Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Which Film Does Turner Classic Movies Show WAY Too Often?

I like them and I usually watch them whenever they are shown, but... Honorable mention: Gilda, Key Largo, Gene Kelly Trilogy, Imitation of Life (either one), The Long, Long Trailer...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36May 1, 2024 5:42 PM

What do the + and - mean?

by Anonymousreply 1April 29, 2024 5:48 PM

They show Gone With the Wind all the time

by Anonymousreply 2April 29, 2024 5:49 PM

That should have read "You don't have to watch just because it's on" and (-) means it has been on this month and (+) means it will be on in the next 30 days.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3April 29, 2024 5:51 PM

r2 Seems like they only show it once a year. I'm surprised Singin in the Rain isn't on the list. They must show that at least once a month. Splendor in the Grass is another one I'm sick of. If I have to see that again I'm gonna take a hot bath and scream my head off!!!

by Anonymousreply 4April 29, 2024 5:53 PM

Mame

by Anonymousreply 5April 29, 2024 5:56 PM

R2 yep, they showed it on April 14. R4, The Gene Kelly trilogy covers that in honorable mention. Maybe I should make a list of disliked movies that they show too often. Number 1: Now, Voyager.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6April 29, 2024 6:13 PM

That's a good question. It's especially weird when TCM shows the same movie twice within a week. Sometimes twice within two or three DAYS.

They show a lot of good movies but they REALLY need to enlarge their movie library. I love a lot of old movies, including some of the ones you mentioned, but when even *I* get sick of them, TCM is showing them too often.

by Anonymousreply 7April 29, 2024 6:19 PM

Sounder gets shown at least once every three months.

by Anonymousreply 8April 29, 2024 6:22 PM

The Maltese Falcon.

by Anonymousreply 9April 29, 2024 6:37 PM

They show "Mildred Pierce" every other day, don't they?

by Anonymousreply 10April 29, 2024 6:41 PM

They seem to replay favorite movies- maybe not your favorite but some consistent audience favorite. And no matter what play though it bound to better than anything else you will see that day. I could watch GWTW everyday over 90% of the other crap on television. And watch a film late at night. “ The Philadelphia Story” is a tad different at 2 in the morning than at 5 in the afternoon. All great films are like that. Hitchcock is the best.

by Anonymousreply 11April 29, 2024 7:10 PM

Lawrence of Arabia

by Anonymousreply 12April 29, 2024 7:17 PM

TCM has added many more films from the 1970s, recently.

by Anonymousreply 13April 29, 2024 7:20 PM

OP- Little did Ann Francis know that 12 years later her outfit would be mainstream.

by Anonymousreply 14April 29, 2024 7:24 PM

R10 As they should

by Anonymousreply 15April 29, 2024 7:25 PM

They show the James Cain trio--Double Calamity, Mildred Fierce, and The Postman Always Cums Twice MONTHLY!

by Anonymousreply 16April 29, 2024 7:26 PM

I'm confused. DL, home of doddering eldergays who live to recreate the same 40 threads ad infinitum, repeating exactly the same comments, over and over and over and over again, takes issue with TCM doing much the same?

by Anonymousreply 17April 29, 2024 7:27 PM

They frequently show the ones they own and don't have to pay to use--which means lots of old MGM/RKO/WB stuff. The ones they have to pay for are shown sparingly.

by Anonymousreply 18April 29, 2024 7:44 PM

This old gay also watches those old antenna stations in the spare room.

by Anonymousreply 19April 29, 2024 7:45 PM

R14, I always wondered if she introduced the miniskirt to the world. Helen Rose is credited as "costumes: Anne Francis" (and 112 other credits).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20April 29, 2024 7:45 PM

Comcast, in its endless greed, removed TCM from its cable packages and put it as part of the Sports Package because, well, of course, where else. I miss it terribly but I'm not paying for Sports because no one here watches any. I'd love to see Mildred Pierce. Comcast is the only option here and it takes full advantage of that.

by Anonymousreply 21April 29, 2024 8:18 PM

I love Forbidden Planet. You can never show it too often - since, you know, you can always change the channel if you're not in the mood.

The other good one from that era is When Worlds Collide.

by Anonymousreply 22April 29, 2024 8:19 PM

Monsters from the id. I had to ask my parents and older siblings what it meant.

by Anonymousreply 23April 29, 2024 8:37 PM

#17, we have you blocked.

by Anonymousreply 24April 29, 2024 8:37 PM

I can see them repeating a movie a couple times a week when it's an obscure black and white noir alley movie rarely seen. But they've done the big MGM musicals to death.

by Anonymousreply 25April 29, 2024 8:42 PM

R17?

by Anonymousreply 26April 29, 2024 8:54 PM

Every time TCG shows "An American in Paris" or "Signing in the Rain" I think it's impossible for Gene Kelly to come off as a bigger asshole than he really was, but somehow he manages to pull it off.

by Anonymousreply 27April 29, 2024 9:03 PM

Here's an obscure thriller they haven't shown in over a decade. Not available even on DVD. I found it on a download website with the TCM logo in the corner of the video. Good, campy, travelogue type thriller.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28April 29, 2024 9:04 PM

[quote]Comcast, in its endless greed, removed TCM from its cable packages and put it as part of the Sports Package because, well, of course, where else. I miss it terribly but I'm not paying for Sports because no one here watches any. I'd love to see Mildred Pierce. Comcast is the only option here and it takes full advantage of that

Ditch cable and get a streaming service like YouTubeTV. They have TCM. It's better than cable. You can watch it anywhere. No box. DVR in the cloud. There are similar services from Hulu and other providers.

by Anonymousreply 29April 29, 2024 9:07 PM

Why are you here, R17? I'm sure Reddit has something you will like better. And I've been on DL for several years and I've never seen this topic before.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30April 29, 2024 9:12 PM

"Singin' in the Rain" is another that seems to be shown monthly... great movie, but come on...

by Anonymousreply 31April 30, 2024 2:03 PM

Another thing about TCM, it seems like the movies they show all the time stay on the app for weeks, while the movies they rarely show are only on the app for a few days or else they don't make it on there at all.

by Anonymousreply 32April 30, 2024 9:04 PM

r32 Like everything else in life, it's all about the money.

by Anonymousreply 33April 30, 2024 10:25 PM

R6 you can suck my clit, mother. I’m no longer afraid.

by Anonymousreply 34April 30, 2024 10:28 PM

r32 doesn't the on demand section on tv have more than the app?

by Anonymousreply 35April 30, 2024 10:32 PM

𝐆𝐚𝐬𝐥𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭...

both of them, 1940 and 1944.

by Anonymousreply 36May 1, 2024 5:42 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!