Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

You're Too Ugly To Be Gay- Said Someone To Jakub Arturio Bradea

Then he tried to kill himself- how sad šŸ˜„

I wish I could have given him a hug- and a pep talk.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72April 17, 2024 2:43 AM

Wow. And dang.

Gay men wanting to be physically perfect and seeking impossible perfection isn't new, but has social media made it worse?

Also, the irony is that so many men don't want that. As a wise eldergay once said to me: "There's a lid for every pot."

by Anonymousreply 1April 16, 2024 6:02 PM

This is what degrading someone does. One has so much power and still they have not learned to control it.

by Anonymousreply 2April 16, 2024 6:06 PM

[quote]Several said pressure from social media platforms and dating apps was exacerbating their body issues.

While it is true that gay men have been obsessed with perfect bodies and beauty for longer than other groups, it's also true that in the age of social media lots of people are suffering from self-image issues due to the fictitious world promoted by both influencers and celebrities. This is why rates of depression among young people are so high, and children as young as 12 and 13 are resorting to taking steroids and developing eating disorders in order to "fit in". Thus, this isn't a phenomenon that exclusively affects the gay community.

Still, it is true that as a community we're incredibly unforgiving of anyone who is different and cannot buy acceptance through wealth. I think that it would be positive if we remembered that as a collective, we're as different from each other as any other group, and what defines us is a lot more than mere physical attractiveness and finding validation through constant hookups.

by Anonymousreply 3April 16, 2024 6:09 PM

Vapidation: the feelings that you are sufficiently deficient resulting from spending too much time on social media.

by Anonymousreply 4April 16, 2024 6:19 PM

I've never really been attracted to muscular guy nor bears.

I like slim guys with natural bodies ( no tattoos, no piercings, no rings, no shaved pubic hair)

I guess that makes me somewhat of an outlier.

by Anonymousreply 5April 16, 2024 6:42 PM

Looks like he needs a DoxyPEP talk.

by Anonymousreply 6April 16, 2024 6:50 PM

Gay men are the victim of their own shallowness.

In the heterosexual world itā€™s women who mostly suffer from depression due to not meeting a looks threshold. Straight men can compensate for a lack of looks but gay men desire looks as much as they are desired for their looks. It perpetuates a vicious cycle where ugly men strive for perfection because they themselves would never lower their standards and fuck someone as ugly as themselves.

by Anonymousreply 7April 16, 2024 6:59 PM

R7- That Jakub guy talks about guys with spectacular bodies- I'm not attracted to SPECTACULAR bodies which I assume means someone with a HUGE build plus tattoos. That combo to me is what constitutes UGLY.

by Anonymousreply 8April 16, 2024 7:04 PM

R8 I donā€™t disagree. My point is if this guy had tried to date men that were on his level (prior to his steroid use) and if gay men did that as a general rule, then all this body dysmorphia would decrease.

He was striving to be ā€œgood lookingā€ because he wanted to attract good looking men, despite his own ugliness.

by Anonymousreply 9April 16, 2024 7:10 PM

R9- I don't know if I would call him ugly but certainly average looking.

Yes, it's possible he's trying to date guys out of his league. I bet in the 1970's gay men did not have these type of issues- I mean wanting to have the right kind of body because in those days everyone was slim with natural bodies ( muscular guys were a rarity )- I should take a time machine back to 1977.

by Anonymousreply 10April 16, 2024 7:17 PM

Ugly, average, doesnā€™t matter. All gay men (and straight men, for that matter) are competing for the same top 20% of partners. But if you arenā€™t in the top 20% yourself itā€™s going to be a rough ride unless youā€™re willing to go to extremes to make yourself more attractive.

I just cannot muster sympathy for men who wonā€™t date their level. If he was willing to do that then he wouldnā€™t need steroids to attract a guy.

by Anonymousreply 11April 16, 2024 7:23 PM

At almost 53, Iā€™m just too old to care anymore what anyone thinks of me. Youth and beauty fade.

by Anonymousreply 12April 16, 2024 7:23 PM

I thought this was only a problem for single straight women over 35. How depressing.

by Anonymousreply 13April 16, 2024 7:27 PM

Thatā€™s the Beebā€¦always 20 years late with the real story.

Oy veyā€”the journalism here was more stereotypical than the tropes it sought to expose.

by Anonymousreply 14April 16, 2024 7:27 PM

R12- ,Jakub is probably in his 50's and obviously he still cares.

R11- Even if he was very depressed because he was constantly rejected by the hot guys ( yes he should have just dated average guys like himself) I still feel sorry for him that he was so devastated that he resorted to trying to kill himself.

by Anonymousreply 15April 16, 2024 7:28 PM

Whatā€™s that big knob behind his left ear?!

by Anonymousreply 16April 16, 2024 7:29 PM

R12 Same age range, same vibe. I have no fucks to give any more.

I tried to be part of the mainstream gay scene in my 20s and was miserable.

I guess you could say I was sort of on the outer edges of the "bear" community in my 30s, but even that was just weird a lot of the time. I swear 95 percent of my hookups or dating interactions were all about what they had in their heads about me, or what they wanted me to be....versus, hey, talk to me for a few minutes and get a sense of who I am. Most of the guys had some sort of fetish or particular sexual thing they wanted to fulfill, and none of that ever had anything to do with me, the actual person in the room with them.

I met a guy online, shared photos, was super upfront about who I was and he wanted to meet - then he grumbled that I wasn't muscular or mega butch. I'm not, but I never said I was, you know? It was just weird. After that I didn't take any of it as seriously as I had when I was younger and relaxed about it.

by Anonymousreply 17April 16, 2024 7:32 PM

I have to laugh at Lewis, the Instagram model, bemoaning like how he is not like valued for his like personality.

by Anonymousreply 18April 16, 2024 7:43 PM

While one aesthetic is most definitely promoted as the ideal ( or even the norm, if ur gay) all I see is gays have so many different types. I'm 6ft 2, toned and while 100% of females seem to remark about my looks; even str8 guys pass comments like Youre a goodlookong fella arent ya....(the height helps) I get turned down a lot by gays. Guys have often said I'm intimidating, or they assume I won't be a nice guy; and as someone who wasn't cute growing up, I don't have that confidence..so I generally am awkward about approaching guys, and if I do, I can actually feel myself boring them senseless. Loads of gays don't want a handsome guy, preferring a sexy guy or a hot guy. I'd love to spread thr fact that even with great pics online that show a 6pack, I get as many guys rejecting me as anyone else. They just want something different than me. Maybe it's my shyness that stops them wanting to jump my bones. Also, I'm not female but I'm not butch...just a nice guy. Also, I've a friend who's not considered v attractive but he rates himself as a 9. he said, he's a good person, fun, is successful and good looking enough..he thinks of the whole package.

by Anonymousreply 19April 16, 2024 7:48 PM

We need to be kind to each other...

by Anonymousreply 20April 16, 2024 7:50 PM

R19- Are you bold enough to share a photo of yourself?

by Anonymousreply 21April 16, 2024 7:56 PM

Gay men are the most toxic to each other. But no one in the community likes to talk about it though. ā˜•ļø

by Anonymousreply 22April 16, 2024 7:56 PM

Suicide is #1 for gun deaths in the U.S.- not murder.

by Anonymousreply 23April 16, 2024 7:59 PM

Itā€™s not worth it. Risking your life for people who usually donā€™t give shit about and see your existence as transactional.

by Anonymousreply 24April 16, 2024 8:00 PM

A rose will bloom

It then will fade

So does a youth

So does the fairest maid

by Anonymousreply 25April 16, 2024 8:01 PM

This sounds familiar, because it's an old article.

Here is the first time around from Jan 2020

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26April 16, 2024 8:03 PM

R25- Are the QWEEN in the tights singing that tune in Romeo and Juliet (1968) - which happens to be the GAYEST and the BEST version of Romeo and Juliet on the screen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27April 16, 2024 8:05 PM

This hurts my heart and I am bothered by it. We can be vicious just like teen girls. We all have had some challenges so we should lift up each other.

I get that you may not be attracted to someone but the way you handle it is key. When craigslist was a thing, if I didn't find the guy my type, I would respond. you are handsome but I am looking for something different - I never wanted to hurt anyone as they have feelings too.

by Anonymousreply 28April 16, 2024 8:20 PM

Sometimes it seems the healthiest thing to do is to stay away. Too many fake bitches.

by Anonymousreply 29April 16, 2024 8:25 PM

This is only a problem for people who need to have several sexual partners a week.

by Anonymousreply 30April 16, 2024 8:40 PM

R30- Several HOT sexual partners a week.

by Anonymousreply 31April 16, 2024 8:41 PM

ā€œHotā€ on the outside, festering on the inside.

by Anonymousreply 32April 16, 2024 8:46 PM

The insult I remember from a guy Iā€™d messaged on an app was ā€˜I like the body but thereā€™s something about the face I donā€™t likeā€™.

ā€˜The faceā€™. Not ā€˜your faceā€™. Not even a ā€˜no thanksā€™

by Anonymousreply 33April 16, 2024 8:58 PM

R26 Information Illiteracy + OCD + Senility = Datalounge

by Anonymousreply 34April 16, 2024 9:07 PM

R13 Lewis sounds like a tween from no Calabasasā€”he better work out if he wants to see a single dick, in the next 20 yearsā€¦

by Anonymousreply 35April 16, 2024 9:20 PM

For R18^

by Anonymousreply 36April 16, 2024 9:21 PM

Beauty fades, dumb is forever!

by Anonymousreply 37April 16, 2024 9:22 PM

R19 your problem is that youā€™re boringā€¦go on like that at a party and then wonder why the only loads you see are your own.

by Anonymousreply 38April 16, 2024 9:23 PM

Many "9"s and "10"s are born that way. I am one, now in my 60s so invisible and anyway off the market. The secret is we don't have to "do" much or anything to be almost universally seen as attractive.

Many of us do not hesitate to fuck, date, partner with average looking guys, well, because most guys are more average looking.

The problem in the meat market, are the mean girls, all the strivers. The 5, 6, and 7s who try their damnedest, best little boys in the world, to be 8s. Add the small percentage of 8's who are deluded they can magically transform into 9s or 10s. It's all illusory anyway, and temporary, and there is a lot of mental illness and wasted time and effort.

This schmuck didn't have the psychological insight and maturity to get off the physical appearance merry go round and spend his time on people and relationships that are possible with those who are more well balanced and say yes - usually in response to a bit of charm, positive attitude, and kindness.

by Anonymousreply 39April 16, 2024 9:26 PM

R33 you got upset that someone on a sex app treated you like a product or a piece of meat. That makes me chuckle.

by Anonymousreply 40April 16, 2024 9:28 PM

You go to the barbershop šŸ’ˆ, youā€™re going to get a haircut. Donā€™t like the superficial dynamics and personality disorders of the geigh ghetto? Then donā€™t live there, visit there, or live your life with their stated values. Be true to yourselves, kaweens, create your own friendship circles, only visit clubs and bars that promote healthier lifestyles. Thereā€™s no monolithic LGBT community, but many, diverse, smaller communities. Donā€™t accept destructive bullshit, build your own community. Itā€™s a big world, donā€™t limit yourselves.

by Anonymousreply 41April 16, 2024 9:37 PM

Jakub reminds me of Ted Schmidt from Queer As Folk who was so desperate to be desired by that young cute Blake at the club that he overdoses on drugs by mistake and almost dies.

by Anonymousreply 42April 16, 2024 9:39 PM

R41- I never felt the need to conform to the prevailing gay aesthetic- even in my bar going heyday of 1995 and I was generally only attracted to guys that dressed and seemed like individuals- no tank tops in summer or flip flops. I referred to my types as civilians.

by Anonymousreply 43April 16, 2024 9:41 PM

Good for you. Tank tops in summer!!??? Quelle horreur! I'm sure they all had !AIDS! festering under their shiny harlot appearance!

by Anonymousreply 44April 16, 2024 9:46 PM

R15/OP - the fact that heā€™s in his 50s and obviously still cares isā€¦ obvious. Particularly the part about trying to end his life. That shows he has a LOT of issues to work through. Iā€™ve been someoneā€™s 8, and Iā€™ve been someoneā€™s 4. A lot of it was based in my own expectations. Weā€™ve all been there. But if youā€™re lonely in your 50s, itā€™s past time to figure out why. Sometimes you are the problem. For his sake, I hope he figures it out.

by Anonymousreply 45April 16, 2024 10:20 PM

Iā€™ve gone on dating apps with little success and Iā€™m handsome! Iā€™m also 68 and thatā€™s a turnoff for many. I guess if I were chatting with guys half my age that might explain it but Iā€™m not. I text with guys who are my age or ten years younger with a similar level of attractiveness and they donā€™t respond. Itā€™s puzzling.

by Anonymousreply 46April 16, 2024 10:26 PM

Oh honey, 68 and puzzled nobody engages you on dating apps?

by Anonymousreply 47April 16, 2024 10:30 PM

68 on Grindr & Scruffā€¦? Thatā€™d plain crazy .

by Anonymousreply 48April 16, 2024 10:37 PM

Society in general has gotten a lot meaner. If you have a good circle of friends and family, turn off social media and get your validation elsewhere.

by Anonymousreply 49April 16, 2024 10:41 PM

R48 One time I saw a 79 year old on Scruff

by Anonymousreply 50April 16, 2024 11:14 PM

Shudder to think!

by Anonymousreply 51April 16, 2024 11:18 PM

R46 they donā€™t want to fuck a guy their age or ten years older. They want to fuck a younger guy.

Most men are striving for the top 20% of partners. This is regardless of sexual orientation, race, age, class, culture etc.

by Anonymousreply 52April 16, 2024 11:19 PM

No such thing. There are so many guys that could never be categorized as pretty or handsome. Same with straight guys. Looks are only part of your overall appeal and personality.

by Anonymousreply 53April 16, 2024 11:34 PM

Different is nice...

by Anonymousreply 54April 16, 2024 11:38 PM

R53 but looks and youth are a threshold that most men are not willing to compromise on. If you donā€™t meet the bare minimum on that, other qualities donā€™t mean anything.

by Anonymousreply 55April 16, 2024 11:46 PM

Most men on dating apps perhaps. But most men in general? I see lots of average guy couples.

by Anonymousreply 56April 16, 2024 11:55 PM

Activist Greg never fitted in when he was a kid - because he loves to wear yellow shoes.

by Anonymousreply 57April 16, 2024 11:58 PM

You too fat to fish!

by Anonymousreply 58April 17, 2024 12:17 AM

The genius reporter learns that gay men looking good was even a thing on gay magazine covers going back decades.

by Anonymousreply 59April 17, 2024 12:21 AM

R54- That sounds like a line from

A Chorus Line

by Anonymousreply 60April 17, 2024 12:41 AM

R55- I agree. Most guys to meet standards of attractiveness must have pretty looks or be HOT/Masculine type. If they're the latter they must be a TOP. The pretty men are still desirable as bottoms. The Hot/Masculine/Tops must also be well hung.

Kermit the Frog said it's not easy been green but it's not easy being a HOMO either.

by Anonymousreply 61April 17, 2024 12:46 AM

Poor, poor pitiful you.

Living your life in comparison to a felt sock puppet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62April 17, 2024 12:50 AM

It's kind of weird to have gone in the other direction. In my former life as Big Fat Fatty (320lbs at my heaviest), I was still pretty active, but more with chasers and people willing to overlook the rest of me because of my dick. I'm down to somewhere near half of that, while I still have stretched skin even after plastic surgery, I have visible abs. And I just turned 46.

A few months back, I hooked up with a younger (mid 20s) guy, kind of a cub, but cute. He was awkward at first, and when I asked him if he was okay, he told me "Guys who look like you don't usually go for guys who look like me." That's usually my line. And on my cruise last month, at one of the parties I started making out with a guy I was dancing with, and he told me "You're so hot, I wanted to hook up with you when I first saw your picture."

It's still hard to get my head around.

by Anonymousreply 63April 17, 2024 1:30 AM

That quote, again?

by Anonymousreply 64April 17, 2024 1:32 AM

[quote]I like slim guys with natural bodies ( no tattoos, no piercings, no rings, no shaved pubic hair)

r5 Shaved pubic hair is pedophilic and vainly obsessive.

by Anonymousreply 65April 17, 2024 1:39 AM

Do you think James Brumpton got his arm tatts before or after his tummy tuck?

by Anonymousreply 66April 17, 2024 1:49 AM

[quote]Iā€™ve gone on dating apps with little success and Iā€™m handsome! Iā€™m also 68 and thatā€™s a turnoff for many.

Why not just lie and knock ten years off your age? Everybody else is lying about something on those apps too.

by Anonymousreply 67April 17, 2024 1:53 AM

[quote] Shaved pubic hair is pedophilic

I've never understood this sentiment.

I prefer a bush on a guy too but when I see someone with a shaved pubic area I don't think he looks 12.

by Anonymousreply 68April 17, 2024 2:04 AM

You should

by Anonymousreply 69April 17, 2024 2:14 AM

R68- I just think he's a fashion victim as are people who cover themselves in tattoos.

by Anonymousreply 70April 17, 2024 2:15 AM

R63- Good for you.

by Anonymousreply 71April 17, 2024 2:21 AM

R67, I took your suggestion & knocked not 10, but 11, years off my actual age. Then I get a response from some interested guy many states away telling me how young I looked for my age. I shouldā€™ve knocked 15-20 off my real age.

by Anonymousreply 72April 17, 2024 2:43 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!