Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Columbia University faculty ‘horrified’ by mass arrests of student protesters

Columbia University faculty say they are “horrified” by Tuesday night’s arrests of students by New York police following the occupation of an academic building, Hamilton Hall, by students protesting for the university to divest from Israel.

Just after 9.30pm on Tuesday night, NYPD buses parked outside the hall were filled with arrested students who were transported away from campus.

Bassam Khawaja, a lecturer at Columbia law school, said on Wednesday that he was “horrified to see Columbia invite police onto our campus for the second time this month to arrest our students”.

“Columbia has chosen escalation at every turn here, with disastrous results,” Khawaja said. “The administration said that the protests were a disruption and presented safety risks, but it is the administration itself that has disrupted campus life by locking us out, relocating or postponing students’ exams, bringing in police to arrest students, and inviting police to remain on campus for the next two weeks until graduation.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9May 2, 2024 4:52 AM

The reality is that Columbia gave the students every opportunity to leave. Thankfully students that actually care about their education can study for exams now.

by Anonymousreply 1May 2, 2024 2:07 AM

I wonder when the Ivy Leagues are going to realize that regular people have started to hate them.

by Anonymousreply 2May 2, 2024 2:08 AM

Columbia students and faculty live in such a bubble that to even regular NY liberals they come off as bizarre and out of touch with reality.

by Anonymousreply 3May 2, 2024 2:10 AM

The Columbia faculty can go fuck themselves. The student demonstrators were acting like bigoted, racist, nasty, arrogant little pricks who were not peacefully protesting, they were harassing, threatening, and bullying Jewish students and faculty and anyone who they deemed unacceptable. These people are trying desperately to recreate the 1960s.

by Anonymousreply 4May 2, 2024 2:26 AM

[quote] Bassam Khawaja

Next!

by Anonymousreply 5May 2, 2024 2:34 AM

well said, r4

by Anonymousreply 6May 2, 2024 4:08 AM

R2, as a regular person I can say I've hated the Ivy's and their privileged asshole students for most of my life.

by Anonymousreply 7May 2, 2024 4:15 AM

[quote] [R2], as a regular person I can say I've hated the Ivy's and their privileged asshole students for most of my life.

Because of your punctuation deficiencies?

by Anonymousreply 8May 2, 2024 4:17 AM

Oh, the humanity!

by Anonymousreply 9May 2, 2024 4:52 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!