Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Alan Hollinghurst returns

And writing first person narrative again - at least he’s mixing it up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3April 26, 2024 7:58 PM

Thanks, OP. Hollinghurst has returned three times in two now three books that I was unaware of. I'll give him a go again. There's much to like about his writing, yet I always find him over-promised and in need of a bossy editor. For me, none of his earlier books was ever what it easily could have been.

by Anonymousreply 1April 24, 2024 12:26 AM

I have enjoyed most of his books. I mean, I did struggle a bit with a few of them, but The Line of Beauty just grabbed me by the throat and didn't let go.

by Anonymousreply 2April 24, 2024 12:49 AM

The Line of Beauty was a quantum leap past of The Folding Star and The Spell. He’s been using the same episodic structure with leaps forward in time ever since. And it sounds like the new one must have the same structure. But it’s still nice to get another book from him.

by Anonymousreply 3April 26, 2024 7:58 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!