Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Child stars of our youth/past

I've been listening to Ike Eisenmann's podcast — he was the kid in nearly every Disney movie of the 1970s — and he interviews a lot of former child stars, who are interesting.

Ike says he loved his career, but admits his father was awful and his mother had to keep special care with the money he earned. Radames Pera (Kung Fu, Little House) was a full-on teen idol, but when he asked his mother for the keys to his bank account when he turned 18, she said the age was actually 21. At 21, he asked her about it and she said casually, "Oh, I spent it, darling." He ended up being a home stereo installer but seemed happy enough about it.

The latest one is with Claudia Lamb, who played Louise Lasser's daughter on Mary Hartman. She says her parents were physically abusive psychos who would hurt her when she didn't land jobs, and that Norman Lear and a couple of others on the set were lifelines. Her parents spent all her money too and she was looking for restaurant jobs after 15 straight years of working. Worse, her parents lied to the IRS about her salary and as an adult she feared she would face tax fraud charges.

Pamelyn Ferdin, Lisa Gerritsen, Moosie Drier, Kristy McNichol ... what are your memories of all the kids who seemed to work constantly for years and then basically vanished?

by Anonymousreply 31May 1, 2024 3:36 PM

The little guy from Eight is Enough has died, Gary Coleman, Dana Plato as well. I think those kids from Family Affair were messed up as well.

by Anonymousreply 1April 30, 2024 12:37 AM

r1, when Anissa "Buffy" Jones was discovered dead from an overdose, the story goes there was semen in every orifice of her body.

by Anonymousreply 2April 30, 2024 12:40 AM

Thanks r2. I remember hearing about her death, in my mid teens by then, but never knew.

by Anonymousreply 3April 30, 2024 12:45 AM

These gals all seem to have landed on their feet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4April 30, 2024 12:47 AM

I thought there were laws in place to protect the incomes of child actors. It was called the Coogan Act after Jackie Coogan's parents spent all his money.

by Anonymousreply 5April 30, 2024 12:57 AM

Kurt Russell did a lot of Disney movies when I was a kid.

by Anonymousreply 6April 30, 2024 12:59 AM

R5, she addresses that - that doesn’t (or didn’t) apply to commercials.

by Anonymousreply 7April 30, 2024 1:02 AM

I’m so glad to know that Norman Lear was a decent guy to these kids.

by Anonymousreply 8April 30, 2024 1:08 AM

How can anyone mention Ike Eisenmann without invoking the name of Kim RIchards?

by Anonymousreply 9April 30, 2024 1:12 AM

[quote] I thought there were laws in place to protect the incomes of child actors. It was called the Coogan Act after Jackie Coogan's parents spent all his money.

It only protects a portion of the child star's earnings.

by Anonymousreply 10April 30, 2024 1:53 AM

Chad Allen became a psychiatrist.

Matthew Newmark from Paradise helps run a treatment center after he had a long bout with addiction.

Jaleel White is semi-active but still annoying.

Matt Shakman from Just the 10 of Us is an in-demand producer/director.

by Anonymousreply 11April 30, 2024 1:54 AM

When Corey Feldman was on Steve O's podcast, he said that the Coogan Law only requires that 15% of earnings in California go into a trust fund. As Steve O said, "That means they can only steal 85% of your money." In reality, the parents/guardian have control of the trust fund until the kid is 18. So loads of kid actors end up with nothing.

I was shocked it was only 15%.

by Anonymousreply 12April 30, 2024 2:19 AM

Bill Mumy of Lost In Space. I was a huge fan as a kid watching reruns of the show and wanted to be Will Robinson because of all the great adventures his character had.

He was also in 3 classic Twilight Zone episodes. He was later in the 1973 film Papillon and his role was supposed to be a high featured supporting role, but it got edited down significantly to a small role in post production. He spent most of his life writing and playing music, including the Barnes and Barnes classic Fish Heads and playing with other bands and solo work. His biggest role post LIS was in Babylon 5 as Lennier for 4 years. He seems to have had a good life.

by Anonymousreply 13April 30, 2024 2:20 AM

Billy

by Anonymousreply 14April 30, 2024 2:51 AM

Billy Gray who played Bud in Father Knows Best.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15April 30, 2024 2:55 AM

Ike seems like a decent guy — long-time husband, still enjoys Disney theme parks, posts ephemera from his young career with happy stories. He says he never saw anything resembling abuse as a kid actor.

He had a story about guesting on Little House and saying good morning to Melissa Sue Anderson in her makeup chair. She turned around and asked him about Witch Mountain. When he answered she said, "Willie Aames and I were up for that but I had SCHEDULING CONFLICTS." And that was it for his interactions with Melissa Sue. Radames Pera, who played her boyfriend, implied she was no treat either.

Claudia Lamb said that Norman Lear noticed she liked to write and bought her a Selectric, something her parents never did. He gave her feedback on her stories and was unfailingly kind. Later she turned that interest into a longtime career as a radio news reporter in San Francisco.

by Anonymousreply 16April 30, 2024 5:20 AM

Lamb got Sparky Marcus into the business. I think he's a therapist now.

by Anonymousreply 17April 30, 2024 5:39 AM

Matthew Laborteaux (who spells his last name differently now) seems to have had a good career--he mostly did voiceover work after "Little House" because despite his good looks, he's very small. But I think he made a lot of money doing it. He's rumored to be gay, which should be no surprise to anyone.

by Anonymousreply 18April 30, 2024 2:47 PM

R18, Matthew Laborteaux married a woman a few years ago and has at least one stepchild. I heard him interviewed on some podcast and he couldn’t shut up about them, constantly referencing his happy family. Maybe it was a recent marriage he was excited about but it did come off as overcompensating

by Anonymousreply 19April 30, 2024 2:58 PM

The interview may have actually been on Ike Eisenmann’s podcast now that I think about it

by Anonymousreply 20April 30, 2024 3:02 PM

[quote]These gals all seem to have landed on their feet.

Some more heavily than others.

by Anonymousreply 21April 30, 2024 3:56 PM

[quote]These gals all seem to have landed on their feet.

Suzanne Crough landed on her face during dinner.

by Anonymousreply 22April 30, 2024 4:04 PM

Eric Olsen, who was on the Swiss Family Robinson series in the 70s and guest starred in a number on TV series. He was also in several TV movies including Irwin Allen's Flood, and Sarah T Portrait of a Teenage Alcoholic. The last I remember seeing him was on Eight is Enough.

by Anonymousreply 23April 30, 2024 4:14 PM

Tammy Lauren was in everything in the late 1970s, but nothing ever stuck, even Angie!

by Anonymousreply 24April 30, 2024 6:20 PM

Ike's podcast. Convos with Audrey Landers, Tina Cole, Stanley and Barry Livingston, Erin Murphy, Kathy Garver, Tony DeFranco, Doug and Emmy Jo from The New Zoo Revue, Michael Gray from Shazam!, Bruce Vilanch, and a lot more.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25April 30, 2024 11:35 PM

Looks like Ike interviewed DL laughingstock Susan Olsen today!

by Anonymousreply 26May 1, 2024 2:07 AM

R11 I read that Chad Allen is a psychologist not a psychiatrist. I don’t believe he went to medical school.

by Anonymousreply 27May 1, 2024 2:36 AM

Glen Scarpelli is gay. He was on “One Day at a Time.”

by Anonymousreply 28May 1, 2024 2:41 AM

R28, WHAT? ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Where did you hear that?

by Anonymousreply 29May 1, 2024 3:09 PM

Linda Manz. She gave a great performance in Days of Heaven, then went on to indie roles, but disappeared completely in the 1990s. She died of lung cancer in 2020 at 58.

by Anonymousreply 30May 1, 2024 3:17 PM

Rodney Allen Rippy

Mason Reese

by Anonymousreply 31May 1, 2024 3:36 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!