Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Pence refuses to endorse Trump in 2024

Mike Pence said on Friday that he would not endorse Donald Trump for president in 2024, breaking with the man who tapped him as vice president only to make him the target of an angry mob for his refusal to help with efforts to overturn the 2020 election.

“It should come as no surprise that I will not be endorsing Donald Trump this year,” Pence told Fox News.

The former vice president ran against Trump for the Republican nomination this cycle but bowed out of the race months before voting began after failing to gain any traction with voters.

Pence becomes the most prominent Republican to date to say he will not back Trump in the 2024 election. Other Trump skeptics, including Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, have announced that they will back the presumptive nominee.

Republican Sen. Todd Young, also from Pence’s home state of Indiana, has said he will not support Trump’s candidacy.

Asked about his decision, Pence said it was driven by more than just anger over the riots at the Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021, during which Trump-backing protestors called for his hanging.

“I’m incredibly proud of the record of our administration,” said Pence. “But that being said, during my presidential campaign, I made it clear there were profound differences between me and President Trump on a range of issues. And not just our differences on our constitutional duties that I exercised on Jan. 6.”

Among those issues that Pence cited as Trump heresies included the national debt, his unwillingness to take a position on abortion restrictions and his recent reversal on banning Chinese ownership of the social media app TikTok.

“In each of these cases,” said Pence, “Donald Trump is pursuing and articulating an agenda that is at odds with the conservative agenda that we governed on during our four years.”

Pence declined to say how he would vote in November, save to rule out the current president.

"I'm gonna keep my vote to myself,” he said. “I would never vote for Joe Biden."

A Trump campaign spokesperson did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Pence was never a serious factor in the presidential primary, dropping out in October amid weak polling and fundraising.

But his refusal to endorse Trump was reflective of a broader challenge the former president may have in winning over more traditionalist Republicans in November. A steady voice in the conservative movement for years as a House member and Indiana governor, Pence in 2016 endorsed Texas Sen. Ted Cruz in the presidential primary, before embracing Trump.

When he did, it helped to legitimize Trump’s smash-mouth politics and connect them to the party’s mainstream. And when Trump picked him to be his running mate, many members of the party’s old establishment were relieved.

But Pence's resistance to Trump’s effort to overturn the results of the 2020 election infuriated many in the party's base, crippling his political aspirations as he broke with the former president.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16March 28, 2024 2:48 AM

You know, I remember feeling something almost like sympathy for Pence in the Jan. 6th aftermath.

But then he opens his mouth and explains his motivations and I am reminded why it's always a mistake to confuse vulnerability with humanity in Republicans.

by Anonymousreply 1March 15, 2024 11:54 PM

R1, I would say that his explanation is, in fact, both useful and (in context) moral. Trump is not a true conservative, and Pence is putting his money where his mouth is by pointing that out.

"I'm not going to vote for him because he tried to fucking kill me" is easily dismissed as chickenshittery.

Pence is signaling to hardcore conservatives to remind them that Trump is simply a grifter.

by Anonymousreply 2March 16, 2024 12:04 AM

Mein orange Fuhrer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3March 16, 2024 12:05 AM

Trump doesn't need conservatives, theres more haters than will ever realize-Right here where we live,Right here is St. Louis!

by Anonymousreply 4March 16, 2024 12:10 AM

MAGATS and Deplorables don't give a shit if Pence doesn't endorse Trump.

They'd just as soon see him dead, for all they care.

by Anonymousreply 5March 16, 2024 1:12 AM

"Pence won't endorse Trump"- its early Mary and NO ONE believes anything this walking institution of hypocrisy says. When it comes down to heating your million dollar monstrosity in Indian in the winter you will say anything or do you have another book idea to surpass the brilliance of "So help me God" I got one for ya- "Mike Pence: The Little Prick Wasn't Hung After All"

by Anonymousreply 6March 16, 2024 1:13 AM

Pence asked Dan Quayle if it would be possible for him to reject the electors from states Biden had won and Quayle said no. Think about that for a second. Instead of rejecting the idea out of hand, he asked Quayle if he had it in his power to do this and get away with it. Don't forget that he didn't speak up during the ten weeks Trump spent trying to overturn the election. I am 100% certain that Pence wouldn't have resigned if Trump had managed to steal the election. He would have remained in DC as part of America's first authoritarian government. He's scum.

by Anonymousreply 7March 16, 2024 1:26 AM

This thread should be printed out, copied times one million and showered over that tacky Pence Mc-Mansion in Indiana.

by Anonymousreply 8March 16, 2024 2:15 AM

Only reason Trump picked him is he sat there and tolerated being treated like shit then make excuses for Dump. He believed he could become some big success being with Dump.I'm so glad his own bad decisions lead him right where he deserves to be in the shit can of history.

by Anonymousreply 9March 16, 2024 2:22 AM

It felt so good watching Kamala and her husband wave goodbye to the Pences as they were driven away from Capitol on Inauguration Day. Good fucking riddance.

by Anonymousreply 10March 16, 2024 3:17 AM

R2, Pence isn’t a true conservative either. Like Trump, he’s also a radical. It’s just that he’s a Cristo-Fascist, and Trump is a Trumpo-Fascist.

by Anonymousreply 11March 16, 2024 3:29 AM

Mike Pence is a fucking pussy.

by Anonymousreply 12March 16, 2024 3:53 AM

Oh look.. Another Trump thread.

by Anonymousreply 13March 16, 2024 4:37 AM

Can we all F&F R13 repeatedly here and elsewhere?

by Anonymousreply 14March 16, 2024 10:10 PM

Chris Christie has the No Labels invitation to be its standard bearer for fear that his candidacy might help Trump win. With such a divided republican party, a party not so divided since Goldwater’s doomed candidacy, I am increasingly bullish on Biden’s chances.

by Anonymousreply 15March 28, 2024 2:45 AM

^ declined

by Anonymousreply 16March 28, 2024 2:48 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!