Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Rolling Stone: 50 Terrible Movies by Great Directors

Cinematic disasters Hollywood's greatest geniuses would love to forget — starring Martin Scorsese, Clint Eastwood, David Fincher, and more.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60March 31, 2024 4:54 PM

I skimmed the bottom ten or so on the list, and it seems Rolling Stone has an only sufficient grasp on what is a bad movie, but a terrible grasp on who is a great director.

by Anonymousreply 1March 27, 2024 3:33 AM

Exactly. When has anyone ever claimed that Barry Sonnenfeld, Richard Donner, John McTiernan, Christopher Columbus, and Penny Marshal were "great directors?"

by Anonymousreply 2March 27, 2024 3:42 AM

R2, true dat.

But taken at face value it's hard to argue with the choices, save for "Death Becomes Her", which is in fact quite mordantly witty (even if it lets the male character entirely off the hook).

by Anonymousreply 3March 27, 2024 3:45 AM

And even if you think Robert Zemeckis is a great director, and he definitely is not, why single out the camp classic Death Becomes Her when his last three movies were Pinocchio, The Witches and Welcome to Marwen? The last of those is one of the worst movies released in the past decade, and the other two aren’t far behind.

by Anonymousreply 4March 27, 2024 3:50 AM

I’ve only seen a couple of these but “Sphere” does indeed suck ass.

by Anonymousreply 5March 27, 2024 3:57 AM

19 - ‘Death Becomes Her’ (Robert Zemeckis)

Complete failure of a list. Hopefully this is AI generated and not some underpaid writer.

by Anonymousreply 6March 27, 2024 4:13 AM

Really don't know many of them except The 15:17 to Paris. After Iron fucking Weed it is the worst movie I've ever seen.

by Anonymousreply 7March 27, 2024 4:34 AM

The Ladykillers, Alien 3 and Death Becomes Her don't belong on the same list as Jack. Some of those movies are terrible but most of them are just ambitious movies that didn't make a lot of money. Vacuous clickbate written by someone with shitty taste.

by Anonymousreply 8March 27, 2024 4:47 AM

Critiques will never get over their Death Becomes Her hate. "The laughs never came"....my ass they never came, I dont know one person who has seen that film and not consider it hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 9March 27, 2024 4:48 AM

I really liked Downsizing. Great premise. Had a slow start but once it got going, it was pretty good until the last third when it turned into another movie.

by Anonymousreply 10March 27, 2024 5:03 AM

I'm not a fan of Sidney Lumet but Anne Bancroft has one of her best parts in Garbo Talks.

by Anonymousreply 11March 27, 2024 5:08 AM

Garbo Talks is a fucking classic.

by Anonymousreply 12March 27, 2024 5:10 AM

Rolling Stone is now at least 43% listicles like this one. It’s their clickbait now that the music industry has all the excitement of a damp throw pillow. They always put the stupidest stuff on these so everyone will share it with intros like “how does a list of best wind instrumentalists NOT include Zamfir?? That dude was the fucking MASTER of the pan flute!”

It gets tedious after awhile.

No offense meant to you OP—it can start a decent discussion. It just irritates me that a great magazine has become this much of a joke.

by Anonymousreply 13March 27, 2024 5:13 AM

Lumet has made much worse. The Wiz!

by Anonymousreply 14March 27, 2024 5:14 AM

I agree that the endless lists in RS have become a joke, but I thought this one was more entertaining than most because it reminded me some lost turkeys I'd forgotten about and might watch just to see if they live up (or down) to their reputation. "The Last Tycoon" isn't great, but I'd never describe it as TERRIBLE, just patchy. I agree with "Beyond Therapy" for Altman: I paid to see that one and didn't laugh once.

by Anonymousreply 15March 27, 2024 5:29 AM

R14, The Wiz is a mess, but has "No Bad News" and the subway station sequence and a few other things, so can't be written off as a total loss.

by Anonymousreply 16March 27, 2024 5:29 AM

I would fkin let Robin Williams ravage me. I woulda let him call me slurs and I would have rimmed him.

by Anonymousreply 17March 27, 2024 5:31 AM

Well na noo na noo to you

by Anonymousreply 18March 27, 2024 5:39 AM

[quote] Rolling Stone is now at least 43% listicles like this one. It’s their clickbait now that the music industry has all the excitement of a damp throw pillow

A recent list looked at important gay music. They omitted Melissa Etheridge, KD Lang, Indigo Girls, Janice Ian, and Gogos.

c'mon

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19March 27, 2024 5:39 AM

R19 To omit LGB icon Melissa Etheridge is downright criminal.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20March 27, 2024 6:02 AM

If Death Becomes Her is on the list it’s a terrible list.

by Anonymousreply 21March 27, 2024 6:04 AM

[quote] I would fkin let Robin Williams ravage me. I woulda let him call me slurs and I would have rimmed him.—TeacakeRises

Can you comment in any thread without being a bipolar, oversharing druggie whore?

by Anonymousreply 22March 27, 2024 6:08 AM

R22 Nothing about that comment is druggie you conservative prude. I’m proud of my sexuality and my inhibitions. You lowlife, celibate creep.

by Anonymousreply 23March 27, 2024 6:10 AM

You're not proud of anything. Other than being a troll and a liar.

Someone needs to flush you twice.

by Anonymousreply 24March 27, 2024 6:11 AM

I'd never heard of John Huston's "Phobia"; surely Paul Michael Glaser in his prime provides compensatory eye candy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25March 27, 2024 6:16 AM

Phobia didn't really get a theatrical release. Maybe in a couple of smaller cities. I remember it being on cable in 1980.

by Anonymousreply 26March 27, 2024 6:18 AM

What an odd list.

by Anonymousreply 27March 27, 2024 10:20 AM

She's Having a Baby is a charming movie I re-watch on occasion. It's a movie about figuring out how to be an adult. It's not perfect, but it's a favorite of mine.

Despite what this dipshit says, Bacon and McGovern have an easy chemistry. McGovern takes a backseat to Bacon for most of the movie, but she is allowed to be a prickly mess unlike most 80s female leads. ("It's GROUPER.")

It also has an amazing soundtrack, features Alec Baldwin at his sexiest, and a great quickie by Edie McClurg ("No, he's the little boy with impetigo.")

Love it. Fuck this guy,

by Anonymousreply 28March 27, 2024 12:35 PM

The Exorcist II owns that list. Boorman was so clueless from the very beginning. The Exorcist broke box office records but he thought the film needed "a correction". And it was all downhill from there! How many movies are so bad that people throw things at the screen!? And chase after the executives in rage?

by Anonymousreply 29March 27, 2024 12:40 PM

R28 Whenever I make fish I always think of that line. Elizabeth McGovern is adorable in that movie.

by Anonymousreply 30March 27, 2024 12:48 PM

I stopped reading or taking Rolling Stone seriously after they put that terrorist on the cover trying to look like Jim Morrison. I just said fuck them.

by Anonymousreply 31March 27, 2024 1:22 PM

R28 yeah I found SHMB better than 90% of all John Hughes movies , who I think has been soo overrated. He did catch a bit of the teen pathos of the time but once the teens grew up the films had nothing more to say to us.

by Anonymousreply 32March 27, 2024 1:36 PM

R28 completely with you on She’s Having A Baby. Even if the rest of the movie wasn’t terrific (and it is) he made great work of “This Woman’s Work” by Kate Bush.

by Anonymousreply 33March 28, 2024 5:38 AM

R33, didn't Kate write that for the film? Great song...

by Anonymousreply 34March 28, 2024 2:19 PM

FULL RS LIST

01. Jack (Francis Ford Coppola) 02. North (Rob Reiner) 03. Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of Crystal Skull (Steven Spielberg) 04. Psycho (Gus Van Sant) 05. Planet of the Apes (Tim Burton) 06. Piranha II: The Spawning (James Cameron) 07. Star Wars: Episode I — The Phantom Menace (George Lucas) 08. Amsterdam (David O. Russell) 09. She’s Having A Baby (John Hughes) 10. How the Grinch Stole Christmas (Ron Howard) 11. The Ladykillers (Joel and Ethan Coen) 12. The Stupids (John Landis) 13. Boxcar Bertha (Martin Scorsese) 14. Junior (Ivan Reitman) 15. Club Paradise (Harold Ramis) 16. Jade (William Friedkin) 17. Alien 3 (David Fincher) 18. A Good Year (Ridley Scott) 19. Death Becomes Her (Robert Zemeckis) 20. What Planet Are You From? (Mike Nichols) 21. Juno and the Paycock (Alfred Hitchcock) 22. Joan of Arc (Victor Fleming) 23. The 15:17 to Paris (Clint Eastwood) 24. The Wings of Eagles (John Ford) 25. Phobia (John Huston) 26. Wild Wild West (Barry Sonenfeld) 27. Pocket of Miracles (Frank Capra) 28. Beyond Therapy (Robert Altman) 29. Oz The Great and the Powerful (Sam Raimi) 30. The Last Tycoon (Elia Kazan) 31. Sphere (Barry Levinson) 32. Goya’s Ghosts (Milos Forman) 33. Buddy Buddy (Billy Wilder) 34. Gemini Man (Ang Lee) 35. The Stepford Wives (Frank Oz) 36. The Ward (John Carpenter) 37. Garbo Talks (Sidney Lumet) 38. Downsizing (Alexander Payne) 39. Jupiter Ascending (The Wachowskis) 40. Random Hearts (Sydney Pollack) 41. The Good German (Steven Soderbergh) 42. Girl 6 (Spike Lee) 43. Assassins (Richard Donner) 44. Basic (John Mctiernan) 45. Bicentennial Man (Christopher Columbus) 46. Look Who’s Talking Now? (Amy Heckerling) 47. The Truth About Charlie (Jonathan Demme) 48. How Do You Know (James L. Brooks) 49. The Fountain (Darren Aronofsky) 50. Renaissance Man (Penny Marshall)

by Anonymousreply 35March 28, 2024 3:00 PM

Don’t give those AI Zillenial hacks at RS any clicks

by Anonymousreply 36March 28, 2024 3:01 PM

Great:

19. Death Becomes Her (Robert Zemeckis)

20. What Planet Are You From? (Mike Nichols)

31. Sphere (Barry Levinson)

Okay:

01. Jack (Francis Ford Coppola)

02. North (Rob Reiner)

10. How the Grinch Stole Christmas (Ron Howard)

45. Bicentennial Man (Christopher Columbus)

46. Look Who’s Talking Now? (Amy Heckerling)

by Anonymousreply 37March 28, 2024 3:04 PM

I thought Death Becomes Her was considered a classic? Maybe I spend too much time on DL.

I tried to watch Jack once. I don't think I even made it through the first ten minutes.

by Anonymousreply 38March 31, 2024 1:47 AM

Rolling Stone is a joke these days.

by Anonymousreply 39March 31, 2024 2:13 AM

North was truly terrible, one of the worst films I've ever seen

by Anonymousreply 40March 31, 2024 2:22 AM

Wait. Rolling Stone is still in publication?

by Anonymousreply 41March 31, 2024 2:45 AM

What Planet Are You From? was funny. I love The Fountain. One of my favorite movies. I disagree with about a quarter of those choices.

by Anonymousreply 42March 31, 2024 3:19 AM

A Good Year. Ridley Scott was about to film one of his epics, I forget which, but it was held up for some reason so he whipped up this little film. The story is touching, there are some funny bits but the most important part is the faaabulous setting in the south of France. Guaranteed after watching you will immediately buy an airline ticket and fly there.

by Anonymousreply 43March 31, 2024 3:43 AM

“Terrible movies” and “great directors” are both subjective here. And why did they leave put Quentin Tarantino and Robert Rodriguez? Grindhouse was terrible. Rodriguez has made a lot of awful movies.

by Anonymousreply 44March 31, 2024 12:23 PM

R44 Rodriguez (and Tarantino by association) should have made the list for “From Dusk Till Dawn.”

by Anonymousreply 45March 31, 2024 3:36 PM

R37 Look who’s talking now isn’t on there. It’s Look who’s talking 2.

by Anonymousreply 46March 31, 2024 4:09 PM

Amy Heckerling didn’t direct Looks who’s talking now.

by Anonymousreply 47March 31, 2024 4:09 PM

Ok, Teacunt. Whichever one was on there.

You’re definitely white, no black person has ever watched any look who’s talking movies

by Anonymousreply 48March 31, 2024 4:25 PM

When Teacunt smokes meth, he hallucinates that his stuffed animals talk to him in the voices of Danny DeVito and Diane Keaton.

by Anonymousreply 49March 31, 2024 4:28 PM

[quote]They always put the stupidest stuff on these

I finally stopped giving Rolling Stone any clicks for their deliberate enragement farming.

by Anonymousreply 50March 31, 2024 4:33 PM

R48 You ignorant ass race baiter. I’m a millenial who was born in 1988. That shit was a kids movie that we watched in school, Friday night sleepovers, and Church events. You sound ridiculous. Me and all my black siblings and black friends watched that shit on cable mad nuff growing up. I’m from NW DC by way of Brooklyn. Don’t ever come for me again.

by Anonymousreply 51March 31, 2024 4:38 PM

I think all of these lists are compiled by under35 would-be hipsters, some of whom probably weren't even born contemporaneously with ANY of the subjects of the lists, nor do they have any knowledge of history. Nothing exists other than what they've experienced. So much history lost in the world of today's youngins.

The gay music one surely was. And some silly list (not sure it was RS) of important gay and lesbian lit was even MORE ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 52March 31, 2024 4:38 PM

R49 #MentalHealth

by Anonymousreply 53March 31, 2024 4:40 PM

[quote] Don’t ever come for me again.—TeacakeRises

Or what? You're gonna sic your DT gremlins on us?

by Anonymousreply 54March 31, 2024 4:41 PM

Isn't it funny how all of Teacunt's posts have exactly one W&W and they usually happen immediately after he posts them.

by Anonymousreply 55March 31, 2024 4:42 PM

R54 who is us. I’m talking to YOU bitch. Stop trying to speak for all of DL. Fkin narcissist.

by Anonymousreply 56March 31, 2024 4:42 PM

Actually, you weren't talking to me, as I wasn't the one who posted that. Get it through your thick, drug addled skull, Teafuck. No one on here likes you. We all think you're a fucking annoying gnat that needs to repeatedly be slapped down.

by Anonymousreply 57March 31, 2024 4:45 PM

R55 I have never W&W my own self. I never do that wack ass shit. And I’ve seen some of my comments have multiple likes, for example my Road House post.

by Anonymousreply 58March 31, 2024 4:50 PM

R57 You are such a megalomaniac. You don’t know everyone here so your statement is false. I’m just glad you are showing your sociopathic ways for all on the site to see.

by Anonymousreply 59March 31, 2024 4:51 PM

Sweetheart, you've been repeatedly banned from here under multiple screen names. If you think I have the power to do that on my own, you're even more delusional than we all take you for. Think about it. Put the fucking meth pipe down for five minutes and try to utilize what brain cells you have left and ask yourself- Why do I keep getting thrown off of here?

by Anonymousreply 60March 31, 2024 4:54 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!