Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Aaron Sorkin

Theater major, drug problems, one brief marriage... and he used to date Kristin Chenoweth. This indicates to me "self-loathing gay man". %0D %0D How can we facilitate his coming out process?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64October 6, 2018 3:27 AM

Considering what a fatuous twit he is, let's not bother.

by Anonymousreply 1March 1, 2011 5:51 PM

He's self-loathing, but I don't think he's gay...thank God.

by Anonymousreply 2March 1, 2011 6:03 PM

Always thought that OP. But he really is insufferable and write boring scripts with very little character development.

by Anonymousreply 3March 1, 2011 6:23 PM

Don't forget about how he used Tom Hulce (sexually as well as financially) to get A FEW GOOD MEN first produced as a play...

by Anonymousreply 4March 2, 2011 7:11 AM

and Jewish too.

by Anonymousreply 5March 2, 2011 7:19 AM

SOAP THREAD ALERT!! SOAP THREAD ALERT!!!%0D %0D %0D The %0D %0D "Would 'Pa' approve of Clint Buchanan's recent actions?" %0D %0D and%0D %0D "Tell me about Bay City" threads%0D %0D are SOAP THREADS.%0D %0D Are they still banned or what?%0D %0D Someone shut down those two SOAP THREADS! %0D %0D (You know, the "Bay City" and "Clint Buchanan" threads, which are soap threads)%0D %0D %0D And oh yeah, you should F&F my posts so the webmaster can read what I'm saying, that the SOAP THREADS should be deleted because the SOAP cunts are homophobic fish who don't really belong on a gay website.

by Anonymousreply 6March 2, 2011 7:22 AM

I find it very difficult to believe that he is straight and agree with OP's assessment, but I also think neither gay men nor straight women want him. Self-absorbed drug-addled orange-faced goon. :shudder:

by Anonymousreply 7March 2, 2011 7:24 AM

he seems manic....

by Anonymousreply 8March 2, 2011 7:24 AM

What's the story about him and Hulce?

by Anonymousreply 9March 2, 2011 7:30 AM

Sorkin was fresh out of college and totally unknown as a playwright. He had a rough draft of A FEW GOOD MEN that somehow got to Tom Hulce, then fresh off his Oscar-nominated role in AMADEUS.

Hulce liked the script and wanted to produce it and play the lead, but the script needed work. Sorkin seduced Hulce (literally) - he lived at Hulce's house, Hulce supported him and slept with him until the script was ready. Once the show opened on Broadway and was a hit, Sorkin left Hulce for the leading lady, Megan Gallagher.

When the play was sold to Rob Reiner to be made into the Tom Cruise movie version, Sorkin left for LA (with Gallagher) and went on to write "The American President" for Reiner and the "The West Wing". NEVER did anything to compensate Hulce for the time and money he put into launching Sorkin's career, not to mention Hulce's feeling used and abandoned.

Hulce left NY, went to Seattle, stopped acting, got FAT and disappeared for a while, until he re-emerged as a producer a few years later.

Basically, Sorkin used Hulce to get his career started. BITCH!

by Anonymousreply 10March 2, 2011 7:40 AM

i think he's bisexual perhaps.

ive met quite a few creative types here in Hollywood. But what really pisses me off are the ones that are married and have kids. So ive never messed around with them knowingly.

A few years back i did learn my lesson by not asking beforehand.

He was a married latino executive(yes they do exist)and we messed around at his place a few times- 3 or 4 i cant remember exactly.

I confronted him after my observations- the very discreet and time restrictions etc.

by Anonymousreply 11March 2, 2011 7:46 AM

What was the story with Gallagher (weht?) replaving Pamela Blair (the directors wife?!)

by Anonymousreply 12March 2, 2011 7:46 AM

Was it these events that caused Hulce to stop taking care of himself and become fat?

by Anonymousreply 13March 2, 2011 7:49 AM

I worked on one of his shows.%0D I would say that the folks here at DL pretty much have it right...

by Anonymousreply 14March 2, 2011 7:57 AM

Is he an example of the yellow skin troll's fetish?

by Anonymousreply 15March 2, 2011 8:07 AM

How did you learn all those details, R10?

by Anonymousreply 16March 2, 2011 8:07 AM

r10 is the psychic security guard

by Anonymousreply 17March 2, 2011 8:15 AM

R10

So, basically his sin is that he dumped Hulce and got a career? Well, those things happen.

by Anonymousreply 18March 2, 2011 9:18 AM

It's so funny that someone created this topic because I was watching an interview Sorkin gave on 60 Minutes and couldn't help but to think he's a closeted gay man. He was quite attractive back in the day. Now...not so much. The drugs definitely did a number on his once good looks.

I'm not a fan of his style of writing. I always viewed him as a poor man's John Guare.

by Anonymousreply 19March 2, 2011 10:13 AM

Gallagher replaced Roxanne Hart who was a somewhat hot property in NY and Hollywood at the time. Gallagher was the understudy and met Sorkin in rehearsals. Pam Blair ("Tits and Ass" from A Chorus Line) was married to A Few Good Men director Don Scardino at the time and replaced Gallagher in the long run of the play (which was first written by Sorkin as a screenplay....not sure if that's been said yet in this thread).%0D %0D Also, Tom Hulce did star in the play on Broadway so it seems to me he got repaid for whatever....was he expecting a ring?

by Anonymousreply 20March 2, 2011 10:35 AM

Good dish.

by Anonymousreply 21March 2, 2011 11:09 AM

R10

Hm, so what? I fail to see great drama. Of course, maybe Sorkin is asshole, but I don't see crime in what you wrote.

by Anonymousreply 22March 2, 2011 12:04 PM

Not a crime, obviously, just another using faggot asshole. Would it be a crime to push him over a cliff?

by Anonymousreply 23March 2, 2011 12:18 PM

R23

Maybe Hulce was user in this situation? It's Sorkin who was depending on him, he was more powerful at the time.

by Anonymousreply 24March 2, 2011 12:20 PM

Social Network was the most boring script this year. "Kids Are Alright" had fire...and MUSIC!

by Anonymousreply 25March 2, 2011 2:39 PM

Yes, the bigger question in all this mess is how and why did the adorable young Tom Hulce, who played the boy in Equus on Broadway, allow himself to become such a slobby shlub?

by Anonymousreply 26March 3, 2011 12:00 AM

A lot of men become fat slobs. It seems Hulce is now just one of the millions in that statistic.

by Anonymousreply 27March 3, 2011 12:07 AM

In evaluating his attractiveness you people are forgetting something. He made a billion dollars on West Wing.

by Anonymousreply 28March 3, 2011 12:19 AM

I worked with Kristin Chenoweth at the time she was dating Sorkin and the two of them seemed to be entrely smitten with each other. She obviously like the big swarthy types as former bf Marc Kudisch was a better looking but similarly pompous version of Sorkin.

by Anonymousreply 29March 3, 2011 11:27 AM

I don't think I'd ever seen him speak more than two sentences at a time before 30 Rock last night and based on what I saw I also don't think I'd ever assume he wasn't gay if I met him at a dinner party. But I guess he could just be a straight cheeseball

by Anonymousreply 30March 25, 2011 10:02 PM

I did think it showed him to be somewhat of a good sport to not only appear on "30 Rock" but to let Tina Fey twit him about "Studio 60".%0D %0D The shows debuted the same year and were built up as major rivals since they both dealt with producing SNL-like TV shows.%0D %0D Sorkin lost that competition, badly.

by Anonymousreply 31March 25, 2011 10:35 PM

Sorkin has a fucking Best Screenplay Oscar now, R31, something he probably would not have if he was busy with a little TV show. If winning an Oscar is a sign of "losing" anything, sign me up!

What the fuck does Tiny Fey have? A shelf full of Emmys and GGs and the Mark Twain Award? Please. She has a long way to go to win an Oscar after dreck like BABY MAMA and DATE NIGHT (and, yes, she did the final rewrites of both scripts). MEAN GIRLS was fun for what it was, but it's no A FEW GOOD MEN or SOCIAL NETWORK.

by Anonymousreply 32March 25, 2011 10:49 PM

I am sure Sorkin thinks he would have no problem writing a hit TV show and a successful movie, and probably a Tony-nominated play too.

by Anonymousreply 33March 25, 2011 10:53 PM

I remember watching The West Wing a couple of times -- the guy who always identified himself as half-Jewish, when there is no such thing and the blonde girl who always swooned after him, that guy with the beard mincing around the hallways talking fast because that is what Aaron would say if he were in charge, the sad story of the secretary's twin boys dying together in Vietnam that turned into farce because the US wouldn't allow brothers to serve together in combat zones after the five Sullivans were all killed when the USS Juneau went down. The cheap anti-Muslim shots the "president" took at an Arab-American intern.

I did like the one where the bearded guy arranged for the homeless vet to be buried with full honors at Arlington.

Aaron would like to be Preston Sturges, but he is not.

by Anonymousreply 34March 25, 2011 11:01 PM

I'll give him credit, the man can write some snappy dialogue. But I think he suffers from some serious delusions of grandeur. During the press junkets for TSN, he repeatedly compared his work to Shakespeare and Aeschylus. Easy, Aaron.

by Anonymousreply 35March 25, 2011 11:03 PM

But that's really all he can write, R35, snappy dialogue. All the characters he writes -- from A Few Good Men to Sports Night to West Wing to The Social Network -- are smart, verbal, and quick. Compare Casey McCall in Sports Night to Josh Lyman in West Wing. Compare them to Matt Albie in Studio 60... Compare them to Mark Zuckerberg in TSN. They all sound exactly the same.

I'm not completely discounting his ability. It does take some skill to write dialogue like that. I don't for a moment, however, mistake it for great writing.

by Anonymousreply 36March 26, 2011 12:04 AM

[quote]the guy who always identified himself as half-Jewish, when there is no such thing

what?

by Anonymousreply 37March 26, 2011 12:14 AM

Before he went to Hollywood he was drop dead gorgeous

by Anonymousreply 38March 26, 2011 1:51 AM

Really, R38?

That's a hard ass decline, because I can't see it at all now.

Spot on R36. Although, I'll take the snappy dialogue over most of the shit out there.

I wonder why he thought he could direct. Am I the only one who thinks he'd have no ability for it, let alone working hopped up?

by Anonymousreply 39March 26, 2011 2:03 AM

[quote]Aaron would like to be Preston Sturges, but he is not.

In his defense, I too would like to be Preston Sturges, but I am not.

by Anonymousreply 40March 26, 2011 2:15 AM

Why?

by Anonymousreply 41March 26, 2011 2:19 AM

I am not kidding R39 The first time I met him probably right out of cokkege he honestly took my breathe away. But i agree time and especially the drugs have not been kind to him at all.

by Anonymousreply 42March 26, 2011 11:12 AM

He was gorgeous during his youth but aged very similarly to Johnathan Schaech. Same kind of olive skin problems.

by Anonymousreply 43March 27, 2011 1:46 AM

LOL at the typo, R42.

by Anonymousreply 44March 28, 2011 9:52 AM

For me, the best and worst of Sorkin's writing is strongly reminiscent of the Hecht/MacArthur/Lederer dialogue of HIS GIRL FRIDAY. Its relentlessness can be dazzling or exhausting, though I admire the control of both the writers and his actors.

But as has been pointed out, there is a sameness to Sorkin's work. But, again, if you love it, that sameness is a blessing; if you are exhausted or bored by it...

And that sameness is another way of saying "style". Mamet almost always sounds like Mamet; Sam Shepard like Sam Shepard; Neil Simon like Neil Simon; Stoppard like Stoppard, G.B. Shaw like G.B. Shaw, etc.

For me, at the end of the day, I like his sentences and his adroitness, but I am not sure that his pyrotechnics add up to much. But sometimes, they do light up the sky.

by Anonymousreply 45March 28, 2011 10:15 AM

'Straight out of cokkage' is v funny.

by Anonymousreply 46March 28, 2011 11:18 AM

Cokkage is the one institution from which I never want to graduate!

by Anonymousreply 47March 28, 2011 11:24 AM

I love The West Wing, and it was at its best with Sorkin writing. But Whilst Sorkin's dialogue is brilliant, his plot and characterisation are weak, and the drugs caught up with him.

Sorkin gets lost up his arse with how clever he is, and failure to deliver strong plot and character arcs are his downfall.

You can also see The West Wing matching the trajectory of his coke habit.

The West Wing's first two seasons are arguably some of the best TV drama ever, fuelled by coke and great ideas, but then things started to unravel with Sorkinn's descent into addiction hell.

by Anonymousreply 48March 28, 2011 11:54 AM

[quote]I'm not a fan of his style of writing. I always viewed him as a poor man's John Guare.

Ouch, and a pretty astute observation. (Though I've enjoyed a lot of Guare's work).

by Anonymousreply 49March 28, 2011 12:25 PM

I think Studio 60 was his 'coming out.' After watching a few episodes of that sissy-ass show... Yeah, Aaron Sorkin is probably gay.

by Anonymousreply 50July 9, 2012 11:56 PM

He is dating raging heterosexual actress Kristen Davis....

by Anonymousreply 51July 10, 2012 12:00 AM

For fuck's sake, stop trying to make everyone with a long list of loser traits -- drugs, aborted relationship, (implied queeny) theatrical sort, and "self-loathing"-- into a gay.

by Anonymousreply 52July 10, 2012 12:07 AM

He was on Piers Morgan last week with frosted hair. FROSTED HAIR!

by Anonymousreply 53July 10, 2012 12:15 AM

Re 1/2 Jewish issue: That technically means that only one parent is Jewish. However traditional Jews claim the mother dictates religion. Whether this goes back to the assumption that moms usually raised children or that Jewish girls were sometimes raped in dangerous times and that this way any offspring would be accepted, I don't really know.

by Anonymousreply 54July 10, 2012 12:49 AM

Wow this page is filled with a bunch of douchebags! All of you need to Get a damn life!

by Anonymousreply 55February 18, 2013 12:34 AM

Studio 60 had such promise, but went downhill fast.

I would say West Wing maintained high quality throughout the Sorkin years.

by Anonymousreply 56February 18, 2013 2:49 AM

one correction:....Megan Gallagher wasn't the understudy r20...She was kind of a big deal too and had just been written out of China Beach and returned to NY to lick her wounds.

by Anonymousreply 57February 18, 2013 2:56 AM

ooops this is a really old thread!!

by Anonymousreply 58February 18, 2013 2:57 AM

[quote] the guy who always identified himself as half-Jewish, when there is no such thing

What?

by Anonymousreply 59February 18, 2013 3:12 AM

ANybody see his interview with Dan Rather? He comes off well in my opinion, although he tries too hard to be humble and self-deprecating.

by Anonymousreply 60June 12, 2014 1:34 AM

He is not Preston Sturges!

Not!

by Anonymousreply 61June 12, 2014 4:51 AM

r20 must be wrong. Megan Gallagher couldn't have been the understudy. She was already a known name and star of China Beach among other things when she took that role.

by Anonymousreply 62June 12, 2014 4:57 AM

I hated all his sanctimonious shows

by Anonymousreply 63October 6, 2018 3:25 AM

He was a bartender during the original run of "Cats"

That is about as gay as it gets.

by Anonymousreply 64October 6, 2018 3:27 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!