Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

DL Catnip!!! Let Them Eat … Everything

In the age of Ozempic, the “fat activist” Virginia Sole-Smith is inspiring and infuriating her followers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30April 25, 2024 1:54 AM

Non-paywalled.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1April 21, 2024 2:28 PM

And no one's gettin' fat except Mama Cass.

by Anonymousreply 2April 21, 2024 2:30 PM

I wish we'd educate children more on how being overweight does a number on your heart, kidneys, lungs, and joints - to name a few.

Being obese is really, really unhealthy.

by Anonymousreply 3April 21, 2024 2:32 PM

Those poor kids.

by Anonymousreply 4April 21, 2024 2:37 PM

Disgusting pig

by Anonymousreply 5April 21, 2024 2:43 PM

R1 for some reason that wayback link only gets so far down the article before it grinds to a halt in the middle of the 6th paragraph. But whats there is enough, she's going to train her kids to be as fat as she is, which as R3 quite correctly points out is really unhealthy. Eating themselves into an early grave

by Anonymousreply 6April 21, 2024 2:55 PM

This passage made me laugh out loud:

[quote] What most riles readers who encounter Sole-Smith is the calm assurance with which she lays down arguments that seem to defy common sense. This is especially true when she talks about Oreos, as she has done many times...

by Anonymousreply 7April 21, 2024 2:57 PM

[quote] Sole-Smith announced her separation in September in the most viral issue of Burnt Toast to date, but neither she nor Upham will say why they split.

I think we know why they split.

by Anonymousreply 8April 21, 2024 2:57 PM

These fat activists are getting on my last nerve. Letting them in under the umbrella of body positivity movement was a huge mistake that's now coming back to bite us in the ass.

by Anonymousreply 9April 21, 2024 2:58 PM

R3- She wants to keep stuffing her face with high calorie treats. She does not discuss the health consequences of overeating.

by Anonymousreply 10April 21, 2024 3:00 PM

In the article, she said that if she needs medication to control her cholesterol, she'll take it instead of making lifestyle changes. She's a selfish, self-obsessed woman.

by Anonymousreply 11April 21, 2024 3:25 PM

There's nothing wrong with taking cholesterol meds, R11. It's not always about lifestyle.

by Anonymousreply 12April 21, 2024 3:27 PM

Of course not, r12, but if you have an unhealthy lifestyle like this pig, changes can certainly help. This is what she said:

[quote] At her last checkup, her blood work showed high cholesterol for the first time, and her doctor suggested she limit saturated fats and start baking cookies with margarine. She’s waiting to see her results “in a year when I’m not launching a book and getting divorced,” she said, with a small laugh. If her cholesterol warrants medication at her next visit, “then great. Medication,” she said. “But no. I will not pursue intentional weight loss to manage a cholesterol level.” As she sees it, the risks to her mental health by restricting her diet outweigh whatever other benefit she might gain.

by Anonymousreply 13April 21, 2024 3:33 PM

R10 hence me starting my comment with "I wish we'd educate children more on.."

by Anonymousreply 14April 21, 2024 7:23 PM

“I’m sorry but we don’t carry your size at this boutique, perhaps you can try Torrid. Maybe you come back at another time when our merchandise will fit you.”

by Anonymousreply 15April 21, 2024 7:36 PM

Do these people consider the burden they will be in the future to their loved ones with their limited mobility due to their weight? Maybe they already are a burden and need constant help and assistance with everyday tasks that an average weight person does not need help with.

by Anonymousreply 16April 21, 2024 7:41 PM

[quote]Being obese is really, really unhealthy.

It amazes me that some people don't get scared, and I say this as someone taking Zepbound myself. Every appointment my A1C ticked up a notch, and then I hit pre-diabetic, and I was like "Oh fuck. I cannot inject myself with insulin or constantly check my blood sugar". I had to change.

I've also said on other threads, being fat is literally a pain in the ass. Obesity has exploded since the 1980's, but you know what hasn't gotten bigger? Airplane seats. Seats on amusement rides. Seats on buses or subways. Movie theater seats. Chairs at a dining table at restaurants. Booths at restaurants. She is setting herself up for a lifetime of constant irritation/discomfort.

by Anonymousreply 17April 21, 2024 7:48 PM

I feel fat eating a whole frozen pizza, but then again I try to get the ones over 800 calories.

by Anonymousreply 18April 21, 2024 7:50 PM

Not over 800*

by Anonymousreply 19April 21, 2024 7:50 PM

When I see obese parents feeding their kids junk in large quantities I think abuse… serious obesity (above BMI 35) is at least as bad for you as a couple packs of cigarettes a day. Smoking had diminished incredibly in my lifetime while the incidence of obesity has more than doubled.

by Anonymousreply 20April 21, 2024 8:09 PM

R18 Have you tried heating it up first?

by Anonymousreply 21April 21, 2024 8:19 PM

R12 It's a choice between abusing your body or taking care of it. She is going to die considerably younger, she's inflicting it on her children, and she's complaining that it's everyone else's fault.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22April 21, 2024 8:29 PM

What's frustrating about her philosophy is that she takes grains of truths and twists them to justify her own need to overeat. What's objectionable about it is that she is making money selling that justification to others. She's Food MAGA.

[quote]In Sole-Smith’s house there are neither “good” or “bad” foods nor “healthy” or “unhealthy” ones

I agree with the first half; we attach too much emotional baggage to foods and diet culture is horrible. The second half is bullshit. Broccoli and brownies are not nutritionally equivalent. That is not a value judgment, it's just fact.

[quote]At dinner on this cool night, each girl grabs a brownie and then, after a few bites of broccoli or chicken, wanders off to play

Doesn't this blatantly disprove her theory? The kids aren't treating each food equally; they go for the sweets first and the nutritious food is an afterthought.

[quote]She released her kids from the pressure to politely converse by allowing them to read at the table.

[quote]Another rule to which Sole-Smith fails to adhere is appropriate outerwear, she said, with a laugh. Her girls are always either overdressed or underdressed.

What kind of hippie dippie Montessori school it's all good bullshit is this? I suppose she will eventually free the children from the tyranny of brushing their teeth and being kind to others.

[quote]Through her father, Sole-Smith belongs to the family that founded H.D. Smith, a national pharmaceutical wholesaler acquired in 2018 by AmerisourceBergen.

Well, that tracks.

by Anonymousreply 23April 21, 2024 8:35 PM

Reading at the table, oh dear.

by Anonymousreply 24April 21, 2024 8:38 PM

She sounds like a neglectful mother, at best.

by Anonymousreply 25April 21, 2024 8:39 PM

Neglects herself

by Anonymousreply 26April 21, 2024 8:52 PM

No. She overindulges herself. She's neglectful of her children's health and safety (nutrition and being dressed properly for the weather).

by Anonymousreply 27April 22, 2024 2:50 AM

The article suggests she's obsessed with diets - as applied to any area of life:

"she muses on whether hewing to a household budget, gardening only with native plants, or limiting kids’ screen time can be regarded as diets."

"As she eats, Sole-Smith wonders aloud whether heterosexual marriage itself might be a diet."

Either she has intense underlying issues that she's avoiding, or she knows it's bullshit but persists because - "The most fervent 10 percent of Burnt Toast adherents pay $50 or more per year for extra content, which provides Sole-Smith an annual salary of about $200,000, twice as much as she ever made as a freelance writer. " So, essentially has to double down no matter if she believes it or not and not matter what she actually does in her private life.

by Anonymousreply 28April 25, 2024 12:39 AM

She ferries the girls’ plastic plates to the front-porch table, evading the miniature Bernedoodle, Penelope. A year ago, Sole-Smith published “Fat Talk: Parenting in the Age of Diet Culture,” a guide to helping parents grapple with their discomfort and anxiety about weight and food. At the moment when Ozempic-like drugs are enabling people to become thin, Sole-Smith has become one of the country’s most visible fat activists, calling out the bias and discrimination faced by people in bigger bodies, especially from doctors and research scientists.

She asserts her own right to be “fat,” the preferred adjective in her corner of the internet. In Sole-Smith’s house there are neither “good” or “bad” foods nor “healthy” or “unhealthy” ones; doughnuts and kale hold equivalent moral value and no one polices portion size. By relieving herself and her family of rules about eating, Sole-Smith believes she will have a better chance of raising children who are proud of their bodies, trust themselves to enjoy their food and leave the table when they’re full. She serves dessert and snacks, like Cheez-Its, along with the dinner entree; her kids can eat their meal in any order.

“Fat Talk” is, in a way, Sole-Smith’s manifesto of liberation from what nutritionists call “diet culture”: the enormous pressure American women, in particular, feel to be thin and to raise thin children. For many years, she covered health (including for The New York Times), and her reporting on the pursuit of thinness prompted her rejection of it.

For Sole-Smith, “diet culture” has come to symbolize all the crushing expectations under which American women live. In her Substack newsletter and podcast, Burnt Toast, she muses on whether hewing to a household budget, gardening only with native plants, or limiting kids’ screen time can be regarded as diets.

Sole-Smith separated from her husband Dan Upham last June, and in that upheaval has had to reconsider many family rituals, including dinner. Sole-Smith and Upham attempted a regular dinner hour — Upham said he considered it “sacrosanct” — but when they split, neither child wanted to come to the table at all. And then Sole-Smith hit on a fix: She released her kids from the pressure to politely converse by allowing them to read at the table. Editors’ Picks

RZA of Wu-Tang Clan Has Beef With Meat

Why You Should Add Some Sprints Into Your Workout

How an Ex-N.B.A. Player Is Diversifying Wine One Sip at a Time SKIP ADVERTISEMENT

At dinner on this cool night, each girl grabs a brownie and then, after a few bites of broccoli or chicken, wanders off to play on the large rocks that line the front lawn. As she eats, Sole-Smith wonders aloud whether heterosexual marriage itself might be a diet.

“There’s a thing with marriage where you’re like, ‘But he’s a good guy. But it’s pretty good. Like, this is fine. Like, I shouldn’t blow up our lives,’” she said. At the same time, she continued, “Shouldn’t I want more freedom than this?” Just as Sole-Smith progressed from trying to wrestle her body into thinness in her 20s to accepting herself at 42, she is also trying to relinquish the notion that marriage — “especially to this thin, attractive man who finds me sexy” — is a marker of success.

“We would all do a lot better to be less afraid of divorce, just as we would do a lot better to be less afraid of being fat,” she said. “What if you just let go?”

by Anonymousreply 29April 25, 2024 1:46 AM

Trying to post the final portion of article!!

by Anonymousreply 30April 25, 2024 1:54 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!