Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Cannes Film Festival 2024: Official Thread, Greta Gerwig’s Jury

The programme is announced. I am surprised Francis Ford Coppola’s film is in competition. I guess I’m looking forward to seeing Sebastian Stan play Trump if only for shits and giggles.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14April 26, 2024 6:59 AM

I still can’t believe they think people want to see a Trump movie, especially a young Trump movie. How gross. I’ll bet it pleases nobody.

by Anonymousreply 1April 12, 2024 8:59 AM

Very interested in reviews for Megalopolis, Kinds of Kindness, and Furiosa. Also interested in Rumours with Blanchett and Cronenberg's The Shrouds.

r1 I think our euro juries and critics will go gaga over it, but it will be panned and flop in the US. We love movies that promise some profound insight into American culture, even though it's all oversimplified nonsense. Also, I don't think that many are closely familiar with Trump's origins, and will use this movie as a crash course of sorts.

by Anonymousreply 2April 12, 2024 9:51 AM

If someone is making a Young Trump movie, I wish it were Oliver Stone. I’m thinking about that goofball Dubya movie with Josh Brolin.

by Anonymousreply 3April 12, 2024 9:59 AM

I'm very interested that Zhang Ziyi is back in what looks like a women's lib/#Me Too film (not in competition). Paul Schrader's film sounds like a comedy with Uma Thurman and Richard Gere called "Oh Canada". Has Schrader ever made a comedy before?

And MVP Cate Blanchett is in a film co-directed by Guy Maddin.

by Anonymousreply 4April 12, 2024 10:03 AM

"The Apprentice" is by Iranian-Danish Ali Abbasi and I'm looking forward to the Roy Cohn & Young Donald narrative from that perspective.

by Anonymousreply 5April 12, 2024 11:33 AM

Who plays Barbara Walters?

by Anonymousreply 6April 12, 2024 2:05 PM

R3, Oliver Stone is a conspiracy theorist and Putin devotee who hasn't made a good film in decades. He would be the absolute worst person to make a film about Donald Trump.

by Anonymousreply 7April 12, 2024 2:12 PM

But that’s exactly why his Trump would be high trash, r7!

by Anonymousreply 8April 12, 2024 2:21 PM

I assumed The Brutalist by Brady Corbet would make an appearance. Maybe it’s being saved for Venice. Or maybe it’s shit.

by Anonymousreply 9April 12, 2024 2:22 PM

ENTERTAINMENT LAWYER 04/11 **7**

This Spring film festival has already been rigged for a certain director to win. “Cannes Film Festival”/Francis Ford Coppola

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10April 12, 2024 2:38 PM

And now Eleanor Coppola has passed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11April 13, 2024 8:05 AM

According to Deadline but not listed in the OP article.

Additional French titles by established directors we hear are ready for a potential Cannes splash include Patricia Mazuy’s Les Prisonnières, starring Isabelle Huppert and Hafsia Herzi as women who bond while visiting their husbands in prison.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12April 13, 2024 8:52 AM

Further additions

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13April 24, 2024 7:33 AM

Documentaries on Faye Dunaway, Elizabeth Taylor, and Michel Legrand.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14April 26, 2024 6:59 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!