Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Secrets of the Octopus

Last night I watched the first two episodes of this three-part National Geographic series on the octopus.

I highly recommend it.

They are fascinating and intelligent creatures.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8April 26, 2024 4:25 PM

They have four hearts!

by Anonymousreply 1April 24, 2024 11:24 AM

No three! Still.

by Anonymousreply 2April 24, 2024 11:25 AM

They live such short lives though, it's quite tragic.

by Anonymousreply 3April 24, 2024 11:55 AM

Yes, R3, about three years.

by Anonymousreply 4April 24, 2024 4:11 PM

The one I ate the other night at Jose Andres’ Aqua Viva restaurant was delicious. Love a well cooked Octo!!

by Anonymousreply 5April 24, 2024 4:14 PM

Did you like the potato foam, R5?

by Anonymousreply 6April 24, 2024 4:22 PM

I watched the third and final episode of the National Geographic docuseries "Secrets of the Octopus" and highly recommend it.

There is an octopus named Scarlett that befriends a NatGeo explorer who spent two years exploring their underwater world.

The visually stunning series was executive produced by James Cameron and narrated by Paul Rudd.

The octopuses were filmed in their natural habitat over 200 days by the production team.

Even if you think you might not be interested in this, I urge you to give it a try.

by Anonymousreply 7April 26, 2024 4:00 PM

Years ago I read a short story in either Alfred Hitchcock or Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine.

It was about a young female Marine Biologist who was working with a captive octopus. They formed a very strong bond.

One night the woman’s abusive ex boyfriend breaks into the lab, beats and kills her while the octopus watches.

The boyfriend panics and runs, leaving her body on the floor. The reader then sees the rage and sorrow of the octopus as it tries to escape his tank to help his friend.

The boyfriend comes back to get rid of the body just as the octopus breaks free.

The next morning the lab supervisor finds the bodies of the girl and the boyfriend while the octopus watches from his tank.

OK, maybe not the most plausible story, but oddly touching. Enough so that out of the thousands of short mysteries I’ve read, this is among the ones I remember.

by Anonymousreply 8April 26, 2024 4:25 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!