Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Lucille Ball 1970's Solitaire Commercial

Gary TRIED to talk Lucy out of doing it but failed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28May 11, 2024 2:35 AM

I believe that this was the project Lucy chose instead of taking the Mrs. Robinson part in The Graduate. Since she was still on a regular series at the time she had only so much time for outside projects and she really believed in Solotaire so she turned down Nichols.

by Anonymousreply 1May 2, 2024 12:24 AM

She was originally supposed to do a commercial for Marlboro, but then the cigarette advertising ban went into effect, and that was that.

by Anonymousreply 2May 2, 2024 12:47 AM

See what they did there? They changed a letter so it went from meaning “one person” to meaning “one person”.

clever

by Anonymousreply 3May 2, 2024 12:51 AM

Lucille did commercials for Soloflex? No wonder that her throat seemed so ripped.

by Anonymousreply 4May 2, 2024 12:52 AM

R1- Was Lucy really considered for the part of Mrs. Robinson?

I know- you're going to tell me yes but Gary talked her out of it.

by Anonymousreply 5May 2, 2024 12:53 AM

Why was she offered all those dramatic roles? The Manchurian Candidate? The Graduate?

by Anonymousreply 6May 2, 2024 12:54 AM

Even for the commercial, you used Lucy’s “Vaseline on the lens” filter to hide her wrinkles

by Anonymousreply 7May 2, 2024 12:58 AM

Being on some random list of actresses tossed around by a production team does not a role, or offer, make.

by Anonymousreply 8May 2, 2024 1:01 AM

"Black Bart you are now the second best Solotaire player. Now get me a goddamn drink and a cig!"

by Anonymousreply 9May 2, 2024 1:19 AM

They sell on eBay for around $15.00 (plus shipping).

by Anonymousreply 10May 2, 2024 1:21 AM

I've never heard of it before.

by Anonymousreply 11May 9, 2024 9:05 PM

Lucy and Lucie did a Summer's Breeze ad that was supposed to air during the Miss America pageant ("Mom, sometimes I don't feel so fresh... 'down there'"). Never aired.

by Anonymousreply 12May 9, 2024 9:13 PM

This must be where Sarah Jessica Parker got the inspiration to do commercials for solitaire grand harvest!

by Anonymousreply 13May 9, 2024 9:17 PM

Did Lucy also turn down the part of Helen Lawson in "Valley of the Dolls?" What a hoot it would have been for Lucy to lecture Desi Jr.'s future girlfriend about BOOZE and DOPE!

by Anonymousreply 14May 9, 2024 9:25 PM

We had this game, it was really fun, and you can play it in the car....unlike Pivot Pool!

by Anonymousreply 15May 9, 2024 11:59 PM

I saw Lucy in Mother Courage at the Burt Reynolds’s Theatre in Jupiter FL.

by Anonymousreply 16May 10, 2024 12:05 AM

My grandmother would spend hours in the kitchen playing solitaire, that is how I could get away with watching the Late Show with Joan Rivers and the Dr. Ruth show.

by Anonymousreply 17May 10, 2024 4:24 AM

I paused it at 0:22 & still can't figure out what she was trying to accomplish.

Can someone tell me what greatness she achieved there?

I see see has a bunch of Jacks but the rest is just a mess.

by Anonymousreply 18May 10, 2024 5:16 AM

I’m surprised she didn’t shill backgammon sets. She loved that game.

by Anonymousreply 19May 10, 2024 5:30 AM

She's trying to make a poker hand in each row and column, R18. The four jacks in the fourth column is four of a kind, she has a flush in the top row, and the ace of spades gave her a royal flush in the bottom row. I'm surprised they didn't move the 8 of diamonds on the left corner to the right corner so she'd have a straight in the fifth column. Guess they didn't want Lucy's win to be too lopsided.

by Anonymousreply 20May 10, 2024 1:52 PM

R14- Was she really considered for the role of Helen Lawson?

You're going to say yes and but that Gary talked her out of it.

by Anonymousreply 21May 10, 2024 2:39 PM

I wanted to hear her warble the Neil Sedaka/Carpenters song

by Anonymousreply 22May 10, 2024 5:47 PM

It’s tasteless too.

by Anonymousreply 23May 10, 2024 5:49 PM

And yet here we are 50+ years later watching it.

I'm actually intrigued. Is the game more enjoyable than regular solitaire?

by Anonymousreply 24May 10, 2024 5:54 PM

Why was she doing commercials? She needed the money?

Did Gary gamble all her money away like all the husbands of famous actresses? Why do they never know this until years after they marry them? Nobody knows these men are grifting compulsive gamblers? They must have hidden charms.

by Anonymousreply 25May 10, 2024 6:04 PM

Black Bart looks like he could throw a savage fuck.

by Anonymousreply 26May 10, 2024 6:51 PM

[quote]Why was she doing commercials?

With Gary hanging around the house all day, she needed a reason to get out of the house.

by Anonymousreply 27May 10, 2024 10:17 PM

R20 Thanks for the kind & thoughtful reply.

Now that you mentioned the Poker angle, it makes more sense.

by Anonymousreply 28May 11, 2024 2:35 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!