Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Courtney Love sounds off on Taylor, Madonna, and Beyonce!!!

Taylor: "Taylor is not important,” Love said of the 14-time Grammy winner. “She might be a safe space for girls, and she’s probably the Madonna of now, but she’s not interesting as an artist.”

Lana: "I haven’t liked Lana since she covered a John Denver song,” she said of the “Young & Beautiful” singer. “Up until ‘Take Me Home Country Roads’ I thought she was great.”

Beyonce: "I mean, I like the idea of Beyoncé doing a country record because it’s about Black women going into spaces where previously only white women have been allowed, not that I like it much,” she said. “As a concept, I love it. I just don’t like her music.”

Madonna: "I don't like her and she doesn't like me."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 214April 24, 2024 12:18 PM

So I guess Madge and Courtney never buried the hatchet

by Anonymousreply 1April 16, 2024 1:47 AM

Lana and Courtney were friends, and toured together. Translation: Lana has cut me off and ghosted me.

by Anonymousreply 2April 16, 2024 1:51 AM

Bwahaha I'm actually happy she's one of the few that speaks her mind

by Anonymousreply 3April 16, 2024 1:51 AM

Same r3. She doesn't give a fuck and it's refreshing.

by Anonymousreply 4April 16, 2024 1:53 AM

Nothing she says is incorrect. Nothing.

by Anonymousreply 5April 16, 2024 2:01 AM

I love this loopy bitch.

by Anonymousreply 6April 16, 2024 2:02 AM

No lies detected.

by Anonymousreply 7April 16, 2024 2:08 AM

I could see Madonna secretly liking Courtney Love.

by Anonymousreply 8April 16, 2024 2:13 AM

Courtney Love: Irrelevant artist who needed another person to craft her music and style (see Kurt Cobain, Billy Corrigan).

by Anonymousreply 9April 16, 2024 2:15 AM

Murderess!

by Anonymousreply 10April 16, 2024 2:15 AM

All those women she criticizes had multiple #1 hits.

Guess who never had one herself?

by Anonymousreply 11April 16, 2024 2:18 AM

Courtney is accurate and true to herself but there is something to be said for being grown up and not saying too much of anything about people in your industry. This has a mean girl teen vibe.

by Anonymousreply 12April 16, 2024 2:24 AM

There's something to be said for hypocrisy.

by Anonymousreply 13April 16, 2024 2:29 AM

They do suck, as does she.

by Anonymousreply 14April 16, 2024 2:31 AM

Aretha knew how to shade without spelling it out. "Gowns, beautiful gowns."

by Anonymousreply 15April 16, 2024 2:32 AM

She's a crazy drug addled bitch but she's right.

by Anonymousreply 16April 16, 2024 2:35 AM

She a jealous cunt. She hates everyone, then loves them, then hates them. It depends on the drug she is currently on.

She didn’t say anything bad about Madonna only that they don’t like each other which I think is incorrect. Courtney very much is enamored with Madonna, and Madonna is fascinated by Courtney.

The Lana diss is baffling.

by Anonymousreply 17April 16, 2024 2:36 AM

[quote]I love this loopy bitch.

Ditto, R6.

For anyone who has never seen Courtney and Madonna at the 1995 VMAs:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18April 16, 2024 2:37 AM

Lana Del Rey is also a talentless cunt who got into the music business because of Daddy's money.

by Anonymousreply 19April 16, 2024 2:37 AM

They ain’t that wonderful, for sure, but she ain’t nothing. She left that out.

by Anonymousreply 20April 16, 2024 2:39 AM

I just love it when a celebrity talks shit about other celebrities. Carrie Fisher used to do this when she was sufficiently fucked up enough.

by Anonymousreply 21April 16, 2024 2:39 AM

That was actually a respectful and circumspect response to the Madonna question.

Given their history, and given the sad state of affairs currently on display with Madonna, she could have really gone for the jugular.

The fact that she did not do that makes me think more highly of Courtney.

When I went to school in Olympia Everyone’s the same AND SO ARE YOU In Olympia

by Anonymousreply 22April 16, 2024 2:41 AM

[quote] Guess who never had one herself?

She does have one thing that none of the rest have. An album that is absolutely perfect, from front to back, with absolutely no album tracks. Every song is a masterpiece.

by Anonymousreply 23April 16, 2024 2:43 AM

I actually like Lana (her music at least) but agree with her on everything else. I prefer Courtney as a lyricist to Taylor.

by Anonymousreply 24April 16, 2024 2:43 AM

I love her.

by Anonymousreply 25April 16, 2024 2:44 AM

Dionne has more class and she knows music better than Courtney.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26April 16, 2024 2:46 AM

Do #1s matter that much in rock music anyway? Outside of the Beatles many of the most recognizable rock songs (Stairway to Heaven, Bohemian Rhapsody, Smells Like Teen Spirit, etc) didn't go number 1 on the charts.

Many respected artists like Jimi Hendrix, Velvet Underground never had number 1s either. The obsession with charts is more relevant to pop music.

by Anonymousreply 27April 16, 2024 2:46 AM

She's so irrelevant that you felt the need to comment on her musical taste, r9? Why do you care if she doesn't love Taylor Swift?

by Anonymousreply 28April 16, 2024 2:47 AM

Courtney a great lyricist? You mean Kurt was. He wrote her shit.

She’s a messy cunt. You guys go nuclear on some celebrities who talk shit and call them cunts and sociopaths, yet Courtney does it and you love it? Bipolar much?

by Anonymousreply 29April 16, 2024 3:10 AM

I love that she called out Taylor Swift and her Disco Minnie Mouse appeal to young girls.

by Anonymousreply 30April 16, 2024 3:15 AM

She’s really very funny, and this Lana comment is a perfect example. Completely random reason to stop liking someone. When did John fucking Denver become untouchable? Lmao

by Anonymousreply 31April 16, 2024 3:23 AM

Hmm, I wonder what happened between Courtney and Lana del Rey in the last year and a half . At the end of 2022, she called Lana a genius in her interview with Marc Maron. Was it really the John Denver cover or was it Lana's collab with Taylor Swift?

by Anonymousreply 32April 16, 2024 3:29 AM

Once again, she's right about everything.

by Anonymousreply 33April 16, 2024 3:48 AM

Is pop music ready for this SHOTGUN BLAST of judgment?

by Anonymousreply 34April 16, 2024 4:01 AM

God, you lot are so predictable. A bitch with a drug habit, and you're anybody's.

by Anonymousreply 35April 16, 2024 4:10 AM

I don’t disagree with most of what she said. Maybe she should give Lana a break.

by Anonymousreply 36April 16, 2024 4:17 AM

R23, released 30 years ago, nearly to the day (12/04/94).

by Anonymousreply 37April 16, 2024 4:20 AM

Did anyone actually ask her these questions or was she wandering around aimlessly talking to herself?

by Anonymousreply 38April 16, 2024 4:22 AM

She's always been insane, but generally? She's always always been correct.

by Anonymousreply 39April 16, 2024 4:32 AM

*almost

by Anonymousreply 40April 16, 2024 4:32 AM

What makes her commentary so effective is that not only does she have fairly impressive taste, she’s also very matter-of-fact about these observations. Nothing seems personal. It’s just about the work.

Even detailing the mutual issues with Madonna comes across as stating the obvious rather than lighting a feud fuse.

Once she stopped pretending so hard to be a badass bitch, she actually became one. Brava 👏.

by Anonymousreply 41April 16, 2024 4:39 AM

[quote]She's always always been correct.

Yes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42April 16, 2024 4:43 AM

She's spot on.

by Anonymousreply 43April 16, 2024 5:01 AM

Again, I couldn't agree with her more.

by Anonymousreply 44April 16, 2024 5:11 AM

R32 I think she's being facetious. I interpreted the comment as a joke, like, "Ew, you covered John Denver! We can't be friends now! I don't like her anymore", but not truly.

by Anonymousreply 45April 16, 2024 5:14 AM

R24 anyone who thinks Taylor Swift's lyrics are remotely on par with Courtney's is a dolt. Courtney may not be a proficient guitarist, but her lyrics have weight to them and are intelligent. Taylor's lyrics are completely manufactured for the dumbest of dumb teen girls/infantilized millennials who are obsessed with the artificial mythology of broken hearts she's left in her wake.

by Anonymousreply 46April 16, 2024 5:18 AM

[quote]"Taylor is not important,” Love said of the 14-time Grammy winner. “She might be a safe space for girls, and she’s probably the Madonna of now, but she’s not interesting as an artist.”

Courtney is irrelevant, but she's right on the mark with this comment about Swift.

by Anonymousreply 47April 16, 2024 5:35 AM

Yeah I have to agree about Taylor. I think she’s a decent lyricist if mundane, but what is really remarkable about her is her ambition and toughness which is what was remarkable about Madonna as well.

by Anonymousreply 48April 16, 2024 8:57 AM

Damn all you idiots on Courtney’s dick hard just because she dragged Taylor and Beyonce. So boring. Had she dragged Lady Gaga (she didn’t care enough to comment on that no-talent) you all wouldn’t say “SHE’S CORRECT ABOUT EVERYTHING. SHE’S A GENIUS!!!!!” JFC

She isn’t a great lyricist. Kurt wrote ALL her good material. She did NOTHING like that since. That proves she didn’t write shit. Kurt did. Or Dave Grohl did. She’s a drug addled hack. Can’t sing either.

She said nothing negative about Madonna. It’s funny, on Twitter people posted receipts of her over the years at Madonna’s side, praising her, looking like she was in love in her presence. Madonna, likewise, has said complimentary things about Courtney and seemed very into her. I think they fucked Courtney’s drug issues got in the way.

by Anonymousreply 49April 16, 2024 10:57 AM

Hole speaks her mind!

by Anonymousreply 50April 16, 2024 11:44 AM

yes Taylor swift's music is boring

by Anonymousreply 51April 16, 2024 12:15 PM

And redundant R51. Get a new subject, chord progression, and sound already.

by Anonymousreply 52April 16, 2024 12:17 PM

I'm with Courtney.

by Anonymousreply 53April 16, 2024 12:35 PM

Interesting comments on the NYPost article.....let's just say, not the comments I expected to see on an NYPost article.....

by Anonymousreply 54April 16, 2024 12:38 PM

Kurt didn't write her lyrics. Courtney has a very distinct writing style that can be seen throughout all Hole albums including the early demos, her solo albums, and even the throwaway singles she put out a couple years ago. Corgan has said he straight up has seen her write lyrics himself. The songs on Live Through This are clearly written from a woman's point of view.

The whole "Kurt wrote her material" thing is one the dumbest theories out there.

by Anonymousreply 55April 16, 2024 12:40 PM

Courtney is NOT “always always” correct.

She’s right about things a very small percentage of the time, in the broken-clock-is-right-twice-a-day sense.

She just blah blah blah’s all day long, and often makes up wild shit just for attention. She’s clearly way on the spectrum, and sometimes high!

Occasionally she’ll land a truth bomb, like the Weinstein thing.

She’s honestly not far off from someone like Rosanne Barr.

by Anonymousreply 56April 16, 2024 12:47 PM

I have to agree with her about Taylor and Beyonce, although I do like some of Beyonce's songs.

by Anonymousreply 57April 16, 2024 12:59 PM

Courtney Love is still alive?

by Anonymousreply 58April 16, 2024 1:22 PM

Violet, Miss World and Doll Parts are better than anything Taylor Swift has ever done. Live Through This also has one of the best album covers ever.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59April 16, 2024 1:23 PM

R54 Summarize for us, please.

by Anonymousreply 60April 16, 2024 1:33 PM

Shit, even the slightly overproduced Celebrity Skin is better than the utterly manufactured shiite TS shits out on a regular basis.

by Anonymousreply 61April 16, 2024 1:45 PM

“Courtney wouldn’t have had to had all that awful surgery if she had just laid off all those drugs.”

by Anonymousreply 62April 16, 2024 1:49 PM

One of the few complimentary things Kim Gordon has said about Courtney is that she’s a great lyricist (and a great performer). Kim produced Hole’s first album.

by Anonymousreply 63April 16, 2024 2:02 PM

I disagree on Taylor being this generation's Madonna. Taylor is very safe and America's sweetheart. Madonna was popular by being the complete opposite.

by Anonymousreply 64April 16, 2024 2:23 PM

Never cared much for Taylor Swift, but I do like her politics.

by Anonymousreply 65April 16, 2024 2:32 PM

You know, everyone thought Ray Charles was nuts when he released a country music album.

by Anonymousreply 66April 16, 2024 2:33 PM

Taylor is more like a combination of Olivia Newton John, Sheena Easton and a pinch of Linda Ronstadt.

by Anonymousreply 67April 16, 2024 2:42 PM

Anyone else check out the BBC series that Courtney is promoting in this interview? It's eight episodes of Courtney talking about music by women she's loved throughout her life, and playing songs, and putting it in context with her own biography. She knows a lot about music and is actually erudite, in her way. The Carrie Fisher comparison is apt, and apparently they were friends. She's also, of course, had a fascinating life from the beginning. I listened to the first episode last night; very enjoyable.

The article also teases both a memoir and a solo album from Courtney coming this year. We may have a real Summer of Love on tap. Also, the Taylor, Beyonce, Madonna and Lana sort-of-disses suggests Courtney has not lost her talent for self-promotion.

by Anonymousreply 68April 16, 2024 3:07 PM

[quote]I disagree on Taylor being this generation's Madonna. Taylor is very safe and America's sweetheart. Madonna was popular by being the complete opposite.

Madonna was a cultural phenomenon and had a kind of fame and relevance that doesn't exist anymore. And yes, she was extremely controversial and pissed off all the right people.

by Anonymousreply 69April 16, 2024 4:32 PM

R29 Kurt wrote Courtney’s lyrics? How? Her lyrical style predates him and there’s proof all over YouTube she’s a great songwriter. Kurt was simple, Courtney tried to copy that in their relationship but he had nothing to do with Pagan Babies or Pretty on the Inside, which happened before Kurt. Not to mention what she wrote after he was dead.

by Anonymousreply 70April 16, 2024 4:37 PM

R49 Her best known material would be “Doll Parts”, which she wrote before Kurt and “Celebrity Skin”, which she wrote after Kurt.

You have no stance on this just cause you don’t understand the timelines. Some of her best songwriting is on Celebrity Skin and Kurt was dead. Billy Corgan couldn’t write that stuff. L

Courtney was poor but she was cultured and her love of poetry and Brits and new wave / New Romantics love (which Kurt hated) comes out in her lyrics.

by Anonymousreply 71April 16, 2024 4:41 PM

Celebrity Skin does have a bit of Corgan's sound on a few tracks, but you can definitely hear Courtney's voice and writing on the title song, Reasons to be Beautiful (co written w Go Go Charlotte Caffey) and others.

by Anonymousreply 72April 16, 2024 5:04 PM

I don’t know what point shes trying to make with Lana (not that I’m a Lana fan), and her Madonna comment is neutral, but everything else I agree with. She is definitely an attention seeker and I do think she’s shady as hell. But her observations are astute.

by Anonymousreply 73April 16, 2024 5:04 PM

R11 Since when does punk rock or hard rock music produces number one hits? Not to compare her to Led Zeppelin or The Ramones, but according to your way of thinking, Beyonce, Madonna and Taylor Swift are better musicians than they were, cause they had more hits in the charts.

by Anonymousreply 74April 16, 2024 5:18 PM

R49 Why would Dave Grohl write her songs? They weren't even good friends when Kurt was still alive. Plus, if Grohl was a good song writer, Foo Fighters wouldn't suck so much.

by Anonymousreply 75April 16, 2024 5:20 PM

R70 How was Cobain's lyricism simple? It's quite the opposite.

by Anonymousreply 76April 16, 2024 5:21 PM

R40, I am the world's biggest Nirvana fan and do think Kurt helped with some guitar parts (though Erik actually wrote most of Hole's music), but I don't think Kurt helped Love with lyrics.

Hole lyrics are totally different in tone, meter and bite than Nirvana's.

by Anonymousreply 77April 16, 2024 5:28 PM

R74 This is what millennials/Gen Zers do with musicians. They never say "I love their music" or "it hit my soul" or "it makes me dance" or "it gave me goosebumps."

No, their little stan arguments are, "Well, Gaga had X number of number ones and Bey has Y number and Tay has Z number" and that's who they decide to like/stan.

It's lunacy.

by Anonymousreply 78April 16, 2024 5:29 PM

Oops! My post at R77 was for R49...

by Anonymousreply 79April 16, 2024 5:29 PM

That's so true r78.

by Anonymousreply 80April 16, 2024 6:39 PM

One has-been calling another has-been a has-been.

Such understated eloquence.

by Anonymousreply 81April 16, 2024 6:50 PM

She and Lana were friends. What happened?

by Anonymousreply 82April 16, 2024 7:10 PM

I dislike Ms. Love, though I’ve never heard her music, just read interviews. She seems like a mess. And she punched Kathleen Hanna in the face, which is beyond the pale.

by Anonymousreply 83April 16, 2024 8:05 PM

[quote]She and Lana were friends. What happened?

I don’t see how a Gen Xer can be legitimate friends with a Millennial.

by Anonymousreply 84April 16, 2024 8:09 PM

Fun fact: On Six Feet Under, Joanna Cassidy's batshit insane psychotherapist character Margaret Chenowith, mother of the equally fucked up Brenda and Billy Chenowith, was based on Courtney Love's mother Linda Carroll who was a batshit insane psychotherapist who heavily participated in the whole 60s counterculture scene.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85April 16, 2024 8:15 PM

I know I shouldn't love Courtney Love for for some reason I always have, as psycho and fucked up as she is.

by Anonymousreply 86April 16, 2024 8:17 PM

R83 her clocking the pretentious Mrs. Beastie Boy K. Horowitz is one of the few greatest things she’s ever done

by Anonymousreply 87April 16, 2024 8:18 PM

^^ weird person

by Anonymousreply 88April 16, 2024 8:22 PM

R84 Huh? Millennials worship Gen X'ers. Always have. Gen X'ers gave them both punk/goth and skater/slacker culture, big tech careers, performative environmentalism, Fight Club, and pretending to like Dinosaur Jr.

It's the Zoomers that hate every previous generation.

by Anonymousreply 89April 16, 2024 8:40 PM

Taylor Swift is boring as fuck and so is taste of most of her fans.

by Anonymousreply 90April 16, 2024 8:57 PM

[quote]Madonna was a cultural phenomenon and had a kind of fame and relevance that doesn't exist anymore.

I far prefer Madonna over Taylor, but she did not have more relevance than her. Taylor has exceeded Madonna according to every metric. Taylor's current relevance is at least equal to Madonna's peak.

Madonna has 12 number one songs on the Billboard Hot 100, but she's about to be passed by both Taylor and Ariana soon.

by Anonymousreply 91April 16, 2024 9:15 PM

I liked Doll Parts.

by Anonymousreply 92April 16, 2024 9:26 PM

R91 In America, maybe. Worldwide? Never. Madonna’s relevance and influence is still felt today, so IDK how Taylor has exceeded her on “every metric”. BTW, with how fucked up the charts are, Harry Styles, or someone like him, will exceed MJ by every metric eventually. Streaming isn’t in any way comparable to actually going out and buying music, often pretty expensive music.

Taylor’s popularity is wide and shallow. She doesn’t offend, like Madonna, yet Madonna was gargantuan in touring, hits, sales.

Not sure what happened with Courtney and Madonna & Courtney and Lana. They seemed to get along quite well for awhile, but I do think Courtney is on the spectrum and can’t take certain social cues.

by Anonymousreply 93April 16, 2024 9:36 PM

Swift’s ass is as skimpy as her chord changes.

by Anonymousreply 94April 16, 2024 9:43 PM

Happier times?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95April 16, 2024 11:43 PM

R49. Courtney cannot drag Lady Gaga, who has loads of talent.

by Anonymousreply 96April 16, 2024 11:54 PM

[quote]And she punched Kathleen Hanna in the face, which is beyond the pale.

Who tf cares about Kathleen Hanna? She isn't even interesting enough to talk about in a thread specifically about her.

From said thread, linked below:

[quote]Courtney Love has taken over a thread about Kathleen Hanna which answers the OP's original question, absolutely no one thinks anything about her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97April 16, 2024 11:55 PM

Wasn’t Madonna going to sign Courtney to Maverick Reocrds? Then something happened, and the deal fell through, and Madonna signed Alanis Morissette instead.

I wonder why Courtney hasn’t commented on Alanis?

by Anonymousreply 98April 17, 2024 12:12 AM

[quote]Wasn’t Madonna going to sign Courtney to Maverick Reocrds? Then something happened, and the deal fell through, and Madonna signed Alanis Morissette instead.

Courtney thought it would be cool to snub Madonna's offer and go with Geffen Records instead.

Alanis then hit BIG. Way bigger than Live Through This and Geffen ended up screwing Hole out of a lot of royalties. Love was always slagging Alanis back in the day but admitted, years later, her biggest regret was not signing with Maverick.

by Anonymousreply 99April 17, 2024 12:22 AM

Who names their band “Hole”??

by Anonymousreply 100April 17, 2024 12:37 AM

Madonna and Courtney actually have a lot of similarities. Unlike Courtney, however, Madonna was able to keep a lid on her crazy for a long time.

by Anonymousreply 101April 17, 2024 12:42 AM

Kathleen Hanna is an insufferable, precious elitist twat and I’m glad Courtney punched her in the face. The truth is riot grrrl was hacky political “protest” masquerading as art and none of the music was worth a shit. All of those bands that came out of the Evergreen State College (literally one of the worst and most pretentious educational institutions in the country) sucked. Give me Babes in Toyland, Hole, and even L7—at least those bands were worth their salt.

by Anonymousreply 102April 17, 2024 1:06 AM

R96 Loads as in a loaded diaper. She’s shit.

Courtney was also very jealous Kurt liked Madonna, thought she was shockingly subversive for a mainstream pop star (why?), and was attracted to her.

Alanis had a shitton more talent than Courtney. Madonna probably chose to sign Alanis over Courtney, but Courtney knows Madonna won’t tell that tale.

by Anonymousreply 103April 17, 2024 1:25 AM

R100 it’s a reference to a conversation she had with her mother (a therapist who was not really a good mother) in which she told Courtney that she couldn’t live her life with a “hole running through her” because of her bad upbringing. The genital entendre goes without saying, but I think the name is very personal to her because of the main origin. She’s claimed over the years that there is a line in Medea that makes a similar reference to a “hole that pierces the soul” but I think this was a tall tale—I’ve never come across such reference in that text.

by Anonymousreply 104April 17, 2024 1:46 AM

Bikini Kill was a good punk band. They had a lot of spirit. Great shows.

by Anonymousreply 105April 17, 2024 1:53 AM

R90, Taylor Swift is a superstar for a generation that grew up with trigger warnings and safe spaces. She is safe, non-threatening, and pretty bland. As much as DL rags on Madonna, Courtney, etc., there is never a dull moment with these gals, and who doesn't love a messy diva?

by Anonymousreply 106April 17, 2024 2:22 AM

#104, at other times she has said that 'Hole' was Kurt's nickname for her. So who knows?

by Anonymousreply 107April 17, 2024 2:29 AM

Courtney was trolling the riot grrrls long before trolling was even a thing. She nailed those bitches to a two-by-four.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108April 17, 2024 2:41 AM

Don’t be silly. Taylor is triggering half the country. Madonna never did that. Safe? Taylor? Puhleeze.

by Anonymousreply 109April 17, 2024 2:58 AM

Madonna's career is actually quite bizarre and interesting for a popstar.

I'm not surprised Swift sells a lot. She makes safe, generic, kid-friendly music that average white girls can relate to. Her every move is PR'd to the nth degree and she cultivates a parasocial relationship with her fanbase that makes them think she's their best friend.

Madonna is complete fucking cunt. She never once tried to make herself likable to the public and went out of her way to do things that were offensive and would piss people off (for attention, but still). Another thing that completely sets her apart from other popstars is that she never gave her fans pet nicknames (Swifties, Beyhive, Lambs, etc) and instead seems to hold the upmost contempt for them. Wasn't she caught on camera making disparaging remarks about her fanbase being fat or something? Not to mention showing up hours late to her concerts...Madonna never seemed to pretend like she gives a shit about her fans outside of getting their money.

Its actually amazing how much Madonna sold when you consider what a complete cunt she was her whole career. You can understand why someone more palatable like Celine, Whitney (before the drug use became public), or Taylor sells a lot, but with Madonna its kind of different. She's vapid and fame-seeking like most popstars but in some ways she really is a complete anomaly in terms of pop success.

by Anonymousreply 110April 17, 2024 3:02 AM

Madonna had a lot to say. She was pissed at her father, she was pissed at the church, and she was pissed at life in general. That resonated with a lot of people. She had an incredible ear for music and her songs are some of the best pop songs ever.

by Anonymousreply 111April 17, 2024 3:09 AM

R110 Completely unhinged, batshit crazy post. JFC.

by Anonymousreply 112April 17, 2024 3:22 AM

R110 is “upmost” the new “irregardless” or “should of”?

by Anonymousreply 113April 17, 2024 3:24 AM

[quote]|Madonna is complete fucking cunt. She never once tried to make herself likable to the public:

It worked.

by Anonymousreply 114April 17, 2024 4:23 AM

I always felt that Madonna was a poseur in the extreme. Not one authentic bone in her gap toothed face. Couldn’t sing, could barely dance, not much to look at. I’ve always loathed her.

Courtney is a tick who leeched off one of the best musicians of the time and used him until there was nothing left. She was at the right place at the right time She’s a turd and can shut tf up.

Yes, Taylor is bland, but she’s also been famous since she was 17, and became popular during a pretty atrocious era of music. She’s evolving and Midnights is actually kind of a decent album. It made me change my mind about her as an artist.i hated her before but I kind of admire her song writing snd how she’s handling being so obscenely famous.

by Anonymousreply 115April 17, 2024 5:11 AM

As is typical in America now these days, Taylor had a silver spoon. Madonna didn’t have that advantage, she had to use her cunting for survival.

by Anonymousreply 116April 17, 2024 5:44 AM

R83 Kathleen Hanna is a joke. I think Courtney once said all the Riot Grrrls were trust fund babies who didn’t want to get jobs after college so they started bands until they got married and became housewives.

Kind of describes Hanna today.

by Anonymousreply 117April 17, 2024 5:57 AM

R115 BLEH.

Madonna and Courtney “were there”.

It’s like how can you call Madonna a poser? She went to New York City in the era of disco and early hip-hop and New Wave and electronic dance music. She was a drummer, then a guitarist, she was in the scenes that had such a tremendous influence on everything and she brought it all the pop music cause she was smart.

Same thing for Courtney, this was a woman who migrated around the world to get famous. She was in Tokyo, she was in the British scene, she went to Portland, she went to LA, etc.

There’s a list of respectable artists from the 80’s who knew Madonna or Courtney Love before they became famous.

These were 2 highly ambitious women who were present in the times.

Taylor Swift is just a rich kid who got a record contract. Madonna and Courtney spent years in the scene before they did.

by Anonymousreply 118April 17, 2024 6:11 AM

Another thing I want to point out about other people writing for Courtney or Hole ….

There’s plenty of bootlegs of their live shows, some long gone, but they would perform improv live on stage.

This is an example. It’s not a “real song”, it’s just the band playing off Courtney.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119April 17, 2024 6:30 AM

Someone actually covered the song lol

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120April 17, 2024 6:31 AM

I don’t know any of these hers. Well, the colored girl kind of looks like the colored girl who used to empty my bed pan each morning after I douched out Ike’s baby batter from my Hersey Highway. I guess it was more like a Swirl Street, especially if I had eaten Mexican food the night before.

by Anonymousreply 121April 17, 2024 6:35 AM

This is from 1985 when Courtney was in Pagan Babies with Kat Bjelland (who went on to form Babes In Toyland) and Jennifer Finch (who formed L7).

But you can hear in this song Courtney’s knack for pop. That’s why “Celebrity Skin” was as authentic as “Live Through This”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122April 17, 2024 6:37 AM

Wow. I just went down the rabbit hole (heh) of Courtney’s mother and maternal grandmother, who was an award-winning writer. Definitely worth a quick read.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123April 17, 2024 8:38 AM

R118 Because r115 is an extreme, irrational Madonna hater. “Couldn’t sing, or dance” is so absurd to say about her. It thinks it will change a mind by repeating that BS. It is so irrational that poster just outs themselves as a nutjob freak.

by Anonymousreply 124April 17, 2024 10:42 AM

R96 Just not musical

by Anonymousreply 125April 17, 2024 12:44 PM

R102 You are the one that sounds pretentious. Heaven to Betsy, Sleater-Kinney, even Bikini Kill were great bands. Certainly a lot more authentic than Hole ever was. I will agree that Kathleen Hanna is full of herself.

by Anonymousreply 126April 17, 2024 12:47 PM

R103 He didn't like Madonna

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127April 17, 2024 12:50 PM

R127 He did like Madonna.

by Anonymousreply 128April 17, 2024 9:24 PM

[quote]She’s a messy cunt.

Kurt was messier...well, after.

by Anonymousreply 129April 17, 2024 10:16 PM

R128 Well, you are dumb.

by Anonymousreply 130April 17, 2024 10:46 PM

Courtney is nuts. And 100% correct.

by Anonymousreply 131April 17, 2024 10:55 PM

R123 it took me a few minutes to realize that wasn't a pic of Dick Van Dyke. I couldn't understand why he'd be wearing earrings!

by Anonymousreply 132April 17, 2024 11:00 PM

R130 oh STFU. You Madonna haters have gotten unhinged. There are many vids of him praising Madonna. Fucking freak.

by Anonymousreply 133April 17, 2024 11:00 PM

She is right on all points.

by Anonymousreply 134April 17, 2024 11:20 PM

R133 No there aren't, you Madge looney

by Anonymousreply 135April 18, 2024 3:44 AM

[quote]R117 Courtney once said all the Riot Grrrls were trust fund babies who didn’t want to get jobs after college so they started bands

Wait…. wasn’t Ms. Love a trust fund baby, herself?

by Anonymousreply 136April 18, 2024 6:48 AM

Taylor Swift has no soul, literally or figuratively.

by Anonymousreply 137April 18, 2024 7:24 PM

R137 No one has a soul, literally, since it's a made up thing.

by Anonymousreply 138April 18, 2024 8:22 PM

R109 Deranged Swift fan. Madonna was condemned by the Pope.

by Anonymousreply 139April 18, 2024 8:27 PM

Fascinating insights from someone who certainly did not fuck her way to fame!

by Anonymousreply 140April 18, 2024 8:34 PM

What has Swift stood up for? Where does she stand on abortion rights? Why doesn't she actively support Biden? Where is her support for the rights of gays? Why doesn't she call out the Republican party? The thing is that she doesn't have to, but there is always someone who keeps posting about her politics and triggering people which is a lie. The only people triggered are people like us who are tired of this fake bitch and her nutty fanbase.

by Anonymousreply 141April 18, 2024 8:35 PM

r140. How do you know?

by Anonymousreply 142April 18, 2024 8:39 PM

Because I’m her vagina, r142.

by Anonymousreply 143April 18, 2024 8:46 PM

Queens gonna kaween. I’ll never understand why our tribe deifies this marginally talented BPD bitch. I guess it’s the (w)hole diva thang. SMH.

by Anonymousreply 144April 18, 2024 8:54 PM

All I can say is that every song I've heard of Taylor's has a shallow feel to it that leaves me cold. Hole has several songs that rip at my heart in a way I can't explain. Courtney's anger and her pain feel tangible in pretty much all of her music. Taylor comes across as fully performative and banal by comparison.

by Anonymousreply 145April 19, 2024 1:35 AM

Madonna made her bones back in the days when people had to get off their asses, travel to a store, and pay cash money for music. They didn't just click a button to listen to get music for free.

She also starved for five or more years in Lower Manhattan (back in the days when that area was a crime-ridden shithole), had zero connections in the music industry, and had to survive using her own wits. Nobody was there to help her, she had to do it all. On top of that, she has always been in charge of her own career. She didn't have a father/husband/boyfriend/manager etc. to guide her. She did it all herself.

I have always had tremendous respect for her because of all that.

by Anonymousreply 146April 19, 2024 1:39 AM

R136 yes, she was. Her mother was adopted at birth and brought up by a rich Italian American family in San Francisco; it was through this that Courtney had a trust fund that she blew on traveling around England and Ireland basically. She is pretty open about this. If I remember right, she used to claim that her maternal (adoptive) grandparents were founders of Bausch & Lomb or something, but I remember hearing an interview with her several years back where she admitted this was a lie and she based it on the fact that they were the owners of a well-to-do eyeglass store in San Francisco.

As far as her calling the riot grrrls trust fund babies, I've never read that quote and am not sure if she actually ever said that. She did openly loathe that scene though, and I understand why.

by Anonymousreply 147April 19, 2024 1:58 AM

R11, Lana has had no #1 hits. Nice try.

by Anonymousreply 148April 19, 2024 2:01 AM

[quote]Courtney a great lyricist? You mean Kurt was. He wrote her shit.

Even after he died? Pretty impressive, then.

by Anonymousreply 149April 19, 2024 5:13 AM

Malibu is a great song. The video has some arresting imagery too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150April 20, 2024 1:48 AM

Live Through This and Celebrity Skin are true masterpiece records. I also think Pretty on the Inside is one of the scariest, most scabrous albums ever recorded. Irrespective of the distinct styles of each of those albums, Courtney's writing on all of them is uniformly arresting. It is powerful. I've never thought that when I've heard a Taylor Swift song.

by Anonymousreply 151April 20, 2024 2:08 AM

She’s a drug addled whore who had a privileged upbringing. You pearl clutching kaweens think because she drove some grunge cross dresser to suicide that she is one of the Brontë sisters, when she’s really a low brow Barbara Cartland. Sweet Jaysus.

by Anonymousreply 152April 20, 2024 2:36 AM

R152 She didn’t have a privilege upbringing.

She was living with her ex-stepfather before she was 10. Her mother didn’t want her.

by Anonymousreply 153April 20, 2024 3:23 AM

[quote]R141 What has Swift stood up for? Where does she stand on abortion rights?

Where is her Phaedra? Her Lady Macbeth?

by Anonymousreply 154April 20, 2024 6:55 AM

R151 Pretty On the Inside is underrated. Garbage Man, Good Sister-Bad Sister, and the title track are some of my favorite Hole songs.

by Anonymousreply 155April 20, 2024 4:37 PM

Courtney had a really fucked up childhood regardless of the amount of money her parents had. Her dad was doing LSD experiments on her as a little girl, her mom basically threw her out of the house before she was a teenager, that sort of thing.

And she is very, very talented. Who is comparing to her to the Brontë sisters? How does it make any sense to compare a songwriter and musician to a fiction writer?

by Anonymousreply 156April 20, 2024 6:39 PM

Her loathing of riotgrrl was spot fucking on. A bunch of non-talented and deathly dull holier than thou proto-SJWs. Shame that cultural movement seems to have won today…

by Anonymousreply 157April 20, 2024 6:41 PM

Courtney is fierce. Love her.

by Anonymousreply 158April 20, 2024 7:56 PM

R157 Sleater-Kinney are way more talented than Love will ever be

by Anonymousreply 159April 20, 2024 8:22 PM

R159 hard disagree. Their music is snore-inducing to me. Boring riffs and even more boring vocals. Nails on a chalkboard. Give me Hole any day.

by Anonymousreply 160April 20, 2024 9:01 PM

R151 JFC that was the most over the top MARY shit I’ve ever read.

by Anonymousreply 161April 20, 2024 10:09 PM

I think she's borderline or histrionic. I think her childhood fucked her up completely. She doesn't seem dumb to me though. Her father apparently claims she has a high IQ.

by Anonymousreply 162April 21, 2024 2:02 AM

I don't think anyone ever would accuse Love of being low IQ.

Crazy? Addled? Selfish? Yeah.

But she's smart as fuck.

by Anonymousreply 163April 21, 2024 3:07 AM

I agree. I don’t think she’s this genius, but she’s very smart. So is Madonna. Both high IQs. And I don’t care what Courtney says, they both like each other or at the very least are fascinated by each other.

She brave to come out against Taylor. Nobody dares criticize Taylor.

by Anonymousreply 164April 21, 2024 5:25 AM

I once had a boyfriend with a genius IQ and he was batshit crazy

by Anonymousreply 165April 21, 2024 5:34 AM

She's smarter than a lot of people give her credit for, but she's also the kind that gets off on being a mean bitch for no good reason.

by Anonymousreply 166April 21, 2024 5:55 AM

She’s a gaping asshole.

by Anonymousreply 167April 21, 2024 6:22 AM

R160 Wellzm, you are in a minority then. Almost all of their albums are critically acclaimed, while Hole had one good album. Which a lot of people don't think she even wrote herself

by Anonymousreply 168April 21, 2024 7:33 AM

R157 Also, you said Riot Grrrls were untalented. If you think Love is a more talented guitar player than either of S-K guitarists, you don't know a lot about music.

by Anonymousreply 169April 21, 2024 7:35 AM

She is 100% accurate. I love how she breaks down my own thoughts into words and says things I have been afraid to admit to myself so far, but that are actually the truth.

by Anonymousreply 170April 21, 2024 7:38 AM

R170 You've been afraid to admit to yourself that Taylor Swift's music sucks???

by Anonymousreply 171April 21, 2024 7:40 AM

I agree with her on all points.

Even a stopped clock...

by Anonymousreply 172April 21, 2024 8:25 AM

Actually R171 I have bee afraid to admit I don't like Lana Del Rey anymore. I loved all of her first albums but haven't liked the last three.

by Anonymousreply 173April 21, 2024 8:40 AM

Courtney Love saying Taylor Swift “is not important” reveals her colossal ignorance. I’m not not referencing Swift’s music at all, and I’m no Swifty. Taylor Swift can turn an election. Can Methadone Mama do that? Sorry queens, Courtney Love is culturally irrelevant.

by Anonymousreply 174April 21, 2024 8:54 AM

[quote] Taylor Swift can turn an election

No she can’t, it didn’t work in Tennessee.

by Anonymousreply 175April 21, 2024 9:33 AM

Hmmm…lol

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 176April 21, 2024 10:46 AM

Ha! Courtney just trying to be the subject of the next Taylor album!

by Anonymousreply 177April 21, 2024 11:54 AM

I love how she has to put her 2 cents into everything. Like we give a shit what she thinks anymore. Her and Madonna need to go to the same retirement home.

by Anonymousreply 178April 21, 2024 12:02 PM

Lana Del Rey cannot sing. Period. She can do the chanteuse thing all she wants, as pretty as she is, and her stage shows have great production value (see Coachella set from Friday on YT). But when it comes down to it, she's Daddy's little imposter.

by Anonymousreply 179April 21, 2024 6:40 PM

R169 I know enough about music to be aware of the fact that Courtney Love is barely a guitarist. I also know enough about music to know that Sleater-Kinney is a dull band that is mostly worshipped by a cult of elitist Pacific Northwest lesbians who wish they'd been the room when Carrie Brownstein and Corin Tucker scissored for the first time.

by Anonymousreply 180April 21, 2024 6:48 PM

You always get the truth from Courtney. I love that crazy-ass bitch.

by Anonymousreply 181April 21, 2024 7:14 PM

R179, good point about Hope S. Her voice was much more pleasing than Lana’s. I do still enjoy a little Lana occasionally.

by Anonymousreply 182April 21, 2024 10:54 PM

Courtney Love is irrelevant and only know for her relationship with her husband who has been dead for 30 years.

All the women she mentions are, of course, subject to criticism. All are more successful than her. Her opinions are as valid as yours but to say Swift is irrelevant (of all the words) is so wrong that any opinion fromher is meaningless (and does not concern Swift’$ artistic merit).

by Anonymousreply 183April 22, 2024 12:41 AM

In the context of this conversation I believe Courtney is saying "Taylor Swift is not important in the art world." When it comes to actual art, she is not an artist.

Whether she is good or not, Courtney is an artist, even if you think her product is trash. And I am sure she has a great appreciation for real artist and what it takes to put out work. In this world Taylor is not important because she is not creating art. And it's made that much worse when she pretends that she is. "Tortured Poets Department?" Bitch Please.

by Anonymousreply 184April 22, 2024 6:26 AM

At at least Courtney has given up some moments to remember - like throwing a shoe at Madonna on live TV.

by Anonymousreply 185April 22, 2024 6:27 AM

I have seen Lana live, twice in concert, once at festival. She can sing, and she does sing live.

She isn’t a high energy, engaging, dynamic performer, she rambles the stage warbling. It’s her schtick and in person it does work.

by Anonymousreply 186April 22, 2024 6:44 AM

R176 wrong, Lana has a beautiful voice (I could listen to her all day long) and is a genuinely talented songwriter. She’s just not the best live performer; she just kind of breezes about the stage and doesn’t put a whole lot of energy to it. But even then she still has her moments.

by Anonymousreply 187April 22, 2024 8:15 AM

I don't think I have ever heard a Taylor Swift song from beginning to end. Of course I always hear someone who sounds like her playing everywhere. I can sing Lana Del Rey's Born to Die, Paradise Edition, Ultraviolence and Honeymoon from beginning to end. And I have good taste.

by Anonymousreply 188April 22, 2024 9:04 AM

I must say Lana had me when she used "telephone wires sizzling like a snare" to describe the atmosphere of a late hot summer night in Summertime Sadness. Very evocative.

by Anonymousreply 189April 22, 2024 9:09 AM

Since she didn’t say anything negative about Madonna, I’m shocked there isn’t more talk about what she said about Beyonce, another one you cannot diss (like Taylor) or you’ll be bullied relentlessly.

by Anonymousreply 190April 22, 2024 11:03 AM

R189 it took me years to realise she wasn’t in fact singing “sizzling like a snail”.

by Anonymousreply 191April 22, 2024 12:07 PM

[quote] And she punched Kathleen Hanna in the face, which is beyond the pale.

Kathleen and Kurt Cobain were close back in the day. Apparently she inspired Kurt to write "Smells Like Teen Spirit". I think Courtney was jealous of her. She's always been jealous of women prettier than her.

by Anonymousreply 192April 22, 2024 12:24 PM

It was a makeup compact R185 not a shoe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 193April 22, 2024 12:33 PM

R176 This isn’t all unique to Taylor Swift.

Olivia de Havilland and Barbra Streisand are examples of this off the top of my head.

by Anonymousreply 194April 22, 2024 12:41 PM

R176 She’s not Evita.

by Anonymousreply 195April 22, 2024 12:42 PM

What political acts has Taylor performed since promoting the Lover album?

by Anonymousreply 196April 22, 2024 12:45 PM

R180 Oh, you are an idiot. I see. My bad.

by Anonymousreply 197April 22, 2024 1:29 PM

Do straight men like Taylor's music? I have a coworker who downloads her music immediately. He appears straight but I can't help but think why would a straight guy want to buy an album about a woman whining about the men in her life? He loves her. He has been single his entire life, with no past relationships he ever mentions, and is highly religious. NTTAWWT.

by Anonymousreply 198April 22, 2024 3:42 PM

Is that rhetorical? R198

by Anonymousreply 199April 22, 2024 10:08 PM

Bet Courtney and Beyonce (don't know about Madonna) never had a homeless black guy sucking their breast at a Wendy's.

by Anonymousreply 200April 22, 2024 10:17 PM

R199. Now that I read it again - yes, rhetorical.

by Anonymousreply 201April 22, 2024 10:40 PM

R199 that alone makes Courtney a pop culture legend. Bow down.

by Anonymousreply 202April 22, 2024 10:43 PM

I can see Courtney being here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 203April 22, 2024 11:38 PM

R192 that’s literally every woman in the world. She’s insane AND ugly.

by Anonymousreply 204April 22, 2024 11:42 PM

[quote]Madonna was condemned by the Pope.

Clearly she's been doing something right R139.

by Anonymousreply 205April 22, 2024 11:44 PM

R192 I believe she merely inspired the title of the song, not the song itself.

by Anonymousreply 206April 22, 2024 11:55 PM

Beyonce was busted for stealing most of her looks from Betty White! It's shocking if you look at the side-by-side comparisons of outfits. I wish Betty were still alive to sue Bey for plagiarism. Funny how these basic bitches want to steal from Queen Betty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 207April 23, 2024 1:47 AM

What does Courtney even do now?

by Anonymousreply 208April 23, 2024 2:40 AM

Apparently piss off a lot of people on DL

by Anonymousreply 209April 23, 2024 2:47 AM

[quote]What does Courtney even do now?

Text her daughter to ask when her next support check is coming through.

by Anonymousreply 210April 23, 2024 3:25 PM

I’ve said this before on here. But I had a friend that went to Courtney house. She’s a big-time hoarder and doesn’t throw any thing away. Her house is filled with trash.

by Anonymousreply 211April 23, 2024 10:57 PM

Used makeup sponges and piles of panties everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 212April 23, 2024 11:03 PM

Courtney on Madonna, Taylor, Beyoncé:

They’re all a thousand times more popular and successful than Courtney

by Anonymousreply 213April 23, 2024 11:55 PM

R213 Success doesn't equal quality. How many times does that have to be said? Justin Bieber is more successful than Leonard Cohen. Does that mean he is better or more significant musician? Btw. not defending Love or saying that she's a quality musician, just hate all the parrot repeating about popularity, like that means anything.

by Anonymousreply 214April 24, 2024 12:18 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!