Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Are sons raised by a single mother more likely to be control freaks?

My sister-in-law is a single mom and her adult son moved back home three years ago due to rent else being too high. He's 38 and she's 54.

She was a teen mom and the dad was only in the picture for the first year before abandoning them, then it was just her and the son living together. The son was always a moody, difficult little prick who threw tantrums constantly and pretty much did what he wanted. My SIL is a rather meek person, so aside from yelling at him a few times, never really stood up to him or disciplined him.

Luckily, the son has a type A personality and always did well in school, so he has a good career in the financial sector but has always stayed close to home for money reasons. He didn't move out until he was 25 the first time because he was saving up a nest egg so he wouldn't be living on a tight budget, came back at 31 to save up again, then somehow found a girlfriend to live with, then they broke up (this girlfriend ranted on facebook about him being a hoarder), and he moved back home again to save up money. Now, three years have passed and he's still living at home with the mother, saving up money to buy his dream home. He admits that he has no plan on leaving until he has every penny saved for his dream home because he doesn't want a mortgage.

My sister-in-law insists it wouldn't be a problem if they actually got along, but they don't have a close relationship and he always seems annoyed by her/barely talks to her. He's a messy pig who has destroyed her home, yet again. He leaves dirty clothes and dishes everywhere and refuses to admit they stink, so when she asks him to clean up, he stubbornly refuses and then she has to do it, otherwise the house will stink. He's a cheap-ass bitch who refuses to buy new furniture, so all his pieces are ancient, second-hand and they smell (mattress, bedroom sofa, curtains). The furniture, which he brought from his old apartment, smells like sweat, stale body odour. I've been to the house, and there is a terrible odour when crossing his room.

He plays loud videos up in his room---meditation videos and finance/politics videos. He refuses to turn down the volume. He drilled an exercise bar into a weak ceiling in the hallway, so now that portion of the ceiling if caving in--he's also damaged the walls in his own room, the bathroom and the attic. He uses heavy exercise equipment in his room and skips rope, weightlifts and kickboxes at night. It sounds like a construction site, with all that slamming and banging. He also plays tennis against the walls indoors and has put dents in it. The mother has told him to stop, that he's damaging the house, but he says it's not a big deal because it's his room and he sees no damage.

He has a rolling exercise wheel that he uses all over the house, so now the carpet is rippling up because of it. Because of this wheel, the carpet has bumps all over--the stairs, the living room, the kitchen. Aside from that, he's a hoarder, who has baskets of junk all over the house. He refuses to let her throw anything away, yells at her if she even attempts to move the junk out of the way. Also has a variety of junk in the garden that he refuses to throw away (scooter, an old metal shelf, an old kickboxing dummy) Within weeks of moving in, he planted a row of cactus trees, and refuses to let the mother remove them even though she hates them and constantly complains about them. She explained to him so many times that she doesn't want spikey cactuses infront of her doorstep because they stab her ankles but he does not care. He just insists they are his plants and nobody is to touch them. My sister in law chopped one down a few months ago when he was away on a business trip, and when he returned home HE WENT NUTS and punched a whole in the wall.

I'm rambling, but is this what happens when a boy grows up without a father? Do they need a male figure to put them in their place? Because it seems to me, these men just walk all over their mothers because they've never had authority figure say "shut the fuck up, you're the kid here, behave yourself."

by Anonymousreply 28April 23, 2024 5:24 PM

I don't relate to that at all. My mother was 39 years old when I was born.

by Anonymousreply 1April 23, 2024 12:48 PM

Just sounds like a regular straight guy to me.

by Anonymousreply 2April 23, 2024 12:58 PM

Just sounds like a typical straight asshole to me, not a control freak. How do you know that a father wouldn't have just modeled further straight asshole behavior for him to emulate?

by Anonymousreply 3April 23, 2024 1:05 PM

Your nephew sounds like an asshole. She probably spoiled him by sparing the rod. He needs a good tune up. And he should be paying rent and utilities.. Little fucker. Maybe then he would care more about wrecking the place.

by Anonymousreply 4April 23, 2024 1:06 PM

This entire story is completely made up from thin air. How stupid do you think we are, OP?

by Anonymousreply 5April 23, 2024 1:09 PM

r4 He pays for his own utilities and bills and food. There's no rent.

by Anonymousreply 6April 23, 2024 1:11 PM

Time to evict the lil shit

by Anonymousreply 7April 23, 2024 1:16 PM

He has high functioning autism.

Surely you have realized this?

by Anonymousreply 8April 23, 2024 1:16 PM

"moody, difficult little prick who threw tantrums constantly" = autistic meltdowns

"always did well in school, so he has a good career in the financial sector" high functioning autistics often do well academically and are often good at math

"somehow found a girlfriend to live with, then they broke up (this girlfriend ranted on facebook about him being a hoarder)" high functioning autistics may struggle with relationships due to deficits in people reading, inability to adjust their behavior and lack of empathy.

"he always seems annoyed by her/barely talks to her." that's how we are to everyone

"He leaves dirty clothes and dishes everywhere" High functioning autistics often have deficits in executive function, especially cleanliness

"He's a cheap-ass bitch who refuses to buy new furniture" High functioning autistics are often resistant to change and may attach value/sentimentality to objects which other people would have replaced. They may also be extremely cheap (J Paul Getty charged guests to use his phones)

"He plays loud videos up in his room---meditation videos and finance/politics videos. He refuses to turn down the volume" High functioning autistics often seek to overstimulate their senses with loud music or television

"The mother has told him to stop, that he's damaging the house, but he says it's not a big deal because it's his room and he sees no damage." High functioning autistics may lack the ability to see something from someone else's perspective.

"My sister in law chopped one down a few months ago when he was away on a business trip, and when he returned home HE WENT NUTS " High functioning autistics can have meltdowns when their personal space is intruded on (J Paul Getty, again, insisted on handwashing his own underwear. Richest man in the world.)

"is this what happens when a boy grows up without a father?" no this is what happens when a gene mutates and the entire brain develops differently.

all the information you gave me would have been diagnosed as autism spectrum one (formerly aspergers syndrome) by anyone who has read one PAMPHLET on it. This is why I disagree with the reclassification of Aspergers Syndrome as Autism One, because people still associate autism with retardation. high functioning autistics result in what may best be imagined as a lopsided brain - defecits in interpersonal skills, socialization and executive function with surpluses in the processing of information and recognition of patterns. For example, you just gave me a pattern to recognize. I recognized it by the second paragraph. The fact that you didn't recognize it astounds me. How can people be so blind to something so obvious? You're not unintelligent based on your language skills, and the fact that you segregate your thoughts into paragraphs. Surely it would have crossed your mind once - "hey, this may be that thing that all those people are all saying explains eccentric or unusual behavior, let me Google that." People webMd everything now, don't they webmd this? Simply typing everything you wrote into an AI prompt would have delivered an autism diagnosis. This is not complicated stuff. Do better.

(the last part is exaggerated to show the lack of empathy. seriously you seem like a caring person and you are very observant. you just weren't making all the connections.)

by Anonymousreply 9April 23, 2024 2:08 PM

If this isn't an est, OP, I'd say he's not only a spoiled, disrespectful shit but also has some kind of mental problem. Yes, hoarding for one, so the ex-gf is right.

He has no respect for his mother at all. If I were her, I'd serve him with eviction papers if he won't leave. A constable would make sure he gets out.

by Anonymousreply 10April 23, 2024 2:32 PM

I know I sure am. Goddamn it.

by Anonymousreply 11April 23, 2024 2:33 PM

I have been in this position. changed the locks. Funny how they never see "saving up for the future" as "being fully supported financially by my poor parent '. fucking selfish buttholes

by Anonymousreply 12April 23, 2024 2:42 PM

Also, if he's punching holes in walls he's possibly dangerous and has poor impulse control. It's not inconceivable that he might physically attack his mom.

I've read that small children who cry, scream and throw tantrums too much are disordered.

by Anonymousreply 13April 23, 2024 2:42 PM

OP, dear, why are you so invested in this matter?

You have a family situation that needs a call to someone other than us. It's one case and it's yours, and asking about "control freak" patterns among children raised by single mothers is absurd in this context, or any other.

by Anonymousreply 14April 23, 2024 2:47 PM

If she ever gets the courage to throw him out, she will have a difficult time. She will probably have to go through the court system to evict him even if he isn't paying rent. If he receives usps mail at her home, he is considered a resident regardless if there is no lease or no rent being paid.

These types of manipulators know how to work the legal system.

Remember the 35-year-old son in NY whose parents had to take him to court to evict him and he kept delaying with counter suits such as he didn't have any boxes to pack or his parents threw away his collection of magazines and the Court indulged him. The law is on the side of squatters and lazy adult children. Or the Nanny in CA who refused to get out of the employer's house and wanted cable and internet.

The police can't help in these matters as it is considered a "civil matter". Those who play the court system know that if you lock them out or throw their shit on the front lawn, they can sue you for the value of the housing you were providing until they find equal accommodations. SMDH.

The best thing to do if you stupidly allow someone to live in your home thinking it will be "temporary" is DO NOT allow them to receive mail at your address, it establishes residency. Make them get a PO Box. If they can't afford a PO Box, give them the money for the box. It will be much cheaper than having to evict them.

by Anonymousreply 15April 23, 2024 2:51 PM

Is OP posting from the 1950s?

by Anonymousreply 16April 23, 2024 2:55 PM

I don't see a way out of this situation. He could easily refuse to get a PO box and if his mother tries to legally evict him which takes months anyway things will get even worse and I can easily see him harming her. Sounds like she's fucked.

Of course if this is true. But we are seeing more stories of squatter nightmares lately.

by Anonymousreply 17April 23, 2024 3:06 PM

^You have to require the person get a PO Box BEFORE they move in. It's too late for that in this situation.

I was making suggestions for those who might be considering letting an adult child or any adult move in to save up/get on their feet/blah blah blah.

by Anonymousreply 18April 23, 2024 3:20 PM

This is the type of guy conservatives are trying to foist on young women in hopes of perpetuating the white race.

No wonder they are choosing anything but these loser, rage-filled incels.

by Anonymousreply 19April 23, 2024 3:48 PM

[quote]He didn't move out until he was 25 the first time because he was saving up a nest egg so he wouldn't be living on a tight budget,

He was afraid of living independently.

[quote]came back at 31 to save up again

He struggled living independently and retreated.

[quote]and he moved back home again to save up money. Now, three years have passed and he's still living at home with the mother, saving up money to buy his dream home.

He does not want to live independently. Someone who does not care about having nice possessions does not have a dream home.

Can he live independently? As he appears to hold a job, yes. He will simply need to come to a degree of self awareness and self acceptance.

by Anonymousreply 20April 23, 2024 4:01 PM

These moms become deranged when their sons get girlfriends. The jealousy is unbelievable as it becomes obvious that they want to fuck their sons.

by Anonymousreply 21April 23, 2024 4:10 PM

Ask her if she lied about being on birth control and then tell her about karma.

by Anonymousreply 22April 23, 2024 4:14 PM

He sounds like my dream husband. Is he bi and has a vasectomy?

by Anonymousreply 23April 23, 2024 4:16 PM

R9

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24April 23, 2024 4:29 PM

Being in a position where many fraus feel free to talk in front of me as if I was one of them I've seen the flip side of that, R21. The ones who are past their wits end and know their "little boy" has deep emotional issues and has violent tendencies, but they have given up on helping him. (Some are flat-out afraid of their own sons.) And so, they talk about unloading their monsters on some girl so they don't have to deal with them anymore. Sure, they'll dress it up by saying shit like: "He's just lonely." or "He'll settle down/grow out of it once he has his own family. I can't wait to be a grandma!" or "Once he finds the right woman to take him in hand...", but they are just setting those girls up with a total zero.

Like the guy OP talks about. If he's real, that dude will never amount to shit. Everyone who read it knows that.

by Anonymousreply 25April 23, 2024 4:31 PM

Sounds like he’s just a spoiled little overage brat. Short of putting a contract out on him, there’s little that you can do for your sister, OP. She has to find the strength to get him out of the house. For her sake, I hope she can.

by Anonymousreply 26April 23, 2024 4:50 PM

He sounds muscular working out all day. Turns me on.

by Anonymousreply 27April 23, 2024 5:20 PM

OP, your sister-in-law sounds like a typical pushover; she needs to marry a tough guy who will give his stepson the discipline he needs.

by Anonymousreply 28April 23, 2024 5:24 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!