Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Worst Living Major Author

I nominate both Philip Roth and Stephen King.

by Anonymousreply 150June 20, 2018 9:05 PM

James Patterson

by Anonymousreply 1February 26, 2011 12:46 PM

From the way the Joyce Carol Oates thread is going I'm assuming that her name will pop up.

by Anonymousreply 2February 26, 2011 12:49 PM

Roth and King aren't even close to the worst, OP. James Patterson is certainly up there, though it's virtually impossible to know whether it's he or his stable of "sub-authors" who are responsible for the dreck.

by Anonymousreply 3February 26, 2011 12:55 PM

Martin Amis. His recent comments, that he would only write a children's book if he were brain damaged, were sickening and show a distinct LACK of imagination.

by Anonymousreply 4February 26, 2011 12:59 PM

Ahem!

by Anonymousreply 5February 26, 2011 1:00 PM

I once had a boss with a PhD and he gave me a Vince Flynn book to read.

Halfway through I was left wondering how such a genius could enjoy such a shitty book.

by Anonymousreply 6February 26, 2011 1:01 PM

Are we talking about authors who are actually respected, or just mainstream authors? If it's just mainstream, I have to go with Nicholas Sparks or Danielle Steel. Their work actually makes me angry.

by Anonymousreply 7February 26, 2011 1:10 PM

If we're not talking about "literature", Laurell K. Hamilton.

If we are talking about "literature", Jonathan Franzen.

by Anonymousreply 8February 26, 2011 1:16 PM

Rosamund Pilcher...just read *Coming Home* and it was so over sentimentalized. She created a world that simply doesn't exist and her language is hackneyed and clumsy trying to sound Brit upper crust.

Puke-fest.

by Anonymousreply 9February 26, 2011 1:17 PM

God, I woke up this morning wanting to start a thread about how awful James Patterson is. Someone gave me "Sail" a few years ago which wasn't too bad but then my sister bought me the two "Witch and Wizard" books for Christmas and they were AWFUL! I don't know why I even finished reading them but I felt obligated. What a hack! No sense of place and lame, contrived situations. The chapters are told in the first person, alternating between the witch and wizard but there's no difference in tone or character- the only way you would know is because of the chapter heading. Did anyone hear the story on him on NPR? Something about him deciding to make the chapters so short and the type large so people would feel like his books were literal "page turners?" So awful. Stephen King is a thousand times better than JP.

by Anonymousreply 10February 26, 2011 1:18 PM

Augusten Burroughs.%0D %0D Really, how good can you expect the writing of a high school dropout to be?

by Anonymousreply 11February 26, 2011 1:21 PM

Patricia Cornwell. How such a rubbish writer can become a bestseller is beyond me...

by Anonymousreply 12February 26, 2011 1:29 PM

R4, he's right

by Anonymousreply 13February 26, 2011 1:31 PM

r13 - Ian McEwan.

by Anonymousreply 14February 26, 2011 1:33 PM

Define "major".

by Anonymousreply 15February 26, 2011 1:33 PM

Terry Goodkind

by Anonymousreply 16February 26, 2011 1:37 PM

R6 I'm not sure I can buy your logic since you seem to think that only a "genius" can earn a Ph.D.

by Anonymousreply 17February 26, 2011 1:38 PM

Stephenie Meyer. Twilight and it's sequels have to be the worst written books in recent memory. The fact that it's spawned 'Twilight Moms' and Kristen Stewart's career just make it worse.

by Anonymousreply 18February 26, 2011 2:06 PM

R10, you are right. James Patterson is the worst. Someone I respected gave me one of his books and I just cringed thro the whole thing. One of his "devices" to describe how a character looks is to compare them all to current active movie stars. I guess that's one way to insure your shitty books get made into movies.

by Anonymousreply 19February 26, 2011 2:18 PM

[quote]Twilight and it's sequels have to be the worst written books in recent memory.

Ah, I see we have an editor in the house.

by Anonymousreply 20February 26, 2011 2:24 PM

I can't believe no one's said Danielle Steel. I've never even read one of her books but if they're anywhere near as horrid as her movies are, UGH.

by Anonymousreply 21February 26, 2011 2:25 PM

Why doesn't anybody think about me anymore?

by Anonymousreply 22February 26, 2011 2:26 PM

R21 Danielle Steel has done films? where?

by Anonymousreply 23February 26, 2011 2:29 PM

Dan Brown.

by Anonymousreply 24February 26, 2011 2:29 PM

Someone recommended "The Pillars of the Earth" to me by Ken Follett, and it was just terrible. Hacnkey, cliched writing and cardboard cutout characters.

by Anonymousreply 25February 26, 2011 2:29 PM

Dean Koontz

by Anonymousreply 26February 26, 2011 2:29 PM

Robert Hillman Brown

by Anonymousreply 27February 26, 2011 2:37 PM

I really liked the Pillars of the Earth. I enjoyed the history.%0D %0D I find Clive Cussler's novels very readable, but they are so formulaic.

by Anonymousreply 28February 26, 2011 2:39 PM

[quote]Danielle Steel has done films? where?

They're usually made-for-tv movies that air on Lifetime, R23. I rest my case.

Re: Ken Follett, both Pillars of the Earth and its follow-up Fall of Giants were dreadful. Follett's terrible at writing the huge epic sagas but his regular books are much better. He should stop writing the multi-generational soapy crap and get back to the thrillers.

by Anonymousreply 29February 26, 2011 2:45 PM

The only one I bothered to read on this thread was Augusten Burroughs, and I could not believe how bad/childish it was.

by Anonymousreply 30February 26, 2011 2:51 PM

without a doubt Ian McEwan is the hack of the world, a close second to Khaled Hosseini.

OP's choices are ridiculous. Roth is a truly great writer. King a terrific genre writer.

by Anonymousreply 31February 26, 2011 2:54 PM

Dan Brown is also a good genre writer, the only reason to condemn him is to condemn the kind of worldwide adulation he has inspired for writing merely extremely clever, brainy diversions, an achievement for which I applaud him, but indeed wish the world cared more about different values in authorship (and I would expect he, as an extremely well read and intelligent guy, would agree).

by Anonymousreply 32February 26, 2011 2:57 PM

Please, R31. Roth has written the exact same middling book for the past 40 years, and King's histrionic description only plays well with the Kansas and Nebraska set.

by Anonymousreply 33February 26, 2011 2:58 PM

Oh yeah, I haven't actually read anything but the first 10 pages of Twilight but there's a really funny self published parody of it on Amazon for 99 cents. It captures that shitty voice really well. I think it's called Midafternoon.

by Anonymousreply 34February 26, 2011 2:59 PM

Hi! I write books too!

by Anonymousreply 35February 26, 2011 2:59 PM

R31, I agree with you regarding Stephen King and Roth. In the case of King, I think he's quite prolific and has distinctive voice.

by Anonymousreply 36February 26, 2011 2:59 PM

Clive Cussler's action parts are entertaining enough, if predictable. But he should really stay away from any kind of romantic parts. 'pasted on' has never been more appropriate. It's like whole book is pure action-adventure and then he decides to get a couple that has shown not any (or much) previous attraction together, in a page or less. Totally redundant.

by Anonymousreply 37February 26, 2011 3:10 PM

Ann Rice. She's been grinding out crap for years and I think it was she who originated the trend of vampires as exciting, glamourous, sexually alluring creatures who just happen to kill people by biting into their necks and drinking their blood. If there was no Ann Rice I don't think the ghastly "Twilight" series would have come into existence. That's another reason to hate Rice's guts.

by Anonymousreply 38February 26, 2011 3:10 PM

For de gays, it's Darwin Porter (bad research and logic) or Ethan Morrden (unreadable tangentialist).

by Anonymousreply 39February 26, 2011 3:16 PM

This is from last year -- it is such a brilliant summation of Roth, I send it to anyone who dares to suggest he deserves any of his Nobel nominations:

[quote]Hot shiksa lesbians really, really want to go to bed with self-absorbed, mopey Jewish guys...especially if these men, like myself, are over 60 and afflicted with flatulence and bristly nose hairs. Not only that, but the shiksas are rarin' to rope their girlfriends in to eagerly participate in threesomes with me. It's a proven fact and stating it makes me a great American novelist. -- by: P. Roth

by Anonymousreply 40February 26, 2011 3:20 PM

I definitely agree with you about Roth, OP.

Imagine spending your entire career writing about nothing but porking shiksas.

by Anonymousreply 41February 26, 2011 3:24 PM

Ha ha! @ R40

by Anonymousreply 42February 26, 2011 3:25 PM

Whoever wrote "the bridges of madison county" is the worst.

It was jaw-droppingly bad.

by Anonymousreply 43February 26, 2011 3:29 PM

Come on...none of them are worse than Christopher Rice.

by Anonymousreply 44February 26, 2011 3:33 PM

I'm sad that Mailer and Roth are embraced as not only the epitome of Jewish writing in the latter 20th century, but of US writing itself when good fellows like Alfred Kazin get nary a mention in either category.

by Anonymousreply 45February 26, 2011 3:35 PM

I rank them:%0D %0D 1. Stephanie Meyers for single-handedly ruining an entire classic genre, with her Twilight series, and then spinning it into movies further blighting the pop cultural landscape. She gave us an entire generation of vile, talentless nobodies, like Kristen Stewart, Rob Pattinson, Taylor Lautner, and the very worst of the bunch, Kellan Lutz. I've never read her books, never seen the movies, yet I know these people. WHY??? %0D %0D 2. Vince Flynn for singlehandedly ruining another genre. He sucks. He is a rank amateur. He cannot even aspire to mediocrity. %0D %0D 3. James Patterson- this schlockmeister turned the crime/mystery thriller into an industry. He's churned out so many books it is frightening. He has an entire staff of writers working for him. He is not an author he is a brand. His shallow, formulaic garbage has polluted the minds of clerks and housewives for a generation, with no end in sight.%0D %0D These are my top three.%0D %0D Patricia Cornwell, the Kellermans, Dannielle Steele, Rosamund Pilcher, Maeve Binchey, Nancy Roberts, and yes, Joyce Carole Oates all get honorable mentions. Joyce actually teaches at universities and passes off as literature the steaming pile of gothic crap she writes.

by Anonymousreply 46February 26, 2011 3:40 PM

[quote]I'm sad that Mailer and Roth are embraced as not only the epitome of Jewish writing in the latter 20th century.

Saul Bellow much more so than Mailer, R45.

by Anonymousreply 47February 26, 2011 3:48 PM

Bellow is embraced by those who know, R47, and he got his Nobel -- I'm taking about in this new (post-50s) era of odd critical favorites.

Anyway, I thought I'd shill for Kazin. :D

by Anonymousreply 48February 26, 2011 4:02 PM

I would add Nicholas Sparks to the R46's list. Most of those people are literary equivalents of Thomas Kinkade.

by Anonymousreply 49February 26, 2011 4:04 PM

Saul Bellow can write a terrific sentence!

Very pleased to hear the Ian McEwan hate. He's a festival of cliches.

I'd vote for Jonathan Safran Foer as the most overrated writer of the moment, followed closely by his wife Nicole Kraus. And I think Jhumpa Lahiri is an AWFUL writer, sorry. Flat, dull, pretentiously plain. And she particularly cannot write a novel. Benjamin Kunkel wrote a wretchedly, wretchely bad novel. I don't know why these guys get so much attention from the NYC literary community.

by Anonymousreply 50February 26, 2011 4:07 PM

Pat Conroy, especially "The Prince of Tides."

by Anonymousreply 51February 26, 2011 4:11 PM

Joyce Carol Oates has held this title for several decades.

by Anonymousreply 52February 26, 2011 4:11 PM

Bret Easton Ellis, Tama Janowitz and all their friends who messed up the 80s for most young writers...

by Anonymousreply 53February 26, 2011 4:18 PM

I agree that Bret Easton Ellis is a hack but Tama Janowitz had at least one book I enjoyed (The Male Cross Dresser Support Group).

by Anonymousreply 54February 26, 2011 4:30 PM

I think Dan Brown is a terrible writer.

by Anonymousreply 55February 26, 2011 4:36 PM

Not serious - Dan Brown

"Serious" writer - Dave Eggers

by Anonymousreply 56February 26, 2011 4:45 PM

Jonathan Franzen. Silly, overrated, and boring. Do a search for the Slate piece on "Freedom." Very funny, and spot on.

by Anonymousreply 57February 26, 2011 5:39 PM

ListenR57 could you please be so kind as to summarise it for us? I am too lazy to read at this point

by Anonymousreply 58February 26, 2011 6:25 PM

I love Roth..The Human Stain, American Pastoral, and the Plot Against America are great well written books to me...to each his own, I guess...

but the pulp hacks like Patterson, Kellermans, and all that are just, well, that.

I like to take them on an airplane so I son't have to think...

by Anonymousreply 59February 26, 2011 6:36 PM

For airplane authors, I prefer John Sandford. Patterson was so awful that I couldn't stand to read him, even when I was stuck in the airport for hours.

by Anonymousreply 60February 26, 2011 6:42 PM

60 replies and no one mentions Tom Bianchi?

You bitches are slipping.

by Anonymousreply 61February 26, 2011 6:43 PM

You bitches are slapping! (my ass)

by Anonymousreply 62February 26, 2011 6:45 PM

I agree. Dan Brown is terrible. Really terrible. I read the Da Vinci Code and got SO angry at myself for having been sucked into the hype. %0D %0D I never read the sequel, but Follet's Pillars of the Earth wasn't too bad. At least he researched his subject. I have nothing but contempt for someone who proposes to write an historical novel and fails miserably on the research for it. Nothing is more condemning that inauthenticity in that instance.

by Anonymousreply 63February 26, 2011 6:46 PM

I highly disagree regarding Joyce Carol Oates. I also like Dean Koontz for a good, scary beach read.

But the Christopher Rice novel I read was pretty bad R44. Something about gay marines on the run for a murder they didn't commit. Lame and not even a good sex scene. His editor actually recommended it on Facebook. I would have been ashamed.

But the James Patterson book I just read was SO BAD. I can't express how awful it was.

by Anonymousreply 64February 26, 2011 6:47 PM

How cliche of you, OP.

by Anonymousreply 65February 26, 2011 6:49 PM

I've never been able to finish more than a couple of pages of Foer's work.%0D %0D I love Franzen and Bellow.

by Anonymousreply 66February 26, 2011 6:53 PM

Sometimes cliches are cliches for a reason, R65/Roth.

by Anonymousreply 67February 26, 2011 6:54 PM

Stieg Larsson.

by Anonymousreply 68February 26, 2011 6:56 PM

Give us some examples if you can. Excerpts would be appreciated.

by Anonymousreply 69February 26, 2011 6:56 PM

Stieg Larsson is dead.

by Anonymousreply 70February 26, 2011 7:02 PM

"Really, how good can you expect the writing of a high school dropout to be?"%0D %0D %0D %0D How much formal education do you think Shakespeare had? %0D

by Anonymousreply 71February 26, 2011 8:03 PM

Put down the crack pipe, R32. Dan Brown is a terrible, terrible writer.

by Anonymousreply 72February 26, 2011 9:59 PM

I liked Everything is Illuminated when I was 19 but everything I've read since, hoo boy. I like Nicole Krauss well enough though

by Anonymousreply 73February 26, 2011 10:02 PM

I'm surprised Dan Brown isn't getting more votes.

by Anonymousreply 74February 26, 2011 10:04 PM

The Plot Against America is not The Professor of Desire is not The Breast is not Portnoy's Complaint is certainly not The Human Stain.

sorry to all who are trying to make every Roth novel the same, you are simply wrong.

by Anonymousreply 75February 26, 2011 10:05 PM

"Everything Is Illuminated" is the kind of book a smart teen would like, R73, so don't beat yourself up over it. My sister liked it when she was in her teens, but has since amended her assessment.

by Anonymousreply 76February 26, 2011 10:06 PM

Which one of those doesn't have a horny, self-absorbed male as the most important character, R75?%0D %0D Oh, that's right - they all do.

by Anonymousreply 77February 26, 2011 10:07 PM

[quote]The Plot Against America is not The Professor of Desire is not The Breast is not Portnoy's Complaint is certainly not The Human Stain.

And yet all of them (except for the first one) are about superhorny heterosexual Jewish men obsessing and obsessing and obsessing about pussy.

by Anonymousreply 78February 26, 2011 10:10 PM

Has no one read Mary Ann in Autumn?%0D %0D Stinko.

by Anonymousreply 79February 26, 2011 10:10 PM

james patterson is brilliant, seriously. I love his books and plan on reading all of them. I only wish he would publish 52 books a year so that I would have one for every week.%0D %0D They are great airplane books but even if not on a plane they are highly enjoyable.%0D %0D I also love Sandford, the shopaholic books, Cornwell, Slaughter and numerous others.

by Anonymousreply 80February 26, 2011 11:05 PM

80 replies and no one has yet said "JKP"?

by Anonymousreply 81February 26, 2011 11:09 PM

Who is JKP?

by Anonymousreply 82February 28, 2011 12:37 AM

"james patterson is brilliant, seriously."%0D %0D %0D %0D %0D I think you mean that the people who write James Patterson's books for him are brilliant

by Anonymousreply 83February 28, 2011 5:34 AM

Has no one read my book yet?

by Anonymousreply 84February 28, 2011 5:47 AM

Snookie, the credit should go to your ghost writer

by Anonymousreply 85February 28, 2011 5:49 AM

Franzen's "Freedom" haunts me for being such annoying dreck.

by Anonymousreply 86February 28, 2011 5:52 AM

Glenn Beck.

by Anonymousreply 87February 28, 2011 5:57 AM

All those timid under-40 New Yorker fiction writers

by Anonymousreply 88March 1, 2011 4:47 AM

bump

by Anonymousreply 89March 1, 2011 5:29 AM

People who hate women are also people who hate homosexuals.

Queers who degrade and demean women are self-loathing homosexuals.

If you hate women, you hate yourself.

Stop the DL violence against women.

Stop using the c-word on DL.

by Anonymousreply 90March 13, 2011 5:46 AM

So, who is JKP?

by Anonymousreply 91March 13, 2011 7:18 AM

Dan Brown.

by Anonymousreply 92March 13, 2011 7:24 AM

Kean Koontz

by Anonymousreply 93March 13, 2011 7:34 AM

I'm sure Tamara Janowitz is happy to be forgotten, rather than major. If she were still in the game, she'd own this thread.

by Anonymousreply 94March 27, 2011 12:31 PM

whoops, I meant Tama Janowitz.

Hell, I even forgot her name.

by Anonymousreply 95March 27, 2011 12:32 PM

Toni Morrison.

by Anonymousreply 96March 27, 2011 1:15 PM

Can we list Julie Powell for being a horrible person? As annoying and self-centered as she comes across in "Julie and Julia", her second book, "Cleaving", made me want to punch her in the face. %0D %0D It was really hard to turn the pages with my hands clenched into fists the entire time.

by Anonymousreply 97March 27, 2011 4:17 PM

Philip Roth%0D James Patterson%0D Danielle Steel%0D Kathryn Stockett - "The Help" could have been editted down by a good 75%. As much as I liked the idea of the book it became ridiculous after a while. I hope the movie eliminates the repetitive bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 98March 27, 2011 4:27 PM

"Julie and Julia" just sucked--couldn't finish it. Can't imagine reading anything else that woman wrote.

by Anonymousreply 99March 27, 2011 4:34 PM

It's that Foer asshole. No contest.

by Anonymousreply 100March 27, 2011 4:43 PM

Tim LaHaye and Jerry Jenkins beat all these for their baleful influence on the public in the "Left Behind" series.%0D %0D Not JKP, JK Rowling was the target of that suggestion. She's horrible for being a billionaire but not for her writing, which is okay, but not great.%0D %0D Frank McCourt is a dreary windbag, as well.%0D

by Anonymousreply 101March 27, 2011 4:53 PM

R100, you'll be pleased to hear that Jonathan Safran Foer's brother Joshua just released a book called "Moonwalking with Einstein."

by Anonymousreply 102March 27, 2011 4:55 PM

henning menkel

by Anonymousreply 103March 27, 2011 4:59 PM

James Patterson, Inc. He still writes the Alex Cross books, but the rest are outlined by him, then shipped off to other writers who have to follow his formula--short chapters, brief pop cultural related descriptions, gruesome violence, and some sentimentality.

by Anonymousreply 104March 27, 2011 5:57 PM

The worst book I ever read was "Rage of Angels" by Sidney Sheldon. Surely, he deserves a mention in this thread.

by Anonymousreply 105March 27, 2011 6:23 PM

r101, you mean Rowling is horrible considering she made millions of her books or that her books ore so-so, but she's a horrible person? If so, do share!

by Anonymousreply 106March 27, 2011 6:55 PM

"Freedom" is over-written, fraudulent horseshit that never comes close to the brilliance that was "The Corrections".

Reminds me of everything Tom Wolfe has done since "Bonfire Of The Vanities". As little as there's been.

by Anonymousreply 107March 27, 2011 10:16 PM

Oh, good. Another untalented Foer to despise!

by Anonymousreply 108March 27, 2011 10:30 PM

Pat Conroy.

Thread closed.

by Anonymousreply 109March 27, 2011 10:57 PM

Nora Roberts. And I've heard she's a bitch. Though it was a bitch who told me she's a bitch.

by Anonymousreply 110March 29, 2011 10:38 PM

Conroy was mentioned @ R51 a month ago, R109. The thread remained open.

by Anonymousreply 111March 29, 2011 10:50 PM

x

by Anonymousreply 112November 15, 2014 8:16 PM

James Patterson is less an author than owner of a temp service.

by Anonymousreply 113November 15, 2014 8:42 PM

OP is cray cray.

by Anonymousreply 114November 15, 2014 8:46 PM

E. L. James has dethroned Patterson as the weakest writer on a sentence-by-sentence level. Stephanie Meyer is a close third. Calling them writers is like calling Burger King a restaurant.

by Anonymousreply 115June 9, 2015 9:13 PM

The worst is the author of REPLY 115 for resurrecting a ZOMBIE THREAD.

by Anonymousreply 116June 9, 2015 9:24 PM

Thank you, R115, I didn't see this thread when it was alive and it would have been a fucking shame to have it die without that fucking moron included in it.

E.L. James - THREAD CLOSED

by Anonymousreply 117June 9, 2015 10:52 PM

Nora Roberts is a real bitch.

by Anonymousreply 118June 9, 2015 11:38 PM

When my boyfriend went to visit his family I felt so lonely that I decided to read something that would distract me. I bought a copy of "The Da Vinci Code" and finished it in two days. While it did distract me, after finishing it and closing the cover all I could think was - what a piece of shit!

by Anonymousreply 119June 10, 2015 12:25 AM

Stephen King's 'Pet Cemetery" was so terrifying to me when I was in High School, that I swore-off all his books for life.

by Anonymousreply 120June 10, 2015 1:26 AM

Donald Trump and Bill O'Reilly.

by Anonymousreply 121June 10, 2015 1:34 AM

Toni Morrison.

by Anonymousreply 122June 10, 2015 9:52 PM

What's wrong with Jonathan Kellerman's books?

by Anonymousreply 123June 10, 2015 10:32 PM

Stephenie Meyer and E.L. James owns this thread.

by Anonymousreply 124June 10, 2015 11:17 PM

I nominate the OP of this thread.

by Anonymousreply 125June 11, 2015 1:27 AM

xxxx

by Anonymousreply 126July 19, 2015 5:34 AM

How come this 4-year-old thread can get bumped while other, far more recent threads are closed?

by Anonymousreply 127July 19, 2015 6:13 AM

I tried to get through King's book about someone going back in time to prevent the Kennedy assassination after having people recommend it to me. It was horribly written. Cliche characters, ridiculous contrivances, sappy sentiments. King long ago lost any creative spark he might have had and seems to now write by committee.

by Anonymousreply 128July 19, 2015 3:00 PM

Write a paragraph or two on this web page and see who you write like!

Warning, many of the authors on this thread come up as answers....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129July 19, 2015 6:53 PM

R104 writes like H. P. Lovecraft

Sadly, r63 writes like Dan Brown

by Anonymousreply 130July 19, 2015 7:24 PM

Not a fan of Safran Foer.

by Anonymousreply 131January 22, 2018 3:30 AM

That bitch who wrote 50 Shades

by Anonymousreply 132January 22, 2018 3:32 AM

[quote]Joyce actually teaches at universities and passes off as literature the steaming pile of gothic crap she writes.

Gothic crap? Now you made me think of a gargoyle taking a shit.

by Anonymousreply 133January 22, 2018 4:54 AM

Not sure that he's a "major author" but Ekhart Tolle. Repetitive text which I understand is because the book is more like a course. But still, an awful writer.

by Anonymousreply 134January 22, 2018 5:10 AM

DeLillo

by Anonymousreply 135January 22, 2018 5:11 AM

R121 Trump didn't write his books. He can't write, except for one paragraph that Ivanka has to proof and correct, such as his ridiculous Tweets. Tony Schwartz wrote Trump's books. Trump authored nothing.

by Anonymousreply 136January 22, 2018 5:14 AM

NOT MAJOR but fuck it: Lark Voorhies

the reviews alone are........oh dear.....see for your self.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137January 23, 2018 1:24 AM

Michael Cunningham

by Anonymousreply 138January 23, 2018 2:53 AM

R3 is quite right. Modern day Shakespearean authorship!

by Anonymousreply 139January 23, 2018 2:58 AM

I nominate John Grisham.... Believe he's still sucking the air.

by Anonymousreply 140January 23, 2018 3:06 AM

Dan Brown

by Anonymousreply 141January 23, 2018 3:55 AM

Bill Clinton

by Anonymousreply 142June 20, 2018 7:36 AM

I will always love Stephen King.

by Anonymousreply 143June 20, 2018 7:41 AM

Although he's no longer living as of this month, I nominate Philip Roth based on my recent reading of American Pastoral which is cited as one of his finest novels. I stuck with it to the end hoping that it would get less tiresome, but the final dinner party scene was the height of tedium in an already unrelenting slog-fest.

by Anonymousreply 144June 20, 2018 2:08 PM

Jonathan Franzen. I finally got around to reading one of his books and couldn't stop laughing at how bad it was. It was like the emperor's new clothes.

by Anonymousreply 145June 20, 2018 2:35 PM

Maybe some of the King fan can explain this quirk of his to me. I read several of his books and stories years ago and he seems to have a thing about women punishing their wives by “paddling” (his word) them. Not as a pleasurable kink, but a real punishment. I always thought that was...weird. Like the wives are treated as children - very creepy.

He also seems weirdly focused on women peeing.

In The Stand, a character thinks to himself that religion is as necessary to old ladies as Lipton tea bags and enemas. Wtf? Enemas?! The tea bags I can see but I never particularly associated enemas with old ladies.

The paddling thing comes up again in The Stand, when a guy threatens a half nude girl he just fucked to “paddle” her with the spatula she just threw at him. I can’t decide if it’s King’s sexual kink or the men in his stories don’t just punch women, as they do in real life.

by Anonymousreply 146June 20, 2018 2:47 PM

Sorry, MEN punishing their wives (above). He doesn’t write about the lezzes.

by Anonymousreply 147June 20, 2018 2:48 PM

And what happened to Larry McMurtry?

by Anonymousreply 148June 20, 2018 3:18 PM

Elena Ferrante

by Anonymousreply 149June 20, 2018 8:58 PM

I never noticed paddling in King's books. But sexual abuse is a running theme especially abuse of young boys. In his latest book a boy is tortured,partially eaten, and raped with a tree branch. WTF Stephen?

by Anonymousreply 150June 20, 2018 9:05 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!