Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Trillions of Cicadas are about to emerge

They came in that number 3 years ago and they are coming back for a return visit.

According to the article these will be centered in the middle west US and south. These broods are XIII and XIX,

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41May 2, 2024 7:26 PM

Dammit, Moses, let it go!

by Anonymousreply 1April 5, 2024 3:58 PM

I am so excited to watch flyover America bitch about this incessantly.

by Anonymousreply 2April 5, 2024 4:02 PM

I love the sound of cicadas.

by Anonymousreply 3April 5, 2024 4:05 PM

I'm in the south, we always seem to have them.

by Anonymousreply 4April 5, 2024 4:17 PM

Yeah, I'm in Houston and they are always here in the summer. Love sitting outside and listening to them at dusk. Fucking flying cockroaches pretty much ruin after dark outside.

by Anonymousreply 5April 5, 2024 4:23 PM

Good meat for barbecue?

by Anonymousreply 6April 5, 2024 4:25 PM

R6 is the Darfur Orphan or Asian.

by Anonymousreply 7April 5, 2024 4:27 PM

We don't have them in California, but I worked in both Massachusetts and Georgia when they had them, and it's a comforting sound. So nice to see fireflies too, although they're not as numerous as they were in my youth in Chicago.

by Anonymousreply 8April 5, 2024 4:29 PM

Sounds like the apocalypse is upon us leading up until November.

by Anonymousreply 9April 5, 2024 4:49 PM

More south-of-the-border immigrations.

by Anonymousreply 10April 5, 2024 4:53 PM

Looking at the map in OP’s link, most of the affected states are politically red. I therefore predict we’ll hear nothing from MTG about how it’s God’s will because of Biden and the Dems.

by Anonymousreply 11April 5, 2024 6:29 PM

We had a "cicada apocalypse" when I lived in Cincinnati once in the '80s. They were EVERYWHERE. They landed on you and I remember people brushing them off of other people when they entered a store or restaurant. It was awful!

by Anonymousreply 12April 5, 2024 6:45 PM

click bait. they say this every year.

by Anonymousreply 13April 5, 2024 6:47 PM

During an eclipse too

The right wing tinhatters will go nuts

by Anonymousreply 14April 5, 2024 6:48 PM

I noticed cicada shells on my patio this afternoon -- the emergence has BEGUN!

by Anonymousreply 15May 1, 2024 10:37 PM

"Experts say that Brood XIX, which operates on a 13-year cycle, and Brood XIII, which arises every 17 years, are set to appear simultaneously—a coincidence that was last recorded occurring in 1803 and is not expected to occur again until 2076."

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 16May 1, 2024 10:45 PM

Miss Shuster says a swarm is headed this way.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17May 1, 2024 10:52 PM

I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords.

by Anonymousreply 18May 1, 2024 11:38 PM

Cicadas >>>> flyover America

by Anonymousreply 19May 1, 2024 11:40 PM

Rats = NYC

by Anonymousreply 20May 2, 2024 12:01 AM

Guess again, r8. After 20 years in the Midwest, that's what I used to think. I don't recall cicada noise from when I was growing up in N. California. When I moved back, I was surprised to hear those noises on my walks in some areas with heavier tree canopy. Not nearly as loud, but distinctive.

[QUOTE]There are 65 species of cicada in California but none of them are periodical, so California won’t be swarmed.

[QUOTE]Western US cicadas are annual, meaning they emerge in the late spring or early summer, continuing to buzz throughout the summer.

[QUOTE]According to a UC Berkeley publication titled The Cicadas of California, only five of the 65 species in California are found in Sacramento County. One of these species, Okanagana arboraria, is endemic to the Sacramento valley and found in deciduous woodlands along the Sacramento River corridor, according to bugguide.net.

[QUOTE]California generally lacks the widespread, lush, deciduous forests found east of the Rocky Mountains, where cicadas prefer to live. So, although California is far from cicada-free, they aren’t as prevalent as other parts of the country.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21May 2, 2024 12:49 AM

They do not eat anything and they do not bite humans, they just live briefly to fuck and die.

by Anonymousreply 22May 2, 2024 12:56 AM

I really don't want to see this mess

by Anonymousreply 23May 2, 2024 12:59 AM

Get a load of r21 - DL's very own Mrs. Bundy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24May 2, 2024 1:11 AM

Down South there is a canard that cicadas attract venomous copperhead snakes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25May 2, 2024 1:13 AM

We don't have them in the northeast, do they bite?

by Anonymousreply 26May 2, 2024 1:37 AM

What I mostly recall about them from when I was a kid growing up in a mid-Atlantic state is the sound of crunching when walking on sidewalks covered with exoskeletons shed by the bugs. Those shells were ugly, and the bugs that came out of them were ugly. Despite having lived up and down the east coast for decades after that, I’ve thankfully never experienced anything like that again.

by Anonymousreply 27May 2, 2024 2:41 AM

This seems very cool. I wish we got them where I live.

by Anonymousreply 28May 2, 2024 3:18 AM

I hate their noise. The males scream I AM HORNY.

by Anonymousreply 29May 2, 2024 5:04 AM

[quote]they just live briefly to fuck and die.

Honestly, don't we all?

by Anonymousreply 30May 2, 2024 5:28 AM

[quote]We don't have them in the northeast, do they bite?

Unlike NYC rats, they don't bite.

by Anonymousreply 31May 2, 2024 6:18 AM

Can Cicadas Bite?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32May 2, 2024 6:25 AM

R31 is telling us pestilence rats outside of NYC don't exist?

by Anonymousreply 33May 2, 2024 6:25 AM

This isn't a NYC thread. This is about cicadas and one of the most disturbing words in the English language... BROOD

by Anonymousreply 34May 2, 2024 6:27 AM

Don't get in the way of a horny male who only has 2 weeks to procreate.

by Anonymousreply 35May 2, 2024 6:29 AM

you rang?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36May 2, 2024 2:44 PM

God’s revenge for not helping immigrants.

by Anonymousreply 37May 2, 2024 2:50 PM

I’d take listening to cicadas all day every day over lawn mowers, leaf blowers and power washers.

by Anonymousreply 38May 2, 2024 7:08 PM

My dog is eating multitudes of them from the yard.

Do they taste like shrimp 🍤?

by Anonymousreply 39May 2, 2024 7:10 PM

Well, the shells might choke him.

by Anonymousreply 40May 2, 2024 7:14 PM

[Quote] Good meat for barbecue?

Actually yes. I mean, I wouldn’t eat them, because they’re bugs, but they’re actually supposed to be tasty and good for you.

They apparently taste like shrimp with a hint of nuttiness. The best way to eat them is to find a spot where they’re coming up and moulting, and when they’ve shed but are still soft and a whitish color, you pop them in a brown bag and put them in your freezer. Then you cook them just like you’d cook shrimp and add them to the same dishes.

But you should not eat them if you’re allergic to shellfish.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41May 2, 2024 7:26 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!