Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

WHeT Charlotte Church?

I remember her becoming famous in the late 90s/early 00s when she was a kid. I never listened to her much but did like that one song “Dream a Dream”. I remember hearing her sing “Bridge Under Troubled Water” and thinking she sounded amazing. And then out of nowhere she abandoned her classical singing and she came back as a pop artist in 2005 with her song “Call My Name”.

I always assumed she turned off most of her audience when she tried transitioning over.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56April 26, 2024 5:40 PM

Op add her to your other odd fascination list

by Anonymousreply 1April 24, 2024 6:21 PM

Her voice was never great. I suppose it was "cute," for a while, but when she matured it was amateur hour, even by relaxed, classical crossover standards. When she was late teens or so she decided to go pop-slut, and with terrible music, at which point her popularity nose-dived and became virtually non-existent. She still seems a bit trashy or "chav"-like, it however the Brits say it, and it seems mostly to be of her own doing.

by Anonymousreply 2April 24, 2024 6:25 PM

She did not have a trained voice. I’ll bet she can no longer sing like that as it probably gave out.

The Ford Millennium Anthem sucked.

by Anonymousreply 3April 24, 2024 6:37 PM

Her voice gave out and she said the firefighters of 9/11 weren’t heroes and everybody got up in arms.

by Anonymousreply 4April 24, 2024 6:38 PM

In college I had a music teacher who used Charlotte as an example of someone who had a natural gift of singing but instead of training her voice further she misused it and lost her voice. He always said that her voice was gone, and this was around 2009.

by Anonymousreply 5April 24, 2024 6:40 PM

She's busy sucking Hamas cock so her mouth isn't available to sing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6April 24, 2024 6:42 PM

Oh, her voice WAS beautiful r2. If she trained her voice she would have been one of the greats and her voice would still be around.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7April 24, 2024 6:44 PM

Didn’t she open some bed and breakfast?

by Anonymousreply 8April 24, 2024 6:48 PM

She’s fine. She sends her love.

by Anonymousreply 9April 24, 2024 6:49 PM

She had a talk show in the UK like 15 years ago. It didn’t last long.

by Anonymousreply 10April 24, 2024 6:53 PM

And she used to perform on her show. That shit Kelly Clarkson does isn’t original like people think. Maybe to US audiences but Church did it in the UK long ago.

I remember her and Fergie butchering 9 To 5

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11April 24, 2024 6:55 PM

R7 I have to respectfully disagree. I think her voice is not good at all in that example. It's okay, but it is nowhere near great. Countless West End and Broadway performers could put that performance to shame. If she was singing that at a local fair in a small town, or a high school talent show, I might think otherwise, but it's just not remarkable.

by Anonymousreply 12April 24, 2024 6:59 PM

R12 that’s your opinion. She didn’t make millions off of nothing babe.

by Anonymousreply 13April 24, 2024 7:02 PM

The last time anyone saw her, she was sailing down the Thames with Queen Elizabeth for the Millennium Celebration. I think when they got to Greenwich, Liz pushed her in.

by Anonymousreply 14April 24, 2024 7:02 PM

No, she would never have been one of the greats R7. She’s a mediocre soubrette soprano who could easily be outsung by any freshman soprano at any low level conservatory.

by Anonymousreply 15April 24, 2024 7:03 PM

Charlotte Church is a horrible person although not quite as horrible as her mother. She paid for her mother to run a pub, a shop, a bed and breakfast and she still isn't happy.

So many stories about them in Cardiff. They're not a popular family. People know fake shit when they see it.

As for the pop career the Tissues and Issues album came out in an era of amazing British pop. Girls Aloud were getting into their prime, Sugababes were having huge hits, Rachel Stevens was knocking out bangers. For all the tabloid hype Church was so pedestrian. She recorded a Rick Nowels Boy George song called Even God Can't Change The Past which is a beautiful song but was sung a lower register and she sounded like she needed to blow her nose.

More recently she bought Laura Ashley's old house and turned it into a "luxury retreat" but spent so much money on it she had to take money back from her parents. She sold the story of the development to a tv channel for a behind the scenes show which was so dull. It's staffed by volunteers.

She also won't send her kids to the local school so they're homeschooled by the "charity" she runs and asks the public to donate money to.

by Anonymousreply 16April 24, 2024 7:20 PM

Chav.

by Anonymousreply 17April 24, 2024 7:23 PM

I remember her becoming a tabloid fixture in the 00s as a teen. British tabloids were harsh on her.

by Anonymousreply 18April 24, 2024 7:30 PM

Her last name is Church, it couldn't end well.

by Anonymousreply 19April 24, 2024 7:32 PM

Mother Maria Church orchestrated the sacking of manager Jonathan Shalit because she felt he was taking too much money.

The case went to court and a day after some pretty damaging revelations about the Church family they settled and agreed to pay him £2m.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20April 24, 2024 7:35 PM

She’s no longer a millionaire.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21April 24, 2024 7:42 PM

[quote]Charlotte Church denies antisemitism after pro-Palestinian chant

Thanks for posting that! Was on the fence about her, but when I see she’s standing up for oppressed people despite judeo-fascist pressure, I’m on her side now!

by Anonymousreply 22April 24, 2024 7:43 PM

She’s no Susan Boyle.

by Anonymousreply 23April 24, 2024 9:25 PM

She is a prostitute now

by Anonymousreply 24April 24, 2024 9:32 PM

I'll always love her for throwing shade at that old whore Elizabeth Windsor:

[quote] I've met her about seven times and she never remembers me. When you get close to her you realise she's an old woman and has no idea what's going on

That nicely sums up the Queen's whole life - she spent almost a century shaking the hands of people she forgot thirty seconds later.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25April 24, 2024 10:07 PM

This is what I was talking about you jet set whores…

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26April 24, 2024 10:35 PM

Damn, and here I thought she'd end up a classy broad -- guess not!

by Anonymousreply 27April 24, 2024 10:48 PM

[quote]Damn, and here I thought she'd end up a classy broad -- guess not!

Just not our type. Belonged mopping the stage, not performing on it.

by Anonymousreply 28April 24, 2024 10:51 PM

The Queen knows who the important people are. Ed Miliband's anecdote about her saying "oh it's you" was hilarious.

Considering the amount of people she met why would she remember some kid who sings?

by Anonymousreply 29April 25, 2024 11:28 AM

He said: “I was deposed by the British people rather than my party, but as my career nosedived my wife’s took off.

“In 2019, she became a High Court judge and a dame. We were therefore both invited to the Palace to meet Her Majesty.

"As we saw each other, Her Majesty fixed me with her gaze and said, “Oh, it’s you. What are you doing here?”, knowing full well why I was there, and we had a wonderful conversation.

"There she was at 93, still full of vim, vigour and humour. There is a lesson for us all in the kindness she showed to me and to other Members of the House.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30April 25, 2024 11:30 AM

Didn't Church become involved with a series of questionable men that weren't such great influences on her?

by Anonymousreply 31April 25, 2024 1:08 PM

She’s fine (and in fine voice). She sends her love.

She and Jackie Evancho are in the studio now recording the flower duet from Lakme for release later this year.

by Anonymousreply 32April 25, 2024 1:18 PM

Every year, she calls Buckingham Palace and asks if this year they’ll make her a Dame.

by Anonymousreply 33April 25, 2024 1:29 PM

The fact the Queen didn’t remember her makes the Queen all the more endearing.

by Anonymousreply 34April 25, 2024 1:35 PM

[quote]Didn't Church become involved with a series of questionable men that weren't such great influences on her?

In her teens she dated 2 working class boys her own age in Cardiff. Both were dubbed "bad boys". Neither were particularly nice people and they both sold their stories to the tabloids. One of them went to prison for drug dealing.

And then she started dating Gavin Henson who had had a few decent matches with the Wales team and had a body much nicer than his face. One media saying was "You've heard of Posh and Becks, here's Dosh and Pecs".

Gavin Henson cheated on her repeatedly and had multiple drunken incidents, like pissing over someone on a train. They sold loads of exclusives to celebrity magazines and ultimately broke up. They have 2 kids. In sporting terms he achieved nothing like David Beckham, more a David Bentley.

Incidentally Charlotte's step dad cheated on her mother repeatedly over the years. She is now closer to him than to her.

by Anonymousreply 35April 25, 2024 1:44 PM

[quote]The fact the Queen didn’t remember her makes the Queen all the more endearing.

Or just senile.

by Anonymousreply 36April 25, 2024 2:46 PM

R32 Jackie is also a bad singer, incidentally. While very young she was tolerable, but like Charlotte, the voice didn't age well and is barely sufficient for the "classical crossover" genre.

by Anonymousreply 37April 25, 2024 10:35 PM

I remember reading comments by a few people at the time who commented that when she would try and his a sustained note, her chin would wobble which was indicative of no real classical training.

by Anonymousreply 38April 25, 2024 10:42 PM

She fell down outside and the pigs ate her

by Anonymousreply 39April 25, 2024 10:45 PM

Totally agree with you OP. Her rendition of “Bridge Under Troubled Water” was stunning.

by Anonymousreply 40April 25, 2024 10:56 PM

I have never heard this song

by Anonymousreply 41April 25, 2024 10:57 PM

Stupid morons

by Anonymousreply 42April 25, 2024 11:00 PM

How do you lose your voice? You can't get it back??

by Anonymousreply 43April 25, 2024 11:11 PM

R7 she's barely okay there.

by Anonymousreply 44April 26, 2024 12:06 AM

R36. The Queen met Edward Elgar, Benjamin Britten, and the Beatles. I doubt she excitedly told Philip, “ I Just met Charlotte Church !”

The Queen wasn’t senile. Church just doesn’t matter.

by Anonymousreply 45April 26, 2024 12:34 AM

She has absolutely terrible technique R38. She never really learned how to sing because she didn’t have to. Her audience doesn’t know the difference and her managers and producers don’t know either.

by Anonymousreply 46April 26, 2024 3:23 AM

R37 neither is a “bad” singer. Post a video of you singing. Let’s hear this.

by Anonymousreply 47April 26, 2024 2:05 PM

Wasn’t she a chav?

by Anonymousreply 48April 26, 2024 2:10 PM

That performance at r7 is very mediocre. And obviously nobody worked with her on her stage presence.

by Anonymousreply 49April 26, 2024 2:16 PM

R49 all opinion. I think she does amazing and has great stage presence there.

What is she supposed to do? Dance? It’s a classical song. Retard.

by Anonymousreply 50April 26, 2024 2:20 PM

[quote]The Queen wasn’t senile. Church just doesn’t matter.

For the rest of the world the queen doesn't matter, either.

by Anonymousreply 51April 26, 2024 3:19 PM

[quote]What is she supposed to do? Dance? It’s a classical song. Retard.

Calm down, Charlotte. All the arm work she’s doing is weird. She just flails her arms around like she’s drowning on the Titanic. Just stand and sing the song. Less is more.

by Anonymousreply 52April 26, 2024 3:53 PM

R47 Based on your advice I will never criticize a restaurant meal or the quality of a house since I am completely incapable of building a house or running a restaurant

Everyone willing to open his mouth in public should be lauded as a great and famous singer since mist people can’t sing at all.

by Anonymousreply 53April 26, 2024 4:11 PM

R53 you not liking her doesn’t make her “bad”. None of that was “bad” fucking jobless retard reject.

by Anonymousreply 54April 26, 2024 5:17 PM

In 2010 she joined the "celebrity panel" on Andrew Lloyd Webber's talent show to find a new Dorothy for a production of The Wizard Of Oz - this was 4th series and followed I'd Do Anything where Jessie Buckley and Samantha Barks had their big break.

Charlotte only did it for the money and the opportunity to promote her new album and towards the end of the series sang herself.

Every single Dorothy (most of them were teenagers with limited performing experience) were better than Church. There were stories that she had 3 takes of the song as her vocal was so poor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55April 26, 2024 5:21 PM

R54. I didn’t make any comment whether it was good or bad. Apologies that your stupidity led you to think I did.

I commented solely on your brain-dead playground retort that the poster probably doesn’t sing as well as Church.

If you need help dealing with your stupidity, you can always just politely ask.

by Anonymousreply 56April 26, 2024 5:40 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!