Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

South Africa renames +80 cities and towns to disassociate itself from colonialism

The South African Geographical Names Council (SAGNC) has significantly changed the names of the country's geographic entities. The council aims to ensure that the names of places reflect the diverse cultures and languages of South Africa rather than remnants of colonial and apartheid pasts. The SAGNC was established by the South African Geographical Names Council Act of 1998, and since then, it has approved changes for 1,505 place names, including 85 towns.

This initiative has led to renaming various geographical locations such as towns, rivers, mountains, and streets. The council aims to make public spaces' names resonate more with the local inhabitants' identity and heritage. The SAGNC's efforts have significantly shifted towards a more inclusive and respectful naming system that celebrates the country's rich cultural diversity.

Some of the changes:

Port Elizabeth → Gqeberha

Morgan's Bay → Gxarha

Cradock → Nxuba

Uitenhage → Kariega

King Williamstown → Qonce

Queenstown → Komani

Grahamstown → Makhanda

Fort Beaufort → KwaMaqoma

Somerset East → KwaNojoli

Graaff-Reinet → Robert Sobkwe or Fred Hufkie

Adendorp → Kwa Mseki Bishop Limba

Aberdeen → Camdeboo

Nieu-Bethesda → Kwa Noheleni

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37May 1, 2024 9:12 PM

Like anyone except the dozen people who speak a Khoisan language will use those new names. They will be excellent Scrabble plays.

by Anonymousreply 1April 30, 2024 12:21 AM

Children having temper tantrums

by Anonymousreply 2April 30, 2024 1:01 AM

CRADOCK CRADOCK CRADOCK

by Anonymousreply 3April 30, 2024 1:15 AM

The snowflakes are about to have a shrieking meltdown over this post.

by Anonymousreply 4April 30, 2024 1:17 AM

Who give a fat fuck?

by Anonymousreply 5April 30, 2024 1:17 AM

So what? Ireland did the same thing.

by Anonymousreply 6April 30, 2024 1:24 AM

Nothing new, they have already renamed a few in the past, I'll keep using their old names, because I don't speak any bantu language or any language from any African tree.

by Anonymousreply 7May 1, 2024 2:10 PM

And Bruce is now Kaitlyn.

by Anonymousreply 8May 1, 2024 2:44 PM

I can understand the impulse, but it seems rather confusing.

by Anonymousreply 9May 1, 2024 2:46 PM

Ain’t nobody gonna now how to say those names.

by Anonymousreply 10May 1, 2024 2:47 PM

Ireland only did a partial job.

by Anonymousreply 11May 1, 2024 3:20 PM

[quote] Graaff-Reinet → Robert Sobkwe or Fred Hufkie

wtf?

by Anonymousreply 12May 1, 2024 3:30 PM

Well, at least we can say South Africa never fails to fascinate.

by Anonymousreply 13May 1, 2024 3:33 PM

I'm fascinated by Capetown! It has to be one of the world's most stunning cities.

But what's its new/real name now?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14May 1, 2024 3:37 PM

Since I had never heard of any of these before, I won't notice a difference. The only city I want to visit is Cape Town.

by Anonymousreply 15May 1, 2024 3:38 PM

Now most of those garbage heaps will have unpronounceable names. Progress at work!

by Anonymousreply 16May 1, 2024 3:39 PM

Excuse me tourists, I speak jive.

by Anonymousreply 17May 1, 2024 3:39 PM

Amateurs

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18May 1, 2024 3:44 PM

It’s not just Americans who are erasing history they don’t like.

by Anonymousreply 19May 1, 2024 4:11 PM

R19, I think the point is that in this case, history is actually winning out.

by Anonymousreply 20May 1, 2024 4:13 PM

Replacing historical place names of English or a Dutch language origin with random strings of letters in South Africa is erasing history.

by Anonymousreply 21May 1, 2024 4:18 PM

I'm sure people can look up the names on the internet, r21.

by Anonymousreply 22May 1, 2024 4:21 PM

R21, I'm pretty sure that whatever tribe exist(ed) in South Africa before the English/Dutch has a much, much longer claim to history in that region.

by Anonymousreply 23May 1, 2024 4:24 PM

R23, history didn’t stop when the Europeans came and is now somehow restarting. History includes the time when these places were in their heyday when they had the English and Dutch names.

by Anonymousreply 24May 1, 2024 4:31 PM

R24, okay? So a place should maintain a name that they've held only for a blip in the historical radar?

by Anonymousreply 25May 1, 2024 4:33 PM

To be fair, some of those places (especially the Dutch-named towns) were founded by the Dutch in the first place.

But hey — it’s their country, they can name and rename places however they see fit.

by Anonymousreply 26May 1, 2024 4:39 PM

Because names like "De Aar" sound so sentimental...

by Anonymousreply 27May 1, 2024 4:40 PM

Is South Africa one of those counties where there is no dominant language or dialect? Because the not chosen language speakers will be pissed.

by Anonymousreply 28May 1, 2024 4:45 PM

South Africa has 11 official languages.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29May 1, 2024 4:53 PM

The town of Zola Budd retained its name because its citizens run barefoot and have a knack for tripping American fraus.

by Anonymousreply 30May 1, 2024 5:00 PM

Totally their right to do so…it seems to be irritating to some of you here…

by Anonymousreply 31May 1, 2024 5:00 PM

[quote] South Africa has 11 official languages.

I don’t see gibberish on the list. I wonder why they decided to use that for the new place names.

by Anonymousreply 32May 1, 2024 5:03 PM

OP is also:

*CNN has Trump outside of margin of error now*

[quote]Trump will win. We know. The rest choose to live in their MSNBC bubble. This is 2016 all over again.

by Anonymousreply 33May 1, 2024 5:20 PM

I think these cities are all in the Eastern Cape province, which is demographically overwhelmingly Black and the traditional homeland of the Xhosa (a Bantu ethnic group descended from people who migrated from Central Africa to the area at least five hundred years before Europeans arrived.)

Capetown is in the Western Cape. There is a large Black population in the Western Cape but the largest ethnic group are the Cape Coloureds (a mixed race people who descend from Africans, Europeans and the indentured Asians who were brought over in colonial times). The Indigenous Africans of the Western Cape, an area which Bantu groups never really settled because the landscape was not conducive to the forms of agriculture they practiced, were the Khoisan people (what used to be called the Bushmen and the Hottentots). Very few Khoisan people still exist and practice Khoisan culture or speak Khoisan languages, but the Cape Coloureds have significant Khoisan ancestry.

The Cape Coloureds generally speak Afrikaans as a first language and despite having been marginalized during Apartheid, still mostly politically align with white South Africans and vote for the Democratic Alliance. I’d be surprised if any places in the Western Cape were re-named with Xhosan or other Bantu-language names.

by Anonymousreply 34May 1, 2024 5:50 PM

You can call me whatever you like, just don’t call me late for dinner.

by Anonymousreply 35May 1, 2024 8:32 PM

That list also matches 2024's Top African-American Baby Names list.

by Anonymousreply 36May 1, 2024 9:08 PM

What comes to your mind when I say tall building in Chicago?

by Anonymousreply 37May 1, 2024 9:12 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!