Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Blood Pressure

Extensive googling informs me that limiting my salt intake, engaging in regular exercise even if it’s only mild, staying hydrated, and practicing 4-7-8 breathing (inhale through the nose for a count of 4, hold the breath for a count of seven, exhale through the mouth for a count of 8) are all effective strategies to lower blood pressure.

Has anyone here 1) had high bp and 2) successfully combatted it without the use of medication? What did you do?

I turned out to be violently allergic to the medication a doc prescribed and when he took me off of it he never did anything else, but I did buy an Omron bp monitor, so I know mine’s back up.

by Anonymousreply 27May 2, 2024 4:09 AM

See another doctor OP. There are tons of different BP medications available.

Keep sodium intake around 1500 mgs per day, don’t drink, don’t smoke, if you’re fat, lose weight and walk at least 30 minutes a day. All are very doable but most people can’t and end up on meds.

by Anonymousreply 1May 1, 2024 1:39 PM

Thank you, R1. I’m presently 8 pounds over the top end of the “normal” weight range and walk a lot, no smoking and no drinking, but my love of sodium is hard to rein in and I’ve been lax lately.

I took a road trip through the southwest recently and ate primarily from the selections available at truck stops. I’d forgotten how nasty and wonderful junk food can be, but the bp monitor is telling me I can’t keep doing that.

by Anonymousreply 2May 1, 2024 2:08 PM

Lose weight, eat well exercise regularly but also make sure you're well rested and get enough sleep. The latter is often overlooked in high BP. Keep stress at a minimum, try yoga or meditation practices if needed.

by Anonymousreply 3May 1, 2024 2:11 PM

The big three lifestyle topics health-related issues - Diet, exercise, and sleep/rest - have huge impact. But,

There are several different classes of blood pressure meds with mulitple different versions within each category which lower blood pressure through different mechanisms - your doctor is a quack if he's only tried one and abandoned it. Additionally, many are used in combination for best results. Some of the more commonly used are:

Angiostensin receptor blockers (ARB); ACE Inhibitors; Beta Blockers; Calcium channel blockers

There are many other classes. We had a very detailed thread on this topic a while back. See if you can find it.

by Anonymousreply 4May 1, 2024 2:26 PM

And yet the Japanese eat many more times salt per day than the west and no one blinks an eye, it guess Japanese are superior and are much more advanced than the fat white European and Americans. They live a long time and consume vast amounts of salt? What's the problem in the west?

by Anonymousreply 5May 1, 2024 2:28 PM

[quote]Has anyone here 1) had high bp and 2) successfully combatted it without the use of medication?

1) Yes.

2) No.

by Anonymousreply 6May 1, 2024 2:30 PM

[quote]And yet the Japanese eat many more times salt per day than the west and no one blinks an eye, it guess Japanese are superior and are much more advanced than the fat white European and Americans.

Death by stomach cancer will likely kill you before death by cardiovascular disease.

[quote]Many Asian countries, including Korea, Japan and China, experience disproportionately high rates of stomach cancer, possibly due to high rates of infection with Helicobacter pylori — also known as H. pylori — and the increased consumption of salted and smoked foods.

Also, 1/3 of the population - "More than 40 million people are estimated to have hypertension in Japan" - have high blood pressure.

by Anonymousreply 7May 1, 2024 2:32 PM

Op are you a fat cunt? I just lost weight and my 200+ BP came down, if you are a fat pig, the main cause of high BP is fattiness, look it up and stop worrying about stupid salt.

by Anonymousreply 8May 1, 2024 2:37 PM

To which medication were you "violently allergic," OP?

by Anonymousreply 9May 1, 2024 4:54 PM

OP, ask your doctor if you can substitute potassium chloride for salt.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10May 1, 2024 5:03 PM

Hypertension can be genetic. I was diagnosed when I was 40 and skinny, the skinniest I’d been since high school.

by Anonymousreply 11May 1, 2024 6:14 PM

Only 1/3 of otherwise healthy adults are salt sensitive, OP. Meaning that 2/3 are not and sodium has no effect on their BP. Cutting salt won't necessarily lower your BP but you may not know until you try.

Eliminating or reducing alcohol can help, also exercise and weight loss. Some people have a genetic predisposition to HBP. Go to the doctor and get on pills; if you can lower it on your own your provider may taper off or reduce your dose. Also try to reduce stress and get enough sleep.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12May 1, 2024 6:22 PM

HIIT (High-Intensity Interval Training) works for me. Usually, 1 minute jog and 4 minute walk on a treadmill. I need to lose about 20lbs but have a hard time keeping it off. I'm on Metoprolol for blood pressure and Rosuvastatin for cholesterol but don't always take them if I can excercise regularly and keep my blood pressure down.

by Anonymousreply 13May 1, 2024 6:48 PM

Get on meds and take them every day. The end.

by Anonymousreply 14May 1, 2024 8:45 PM

I had a terrible reaction to the first BP med I was prescribed, but the subsequent meds over the years have given me no trouble. The meds work when coupled with common sense dietary changes.

by Anonymousreply 15May 1, 2024 9:13 PM

One hypothesis re Asian stomach cancer rate is excessive pickled foods.

by Anonymousreply 16May 1, 2024 10:35 PM

I have had some luck with beet juice, magnesium supplements and green tea. Way cheaper than meds

by Anonymousreply 17May 1, 2024 10:41 PM

Read this!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18May 1, 2024 10:50 PM

My mother had a stroke and I stressed out over that- on the day I was supposed to go visit her I had a stroke. I had been on metropolol and hydrochlorothiazide but it made me pass out in the bathroom at "Not Your Average Joes". Bad side effect. Since the stroke (thankfully minor) I'm on inderal and HCTZ, baby aspirin and rovustatin. I'm not a fat pig, I could stand to lose about 20 lbs. I'm back on the exercise bike and stopped salting my pizza. Try a different medication. You don't want to know how horrible it is to wake up and your left leg won't work. So one vote for genetics. PS my mom didn't make it.

by Anonymousreply 19May 1, 2024 11:01 PM

Addendum to R19 - my BP is now way down, nice and normal range. I check every day. The first thing I tried, the metropolol, did nothing.

by Anonymousreply 20May 1, 2024 11:10 PM

Sorry, R19.

by Anonymousreply 21May 1, 2024 11:37 PM

Consume less politics. Don’t argue online. Pick a hobby back up. Volunteer. Listen to birds singing.

by Anonymousreply 22May 1, 2024 11:54 PM

It was Losartan, R9. It produced the most intense pain I’ve ever felt and I lost 5 pounds over three days.

by Anonymousreply 23May 2, 2024 12:27 AM

R19, I am sorry to hear all that. I posted at R21, but didn't have much time to elaborate. That's really scary that you had a stroke on the same day. A lot of us could stand to lose 20 pounds and it sounds like you are taking the bull by the horns. I wish you luck and success in making all of these changes.

by Anonymousreply 24May 2, 2024 1:46 AM

[quote] Hypertension can be genetic. I was diagnosed when I was 40 and skinny, the skinniest I’d been since high school.

Was diagnosed in my 30s when I was in good shape.

by Anonymousreply 25May 2, 2024 2:50 AM

I take Losartan. Have never felt an intense pain and I certainly haven’t lost any weight on it.

by Anonymousreply 26May 2, 2024 3:39 AM

Since last June, I’ve lost 30 pounds and walk everyday for 75 minutes. I’m 54 and a smaller fattie than what I used to be.

The doc took my blood pressure yesterday: 120/80.

The best it’s ever been, I guess. I am also taking the tiny aspirin every day. It seems to be going well so far.

I hardly ever eat out and salt the food only when I’m cooking it.

by Anonymousreply 27May 2, 2024 4:09 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!