Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tasteful Friends - House formerly owned by W.C. Fields on sale for $15M

I think it's fabulous. Not an LA person, so I have no idea what Laughlin Park is.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18May 2, 2024 7:35 AM

I AM an LA person and I have no idea what Laughlin Park is either.

by Anonymousreply 1April 30, 2024 5:51 PM

Wikipedia gives us some background, including a tragedy that occurred there:

[quote]Fields fraternized at his home with actors, directors and writers who shared his fondness for good company and good liquor. John Barrymore, Gene Fowler, and Gregory La Cava were among his close friends. On March 15, 1941, while Fields was out of town, Christopher Quinn, the two-year-old son of his neighbors, actor Anthony Quinn and his wife Katherine DeMille, drowned in a lily pond on Fields's property. Grief-stricken over the tragedy, he had the pond filled in.

by Anonymousreply 2April 30, 2024 5:52 PM

Magnificent. Anthony Quinn's son drowned in the pool. WC Fields who's act was hating children was devastated and moved out sold the place.

by Anonymousreply 3April 30, 2024 5:55 PM

I'll pay cash.

by Anonymousreply 4April 30, 2024 5:56 PM

Now I know what Laughlin Park is.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5April 30, 2024 6:01 PM

I remember Fields’ last wife Carlotta wrote a memoir (W.C. and Me) and when she was on The Dick Cavett Show promoting it, she mentioned that Deanna Durbin was their neighbor and Deanna’s constant vocalizing and rehearsing songs for her films drove W.C. up the wall.

Deanna and her style of singing was out of fashion in the ‘70s so this got a big laugh.

by Anonymousreply 6April 30, 2024 6:06 PM

Love everything about it. Right down to the last blade of grass.

by Anonymousreply 7April 30, 2024 6:12 PM

Very well appointed!

by Anonymousreply 8April 30, 2024 6:19 PM

Recall Lily Tomlin painted over the great hall in lavender. Would have thought beige.

by Anonymousreply 9April 30, 2024 8:31 PM

David Fincher and Angelina Jolie have homes in Laughlin Park.

by Anonymousreply 10May 2, 2024 1:07 AM

Laughlin park is nice. Ellen and Portia had a house there. Deanna Durbin lived there near WC. Allegedly WC you to scream at her to shut up when she was vocalizing.

by Anonymousreply 11May 2, 2024 1:30 AM

Too much.

by Anonymousreply 12May 2, 2024 1:42 AM

R1, I was about to say. "Laughlin Park" sounds like some BS new name.

by Anonymousreply 13May 2, 2024 1:45 AM

As a long-time resident of Los Feliz, I love it here, but $15 million seems outrageous for the area. For that price, one would expect the amenities found on the west side. While Los Feliz has its charm, it simply doesn't compare to Beverly Hills, Brentwood, or Holmby Hills etc.

For a better idea the commercial area Google Hollywood blvd and Normandy, and that is one and a half blocks from this home.

by Anonymousreply 14May 2, 2024 2:03 AM

I think it’s gorgeous. Don’t adore the kitchen in toto but would be absolutely delighted with this home. I love old Hollywood homes and Los Feliz, especially.

by Anonymousreply 15May 2, 2024 2:12 AM

It is really an Italianate/Beaux-Arts style mansion?

by Anonymousreply 16May 2, 2024 2:15 AM

Seems underpriced, what's the catch?

by Anonymousreply 17May 2, 2024 2:36 AM

I hate the exterior: the hash of horizontal windows and strange balcony detailing and the facade looks like a strip mall chain store. The interior, however --from the few photos and what I recall from a previous listing-- has some very nice aspects.

by Anonymousreply 18May 2, 2024 7:35 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!