Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

NYC Street Photographer Stanley Stellar gets big show

Says he's GAY, not queer, thank you very much.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12May 5, 2024 2:22 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1May 4, 2024 12:09 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2May 4, 2024 12:13 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3May 4, 2024 12:26 PM

That one buried the lede.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4May 4, 2024 12:50 PM

another

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5May 4, 2024 12:52 PM

nipples

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6May 4, 2024 12:54 PM

I'm fascinated by this era and would love to see this exhibit! Hopefully there'll be another showing and/or more online.

I'm happy that there seems to be a resurgence of interest in gay Manhattan in the late 70s and early 80s, particularly now that survivors of the plague are telling their stories before they die (thankfully of old age and not AIDs). There's a Facebook group for Gay New York of the 70s and it has been a real joy and a simultaneously heartbreaking read as these courageous men detail living through it all and with receipts in many cases. Someone posted a picture of the original hand-lettered sign for the dress code at The Mineshaft and it was one of those pieces of art that you can see while everything has changed, nothing has changed; it was even dated late 1976 with the clear advanced notice that the code wouldn't take effect until 1978. The stories these men tell are exhilarating. I can only imagine what it must have felt like living through what this taste of freedom felt like. The pictures, however, are all tinged by the looming pandemic and all that it cost the gay community specifically in New York but obviously world wide. It's impossible not to look into the eyes staring back at these cameras and not see more than was there, knowing.

I had dinner with my husband's two older brothers (middle brother straight, the eldest gay) quite a while ago when the topic of dream vacations came up. Hubby and I have traveled some and lived out several, but I surprised his older brother who lives in Manhattan still (moved there in 1980) when I said if I could set the time-space continuum aside, I'd love to go to Manhattan in the summer of 1978. I'd hang out at the piers, all the popular bars in Chelsea and HK, and go, at least once, to both Studio 54 and The Mineshaft. He said it wasn't all that and then we proceeded to have a half-hour discussion because it was all that; he said by the time he moved to NY it was only a few months before the announcement of GRID scaring everybody and the era came to an end, but oh, what a glorious few months it was.

by Anonymousreply 7May 4, 2024 3:07 PM

Did only beautiful boys hang out at the piers or were there fat, ugly men there?

by Anonymousreply 8May 4, 2024 3:13 PM

They were all gorgeous, R8, even the fat ugly ones.

by Anonymousreply 9May 4, 2024 3:25 PM

Why is it weird seeing blonds in NYC?

by Anonymousreply 10May 4, 2024 6:10 PM

It's interesting to see how grimy and rundown that neighborhood was back then. It 's so upscale now, with boutiques and apartments that cost millions.

by Anonymousreply 11May 4, 2024 6:29 PM

[quote]It's interesting to see how grimy and rundown that neighborhood was back then.

Gay men always moved into bad neighborhoods and made them better: the West Village, Chelsea, Hell’s Kitchen.

[quote] It 's so upscale now, with boutiques and apartments that cost millions.

You can thank Michael “middle class people don’t have a right to live in NYC” Bloomberg for that. In 12 years, he sanitized the entire city and sold out to every developer who wanted a piece of the action.

People always blame Rudy Guiliani, but he really only cleaned up Times Square. During his administration, the Meat Packing neighborhood was still deserted. The West Village began to be flooded with wealthy NYU students which drove up rents and forced gay culture up into Chelsea. Then Chelsea Market became a tourist spot which attracted Google to the neighborhood and that pushed gay culture further north into Hell’s Kitchen.

by Anonymousreply 12May 5, 2024 2:22 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!