Join the Bitchfest >>

Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald (2018)

Second movie of the franchise. Comes out on November 16th.

First look at Jude Law as Dumbledore.

--Anonymous
replies 27Nov 16, 2017 4:56 AM +00:00

Group photo.

pbs.twimg.com
--OP
replies 1Nov 16, 2017 4:59 AM +00:00

They've got to be regretting the choice of Johnny Depp as Grindelwald.

--Anonymous
replies 2Nov 16, 2017 5:07 AM +00:00

Oh, for sure. Still, doesn't he look healthier here? Less bloated, mainly.

--Anonymous
replies 3Nov 16, 2017 5:23 AM +00:00

Johnny Depp is trending globally on Twitter right now because people are mad that Warner Bros would keep an abuser in one of their movies. I don't understand what these outraged people thought would happen after he had already starred in the first movie. That the studio would recast an A-lister like Depp and effectively end his career overnight?

Still, I'd bet their marketing team must be in a full-blown panic mode right now.

Johnny Depp, who was accused of physically abusing his ex-wife, plays the title character in "Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald."
Quartzy
--Anonymous
replies 4Nov 16, 2017 10:48 AM +00:00

The first of this series was so awful that maybe this will kill his career.

--Anonymous
replies 5Nov 16, 2017 11:24 AM +00:00

I kinda hate that they botched this homosexual love story by casting Depp. Should've gone to Skarsgård from the start.

Such a missed opportunity.

--Anonymous
replies 6Nov 16, 2017 11:30 AM +00:00

It is called Fantastic Beats for what? It isn't really about that.

--Anonymous
replies 7Nov 16, 2017 12:32 PM +00:00

Well, I think it is still about Newt Scamander and maybe patly about his now published book.

--Anonymous
replies 8Nov 17, 2017 12:05 PM +00:00

Yates defends Depp's casting.

Honestly, there’s an issue at the moment where there’s a lot of people being accused of things, they’re being accused by multiple victims, and it’s compelling and frightening. With Johnny, it seems to me there was one person who took a pop at him and claimed something. I can only tell you about the man I see every day: He’s full of decency and kindness, and that’s all I see. Whatever accusation was out there doesn’t tally with the kind of human being I’ve been working with.
Exclusive: irector David Yates on casting controversy: 'He's full of decency and kindness … it's a dead issue' 
EW.com
--Anonymous
replies 9Nov 28, 2017 8:11 AM +00:00

Fantashtic Beash: The Crimesh of Gwendolyn

--Lizsha
replies 10Nov 28, 2017 8:15 AM +00:00

Hi, Lizsha!

--Anonymous
replies 11Nov 28, 2017 8:17 AM +00:00

The first movie was terrible. No need to keep watching this series

--Anonymous
replies 12Nov 28, 2017 8:27 AM +00:00

It is funny how the big "reveal" that it wasn't Colin Farrell but actually Johnny Depp made everyone groan. Everywhere I've seen discussion of the movie people would have rather had Colin than him.

Curious to see how they handle Dumbledore, JK Rowling better redeem her error and give the audience something clear that establishes he is gay.

--Anonymous
replies 13Nov 28, 2017 8:55 AM +00:00

I loved the first movie. Niffler was the star of the show. It was a sweet, funny kids movie. No need for a homoerotic subtext.

--Anonymous
replies 14Nov 28, 2017 9:23 AM +00:00
No need for a homoerotic subtext.

Err. There is absolutely a need. Dumbledore was in love with Grindlewald, and tried to blind himself to what he was. That is a crucial component of the characters relationship and Dumbledore's sense of guilt and responsibility.

--Anonymous
replies 15Nov 28, 2017 9:27 AM +00:00

I didn’t like the Potter series and I didn’t make it through FB. ☹️

--Anonymous
replies 16Nov 28, 2017 9:31 AM +00:00

R15 it’s a children’s movie. There is absolutely no need for it. You read into it whatever you want but not everything is about you.

--Anonymous
replies 17Nov 28, 2017 9:35 AM +00:00

Are you a troll? The existence of gay people is threatening to children? Am I actually reading this on a gay board?

I'm not "reading into it". In case you didn't pick that up from reading the series, the author spelled it out.

Dumbledore fell in love with Grindelwald, and that added to his horror when Grindelwald showed himself to be what he was. To an extent, do we say it excused Dumbledore a little more because falling in love can blind us to an extent? But, he met someone as brilliant as he was, and rather like Bellatrix he was very drawn to this brilliant person, and horribly, terribly let down by him.
--Anonymous
replies 18Nov 28, 2017 9:38 AM +00:00

No the existence of gay people is not threatening to children AND I DID NOT SAY THAT cunt r18. What I said is children don’t need a homoerotic subtext. This is a movie for children, it’s not about you and your need to view every fucking thing through the lens of your own ego.

--Anonymous
replies 19Nov 28, 2017 11:37 AM +00:00

I'd rather a thousand Depps than one Katherine Waterston. That wan bitch ruins everything she's in.

--Anonymous
replies 20Nov 28, 2017 11:41 AM +00:00

R19 First of all, it's not a "movie for children" but a movie that is also suitable for children. In fact, many critics have been pointing out just how much darker it was in its tone compared to the HP movies.

Secondly, what about the heteroerotic subtext of the first movie? Didn't all that flirting between the four main characters bother those poor children?

--Anonymous
replies 21Nov 28, 2017 11:41 AM +00:00

r19 must be kidding. Yikes are on you on the wrong forum with your sad homophobia and not even knowing the story You are wrong, just admit it.

--Anonymous
replies 22Nov 28, 2017 11:56 AM +00:00

I think they should move the action back to Britain, I really didn't like the NY setting.

And, yes, the gay issue should be addressed in some way.

--Anonymous
replies 23Nov 28, 2017 12:35 PM +00:00

First pic! Both looking very dapper.

imagesvc.timeincapp.com
--Anonymous
replies 24Dec 6, 2017 10:04 AM +00:00

I love Jude Law - I think he is sexy as hell

--Anonymous
replies 25Dec 6, 2017 10:08 AM +00:00
“I can’t tell you everything I would like to say because this is obviously a five-part story so there’s lots to unpack in that relationship,” she said. “You will see Dumbledore as a younger man and quite a troubled man — he wasn’t always the sage…We’ll see him at that formative period of his life.” She went on to hint that Dumbledore will be openly gay in the series. “As far as his sexuality is concerned,” she said, pausing for a moment. “Watch this space.”
"We’ll see him at that formative period of his life"
Time
--Anonymous
replies 26Dec 6, 2017 10:09 AM +00:00

J. K. Rowling finally responds to the casting controversy on her blog:

When Johnny Depp was cast as Grindelwald, I thought he’d be wonderful in the role. However, around the time of filming his cameo in the first movie, stories had appeared in the press that deeply concerned me and everyone most closely involved in the franchise.
Harry Potter fans had legitimate questions and concerns about our choice to continue with Johnny Depp in the role. As David Yates, long-time Potter director, has already said, we naturally considered the possibility of recasting. I understand why some have been confused and angry about why that didn’t happen.
The huge, mutually supportive community that has grown up around Harry Potter is one of the greatest joys of my life. For me personally, the inability to speak openly to fans about this issue has been difficult, frustrating and at times painful. However, the agreements that have been put in place to protect the privacy of two people, both of whom have expressed a desire to get on with their lives, must be respected. Based on our understanding of the circumstances, the filmmakers and I are not only comfortable sticking with our original casting, but genuinely happy to have Johnny playing a major character in the movies.
I’ve loved writing the first two screenplays and I can’t wait for fans to see ‘The Crimes of Grindelwald’. I accept that there will be those who are not satisfied with our choice of actor in the title role. However, conscience isn’t governable by committee. Within the fictional world and outside it, we all have to do what we believe to be the right thing.
When Johnny Depp was cast as Grindelwald, I thought he’d be wonderful in the role. However, around the time of filming his cameo in the first movie, stories had appeared in the press that deeply concerned me and everyone most closely involved in the franchise. Harry Potter fans had legitimate questions and concerns about our …
J.K. Rowling
--Anonymous
replies 27Dec 7, 2017 8:27 AM +00:00