Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Aaron Sorkin

Theater major, drug problems, one brief marriage... and he used to date Kristin Chenoweth. This indicates to me "self-loathing gay man". %0D %0D How can we facilitate his coming out process?

by Anonymousreply 6206/12/2014

Considering what a fatuous twit he is, let's not bother.

by Anonymousreply 103/01/2011

He's self-loathing, but I don't think he's gay...thank God.

by Anonymousreply 203/01/2011

Always thought that OP. But he really is insufferable and write boring scripts with very little character development.

by Anonymousreply 303/01/2011

Don't forget about how he used Tom Hulce (sexually as well as financially) to get A FEW GOOD MEN first produced as a play...

by Anonymousreply 403/02/2011

I find it very difficult to believe that he is straight and agree with OP's assessment, but I also think neither gay men nor straight women want him. Self-absorbed drug-addled orange-faced goon. :shudder:

by Anonymousreply 703/02/2011

he seems manic....

by Anonymousreply 803/02/2011

What's the story about him and Hulce?

by Anonymousreply 903/02/2011

Sorkin was fresh out of college and totally unknown as a playwright. He had a rough draft of A FEW GOOD MEN that somehow got to Tom Hulce, then fresh off his Oscar-nominated role in AMADEUS.

Hulce liked the script and wanted to produce it and play the lead, but the script needed work. Sorkin seduced Hulce (literally) - he lived at Hulce's house, Hulce supported him and slept with him until the script was ready. Once the show opened on Broadway and was a hit, Sorkin left Hulce for the leading lady, Megan Gallagher.

When the play was sold to Rob Reiner to be made into the Tom Cruise movie version, Sorkin left for LA (with Gallagher) and went on to write "The American President" for Reiner and the "The West Wing". NEVER did anything to compensate Hulce for the time and money he put into launching Sorkin's career, not to mention Hulce's feeling used and abandoned.

Hulce left NY, went to Seattle, stopped acting, got FAT and disappeared for a while, until he re-emerged as a producer a few years later.

Basically, Sorkin used Hulce to get his career started. BITCH!

by Anonymousreply 1003/02/2011

i think he's bisexual perhaps.

ive met quite a few creative types here in Hollywood. But what really pisses me off are the ones that are married and have kids. So ive never messed around with them knowingly.

A few years back i did learn my lesson by not asking beforehand.

He was a married latino executive(yes they do exist)and we messed around at his place a few times- 3 or 4 i cant remember exactly.

I confronted him after my observations- the very discreet and time restrictions etc.

by Anonymousreply 1103/02/2011

What was the story with Gallagher (weht?) replaving Pamela Blair (the directors wife?!)

by Anonymousreply 1203/02/2011

Was it these events that caused Hulce to stop taking care of himself and become fat?

by Anonymousreply 1303/02/2011

I worked on one of his shows.%0D I would say that the folks here at DL pretty much have it right...

by Anonymousreply 1403/02/2011

Is he an example of the yellow skin troll's fetish?

by Anonymousreply 1503/02/2011

How did you learn all those details, R10?

by Anonymousreply 1603/02/2011

r10 is the psychic security guard

by Anonymousreply 1703/02/2011

R10

So, basically his sin is that he dumped Hulce and got a career? Well, those things happen.

by Anonymousreply 1803/02/2011

It's so funny that someone created this topic because I was watching an interview Sorkin gave on 60 Minutes and couldn't help but to think he's a closeted gay man. He was quite attractive back in the day. Now...not so much. The drugs definitely did a number on his once good looks.

I'm not a fan of his style of writing. I always viewed him as a poor man's John Guare.

by Anonymousreply 1903/02/2011

Good dish.

by Anonymousreply 2103/02/2011

R10

Hm, so what? I fail to see great drama. Of course, maybe Sorkin is asshole, but I don't see crime in what you wrote.

by Anonymousreply 2203/02/2011

Not a crime, obviously, just another using faggot asshole. Would it be a crime to push him over a cliff?

by Anonymousreply 2303/02/2011

R23

Maybe Hulce was user in this situation? It's Sorkin who was depending on him, he was more powerful at the time.

by Anonymousreply 2403/02/2011

Social Network was the most boring script this year. "Kids Are Alright" had fire...and MUSIC!

by Anonymousreply 2503/02/2011

Yes, the bigger question in all this mess is how and why did the adorable young Tom Hulce, who played the boy in Equus on Broadway, allow himself to become such a slobby shlub?

by Anonymousreply 2603/02/2011

A lot of men become fat slobs. It seems Hulce is now just one of the millions in that statistic.

by Anonymousreply 2703/02/2011

In evaluating his attractiveness you people are forgetting something. He made a billion dollars on West Wing.

by Anonymousreply 2803/02/2011

I worked with Kristin Chenoweth at the time she was dating Sorkin and the two of them seemed to be entrely smitten with each other. She obviously like the big swarthy types as former bf Marc Kudisch was a better looking but similarly pompous version of Sorkin.

by Anonymousreply 2903/03/2011

I don't think I'd ever seen him speak more than two sentences at a time before 30 Rock last night and based on what I saw I also don't think I'd ever assume he wasn't gay if I met him at a dinner party. But I guess he could just be a straight cheeseball

by Anonymousreply 3003/25/2011

I did think it showed him to be somewhat of a good sport to not only appear on "30 Rock" but to let Tina Fey twit him about "Studio 60".%0D %0D The shows debuted the same year and were built up as major rivals since they both dealt with producing SNL-like TV shows.%0D %0D Sorkin lost that competition, badly.

by Anonymousreply 3103/25/2011

Sorkin has a fucking Best Screenplay Oscar now, R31, something he probably would not have if he was busy with a little TV show. If winning an Oscar is a sign of "losing" anything, sign me up!

What the fuck does Tiny Fey have? A shelf full of Emmys and GGs and the Mark Twain Award? Please. She has a long way to go to win an Oscar after dreck like BABY MAMA and DATE NIGHT (and, yes, she did the final rewrites of both scripts). MEAN GIRLS was fun for what it was, but it's no A FEW GOOD MEN or SOCIAL NETWORK.

by Anonymousreply 3203/25/2011

I am sure Sorkin thinks he would have no problem writing a hit TV show and a successful movie, and probably a Tony-nominated play too.

by Anonymousreply 3303/25/2011

I remember watching The West Wing a couple of times -- the guy who always identified himself as half-Jewish, when there is no such thing and the blonde girl who always swooned after him, that guy with the beard mincing around the hallways talking fast because that is what Aaron would say if he were in charge, the sad story of the secretary's twin boys dying together in Vietnam that turned into farce because the US wouldn't allow brothers to serve together in combat zones after the five Sullivans were all killed when the USS Juneau went down. The cheap anti-Muslim shots the "president" took at an Arab-American intern.

I did like the one where the bearded guy arranged for the homeless vet to be buried with full honors at Arlington.

Aaron would like to be Preston Sturges, but he is not.

by Anonymousreply 3403/25/2011

I'll give him credit, the man can write some snappy dialogue. But I think he suffers from some serious delusions of grandeur. During the press junkets for TSN, he repeatedly compared his work to Shakespeare and Aeschylus. Easy, Aaron.

by Anonymousreply 3503/25/2011

But that's really all he can write, R35, snappy dialogue. All the characters he writes -- from A Few Good Men to Sports Night to West Wing to The Social Network -- are smart, verbal, and quick. Compare Casey McCall in Sports Night to Josh Lyman in West Wing. Compare them to Matt Albie in Studio 60... Compare them to Mark Zuckerberg in TSN. They all sound exactly the same.

I'm not completely discounting his ability. It does take some skill to write dialogue like that. I don't for a moment, however, mistake it for great writing.

by Anonymousreply 3603/25/2011

[quote]the guy who always identified himself as half-Jewish, when there is no such thing

what?

by Anonymousreply 3703/25/2011

Before he went to Hollywood he was drop dead gorgeous

by Anonymousreply 3803/25/2011

Really, R38?

That's a hard ass decline, because I can't see it at all now.

Spot on R36. Although, I'll take the snappy dialogue over most of the shit out there.

I wonder why he thought he could direct. Am I the only one who thinks he'd have no ability for it, let alone working hopped up?

by Anonymousreply 3903/25/2011

[quote]Aaron would like to be Preston Sturges, but he is not.

In his defense, I too would like to be Preston Sturges, but I am not.

by Anonymousreply 4003/25/2011

Why?

by Anonymousreply 4103/25/2011

I am not kidding R39 The first time I met him probably right out of cokkege he honestly took my breathe away. But i agree time and especially the drugs have not been kind to him at all.

by Anonymousreply 4203/26/2011

He was gorgeous during his youth but aged very similarly to Johnathan Schaech. Same kind of olive skin problems.

by Anonymousreply 4303/26/2011

LOL at the typo, R42.

by Anonymousreply 4403/28/2011

For me, the best and worst of Sorkin's writing is strongly reminiscent of the Hecht/MacArthur/Lederer dialogue of HIS GIRL FRIDAY. Its relentlessness can be dazzling or exhausting, though I admire the control of both the writers and his actors.

But as has been pointed out, there is a sameness to Sorkin's work. But, again, if you love it, that sameness is a blessing; if you are exhausted or bored by it...

And that sameness is another way of saying "style". Mamet almost always sounds like Mamet; Sam Shepard like Sam Shepard; Neil Simon like Neil Simon; Stoppard like Stoppard, G.B. Shaw like G.B. Shaw, etc.

For me, at the end of the day, I like his sentences and his adroitness, but I am not sure that his pyrotechnics add up to much. But sometimes, they do light up the sky.

by Anonymousreply 4503/28/2011

'Straight out of cokkage' is v funny.

by Anonymousreply 4603/28/2011

Cokkage is the one institution from which I never want to graduate!

by Anonymousreply 4703/28/2011

I love The West Wing, and it was at its best with Sorkin writing. But Whilst Sorkin's dialogue is brilliant, his plot and characterisation are weak, and the drugs caught up with him.

Sorkin gets lost up his arse with how clever he is, and failure to deliver strong plot and character arcs are his downfall.

You can also see The West Wing matching the trajectory of his coke habit.

The West Wing's first two seasons are arguably some of the best TV drama ever, fuelled by coke and great ideas, but then things started to unravel with Sorkinn's descent into addiction hell.

by Anonymousreply 4803/28/2011

[quote]I'm not a fan of his style of writing. I always viewed him as a poor man's John Guare.

Ouch, and a pretty astute observation. (Though I've enjoyed a lot of Guare's work).

by Anonymousreply 4903/28/2011

I think Studio 60 was his 'coming out.' After watching a few episodes of that sissy-ass show... Yeah, Aaron Sorkin is probably gay.

by Anonymousreply 5007/09/2012

He is dating raging heterosexual actress Kristen Davis....

by Anonymousreply 5107/09/2012

For fuck's sake, stop trying to make everyone with a long list of loser traits -- drugs, aborted relationship, (implied queeny) theatrical sort, and "self-loathing"-- into a gay.

by Anonymousreply 5207/09/2012

He was on Piers Morgan last week with frosted hair. FROSTED HAIR!

by Anonymousreply 5307/09/2012

Re 1/2 Jewish issue: That technically means that only one parent is Jewish. However traditional Jews claim the mother dictates religion. Whether this goes back to the assumption that moms usually raised children or that Jewish girls were sometimes raped in dangerous times and that this way any offspring would be accepted, I don't really know.

by Anonymousreply 5407/09/2012

Studio 60 had such promise, but went downhill fast.

I would say West Wing maintained high quality throughout the Sorkin years.

by Anonymousreply 5602/17/2013

one correction:....Megan Gallagher wasn't the understudy r20...She was kind of a big deal too and had just been written out of China Beach and returned to NY to lick her wounds.

by Anonymousreply 5702/17/2013

ooops this is a really old thread!!

by Anonymousreply 5802/17/2013

[quote] the guy who always identified himself as half-Jewish, when there is no such thing

What?

by Anonymousreply 5902/17/2013

ANybody see his interview with Dan Rather? He comes off well in my opinion, although he tries too hard to be humble and self-deprecating.

by Anonymousreply 6006/11/2014

He is not Preston Sturges!

Not!

by Anonymousreply 6106/12/2014

r20 must be wrong. Megan Gallagher couldn't have been the understudy. She was already a known name and star of China Beach among other things when she took that role.

by Anonymousreply 6206/12/2014
Need more help? Click Here.