Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

If you like Edward Hopper, what’s your favorite painting?

I have three favorites- “Automat”, “New York Movie”, the one with the female movie usher standing off to the side, and “Chop Suey,” the one with two women at the - what else?- Chop Suey restaurant. But think I’ll go with “Automat”.

Are you a cityscape fan or prefer his Cape Cod or Southwestern paintings?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13May 1, 2024 8:29 PM

I have a framed poster of Nighthawks hanging over my computer in my home office.

by Anonymousreply 1April 30, 2024 11:55 PM

New York Movie

by Anonymousreply 2April 30, 2024 11:58 PM

𝐄𝐚𝐫𝐥𝐲 𝐒𝐮𝐧𝐝𝐚𝐲 𝐌𝐨𝐫𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐠 (1930)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3May 1, 2024 5:35 PM

I used to have a framed print of New York Movie.

by Anonymousreply 4May 1, 2024 5:43 PM

Summer Evening

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5May 1, 2024 5:45 PM

𝐆𝐚𝐬 (1940) is probably my second favorite.

The road that disappears into the darkness is so creepy!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6May 1, 2024 5:45 PM

Nighthawks

by Anonymousreply 7May 1, 2024 5:47 PM

It’s hard to choose. Love this train painting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8May 1, 2024 6:10 PM

Nighthawks

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9May 1, 2024 6:24 PM

New York Corner (Corner Saloon) (1913) might be my top pick. Still privately owned, too. It's an early work but clearly exhibits his classic style and the theme of American loneliness which I think is so important to understanding the U.S. -- and few understood it better than him.

Early Sunday Morning (1930) is a great choice. Where NY Corner is well peopled if not exactly a jolly crowd, Early Sunday Morning removes the human equation and still comes up with that still lonely quality in spades.

Nighthawks (1942) is the best and most emblematic if I had to save one for posterity. Though to hang on my wall, I'd pick either of the others, both some strong that you can never see them and not picture in you mind a contrast with Nighthawks

Illustration: New York Corner

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10May 1, 2024 7:44 PM

Ground Swell, obviously.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11May 1, 2024 8:11 PM

R6 Gas is my absolute favorite because it reminds me of the road I grew up on, lol. I grew up on a (literal) dead-end dirt road that went uphill past my house for a bit and then turned left where it ended in a circle turn around area.

When I see this painting, it reminds me of riding bikes outside my house in the evening in summer and looking up the road and seeing it darken around the curve and the sunlight coming in through the trees. I had such a blast growing up there and this painting makes me smile.

by Anonymousreply 12May 1, 2024 8:23 PM

Gas, Sunday, Early Sunday Morning and From Williamsburg Bridge are my favorites. I love the emptiness and simplicity in this one. Just one person visible.

The water ones and Cape Cod houses never did much for me, but they are lovely.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13May 1, 2024 8:29 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!