Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Another year, another classic Kate Bush song trending

This time it's "Army Dreamers."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29May 3, 2024 1:14 PM

Babooshka is also ripe for revival.

Would that some of her lesser works were 'rediscovered' instead. The Dreaming album is a masterpiece.

by Anonymousreply 1May 1, 2024 9:55 PM

I find The Dreaming a rather difficult, abrasive listen. Although it’s certainly creative. Generally I prefer her music (and singing style) from Hounds on Love onward. Army Dreamers is a great little song though, and so is Breathing, which follows it.

by Anonymousreply 2May 1, 2024 10:01 PM

[quote] Army Dreamers is a great little song though, and so is Breathing, which follows it.

They were both on Never for Ever which I love. Agree that The Dreaming can be a bit of a challenging listen.

by Anonymousreply 3May 1, 2024 10:07 PM

22 when she released Army Dreamers. Her age equivalent to that is Billie Eilish.

No wonder Gen Z are bored and looking to the past.

by Anonymousreply 4May 1, 2024 10:07 PM

R2, you reminded me of my school friend Neil, and his review of The Dreaming when I lent him my copy: "It's all screams and sheep."

He didn't love it.

by Anonymousreply 5May 1, 2024 10:30 PM

I will not let you in

I face towards the wind

I change into the Mule...

HEE HAW! HEE HAW! HEE HAW!!!!!!!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6May 1, 2024 10:34 PM

Thank you, R6.

'Suspended in Gaffa'- fucking genius!

by Anonymousreply 7May 1, 2024 10:36 PM

Suddenly my feet are feet of mud

It all goes slo-mo

I don't know why I'm crying

Am I suspended in Gaffa?

Not until I'm ready for you,

Not until I'm ready for you

Can I have it all?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8May 1, 2024 11:32 PM

HOUNDS OF LOVE will forever be close to my heart.

by Anonymousreply 9May 2, 2024 12:35 AM

Who now?

by Anonymousreply 10May 2, 2024 12:37 AM

Everybody thinks you'll never make it

But every time you escape

'Rosabel believe,

Not even eternity

Can hold Houdini!'

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11May 2, 2024 1:15 AM

All the Love is the only track on The Dreaming I don't rate.

Sandwiched between Night of the Swallow and Houdini, it limps.

by Anonymousreply 12May 2, 2024 5:16 PM

She deserves every bit of recognition. Her ethereal music is timeless.

by Anonymousreply 13May 2, 2024 6:46 PM

Kate is one of the few older female musicians who is arguable more popular now than she was when she was at her height. Nina Simone is another one.

by Anonymousreply 14May 2, 2024 6:49 PM

This one is my favorite.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15May 2, 2024 6:51 PM

I sent this to my friend a few years ago. She just started laughing and said "what?". But it's really a great song!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16May 2, 2024 6:54 PM

And to show some love for her b-sides. This is 2 minutes of perfection.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17May 2, 2024 7:38 PM

Later Kate.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18May 2, 2024 7:48 PM

I love this- even though I wasn't even born yet!

by Anonymousreply 19May 2, 2024 7:52 PM

R19

by Anonymousreply 20May 2, 2024 10:26 PM

Same, R19!!

by Anonymousreply 21May 3, 2024 6:44 AM

Has Cloudbusting had its revival moment yet?

Such a beautiful, poignant song based on such bizarre historical wackness. I remember going down the rabbit hole when learning what it was about. Pure aspie song-craft at its finest

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22May 3, 2024 7:31 AM

[quote]Kate is one of the few older female musicians who is arguable more popular now than she was when she was at her height.

Oh she is not R14. Kate Bush was massive world presence in the late seventies and all through the eighties/early nineties. The attention and recognition she's receiving as a vintage act right now is in no way comparable to that time period.

Army Dreamers is a stunning song. She has so many. One of my absolutely favourites is Dream of Sheep. Like someone said above; Babushka is ripe for a comeback too. Wuthering Heights had a comeback in the mid eighties when she released The Whole Story. All of the songs on The Whole Story are superb.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23May 3, 2024 7:41 AM

She rerecorded And Dream of Sheep and made a video some years later but her voice had aged and wasn't as sharp as the Hounds of Love version. Interesting to see her vision of the song told in the video.

"This is a special piece of film to accompany the release of the live single ‘And Dream Of Sheep’. The vocal was performed live while filming Kate lying in the huge water tank at Pinewood Studios. This was to create a sense of realism, as the character in the song is lost at sea. However it became more realistic than Kate had imagined. She spent so long in the water during the first day of filming that she contracted mild hypothermia. She recovered after a day off and carried on filming. Everyone agreed it had added to the authenticity of the performance. This film was then projected onto a large oval screen which hung above the stage during the performances of her live show".

I would love to see her in concert but that will never happen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24May 3, 2024 7:46 AM

Cloudbusting deserves more credit, I think it’s probably her greatest song. Filled with energy and sheer joy!

by Anonymousreply 25May 3, 2024 8:06 AM

Cloudbusting is amazing R25. The video is very good too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26May 3, 2024 10:49 AM

All of the headlines said, "Passion Crime"

Newly-weds,

Groom shot dead,

Mystery man,

God help the bride

She's a widow, all in red with his red still wet…

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27May 3, 2024 11:34 AM

R23, I disagree. I know she was famous in the 70s and 80s but the success she has on streaming services with Running Up that Hill exceeds any of the singles success she achieved back then. Music is more global now than it was then and the song is now more well known than it was previously. To put things into perspective, it has more streams than any Madonna song and a similar amount to I Wanna Dance With Somebody and Girls Just Wanna have Fun. That's huge.

by Anonymousreply 28May 3, 2024 1:02 PM

Because of Stranger Things but it is a good song. Other songs of hers sound like cat scratch songs but maybe they'll be really good in the future, ahead of their time.

by Anonymousreply 29May 3, 2024 1:14 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!