Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why are upper-middle class/wealthy people generally better looking than lower-income individuals?

I know wealthier people have access to gyms, beauty treatments, and stylists, but even the ones without plastic surgery look better because the facial features just look better than poorer people.

Not trying to insult the people in this video, but you rarely see an wealthier person with these kind of facial features. Ignore the teeth, look at the rest of the facial features. Most of them have no cheekbones; rich people have better midfaces/noses (even before surgery) Is it bad genes or what?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95March 28, 2024 4:31 AM

Yes. It is very rare that a dirt poor person is born gorgeous, I grew up in an area where most were either wealthy/upper class or dirt poor.

by Anonymousreply 1March 27, 2024 12:06 PM

Less inbreeding.

by Anonymousreply 2March 27, 2024 12:15 PM

Is this the Ozarks?

by Anonymousreply 3March 27, 2024 12:23 PM

Nutrition.

by Anonymousreply 4March 27, 2024 12:24 PM

Rich people make lots of choices to protect their interests and not breeding with uglies is usually one of them.

by Anonymousreply 5March 27, 2024 12:26 PM

Childhood habits have a dramatic effect on how attractive you will be. Children who breathe through the mouth will have underdeveloped chins. Poor nutrition could cause a boy to grow up with low testosterone which will negatively affect the development of his facial features. Posture, etc. Rich parents are more likely to feed their kids a quality diet and insist on good habits.

by Anonymousreply 6March 27, 2024 12:30 PM

OP, In my 60 years on earth I’ve noticed distinct correlation between intelligence and good looks that I feel has to be statistically significant..

There are obviously truly gorgeous and truly unfortunate looking people in every strata of society, no matter how you parse the groups. And certainly people with more economic means can both afford to take better care of themselves, and in general avoid the kinds of habits and types of employment that can prematurely age you in larger numbers than those who are less well off.

But I do feel, in general, people who are more intelligent than average are also tend to be better looking than average. This intelligence, plus the fact that better looking people get somewhat preferential treatment in our society, would put more of those people at an economic advantage as well.

by Anonymousreply 7March 27, 2024 12:30 PM

I've often wondered that myself, OP.

by Anonymousreply 8March 27, 2024 12:34 PM

R79 I grew up poor but handsome and intelligent in sprite of it. However my siblings were not so fortunate and they're all rather most of them unfortunately looking and not too bright. I think the Fates all the time that I was the one that lucked out.

by Anonymousreply 9March 27, 2024 12:35 PM

OP? You must be kidding, right?

Signed,

Elon, Zuck, Bill G., Jeff Yass, the Pritzkers, Princess Anne, et al.

by Anonymousreply 10March 27, 2024 12:39 PM

Generations of good nutrition.

by Anonymousreply 11March 27, 2024 12:44 PM

Money for spa, nice clothes, teeth etc etc.

by Anonymousreply 12March 27, 2024 12:44 PM

Diet. It’s that simple. Green leafy vegetables and the assortment of nutrients from veggies make your face more symmetrical. They are so many beautiful and fine ass people from trashy backgrounds in high school.

by Anonymousreply 13March 27, 2024 12:46 PM

Stealth Eugenics Thread

by Anonymousreply 14March 27, 2024 12:48 PM

Presentation plays a part in this. If you have beautiful hair, access to great clothes and you ar thin, you can instantly be deemed “attractive”. I went to school with girls who were not conventionally attractive when you rally looked at their faces but their presentation plus good makeup made them the most sought after females.

by Anonymousreply 15March 27, 2024 12:49 PM

Johnny Depp is the only naturally stunning person I can think of who comes from a poor family. The rest of his family look plain. It seems like he was a fluke of nature.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16March 27, 2024 12:52 PM

Stress.

by Anonymousreply 17March 27, 2024 2:31 PM

I have my own theory about this.

by Anonymousreply 18March 27, 2024 2:43 PM

Physically attractive people receive preferential treatment every day of their lives.

by Anonymousreply 19March 27, 2024 2:49 PM

They brush and floss their teeth more often and avoid energy drinks and Mountain Dew, unlike poor people.

by Anonymousreply 20March 27, 2024 2:53 PM

I would say its a combination of diet, the physical manifestation of the phychological benefits of growing up in an enviornment of abundance vs scarcity, an upbringing that emphasizes grooming hygiene and posture, access to dance classes and athletic training, dental work, the fact that good looking people are more likely to succeed in jobs that require people skills, the fact that good looking people are more likely to marry into wealthy families, which over many generations, concentrates attractive genes in well off enclaves.... that all plays a part.

that said hardly any of the richest men in the world are super attractive are they? And look at the royals. Those genes are relentlessly plain. They all hit a wall at 30 or so and thats the lucky ones.

by Anonymousreply 21March 27, 2024 3:17 PM

Attractive lower class people get sussed out quickly. They marry well or get better opportunities. That's more of the discussion.

by Anonymousreply 22March 27, 2024 3:20 PM

r22 i used to say that until i moved to LA and frequently saw many stunning people living in tents or on skid row. good looks absolutely help but if you dont have the mental health, fortitude and shrewdness to leverage them to your advantage, they can just make you a target.

by Anonymousreply 23March 27, 2024 3:27 PM

R23 - LA is not a good case study because for over a century it has been flooded with exceptionally good looking people seeking movie careers - most failed, but many stayed, so the gene pool in Southern CA is heavily skewed towards attractiveness

by Anonymousreply 24March 27, 2024 3:40 PM

R23, where? I mean, I live in SoCal and never see stunning people in tents. If there were, those are the people others are most likely to help.

by Anonymousreply 25March 27, 2024 3:40 PM

Anatomy is destiny.

by Anonymousreply 26March 27, 2024 3:41 PM

Rich people marry more attractive partners so over generations, voila.

by Anonymousreply 27March 27, 2024 3:43 PM

I don't believe what OP posted is true. Ever seen the NY social diary? All fuggos. It's a crap shoot. Two plain people can have a gorgeous child and two gorgeous people can have a plain looking kid.

by Anonymousreply 28March 27, 2024 3:47 PM

Because we are superior individuals blessed by Jesus.

by Anonymousreply 29March 27, 2024 3:50 PM

R21 - the tenacity of the ugly genes in The House of Winsor is perversely fascinating. George V was homely and Elizabeth was dowdy and plain. Daughters Liz II and Margaret were actually more attractive than their parents, especially when young, and Philip was extremely good looking but all the Queen’s kids except Andrew were rather unfortunate looking even in youth, and they all have aged much worse than their mother.

The Spencer genes haven’t had much success past 30, as you pointed out. It will be interesting to see how Kate’s kids look as adults, and if 3 generations of marrying much better looking spouses will finally have lasting results.

by Anonymousreply 30March 27, 2024 3:50 PM

Great nutrition

Exercise

Good hygiene

A lot of times people may be average, but coupled with nice clothes and being well spoken, they come off as charming and therefore more attractive.

However, like everyone, the more you are around someone and the more you see their "other side," the less attractive they become.

by Anonymousreply 31March 27, 2024 3:53 PM

We are the teeth you dream of having.

by Anonymousreply 32March 27, 2024 3:55 PM

Here's the "diversity photo" from Le Rosey, the Swiss boarding school for the Global .01%. Are they above average looking?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33March 27, 2024 3:57 PM

[quote] But I do feel, in general, people who are more intelligent than average are also tend to be better looking than average.

Huh? Topic is class and wealth, not intelligence. (Correlation with good looks.)

by Anonymousreply 34March 27, 2024 4:00 PM

[quote]R16 Johnny Depp is the only naturally stunning person I can think of who comes from a poor family.

I thought Sharon Stone was from an at least decidedly blue collar family. Her father worked in a factory.

by Anonymousreply 35March 27, 2024 4:02 PM

They’re more likely to take care of their health

by Anonymousreply 36March 27, 2024 4:03 PM

I do so agree, OP. It's why I had special ovens for unattractive lower-income individuals. I called them Ugly Bake Ovens.

by Anonymousreply 37March 27, 2024 4:04 PM

Yale Freshman Crew 1914.

Only 2 are noticeably handsome, and a few more are just "cute" at best, in my opinion.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38March 27, 2024 4:06 PM

If you have the intelligence to become successful in life, you would also have the knowledge that caring about your health is important, as is grooming and maintaining one's appearance.

by Anonymousreply 39March 27, 2024 4:09 PM

{quote] Johnny Depp is the only naturally stunning person I can think of who comes from a poor family

The hell you say!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40March 27, 2024 4:10 PM

I think r7 is what we call confirmation bias.

by Anonymousreply 41March 27, 2024 4:11 PM

The BRF belie your hypothesis OP.

by Anonymousreply 42March 27, 2024 4:14 PM

Ich stimme nicht mit dem OP überein, der sicherlich bescheidener Herkunft und unattraktiv ist. Armer lieber Mann.

by Anonymousreply 43March 27, 2024 4:15 PM

I'm not sure I agree with this at all. I mean, if we're talking inbred type, defective genetics, live in the hills, sure. But that's not most poor people in the first world. I grew up poor and there were plenty of attractive guys in my social circle as a teenager. We didn't have money, but of course you try to fit in, so we'd buy from second hand stores and so forth. That was the main difference. The rich boys had the latest trends, better (and always clean and new looking) shoes, haircuts were more frequent, any skin problems were taken care of immediately by doctors, and some other things, so yes, they looked more polished and perfect. But a lot of them were pretty fucking ugly, especially Aaron. Nasty queen.

by Anonymousreply 44March 27, 2024 4:17 PM

Women marry for security, men marry to have good-looking offspring and better sex.

This is based on the availability of men with resources. If you are a drop-dead gorgeous woman in a gene pool of poor and resourceless men, your only option is to be fucked by all the wrong men.

Same with handsome men without resources. Women are going to pass up Prince Charming for Prince Moneybags.

by Anonymousreply 45March 27, 2024 4:18 PM

Wealth attracts beauty.

by Anonymousreply 46March 27, 2024 4:21 PM

[quote] But I do feel, in general, people who are more intelligent than average are also tend to be better looking than average.

I'm not 60 (yet) but I've observed something quite different beyond the averages or medians. All of the exceptionally intelligent people I've met have been no better than average in physical appearance with some being unattractive. At the same time, I have not met a truly physically beautiful person of greater than average intelligence, with at least one I can think of being what I would call "dumb."

by Anonymousreply 47March 27, 2024 4:22 PM

I think more doors open for very attractive people. Attractive people are perceived as more intelligent and more competent, even when they're not.

by Anonymousreply 48March 27, 2024 4:25 PM

And beauty attracts wealth.

by Anonymousreply 49March 27, 2024 4:30 PM

Weight is a big issue, too. Being obese is the sign of the poor and white trash now.

by Anonymousreply 50March 27, 2024 4:35 PM

Intellect does not equal attractiveness. Look at any college campus faculty members. Some real fugs especially the women. Amy Bishop anyone?

by Anonymousreply 51March 27, 2024 4:38 PM

That's Amy "Boom Boom" Bishop to you, r51!

by Anonymousreply 52March 27, 2024 4:41 PM

Correct R52. How remiss of me. God, those threads were fun.

by Anonymousreply 53March 27, 2024 4:45 PM

In some cases you can grow up wealthy, and still be fat, ugly, ill mannered, and, to use Rex Tillerson's words, a Fucking Moron

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54March 27, 2024 4:45 PM

Lifetime access to grooming, diet, healthcare, and not having to work all the time at a physically demanding job so you have the mental and physical energy to make the gym/exercise a habit.

by Anonymousreply 55March 27, 2024 5:06 PM

Find me a upper class man who looks half as good as this working class fella.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56March 27, 2024 5:12 PM

Uh, duh, yes affluence enables better self care and grooming. And guess what: better education and longer life expectancy.

by Anonymousreply 57March 27, 2024 5:16 PM

All the pieces are here in this thread:

1. Rich people tend to marry good-looking people, improving the gene pool. Royal families are an exception, as matches are more often political.

2. Children in wealthy families tend to have better nutrition and exercise habits, better teeth, etc. which enhance the overall appearance.

3. Multiply the effect over generations, and repeat.

The Trump family is not really an exception -they are new money. Also, they tend to have a great deal of cosmetic work done which has no impact on their offspring -so it's going to be a (very) slow process.

by Anonymousreply 58March 27, 2024 5:39 PM

It's very simple, OP. Wealthier people enjoy better diets, have to deal with less stressors, live in cleaner and less polluted environments, have more time and material resources to devote to their wellbeing (exercise, beauty treatments, grooming), enjoy spiritually exalting experiences (access to art, knowledge, personal development, emotionally fulfilling hobbies, cultural travels) and also dress better.

All of these elements tend to have an impact on genetics, as R58 correctly mentions. Generational poverty has devastating effects on a family's genetic legacy, because physically demanding jobs, malnutrition, living in unhealthy environments and stressing because you cannot cover your family's and your own most basic needs, has a devastating effect over time, and the opposite is also true.

by Anonymousreply 59March 27, 2024 5:47 PM

Nature and nurture.

by Anonymousreply 60March 27, 2024 5:49 PM

[quote] Ever seen the NY social diary? All fuggos.

Fuck you, R28!

by Anonymousreply 61March 27, 2024 5:53 PM

I'm, objectively, ugly. I accept as much at this point in my life.

I was born poor (Appalachian) and adopted by an upper-middle-class family a few days after birth.

In addition to diet and other healthy lifestyle factors, my parents were able to correct my strabismus (lazy eye) early in life via surgery, and they could afford to get me braces, as well as jaw surgery to fix a severe overbite. They also took me to a dermatologist and paid for Accutane to clear up cystic acne as a teen.

I'm still not very attractive, but all those things improved my appearance. I sometimes think how much worse off I'd have been in the looks department had I been raised by my biological family.

by Anonymousreply 62March 27, 2024 5:55 PM

R58, you're forgetting that good-looking parents don't always produce attractive kids.

Of course, having wealth to have pastic surgery helps. Look at Ivanka. It thought her a chin.

by Anonymousreply 63March 27, 2024 5:59 PM

It's Diet and stress.

by Anonymousreply 64March 27, 2024 6:07 PM

You're probably much more average-looking than you think, R62. :) Most of us are! (Isn't that what average means?)

I don't think people make enough distinction between good looks and sexiness. They don't always go hand in hand. There are many handsome guys who are much talked-about here that I don't find remotely sexy -and there are lots of guys with very average looks who get me instantly hard. Why? Sometimes it's attitude/confidence. Sometimes it's intelligence or humor. Or maybe sometimes it's a case of too much beauty is feminizing. Different strokes at all that...

by Anonymousreply 65March 27, 2024 6:09 PM

Elvis - came from a poor family. Great looks and talent.

Joan Crawford - came from a poor family. Great looks and talent.

Cary Grant, often considered the most handsome actor of all time and the physical ideal of a gentleman- came from a poor family. Great looks and talent.

Audrey Hepburn - had to eat tulip bulbs was so poor once after the war. Great looks and talent.

Not seeing your point OP.

There are many rich uggos as well. Bill Gates anyone? (Sorry Bill, Elon, Warren, Elton, Jay Z...)

by Anonymousreply 66March 27, 2024 6:12 PM

But those rich uggos weren't born rich -they acquired money -and then acquired good-looking spouses. (For the most part.)

Let's name some uggos that were born to OLD money families (royals excepted for reasons stated above).

by Anonymousreply 67March 27, 2024 6:17 PM

R67 have you not seen Prince Charles and Princess Anne?

by Anonymousreply 68March 27, 2024 6:25 PM

R68, can you not read??

by Anonymousreply 69March 27, 2024 6:27 PM

Eh, I really don’t think this is true at all.

You can find that in nepo babies in the entertainment industry. A lot of their parents were raised poor and they ended up having lots of ugly kids who grew up richer than they did.

So that’s why I don’t see it.

If anything, upper middle class are able to disguise their ugliness more through hair and wardrobe.

I’m a city kid and moved to the suburbs and I remember being taken aback by how popular ugly people were.

by Anonymousreply 70March 27, 2024 6:32 PM

Johnny Depp's dad is gorgeous. He looks a lot like him.

It would be tough to be the homely kid of a gorgeous parent. Thinking Tracy Ellis Ross to gorgeous mom Diana Ross. Although Tracy makes up for it with style and charisma. As stated above these can go a long way in making an average person more attractive.

by Anonymousreply 71March 27, 2024 6:32 PM

The world's wealthiest people: Bernard Arnault, Jeff Bezos, Elon Musk, Mark Zuckerberg, Larry Ellison, Warren Buffett, Bill Gates....

Not a very attractive group.

by Anonymousreply 72March 27, 2024 6:39 PM

r72, these are the ugly rich men who married women interested in security.

Look at their children.

by Anonymousreply 73March 27, 2024 6:50 PM

r71 I can't believe Johnny Depp's only son looks like this. Vanessa's genes ruined everything.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74March 27, 2024 6:50 PM

[quote] But those rich uggos weren't born rich -they acquired money

Bill Gates, Elon Musk, Jeff Bezos, et al. all grew up in well-to-do families.

by Anonymousreply 75March 27, 2024 6:54 PM

According to John Waters, nearly everyone in the first class section of a plane is ugly.

by Anonymousreply 76March 27, 2024 8:18 PM

John Waters has upside down taste, and God Bless him for that!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77March 27, 2024 8:20 PM

They brush their teeth and don’t dye their hair ugly ass colors.

by Anonymousreply 78March 27, 2024 8:43 PM

Johnny Depp's son could be gorgeous if he were Kardashianized but it would take a bunch of surgery.

by Anonymousreply 79March 27, 2024 10:06 PM

I always thought that the Tammy movie and tv shows were off. Tammy grew up with her dirty grandfather in a swamp, and she was blonde with great teeth and a sweet singing voice. Now I know how unrealistic it was.

by Anonymousreply 80March 27, 2024 10:10 PM

Better everything.

by Anonymousreply 81March 27, 2024 10:35 PM

Poverty generally ages people well beyond their years for all the reasons mentioned above. How are you realizing this now?

by Anonymousreply 82March 27, 2024 10:39 PM

You have never been fucked by a hobo have you?

by Anonymousreply 83March 27, 2024 11:13 PM

I haven't bothered to read through the thread, but isn't the answer quite obvious? People with wealth and money have always attracted and been drawn to beauty that is a purchasable commodity. If they didn't have it, they bought it with a dowry and promises for great wealth to fathers if they gave up beautiful daughters.

It's always been a meat market where the best goods got purchased and women were forced to fuck grotesque heirs.

by Anonymousreply 84March 27, 2024 11:20 PM

Thank god some poor trash manages to be hot, despite the odds.

I've been touched by a very hot carny, for example.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85March 27, 2024 11:28 PM

The genetics of beauty are unpredictable and for beauty to have been “bred in” to rich families then the families would have to have been rich for several generations. That’s a very, very tiny percentage of the world’s population.

It’s weight, posture/comportment, haircuts, dental care.

by Anonymousreply 86March 27, 2024 11:32 PM

We're just prettier, that's all.

by Anonymousreply 87March 27, 2024 11:38 PM

[QUOTE]for beauty to have been “bred in” to rich families then the families would have to have been rich for several generations. That’s a very, very tiny percentage of the world’s population.

Yet growing larger over time, as is the market for pretty little things, often trafficked by their own parents.

by Anonymousreply 88March 27, 2024 11:42 PM

What R86 said. Most people confuse being naturally attractive with being cleaned up.

by Anonymousreply 89March 27, 2024 11:47 PM

The poor minorities where I grew up (black and Mexican), had a lot of gorgeous boys. It was the white poor people who were very fugly.

by Anonymousreply 90March 27, 2024 11:57 PM

"That's because the good looking white poors bootstrapped up in class. After a couple hundred years, there are very few good looking genes left among the poor."

- Alexander Graham Bell, American Eugenicist

by Anonymousreply 91March 28, 2024 12:02 AM

Wow…..this thread is just…….

by Anonymousreply 92March 28, 2024 3:16 AM

Yet most porn stars come from a lower class background.

by Anonymousreply 93March 28, 2024 3:49 AM

I thought Alexander Graham Bell was Canadian?

by Anonymousreply 94March 28, 2024 4:28 AM

Most people are average in terms of looks but it's the ones on either end of the spectrum that stand out.

by Anonymousreply 95March 28, 2024 4:31 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!