Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Is it ok to give condolence gift to boss?

My boss's dog recently died, and I was thinking of giving her a small gift as condolence. I get the feeling talking to her that I am one of the few taking her grief seriously. I have had pets die so I know how heartbreaking it is. It is a dead-end job and reviews have already been done for the year, so it is not like I am using this to kiss up. Thoughts?

by Anonymousreply 37April 16, 2024 8:48 AM

What the hell is a "condolence gift"? And moreover, one for a dead pet?

by Anonymousreply 1April 15, 2024 11:31 PM

throw her a bone OP

by Anonymousreply 2April 15, 2024 11:35 PM

A card is appropriate OP, not a gift.

by Anonymousreply 3April 15, 2024 11:36 PM

A small succulent plant for her desk. It won’t die (easily) and it will be a gentle reminder of her departed pet and your kindness.

by Anonymousreply 4April 15, 2024 11:38 PM

It’s highly inappropriate. Mind your business.

by Anonymousreply 5April 15, 2024 11:38 PM

Agreed about the card. It’s made a difference every time I’ve done it.

by Anonymousreply 6April 15, 2024 11:38 PM

Have you told her "I condole you" yet? You should really start there.

by Anonymousreply 7April 15, 2024 11:44 PM

My boss told me what she is going through. I did not go prying, R5. I usually send small gifts (appx $10- $15) instead of cards when the occasion arises.

by Anonymousreply 8April 15, 2024 11:44 PM

Tell her you’re quitting as you’ve found a better dead-end job.

by Anonymousreply 9April 15, 2024 11:47 PM

why are straight me so stupid

by Anonymousreply 10April 15, 2024 11:47 PM

A gift makes the loss appear trivial. 'You lost your dog but here's a coffee mug. All better?'

Cards or at most, flowers.

by Anonymousreply 11April 15, 2024 11:48 PM

OP if she is a single frau over 50 this is a significant loss. A card is a professional and appropriate way to offer your condolences. A gift would not be appropriate. Also giving a gift my spawn accusations of "brown nosing" from your co-workers.

by Anonymousreply 12April 15, 2024 11:50 PM

Ok. Thank you all for the advice.

by Anonymousreply 13April 15, 2024 11:58 PM

Btw, it was not going to be a coffee mug. I do see some nice cards.

by Anonymousreply 14April 16, 2024 12:17 AM

OP? Are you that same asshole that posted about how upset you were that your boss wouldn't let you say goodbye to her sick dog before she had it put down?

If so, haven't you just about played out this especially sad tale to the bitter end?

by Anonymousreply 15April 16, 2024 12:22 AM

No, R15.

by Anonymousreply 16April 16, 2024 12:29 AM

Definitely no gift. Card is ok.

by Anonymousreply 17April 16, 2024 12:31 AM

Bosses are human. My dog died last year, and my direct reports pooled together for a donation to a local shelter. They didn’t know it was actually the shelter where my dog was rescued. I was incredibly touched.

by Anonymousreply 18April 16, 2024 12:33 AM

The gift I was considering giving her is only a couple of dollars more than the cards I like so now I am wondering is there really a difference? We are only talking a small memento that has supposedly been well received by those grieving their pets. This is a very new event (last few days) and I appreciate any input. I am NOT the poster 15 is referring to.

by Anonymousreply 19April 16, 2024 12:45 AM

This site is overrun with the frau-i-EST shit threads these days.

by Anonymousreply 20April 16, 2024 12:50 AM

Then go read or start threads about blowjobs, R20.

by Anonymousreply 21April 16, 2024 12:56 AM

A gift is really weird. Don’t do it. Card is iffy. How long since the dog died?

by Anonymousreply 22April 16, 2024 1:00 AM

[quote]The gift I was considering giving her is only a couple of dollars more than the cards I like so now I am wondering is there really a difference?

No. Just no.

by Anonymousreply 23April 16, 2024 1:04 AM

I feel sorry for her, R22. I get the feeling a lot of people are not taking her grief seriously. A few days. Maybe actually listening to her is gift enough.

by Anonymousreply 24April 16, 2024 1:11 AM

I think gifts can feel inappropriate sometimes; like a boundary-crossing/too familiar. Card is the right choice. It would be very thoughtful if you got her a card and wrote a heartfelt but professional note

by Anonymousreply 25April 16, 2024 1:12 AM

OP, is this you?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26April 16, 2024 1:14 AM

NO, R26.

by Anonymousreply 27April 16, 2024 1:15 AM

[quote] Maybe actually listening to her is gift enough.

It is. It’s very kind of you. If the dog died last week give her a card on your way out Friday afternoon. It will help her through the weekend. And then by Monday you won’t have just given her a card.

- R22

by Anonymousreply 28April 16, 2024 1:15 AM

No card. No gift. You’re trying too hard plus this is your boss, not a friend. Just speak to her privately and express your sympathy— she will appreciate your acknowledgment of her grief.

by Anonymousreply 29April 16, 2024 2:26 AM

If you’re going to do a gift, make a donation to a pet rescue in the deceased pets’ name.

by Anonymousreply 30April 16, 2024 2:41 AM

Terrible idea to give a gift - tacky and overreaching. r3's suggestion is correct.

by Anonymousreply 31April 16, 2024 2:42 AM

card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card card

by Anonymousreply 32April 16, 2024 2:51 AM

Card only

by Anonymousreply 33April 16, 2024 2:59 AM

I think a condolence blowjob is always welcome.

by Anonymousreply 34April 16, 2024 3:49 AM

Flounce into their office and do a dramatic reading of the Rainbow Bridge poem. Move yourself to tears and then hold for applause.

by Anonymousreply 35April 16, 2024 3:59 AM

OP, if it has to be a gift then fine. But NO sex toys!

by Anonymousreply 36April 16, 2024 8:42 AM

There’s enough $15 crap floating around the world. Just say - hey, i am really sorry to hear about Rusty.

I hope this is not some kind of boss kiss-ass move, either. There are also enough of ass-kissing employees in the world, as well.

by Anonymousreply 37April 16, 2024 8:48 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!