Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What actually is a Bavette steak?

I see « bifteck de bavette » all the time in French language recipes. I know “bavette” means skirt, but English language recipes seem to use bavette interchangeably with terms like skirt steak, flap steak, flank steak, and even steak tips(?). Is it just skirt steak, or is there some secret fancy morsel of beef that I’m unaware of?

I know those are all parts of the cow and that everything connects. But I’d love it if any DL epicures could imbue some light on the topic and limn this beefy question for me.

by Anonymousreply 23May 6, 2024 3:37 PM

From R71 of the below-linked thread:

Beef eaters, try a cut of beef called "flap." I think it's also known as sirloin bavette. Anyway, not expensive and is tasty. I have bought this from Costco, comes in strips (long, narrow slices). The way I cook it is just pan-fried (to medium-rare, closer to medium). I do use A-1. I've also eaten it marinated in teriyaki sauce and it's delicious that way as well (cooked on an outdoor grill afterwards).

I rarely eat beef, but I do like this flap cut of beef.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1May 4, 2024 2:40 AM

From R75 of the above-linked thread:

I googled for you R73! I must admit I was slightly worried too - because flaps - but here we go. I think I'll just stick with my turkey.

Sirloin bavette:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2May 4, 2024 2:42 AM

From R39 of the below-linked thread:

I bought a tray of bavette or flap steak from Costco. IMO, it's a very underrated cut of beef.

All I did was salt, pepper, oil in a pan. Delicious. You can freeze what you don't use or eat.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3May 4, 2024 2:43 AM

Oh my god, OP is embarrassingly ignorant.

by Anonymousreply 4May 4, 2024 2:43 AM

The link provided by R39 of the above-linked thread:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5May 4, 2024 2:44 AM

I once had an elaborate meal with friends in which this cut was the centerpiece. We called it Bavette's feast.

by Anonymousreply 6May 4, 2024 2:49 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7May 4, 2024 2:52 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8May 4, 2024 2:53 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9May 4, 2024 2:53 AM

I'm the one who posted about flap / bavette, cited at R1.

OP, you just have to read the articles to the links, including the link at R5, which was the article link that I posted in the Holiday Dinner thread.

Look at the diagrams of the cow that people have posted.

If you are actually interested in buying flap / bavette at the store, in my experience, it comes in long, narrow strips, maybe 3/4 of an inch thick. By long and narrow, I'd say 2.75 inches wide, maybe 10 inches long.

The name used for this cut of meat may vary by region.

This was and maybe still is a relatively inexpensive cut of meat. It's tender, IMO.

by Anonymousreply 10May 4, 2024 3:01 AM

[quote] The name used for this cut of meat may vary by region.

By region, I mean geographical, not by cow part.

by Anonymousreply 11May 4, 2024 3:02 AM

In Australia, butchers try to sell you skirt steak and think it’s the same thing. It’s not.

by Anonymousreply 12May 4, 2024 3:08 AM

Yeah, skirt is a different thing.

by Anonymousreply 13May 4, 2024 3:17 AM

I guess no one knows for sure. It seems like American cooks just say “bavette” to sound fancy when talking about any tough, sinewy cut. Everything connects.

I feel like I could just plop a cube steak and some asparagus onto a plate and call it “steak à la bavette”. Add a slice of olive oil cake and you’ve got yourself a dinner.

by Anonymousreply 14May 4, 2024 4:08 AM

You're just too lazy to read and learn, R14. Sad.

by Anonymousreply 15May 4, 2024 4:43 AM

MMMMMUUUUURRRRRIIIIIIEEEELLLLLLLLL

by Anonymousreply 16May 4, 2024 1:59 PM

It comes from a cow who has walked the Camino.

by Anonymousreply 17May 5, 2024 10:05 PM

Ok, cool kids. I went and took my meager means to my nearest meat monger and purchased what he purported and promised to be the genuine Bavette beef buy.

I’ve been marinating some marinade methods in my muddled mind and grappling with a grilling game plan. I will keep you all posted on whatever product I produce from the beef provided me by my Bavette butcher.

Onward.

by Anonymousreply 18May 6, 2024 4:59 AM

Delicious!

by Anonymousreply 19May 6, 2024 7:02 AM

Have you surrendered to the simplicity in the steak, OP? In the knowing unknowingly sensual pleasure of cooking in a solitary space?

by Anonymousreply 20May 6, 2024 7:13 AM

Isn't it an ideal cut for chicken fried steak?

by Anonymousreply 21May 6, 2024 2:57 PM

From the BBC Good Food site-

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22May 6, 2024 3:30 PM

I thought this was a subversive Kevin Sessums thread.

by Anonymousreply 23May 6, 2024 3:37 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!