Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The most homophobic movies of all time

People always point to "Cruising" as homo-hateful (I disagree, seems pretty accurate). But what other movies make us look bad?%0D %0D I watched "The Owl And The Pussycat" the other night and I heard "fairy" and "pervert" over and over.

by Anonymousreply 358July 18, 2020 3:48 PM

I guess Braveheart is there at the top. The first time I started to dislike Mel Gibson was when I was watching that piece of shit.

by Anonymousreply 1March 4, 2011 10:55 PM

Eddie Murphy: Raw

by Anonymousreply 2March 4, 2011 11:04 PM

Anything by Sacha Baron Cohen.

by Anonymousreply 3March 4, 2011 11:13 PM

Please define homophobic, OP. You seem to be using it to mean "anything that makes gays look bad," but that's certainly not what the word means.

by Anonymousreply 4March 4, 2011 11:19 PM

This movie:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5March 4, 2011 11:23 PM

I would say anything by Mel...

by Anonymousreply 6March 4, 2011 11:28 PM

Slap Shot

by Anonymousreply 7March 4, 2011 11:31 PM

Luckily not many

by Anonymousreply 8March 4, 2011 11:33 PM

Please explain the homophobia in Braveheart, I could never bring myself to watch that shit.

by Anonymousreply 9March 4, 2011 11:39 PM

The Hangover is a recent example.

by Anonymousreply 10March 4, 2011 11:42 PM

Not most homophobic, but in The Hangover they kept teasing some guy by calling him Dr. Faggot. That's so gay.

by Anonymousreply 11March 4, 2011 11:46 PM

Anybody seen this movie Role Models with Paul Rudd? 365gay says it's the most homophobic movie ever.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12March 4, 2011 11:53 PM

I didn't think Hangover was homophobic. I thought it was just guys being guys.

by Anonymousreply 13March 4, 2011 11:55 PM

Negative image of gays in films very much a product of the film's time. For instance the Detective in the late 60s or films from the 70s when so many people feared the high visibilty and militancy (demanding equal rights) of both women and gays. Films went anti-leading lady in the 70s as well.

by Anonymousreply 14March 5, 2011 12:10 AM

"Braveheart" is the most sickeningly homophobic movie of all time.%0D %0D Mel Gibson created a gay British prince who DID NOT EXIST at the time of William Wallace just so the gay prince's boyfriend could be hurled out the window of a castle to his death. Whenever this scene plays in theatres, the audience erupts into laughter and cheers. And there is NO reason for their joy aside from the fact that they just got to see a gay man killed. %0D %0D It is sickening. And Mel Gibson intensionally created this historically inaccurate event and sold it as true history. The world sadly believed it and loved it. It is the most terrifying experience I ever had to watch this in a theatre.

by Anonymousreply 15March 5, 2011 12:10 AM

I saw Role Models, R13, but I can't remember it. I guess that pretty much tells you how much of an impact it would have on anyone.

by Anonymousreply 16March 5, 2011 12:17 AM

Why would str8 movie makers care about being homophobic when gay people don't care? There's never any big outcry about any gay bashing language in movies. Gays, even on DL, always make excuses like R13...just guys being guys. Like whites were just being whites back in the day.

by Anonymousreply 17March 5, 2011 12:21 AM

The funny thing is that Mel's character in 'Braveheart' is terribly gay (albeit a butch queen). William Wallace's wife is conveniently killed early in the movie so that we don't have to have "icky women" in the story. She reappears occasionally as a ghost to remind people that WW is straight even though he only hangs around with beefy men (no chicks anywhere in THIS revolution). Obviously killing the prince's BF is a further audience "get out of jail free card" for Wallace's homoerotic lifestyle.

It's as gay as Top Gun.

Sadly, it isn't campy fun - it's a tedious, earnest bowl of tripe only relieved by some good battle scenes (kudos to the editor and cinematographer). Just as in real life, Mel is insufferable and I have never wished more fervently for a movie hero to die a painful death as I did in that cinema.

If only THAT scene was real...

by Anonymousreply 18March 5, 2011 12:37 AM

Robert Aldrich's "The Choirboys". It's not even close. We get an early visit from a faggot with a pink poodle. He sees a cop handcuffed to a tree and romantic violin music plays in the background. "Oooh, a naked perthon" he lisps. A young kid gets arrested for cruising in the park and is released. At the movie's climax, a shellshocked vet guns him down in the park and the event is covered up by the police force.

by Anonymousreply 19March 5, 2011 12:51 AM

Rent 'The Celluloid Closet', a documentary based on the great book by Vito Russo. It details the representations of lesbians and gay men throughout movie history with amazing footage going back to the birth of the moving picture.

by Anonymousreply 20March 5, 2011 1:04 AM

[quote]Not most homophobic, but in The Hangover they kept teasing some guy by calling him Dr. Faggot. That's so gay. No, they didn't keep calling him that. I read on Datalounge that it was homophobic, so I avoided it until recently. It's much funnier that I had expected. There's one exchange early on: dentist's mean girlfriend: I just wish your friends were as mature as you. dentist: They are mature. You just have to get to know them. immature friend outside the house: Paging Dr. Faggot. girlfriend: I guess you'd better get going, Dr. Faggot (bitter sarcasm). That's might not be exact, but it's close. It's supposed to show the friend is regressing to adolescence in anticipation of the stag party.

by Anonymousreply 21March 5, 2011 1:06 AM

Norman is That You?

or

The Birdcage

by Anonymousreply 22March 5, 2011 1:20 AM

I agree with you, R15. That bothered the crap out of me. It was so obvious the negative message he was trying to convey about gay men.%0D %0D BTW, I'm a straight woman.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 23March 5, 2011 1:23 AM

[quote]Mel Gibson created a gay British prince who DID NOT EXIST at the time of William Wallace just so the gay prince's boyfriend could be hurled out the window of a castle to his death

Prince Edward, later King Edward II *DID* exist and was likely gay or bi(he fathered at least five children from 2 different women). He father however did not have his lover killed (much less thrown out the window) instead exiled him to France (he returned when the old King died)

Gibson of course introduces this cheesy plot about Wallace actually being the father of the homo-prince's son (Edward III).

by Anonymousreply 24March 5, 2011 2:11 AM

The Silence of the Lambs = Lotion in the Basket Queen Will Skin Your Daughter

The Lion King = Uncle Scar: Usurping Fag

Spartacus = Effeminate Crassus Likes Snails and Oysters, Will Crucify You

by Anonymousreply 25March 5, 2011 2:14 AM

R21- please fuck off and die. I'm SO tired of pieces of shit like you making excuses for homophobic garbage. You're filth.

by Anonymousreply 26March 5, 2011 2:54 AM

There's still so much homophobia in movies- it's very telling. A business full of closet cases who use the word "fag" as a cover for their private realities. That's what makes garbage like the Hangover so infuriating. A movie starring a closet case, so of course it has to resort to gay slurs.

by Anonymousreply 27March 5, 2011 2:56 AM

Really Old Gay Guy here: Frank Sinatra in Tony Rome. The most evil, hateful movie ever as it relates to Gays and Lesbians.%0D %0D It is a wonder that they even show it on TV these days. Just horrible.

by Anonymousreply 28March 5, 2011 3:02 AM

I own this thread.

by Anonymousreply 29March 5, 2011 3:05 AM

R5's YT link has this comment...%0D %0D Charlie is said to suffer%EF%BB%BF from 'tinymeat' (= less than 7 inches hard).%0D %0D Discuss.%0D %0D mrspatrickcampbell 6 hours ago %0D %0D R5 ...was that you? (g)%0D %0D That film could certainly make one 80sphobic. Eww.%0D %0D Rod Steiger in "No Way To Treat A Lady" in response to being called "homo".. "It doesn't make you a bad person".

by Anonymousreply 30March 5, 2011 3:10 AM

I'd imagine the script (such as it was) was written well before Cooper was cast, R27.

I'm ultimately not particularly hopeful that casual homophobia will disappear from Hollywood movies anytime soon. Straight men seem to have a boundless appetite for misogynistic humor and gay panic jokes -- watching women and the men who (they think) are stupid enough to want to be like women get humiliated is mother's milk to them.

by Anonymousreply 31March 5, 2011 3:10 AM

Yep, Braveheart tops my list, as well.%0D %0D As for The Hangover...a gay friend raved about it and coerced me into seeing it. Bradley Cooper's character - a teacher - calls one of his students (out of earshot) a "fag" and later, of course, uses the "Paging Dr. Faggot" line. A disgusting film and I didn't laugh once. If I hadn't been with a friend, I would've walked out.

by Anonymousreply 32March 5, 2011 3:13 AM

"If you were a woman, I'd know how to compete with you"

by Anonymousreply 33March 5, 2011 3:14 AM

The Rod Steiger movie THE SERGEANT

by Anonymousreply 34March 5, 2011 3:15 AM

Exactly R27.A lot of these movies are also written by closet cases.

by Anonymousreply 35March 5, 2011 3:19 AM

Interiors when crazed stalker Elizabeth Ashley rifled through Talia Shire's trashcan to sniff a discarded tampon. %0D %0D A Different Story when a gay man, Perry King, and a lesbian, Meg Foster, discover heterosexual love with one another while smearing frosting on each other's naked bodies. %0D %0D They Only Kill Their Masters. James Garner and Katherine Ross yuck it up as a pair of sleuths out to discover whether foul play wan involved in the death of a pregnant lesbian who was torn to pieces by a doberman.

by Anonymousreply 36March 5, 2011 3:21 AM

Very true, R34%0D %0D One of a long line of "The Queer Ends Up Dead Some Way Or Another For Wahtever Reason" movies.%0D %0D Did anyone mention "The Children's Hour" yet?

by Anonymousreply 37March 5, 2011 3:23 AM

R31- how brilliant and astute you are not!

You totally missed the point, Einstein.

by Anonymousreply 38March 5, 2011 3:24 AM

"Boys Beware" is sort of homophobic in a way.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39March 5, 2011 3:28 AM

"Interiors when crazed stalker Elizabeth Ashley rifled through Talia Shire's trashcan to sniff a discarded tampon."

Interiors? Is there a different movie Interiors, other than the Woody Allen movie?

by Anonymousreply 40March 5, 2011 3:30 AM

r36, the Elizabeth Ashley - Talia Shire movie is "Windows," not "Interiors."

by Anonymousreply 41March 5, 2011 3:31 AM

No, I didn't miss your point.

You seem to believe that homophobia exists in movies because a lot of the people who create movies are self-hating closet cases. I believe homophobia exists in movies because straight men love their privilege and get off on degrading women and gay men (or watching them be degraded).

by Anonymousreply 42March 5, 2011 3:36 AM

Isn't it interesting how many really homophobic movies Paul Rudd appears in? He's married, you know.

by Anonymousreply 43March 5, 2011 3:37 AM

Huh, r29. You're right: you try to have sex with the locals, and they will kill you and rip you apart. Not very appealing.

I saw this at a revival house in Chicago with my ext about 20 years ago, and still think about it. Problem is, when lz Taylor said, then they devoured him! I always thought she said "THen they DEFLOWERED him." My ex, thankfully, set me straight

by Anonymousreply 44March 5, 2011 3:38 AM

R42- the two are not mutually exclusive. Homophobia is a complex phenomenon. I never said that it was the only reason, but it is one of the reasons.

by Anonymousreply 45March 5, 2011 3:39 AM

Silence of the Lambs is at the top of any such list. Even the author of the book condemned the movie as homophobic. Michelle Pfeiffer turned down the role, in part, because of the homophobia. Funny how Jodie Foster had no problem with it...

by Anonymousreply 46March 5, 2011 3:42 AM

R45, binary thinking only, please.

by Anonymousreply 47March 5, 2011 3:43 AM

basic instict... every single female in that movie is bisexual AND a murderer.

by Anonymousreply 48March 5, 2011 3:44 AM

Rocky Horror Picture Show?

by Anonymousreply 49March 5, 2011 3:51 AM

R47- LOL! Forgot I was on datalounge. :)

by Anonymousreply 50March 5, 2011 3:52 AM

In shared national experience I'd say Hollywood and TV have done more to puncture fears of the weirdness of gay people than any laws, speeches or proclamations.

by Anonymousreply 51March 5, 2011 3:55 AM

Complex phenomenon, granted.

But it's funny that for someone who's so concerned about homophobia in our popular culture, your first response was to blame gay people for creating and perpetuating it.

Blaming gay people for the problems that face gay people? I would say you're the one dealing in lazy datalounge tropes, not me.

by Anonymousreply 52March 5, 2011 4:06 AM

The sad part is that it didn't have to be like this. I remember when 'Boys in the Sand' came out gay and straight couples alike would attend screenings at the local supper club, a place where you would dine while watching the film. It was a sign of sophistication and elegance to attend gay films. But it was the insecure, juvenile troublemakers who had to snicker at things that were different that turned the tide on gay acceptance. Much more so than churches at the time.

by Anonymousreply 53March 5, 2011 4:15 AM

R51- no.

As Shirley McClaine observes in the Celluloid Closet, Hollywood doesn't lead it follows. As gay people fought for our rights, Hollywood tried to jump on the bandwagon. It's ludicrous to make the assertion you're making. Even after the modern gay rights movement had started making strides, Films and television shows continued promoting homophobia. It was only when gay people protested those shows that things started turning around.

And when HIV/AIDS appeared on the scene, Hollywood had the worse reaction. Actors couldn't get work, and were virtually blacklisted.

Sorry, you couldn't be more wrong.

by Anonymousreply 54March 5, 2011 5:05 AM

R52- you're absurd. Completely absurd. I never blamed open, self affirming gay people for anything. Closet cases are often responsible for attacks on the gay community, dear. Don't follow politics, do you? Evangelical ministers? Catholic priests? You must be completely out of touch. Please spare me your bullshit straw man accusation. I never blamed "gay people" for anything. I AM blaming self-loathing homophobes for persecuting gay people, and I'm completely right. You MUST be a closet-case. Please don't even bother denying it.

by Anonymousreply 55March 5, 2011 5:09 AM

I'm emphatically not closeted, and I agree with you, closeted cases are responsible for some of the attacks on the gay community, and they are cowards and assholes. But for every Lindsey Graham there is a Rick Santorum, and a Mike Huckabee, and a Newt Gingrich, and a John McCain, etc.

Gay people who are closeted are closeted because the culture at large is homophobic (and because they are cowardly assholes who aren't brave enough to confront that head on). The vast majority of anti-gay bullshit that gets tossed around comes from straight people (and particularly from straight men). Do you disagree?

You can feel free to heap icy contempt on closeted homophobes. I won't stop you (and I'll join you), but I'm saving most of mine for the people who are doing us (and pretty much every other minority out there) the most damage.

by Anonymousreply 56March 5, 2011 5:25 AM

Why has NO ONE mentioned the gay "Song of the South" - Al Pacino's 1980 film, 'Cruisin'.

by Anonymousreply 57March 5, 2011 5:41 AM

The film of 'Basic Instinct' has an interesting backstory, R48.

Originally the Glenn Close character didn't die but preview audiences were outraged: THAT BITCH MUST DIE! was the feedback from men and women so they went back and shot the ending we see today. Realistically, the true villain of the piece should surely be the Michael Douglas character who cheated on his wife and exploited a vulnerable mistress. Of course the film takes great pains to blacken the Glenn Close character (what? She a threat to THE HELPLESS CHILDREN?? KILL HER!!!

And WHAT a death??!!! She's like the undead - put a stake in her!

The movie's sick heterosexual revenge fantasy turned my stomach.

by Anonymousreply 58March 5, 2011 5:43 AM

r57, OP mentioned it right away.

by Anonymousreply 59March 5, 2011 5:45 AM

Jeez, r58, you're talking about Fatal Attraction, not Basic Instinct.

by Anonymousreply 60March 5, 2011 5:47 AM

I can't read!

by Anonymousreply 61March 5, 2011 5:49 AM

Ouch, R60. An attack of Oldtimers Disease.

Mea culpa!

by Anonymousreply 62March 5, 2011 5:55 AM

YEs, the Rod Steiger movie The Sergeant - he has to shoot himself when he realieses how he really feels about soldier John Philip Law, who rebuffs his advances. %0D %0D But a lot of those late 60s early 70s trash movies like The Love Machine has the word Fag tossed around all the time. I hope Dyan Cannon cringes if she ever watches herself in it again, the way she keeps calling John Philip Law (again!) a fag as she can get him sacked from his media job if she can prove he is! David Hemmings (sending up his Blowup image) is the very gay photographer who also has the hots for John!

by Anonymousreply 63March 5, 2011 5:59 AM

"Rocky Horror Picture Show?"

No... you Moron. The Rocky Horror Picture Shows entire message is something to the effect of " Don't just dream your life, Live it". Hardly a homophobic message.

by Anonymousreply 64March 5, 2011 6:45 AM

Another Gay Movie. It wouldn't be so bad except for the one character.

by Anonymousreply 65March 5, 2011 7:03 AM

In the original Fatal Attraction, Glenn Close's character kills herself. That's what the Madame Butterfly scene is all about. No?

by Anonymousreply 66March 5, 2011 12:21 PM

r2, You're right. I loved Eddie but that was horrible, just despicable. No one can gay bash like a gay. Just like back in the day you could tell certain people were passing (JE Hoover, for example) because of their virulent hatred, more than anything.

A Tyler Perry play is pretty up there as well, he doesn't transfer some of the stuff he does i the play to the movie so I guess this doesn't come. I skip movies where I can see that coming.

by Anonymousreply 67March 5, 2011 12:27 PM

Yes, you're right R66. I got that detail wrong too. Sheesh!

At least the rest of my "making of..." tale is correct, or what's left of it.

by Anonymousreply 68March 5, 2011 12:34 PM

"Silence Of The Lambs"? Don't really get the Homophobia label just because the villain is perceived to be gay or Transgendered. Just watched it last week again uncut and Lechter clearly says the character thinks he's trans but Lechter says he doesn't think he is, just incredibly insane to be doing what he's doing.

by Anonymousreply 69March 5, 2011 12:36 PM

Hostel - the characters call each other %E2%80%9Cfaggot%E2%80%9D throughout the entire length of the movie.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 70March 5, 2011 1:16 PM

I watched a copy of "Fatal Attraction" and that scene where he plays the cassette of Alex's creepy diatribe against him, the word "faggot" had disappeared. I distinctly remember her calling him that in the original.

by Anonymousreply 71March 5, 2011 9:26 PM

R69= legally deaf and blind.

It astonishes me just how stupid some people are.

by Anonymousreply 72March 6, 2011 3:22 AM

I agree with R69, I don't see Silence of the Lambs to be especially homophobic. Buffalo Bill certainly was a nasty character but I didn't see him represent gays really. He was a psychopath wanting to transform to something else, and his craziness really made him something much more than a gay person, although of course he was that, too.

One might argue, though, that his character was created to be disgusting for both (straight) men and women. Straight men might find the mixture of masculinity and feminity in him very confusing and frightening, and mixed with his nasty and psychopathic personality that makes him something nightmares are made of. On top of that women of course are scared him because of his skin-wanting ways.

In a way I must admit that I don't mind strong and frightening gay characters like Buffalo Bill because they are something straight people are scared of. We can be just as strong and bad as hets are. We are not just some soft dudes from Queer Eye wanting to serve the hets.

And let's not forget that many real serial killers have been gay, e.g. Jeffrey Dahmer, Andrew Cunanan and John Wayne Gacy. So I don't mind at all if some serial killers in the films are gay, if the film itself is not homophobic in other ways, and I don't think Silence was.

by Anonymousreply 73March 6, 2011 5:08 AM

'Boat Trip' is chock-full of every tired and clich%C3%A9d gay stereotype you can imagine. Truly a colossal piece of celluloid shit if there ever was one.

by Anonymousreply 74March 6, 2011 5:33 AM

Braveheart -

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75March 6, 2011 5:37 AM

This trailer has to be seen to be believed -

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76March 6, 2011 5:41 AM

Some of you overlook the fact that to the average (ie, straight, young) moviegoer, the villain in SILENCE OF THE LAMBS was, in fact, gay. Really, really gay. The movie played into every cultural myth that gay men despise women to the point of murder, yet want to be them.

Distinctions of "transgender/transvestite/ confused" were and are completely lost on most of the public, and the movie doesn't do that much to clarify them.

It's a homophobic film, and in retrospect, not an especially good one.

by Anonymousreply 77March 6, 2011 5:44 AM

Oh my God, someone finally put some scenes from "Partners" up on Youtube -

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78March 6, 2011 5:44 AM

"Staircase" was pretty vile.

by Anonymousreply 79March 6, 2011 5:48 AM

R5, what movie is that?

by Anonymousreply 80March 6, 2011 8:34 AM

F & F this moron folk.

by Anonymousreply 82March 6, 2011 8:44 AM

Even though it provided lots of pleasing eye candy, I nominate "Troy". Only because the story was horribly whitewashed to removed the sexual relationship between Achilles and Patroclus, which should have been absolutely central to the whole thing. Instead of being his lover, Patroclus was miraculously became the 'cousin' of Achilles instead. Achilles vows to seek revenge against the Trojan prince Hector only after Hector kills 'cousin' Patroclus. Hollywood really screwed up this time. %0D %0D Apparently the image of two strong heroic men who love each other truly and passionately would have been too much for audiences to believe. Who cares if they change a story that has been around for millennia?

by Anonymousreply 83March 6, 2011 12:25 PM

R81 it might be killing you but it's not killing us. We just think you're a whack job. No one is listening but you know that and get off on that.

by Anonymousreply 84March 6, 2011 12:58 PM

Reply #84 does not speak for me.%0D

by Anonymousreply 85March 9, 2011 12:39 AM

I Love You, I Don't(1976). A gay man tries to love a boyish woman but she can't tolerate the pain of anal sex.

by Anonymousreply 86March 9, 2011 8:35 PM

Ooh, I think I remember "I love you, I don't" AKA "Je t'aime...moi non plus". Wasn't it directed by Serge Gainsbourg with Jane Birkin playing the shy, boyish waitress and Joe Dalessandro the gay truck driver?

by Anonymousreply 87March 9, 2011 8:43 PM

Good One R83 . "It's my ... cousin. That's right, err... cousin."%0D %0D Also, in the French movie La D%C3%A9robade, the young sensitive female prostitute thinks she has found a nice young man. She thinks he romantically respects her.%0D Turns out he wants to be with her because he is a gay transvestite and he wants to share with someone who he thinks will understand difference. %0D The heroine then hysterically collapses. It's clear you are meant to believe she has hit rock bottom with that guy. Prositution is really degrading cause you can meet men who are completely deranged : the worse of them dress as women!%0D %0D Hated this.

by Anonymousreply 88March 9, 2011 8:59 PM

The TV show Modern Family shows gay men in the most homophobic light ever.%0D Thay are like 2 of the 3 Stooges - Larry and Curley.%0D They exist only to make hetero men feel superior.

by Anonymousreply 89March 9, 2011 9:18 PM

Well, R78, Partners is certainly a dumb movie, perpetuating dumb stereotypes, but I'll always remember that one of my uncles who was (probably still is) a homophobe had a commetn about how Gays should be treated more fairly, how policemen are needlessly bastards towards them, after watching that film.%0D %0D But then, I suppose it tells more about some people in my family than the film itself.%0D %0D And, yes, Suddenly Last Summer. Not only is it homophobic but also xenophobic. And over the top! Yeesh!

by Anonymousreply 90March 9, 2011 9:23 PM

r89 please Mary. All the families on Modern Family are clownish, not just the gay men. Save your outrage for real homophobia.

by Anonymousreply 91March 9, 2011 9:31 PM

I always laughed at the scene where Edward II's boyfriend gets hurled out the window in BRAVEHEART, but not because he's gay, but because he's just so fucking smarmy & cocksure of himself when he presents his resume to Edward the 1st. He was so obnoxious, I would have personally defenestrated him myself had I been the king. Not homophobic, imo.

by Anonymousreply 92March 9, 2011 10:01 PM

Thinking like R92 here.%0D The timing is funny and lets face it, the father/king is the entertaining vilain of the film. He does quantity of heinous things. %0D %0D If it hadn't been made by Mel Gibson, who happens to be homophobe, I would still find it funny.%0D %0D As it is, it takes another tone, when I remember who wrote it.

by Anonymousreply 93March 9, 2011 10:14 PM

Don't forget about me -

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94March 9, 2011 10:36 PM

Any movie that has audience members yelling "Kill the fag!" at the screen is likely to be intentionally homophobic. "Braveheart" is such a movie. At every theatre on earth where that movie was shown, people yelled "Kill the fag!" when the king threw the gay guy to his death. And that gay prince did NOT EXIST during the lifetime of William wallace.

by Anonymousreply 95March 10, 2011 11:11 PM

I also remember that, r71.

by Anonymousreply 96March 10, 2011 11:18 PM

I don't see suddenly last summer as homophobic though I understand it can be thought as such. It is too over the top for that but the characters are more complex than that. The death of Sebastian can be viewed as society's cruel response to being gay and there are several allusions in the movie that confirm this.

by Anonymousreply 97March 10, 2011 11:43 PM

I agree with the poster who mentioned "A Different Story". Any movie which attempts to 'turn' a gay man straight is vile in my book.

by Anonymousreply 98March 10, 2011 11:55 PM

Anything gay-for-pay.

by Anonymousreply 99March 12, 2011 12:15 AM

[quote]Any movie that has audience members yelling "Kill the fag!" at the screen is likely to be intentionally homophobic. "Braveheart" is such a movie. At every theatre on earth where that movie was shown, people yelled "Kill the fag!" when the king threw the gay guy to his death. And that gay prince did NOT EXIST during the lifetime of William wallace.

Dear God. What a flashback. I saw 'Braveheart' on opening weekend. The claps and cheers from the audience when the "homosexual" was tossed to his death gave me the chills.

Moments like that sharply remind me that no matter how much tolerance and acceptance the straight folk claim to have, in reality, behind those kind smiles, they really wish every one of us would "go away". We all know where that type of thinking leads.

by Anonymousreply 100March 12, 2011 12:24 AM

"No one can gay bash like a gay." How true! Remember Dom Deluise as the emperor in Mel Brooks' "History of the World: Part 1"? He issues the immortal line: "Ok, faggot! What's next?" Oh, the irony.

by Anonymousreply 101February 19, 2012 10:38 PM

The Abominable Dr. Phibes.

makes queens with mascara look evil.

by Anonymousreply 102February 19, 2012 10:43 PM

I don't see anything wrong with bad guys being gay. The gay community has its fair share of jerks like any other group of people.

Demeaning portrayal of gay characters and reducing them to a punchline is what offends me.

I hate "Made for each other" which is some cheap comedy with the Masterson brothers. One guy bangs his friend's mother. When the friend is getting suspicious the guy claims to be gay. In the end the truth comes out and the friend is perfectly ok with the guy banging his mom since that means he doesn't have a gay friend to deal with after all.

by Anonymousreply 103February 19, 2012 11:05 PM

Let me qualify that I am a liberal, and a Obama supporter, I think the GOP is racists at its core. However, I can be honest with my self and state that even though nobody has a right to tell one who they can fall in love with and that gay couples have a right to the same benefits as straight couples, I deep down never want to see two guys kissing on TV or a Viagra ad of two gay men. I do think that should stay in the closet. Fine get married and stop, I really cringe at the homo life style.

by Anonymousreply 104April 6, 2012 1:12 PM

Um...

Anyway, let's not forget that Cuba Gooding, Jr. thing in which he went on a gay cruise.

by Anonymousreply 105April 6, 2012 1:20 PM

All About Eve.

by Anonymousreply 106April 6, 2012 1:30 PM

I agree in regards to "The Lion King". I normally love me some Disney, but I've only watched that movie once (I have it on VHS). The gay villain was just completely unnecessary in a children's film - that's just wrong and damaging to susceptible minds.

by Anonymousreply 107April 6, 2012 1:39 PM

Waiting with Ryan Reynolds, it seemed the whole point of the movie was just to degrade and insult gay men.

I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry

Of course one issue is the fact that gay men are at best totally ignored and omitted from almost all Hollywood films, when they do appear, they are only there as camp fun for straights to mock and laugh at.

by Anonymousreply 108April 6, 2012 1:41 PM

Um I'll assume we're aware 'Boys in the Band' and 'Boys in the Sand' are different movies.

Casey Donovan's 'Boys in the Sand' was most certainly NOT shown in public theaters.

Thanks for the laugh

by Anonymousreply 109April 6, 2012 1:45 PM

Diary of a Mad Housewife

"You're a FAG!"

by Anonymousreply 110April 6, 2012 1:46 PM

[quote] Some of you overlook the fact that to the average (ie, straight, young) moviegoer, the villain in SILENCE OF THE LAMBS was, in fact, gay. Really, really gay.

In the book, Buffalo Bill was very effeminate. I pictured Richard Simmons. In the film, they cut out all the effeminate stuff and gave Bill a very deep voice. I think it is because Demme didn't want to perpetuate stereotypes.

by Anonymousreply 111April 6, 2012 1:51 PM

[quote] Silence of the Lambs is at the top of any such list. Even the author of the book condemned the movie as homophobic.

Well he's a hypocritical asshole because the character was far more stereotypically mincingly gay in the book than in the movie.

by Anonymousreply 112April 6, 2012 1:57 PM

Always hated those "fag must die" moves which were pretty common in the old days, but the ones that get under my skin are those Roman Empire epics. The emperor was always portrayed as some rancid queen who was inevitably twelve eggs short of a dozen - see "Quo Vadis", "The Robe", et al.

by Anonymousreply 113April 6, 2012 1:58 PM

The Hangover, Braveheart, Silence of the Lambs? You guys have to go farther back. I think of Shirley MacLaine's character in "The Children's Hour" where she breaks down and screams "I'm sick in the head!" (bc she is a lesbian). She then hangs herself.

by Anonymousreply 114April 6, 2012 2:09 PM

What about the beloved gay "icon" Streisand? In "For Pete's Sake" she tells an effeminate grocery store clerk, "Keep the Fruit Loops, you'll love them!"

by Anonymousreply 115April 6, 2012 2:20 PM

"No Way Out"

by Anonymousreply 116April 6, 2012 3:15 PM

Pretty much all of Ryan Reynold's movies. He made a career out of fratboy homophobia.

by Anonymousreply 117April 6, 2012 3:26 PM

I don't have a problem with the villain in Silence of the Lambs. I do have a problem with the fact that nobody seems to have the faintest idea how to sew and they not know the difference between a dart and a gusset.

by Anonymousreply 118April 6, 2012 3:32 PM

Braveheart isn't just homophobic because of turning the death of the prince's lover into a joke, but also William Wallace has to impregnant the prince's wife at the end.

In truth, the princess was six years old and in France at the time of Wallace's death.

Derek Jarman made a good movie of the Marlowe play, Edward II about him.

But the real history is interesting, Edward II was deposed because people felt his male favorites had too much power over him, which was probably a fair criticism. I remember a history professor of mine said that at first, his wife was fine with her husband's male lovers because that meant no female rivals at court and no bastard children of the king to contend with. But when he stopped having sex with her all together and lavished honors that should have been hers on his lovers, she got pissed.

But Mel Gibson made Prince Edward into this fey ineffectual joke, when the real Edward was a formidable figure in his youth - and no dummy. It's just his passions got the better of him.

by Anonymousreply 119April 6, 2012 3:57 PM

R118=MARY!

by Anonymousreply 120April 6, 2012 3:59 PM

Maybe I'm twisted, but I love antiquated movies like "Windows," "Partners," and "A Different Story" just because they seem to come from another dimension.

And I don't think "Cruising" is a homophobic movie at all.

There's a 1960s movie called "The Gay Deceivers" about two gays who pretend to be gay so they don't have to go to Vietnam. Some of it is absolutely cringeworthy, but it's such a relic that it's hard to be too offended.

I've never seen "Braveheart" (and never plan to do so) but the window scene sounds like Mel Gibson through and through.

by Anonymousreply 121April 6, 2012 4:16 PM

^ "...two GUYS who pretend to be gay..."

by Anonymousreply 122April 6, 2012 4:21 PM

The problem with "Gay Deceivers" is the coda where the father explains the effect that playing gay will have on their life, e.g., never be able to have a government job, never pass a security clearance, etc. While it may have been completely accurate at the time, the fact that it was obviously tacked on, possibly after the fact, is pretty creepy and ends the film on a sour note.

by Anonymousreply 123April 6, 2012 4:21 PM

Add American Beauty to the list. This piece of shit got an oscar for having a closet case be the killer man.

by Anonymousreply 124April 6, 2012 4:24 PM

Reprehensible as A DIFFERENT STORY is, I was surprised that the tone of the film wasn't mean-spirited.

But things haven't changed too much. Not too long ago, there was a British mini-series called BOB AND ROSE, in which a gay man winds up being attracted to a woman and they fall in love. It was made by the same guy who did the British QAF and TORCHWOOD.

I saw it and noticed that the general depiction of gay life was not positive. But then I felt the same way about QAF: sex-obsessed, dead-end lives.

Yet people who would trash A DIFERENT STORY were just delighted with BOB & ROSE.

by Anonymousreply 125April 6, 2012 4:31 PM

'I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry' has few rivals. And that Ving Rhames part was the limit.

by Anonymousreply 126April 6, 2012 4:39 PM

There's homophobic content, and then there's homophobic editing.

Cat on a Hot Tin Roof comes to mind, when any mention of what the "issue" was between Skipper and Brick is cut out to the point that if you don't know - the plot makes no sense.

by Anonymousreply 127April 6, 2012 4:44 PM

Uh R124 - If anything, the moral of the story is that if the closet case wasn't in such deep denial, he wouldn't have been such a psycho to his wife, kid, and ultimately his neighbors. I don't see it as homophobic, I see it as condemning the closet. His violence had nothing to do with being queer, it had to do with being queer and not being able to handle it.

by Anonymousreply 128April 6, 2012 4:51 PM

R15, you are half right.

Edward II indeed did exist, and he became the King of England in 1307, two years after Wallace's death. Edward was indeed rumored to be homosexual, and that his lover was Piers Gaveston. He was the heir apparent during the First War of Scottish Independence.

Gaveston was killed in 1312, by sword, not by being thrown out the window, and yes, changing the nature and timeline of that event to suit the film is homophobic.

by Anonymousreply 129April 6, 2012 4:54 PM

I think some cases of homophobia in movies can be attributed to simple HABIT moreso than straight guys' demand to see gay men degraded.

In the early days of cinema, it was more rampant for many reasons discussed in The Celluloid Closet. Nowadays, it's just a vestige, and film makers are not as creative these days, so they rely on these old bits...when in reality the laughs don't play out as well as they used to.

This is true for a lot of slapstick humor - it's just very dated...and it keeps making little 'comebacks' when filmmakers get lazy.

Yeah, sometimes homophobic humor is included in media to directly satisfy the demographic, but sometimes it's just a leftover from an era, and if it were erased, MOST people wouldn't 'miss' it.

by Anonymousreply 130April 6, 2012 5:03 PM

[quote]I don't see anything wrong with bad guys being gay.

The problem is that classic film portrayals of gay men were ALWAYS bad. It was an excuse to keep us in the Closet.

Why don't you know that?

by Anonymousreply 131April 6, 2012 5:05 PM

R125, Wasn't the plot inspired by a friend of his though?

by Anonymousreply 132April 6, 2012 5:11 PM

No Way Out is the worst because it comes from an era of gay consciousness AND Will Patton plays a toady with an unrequited love for a straight man who is willing to take..and given the blame, for events, to protect his hero.

by Anonymousreply 133April 6, 2012 5:37 PM

Plus he's a creepy killer on top of that. And a worshipper of power. And self-loathing. And just horrible in every way, shape, and form.

Plus he's a fucking Patton.

by Anonymousreply 134April 6, 2012 5:44 PM

Chuck and Larry. Just, wow.

by Anonymousreply 135April 6, 2012 5:45 PM

Other films in which gay characters are dehumanized and killed for fun are Lucky Number Slevin and Crank. In Crank the guy is a friend of the hero, but he is still a laughable fag who gets shot and hilariously used as a human shield for 10 minutes. (This is of course also the hero who rapes his own girlfriend and is cheered on by the people in the street. I can't believe this movie.)

by Anonymousreply 136April 6, 2012 6:10 PM

Excuse me, but to show the immaturity of Bradley Cooper's character by letting him use the word "faggot" twice doesn't put Hangover anywhere near the top 1000 homophobic films of all time. The racism is more problematic in this one.

by Anonymousreply 137April 6, 2012 6:14 PM

I'm as offended by Mickey Rooney's Asian characterization in Breakfast AT Tiffany's as any of the homophobic movies listed here, Blake Edwards should have made a directors cut before he died. Rooney could easily have been left on the cutting room floor, with only a positive effect on the movie. He is just awful.

by Anonymousreply 138April 6, 2012 6:32 PM

The gay wedding scene in SATC2. It should be classified as a hate crime.

by Anonymousreply 139April 6, 2012 7:50 PM

Need to cast James Franco in remake of Cruising--Hot!

by Anonymousreply 140April 6, 2012 7:56 PM

Yeah - I find "Gay Deceivers" dated more than homophobic.

by Anonymousreply 141April 6, 2012 8:15 PM

Homophobic editing: I really hate A Streetcar Named Desire movie for degaying Blanche's husband. The whole story made no sense that way. Yeah, it might be from 1950, but it pisses me off.

by Anonymousreply 142April 6, 2012 8:16 PM

Somehow, "Elephant" comes to mind -- making the Columbine killers gay lovers, kissing as they shower together. Like some right-winger decided their desire to kill wasn't perversion enough, they must be gay too! I love Gus but that was sooooo weird, impossible to rationalize. A jaw dropper.

Said it before and, weird as it sounds, no movie pissed me off more than "Legally Blonde". The witness identified as gay because he knew women's shoe brand (as if) so therefore couldn't be woman's lover (again, as if), already stupid enough -- but then he turns into raging queen on the spot and his fellow raging queen chimes in with "You bitch!"

I literally wanted to kill the two women who wrote that piece of shit. "Kill the gay" ala "Braveheart" is the worst but "Gay by cliched behavior" is really bad too.

by Anonymousreply 143April 6, 2012 8:38 PM

I haven't seen Elephant, but didn't they kiss because they were going to die? And of course together? That makes sense to me, poetically, no matter the character's gender and sexual orientation.

Gus main motivation was of course that he likes boys to kiss.

by Anonymousreply 144April 6, 2012 8:47 PM

A sad kiss before the end sounds nice and poetic... but this was a brief makeout session in the shower. Matter of fact, like they showered together all the time. Like I said, not sure if really offensive or just... bizarre. Watch film and report back what you think.

by Anonymousreply 145April 6, 2012 8:51 PM

The 1986 Clint Eastwood movie about the invasion of Grenada, "Heartbreak Ridge."

It inspired what is one of the funniest Pauline Kael reviews ever:

"It's well known that many people have strong feelings about anal intercourse, but it's doubtful if a whole movie had ever been devoted to the expression of those feelings until this one. Clint Eastwood, who directed, plays (so to speak) a Medal of Honor winner from the Korean War and a decorated Vietnam vet--a Marine gunner sergeant whose abhorrence of being put in a passive sexual position seems to be what makes him super-tough and manly. The marines in his platoon stand waiting while Old Gunny wraps his jowls around witless scurrilous insults, all involving what he's going to shove up their orifices. This should be the portrait of a pathetic vulgarian militarist with terrible anal-aggressive problems, but Eastwood presents him as a great fighting man, a relic of a time when men were men. And, in the last half hour, the film presents proof of what Gunny's training does for his platoon: it celebrates Grenada as a victory that evens the score, after a tie in Korea and a loss in Vietnam. This movie is offensive on just about every level."

by Anonymousreply 146April 6, 2012 8:52 PM

That is one of those ...sad attempts by gays that makes us look bad things. When Columbine happened a lot of gay people said, well they must be gay and oppressed. They weren't gay, they weren't oppressed, and they definitely never showered together. The right of course, insisted for years afterward that they were gay, but the evidence was all against that. However, some dumb little queens decided to make a movie portraying them as oppressed gays to make them more sympathetic. Mad and crazy self-loathing, the same way gays embraced Philadelphia for scaring the public into thinking their homophobia would be met by lawsuits, which never happened either in Philadelphia nor anywhere else.

Sometimes gays who don't think through what they are doing are as dumb and self-hating as homophobes.

by Anonymousreply 147April 6, 2012 9:08 PM

WINDOWS is on Youtube. It's truly one for the books. Ashley said she only took it because her agent advised her that she had turned down too many movie and TV roles to focus on Broadway work, and that if she kept doing that, the phones would stop ringing.

But a bizzare movie. Ashley's psychotic behavior is never explained, so it's assumed that because she's a lesbian, she's insane. She paid for Shire to get raped, so she could listen to the tapes. And WTF was up with Talia Shire getting back in the cab even though she knew the driver was the one who raped her?

by Anonymousreply 148April 6, 2012 9:23 PM

I found No Way Out totally unbelievable. A gay man is going to crush on Gene Hackman when Kevin Costner, in navy whites, is there?

by Anonymousreply 149April 7, 2012 12:44 AM

I just watched Evening (2007) the other day and while I wouldn't necessarily call it homophobic, it also wasn't the most progressive examination of the topic.

It was actually rather archiac (spoilers ahead if you've not seen it): Hugh Dancy's character is named Buddy, who has apparently been suppressing his desire for the housekeeper's hunky son (Patrick Wilson) for years, so much so that now he's a raging alcoholic, desperately trying to convince himself that he's in love with Claire Danes and when she publicly shames him, he stumbles after her and Wilson (who are heading off to make love) and gets killed by a hit-and-run driver.

You'd think it was 1957 and not 2007 when this movie was made. And to think that Michael Cunningham co-wrote the screenplay.

by Anonymousreply 150April 7, 2012 1:13 AM

"Grease"

John Travolta -> Gay and married

Olivia Newton-John -> Gay and married

Stockyard Channing -> Insists her name is Stockard not Stockyard so she's really a lez

Jeff Conaway -> Dead druggie who traded his body for sex for drugs. But only with men.

Eve Arden -> Lez used to fuck Miss Jane and Alice on the Brady Bunch.

Frankie Avalon and Frankie Valli, two closets gay guys.

Do I have to go on? All gays and only Alan Carr will admit it. And he got the AIDS from the Village People on his flop "Can't Stop The Music"

by Anonymousreply 151April 7, 2012 11:30 AM

R128, I agree that's the moral of the story. But I see it as a poor, even if it can be accurate in hopefully very few cases, potrayal of homosexuals.

by Anonymousreply 152April 7, 2012 11:56 AM

[quote]WINDOWS is on Youtube. It's truly one for the books. Ashley said she only took it because her agent advised her that she had turned down too many movie and TV roles to focus on Broadway work, and that if she kept doing that, the phones would stop ringing. But a bizzare movie. Ashley's psychotic behavior is never explained, so it's assumed that because she's a lesbian, she's insane. She paid for Shire to get raped, so she could listen to the tapes. And WTF was up with Talia Shire getting back in the cab even though she knew the driver was the one who raped her?

Thanks, r148 - I've wanted to see this for years and watched it last night after reading your post.

It was directed by one of the all-time great cinematographers, Gordon Willis, so it was inexplicable how bad it looked (Willis never directed again). Elizabeth Ashley is the most understated she's ever been - she actually looks embarrassed much of the time. Talia Shire just cries and looks catatonic.

Besides the homophobic aspect, none of this makes any sense whatsoever... we never find out how or why these women know each other. The part where Shire realizes her cab driver was her rapist, convinces him to let her out to make a call, then gets back in the cab and lets him drive her away is a high point in implausible cinema.

You know from the beginning that Talia Shire's cat is in for it (particularly after it scratches Ashley), and I really didn't want to see its mangled corpse, but when it happens it's such a fake, ludicrous dime-store model of a cat that I busted out laughing. Hard to believe this was the same man who made "Annie Hall" and the Godfather movies look so good.

by Anonymousreply 153April 7, 2012 4:43 PM

Schindler's list

by Anonymousreply 154April 7, 2012 4:51 PM

From Slap Shot, the most homophobic lines of all time:

Reggie Dunlop: You know, your son looks like a fag to me.

Anita McCambridge: I beg your pardon?

Reggie Dunlop: You better get re-married again, or he's gonna have someone's cock in his mouth before you can say Jack Robinson.

by Anonymousreply 155April 7, 2012 4:57 PM

Slap Shot is a movie about moron hockey players, R155, what did you expect? But at the same time it had Paul Newman walking around in head-to-toe leather outfits. Go figure.

by Anonymousreply 156April 7, 2012 5:11 PM

I don't think Children's Hour should be lumped in with the others. The characters are handled sensitively - and James Garner's character is not particularly judgmental. Characters in the film are "homophobic" (even though that wasn't a word in the 1960s). The fact that Shirley's character say's "I'm sick" and hangs herself may come from homophobia, both internal and external but it doesn't mean the film is homophobic.

by Anonymousreply 157April 7, 2012 5:37 PM

"Freebie And The Bean" - probably around 1975. Alan Arkin, and real life homophobe, James Caan, star as 2 detectives. All I remember, is at the end of the movie, in Candlestick Park bathroom, Caan , and a tranny, have a fight, with the tranny starting to kick Caan senseless, with her pumps, while he calls her some vile names. Then, of course, Caan gets up , with a magnum 44, and shoots her several times, in slo-mo, watching her body explode, with bullets, while the audience cheered. Never forgot it. Made me sick.

by Anonymousreply 158April 7, 2012 5:39 PM

'American Beauty' has the friendly high-achieving gay couple who, as new neighbours, call on the closet case. Their decency and warmth makes him and his reactions look shabby.

Also when Spacey rejects the closet case he does it with gentleness, even understanding. This makes the closet look even more twisted and trapped. But then he's a Nazi as well, which helps.

by Anonymousreply 159April 7, 2012 5:49 PM

Gee, all this time and nobody has mentioned the gay assassins in Diamonds are Forever? Again, when they get flambe-ed at the end the audience cheered.

by Anonymousreply 160April 7, 2012 5:56 PM

Human Centipede

by Anonymousreply 161April 7, 2012 6:00 PM

Not so much tragically homophobic as a cop-out and severely missed opportunity from people who should have known better:

James Garner professing his love to Victor in "Victor/Victoria", the sweet line "I don't care if you ARE a man." Could've been such a wonderful ode to love finding its own way (ala "Crying Game").

Instead, they have to show James Garner beforehand sneaking around and seeing Julie Andrews topless so he knows she is a woman. Total butch assurance bullshit that ruined an otherwise great film -- or, should I say, a potentially great film.

Gays embraced it anyway but I'm not sure why. Guess we'll settle for crumbs. But big time cop out.

by Anonymousreply 162April 7, 2012 7:02 PM

Sleeping Beauty. It's not what they say, it's what they don't say.

by Anonymousreply 163April 7, 2012 9:18 PM

I guess I am the James Garner troll but when James says "I don't care if you ARE a man" in Victor/Victoria, he delivers the line in a way that shows there is still some doubt in his mind, but fuck it - he doesn't care. Granted it's a musical comedy set in musical comedy land, but that would be a rather daring thing for a theoretically straight man to say in 1934.

by Anonymousreply 164April 8, 2012 9:14 PM

And don't forget that Victor/Victoria had Alex Karras playing a gay man. Of course, it also had Robert Preston playing a gay stereotype...

by Anonymousreply 165April 9, 2012 2:34 AM

[quote]Casey Donovan's 'Boys in the Sand' was most certainly NOT shown in public theaters.

That is not true.

[quote]Boys in the Sand had its theatrical debut on December 29, 1971, at the 55th Street Playhouse in New York City. Poole engaged in an unprecedented pre-release publicity campaign, including screening parties and full-page ads in The New York Times and Variety.

[quote]The film made back most of its production and promotions budget the day it opened, grossing close to $6,000 in the first hour, and nearly $25,000 during its first week, landing it on Variety's list of the week's 50 top grossing films. Positive word of mouth spread and the film was favorably reviewed in Variety ("There are no more closets!"), The Advocate ("Everyone will fall in love with this philandering fellator.") and other outlets, which previously had completely ignored the genre. While some critics were less impressed, others saw the film as akin to the avant-garde work of directors like Kenneth Anger and Andy Warhol. Within six months the film had grossed $140,000 and was continuing to open in theatres across the United States and around the world.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166April 9, 2012 3:39 AM

I'd need to see the movie again -- but, again, that kiss would've been radical had he not known for a fact that Julie Andrews was a woman (he still could've found out after and the message be strong... he was attracted to/in love with someone that didn't fit his physical prototype, even in gender). Didn't he see her naked from the waist up through the window? (Sorry, getting senile with movie memories).

Again, not so offensive -- even Robert Preston was savvy enough not to bug me -- but a point defeater. I recall someone saying how offensive Lesley Ann Warren was (a mini-drag queen in and of herself) but can't remember why. But guys were all over it anyway, then and now.

by Anonymousreply 167April 9, 2012 4:02 AM

The Childrens Hour was a great movie. I can see why Shirley McClaine would say that she was sick in the head. She knew she was in love with her best friend and this film was made in 1962. Were they still locking us up back then? You have to remember society as a whole was taught that these feelings were not just a sign of mental illness, but an actual sickness in and of itself.

by Anonymousreply 168April 9, 2012 4:39 AM

55th Street Playhouse was a porn palace, not a regular theater.

by Anonymousreply 169April 10, 2012 2:44 PM

This has to be the dumbest thread of all time.

Schindler's List is homophobic?

OMG.

Bunch of whiny bitches.

Braveheart is awesome, loved it.

by Anonymousreply 170August 5, 2012 6:38 PM

Slap Shot.

When somebody says this is their favorite movie, I think often times this is one of the reasons.

by Anonymousreply 171August 5, 2012 6:50 PM

Anything Adam Sandler.

by Anonymousreply 172August 5, 2012 6:55 PM

That's odd, since Paul Newman was so pro-gay. He said he was never homophobic and it always bothered him that other people were so judgmental about what people do in their bedrooms.

by Anonymousreply 173August 5, 2012 6:56 PM

Boys Beware!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 174August 5, 2012 6:58 PM

He may have had that belief system later in life, R173. But, during Slap Shot, he didn't - or didn't enough to say "let's rethink the anti-gay lines in this film."

by Anonymousreply 175August 5, 2012 6:59 PM

"Boys Beware": here's the whole thing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 176August 5, 2012 7:03 PM

I believe Newman when he said he was never anti-gay. You may not know it but he was trying to get a pro-gay movie made in the 70s called The Runner, which he planned to star in. But even as the superstar he was, there was too much studio resistance to ever get it made. I don't doubt that Slap Shot has homophobia in it, but Newman must've thought it was just a character study, a realistic portrayal of homophobic jocks.

by Anonymousreply 177August 5, 2012 7:04 PM

Maybe you're right, R177. Good points.

by Anonymousreply 178August 5, 2012 7:10 PM

178 posts and no mention of IRREVERSIBLE?

Wow.

The most homophobic film of all time. The beginning at the gay club is unbelievable but then as the film progresses the gay killer rapes Monica Bellucci. Yes, a gay man rapes a woman.

Gaspar Noé is shit.t

by Anonymousreply 179August 5, 2012 7:25 PM

"A Different Story" ... Yikes. Thanks R36, I was wracking my brain trying to remember the title of that awfulness.

I agree with everyone who hated Braveheart, awful piece of made-up, homophobic, bullshit.

Not the same thing, but this thread brought it to mind; I was watching "The Daytrippers" on Lifetime one day, purely by random chance. There's a gay kiss right near the end, which is the whole point of the movie, and Lifetime cut it.

by Anonymousreply 180August 5, 2012 7:32 PM

Thousands expected to attend Our Lady of Guadalupe celebration

August 5, 2012 | 12:02 pm

Tens of thousands of people are expected to crowd into the Coliseum for a celebration Sunday afternoon honoring Our Lady of Guadalupe, an event organizers described as the "largest celebration of the Virgin Mary in a generation."

More than 100,000 tickets were ordered for the celebration, which will be hosted by the Archdiocese of Los Angeles and the Knights of Columbus. The event is scheduled to begin at 3 p.m., but organizers urged those with tickets to arrive well ahead of time to avoid traffic. Doors will open at 12:30 p.m.

The roughly three-hour program will feature musical performances and prayers led by notables including baseball player Mike Piazza and [bold]"Braveheart" producer Steve McEveety.[/bold]

Archbishop Jose Gomez is listed among the keynote speakers.

Catholics have long revered the symbol of Our Lady of Guadalupe, who was said to have appeared in the 1500s to Juan Diego on a hillside near Mexico City. The Archdiocese of Los Angeles houses the only relic of Juan Diego's tilma — the cloak upon which the Virgin Mary left her image — in the United States.

by Anonymousreply 181August 5, 2012 7:32 PM

The Hangover owns this thread.

by Anonymousreply 182August 5, 2012 7:51 PM

More like, just guys doing guys, R182.

by Anonymousreply 183August 5, 2012 8:07 PM

The Wizard of Oz

Witch) Who killed my sister

Dorothy) I did I hate lezzies

---------->

Witch) Stop don't throw that water

Dorothy) I love Anita Bryant

-------------->

by Anonymousreply 184August 5, 2012 9:08 PM

Her image was stunningly labial, R181. I always wondered if she was trying to tell us something.

by Anonymousreply 185August 5, 2012 9:27 PM

The Birdcage was pretty effective at demonizing gays.

by Anonymousreply 186August 5, 2012 9:32 PM

Weirdo's

by Anonymousreply 187October 1, 2012 8:38 AM

R80, "The Boys Next Door" (1985) with Charlie Sheen and Maxwell Caulfield.

by Anonymousreply 188October 1, 2012 9:13 AM

That awful one with Cuba Gooding where he goes on the boat cruise which turns out to be a gay cruise ... Roger Moore also turns up to poke fun at the gays.

Those movies like The Sergeant (Steiger shoots himself when he realises he loves John Philip Law) and Sinatra's The Detective in the 60s where gays are just fags to be abused - the gay bar in Advise and Consent in 1962 is like one of the circles of hell as we see Don Murray's horror looking at it and of course his navy buddy ends up in the gutter as Don flees in a taxi .... now of course he too has to kill himself .

Barbra's character in The Owl and the Pussycat taunts George Segal that he is a fag - as does Dyan Cannon to John Philip Law again in The love Machine - if she can prove he is a fag he can be fired from his tv job!

by Anonymousreply 189October 1, 2012 9:51 AM

Xanadu

by Anonymousreply 190October 1, 2012 9:58 AM

In reality, there are a lot of homophobic people out there, but i don't believe that in cinema there are really any homophobic films. In cinema, homosexuality is not considered as a disease even when the characters seem somehow grotesque. There are characters in movies that loath gays in general, but what counts is the gist of the movie that does not approve of that hate. I have never seen a movie that is a propaganda against homosexuality. Usually, it's the critics of a movie that can be homophobic, not the film itself.

by Anonymousreply 191November 12, 2012 12:32 PM

HEEEEEEEEELP!

by Anonymousreply 192November 15, 2012 10:10 PM

When I saw the Weimar-era German film that "Victor/Victoria" is based on I was astonished at how completely gayness-free it was. The original German character who draws Viktoria into the world of female impersonation (the precursor to Robert Preston) is himself a professional female impersonator, straight offstage (he's given a female romantic interest of his own). And the James Garner character (played by the real-life gay Anton Walbrook) is a hetero who figures out early on that "Viktor" is really a girl and playfully makes her do guy things that she has trouble pulling off, like allowing herself to be shaved with a straight razor and smoking cigars.

by Anonymousreply 193November 15, 2012 10:32 PM

What can I do for you, r192?

by Anonymousreply 194November 15, 2012 10:32 PM

[quote] ...gays embraced Philadelphia for scaring the public into thinking their homophobia would be met by lawsuits, which never happened either in Philadelphia nor anywhere else.

"The events in the film are similar to the events in the lives of attorneys Geoffrey Bowers and Clarence B. Cain.

Bowers was an attorney who in 1987 sued the law firm Baker & McKenzie for wrongful dismissal in one of the first AIDS discrimination cases. Cain was an attorney for Hyatt Legal Services who was fired after his employer found out he had AIDS. He sued Hyatt in 1990 and won just before his death."

by Anonymousreply 195January 5, 2013 7:15 PM

Most movies, even insignificant, have homophobia in them. It's an inherent flaw in the world. Thankfully, it's becoming more and more unacceptable.

by Anonymousreply 196January 5, 2013 7:22 PM

R179 wins. I'm horrified that that homophobic movie didn't get more press. I felt similarly horrified when the Chick-Fil-A bigots turned out en masse.

by Anonymousreply 197January 5, 2013 7:24 PM

They Only Kill Their Masters plot concerns a lesbian being killed by a doberman and investigators James Garner and Katherine Ross think it's the most hilarious thing they've ever come across.

by Anonymousreply 198January 5, 2013 7:25 PM

Clint Eastwood films...

by Anonymousreply 199January 5, 2013 7:28 PM

Slap Shot (1977). I became physically ill with all the "fag bashing" and rampant homophobia in that film. I was only 16 when I saw it, but I walked out before it was over. VILE.

by Anonymousreply 200January 7, 2013 3:31 AM

Silence of the lambs is NOT homophobic. Buffalo Bill is based on Ed Gein, who was a real and did make a suit out of women, as well as other objects. Simple as that.

by Anonymousreply 201January 26, 2013 8:19 AM

R199 Clint Eastwood films are not homophobic. Clint may be moving into Rethug territory politically, but he supports gay rights and even went on record a little over a year ago saying he supports gay marriage. He may have stupidly supported a jackass in the last election, but he's not homophobic. As a matter of fact, his 1974 movie 'Thunderbolt & Lightfoot' was probably one of the most HOMO-EROTIC movies of all-time. A great movie, too. He and young Jeff Bridges looked totally hot for each other throughout.

by Anonymousreply 202January 27, 2013 2:54 AM

I agree with R202. I have seen most of Eastwood's movies and I can't recall any homophobia in any of them. I love the line in Magnum Force where one cop tells Harry Callahan that three rookie sharp-shooter cops are rumored to be 'queer for each other'. Eastwood's Callahan replied, "If everybody shot like them, I wouldn't care if the entire force was queer." That was 1973. He did speak out supporting gay marriage too===

by Anonymousreply 203January 27, 2013 3:00 AM

R201 Agreed. Silence of the Lambs was NOT homophobic at all.

by Anonymousreply 204January 27, 2013 3:01 AM

The Birdcage

by Anonymousreply 205January 27, 2013 3:01 AM

Anyone remember the self loathing gay killer after Lauren Bacall in the Fan?

by Anonymousreply 206January 27, 2013 5:59 AM

"Reflections in a Golden Eye", with Marlon Brando, Elizabeth Taylor and Robert Forster. One of Brando's top performances. Directed by John Huston.

by Anonymousreply 207January 27, 2013 6:54 AM

[quote]Anyone remember the self loathing gay killer after Lauren Bacall in the Fan?

He wanted hearts, not diamonds.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 208January 27, 2013 10:41 AM

Hearts, Not Diamonds was by Tim Rice and Hamlisch, wtf?!

Yet the staging looks like knock-off Fosse doing Kander and Ebb.

by Anonymousreply 209January 27, 2013 11:04 AM

Whats amusing now is listening to how the word 'fag' is bandied about in those 60s-70ish films like Valley of the Dolls, The Detective, The Love Machine etc. where gays are routinely dismissed as fags. The Detective is very homophobic actually, where Sinatra and his police pals trash the gays who are seen as pathetic outsiders - the murderer of the gay man would rather be seen as a murderer than a homosexual.

Dyan Cannon particularly relishes the word in The Love Machine where she can get John Philip Law sacked from his tv job if she can prove he is a fag ! Delirious !

Going from trash to class, Billy Wilder was very dismissive of gays too and routinely called them fags, though he was friendly with David Hockney in his later years, so he may have releted.

by Anonymousreply 210January 27, 2013 11:27 AM

WARNING...

There is a freezing rain advisory in Chicago.

DO NOT...REPEAT...DO NOT go out unless you have to, and then use EXTREME...REPEAT...EXTREME caution.

Have a great day.

by Anonymousreply 211January 27, 2013 11:32 AM

"Irreversible" wins this thread.

by Anonymousreply 212January 27, 2013 1:01 PM

Not film, but it's surprising to see reruns of THREE's COMPANY and the homophobia it had.

by Anonymousreply 213January 27, 2013 4:35 PM

I agree that Silence of the Lambs was not a homophobic movie. Buffalo Bill was not presented as gay but self-hating to the point that he thought he was transgender -- that's what really gets portrayed in a negative light, not homosexuality.

by Anonymousreply 214January 27, 2013 4:51 PM

Braveheart. For, among so many other things, having Wallace sire Edward III. Isabella never fucked Wallace. In fact she was nine years old at the time Wallace died.

That entire plot device, straight stud fathers King of England, depriving Edward II of his fatherhood and virility, let alone his humanity, is vile.

It's a throwback to an earlier time as well as a sensationalistic lie.

by Anonymousreply 215January 27, 2013 5:41 PM

It was homophobic because we didn't have just Buffalo Bill. We also had Hannibal Lechter. Duh.

by Anonymousreply 216January 27, 2013 6:38 PM

I think it is The Boys in the Band. It played up all the gay stereotypes, mainly the destructive qualities.

by Anonymousreply 217January 27, 2013 6:47 PM

R217, I am an eldergay and I agree with you about The Boys in the Band. I saw it in 1970, as a young man, and it almost drove me back into the closet. I did not want to be like any of those screaming, screeching, womanly cunts. I hated it, because it seemed to show gays as homophobic straights saw us (limp-wristed, squealing, diva-ish, catty, loud, obnoxious, and promiscuous).

by Anonymousreply 218January 27, 2013 8:18 PM

1. Braveheart

2. Slap Shot

by Anonymousreply 219January 27, 2013 8:19 PM

The Hunger Games. All the people in evil Capitol City seem to be very gay.

None of the good guys in the Districts look anything but straight.

by Anonymousreply 220January 27, 2013 8:19 PM

Braveheart terrified me when I saw it in a theatre and the entire audience CHEERED LOUDLY when the gay prince got thrown out of the castle window, falling to his death.

That prince did not even exist historically. Mel Gibson wrote him into the story so he could kill a faggot. And Jodie Foster evidently never asked Melabout this.

by Anonymousreply 221January 27, 2013 8:33 PM

If you want to see Edward II get his due, albeit in a blatant fantasy, read Ken Follett's World Without End and watch the miniseries where Ben Chaplin plays the role heroically and with great dignity. Of course it's just as historically unfaithful as Braveheart but it's blatantl.

by Anonymousreply 222January 27, 2013 11:44 PM

CRUISING was made by a gay man as a reaction to gay-bashing. DUH.

by Anonymousreply 223February 11, 2013 5:02 AM

Cruising isn't homophobic. For starters its more a straight male macho fantasy about how gay life could be like and everything is so stylized it doesn't resemble real life at all (all the gay men are tough, masculine and aggressive, the clubs play hard PUNK music instead of disco, christ even the tranny hookers are played by muscled men with heavy straight Brookyln accents). Honestly, the gay clubs portrayed here looked pretty exciting and fun to a perverted-teenage-me at the time.

Yeah, its about a gay murderer and Al Pacino is implied to become one to in the end (which I'll admit IS fucking stupid) but films with gay killers and criminals don't bother me. Pretty much EVERY other film has straight heroes/anti-heroes who are killers or criminals.

For me all those horrible gay themed hetero-comedies (Boat Trip, Partners, Chuck & Larry etc) are FAR more destructive and offensive than Cruising, Silence of the Lambs etc.

Braveheart is a fucking atrocity though.

by Anonymousreply 224February 11, 2013 6:04 AM

braveheart.

by Anonymousreply 225February 11, 2013 6:36 AM

The Wizard of Oz. It's so clear that the tinman wanted to shove his tin schlong up the lion's butt. He was jonesing for it the entire time.

The wicked witches were clealy lezzers. And the flying gay monkeys? That film was the most homophobic thing ever to come out of Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 226February 11, 2013 7:03 AM

Buffalo '66

a friend and I walked out after the Vincent Gallo character freaked out over something gay that involved a bathroom stall maybe, I can't even remember. just boring and pretentious

also Magic Mike for cutting out all the homosex between all the dancers that was going on 24/7, sanitizing Carol O'Neal's stripper past and adding female love interests to make it a chick film.

oh, and Deliverance

by Anonymousreply 227February 11, 2013 7:08 AM

Mean street with harvey keitel.

by Anonymousreply 228February 11, 2013 2:54 PM

I sort of agree with a sentiment someone expressed upthread. Sometimes dated movies' bigotries are so removed from what we actually experience, it doesn't even offend. The movie just seems like some bizarre artifact from an alien place and time.

I was a senior in high school when Cruising came out and I refused to see it. There were actual protests at screenings not to mention that a couple of murders were attributed to the film. (That is, straight guys watching the film and decided to bash queers to death).

But about 20 years later I saw the film, and though I recognized it for the piece of homophobic shit that it is, the depiction of gay bars and gay sex was just laughably off base.

Just because you're not personally offended by a film, or book or t.v. show, it doesn't mean the film/ show/ book isn't actually selling homophobia. I always think it's funny that the troll whose message is we should just "toughen up" is too stupid to realize there's nothing tough about just taking shit from others.

by Anonymousreply 229February 11, 2013 3:41 PM

SLAP SHOT. HATED, HATED, HATED THAT HOMOPHOBIC PIECE OF SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 230February 11, 2013 4:02 PM

Anything with that fascist Deanna Durbin.

by Anonymousreply 231February 11, 2013 4:08 PM

This is obviously the most of all time. I give you this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 232March 23, 2013 2:57 PM

For R221:The gay prince did exist historically, he was Edward II. He did have a gay lover and a French wife but everything else in Braveheart was pure horseshit.

by Anonymousreply 233March 23, 2013 11:48 PM

The Birdcage.

by Anonymousreply 234March 23, 2013 11:55 PM

R221, we've addressed this issue repeatedly about history. At least TRY to read some other responses.

by Anonymousreply 236May 28, 2013 1:02 AM

Just saw a homophobic start to "High Anxiety." Mel Brooks was a homophobe.

by Anonymousreply 237May 28, 2013 1:12 AM

Ed Gein did not make a suit out of a woman because he wanted to be a woman, get your head out of your ass.

by Anonymousreply 238May 28, 2013 1:13 AM

He said that's why he did it, but obviously he had been reading up on Nazi atrocities and that's what fascinated him.

by Anonymousreply 239May 28, 2013 1:18 AM

There is zero evidence Ed Gein was homosexual.

by Anonymousreply 240May 28, 2013 1:18 AM

Blazing Saddles. That ending is atrocious.

by Anonymousreply 241May 28, 2013 1:19 AM

"Braveheart is homophobic?" I own and have watched that movie over a dozen times. I guess I'm a insensitive homophobe. Maybe you can teach me to suck your big d***. Mel- has a real life persona that he has named, he uses it in his film making to seem like a wild beast man. I truly think he needs psychological help though...

by Anonymousreply 242November 22, 2013 5:07 AM

Gotta go with Eddie Murphy's "Delirious" (1983) and especially "Raw" (1987). I always hated his stand-up. All he ever did was rip off the far superior Richard Pryor. I hate Eddie Murphy with the heat of 1,000 suns. As we've learned, his homophobia seems to stem from self-hatred. What, with all the tranny encounters and his supposed long-time live in love affair with R & B singer Johnny Gill.

I think Eddie Murphy is the vilest sleaze bag on Earth! His homophobia at a time when gays were dying in vast numbers from AIDS and his lack of sympathy. He treated AIDS like a joke in the venomous "Delirious" pile of shit. His "comedy" was garbage. The only movie of his I ever saw at a theater was "Beverly Hills Cop" and, once again, there was the homophobia (where he put on the limp-wrist act in the restaurant and said to tell the gentleman he had herpes simplex #10. Horrid.

I am not a sniffly crybaby, but I have no tolerance for that snarky, unfunny bastard. It's okay for him to swallow a tranny's cock in a back alley in WeHo or get fucked up the pooter by Johnny Gill, but he makes fun of gays for giving people "that new AIDS shit." God, I hate him. A grease fire is to pleasant for his homophobic ass.

by Anonymousreply 243November 22, 2013 5:44 AM

243, I hate Eddie Murphy too. His '80s standup was pure hate and homophobia. He wore those red and purple leather suits and looked like the Queen of the Castro while he spent 90 minutes complaining about "fags" and "faggots" and prissing to imitate gays. He is a vile and terrible person. I never found him to be funny. I have never seen any of his movies (save 'Delirious' on HBO around '83. It made me sick to my stomach) and never will. He was not even funny on SNL back then. I never understood the appeal. He can't act either. I think he's a very closeted gay man too. A 'Down-Low Bro".

by Anonymousreply 244November 22, 2013 5:57 AM

Eddie Murphy eats da poo-poo.

Most homophobic movies I have seen:

1. Eddie Murphy Delirious (1983)

2. Eddie Murphy Raw (1987)

3. Slap Shot (1977)

4. Cruising (1980)

5. Boat Trip (with Cuba Gooding Jr.)

by Anonymousreply 245November 22, 2013 6:00 AM

Suppose there are elements of homophobia: "MASH" (movie version), dentist has performance issues with a visiting nurse, fears he might be a "fairy," wants to commit suicide and is later tricked into being cured of his problem when he is able to have sex with a woman. "Advise and Consent," young family man senator commits suicide after being blackmailed about a past gay relationship.

by Anonymousreply 246November 22, 2013 6:15 AM

Waiting

Just Friends

Not a movie, but I think The Hills and The City is really homophobic, but I think all MTV shows are, it's the fact gay men are totally omitted form the shows.

by Anonymousreply 247November 22, 2013 12:16 PM

Idiots. Braveheart wasn't homophobic at all. Prince Edward II DID exist in Wallace's time and he indeed may have been bisexual. Phillip was possibly his lover in real life but he lived longer then Edward II so no he wasn't thrown out of a window. Even if he was it was clear that the king threw him out of the window for speaking when he wasn't being spoken to and possibly for having more Confidence then King Edwards own son. You gays are just so UGHHHH great movie

by Anonymousreply 248February 24, 2014 11:15 AM

The Hangover movies Anything by Judd Apatow

pretty much all jew comedy movies are homophobic actually.

by Anonymousreply 249February 24, 2014 12:01 PM

"DATALOUNGE"

by Anonymousreply 250February 24, 2014 12:07 PM

"The Choirboys" from the late 1970s. Incredibly homophobic. Every negative gay stereotype you could imagine, plus deliberate brutalization of gay characters.

I don't think "Cruising" was homophobic at all. It was a very raw serial killer story, set in the gay leather community. Not a well-made movie by any means, but not homophobic.

by Anonymousreply 251February 24, 2014 3:39 PM

Any Adam Sandler comedy. He doesn't get satire.

There is a hockey movie, I can't remember the name of it.

by Anonymousreply 252February 24, 2014 3:43 PM

THE DETECTIVE (68), starring Ronan Farrow's father.

by Anonymousreply 253February 24, 2014 3:48 PM

What R69 said. TSOTL has an exchange where Lechter claims BB wants to become a woman and is killing women to make a "woman suit", and Starling immediately questions that transgenderism would motivate someone to become a serial killer, emphatically stating that transsexuals are largely docile and non-violent. Lechter counters that BB is not a true transsexual, but that he has deep self-loathing and will stop at nothing to recreate himself.

Or something like that. The point is clearly made: Buffalo Bill is pathological, unlike a true transgendered person.

The cries of homophobia over this masterpiece are really tiresome after all these years. Control your knee-jerk and sit down and watch the movie for once.

by Anonymousreply 254February 24, 2014 3:56 PM

[quote]Not too long ago, there was a British mini-series called BOB AND ROSE, in which a gay man winds up being attracted to a woman and they fall in love.

This happened to me after being out for well over a decade. Why is it unfit for portrayal in film?

by Anonymousreply 255February 24, 2014 3:58 PM

R255: Being anti-trans is not homophobic. Sorry, we're working on unloading the T bunch from LGB, so they can become their own lobby.

Janet Mock herself said, "Transgender rights are not gay rights". So it is written & so it shall be.

by Anonymousreply 256February 24, 2014 4:02 PM

OP, you completely lose credibility by saying that Cruising...a movie about a gay serial killer...is "accurate". You're the homophobe, darlin'.

by Anonymousreply 257February 24, 2014 4:03 PM

R249...calling others "idiots"?? Oh the irony!!

by Anonymousreply 258February 24, 2014 4:04 PM

Anyone mentioning Wizard of Oz in this thread needs serious glasses. The whole film is gay. It is life-affirming. It is one of the gay-est films I have ever seen. If this film isn't pro-gay, I don't know what is.

by Anonymousreply 259February 24, 2014 4:33 PM

Irreversible. What a crap shit of a movie.

by Anonymousreply 260February 24, 2014 4:37 PM

R255...oh yes, the audience zoomed right in on that scene that 'explained' that transgender people are 'docile'.

Meanwhile, the rest of the movie is about a psycho-cross dressing fag with a poodle. But NO one noticed that.

by Anonymousreply 261February 24, 2014 11:37 PM

Although the movie CLUE is a fun little "bad" movie, and Madeleine Kahn is a hoot in it as Mrs. White, one thing annoys me about it a lot.

The twist/gimmick of the movie is that, like the board game, the solution could be anything, so the movie was filmed with three different possible endings and different theaters got different endings.

In two versions, Mr. Green is gay and is basically a stupid, pathetic buffoon all through the movie. In the third ending, however, Mr. Green turns out to be the hero who saves the day - but, then they have to reveal that he was only PRETENDING to be gay and was really heterosexual all along!

Ughh... so a character can be gay and a helpless, screaming, cowardly idiot... or he can be strong, smart, brave..... and oh yeah, his homosexuality was just a ruse.... because those traits can't possibly all go together.

by Anonymousreply 262February 25, 2014 12:20 AM

Partners (1982) is really offensive.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 263February 25, 2014 1:32 AM

Gold: Braveheart Silver: Irreversible Bronze: Waiting

by Anonymousreply 264February 25, 2014 1:58 AM

One for you, girls:

Twice a Woman with Anthony Perkins (playing an uber straight male - hilarious).

Bergman's Bibi Andersson plays Perkins' ex wife, a museum curator who falls in love with a young woman.

The film has to be seen to be believed. Euro film 1980s

Have a listen to Perkins .. and a bit of ridiculous dialogue.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 265February 25, 2014 2:32 AM

I heard about the movie "Windows," starring Talia Share and Elizabeth Ashley is one of the most homophobic films of all time. The director later apologized for making it.

by Anonymousreply 266February 25, 2014 2:59 AM

Windows isn't as homophobic as it is dull. It's sleazy as hell, but without any gore or nudity. It's like a lesbian Fatal Attraction, but without the motivation. The Ashley character is just insane and never had a relationship with the Shire character.

It's just boring, but Ashley really gives a great, creepy performance.

It's kinda sad how we can't have gay/lesbian villains without the p.c. police freaking out.

by Anonymousreply 267February 25, 2014 4:04 AM

[quote]It's kinda sad how we can't have gay/lesbian villains without the p.c. police freaking out.

I think the point that is trying to be made is that until very recently nearly all gay characters in film were deranged in one form or another.

by Anonymousreply 268February 25, 2014 4:30 PM

Peter Pan

by Anonymousreply 269March 5, 2014 6:46 PM

What about A Different Story with Perry King and Meg Foster? It's a legitimately charming and well made/acted film about a gay man and a lesbian falling in love, having sex, and raising a baby together.

Keep in mind, that it's not a story about 2 bi-sexuals, they're both shown as exclusively gay and lesbian until they have too much to drink.

It's weird, but I kinda like the movie anyway.

by Anonymousreply 270March 5, 2014 11:52 PM

Well, you're self loathing. It's not charming, it's creepy and hateful.

That's the problem with DL. Too many closeted creeps who defend movies like "A Different Story" and "Windows".

by Anonymousreply 271March 6, 2014 9:34 AM

Windows is a boring piece of shit, but A Different Story is a sweet, entertaining movie even if it is a fairy tale.

by Anonymousreply 272March 6, 2014 10:43 PM

I've read all the posts and I don't recall anyone mentioning "The Fox". It had many good production qualities but was the standard "gay character must die at the end" story.

by Anonymousreply 273March 6, 2014 11:32 PM

I watched an art movie at a film fest that offered the shallowest, dullest, and most depressing vision of what a gay man's life is like. It was called "Dawson's 50-Load Weekend."

by Anonymousreply 274March 6, 2014 11:36 PM

There's a thread kicking around somewhere about "The Music Lovers", Ken Russell's 1970 film about Tchaikovsky.

The film shows Tchaikovsky desperately trying to connect with women, and being horrified every time his homosexuality kicks in. As I said, it's like watching a straight men show what gay men are like, if the straight man had failed to ask any gay men about their experience and just made everything up.

by Anonymousreply 275March 6, 2014 11:43 PM

I would put Sorority Boys(2002) up as being not only juvenile and misogynistic but also very homophobic. The trailer featuring Harland Williams seemed like it was going to be funny, but it ended up being a F movie and downright offensive to boot. The premise was 3 frat boys dressed up in drag trying to pass as girls with hilarity ensuing. I should have known it was going to be bad when I was the only person in the theater. I ended up walking out of it, when the frat boys started fencing with double headed dildos. I never saw how the film ended, but it remains one of only 2 films that I ever walked out of.

by Anonymousreply 276March 7, 2014 12:10 AM

I saw Braveheart in the theater and no one started "clapping and cheering and saying 'Death to faggots'" when the one character was tossed out the window. That sounds like bullshit to me.

by Anonymousreply 277March 7, 2014 12:49 AM

R201 Of course Silence of the Lambs is homophobic. Why did they feel the need to turn a character that was based on Ed Gein, a mentally ill but straight guy, into a raging gay transvestite whateverthingy?

by Anonymousreply 278March 7, 2014 1:30 AM

any tom cruise film

by Anonymousreply 279March 7, 2014 1:30 AM

In Ralph Bakshi's [italic]Fritz the Cat[/italic], a female character says, "You're a fucking bunch of Nazi fags." R. Crumb hated the movie version so much, he killed off the character in his own comics.

by Anonymousreply 280November 9, 2014 1:13 PM

[quote]I agree in regards to "The Lion King". I normally love me some Disney, but I've only watched that movie once (I have it on VHS). The gay villain was just completely unnecessary in a children's film - that's just wrong and damaging to susceptible minds.

In [italic]Lion King II[/italic], he had a pride of his own and some lionesses to provide him with cubs. That came out of nowhere.

And this dialogue exchange:

[quote]Simba: You're weird.

[quote]Scar: Oh, you have no idea.

is a reference to a virtually identical exchange Jeremy Irons, the voice of Scar, had with Ron Silver in [italic]Reversal of Fortune[/italic].

Did either Nathan Lane or Elton John ever voice any concern about whether they thought Scar was gay? In light of some of Jeremy Irons' recent comments, I don't honestly know.

by Anonymousreply 281November 9, 2014 1:17 PM

Mrs Doubtfire. My he only gays in the movie (which took place in San Francisco) were a couple of flaming makeup artists.

by Anonymousreply 282November 9, 2014 1:22 PM

To all the ignorant people saying Mel Gibson invented a gay character in Braveheart. The gay prince is Edward II, who historically is said to be gay. Marlowe wrote a gay romance called Edward II in the late 1500's which is what Gibson based the character and the boyfriend on. Edward II was said to have died when his wife jammed a redhot poker up his but and took the throne as Queen without any dispute because Edward II was a weak king more obsessed with chasing boys than ruling the country.

by Anonymousreply 283April 8, 2015 6:52 PM

How can someone claim Ed Gein does not fall under the LGBT banner? He had sex with teenage and young adult males and not just with the ones he murdered. He also was known to secretly dress as woman. You can't just pick the LGBTs you like and say they were born that way and then claim the ones you don't like were just straight people with a mental illness that made them want to have same sex and cross-dress.

by Anonymousreply 284April 8, 2015 7:03 PM

r262, thank you, Clue was shamelessly homophobic, but of course DL airheads consider it a camp classic anyway.

by Anonymousreply 285April 8, 2015 7:09 PM

I like the idea of middle class suburban couples going to a dinner club to watch "Boys in the Sand."

by Anonymousreply 286April 8, 2015 7:15 PM

Interesting reading some of the previous posts. Disney has many villains that seem gay or at least asexual. (None of them have a partner, they only have evil sidekicks!)

The Lion King -- Scar is a sulking gay lion.

Aladdin -- Jafar is a gay vizier with a bird fetish.

Beauty and the Beast -- Gaston (Okay, so he's bi)

The Little Mermaid -- Ursula, tentacled dyke.

Cinderella -- Lady Tremaine seems like a jealous, closeted lesbian.

Peter Pan -- Captain Hook is angry at Peter Pan's carefree fairy lifestyle.

Jungle Book -- Shere Kahn is an erudite gay tiger.

101 Dalmatians -- Cruella DeVil is a sexually frustrated but fashionable lipstick lez who takes out her aggression on puppies.

Pocahontas -- Governor Ratcliffe is the gay villain; his manservant is the gay clown. (Both voiced by David Ogden Stiers)

by Anonymousreply 287April 8, 2015 7:55 PM

Birdcage

by Anonymousreply 288April 8, 2015 8:04 PM

[quote]Another Gay Movie. It wouldn't be so bad except for the one character.

Yes, that one is horrible.

by Anonymousreply 289April 8, 2015 8:11 PM

What's homophobic about "Another Gay Movie"?

by Anonymousreply 290April 8, 2015 8:13 PM

Slap Shot (1977). My high school boyfriend and I walked out on it. I can't believe a good liberal like Paul Newman would make such trash.

by Anonymousreply 291April 8, 2015 8:13 PM

the wolf of wall street

by Anonymousreply 292April 8, 2015 8:15 PM

In defense of "Slap Shot":

Yes, there was a lot of homophobic language in the film, delivered by a bunch of hockey-playing morons who were less evolved and less sophisticated than a troop of wild baboons. The homophobic comments they made weren't supposed to be correct, they were supposed to show how dumb, low-class, and provincial the hockey players were. The few characters who had average IQs and a little education did not talk that way.

That said, I do understand how listening to those idiots could destroy a person's enjoyment of the film.

by Anonymousreply 293April 8, 2015 8:25 PM

Haven't read the whole thread so maybe this movie has already been called out: Midnight Express. Even though it's based on a true story they left out the facts that Billy Hayes was never raped and that he had a consensual gay relationship while imprisoned in Turkey. Thank Alan Parker and Oliver Stone (screenwriter here) along with the homophobic Hollywood machine for leaving out those silly things that affirm homosexuality in a positive light.

by Anonymousreply 294April 8, 2015 8:53 PM

None of these hold a candle to the Eating Out or Not Another Gay Movie series, made even worse in that the creatives behind them were gay men. Unbearably offensive and stereotypical. I'd rather sit through three days of Eddie Murphy at his worst.

by Anonymousreply 295April 8, 2015 8:58 PM

[quote]What's homophobic about "Another Gay Movie"?

You've got to be fucking kidding me. Jerry Fallwell and Pat Robertson could have created the Jonah Blechman character.

by Anonymousreply 296April 8, 2015 10:31 PM

Braveheart is homophobic. Edward II may have been gay, but there is no evidence he was a limp-wristed, prancing queen. And despite what Gibson says about the scene where his lover is pushed out a window, it was not about how bad King Edward is...or at least that's not what the laughing and even cheering audiences got out of it.

Fuck you and fuck Mel Gibson with a red-hot poker.

by Anonymousreply 297April 8, 2015 10:39 PM

I've always been baffled by the outcry against "Cruising." It was a pretty accurate description of one side of NYC in the 70s.

by Anonymousreply 298April 8, 2015 10:40 PM

[quote]Edward II was said to have died when his wife jammed a redhot poker up his but

First of all, there has never been any sort of story [italic]whatsoever[/italic] that Queen Isabella sneaked into Berkeley Prison and [italic]herself[/italic] sodomized Edward II with a red-hot poker. That's just ridiculous.

There is a story, which is highly unreliable and which most medieval historians credit to propaganda, that Edward II was killed by henchmen in the prison with a red-hot poker shoved up his anus. But since his son Edward III had much to gain by spreading such a story (he overthrew his mother and her lover Mortimer, who had arranged to have Edward II imprisoned and whom Edward III hated), it probably never happened.

All we know for sure is that after he was imprisoned in Berkeley castle Edward II was announced to have died. He was likely murdered by his enemies, but it's fairly unlikely they killed him in that way.

by Anonymousreply 299April 8, 2015 10:47 PM

The Detective and Advise and Consent are not homophobic. They were early efforts to promote understanding and point out the tragic consequences of anti-gay bigotry. Otto Preminger, who directed Advise and Consent, and Frank Sinatra, who starred in The Detective, deserve credit for their willingness to tackle the plight of gay people in pre-Stonewall America.

by Anonymousreply 300April 9, 2015 6:27 AM

The Wedding Party

by Anonymousreply 301April 9, 2015 6:32 AM

You know how bitchy fags can be.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 302April 9, 2015 6:33 AM

party monster with the mcallister boy and seth green. Not everyone in NYC is gay and popping pills!

by Anonymousreply 303April 9, 2015 6:42 AM

Straight porn?

by Anonymousreply 304April 9, 2015 1:08 PM

Braveheart is pretty gross. Mel Gibson really shows his heart of darkness with that scene. And everyone loved the scene and straight men still worship this movie. An example of the insidious, casual homophobia that pervades our culture still.

by Anonymousreply 305April 9, 2015 1:53 PM

Glad to see folks hate on SATC II. Woefully offensive. But even the series took a rather patronizing attitude toward gays. Look at Carrie and Stanford's relationship. It was like he always showed up to remind her in some way how lucky she was to be a straight woman.

by Anonymousreply 306April 9, 2015 4:22 PM

Has anyone mentioned BRAVEHEART? It was a Mel Gibson movie.

by Anonymousreply 307June 27, 2015 12:47 AM

There was a Paul Newman movie about hockey players but I can't remember the title. Has anyone seen it?

by Anonymousreply 308June 27, 2015 12:49 AM

R308, "Slap Shot"

by Anonymousreply 309June 27, 2015 12:53 AM

PARTNERS with Ryan O'Neal and John Hurt.

by Anonymousreply 310June 27, 2015 4:20 AM

R308 no it isnt - rather it's a spot on satire of that culture. And Paul Newman's great in it.

by Anonymousreply 311June 27, 2015 4:31 AM

As another poster stated, The Detective was not homophobic. It was, for the time, an ANTI-homophobic (since this was pre-Stonewall and there was no such thing as "pro gay") movie actually. Sinatra's character was sympathetic to the plight of how homosexuals were being treated. His "seen it all, tired" police detective character had redeeming qualities. And the depiction of those "meat truck on the docks" or whatever they were called where gay men convened under cover of darkness to grope around in the backs of panel trucks was accurate. That is, from many descriptions of men who were there, a popular thing for gay men in 1968. The way gay men had to live back then was pretty rough and the film simply depicted some of that. Not every gay person got murdered, of course, but it was wholly believable as to how the plot of the film developed. I think Sinatra was fairly gay friendly as long as the men were traditionally masculine and flew it under the radar. He detested effeminacy, although he, himself was not uber masculine. He was VERY close to Monty Clift during the filming of From Here to Eternity. I wonder what relationship they really had? He was a product of his era. It is known that he called Johnny Mathis the African Queen, though. Which is, if you think about it, kinda funny and clever.

by Anonymousreply 312June 27, 2015 5:40 AM

Sorry if this was mentioned.... I'm not sure Tennessee Williams did us any favors accessing his bottomless pit of self-loathing for the Grand Guignol of homophobia, "Suddenly, Last Summer" (1959), which only made it to the screen if the censors could fashion it as a cautionary tale for those considering the gay "lifestyle." From Wikipedia...

[quote]Working in conjunction with the National Legion of Decency, the Production Code Administration gave the filmmakers special dispensation to depict Sebastian Venable, declaring, "Since the film illustrates the horrors of such a lifestyle, it can be considered moral in theme even though it deals with sexual perversion."

Gore Vidal talks about how he had to slice up the screenplay...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 313June 27, 2015 2:13 PM

"Laura". Every odious stereotype of (1940s) gay men rolled into one Waldo Lydecker (Clifton Webb) who tries to murder his fag-hag/beard Laura (Gene Tierney).

by Anonymousreply 314June 27, 2015 5:39 PM

R314, interesting observations, but I still love the movie Laura.

by Anonymousreply 315June 27, 2015 6:09 PM

I don't think SLS is homophobic. It's written by a gay man and stars a gay man (and possibly a gay woman: Hepburn).

Sebastian isn't a killer or rapist, just a hugely closeted mama's boy ("He lived a chaste life!"- Aunt Vi). Everyone liked him.

If anything it's an indictment of the closet. If he hadn't had to slip around with prostitutes he might have lived a decent (though discreet!) life.

by Anonymousreply 316June 28, 2015 1:43 AM

Skip to 45:42

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 317June 28, 2015 2:12 AM

I'm glad someone else mentioned "Legally Blonde." That's always bugged me, and it wasn't made so long ago either.

by Anonymousreply 318June 28, 2015 12:22 PM

It wasn't the most homophobic movie of all time, but I recently watched Legally Blonde and was surprised by homophobic the jokes were (despite being directed by a gay man).

by Anonymousreply 319June 28, 2015 12:29 PM

Sex and the City 2 was pretty homophobic in a way. Those raging stereotypes played for 'laughs' really set us back. I wonder how the fraus would feel if they were portrayed as ugly cliches....oh...wait, that's what Sex and the City was all about lol

by Anonymousreply 320June 28, 2015 12:44 PM

I really hope they don't do another SATC movie. No doubt Anthony and Stanford would be divorced, and Carrie would be trying her best to look sympathetic, yet still be blubbering about how 'hard' her life is now she's married to a very rich man, who can't be bothered to buy her they expensive gifts she feels she deserves YUK!

by Anonymousreply 321June 28, 2015 12:53 PM

The most lesbophobic movies are the ones where the "lesbian" is seduced by a guy. For example "The Humbling" with Al Pacino and "Chasing Amy" with Ben Affleck. Never could bring myself to watch either of them.

by Anonymousreply 322June 28, 2015 12:54 PM

[quote]Aladdin -- Jafar is a gay vizier with a bird fetish.

Um, no. Jafar tries to fuck Jasmine.

by Anonymousreply 323June 28, 2015 9:01 PM

Be glad you skipped "Chasing Amy", R322.

FYI the lesbian character tries to educate the straight guy about women's and same-sex issues for the first half of the film. And in the second half she does some things that are unbelievable, and show that the writer doesn't understand a damn thing about women or lesbians even though he thinks he does.

by Anonymousreply 324June 29, 2015 5:03 AM

Oh god, I forgot "Chasing Amy"! So fucking stupid and downright insulting.

by Anonymousreply 325June 29, 2015 10:23 AM

I had the misfortune to see "Chasing Amy," too. Where does one even begin?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 326June 30, 2015 4:21 AM

I suspect everybody in the industry who called [italic]Silence of the Lambs[/italic] homophobic was rooting for [italic]Beauty and the Beast[/italic] to win Best Picture.

by Anonymousreply 327August 11, 2015 2:57 AM

I didn't read all the answers, did anybody mention 300? Which is homophobic and homoerotic at the same time. 2 for the price on 1 yaaaay

by Anonymousreply 328August 11, 2015 3:25 AM

Irreversible which features a group of rapey gay men in a sex club jacking off as one of their own gets his head crushed with a fire extinguisher.

by Anonymousreply 329August 11, 2015 5:02 AM

I'm glad it was mentioned already: The Fox (1967).

Innocent little woman is under the spell of an evil domineering lesbian in the woods of Canada. Wonderful heterosexual man comes to their farm. He almost rescues the innocent little woman, but the evil lesbian scares him off. Then our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ saves the day by having a tree fall on (yes literally, she was crushed by a falling tree), the evil lesbian. The heterosexuals live happily ever after.

by Anonymousreply 330December 8, 2015 9:35 AM

Not a movie but the stunning unexpected last shot probably makes it the most homophobic music video I have ever seen. It is incredibly graphic, could only be played in the middle of the night and of course it grabbed all the awards and is a contender for the all-time greatest video: The Prodigy's Smack My Bitch Up!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 331December 8, 2015 9:58 AM

A Walk Among the Tombstones

Gay couple torture and murder young women.

by Anonymousreply 332December 8, 2015 10:17 AM

Yes R259, R226 is right. Th wizard in the Wizard of Oz is an ineffectual old queen.

by Anonymousreply 333February 11, 2017 4:17 PM

R298, I'm baffled by people who protest against movies in general. Pretty fucking stupid. Just don't watch the movie and/or post a public negative review of the film. The idea of people protesting against things they don't like, aside from protesting politicians, is childish.

by Anonymousreply 334April 5, 2018 8:04 PM

Lady Bird

by Anonymousreply 335April 5, 2018 8:24 PM

Can't Hardly Wait

by Anonymousreply 336April 5, 2018 8:34 PM

Wedding Crashers

by Anonymousreply 337April 5, 2018 8:35 PM

I Now Pronounce You Chuck & Larry

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 338April 5, 2018 8:36 PM

R338: I couldn't even finish that damn movie it was so bad. And to think one of [italic]The Golden Girls[/italic]' writers had a hand in it.

by Anonymousreply 339April 5, 2018 8:46 PM

Crocodile Dundee

by Anonymousreply 340April 5, 2018 8:53 PM

Any movie where the "lesbian" fucks a man. It's even worse now than the 1940s-1960s. At least back then, lesbians were generally lesbians (e.g. Sandy Dennis in the Fox, Shirley Maclaine in the Children's Hour). I have NO tolerance for a movie made beyond the 1990s, where 70% of the movie involves a romance between a man and a woman. It's not a GAY movie if it's not about GAY people.

by Anonymousreply 341April 5, 2018 9:08 PM

The original [italic]Teen Wolf[/italic] was a double slap in the face: it forced Michael J. Fox to say "I'm not a f*g, I'm a werewolf" and in doing so sent an insult to gay audiences while trivializing the coming out process to do it.

by Anonymousreply 342April 5, 2018 9:42 PM

Adjust the genders, R341, and you've nailed my biggest issue with "Call Me By Your Name". A great gay love story? Hardly. No matter how you cut it, it plays out as two guys bumping dicks between interludes with women (one of whom marries one of the "gay" guys).

by Anonymousreply 343April 5, 2018 10:00 PM

Crocodile Dundee is a homophobic asshole.

by Anonymousreply 344April 30, 2019 4:00 PM

Was Full Metal Jacket homophobic?

by Anonymousreply 345April 30, 2019 4:08 PM

Wasn't SPETTERS (1980) kinda homophobic?

by Anonymousreply 346April 30, 2019 4:09 PM

Dirty Grandpa

Friends With Money

by Anonymousreply 347April 30, 2019 4:43 PM

THE EIGER SANCTION features Jack Cassidy as a mincing homosexual with a little poodle named "Faggot"

by Anonymousreply 348April 30, 2019 7:45 PM

Partners starring Ryan O Neal and John Hurt.

by Anonymousreply 349May 5, 2019 7:29 PM

[quote]The Birdcage was pretty effective at demonizing Republicans.

Fixed.

by Anonymousreply 350May 5, 2019 8:02 PM

I liked Role Models. I don't remember what was homophobic about it.

by Anonymousreply 351May 5, 2019 8:06 PM

[quote] The funny thing is that Mel's character in 'Braveheart' is terribly gay (albeit a butch queen). William Wallace's wife is conveniently killed early in the movie so that we don't have to have "icky women" in the story. She reappears occasionally as a ghost to remind people that WW is straight even though he only hangs around with beefy men

“They can take our WIVES but they’ll never take our freedom!!!!”

by Anonymousreply 352May 5, 2019 8:20 PM

R351 If I remember correctly It was the Ken Jeong character.

by Anonymousreply 353July 18, 2020 3:48 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!