Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Voyager 1 is backcommunicating with Earth

Well, hello, Voyager 1! The venerable spacecraft is once again making sense APRIL 23, 20245:00 AM ET Nell Greenfieldboyce 2010 Nell Greenfieldboyce

Members of the Voyager team celebrate at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory after receiving data about the health and status of Voyager 1 for the first time in months.

NASA says it is once again able to get meaningful information back from the Voyager 1 probe, after months of troubleshooting a glitch that had this venerable spacecraft sending home messages that made no sense.

The Voyager 1 and Voyager 2 probes launched in 1977 on a mission to study Jupiter and Saturn but continued onward through the outer reaches of the solar system. In 2012, Voyager 1 became the first spacecraft to enter interstellar space, the previously unexplored region between the stars. (Its twin, traveling in a different direction, followed suit six years later.)

Voyager 1 had been faithfully sending back readings about this mysterious new environment for years — until November, when its messages suddenly became incoherent.

NASA's Voyager 1 spacecraft is talking nonsense. Its friends on Earth are worried SPACE NASA's Voyager 1 spacecraft is talking nonsense. Its friends on Earth are worried It was a serious problem that had longtime Voyager scientists worried that this historic space mission wouldn't be able to recover. They'd hoped to be able to get precious readings from the spacecraft for at least a few more years, until its power ran out and its very last science instrument quit working.

For the last five months, a small team at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in California has been working to fix it. The team finally pinpointed the problem to a memory chip and figured out how to restore some essential software code.

"When the mission flight team heard back from the spacecraft on April 20, they saw that the modification worked: For the first time in five months, they have been able to check the health and status of the spacecraft," NASA stated in an update.

The usable data being returned so far concerns the workings of the spacecraft's engineering systems. In the coming weeks, the team will do more of this software repair work so that Voyager 1 will also be able to send science data, letting researchers once again see what the probe encounters as it journeys through interstellar space.

After a 12.3 billion-mile 'shout,' NASA regains full contact with Voyager 2 SPACE

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24April 24, 2024 5:17 PM

V’ger!

by Anonymousreply 1April 23, 2024 11:24 PM

Have they given up trying to contact the Jupiter 2? I am really concerned about the Robinson family and crew drifting through space.

by Anonymousreply 2April 23, 2024 11:31 PM

I've been reading about this and all Star Trek Vgr jokes and references aside, I love it! Bravo to the people at NASA who have never given up on either Voyager spacecraft and to the original designers who created such durable spacecraft.

Stories like this are really special and yes, uplifting (I know, I know, "Mary!" but still).

by Anonymousreply 3April 24, 2024 12:07 AM

I love this.

by Anonymousreply 4April 24, 2024 12:12 AM

"V'ga signals the creata."

by Anonymousreply 5April 24, 2024 12:16 AM

By Jove, R3, I agree with you!

by Anonymousreply 6April 24, 2024 12:19 AM

They're fine, R2, they send their love.

by Anonymousreply 7April 24, 2024 12:28 AM

The distance from Earth is difficult to imagine.

After 47 years Voyager 1 is currently 24,328,540,320 kilometers, equivalent to 162.626247 Astronomical Units. Light takes 22 hours, 32 minutes and 31.2754 seconds to travel from Voyager 1 and arrive to us.

Built by the guys in white shirts with their slide rules.

by Anonymousreply 8April 24, 2024 1:14 AM

They must have sent Voyager some love. It is the only thing that can transcend time and space!

by Anonymousreply 9April 24, 2024 1:18 AM

For the younglings who may not know, the Voyager crafts each carry one Golden Record, in case intelligent life forms discover the ships. They are filled with voices, sounds, music, and symbols and were a really big deal when the Voyagers were launched.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10April 24, 2024 2:35 AM

The golden records were a horrible idea from Sagan. Mucho "Close Encounters" optimism there, but I'd have preferred a little more "Independence Day" caution.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11April 24, 2024 3:33 AM

This was launched in 1977 using 1970s computer technology.

by Anonymousreply 12April 24, 2024 4:05 AM

American buffalo are land dwellers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13April 24, 2024 4:08 AM

The golden record tells them where earth is located and theretofore where the can come to exterminate us.

by Anonymousreply 14April 24, 2024 4:18 AM

@r7...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15April 24, 2024 4:21 AM

Looking for Aliens and yet we have Sleestak roaming the earth in Land of the Lost.

by Anonymousreply 16April 24, 2024 4:25 AM

R11 R14 Seriously. I think you’re right. We don’t know what is out there and what sort of dangers are there. We’re a grain of sand on an infinite desert or beach . Impossible to find without a road map. I think we’re safer in our anonymity.

by Anonymousreply 17April 24, 2024 4:32 AM

I assumed it had been hijacked by aliens and was talking to NASA in their language. Disappointing outcome, really.

by Anonymousreply 18April 24, 2024 5:57 AM

^ That's what they want you to think 🤔

by Anonymousreply 19April 24, 2024 10:10 AM

[quote]Looking for Aliens and yet we have Sleestak roaming the earth in Land of the Lost.

Not to mention Llanview!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20April 24, 2024 10:17 AM

One small step closer to a United Federation of Planets.

by Anonymousreply 21April 24, 2024 11:31 AM

come enslave us! xox carl sagan

by Anonymousreply 22April 24, 2024 11:43 AM

[quote]Voyager crafts each carry one Golden Record, in case intelligent life forms discover the ships

Interesting. Very interesting.

by Anonymousreply 23April 24, 2024 11:46 AM

Maybe it was the aliens who fixed V-Ger

by Anonymousreply 24April 24, 2024 5:17 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!