Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What life lessons, tips or tricks did you learn from a film?

From "Broadcast News" I learned never to spray cologne on my body.....spray it in the air instead and walk through the cloud!

What did YOU learn, and from what film?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29April 22, 2024 9:36 PM

I do that too, and I could never remember where I learned it from until now thank you OP

by Anonymousreply 1April 22, 2024 12:59 AM

That it's possible to be too tight.

Learned from "A Serbian Film."

by Anonymousreply 2April 22, 2024 12:59 AM

But cologne is activated by body heat. If you're walking through a cloud then you're just getting it on your clothing. Unless you're supposed to be nude when you do it? I'll just keep spraying it on my neck and chest.

by Anonymousreply 3April 22, 2024 1:03 AM

That was in another film as well, OP. A teen film from the 1990s perhaps? Was it Clueless?

by Anonymousreply 4April 22, 2024 1:05 AM

[quote] From "Broadcast News" I learned never to spray cologne on my body.....spray it in the air instead and walk through the cloud!

That's terrible outdated advice. Doing that completely wastes about 75% of the fragrance.

by Anonymousreply 5April 22, 2024 1:06 AM

Anyway.....

by Anonymousreply 6April 22, 2024 4:05 AM

Agreed - that whole thing about spraying cologne or perfume in the air was stupid and people thought it was sophisticated. It's not. Plus you're walking right into it getting some of it on your face and even in your mouth.

It's supposed to be on pressure points and other parts of your body that gives off heat.

by Anonymousreply 7April 22, 2024 4:11 AM

I learned that it is in fact exhausting and "terrible" to always be smartest person in the room.

by Anonymousreply 8April 22, 2024 4:18 AM

R8 - It’s awful.

by Anonymousreply 9April 22, 2024 4:28 AM

That I look sexier in tight leather, pumps, and a perm.

by Anonymousreply 10April 22, 2024 4:38 AM

I also learned something from Broadcast News. If you’re wearing a jacket and going to seated pull it down in the back so it’s not bunched up around your shoulders and neck if you’re being filmed or photographed.

by Anonymousreply 11April 22, 2024 4:41 AM

I learned that rare meat at breakfast was an appropriate way to punish children. I also learned that setting lotion is what child whores use to get attention, to get people to look at them.

by Anonymousreply 12April 22, 2024 6:19 AM

Don't Tell Mom the Babysitter's Dead taught me not to be overwhelmed--just take it one step at a time! I often tell myself that before a seemingly daunting project, and I'll be damned if it doesn't work!

by Anonymousreply 13April 22, 2024 9:17 AM

I learned from The American President that you need to go through Dupont Circle to get from the Capitol to the White House, which could hardly be less true.

Seriously, I learned to paint like Paul Jenkins from watching An Unmarried Woman.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14April 22, 2024 9:29 AM

From Goodfellows

Make sure they are dead before you stuff them in your trunk, one to the head just to be sure,

Now back to all the boy talk about perfume.

by Anonymousreply 15April 22, 2024 9:34 AM

What I learned from Broadcast News was that the Mary Tyler Moore Show came from somewhere rather deeper in James L. Brooks' consciousness than it let on. Ted is very clearly the way you write the William Hurt character when you want him to know you REALLY despise him. And of course, both shows are saying the same thing about what is happening to the news.

The perfume thing may have been intended as an indication of how clueless the Holly Hunter character was about anything to do with relationships and sexuality, rather than as sage advice. On the other hand, I can imagine women giving such advice to their daughters in the 1950s. If you got fragrance on your New Look skirt, with all its folds, it might well release progressively when you moved. John Galliano released perfumed sachets that were meant to be hung with his Dior clothes to get this effect.

by Anonymousreply 16April 22, 2024 1:58 PM

I learned that when I'm mad at someone, I just need to put a little Shug Avery pee in their drink, and see how they like THAT.

by Anonymousreply 17April 22, 2024 4:37 PM

R17 Or you could make someone a chocolate pie ala The Help.

by Anonymousreply 18April 22, 2024 4:51 PM

I learned from Final Destination 2 to give PLENTY of space to logging trucks on the highway.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19April 22, 2024 6:13 PM

[quote]It puts the lotion on its skin or it gets the hose again.

I can't tell you how many times I've put this approach into practice. I'm now selling purses and gloves at three different flea markets and getting good prices for the improved quality!

by Anonymousreply 20April 22, 2024 6:17 PM

From Ordinary People, I learned that elder brothers never end up in the hospital.

by Anonymousreply 21April 22, 2024 7:04 PM

that I can't handle the truth

by Anonymousreply 22April 22, 2024 7:04 PM

I learned from long-nailed Valerie Perrine in Lenny how to dial a phone with my knuckle.

by Anonymousreply 23April 22, 2024 7:09 PM

Andy Dufresne from The Shawshank Redemption taught me to get busy living or get busy dying.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24April 22, 2024 7:17 PM

Lord loves a working man, don't trust whitey, see a doctor and get rid of it.

by Anonymousreply 25April 22, 2024 7:23 PM

It goes like it goes, like the river flows.

by Anonymousreply 26April 22, 2024 8:58 PM

Let the river run, r26.

by Anonymousreply 27April 22, 2024 8:59 PM

If someone says, "Don't touch the figs," don't touch the figs.

by Anonymousreply 28April 22, 2024 9:01 PM

Single White Female showed me how useful a stiletto heel can be.

by Anonymousreply 29April 22, 2024 9:36 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!