Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

All these protests on college campuses

How many are actually students and how many just showed up as agitators?

by Anonymousreply 46May 7, 2024 6:00 PM

I wondered that as well, OP.

by Anonymousreply 1May 2, 2024 1:55 PM

I read that many of those arrested aren't even students there...

I am quite sick of hearing of these protests and arrests.

by Anonymousreply 2May 2, 2024 2:05 PM

All there little tents for camping out match. Someone supplied that shit.

by Anonymousreply 3May 2, 2024 2:07 PM

Mostly students. Some issue-specific outsiders and a few outsiders who just live for this shit like the “professional protester “ advising Columbia students how to seize a building.

by Anonymousreply 4May 2, 2024 2:11 PM

Someone is trying to vomit up 1968 all over again, which resulted in the election of the lawless tonsil stone Nixon. I vote Roger Stone as the puppeteer of these marionettes.

by Anonymousreply 5May 2, 2024 2:42 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6May 2, 2024 3:15 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7May 2, 2024 3:20 PM

I work at a university that has protests going on. So many outsiders. And so many spoiled kids with nothing better to do at the end of the term.

by Anonymousreply 8May 2, 2024 3:22 PM

NEW YORK CITY — Nearly half of protesters arrested in crackdowns on pro-Palestine encampment protests across Columbia and City College of New York didn't go to either school, according to reports, citing unnamed NYPD sources.

Police sources told CNN and New York Post that 134 individuals of 282 total protesters had no affiliation with either school, the outlets reported Thursday.

The definite figures reported came after a whirlwind media blitz in which reporters appeared to agitate Mayor Eric Adams with a simple question: how many "outside agitators" — his and the schools' main justification for deploying the NYPD — were arrested during the Tuesday night raids.

Adams had varying answers.

"It appears as though over 40 percent of those who participated in Columbia and CUNY were not from the school and they were outsiders," he said on NPR.

by Anonymousreply 9May 2, 2024 4:18 PM

"Nearly half" weren't means the majority were affiliated. I think we all know Iran and others encourage this crap. And old leftist anarchists who never matured also show up. But the students still are responsible for their actions just as January 6th folks were. The ones who didn't leave when asked should be expelled.

by Anonymousreply 10May 2, 2024 4:25 PM

When you have millions of people that majored in “social justice” and other majors that brainwash people into thinking they have to find reasons to protest every day, this is what we get. We basically have perpetual protesting in this country. It will continue forever.

Most of these people don’t have real jobs because who the hell is going to hire someone with 12 face piercings, purple hair and an Anthropology degree?

by Anonymousreply 11May 2, 2024 4:41 PM

At UCLA they asked point blank the people being arrested if they were students, their major, the works - they’re students.

by Anonymousreply 12May 2, 2024 4:43 PM

This is pretty much a continuation of the BLM protests and destruction. Everyone wants to virtue signal and have a fun time. Anything to get away from their dull lives. This gives the emotionally unstable meaning in their lives. They also want to be morally superior to everyone else, you know, all you complicit bastards who have lives and actually work for a living.

by Anonymousreply 13May 2, 2024 4:45 PM

"She doesn't even go here!"

by Anonymousreply 14May 2, 2024 4:48 PM

Good excuse not to study, and they’ll probably get a “participation A.”

by Anonymousreply 15May 2, 2024 6:45 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16May 2, 2024 10:33 PM

More than 2,000 people have been arrested or detained on campuses across the country.

by Anonymousreply 17May 2, 2024 10:35 PM

Of the fools arrested at Portland state, only 4 of them were actual students.

by Anonymousreply 18May 2, 2024 10:38 PM

Saw my first protest in person today, a college on the UES. It was everything you could have imagined. Lots of awkwards and uggos - lots of purple/pink/yellow hair, septum rings, quite a few morbidly obese women in too small tank tops with belly fat showing, the guys majorly unattractive and nerdy, I'm sure more than a few identify as non-binary. All definitely fit a 'type' and are almost assuredly not representative of the student body (if they were students at all, who knows). You get the feeling they were in it for the fad, shouted all the same chants we've all heard before. I'm sure they'll be on to a different cause in a year.

There were a few Jews on the other side of the street kind of aghast at the whole thing as they held up hostage/Hamas are rapists posters.

by Anonymousreply 19May 2, 2024 10:42 PM

[quote] Every bullet point in this list is true. But it's also complicated. There are no heroes in any of this, only victims on both sides, and plenty of blame to go around.

[quote] The situation isn't the binary black/white, good/bad the American psyche is culturally programed for. 3/

[quote] By picking either "side," you're forcing yourself to ignore many decades of baggage and history that brought us here, as well as very contemporary examples of atrocities committed by the "side" you do support.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20May 2, 2024 10:43 PM

[quote] The only people benefiting politically are Hamas, Netanyahu, and Putin,

Hello?

by Anonymousreply 21May 2, 2024 10:56 PM

R3, no matter what you think of the protesters it’s not hard ordering cheap tents from Amazon.

by Anonymousreply 22May 2, 2024 11:04 PM

R9, I’m sure that everyone will be shocked to hear that Adams is wrong, at least concerning Columbia. The actual police information shows that about 29% of the people who were arrested were not affiliated with the school.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23May 2, 2024 11:32 PM

The Police Department list showed that most of the more than 100 people arrested in the sweep of Hamilton Hall and other parts of campus on Tuesday evening were in their late 20s, white and female. The average age was 27; more than half were women.

Of course.

by Anonymousreply 24May 2, 2024 11:46 PM

And most were nonbinary autistics with peanut allergies

by Anonymousreply 25May 3, 2024 3:37 AM

Really grossed out by the faculty members participating. Grow the fuck up.

by Anonymousreply 26May 3, 2024 3:59 AM

Stats

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27May 3, 2024 4:06 AM

Those same numbers were already mentioned by r9 and replied to. No surprise that most Columbia protestors were students. Thugs.

by Anonymousreply 28May 3, 2024 4:15 AM

R26 They are probably the type of professors who like to be chummy with students.

by Anonymousreply 29May 6, 2024 1:11 AM

The whole "outside agitator" thing is a way of delegitimizing a cause. They said that about people protesting in the South during the civil rights movement and the Minneapolis mayor made that false claim at the very beginning of the George Floyd protests. I don't now if that really matters. Are the civilian deaths in Gaza any less excessive because some the protestors aren't attending UCLA, Columbia, etc? The focus on the protests themselves seem like a way avoiding the real issue.

You're overestimating the cost of a tent, r3.

by Anonymousreply 30May 6, 2024 2:35 AM

#11, don't forget Afrocentric schools which teach Rosa Parks, German Shepherds, firehoses and MLK, Jr. all day long.

by Anonymousreply 31May 6, 2024 6:43 AM

"Are the civilian deaths in Gaza any less excessive because some the protestors aren't attending UCLA, Columbia, etc? "

No, but the civilian deaths in Gaza aren't being caused by college administrators in middle America, either. The protests are just performative BS by kids, professors and some outsiders who want to appear like they are doing something without actually getting on a plane to Gaza to go help their professed cause.

by Anonymousreply 32May 6, 2024 12:32 PM

The vast majority of those arrested have been proven TO BE STUDENTS

[quote]didn't go to either school,according to reports, citing unnamed NYPD

Hey, R9 - I have some shocking news for you. COPS ARE NOTORIOUS LIARS

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33May 6, 2024 7:27 PM

It very much depends on the school, R33. At CUNY the majority arrested were non-students. At Columbia, most were students.

by Anonymousreply 34May 6, 2024 7:34 PM

On the evening news today, a student at the University of Chicago was berating the university administration for being "cowards" for not doing exactly what the student wanted with respect to the Gaza situation. As the student said it, he was wearing a mask so that he couldn't be identified and disciplined for university policy or law violations. So brave to call others cowards while wearing a mask! I guess they don't teach what "irony" is at the U of C.

by Anonymousreply 35May 6, 2024 11:38 PM

A lot of these kids have never known real hardship. It's a shock to them that there are consequences for breaking the rules (and the law if they refuse to leave when trespassed).

by Anonymousreply 36May 6, 2024 11:41 PM

[quote] What would you know about graduation ceremonies?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37May 7, 2024 1:17 AM

At my alma mater, there was an encampment that was cleared by the police. It got a fair amount of media coverage. When I looked at the pictures of the protest and encampment, maybe there were 200-250 protesters at its peak. There are more than 40,000 students at this university plus another 10,000 faculty, staff, administrators and hourly workers. What percentage is 250 out of 50,000? This is to say the protesters represented a tiny portion of the overall university community and this is true everywhere else.

Yet because they have attempted to relentlessly bully and intimidate the universities and their crazed tactics have generated a huge media event, they have made it seem like they have outsize influence and made it appear as though they speak for a majority on campus when they certainly do not.

by Anonymousreply 38May 7, 2024 1:25 AM

R23 that nearly 1/3 of the protesters at Columbia were not students or affiliated with the university does seem to be a larger number.

by Anonymousreply 39May 7, 2024 1:28 AM

[quote]Hey, [R9] - I have some shocking news for you. COPS ARE NOTORIOUS LIARS

So are Hamas and their apologists.

Ironic, no?

by Anonymousreply 40May 7, 2024 3:04 AM

Are outside protesters illegal?

by Anonymousreply 41May 7, 2024 5:37 PM

by Anonymousreply 42May 7, 2024 5:37 PM

by Anonymousreply 43May 7, 2024 5:37 PM

by Anonymousreply 44May 7, 2024 5:37 PM

Burp

by Anonymousreply 45May 7, 2024 5:38 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46May 7, 2024 6:00 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!