Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tasteful Friends: David Jacobs' 80s mansion in LA

Or to be more specific, in the Hollywood Hills. The video:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19May 10, 2024 10:05 PM

A listing:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1May 1, 2024 3:28 PM

Whenever I see an LA house on a steep hillside and panoramic view of LA, I think Cielo Drive and crazy, knife-wielding groupies coming out of the shadows.

by Anonymousreply 2May 1, 2024 3:43 PM

Looks a little Miami-tacky.

by Anonymousreply 3May 1, 2024 3:48 PM

gasp (it's that bad). teardown

by Anonymousreply 4May 1, 2024 3:53 PM

Reminds me of Bette Midler and Danny DeVito's house in Ruthless People.

by Anonymousreply 5May 1, 2024 5:42 PM

I like the library where he has a desktop set up (with doors to a balcony).

The rest has too many weird angles to worry about decorating with.

by Anonymousreply 6May 9, 2024 9:36 PM

I love, LOVE, *LOVE* it! I wouldn't change a thing. I wish I had the money. I love that 80s Memphis style.

by Anonymousreply 7May 9, 2024 9:44 PM

I really love Post Modernism and Memphis. This house has a lot going for it architecturally, but most of the furnishings are too bland or just wrong - if you really lean heavily into some bold of the period art and furniture choices this place could be, as they said, rad - but otherwise it’s always going to be a mess - it only works as an intentionally over the top time capsule.

by Anonymousreply 8May 9, 2024 9:49 PM

Good God, what an eyesore. Memphis trash! It's a multi-million dollar teardown.

by Anonymousreply 9May 9, 2024 10:04 PM

Karen McKenzie, President of the Knots Landing HOA Board, would not approve.

by Anonymousreply 10May 9, 2024 10:04 PM

I wonder just how much 80s jizz was spent in that wrap-around pool. That must have been a boarding house for Santa Monica boys back then.

by Anonymousreply 11May 9, 2024 10:06 PM

Didn’t he own the ranch that was used as Greg Sumner’s home on Knots Landing? That was a lot more tasteful than this.

by Anonymousreply 12May 9, 2024 10:06 PM

The nicest thing that I can say is that indeed, it does look very much of its time.

by Anonymousreply 13May 9, 2024 10:08 PM

As with the house in Ruthless People, this must have been seen as tacky and ridiculous even then. It's a like a Nagel painting on acid.

by Anonymousreply 14May 9, 2024 10:11 PM

It might look okay, after a $30,000.00 paint job.

by Anonymousreply 15May 9, 2024 10:20 PM

R7 - never cared for Memphis style, but if you love it so much you should go visit a little museum in Mt Dora, FL (about 30 min north of Orlando) with a good collection including previously owned furniture by David Bowie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16May 9, 2024 10:59 PM

R16 thanks.

by Anonymousreply 17May 10, 2024 3:00 PM

And people accuse David Bowie of having had good taste!

That stuff is dreadful. If someone had a trashy grandmother who was a robot...

by Anonymousreply 18May 10, 2024 3:03 PM

It looks grungy and tattered.

by Anonymousreply 19May 10, 2024 10:05 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!