaviour, little precious has a disorder. Let's drug 'em up and make little Judys of them all.

by Anonymousreply 78March 12, 2011 3:26 AM

No one is denying there are such things as food allergies. What they're making fun of the parents' overwrought hysteria. Even if your child has a SEVERE peanut allergy, why should that necessitate the prohibition of all food whatsoever (not just peanuts) from the classroom as claimed in the OP's clip, or that all the children in the classroom have to wash their hands thoroughly and rinse out their mouths several times a day? Are you REALLY claiming the allergic child's parents are in the right by insisting upon these extreme measures from a public school? Doesn't this strike you as hysterically excessive?

by Anonymousreply 79March 12, 2011 3:27 AM

Speaking of drugging them up, why are so many adults (including half the people here) so medicated? When I was a kid people dealt with their problems like adults and didn't need drugs to cope with every emotion.

by Anonymousreply 80March 12, 2011 3:33 AM

When I used to substitute teach, I remember several occasions in the staff room where we would laugh at modern bullshit like peanut allergies. That particular district actually had a prohibition in the student handbook warning against bringing any peanut containing substances onto campus in the same sentence as weapons, drugs and gang attire.

by Anonymousreply 81March 12, 2011 3:33 AM

r80 It was much more socially acceptable to drink and smoke in those days. They didn't need all the meds.

by Anonymousreply 82March 12, 2011 3:37 AM

If they should die they better do it and decrease the surplus population!

by Anonymousreply 83March 12, 2011 3:43 AM

Airlines seem to have started serving them again.

by Anonymousreply 84March 12, 2011 3:53 AM

[quote]No one is denying there are such things as food allergies. What they're making fun of the parents' overwrought hysteria. Even if your child has a SEVERE peanut allergy, why should that necessitate the prohibition of all food whatsoever (not just peanuts) from the classroom as claimed in the OP's clip, or that all the children in the classroom have to wash their hands thoroughly and rinse out their mouths several times a day?

Bingo, r79. You win a peanut!

The airline situation is the most ridiculous. If a peanut molecule could really kill a child, most parents wouldn't dream of taking a chance of climbing on a plane where peanuts had been served; it would be too risky. Instead, the drill goes:

1) try to get peanuts banned from the airline

2) failing that, try to get peanuts banned from the flight

3) failing that, try to get the attendant to make an announcement and establish a "peanut free zone" of several rows around the child (as if a few feet would do anything)

4) wipe down everything with antibacterial cloths, etc., as if that will slay any stray peanut molecule

5) go online after the experience and huff and puff about it

If this sort of anaphylaxis was as common as they say it is, there would be children dying every year on airplanes. There aren't.

If this sort of anaphylaxis was possible, most parents wouldn't fly with peanut-death children. They simply wouldn't take the chance.

If this sort of anaphylaxis was even remotely possible (as opposed to micro-infinitesimally possible), airlines would ban peanuts themselves to stave off any possible lawsuits.

So the airlines go through the kabuki dance of mollifying the peanut parents rather than expose themselves to bad publicity and potentially lose customers.

by Anonymousreply 85March 12, 2011 3:58 AM

R71= biggest sexist on DL and only brings up misogyny when he can't argue the issue on its merits.

R82= thinks that drinking is no longer socially acceptable; funniest post on DL ever. Also, has no grasp on reality.

by Anonymousreply 86March 12, 2011 3:59 AM

"No one is denying there are such things as food allergies. What they're making fun of the parents' overwrought hysteria" BINGO. Yes, people have always been allergic to nuts. Now MOST children, according to their mothers, are allergic to nuts. 10 bucks says if the shit hit the fan and the U.S. was plunged into chaos this silliness would stop and these fraus would be begging for any sustinence for their children. Another case of Diseases of the Comfortable.

by Anonymousreply 87March 12, 2011 4:19 AM

Don't get me started on the constant wiping down and disinfecting everything. These little entitled brats run around like monsters, undisciplined and thinking that the world revolves around them. All of the parties now for my adult, friends are family oriented bore fests. It was bad enough with the straights, but now the gays are adopting and what used to be fun parties have turned into parties with a bunch of white gay men and a rainbow coalition of their overindulged kids. "Leticia is taking tap." "Our Barrington is gifted." "Little Lucy can speak in her native Bantu language, plus Russian and Spanish." "Miles plays soccer, kick ball, and paints like Warhol."

by Anonymousreply 88March 12, 2011 4:33 AM

"What this country needs is some good, old fashioned nuns who will kick the shit out of these spoiled brats."%0D %0D %0D And I'm sure lots of Americans think we need nuns to "kick the shit out of" gay kids, too. You must be a conservative, with your lack of empathy. Having a serious allergy doesn't make you a brat%0D %0D %0D "Now MOST children, according to their mothers, are allergic to nuts."%0D %0D %0D Of course you don't have any statistics to prove that MOST mothers say their children are allergic to nuts.%0D %0D %0D "When I was a kid people dealt with their problems like adults and didn't need drugs to cope with every emotion."%0D %0D %0D Don't you love how conservative pretend everything was perfect in the past? My own stepfather was an abusive monster and a desperately unhappy man. He certainly didn't deal with his problems like an adult.%0D %0D %0D %0D %0D %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 89March 12, 2011 5:11 AM

"It was much more socially acceptable to drink and smoke in those days. They didn't need all the meds."%0D %0D %0D %0D Yeah, let's encourage people to drink themselves into a stupor to forget about their problems! And then get all kinds of health problems from smoking all the time. %0D %0D %0D "The prevalence of ADHD is because kids are not taught to SIT DOWN AND SHUT UP"%0D %0D %0D Of course you don't have any evidence for this claim. This is the kind of reasoning that conservatives use.%0D %0D %0D %0D "While I believe that some children do suffer from ADHD, most kids have just not learned how to behave by the time they start school. Ritalin and Adderall are the last refuge of bad parents"%0D %0D %0D You're an asshole for calling people who have kids with ADHD "bad parents." There was a time when people thought homosexuality was caused by bad parenting. Some kids NEED ritalin.

by Anonymousreply 90March 12, 2011 5:15 AM

OP is the same "I hate fraus and kids" queen. He has a hatred for woman who produce children. I wonder why? Maybe it has something to do with the fact that he's angry that he's gay and can't have children? Or maybe he was picked on as a child for his queeniness? This guy is fucked up.

by Anonymousreply 91March 12, 2011 5:19 AM

Some kids need ritalin, most kids improve with behavior modification. Unfortunately, for some parents, behavior modification is much too difficult as they are unable to set boundaries nor have self-awareness re: the role they play in their child's problem behavior.%0D %0D I have no problem believing that there is a biological component to inattention and hyperactivity BUT there is serious overdiagnosis re: ADHD. Also, parents should be encouraged to try out behavioral methods before they place their child on drugs or as an added method to help change the impulsivity, hyperactivity and lack of focus. %0D %0D I've seen a number of very committed parents work successfully utilizing other modalities of treatment when they have a child with an impulse control or behavioral disorder. Sadly, overdiagnosis and medication is an easy out for some.

by Anonymousreply 92March 12, 2011 5:34 AM

R89 and R90 are the same person. She's on a rampage, trying to draw people into naming statistics while her best frau friends rely on no such statistics to declare their children "super special" and "allergic to everything".

Here's the cure, which has sustained human civilization for 1000s of years - LET YOUNG KIDS PLAY OUTSIDE. Let them play with other children. They get exposed and get immunity. This has worked for THOUSANDS of years. Case. Closed.

ALL of this hysteria is based on a need to get attention. For a while, it was the psychological problems faced by the housewife (see the film "Safe" with Julianne Moore. Seriously). When that went out of fashion, it turned into children with an allergy to everything and anything that could be of use to make a mother look MORE protective and MORE motherly than their peers/competitors.

The PEANUT has been a staple of the human diet for centuries. Why is it now blasphemous to claim that children with a peanut allergy either (A) don't have one (B) develop one because they're kept in a plastic bubble or (C) they're the one in a million person who actually is born with said allergy.

by Anonymousreply 93March 12, 2011 5:39 AM

I'm sure it sucks to have a deadly allergy. Equally, I'm sure I never want to meet r46/r49/r89/r90's monster kid.

by Anonymousreply 94March 12, 2011 6:10 AM

"Safe" is a brilliant movie. I'm not sure if R93 was addressing it positively or negatively.

Do kids in England and China have peanut allergies? I was under the impression it was just a North American thing. The Japanese don't have a native word for "allergy", they use an english loanword, because it's a foreign concept, although they are getting more pollen allergies there now.

by Anonymousreply 95March 12, 2011 6:22 AM

The problem is doctors telling parents their children are allergic to peanuts, when in fact they are not. Sure, there are some kids that are allergic, but the majority went to the doctor with hives at one point and the doctor claiming it was due to a peanut allergy because the child had a P&J that day or the day before. For what ever reason (too much effort, insurance issues, short on personnel- lack of qualified lab techs and or equipment) They do not run the proper test to ensure that they are in fact actually allergic to peanut butter. This happened to my niece. She had a bad allergic reaction to something and was rushed to the ER, no blood work was done, just an IV to flush out her system, and prescription benadryl, the ER doctor asked if she had eaten any peanut butter lately, my sister in law said yes and he immediately stated that was what did it, so they threw out anything that contained nuts. I thought it was strange to diagnose a patient as allergic to something she had eaten the day before with no problems, and did not run the proper blood work. Months later I went to the doctor myself for a spider bite and was given prescription benadryl. When she was at my house, I decided to allow her a small taste of peanut butter, I had the prescription benadryl and was prepared to call 911, plus I live close to a hospital. I waited and checked her skin frequently and nothing happened. I told my sister in law who at first freaked out, but my brother took up for me and said it would be best to actually know FOR SURE what she was actually allergic to. He gave her a P&J even though my sister in law was freaked, and as expected nothing happened, she was fine. Later we discoverd what had caused the reaction, she had another reaction after wearing a faux fur lined coat that my sister in law had bought for her that year, she had wore it the day of the last reaction, it had not been cleaned before wearing so it could have been a chemical they used on the coat or the fibers, it was a coat bought at Walmart of course, and my brother took it back and told management they should pull them from the shelves which I doubt they did. The good thing that came of this is my sister in law will never buy her clothes at walmart anymore, and my niece can enjoy her P&J's.

by Anonymousreply 96March 12, 2011 7:00 AM

This thread inspired me to read the New Yorker's recent article on food allergies. Apparently they are growing in England but are all but unheard of in Israel and Asia. Jewish kids in London have way more allergies than similar jewish kids in Tel Aviv. The theory posited in the article is a mix of the "hygiene theory" (kids should be dirtier), backlash against earlier recommendations that parents avoid exposing their kids to potential allergens until they're over a year old, and exposure to food oils in the environment through ointments, etc. Apparently most jewish kids in Israel eat lots of peanut snacks as babies, which apparently helps them not be allergic. One of the doctors recommended exposing allergic kids to the allergens in altered forms, like baked good for milk allergies.

by Anonymousreply 97March 12, 2011 7:02 AM

"I decided to allow her a small taste of peanut butter"%0D %0D An incredibly stupid thing to do, R96.

by Anonymousreply 98March 12, 2011 9:15 AM

Oh R67 I heart you! I love watermelon!

by Anonymousreply 99March 12, 2011 12:06 PM

[quote]parents avoid exposing their kids to potential allergens until they're over a year old%0D %0D Is that what they are telling them now? My mother would let us try whatever she and Dad were eating as soon as we were off the bottle. Obviously we ate baby food but if we wanted a taste she let us and, yes, this included peanut butter of which mom was a big fan. I think I had a PB&J every day of my life when I was growing up. I still eat them once in awhile. With a big glass of milk and Lays potato chips.

by Anonymousreply 100March 12, 2011 1:46 PM

"Off the bottle?" R100. Thanks for the laugh.

by Anonymousreply 101March 12, 2011 1:52 PM

Interesting R93. Could be true too with all these women who feel special because they spawned and before I am accused of misogyny I'm a woman and had a kid but I didn't ever think it made me special. It's a natural biological function.

by Anonymousreply 102March 12, 2011 1:52 PM

R91 I am OP and I am a girl.

by Anonymousreply 103March 12, 2011 1:54 PM

R101, no one breastfed back then and some women drank and smoked during pregnancy too. It's amazing we all lived isn't it?

by Anonymousreply 104March 12, 2011 1:56 PM

ADHD is so overdiagnosed that now bad parenting can be blamed on a disorder. There was a case back a few years ago of a family of two women with brats in tow who were kicked off a flight. The kids were disruptive and running up and down the aisles. All of them, according to mom, had ADHD. Really? ALL OF THEM? Mom was fat white trash and the kids were undisciplined hellions. When I was kid ADHD was cured by a good spanking at home by Mom. We didn't dare act up in school because what we got from the parents was worse.

by Anonymousreply 105March 12, 2011 2:03 PM

r86 You misquote, dear. I said it was "more socially acceptable". As a matter of degree, it was much more acceptable to drink to excess 30-40 yrs ago than it is in American society now. You really need to learn to read other peoples words if you feel the need to respond to them. You may also want to work on that sense of humor.

by Anonymousreply 106March 12, 2011 2:43 PM

I agree with r93.

by Anonymousreply 107March 12, 2011 2:51 PM

Speaking of getting infants off the bottle, an aunt remedied my cousin's teething pain by rubbing his gums with rye. He LOVED it, she claimed.%0D %0D I totally forgot about this until I read that line.%0D %0D He never got a peanut allergy, but he is a bartender and an alcoholic.

by Anonymousreply 108March 12, 2011 3:54 PM

Parents are supposed to know so much more now. Early testing in the womb. They know about lactose and gluten and peanuts. Yet these kids are such fragile flowers. Something doesn't add up and I don't believe for a second that it's chemicals in food.

by Anonymousreply 109March 12, 2011 4:09 PM

R91, YOU are fucked up. And an idiot.%0D

by Anonymousreply 110March 12, 2011 4:30 PM

Reply 89.

" My own stepfather was an abusive monster and a desperately unhappy man."

I see the apple does not fall far from the step tree.

by Anonymousreply 111March 12, 2011 5:18 PM

[quote]All of them, according to mom, had ADHD. Really? ALL OF THEM?

Research indicates it can be genetically based, so why not?

[quote]Mom was fat white trash and the kids were undisciplined hellions. When I was kid ADHD was cured by a good spanking at home by Mom. We didn't dare act up in school because what we got from the parents was worse.

And you grew up ignorant and hateful, so I would't exactly recommend that tactic, either.

by Anonymousreply 112March 12, 2011 6:26 PM

This thread is littered with white fems.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 113March 12, 2011 6:33 PM

[quote]Early testing in the womb. They know about lactose and gluten and peanuts.

This is why abortion should remain legal and abundant. No kid who can't do something as simple as eat a peanut butter and jelly sandwich with a glass of milk should be brought into this world.

by Anonymousreply 114March 12, 2011 6:41 PM

Oh, and that New Yorker article also suggested that when parents chew up food and then feed it to their kids pre-chewed, the transfer of the saliva might help the kids develop tolerances for the food proteins. This is apparently a much more common practice in China than in the US nowadays.

by Anonymousreply 115March 12, 2011 6:43 PM

Don't dicount the possibility of Munchausen-by-Proxy in these cases. This would be the ideal ailment that would give needy mommies the attention they crave.

by Anonymousreply 116March 12, 2011 6:52 PM

As someone said earlier, a lot of people don't know the difference between an allergy and an intolerance.%0D %0D When I worked in a cafe, which served mostly salads, we had a semi-regular customer who's opening line would always be "I'm allergic to tomatoes". And each time she's complain that she didn't get any of the roasted vegetables ("But I can eat them if they're cooked") or the pasta salad ("But I can eat them if they're chopped up small") until one day someone had enough and gave her cherry tomatoes. She started to complain and my colleague said "You'll be able to eat them if you chew them first". She never made a fuss after that.%0D %0D I don't dispute for a second that there are some kids and adults who have serious allergies that could result in harm if they're introduced to peanuts, coconut, whatever, but some people seem to think everyone else should change their customs first rather than manage it themselves.%0D

by Anonymousreply 117March 12, 2011 7:09 PM

I agree that a lot of these "food allergies" probably do have more to do with the way food is produced and processed than the foods themselves. As for peanut butter, of course that was a classic children's food, but we didn't eat that much of it. We'd eat all sorts of things in sandwiches that would be considered totally unacceptable today--baloney, salami, pickle and olive loaf, cheese, liverwurst, tuna salad, egg salad, and leftover ham and chicken and turkey and roast beef (I mean real leftovers, not the meat particle board you get in deli packages.)

by Anonymousreply 118March 12, 2011 8:21 PM

Having taught in public schools, both city and suburban, for 25 years, I've noticed frequent connections between allergies and dysfunction. In my experience, suburban cases outnumber city cases by at least 4 to 1, and the parents ARE often entitled, demanding assholes whom the schools wish would just disappear. The poster who said these kids need some old fashioned nuns to beat the shit out of them is not too far off the mark. So many kids really can't sit down and shut up unless they're at a playstation. They can't accept delayed gratification. They were never taught to or expected to, and I believe this lack of self-discipline and control causes a lot of anxiety in kids - and who knows what else. Parent your kid and punish him when he needs it. You're not his fucking friend. Get rid of (or severely limit) the video games, the computer, tv and cell phone. and take the little fucker OUTSIDE to play. Rake leaves and jump in the pile. Make a snowman. Catch bugs. Run under the sprinkler. Dig up worms and go fishing somewhere. Do a scavenger hunt. Get a tent and camp out- even in the back yard. Go to the zoo. Get dirty. None of these things are expensive. They just take TIME and effort, neither of which you can spare.

by Anonymousreply 119March 13, 2011 5:43 AM

I recently attended a dinner party hosted by a dear friend of mine. My friend is a 5 star chief and has prepared meals for a number of celebrity clients including Julie Andrews and Martha Stewart. Among the guests were a 35ish mother and her 12 year old daughter. Within minutes of arriving this woman turned the dinner party into a mad scramble to accommodate her daughters seemingly endless food considerations. She couldn't eat this,she couldn't eat that..ect. My friend, being a wonderful host basically had to create an entirely different meal for this hot house orchid. It was a nightmare. What was most annoying was the fact that this woman did not seem to take anything into consideration other then her own demands ! She seemed to expect her needs to be met without question. After dinner a large selection of desserts were set up on a side table . We were shocked to see the delicate child gorging herself on cream cakes , chocolate nut brownies and countless complicated treats seemingly without any considerations. She was in full view of her mother who did not even raise an eyebrow....

by Anonymousreply 120March 13, 2011 7:25 AM

R96 is a psychopath. Seriously. Your S-I-L should not let you alone with your niece.%0D %0D Those advocating the disciplinary tactics of nuns either were never in that situation or don't remember what it was like. I do. Most of them took out their frustrations and problems on the kids. Their weird hang ups, too. You had no recourse against them either because of course the parents always took their side.%0D %0D Furthermore, we had kids with obvious learning disablilities back then, too. They were called stupid and retarded by adults and their classmates, got no help, and eventually dropped out of school. %0D %0D Times have changed. Doing stuff outdoors and simple things just don't hold appeal for kids. I think it's sad, too, but that's how it is.%0D %0D I was the one that mentioned upthread about adults medicating themselves. If we were all raised so much better, why are we all so unhappy now?

by Anonymousreply 121March 13, 2011 7:45 AM

R-98 & 121= Hysteric pearl cluthing fraus. My hunch proved 100% correct and now we know EXACTLY what caused it. She ate the p&j a day before the first episode so I called bullshit on the doctors half assed diagnose, I had prescription benadryl and live less than 8 min from a hospital, she did not have any trouble breathing at the last episode, and I do know CPR, so she was, and is absolutely 100% fine. So fuck off and go back to IVillage.

BTW- Anyone notice that these same moms that insist their children are so allergic to nut products that their child cannot be in the same room with anything that contains nuts, have no problems taking their kids to grocery stores where they sell the offending products?

by Anonymousreply 122March 13, 2011 3:02 PM

I had nuns discipline me and I am fine. It's not like they tortured us. They just made us do what we were supposed to do in class. And shut up and sit down. Not that they used those words.%0D %0D I remember visiting my sister and her insisting that my nephew could study and do his homework with the radio on. I told her she was nuts and that you can't focus with that kind of distraction. %0D %0D And it is so true that kids can be patient and non-ADHD when it comes to something they really want to do. I can understand a bit how enjoying something can make you pay attention but it shouldn'tmake the ADHD go away completely. Reminiscent of my sister in law always getting a migraine when she didn't get her way or wasn't the center of attention or my friend who supposedly had agoraphobia except for the places she really wanted to go - the hair dresser, the tanning salon, the dress shop, the movies, the beach and restaurants, the hockey games at giant arenas, LOL!%0D %0D How convenient.

by Anonymousreply 123March 13, 2011 5:16 PM

R112 if it's genetic then they should not be passing along their defective genes and I'm not hateful if the Mom WAS fat, white trash, which was obvious as soon as she opened her ignorant mouth. I call them as I see them. Sorry if your frau sensibilities are offended.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 124March 13, 2011 5:41 PM

I think some people can become desensitized to peanut allergies. I was very allergic to peanuts and chocolate when I was I was growing up. Not to the point that my throat closed up like the kids they are talking about, but if I%E2%80%99d eat peanuts or chocolate within 3-4 hrs I%E2%80%99d have this horrid cough that would last 7-10 days. I%E2%80%99d cough so hard I could barely breathe, I%E2%80%99d usually cough so hard I%E2%80%99d throw up. A couple times I coughed so hard I peed my pants. My mom always knew why I was coughing like that, but being a kid I would never give up sneak eating chocolate or peanut butter. As I got older I learned that I could get away with eating only eat a little bit of chocolate or peanut butter at a time. Over the years I%E2%80%99ve increased how much I ate of the dreaded peanuts and chocolate. Now, close to 50, I can eat all the chocolate I want,but I%E2%80%99m still kinda careful with peanuts, but I can eat a peanut butter sandwich if I want. I just have to be carefull that my allergies to outdoors stuff isn%E2%80%99t acting up, or if I have a cold I can%E2%80%99t eat peanuts aat all because something in peanut butter when I%E2%80%99m sick will bring back that horrible cough. Not saying that anyone should do this, just that I have.

by Anonymousreply 125June 3, 2011 3:07 PM

Toxins, crappy nutrition, double to triple vaccines on kids(from when we were kids), and genetic biology. Saw the horrific effect of vaccines on my teenager after 3 gardasil vaccines. Hasn't been the same since and is dealing with various medical issues after being perfectly healthy and an athlete. Some of you may have read about the dramatic change in a toddler after multiple vaccines. Well, after watching what happened to my daughter and about 10 other girls I've met in the area, I'm convinced vaccines can be very harmful- with the overloading of our immune system and with the neuro-toxins of aluminum adjuncts. Also molecular mimicry of the body attacking similar proteins to what was vaccinated against. Flame away -but first read some of the comments of the link's book.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126June 3, 2011 6:40 PM

I don't understand why so many people were willing to sign up their kids to be Gardasil guinea pigs. I seriously don't. The debacle shows how shallow 'helicopter parenting' really is.%0D %0D Even a cursory scanning of MSM articles about it was enough to know it was (is) a dangerous scam not at all justified by facts/statistics.%0D

by Anonymousreply 127June 3, 2011 7:19 PM

That asshole Rick Perry signed an executive order requiring all girls in TX to be vaccinated with Gardasil at 16. Of course, his former chief of staff was working for Merck (Gardasil's maker) as a lobbyist in TX and they made a donation to his campaign.

by Anonymousreply 128June 3, 2011 7:50 PM

My daughter died of anaflactic shock in ambulance because one of her classmates parents decided to break the rules and give her kid a peanut butter cookie. She was 6 years old. You should all be ashamed of yourselves you intolerant bigots. I lost my daughter because of people like you.

by Anonymousreply 129December 27, 2011 3:31 PM

LMAO @ R129!

by Anonymousreply 130December 27, 2011 3:56 PM

I have a friend who's in his mid 30's and he is allergic to tree nuts. The type where he ends up in the ER if he eats any amount of nuts. So it's not just the "kids nowadays."

But yeah, growing in the 80's we didn't know shit about this stuff. Never heard much about it.

I taught English in Japan where kids all ate lunch provided by the school district. Everyone, including teachers and school staff ate the same food. When I asked what did the kids with allergies eat, I was told no one had food allergies. Everyone was expected to eat the school lunch.

I think there's probably some happy medium with Japan and the US when it comes to food allergies.

by Anonymousreply 131December 27, 2011 4:10 PM

[quote] My daughter died of anaflactic shock

Really? Something tells me that if your daughter died of anaphylaxis you'd know how to spell it. Back to iVillage for you.

by Anonymousreply 132December 27, 2011 5:34 PM

Why am I suddenly seeing a lot of old threads being resurrected?

by Anonymousreply 133December 27, 2011 5:36 PM

Does anyone ever get the urge to spit some chewed peanuts in these kids mouths?

by Anonymousreply 134December 27, 2011 6:02 PM

If your child does have a nut allergy, then why not try some exposure therapy in order to desensitize? If it works and the kid can eat peanut butter after a couple years or so, then at least it frees him up from a lifetime of avoiding nuts altogether (or worrying about unknown exposure).

That being said, how many kids naturally grow out of allergies like this? I ask because my mom remembers her brother getting reactions to eating cucumbers, strawberries and something else, but now he can eat them no problem.

by Anonymousreply 135December 27, 2011 6:13 PM

OP, have you thought that maybe a little exposure to rat poison is good for you?

To these people's immune system, peanuts are just like rat poison. The same for celiac people with gluten.

OP, you need to brush up some basic human biology, then, perhaps a little bit sympathy while you are at it.

by Anonymousreply 136December 27, 2011 6:20 PM

At Halloween, I tried to find chocolate candy without nuts and it was difficult. Reese's peanut butter cups, Reese's pieces, Snickers, Almond Joy, Mars bars, etc were everywhere. I tried to find plain hershey bars but they only had hershey's bites which were a mixed bag of various Hershey bars including Mr Goodbar, which had nuts.

I guess the non-nut candy sells out fast.

by Anonymousreply 137December 27, 2011 7:01 PM

[quote] Back to iVillage for you

Sharp as a butter knife, aren't you?

by Anonymousreply 138December 27, 2011 7:07 PM

Did anybody think that our system is being fucked with by chemicals in food and medicine?

by Anonymousreply 139December 27, 2011 7:15 PM

R136, perhaps YOU need to brush up on your understanding of peanut allergies. Peanut allergies are almost unheard of in Asia, where peanut oil and peanuts are included in the diet from early on.

It's only found in kids from fastidious Western parents who are worried about encountering it and keep peanuts out of their kid's diet during the period their immune systems are adjusting to their environment. The hysteria causes the disease.

by Anonymousreply 140December 27, 2011 7:20 PM

Exactly, R139. I'm not going to make fun of kids who have these allergies because everything is different. Our govt is so lax when it comes to protecting consumers that they've allowed so much shit to get into the food supply that it's fucking with kids.

Why do you think more girls are getting their menstrual cycles at an earlier age?

by Anonymousreply 141December 27, 2011 7:21 PM

Monsanto or big Pharma is probably to blame. Yet it's so much funner to attack heterosexual parents.

by Anonymousreply 142December 27, 2011 7:33 PM

R2 nailed it, I have a friend that actually is very allergic to peanuts and one time as a teenager I was with him when he accidentally ate a piece of candy that had a peanut in it and he had to be given medication immediately since his throat was closing up and he could not breathe.

Another time he ate some Japanese or Chinese food that he'd asked if it was cooked in peanut oil and the workers at the restaurant said no and he felt his throat closing up and he couldn't breathe and he had to be rushed to the ER and given medications.

by Anonymousreply 143December 27, 2011 7:38 PM

Because, r135, if it doesn't work, the kid will be dead.

And what do you say, r140, about an infant (less than 6 months old) who went into anaphylactic shock the first time she was given a taste of peanut butter? That same child is nearly 30 and just as allergic to peanuts now as she was as an infant.

While I agree that there are definitely some hysterical, over-protective parents out there, there are also an increasing number of children with genuine, life-threatening allergies. Have a little respect for those kids who have to be on the alert every second of every day for something that might kill them. They didn't ask for these allergies, but they have to live with them.

by Anonymousreply 144December 27, 2011 7:38 PM

Thins the herd.

by Anonymousreply 145December 27, 2011 7:43 PM

Under a doctor's supervision, R144.

by Anonymousreply 146December 27, 2011 7:55 PM

[quote]My daughter died of anaflactic shock in ambulance because one of her classmates parents decided to break the rules and give her kid a peanut butter cookie. She was 6 years old.

If she was 6, then she didn't die from being fed a peanut butter cookie - she died from not knowing how to say no to it.

But since this didn't really happen, the point is moot.

by Anonymousreply 147December 27, 2011 8:11 PM

[quote]To these people's immune system, peanuts are just like rat poison. The same for celiac people with gluten.

Celiac isn't quite the same as an allergy. It's cumulative, so the more gluten someone is exposed to, the more damage they will experience.

by Anonymousreply 148December 27, 2011 8:15 PM

I think a serious tardation goes hand in hand with this *disease*.

by Anonymousreply 149December 27, 2011 8:18 PM

R140, what you said is so not true. I travel to China at least once every year. I personally know a couple of locals with peanut allergy.

Or, perhaps you think they are just lying to me?

by Anonymousreply 150December 27, 2011 9:50 PM

R150, I don't they're lying, but I don't put much stock in anecdotal evidence, and neither should you. Better to rely on the science.

"For example, peanut allergy is rare in Asian countries even where peanuts are commonly part of the diet. The basis of this difference is not understood, although the most common method of preparation of peanuts, boiled in Asia versus roasted in the U.S., may be a contributor (Chung et al., 2003)."

I found this part really interesting:

In one example, the rate of peanut allergy in a school-aged cohort of Israeli Jewish children was 0.17% compared to 1.85% in Jewish children in the United Kingdom. The 10-fold difference between the children in the Israel versus U.K. may be explained by the fact that Israeli infants (8-14 months of age) routinely consume peanut protein (7.1 g) whereas the Jewish infants in U.K. homes do not (0 g) (Du Toit et al., 2008). A case-control study conducted in the U.K. found that early oral exposure to peanut in infants with high environmental peanut exposure may contribute to a protective effect against the development of peanut allergy and that there was no effect of maternal peanut consumption during pregnancy or lactation with the development peanut allergy (Fox et al., 2009). In both of these studies, the prevalence of peanut allergy correlated with the environment and not with genetic predilection.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151December 27, 2011 10:10 PM

These threads always make me a little uncomfortable. While Lord knows I am the first one to poke fun at overbearing fraus, some kids out there do have genuine peanut allergies. My little cousin is one of them. Trust me, her parents are NOT the annoying overbearing "my child is special" type, not in the slightest. Allergies don't run on either side of the family. NOBODY has a food allergy.

But this poor kid has a peanut allergy and has issues with dairy. My aunt didn't do anything weird when pregnant with her, didn't do anything "new agey" or whatever. I blame the food itself, the additives, etc. I mean, it has to be SOMETHING.

by Anonymousreply 152December 27, 2011 10:34 PM

Eat more DIRT.

by Anonymousreply 153December 27, 2011 10:45 PM

I think the thread you want is " A magical place where every child has his or her own unique food allergy!", Datalounge, April 2011.

In there, we met Lunatic Militant Allergy Frau, whose manifesto was titled I WILL NOT SEND IN SAFE TREATS:

[quote]If I send in safe treats for both my sons, it gives them an out for excluding them. The teacher, the school, the parents..... they all don't have to worry, feel guilty, care, etc., as long as we give them an out....I feel that their teachers should have to look at my children, while they sit there, not being able to partake in what they allow to come through their doors. I also feel that the parents & students who want to bring in unsafe foods should also have to look at my children. They all should know that they are knowingly excluding my children. Sending in a safe treat already sets them apart. They won't be getting the same thing, or be able to be part of the so called sharing that people want to do when they bring in junk food. So why should I make it easier for them?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154December 28, 2011 5:28 AM

Oh, that thread also had The Terror of the Stray Goldfish Cracker at the Park:

[quote]All we want is to let our kids be kids, and its sometimes hard to do that when we have to be on the lookout for things like, say a stray goldfish cracker at the park. One of the saddest experiences we had was when we took our kids to the park, and there was ice cream that had spilled and been smeared all over the slide. It was there in smaller amounts all over the play structure, and we had to leave.

by Anonymousreply 155December 28, 2011 5:45 AM

You were just saying? I guess it wasn't obvious that you said something by saying it. What a worthless phrase.

by Anonymousreply 156May 28, 2012 4:55 PM

YOU Philistine!!! Go Educate yourself about Food Allergies you TWAT!!

Ignorance enrages me & it's idiots like you that make up the bulk of our Society!

I'm in my late 30's and have NO choice about being a Coeliac & having anaphylactic reaction to Nuts, it's life changing and debilitating. I do hope one day you experience this!!

by Anonymousreply 157June 3, 2012 3:09 AM

My little boy (4) has a severe peanut allergy. I found out when he was 1, when I showing him off down the pub after finishing a beer and packet of nuts. He was lucky to live. I’m gutted. I used to think allergies where a sign of weakness, something to do with not playing around in dirt, being fussy about food or the preserve of the pushy middle classes. Rest a shored NONE of the above applies to me and my little boy’s situation. There is a lot of completely fucked-up theories and spite knocking around on this blog that amounts to a whole lot of BULLSHIT.

by Anonymousreply 158July 2, 2012 7:06 PM

[quote]My little boy (4) has a severe peanut allergy. I found out when he was 1, when I showing him off down the pub after finishing a beer and packet of nuts. He was lucky to live.

If you'd brought a baby to my local pub, you both would have been lucky to live.

by Anonymousreply 159July 2, 2012 7:43 PM

'If you'd brought a baby to my local pub, you both would have been lucky to live'.

Would'nt be seen dead there thanks -tuff nuts haha.

by Anonymousreply 160July 2, 2012 9:04 PM

who cares about people with food allergies

by Anonymousreply 161July 2, 2012 9:15 PM

I know this is over 6 months old, but...

"Why do you think more girls are getting their menstrual cycles at an earlier age?"

Because they are fat. Not "things getting into the food supply." Food getting into girls.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162July 2, 2012 9:44 PM

To the asshole who posted this first..i hope your children or some one you love dies..dies a painful death ..i just buried someone..

by Anonymousreply 163July 16, 2012 6:18 AM

This is a suburban white kid only problem; the newest trend.

by Anonymousreply 164July 16, 2012 6:35 AM

I read recently where kids who consumed only breast milk for the first 6 months of life had a much greater chance of a developing a nut allergy so that might be somewhat of a key to it. Goes right along with the hot house flower theory mentioned and why there are so many more kids with nut allergies. Kids used to get some cereal and fruit, even veggies before they were 6 months old (mine did anyway) but now only mother's milk will do. Well, looks like maybe not the best idea.

by Anonymousreply 165July 16, 2012 10:39 AM

I did my dissertation (partly) on peanut allergies (I've posted before). I do have a lot of sympathy for legit food allergies, but some of it is just hysteria and attention seeking from the parent and personally I think real allergy sufferers should be angry at those people for giving them all a bad name.

It is physically impossible to have a anaphylactic reaction to peanuts other than by direct ingestion - the allergy is to specific protein molecules and those molecules are too large to be carried in peanut fumes, plus there is not a single recorded case of someone going into anaphylaxis not through direct ingestion. The whole idea that you can have a reaction from someone on the other side of the plane eating a Snickers is simply false. (There have been some peer-reviewed studies on "peanut fumes" which found some psychosomatic reactions.)

I have friends with peanut allergies or peanut allergy kids and they take responsibility for the allergy and don't use it for attention. I really think the peanut allergy 'backlash' is caused by the minority who exploit or lie about it, like the woman in r20's post. It really is about responsibility. I fully support campaigns to make manufacturers and restaurants use more transparent allergy labelling (in the UK we already have this in quite a lot of places). But really if you're above a certain age you should be capable of not putting anything into your mouth unless you know it's safe, and children too young to do that shouldn't be left alone.

by Anonymousreply 166July 16, 2012 11:01 AM

"rest ashored," r158? OH, DEAR!

by Anonymousreply 167July 16, 2012 11:43 AM

My local supermarket recently posted a warning on their front doors, "Allergy Alert. This store contains nut products." No, really? A grocery store with nut products? Who would have guessed?

by Anonymousreply 168July 16, 2012 12:43 PM

The problem is that the food is all GM now. They put Gm soy in everything. Few can tolerate or digest it and it's making us all sick. Check the labels on your bread, pasta sauce, salad dressing, cheese, etc. Soy soy soy soy soy soy.....made from laboratory seeds...

by Anonymousreply 169July 16, 2012 12:59 PM

[quote]Kids used to get some cereal and fruit, even veggies before they were 6 months old (mine did anyway) but now only mother's milk will do. Well, looks like maybe not the best idea.

My mother started feeding me rice cereal when I was two weeks old. Only about 1/2 tsp. but she said it filled me up and I slept through the night. My grandma did the same thing with her and I did the same thing with mine. All of us were bottle fed and we are disgustingly healthy. Some of my friends who have breastfed only have the sickliest kids I've ever met. Constant runny noses and they've inherited all of their moms allergies and the mothers are miserable with saggy, painful tits and chapped nipples.

by Anonymousreply 170July 16, 2012 1:04 PM

R158/160 is Vicky Pollard, chav princess.

by Anonymousreply 171July 16, 2012 1:20 PM

Oh Fuck, that little shit Christina always had allergies, DO not get me started. Her nasty reactions always at the wrong times, made my life very uncomfortable.

by Anonymousreply 172July 16, 2012 1:27 PM

They blame the peanuts but it's really the bed bugs.

Bed bug bites swell like hives. When you suddenly itch, you can almost be sure it's bed bugs.

Tiny near microscopic clear bugs (Unless they have fed then they are black), that suck on you and cause anemia.

by Anonymousreply 173July 16, 2012 3:05 PM

Agreed - I was in school from 1970 to 1986 (Grade school, high school, college) and do not remember one kid that had a peanut allergy.

I do think our obsessive desire for cleanliness with bleach wipes, etc. is creating too sterile an environment.

The immune system has to effectively LEARN what is good or bad. So let the kids wallow in dirt for awhile. Yes they may get a little sick but in the long run the immune response will be more effectively equipped to deal with challenges in the future.

by Anonymousreply 174July 16, 2012 3:14 PM

I was born in 66 and growing up didnt know any kids with peanut allergies or autism...was wondering if this sudden surge could stem from higher pollution, the amount of vaccinations kids are getting these days and all that improved gunk they put in foods to make them more appealing, tastier and keep fresh longer?

Seriously...have you seen the old old Soul Train episodes...girls from the 60's, 70's and 80's looked like toothpick with eyes. No shape to them. But these young girls these days are starting to develop curves and filling out like never before. Our son is in 4th grade and more than half of the girls in his class are already filling out. 4th grade? These are 9 & 10 yr olds! Thats pretty scarey.

by Anonymousreply 175September 16, 2012 4:03 AM

I was born in 66 and growing up didnt know any kids with peanut allergies or autism...was wondering if this sudden surge could stem from higher pollution, the amount of vaccinations kids are getting these days and all that improved gunk they put in foods to make them more appealing, tastier and keep fresh longer?

Seriously...have you seen the old old Soul Train episodes...girls from the 60's, 70's and 80's looked like toothpick with eyes. No shape to them. But these young girls these days are starting to develop curves and filling out like never before. Our son is in 4th grade and more than half of the girls in his class are already filling out. 4th grade? These are 9 & 10 yr olds! Thats pretty scarey.

by Anonymousreply 176September 16, 2012 4:04 AM

[quote]I was born in 66 and growing up didnt know any kids with peanut allergies or autism

You couldn't afford them. These new white middle class allergies are a sign of prosperous times - now we can afford them.

by Anonymousreply 177September 16, 2012 4:15 AM

I was born in 1945 and no one had peanut allergies.

Of course we all had polio, mumps, measles, small pox, scarlet fever, chicken pox, and so on.

I guess were were too busy getting sick to have allergies.

by Anonymousreply 178September 16, 2012 8:05 AM

I have a friend in the inner city Sydney (Australia) burbs, whose son went to the local public (state) primary school...

Apparently each school there 'specialises' in some area - some have 'gifted' kids learning programmes, some specialise in music or languages, etc. -

Her local's speciality was allergies.

Seriously - parents all around with foods allergic/intolerant kids vied to get a place there - and when we went to drop off or collect my friend's kid, I was always amazed at the posters explaining what was banned and not allowed to be brought into the school.

Nuts, dairy, eggs, fish - you name it! - all seemed to be banned.

I just couldn't work out what those poor bloody kids actually ate...

My friend's kid was quite robust and without any discernible food related problems, but she made sure he played by the rules. She especially felt sorry for some of the Asian kids in attendance as they weren't allowed to use fish sauce in any of their foods - and a lot of the dishes sorta depended on that for their flavour... :(

by Anonymousreply 179September 16, 2012 9:15 AM

Australian DLer here again -

I have a fit, healthy het Canadian neighbour who can eat peanuts and almonds - but apparently goes into anaphylactic shock if he eats any other types of nuts.

And another friend's kid is violently allergic to eggs - and has even gone into anaphylactic shock in a cafe where they were whipping egg whites out back in the kitchen (!)

But for the most part, so many of the people I've met who told me loud and long about their intolerances and 'allergies' were just neurotic and full of shit. Completely self-obsessed and needing to always be the centre of attention - drives me insane! Simply avoid eating with them where possible - especially eating out! - where they have to run through every single ingredient and explain to waitstaff how fucking special they are...sheesh!

One gathering a while ago was for yum-cha (dim sim) and one princess-ey young woman came along (friend of a friend) and pulled the "I can't eat peanuts!" thang - and made a HUGE fuss about it. Newsflash sweetie most Asian food is fried in peanut oil. Not like it's a secret. And there's steamed stuff on offer - too hard!

by Anonymousreply 180September 16, 2012 9:31 AM

When the Fall comes, all those allergies will magically disappear.

This could also happen when we stop allowing allergy sufferers to work or go to college.

by Anonymousreply 181September 16, 2012 6:17 PM

Fuck all of you idiots! My child instantly had facial swelling the very first time he ate a single peanut. He could have died. You people have no damn respect for the health and safety of others. Grow the hell up!!!!

by Anonymousreply 182September 17, 2012 3:59 AM

Poor, poor r182. On behalf of all of Datalounge, I condole both you and poor little Brayden Jayden Madison Shitzypants III.

It must be simply EXHAUSTING, all that Purelling and declaring and teeth-gnashing and special-ordering!

by Anonymousreply 183September 17, 2012 4:30 AM

Yeah like they are askign for it

by Anonymousreply 184October 31, 2012 12:59 AM

The child that cannot eat penuts is a asshole. Good bye!

by Anonymousreply 185October 31, 2012 1:01 AM

Love you R10!

by Anonymousreply 186October 31, 2012 2:43 AM

darwinism.. survival of the peanut eaters

by Anonymousreply 187October 31, 2012 2:47 AM

A friend who is a doctor told me about this research. It could be due to the high temperatures peanuts are cooked in the US. Peanuts are boiled at a lower temperature in China and the Chinese don't have a high incidence of peanut allergies. Here's a link to the research.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 188October 31, 2012 3:10 AM

I don't think a car has been made with a carburetor since 1985.

by Anonymousreply 189November 1, 2012 3:22 AM

Since when did li'l Johnny's nut allergy become everybody else's prob? If he has an issue it's up to his parents and Johnny to sort it. God help us if we run into a kid with multiple challenges. These helicopter parents will have us all hermetically sealed so J can be safe from everything. Did I mention Li'l Johnny will grow up to be a crashing bore, if he survives his dust allergy?

by Anonymousreply 190November 1, 2012 7:33 PM

Rise in antibiotic use to treat anything. Genetically modified foods damage gut lining. It was going to happen sooner or later with all of the processed foods and unnatural additives. Our bodies are with immune systems to fight off what is not us. Fuck your lack of understanding.

by Anonymousreply 191November 23, 2012 9:05 PM

You are actually a retard. I have a peanut allergy and you definitely don't know the first thing about exposure to peanut products in a person with the allergy. Your a pathetic piece if crap that needs to mind your mouth.

by Anonymousreply 192December 6, 2012 7:59 AM

Can I get a Peanut Scented Cologne???? I'd love to sport that out when I'm at the shopping mall, Disneyland, etc.

by Anonymousreply 193December 6, 2012 8:06 AM

Oh look, I can! Ordering as I type. Shits about to get real.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 194December 6, 2012 8:12 AM

[all posts by right wing shit-stain # a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 195December 6, 2012 9:33 AM

I love all the messages full of hate that say "we turned out ok" - well, actually, clearly you didn't

by Anonymousreply 196December 6, 2012 9:46 AM

Wow. So much blame, so little understanding.

Suppose your family had always lived in a small town near the sea. Suppose everyone else consumed fossil fuels in abandon. Over time the climate is altered; the waters in your neighborhood rise; your town and family home are destroyed. Wouldn't you be angry? But who's really at fault?

Suppose you lived in a country where nearly everyone supported - economically - the production of overly sanitized, radiated, packaged food ("because it's so convenient"). Eventually, exposure to this new environment triggers serious allergies in many children's immune systems. Who's at fault? Who should be angry?

by Anonymousreply 197December 6, 2012 10:49 AM

by Anonymousreply 198December 6, 2012 1:04 PM

If your child has a peanut allergy then your responsibility as a parent is to teach them what not to eat, just as it is the responsibility of the parents of a diabetic child to teach them what not to eat and what to eat. It's YOUR responsibiity as a parent or guardian. It is NOT society's responsibility.

by Anonymousreply 199December 6, 2012 1:09 PM

R195, we share the same thoughts. I am a Darwinist as well. The AIDS deaths decades ago was one of Darwin's best work.

by Anonymousreply 200December 6, 2012 1:25 PM

True R199, but does it change your view, even a little, if society helped create the problem.

Do you also think suicides of youths bullied at school are the fault of the kids?

by Anonymousreply 201December 6, 2012 7:47 PM

AND R3 GO BACK TO YOUR WORTHLESS LIFE AND STOP MAKING ELEMENTARY SCHOOL KIDS FEEL BAD. YOU DO FUCKING REALIZE THAT YOU ARE WANTING FOR PEOPLE TO DIE?!?!?!?! YOUR GONNA DIE, AND WHEN YOU DO, YOUR GOING TO FUCKING HELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 203December 6, 2012 9:24 PM

R202 needs meds for more than allergies.

by Anonymousreply 204December 6, 2012 9:25 PM

I have the Jif -- someone hold r202 down

by Anonymousreply 205December 6, 2012 9:28 PM

R201 is just a quieter version of R202

by Anonymousreply 206December 6, 2012 9:41 PM

It's a troll. He gave himself away by using R3 to respond to another poster. A 12 year old who stumbled into this gay website would not know to use that unless of course he's a very little 12 year old.

by Anonymousreply 207December 6, 2012 10:58 PM

by Anonymousreply 208December 6, 2012 11:02 PM

by Anonymousreply 209December 6, 2012 11:08 PM

by Anonymousreply 210December 7, 2012 7:33 AM

If it was your child who died from peanuts. I'm sure you 'd think differently when it came time to bury your two year old baby 6 feet under and all because of a food allergy and people like you who care nothing for the well being of others.

by Anonymousreply 211December 12, 2012 2:42 AM

by Anonymousreply 212December 12, 2012 2:54 AM

by Anonymousreply 213December 12, 2012 7:10 AM

To those of you with peanut (or comparable) allergies: I think the contempt registered here in a number of posts is not really directed at you, but at those who want the rest of us to change our lives to accommodate your handicap. A college friend of mine was allergic to bee stings, and from her earliest years she went around with an amulet around her neck containing her bee-sting antidote. She didn't try to stop anyone from taking a walk in a meadow where bees might turn up and sting her; she knew--as her parents did--that this was her problem and she had to solve it by staying alert and being prepared. Similarly, children allergic to peanuts have to be coached in how to protect themselves. Their parents have to do that--we don't. The world doesn't want to genuflect before your infirmity. And as for the strange proliferation of these allergies in recent years when they didn't exist in previous eras, that might be a symptom of the highly-processed food environment we live in today, not of a hysterical wish to attract attention. It's not the allergy that folks find outrageous. It is the attitude that the world has to change to placate the rage of helicopter parents.

by Anonymousreply 214December 12, 2012 10:02 AM

R207,

The giveaway to me was when he called himself an "elementary school kid." Few if any twelve year-olds would do that.

by Anonymousreply 215December 12, 2012 11:28 AM

We hear everything else on the news, but I don't recall any stories of kids dying from exposure to peanuts.

by Anonymousreply 216December 12, 2012 12:05 PM

I gave my daughter peanut butter and she broke out in hives and was gasping for Air. That is how I learned she had a Peanut Allergy and trust me If I could change it I would I love peanut butter and can't have it in my home anymore. You need to grow up and learn what a food Allergy is before you write trash like this.

by Anonymousreply 217December 14, 2012 3:25 PM

I just returned from a luncheon for a co-worker who is leaving the company. We went to a somewhat upscale restaurant and he ordered the Waldorf Salad. The menu you listed chicken, grapes and candied walnuts, which is what makes a Waldorf Salad a Waldorf Salad. When it arrived there were no walnuts in it. I suggested to my co-worker that he mention it to the waitstaff. The waiter comes back and tells my co-worker that they no longer include the candied walnuts in the salad. Why? Two guesses? Someone with a nut allergy complained they couldn't order the dish as it contained walnuts. The waiter brought my co-worker a small dish of non-candied walnuts.

by Anonymousreply 218December 14, 2012 8:23 PM

I'm allergic to Cream ... of CCCHWHEATCCH!

by Anonymousreply 219December 14, 2012 8:35 PM

Okay, I personally have a peanut allergy, and that woman who "flipped out" over the five kids eating reeces was doing the right thing. You keep saying that a little exposure is fine, but the only way to get rid of the allergy is STRICT AVOIDANCE! Every time the child comes into contact with the allergen, they become more severe. Thanks to dip shits like you all, I am officially off the charts. Now, it is everyone around me who try to bring me into exposure. You guys don't understand until you've had a kid, or actually have a peanut allergy. I think that your comments about how suddenly people allergic to peanuts are also autistic is completely out of line. You don't see me finding the one thing about you that you can't change and bitching about it. And to the person who said that their 8th grade teacher popped your cherry, get a life WHORE!

by Anonymousreply 220December 18, 2012 4:25 AM

U feel that way untill u or your kids has an allergy to something and the eay u r acting like a retard it will ... its called karma good luck with that...

by Anonymousreply 221December 18, 2012 5:44 AM

U r such an idiot these kids r not defective and i would rather have a kid with alkergies than one that acts like a dumb mother fucker like u

by Anonymousreply 222December 18, 2012 5:46 AM

The great irony in all of this was that Mr. Peanut was such a stud with his monacle and all.

by Anonymousreply 223December 18, 2012 5:52 AM

And if I had a kid as illiterate as you arer, r221/r222, I'd wish for him to die from a peanut reaction.

by Anonymousreply 224December 18, 2012 5:52 AM

U r a fucking idiot maybe u shoukd learn a little about a subjuct before u start running your stupid ass mouth u obviously kniw nothjng about and why the hell r u so upset abiut this it has nothing to do with u DUMB ASS!!!!

by Anonymousreply 225December 18, 2012 5:55 AM

[quote]U r such an idiot these kids r not defective and i would rather have a kid with alkergies than one that acts like a dumb mother fucker like u

I may be dumb, but I know how to spell allergies, and I didn't learn how to spell via text message. Now be gone before a peanut falls within three miles of your spawn.

by Anonymousreply 226December 18, 2012 5:55 AM

And, yes, that should be "you are" above at r224.

by Anonymousreply 227December 18, 2012 5:56 AM

R225 is a big hit at parties.

by Anonymousreply 228December 18, 2012 5:57 AM

You are the one who is upset, r225. I am sitting here very calmly thinking that the world would be better off if peanut-induced anaphylactic shock removed you from the gene pool.

by Anonymousreply 229December 18, 2012 6:00 AM

Uh-oh, r255, he's come for you.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 230December 18, 2012 6:00 AM

I have an old plastic bubble for sale.

by Anonymousreply 231December 18, 2012 6:06 AM

I'm allergic to penus too.

by Anonymousreply 232December 18, 2012 6:08 AM

[quote]Okay, I personally have a peanut allergy, and that woman who "flipped out" over the five kids eating reeces was doing the right thing. You keep saying that a little exposure is fine, but the only way to get rid of the allergy is STRICT AVOIDANCE!

So go live in a plastic bubble, you useless twat. Your problem shouldn't have to become everyone else's problem.

Every time the child comes into contact with the allergen, they become more severe. Thanks to dip shits like you all, I am officially off the charts.

Oh, yeah, anyone who dares to engage in the egregiously irresponsible and stupid act of eating a freaking piece of candy in a public place is a real dip shit (sic). Again, if your allergy is that much of a problem, go live in a plastic bubble and stop expecting the rest of the world to accommodate your bizarro needs.

by Anonymousreply 233December 18, 2012 6:10 AM

I wonder if peanut allergies are somehow related to autism?

by Anonymousreply 234December 18, 2012 6:15 AM

Once these kids are old enough to escape their "helicopter moms" they'll probably just start eating normal human food including peanut butter.

These things go in cycles and right now "stay-at-home" moms occupy their time by putting on performance art skits over nonsense like gluten intolerance, nut allergies, etc.

If it's true that that woman considered scolding other people's children for eating Reese's Peanut Butter cups, especially if she tried to confiscate them, the school should have "upped the ante" by calling the cops and having this nut case (no pun intended) hauled off to jail.

She wouldn't have been in long, but it might have bought her poor kid enough time to enjoy at least one peanut butter and jelly sandwich despite his crazy mother.

by Anonymousreply 235December 18, 2012 6:36 AM

Peanut allergy hysteria in schools has gone completely nuts! There was never a single kid in the school in the 70's allergic to peanuts! Now, my kids' schools completely ban schoolwide anything even assembled in a factory which may come into contact with nuts! By this logic: some people are allegic to milk, so let's ban and kill all cows. Some people are allergic to cut grass, so let's pave over the entire earth. Some people are allergic to bee stings, so let's destroy all bees. I have allergies, and I never expected anyone to take my allergies into consideration when I was a kid in the 70's. Has anyone ever stopped to consider that maybe these kids with alleged, but more likely hypochondriac parents, peanut allergies simply stay away from other kid's peanut butter and jelly sandwiches! Carry an epipen if you must. Enough already with the insane peanut allergy mass mysteria!!!

by Anonymousreply 236January 11, 2013 8:07 PM

When did hysterical moms find this place and start commenting about burying their kids? sheesh...

by Anonymousreply 237January 11, 2013 8:55 PM

by Anonymousreply 238January 28, 2013 12:50 PM

>>>Every time the child comes into contact with the allergen, they become more severe. Thanks to dip shits like you all, I am officially off the charts.

I totally agree with and empathise with people who have peanut allergies or parents of kids with peanut allergies. But it's physically impossible to have a reaction to peanuts except through direct ingestion. The allergy is to specific protein molecules which are too large to be inhaled in so-called "peanut fumes." Not to mention there have been various studies in peer-reviewed journals that concluded that symptoms from being near someone eating peanuts (without actually ingesting any) are psychosomatic. That is, the allergy is real, but symptoms from simply being near peanuts are not.

I totally support separating peanut products in nursery and elementary schools and introducing hygiene rules to ensure young kids don't accidentally eat peanuts. But the responsibility for not eating peanut products ultimately lies with the person or their parents. And really it's not that hard to monitor what you put in your mouth.

So the whole, "If you eat a Snickers twenty rows down from me on a plane you're killing me!!" - that is sheer hysteria. Because you cannot have an actual allergic reaction from that, period.

by Anonymousreply 239January 28, 2013 1:47 PM

Women are nuts. It's as simple as that.

by Anonymousreply 240January 28, 2013 1:51 PM

Kids These Days Are 'Food Bullying' Kids With Allergies:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 241January 28, 2013 6:45 PM

by Anonymousreply 242January 28, 2013 10:22 PM

Why have these food allergies become so prevalent? Growing up in the '80s, I knew two kids who had peanut allergies and had to carry an EpiPen. Now, it seems like there's an epidemic.

by Anonymousreply 243January 28, 2013 10:54 PM

Christ, this AHD talk really ignites my fuse! My brother and sister in law's son is a real piece of work. The little shit has been indulged since he came out of the womb. If he cried, he was coddled. If he burped he was coddled. If he shit his pants he was coddled. When he became a toddler, and he acted out like toddlers do, his parents tried that "negotiation" shit with him instead of disciplining and punishing him. By the time he was 5 or 6, he ran that household and had his parents by the short hairs.

They asked, "What is wrong with our little Billy? He used to be such an angel! He's not acting like himself!" Well, fuck that! Little Billy was always one of Satan's spawn, and mommy and daddy did fuck all to correct his bad behaviors. Now, of course, he is on ritalin, paid for by daddy's health plan. Little Billy is still a little piece of shit and manipulates his parents to get everything he wants his way. It makes me sick. What that kid needs is a kick in the ass, not another pill. But don't try and tell mommy and daddy that - they won't talk to you again.

by Anonymousreply 244January 28, 2013 10:59 PM

These frau soccer moms have nothing in their own lives to satsify them so they transfer their thirst for attention to their spawns. It's the only thing that makes them important and feel validated.

by Anonymousreply 245January 28, 2013 11:03 PM

I KNOW YOU ARE NOT GOING TO READ THIS, AND YOU AND EVERYONE ELSE DOESN'T UNDERSTAND. IT'S NOT LIKE YOU CAN SEE THE SYMPTOMS RIGHT AWAY. BUT WHEN YOU DO, PEOPLE STILL DON'T UNDERSTAND. I HAVE TO TAKE TWO TYPES OF MEDICATION EVERY DAY AND MY PARENTS STILL DON'T CARE ABOUT ME BECAUSE THEY DON'T THINK THAT I HAVE A NUT ALLERGY THAT IS AIRBORNE. ALLERGIES GET WORSE AND ALLERGIES GET BETTER, BUT MINE IS JUST GETTING THAT MUCH WORSE AND WORSE AND WORSE. IF YOU WERE IN MY PLACE, YOU WOULD UNDERSTAND. MY ALLERGY IS SO BAD THAT I GET RASHES, ONE TIME I COULDN'T SEE AND I COULDN'T OPEN MY EYE, AND MY THROAT CLOSES UP IF I DON'T TAKE CARE OF THE SITUATION RIGHT AWAY, SOMETIMES HIVES. MY NOSE GETS IRRITATED AND I CONSTANTLY SNEEZE BECAUSE IT IS IN THE AIR. AND YOU ARE RIGHT, THAT NO ONE IN THIS WORLD CARES ABOUT PEOPLE THAT HAVE NUT ALLERGIES. NO ONE DOES. AND YOU, ARE ONE OF THEM.

by Anonymousreply 246March 3, 2013 5:36 PM

I KNOW YOU ARE NOT GOING TO READ THIS, AND YOU AND EVERYONE ELSE DOESN'T UNDERSTAND. IT'S NOT LIKE YOU CAN SEE THE SYMPTOMS RIGHT AWAY. BUT WHEN YOU DO, PEOPLE STILL DON'T UNDERSTAND. I HAVE TO TAKE TWO TYPES OF MEDICATION EVERY DAY AND MY PARENTS STILL DON'T CARE ABOUT ME BECAUSE THEY DON'T THINK THAT I HAVE A NUT ALLERGY THAT IS AIRBORNE. ALLERGIES GET WORSE AND ALLERGIES GET BETTER, BUT MINE IS JUST GETTING THAT MUCH WORSE AND WORSE AND WORSE. IF YOU WERE IN MY PLACE, YOU WOULD UNDERSTAND. MY ALLERGY IS SO BAD THAT I GET RASHES, ONE TIME I COULDN'T SEE AND I COULDN'T OPEN MY EYE, AND MY THROAT CLOSES UP IF I DON'T TAKE CARE OF THE SITUATION RIGHT AWAY, SOMETIMES HIVES. MY NOSE GETS IRRITATED AND I CONSTANTLY SNEEZE BECAUSE IT IS IN THE AIR. AND YOU ARE RIGHT, THAT NO ONE IN THIS WORLD CARES ABOUT PEOPLE THAT HAVE NUT ALLERGIES. NO ONE DOES. AND YOU, ARE ONE OF THEM.

by Anonymousreply 247March 3, 2013 5:38 PM

Have someone post for you when you finally die, dear.

by Anonymousreply 248March 3, 2013 5:59 PM

Excuse me R239, but who are you to bring scholarship and science to a DL rant thread?

by Anonymousreply 249March 3, 2013 6:04 PM

Honey? If your own parents don't believe you, WHY THE FUCK WOULD WE?

by Anonymousreply 250March 3, 2013 6:05 PM

The thing is, its been only recently that the expectation is that others will drop everything to accommodate those with issues such as peanut allegies. In the States, the social contract used to be more towards self-responsibility that the community supported. This meant one with allergies left the area when an offending substance was present, not forcing a ban on others. The US came up with the idea of ramp access and better designed doors so the handicapped (differently-abled) could use facilities, but it didn't mean we had to ban doors or stairs. Now, we've moved towards banning things, which is not community affirming, and makes the whole community differently-abled and resentful.

by Anonymousreply 251March 4, 2013 3:21 PM

Since anecdotal evidence seems to be the only evidence people on this thread appreciate, I'll offer some that "proves" allergies have been around for a lot longer than this generation. My family has a genetic predisposition to allergies that goes back at least three generations. It's known as atopy and the three main symptoms are eczema, asthma, and allergies. I was born in 1988 and was tested for a range of food allergies shortly after my 1st birthday because I already had severe eczema (which has left me with very scarred hands) and severe asthma (which resulted in pneumonia and hospital stays for weeks). The results were a severe allergy to all nuts, both tree and ground. My mother was born in 1952. She also has atopy, though it wasn't recognized until she was older. She had asthma and eczema as a child, but food allergies weren't as widely known at the time. Her allergy to shellfish wasn't diagnosed until she was 16. She ate shrimp for the first time at a restaurant and had to be revived at a hospital after she went into anaphylactic shock and her heart stopped. Later on it was found that 2 of her 5 sibling also had food allergies, and another two wound up having children with food allergies. My grandfather was born in 1925. He was not analytically allergic to anything. However, his older brother died at the age of 4 due to "sudden respiratory failure". It wasn't until years later that my great grandmother realized the swelling, hives, and breathing difficulty had been a severe allergic reaction to pecan pie. Information was not as readily available in my grandparents time and there is lots of actual evidence that proves TB was commonly listed as cause of death in cases of illnesses not yet understood. The only difference between my great uncle's situation and mine is the amount of awareness food allergies have received. Something I am really thankful for...even if the flip side of that awareness includes having to deal with willfully ignorant bullies who equate a life threatening disorder with attention seeking.

by Anonymousreply 252December 10, 2013 5:59 AM

If you have a nut allergy, stick to sucking cock and cock only. Oh yeah, rimming would be OK too.

by Anonymousreply 253December 10, 2013 10:34 AM

R251 summed it up perfectly.

I went to a rather expensive boarding school which was practically Dickensian for the first four years I was there. By the time I left they'd started bending over backwards to accommodate people with dietary restrictions. The thing that pissed me off most was the creation of special dishes for the Muslims. If they don't want to eat the meat option they can eat the fucking veggie slop like the rest of us.

There was also an allergies list pinned to one of the walls for the precious prep school children. One child was allergic to all sweets. A lie methinks.

by Anonymousreply 254December 10, 2013 10:47 AM

Your post is a voice of reason in this thread, r252. Allergies have existed through human history; it is only very recently that we have the technology to easily detect allergies. Of course, r252, your post will be ignored or disparaged. R254 has already proven my point!

by Anonymousreply 255December 10, 2013 8:25 PM

I have bad food allergies and next to no one knows about them. Be careful where and what you eat, bring your medication with you in case of an emergency and shut up.

My biggest problem is that people never shut up about what they can and cannot eat.

I have the same things happen as r246/r247.

The world does not revolve around me even though I wish it did.

by Anonymousreply 256December 10, 2013 8:33 PM

If a person has a lot of allergies, I stay away from them. I have found them almost always to be neurotic and highly self-centered.

by Anonymousreply 257December 10, 2013 10:07 PM

It can be done. Atta boy... off you go to the Peanut Allergy Academy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 258December 10, 2013 10:18 PM

Have a reese

by Anonymousreply 259December 10, 2013 10:38 PM

These people have no heart. Because of their attitude, the best teacher would be for them to have a food allergy and see how life threatening it is.

by Anonymousreply 260January 20, 2014 4:09 AM

Our grade school cafeteria had peanut butter cookies once a week and PB&J sandwiches once every two weeks. Nobody got sick or died. The peanut butter epidemic hadn't been invented yet.

by Anonymousreply 261January 20, 2014 4:28 AM

"Every time an allergic incident occurs, I get drained for a couple of days."

It's all about her, isn't it. It's non-violent Munchausen by-proxy. She's not making the kid sick (in this case, I've seen other's when I wonder if the kid even has the allergy)but she's using it to feed her need for attention.

by Anonymousreply 262January 20, 2014 4:37 AM

Fuck those little peanut bastards. If a peanut is going to kill one of the little turds, so be it. Survival of the fittest and all that.

What will happen to these spawn when they have to face the real world? People eat peanut products on buses, in airports, at work, at sporting events, etc. They need to make a choice: toughen up now or die later.

by Anonymousreply 263January 20, 2014 4:40 AM

This is why they hate us.

by Anonymousreply 264January 20, 2014 4:46 AM

I think some of you are missing the point. We aren't saying these allergies never existed but that they were rare. I know I went to many different schools from elementary to high school and this wasn't an issues at any. There may have been kids with allergies but they had responsibility over them and it wasn't made to be everyone else's issue. There are common sense things you can do for the really little but even then, I can think of the kid with really bad asthma, even he knew how to take his meds and manage it. He also knew what to look for when it was time to get helped (which only happened once). This epidemic of food allergies and intolerances (life threatening) is new. It's never been this wide-spread.

by Anonymousreply 265January 20, 2014 4:57 AM

It's Special Snowflake Syndrome, to the Nth degree. Sure, these kids DO have allergies, but it shouldn't have to impact everyone & every thing around them.

When I was growing up, I knew of absolutely no one with a peanut allergy or ADD. The one kid who had a known allergy to bee venom, was not allowed outside to play with us, unless he had his medication on hand. It was HIS problem, not ours.

I';d be interested in knowing, however, how the genesis of all these allergies is coming about. They are much,much more prevalent now than in years past. Any ideas?

by Anonymousreply 266January 20, 2014 4:46 PM

Actually, practising Qigong does help with allergies.

by Anonymousreply 267January 20, 2014 5:10 PM

It's all the chemicals we treat our carpet, our food, our clothing with, the meds and antibiotics we flush into our water treatment plants. It screws with human ability to grow fetuses without greater and greater errors each generation.

by Anonymousreply 268January 20, 2014 5:25 PM

[quote] The one kid who had a known allergy to bee venom, was not allowed outside to play with us, unless he had his medication on hand. It was HIS problem, not ours.

But that's part of the problem. Children are no longer allowed to keep their own medications with them. They have to be left with either the school office or the school nurse (who likely now is part time, only there a couple of days a week) and so not immediately accessible. The kid who needs his inhaler or Epipen has to request it.

by Anonymousreply 269January 20, 2014 5:53 PM

Did the boy in R258's link die from a peanut allergy yet?

by Anonymousreply 270January 20, 2014 7:09 PM

Reply 263, and others who said similar stuff

I've never seen such inconsideration for other people's LIVES than here.

by Anonymousreply 271February 15, 2014 10:36 AM

EAT SHIT AND DIE YOU FUCKING GAYS, PLAGUE OF THE EARTH HITLER SHOULD HAVE KILLED ALL OF YOU WHILE HE COULD

How does it feel being told to die?

by Anonymousreply 272February 15, 2014 10:40 AM

Those claiming that peanut allergies get worse with further exposure are wrong.

In fact, 9 out of 10 people in a new treatment program were cured of their peanut allergy by careful, repeated exposure.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 273February 15, 2014 11:09 AM

Pollen allergy leads to many side allergies, including peanuts. So people who's kids are allergic to peanuts are primaliry allergic to pollen. Peanut side allergy causes itching in the throat and redness around your lips, but it goes away in a matter of minutes after you drink some water. However, a real allergy to peanuts is life threatening and people who have been diagnosed carry their injection with them at all times. Now let's put this troll infested thread to bed.

by Anonymousreply 274February 15, 2014 11:12 AM

There's Munchausen's syndrome, where people fake or dramatise illness because they crave sympathy and attention. And there's Munchausen's syndrome by proxy, where the illness of a child or dependent is dramatised to get the "carer" attention; a lot of these hysterical allergy mom's have the latter if you ask me.

I know a middle aged at home mom whose whole life revolved around her bratty, miserable rude daughter. As the kid grew close to leaving home you could tell this woman started to implode. She went to her doctor so often about how terrified she was that the (fat) kid was anorexic, depressed, etc that the doctor told her straight - it's you that has the problem. Get a job or a hobby.

by Anonymousreply 275February 15, 2014 12:22 PM

My friend Julie brought Peanut Brittle and a tray of Peanut Butter and Jelly Bars to the PTA Bake Sale. Twelve children were taken to the ER. She is such a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 276February 15, 2014 12:44 PM

Prior to 1990, met one Canadian woman who needed injecting with stuff if she was stung by a bee, and quite a few hay fever sufferers. That was it. No nut or lactose allergies, no celiacs, no twisted bowels, no gluten intolerants. No kid ever so much as wheezed due to a nut in my entire childhood.

Always amusing to read the "warning!!contains nuts" warning on bags of nuts, nut chocolate and nut cookies.

by Anonymousreply 277February 15, 2014 3:37 PM

You wouldn't say to a person with AIDS "if you can die from a simple cold then you might as well do it".

Or to somebody with diabetes "if you can die from eating a cake then you should".

Then why do you say that people with allergies should die?

by Anonymousreply 278February 18, 2014 4:52 PM

I work for a major metro hospital and am familiar with some of the current treatments for severe food allergy, including peanuts/tree nuts and shellfish.

It's true that there are some parents who seem to get a little too into their allergic child's situation. As in, my child is allergic to the world, and it's THE WORLD's fault.

But I have seen parents really wanting to solve the problem and really trying to solve the problem, using the latest "very gradual exposure" treatment program. Some success stories - if a kid used to have a life-threatening allergy and now it's merely bad but not life-threatening, that's great. So I don't lump 'em all together as histronic Munchausen-by-proxy head cases. There is indeed a rise in extreme allergic reactions to foods, and we are still trying to figure out why.

by Anonymousreply 279February 18, 2014 5:03 PM

Fuck them. They are total pains in the asses.

by Anonymousreply 280February 18, 2014 6:03 PM

The reason I know that this peanut allergy stuff is bullshit is that I was born in the 80s and all throughout my childhood/school career, I never ONCE heard of anyone having this problem. Now it's supposedly everywhere. No. These parents are hallucinating.

by Anonymousreply 281February 18, 2014 6:09 PM

To everyone getting outraged over non-sympathetic responses please note that the reason is that IT IS NOT everyone else's problem but the parents and the kids. I think people are tired of parents demanding "peanut-free" zones and making everyone else a slave to their kids disability. Peanut butter is inexpensive and nutritious and a staple in many a child's lunch and that may be especially true in a low income area.

by Anonymousreply 282February 18, 2014 6:20 PM

I always carry packs of peanuts and Reese's cups when I'm around children and schools and those terrible "peanut allergy free zones." I also grind peanuts up and scatter the dust so it gets into the kids' shoes and they carry it around.

As president of the group, "Creative Understanding of Nature's Trends," I feel it is my duty to help restore natural evolutionary processes. Children who are so sensitive that they will succumb just by breathing a tiny amount of peanut-infused air really are not supposed to survive on the planet. It's only fair to them and to their prospective weak offspring that I do my part to cull them. SOMEONE has to be responsible.

And mean people like R272 also need special treatment. If only I could deliver my "special white powder" on one of her many daily doughnuts.

by Anonymousreply 283February 19, 2014 12:23 AM

[283] I suspect that you are a treasure!

by Anonymousreply 284February 19, 2014 12:36 AM

R257 I know. I've started to dread it when I meet new people and they act fussy in even the slightest way about food, oh I can't eat this is makes me nauseous, oh I'm allergic to that, this gives me a stomach ache.

IMO half of this crap is attention seeking wannabe special snowflakes who can't get the spotlight any other way so they've all developed problems with food, probably "inherited" from their similarly narcissistic parents.

by Anonymousreply 285February 19, 2014 3:31 AM

Gluten, sugar, peanuts. Never seemed to be an issue for anyone about 15 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 286February 19, 2014 3:41 AM

^

So are people with Alzheimer's and people with AIDS and similar diseases. I presume - fuck them too?

by Anonymousreply 287February 19, 2014 4:24 PM

TO R283

Mean people like R272? What? You are not mean by intentionally grinding peanuts into dust and scattering it around zones where there are people who can DIE by ingesting that dust so you can "restore the natural evolution process"?

Maybe next we should kill everyone with black skin, brown hair and eyes and everyone who wears glasses, and every homosexual?

Moronic dickhead.

by Anonymousreply 288February 19, 2014 4:37 PM

As a parent of a kid with a minor peanut allergy and an autistic kid who had been saved by diet I have to say that, one, many of you are cruel and uneducated on the subject and two, I would never expect others to cater to our dietary needs. At this point, my son's peanut allergy is basically a precaution but I have to say that when you're told by a doctor that your one year old could die so easily, it is very scary. We carry an epipen and watch what he eats but that's about it.

My other son is on a strict diet because we have realized that his behavior is affected greatly, unbelievably, by diet. After being on the diet for 5 months he got a cupcake on thanksgiving and he was like a completely different kid. He's happier and our family is much less stressed when we stick to his diet. Food matters and those of you who wave your hand and think you know better need to fuck off. If a person needs to eat a certain way there is usually a good reason. That said, someone with a certain diet should never expect others to cater to them.

by Anonymousreply 289February 19, 2014 4:48 PM

Bless your heart, R288.

by Anonymousreply 290February 19, 2014 4:57 PM

Interesting, how people change their stance depending on what it is. if it's peanuts which can be life threatening it's fuck em, let them die, but if it's loud music it's turn it down it's annoying to some...

by Anonymousreply 291February 19, 2014 5:36 PM

This is exactly how we all feel when 1 or 2 people somehow fuck the majority over. Take the people with allergies and crazy religious demands and start a school for them, go learn safety and devotion to its limits. The more you impress your bs on people the more you single yourselves out. If you just go start your own school and don't purposefully infringe on the majority you will gain willing acceptance of your sickness.

by Anonymousreply 292February 22, 2014 3:57 PM

It seems like every child at the school where I teach is either ADD, ADHD, autistic, BD, ED, or allergic to something. Parents are using television as a babysitter from the time their children are born and it changes brain development. Along with complete lack of parenting and the expectation that schools will do the child-raising, kids know no boundaries, lack any semblance of coping skills, and feel a total sense of entitlement. There has to be a connection between genetically modified foods and all these new allergies, in my opinion. I fear for the future; I have no idea how these little "hothouse orchids" will develop into functioning adults.

by Anonymousreply 293February 22, 2014 4:16 PM

R289, I am interested in the diet you use for your boys. My young cousin has a preschool-age son with autism and she's constantly posting FB pics of him eating sugary junk food, alongside memes of having an autistic child. Hmmmm.

by Anonymousreply 294February 22, 2014 4:30 PM

R294 it's called SCD, specific carbohydrate diet. It's very strict and difficult to follow but we were lucky to get involved with a study that provided us with prepared food for 16 weeks. After seeing the change in his behavior this summer it gave us the motivation to continue on our own. I don't think I would have been able to do it otherwise. Diet is widely recognized as a treatment for autism and I hope your cousin is able to educate herself on the matter. It's really hard to go to a parent and tell them they need to change what they feed their kids so I don't know if that would actually work. Maybe you could find some articles and share them with her or mention my experience but I would do it gently or she'll just get defensive. Sugar and artificial colors and flavors are the worst for any kid but especially one with sensitivities like autistic kids and that was the first thing to go in our house. Gluten and dairy are also foods that a lot of autistic kids can't handle.

I also would like to say, R293, parenting has nothing to do with kids who have autism or ADHD. You are ignorant and insensitive. I have a younger son who has absolutely no behavioral problems and he is being raised the same way as his brother. I'm a firm believer that if we got rid of all the garbage we feed our kids the number of kids being diagnosed would drop significantly. Try spending time with a child or parent who is suffering from autism and you will learn a lot. Not only that the parent loves their child and is doing the best they can but that beyond the quirkiness is a very intelligent wonderful child.

by Anonymousreply 295February 22, 2014 5:43 PM

R295 = frau. Wouldn't be surprised if she reveals that she has fibromyalgia.

by Anonymousreply 296February 22, 2014 7:39 PM

Oh, and might I add: R289/295 is not only a frau, but she has somehow managed to produce not one, but TWO defective children. I wonder what she did to achieve that feat. I hope she stops at two enfeebled spawn or is otherwise neutered. The world doesn't need anymore weaklings like the children she describes.

by Anonymousreply 297February 22, 2014 7:48 PM

R296 no, I'm healthy, thanks. Just more educated on kids and food than you are. Say what you want and think I'm crazy, I honestly don't care. My child is able to focus and socialize more than ever because of his diet. And my family is happy.

Johnson & Johnson didn't spend thousands of dollars on my child for a study on diet and autism for nothing.

by Anonymousreply 298February 22, 2014 7:51 PM

fuck off to you

by Anonymousreply 299June 1, 2014 3:52 PM

I believe in peanut allergies.

There are some horrible people on this thread, but it is useful to read what people are thinking, and usually too polite to say out loud.

by Anonymousreply 300June 1, 2014 5:29 PM

[quote]There are some horrible people on this thread, but it is useful to read what people are thinking, and usually too polite to say out loud.

It would be a mistake to assume the DL lunatic fringe represents anyone but their fellow patients. They usually calm down after the med cart makes its rounds.

by Anonymousreply 301June 1, 2014 5:48 PM

I had to dig this thread up. Today at work, we had a farewell party for somebody who was a long time employee. We all brought in food - the usual potluck frau scenario. I'm not knocking fraus - their food is pretty good!

Anyway, a new employee, only on the job for THREE WEEKS comes into the board room where the spread was laid out and makes her way around the table, piling up her plate. And before you ask, yes, she is very fat. She makes her way to the desserts, grabs a second plate for those, and suddenly announces, "These squares have peanuts in them! I cannot be around peanuts! If I am, I will have an attack!"

Fucking fat bitch was in that room with the peanuts loading up her plate for 5 minutes before she made her dramatic announcement.

That's but one example of why I call bullshit on this peanut allergy crap. Fat bitch was just fine until she decided that she wasn't. I'd like to smear Crisco on that fat cunt and roll her in crushed peanuts.

by Anonymousreply 302September 27, 2014 12:26 AM

R281, same here. When I was in elementary school, I heard rumors of this peanut allergy, but one in kid in our big school had it, at least not bad enough to ban peanut dust.

by Anonymousreply 303September 27, 2014 12:36 AM

About 1.1% of the population suffers from peanut allergies. Of these, only 1/3 have severe reactions, so the number is very small.

These few people should stay home or make other accommodations for their education at an early age.

by Anonymousreply 304September 27, 2014 1:27 AM

R302 has rage issues.

by Anonymousreply 305September 27, 2014 4:26 AM

Just read an article on line about a Dr who is studying peanut allergies and mice. It really surprised me how much the allergy has grown in just a few generations. The Dr linked it to use of antibiotics in infants. I guess in my generation most people just died and no one knew what killed them. I didn't know anyone in school with a peanut allergy.

by Anonymousreply 306September 27, 2014 4:31 AM

Why is it that in South East Asia there is no peanut allergy? Dare one suggest it is that there is peanut and nuts in lots of foods and everyone eats it. Some people hate peanuts and peanut butter, are they responsible for the allergy?

by Anonymousreply 307April 4, 2015 9:53 PM

It's a real thing OP. Just because you HATE children (obviously because you are gay and can't have any) and HATE women (because you are the frau troll) doesn't mean this doesn't exist. Weird man you are.

by Anonymousreply 308April 4, 2015 10:22 PM

I had a male boss who claimed to have acute nut allergies, then a week later he was eating nuts. He was a pain in the ass in many ways. I read about a girl who asked if there were peanuts in a dish was told no, took a bite, spit it out the second she tasted the peanuts, then died even after two doses of epinephrine. It's a shame people like my old boss make it hard for people with real allergies. I assume people are telling the truth about their allergies, because I'd rather indulge an asshole than kill someone.

by Anonymousreply 309April 4, 2015 11:15 PM

Whatever, r302. If the person with a peanut allergy/ dramatic streak was a hot bubble-butt with a huge bulge, you'd be rubbing your fag self all up on him, cooing about how terrible peanuts are.

Go ahead, call me a fat frau. I'll wait. You shrieking little manginas just can't stand it when your double standards are reflected back onto you.

by Anonymousreply 310April 5, 2015 5:19 AM

The problem is only going to get worse. kids eventually grow up and continue passing around their breeders defective genes/genetics, and the cycle continues.. before you know it, half the population will be autistic and have food allergies.

by Anonymousreply 311April 8, 2015 9:01 AM

Why are there now so many kids who are allergic to nuts and legumes?

I grew up with one person like R2 out of thousands, and my friend really is allergic to peanuts, other legumes and nuts but now it is apparently much more prevalent.

Is it because parents don't allow their kids to play outside or touch animals at petting zoos or farms? Or the kids have weak immune systems and don't really get exposed to people and things?

by Anonymousreply 312December 7, 2018 4:42 PM

R302 I laughed. You have to actually eat or ingest the peanuts. Simply being around them in food or other people eating them does not cause the allergic reaction.

Myself and other kids I grew up with would eat peanut candies and PB&J sandwiches around someone who had a peanut allergy and he was fine.

I was with my friend when we were in a mall and we both ate a sample of candy a candy store was giving out and the woman who worked at the store asked if we liked it and I said how it tasted like peanuts, and my friend had to call his mom who gave him an epi pen injection.

It is not like this article where the woman wants money or compensation.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 313December 7, 2018 4:50 PM

R312 Allergies don't come from a weak immune system. In fact allergic reactions are caused by overactive immune systems. The body for some reason thinks peanuts are a threat of some sort and reacts overly agressively

by Anonymousreply 314December 7, 2018 5:34 PM

Thanks R314, so why do so many kids have these allergies to peanuts now?

by Anonymousreply 315December 7, 2018 7:04 PM

But what about Miss Peanut?

by Anonymousreply 316December 7, 2018 8:16 PM

R313, some people who have an extreme peanut allergy, can and do have reactions from people ingesting peanuts around them. My great nephew does, and it causes an immediate closing of his respiratory tract. If he is kissed on the cheek by someone who had peanuts, shellfish or strawberries, a welt appears in the spot.

by Anonymousreply 317December 7, 2018 10:15 PM

Yeah! And all these Fraus with Vag-Cancer. A little is good for them, too! They should STICK IT OUT so they get total immunity, too!

by Anonymousreply 318December 7, 2018 10:37 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!