Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Airlines required to refund passengers for canceled, delayed flights

Good news for airline travelers: the Department of Transportation on Wednesday announced it is rolling out new rules that will require airlines to automatically give cash refunds to passengers for canceled and significantly delayed flights.

"This is a big day for America's flying public," said Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg at a Wednesday morning news conference. Buttigieg said the new rules — which require prompt refunds — are the biggest expansion of passenger rights in the department's history.

Airlines can now decide how long a delay must be before a refund is issued — however, these new rules define "significant" delay standards that trigger refunds. The delays covered would be more than three hours for domestic flights and more than six hours for international flights, the agency said.

DOT will also require airlines to give cash refunds if your bags are lost and not delivered within 12 hours.

The refunds must be issued within seven days, according to the new DOT rules, and must be in cash unless the passenger chooses another form of compensation. Airlines can no longer issue refunds in forms of vouchers or credits when consumers are entitled to receive cash.

Airlines will have six months to comply with the new rules.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16April 25, 2024 2:41 AM

Pete's one talent. Tossing other people's money into the air

by Anonymousreply 1April 24, 2024 5:35 PM

What irks me about Delta is that I once paid for Comfort+ (which I now realize is a rip off) and at the last minute, our aircraft was switched and the new plane had less Comfort+ seating, so I got bumped to Basic Economy. They make it very difficult to be refunded for the difference, which was $100+ dollars.

If I have paid for a certain type of seat, and Delta cannot provide it, the refund should be automatic.

by Anonymousreply 2April 24, 2024 5:39 PM

In the EU, refunds are automatic for Flight delay (3 hours or more); Flight cancellation (short notice); Missed connecting flight (through no fault of your own and/or arriving at final destination 3 hours or more late); and Flight rebooking (for full ticket refund; and for rebooking for another day =<14 days before departure).

If for some reason you don't get an automatic refund/airline penalty payment, there's a very simple process to request and payment is almost immediate.

by Anonymousreply 3April 24, 2024 9:56 PM

I am Karen, and I am VICTORIOUS. Your manager WILL give me a refund that I am entitled to. Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 4April 24, 2024 10:39 PM

Why shouldn't passengers be compensated, r4?

by Anonymousreply 5April 24, 2024 10:43 PM

I haven’t read the full details of this, but is it possible that an airline can cancel a flight, refund the cash (thereby canceling the terms of service) and leave a passenger stranded?

I don’t see the airlines taking this lightly. I’m sure they have people working to figure out how to get around this.

by Anonymousreply 6April 24, 2024 10:49 PM

Great. Now airlines will push themselves to put iffy aircrafts in the air and rush maintenance. Good work Pete,

by Anonymousreply 7April 24, 2024 10:51 PM

[quote]Passengers will be entitled to a refund if their flight is canceled or significantly changed, and they do not accept alternative transportation or travel credits offered. For the first time, the rule defines “significant change.” Significant changes to a flight include departure or arrival times that are more than 3 hours domestically and 6 hours internationally

I wondered that too R6. In many situations, a person would rather wait it out than want a refund. If you are flying LAX-DFW-MSY, and your DFW-MSY is delayed, do you want a refund, your trip cancelled, and then you are on your own?

This also isn't that helpful when you consider how hotel reservations work. Even if you are in your hometown, and your plane is delayed 4 hours, great you can get a refund of your plane ticket, but kiss the cost of the first night of your hotel reservation goodbye. Maybe car reservation too.

This isn't that great.

by Anonymousreply 8April 24, 2024 11:01 PM

I'm a bit confused about the seven days to refund part. Obviously Pete was never a broke college student from the lower classes. Getting a flight delayed by half a day means boy still gets to travel easily. But if this means it's all cancelled, he is now on his own, which means having to come up with the money for a new ticket to continue as planned even if eventually that first refund will post to his account.

by Anonymousreply 9April 24, 2024 11:18 PM

Nevermind. It seems this only applies if the boy chooses not to rebook. I was just picturing poor people being stranded at airports when their connecting flights got significantly delayed. Thankfully it's not that dumb.

by Anonymousreply 10April 24, 2024 11:33 PM

Thank you, Pete!

by Anonymousreply 11April 24, 2024 11:34 PM

I never knew there were so many flight attendants on DL!

And when did you gentlemen decide you hated Pete? I always thought you loved him!

by Anonymousreply 12April 24, 2024 11:52 PM

[quote] And when did you gentlemen decide you hated Pete? I always thought you loved him!

R12 Where have you been, harvesting granola for the last three years?😉

DL loathes gay men; especially accomplished, successful, happy ones.

by Anonymousreply 13April 25, 2024 1:51 AM

Senior lesbian at R12, there are certain right wing listers here who loath Pete.

by Anonymousreply 14April 25, 2024 2:01 AM

Posters not listers.

by Anonymousreply 15April 25, 2024 2:21 AM

R7 is king of the idiots. You really think airlines will put a questionable plane into service and risk a blockbuster lawsuit to avoid paying refunds?

by Anonymousreply 16April 25, 2024 2:41 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!