Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Suzanne Pleshette

From Disney comedies to Hitchcock thrillers, she has been an instantly recognizable character actress since the 1950's. Then, in 1972, she was cast in a small little CBS sitcom opposite Bob Newhart, where she was nominated for the shows only two Emmys.

After The Bob Newhart Show, she was cast Leona Helmsley in The Queen of Mean, where she received another Emmy nominations but no win. After the Queen of Mean, she only made three films, included the acclaimed Spirited Away, before her death in 2008.

What is DL's opinion of Suzanne Pleshette?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21May 1, 2024 1:46 PM

Lifelong smoker

by Anonymousreply 1April 30, 2024 8:19 PM

I think she's tremendous.

by Anonymousreply 2April 30, 2024 8:20 PM

Fine and dandy but 4 threads in the last two years.

83 replies in a thread of 2024.

OCD thy name is Datalounge.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3April 30, 2024 8:21 PM

How about an anal douche HOW TO thread, OP? We haven't had the monthly thread yet oops, my bad. Yes we have. But tomorrow you can make a fresh one.

by Anonymousreply 4April 30, 2024 8:23 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5April 30, 2024 8:25 PM

Her marriage to Tom Poston always seemed odd to me, but I guess love is love.

It sounds like she had a good sense of humor off camera as well. . .. Entertainment Lawyer once hosted this "Reader Blind" item about Bob Newhart and her while they were working together:

[quote] This still living comic actor who is most definitely known for television would be A+ to an older generation. Some might remember he also had a good career in front of an audience before his several hit TV shows. While his personal life generally lives up to his no drama persona, and he has been married to the same woman for years and years, he does have one funny trait: he has a giant penis and in his heyday he would show it if asked. On his first hit show, the sexy, smoky-voiced co-star who married another co-star late in life once drew two eyes and mouth on it during a break.

Big Bob Newhart? .. Who knew?

by Anonymousreply 6April 30, 2024 8:32 PM

The Bob Newhart Show was only ever nominated for 2 Emmy’s?

by Anonymousreply 7April 30, 2024 8:34 PM

She was so good in The Birds. Should have gotten an Oscar nomination for it.

by Anonymousreply 8April 30, 2024 8:36 PM

Ah the lifelong smoker troll has chimed in at no. 1. [cough cough]

by Anonymousreply 9April 30, 2024 8:53 PM

r7 Does Emmy own something? Emmy's what?

by Anonymousreply 10April 30, 2024 8:54 PM

"Suzanne Pleshette IS Maggie Briggs"

I guess not. The mid-season, CBS sit-com built around Pleshette only lasted six episodes in the Spring of 1984.

Reviewers thought they were trying to update the Mary Tyler Moore show as well as include a workplace element from Cheers where Maggie would have a love-hate relationship with the John Getz character, Geoff Bennett (à la Sam and Diane).

Small clip from Vimeo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11April 30, 2024 9:08 PM

R10, go get laid. It’s called a typo

by Anonymousreply 12April 30, 2024 9:09 PM

I got to see her in a play with Richard Mulligan. It closed on opening night but I loved seeing her in person. The play stunk though.

by Anonymousreply 13April 30, 2024 9:17 PM

I love her.

by Anonymousreply 14April 30, 2024 9:24 PM

She absolutely loathed I mean loathed Patty Duke. She replaced Anne Bancroft in The Miracle Worker on Broadway. Other than that she doesn't have anything negative to say about anyone else in her professional career. A lovely woman. But just get her started on Duke and you unleash such anger and resentment.

by Anonymousreply 15April 30, 2024 9:48 PM

Of course that last sentence should have been in the past tense so like everything else it ultimately is unimportant.

by Anonymousreply 16April 30, 2024 9:53 PM

Spirited Away is one of the great movies of all time.

The English dub cast include Daveigh Chase, James Marsden, Susan Egan, David Ogden Stiers, Michael Chiklis, Lauren Holly, Tara Strong, John Ratzenberger, and our topic, Suzanne Pleshette.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17April 30, 2024 10:15 PM

Patty admitted in her memoir that she gave Suzanne a really hard time during The Miracle Worker mostly because she had grown so attached to Bancroft who SP replaced. Considering her age at the time and her fucked up life I wouldn't hold anything against Patty.

by Anonymousreply 18April 30, 2024 10:27 PM

Emily was smarter than Bob.

by Anonymousreply 19April 30, 2024 10:30 PM

Right, r1. I just watched Spirited Away and spent the entire time thinking that I was listening to Lauren Bacall (she's in Howl's Moving Castle). Pleshette had a very rough voice. She sounded at least 90 years old in Spirited Away.

by Anonymousreply 20May 1, 2024 5:56 AM

R20 Yes, is Howl's Moving Castle good?

by Anonymousreply 21May 1, 2024 1:46 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!