Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Is killing yourself slowly with alcohol possible?

Yes, I know it must be painful.

by Anonymousreply 71May 4, 2024 4:52 AM

Let me work on testing out this theory. I’ll get back to you . . .

by Anonymousreply 1March 31, 2024 10:09 PM

Live Disease

Cirrhosis

by Anonymousreply 2March 31, 2024 10:11 PM

Amy Winehouse, Veronica Lake, WC Fields, Oliver Reed, Alexander Godunov, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Dylan Thomas, Billie Holiday, Jack Kerouac, Richard Burton, and David Cassidy all died that way.

by Anonymousreply 3March 31, 2024 10:14 PM

Watch "Leaving Las Vegas".

by Anonymousreply 4March 31, 2024 10:16 PM

I prefer killing me softly with his song.

by Anonymousreply 5March 31, 2024 10:18 PM

Possibly the single stupidest question ever asked on DL.

by Anonymousreply 6March 31, 2024 10:18 PM

I no longer drink hard liquor, but drink a bottle of wine and about five beers a day. I'm not fat YET, but at 45, it won't take long.

by Anonymousreply 7March 31, 2024 10:19 PM

Then you must be new, r6.

by Anonymousreply 8March 31, 2024 10:20 PM

Weed is better for you. Assuming you want to live.

by Anonymousreply 9March 31, 2024 10:21 PM

R7 That is WAYYY TOO MUCH. Please cut back

by Anonymousreply 10March 31, 2024 10:21 PM

R7 either 6 beers OR 1 bottle of wine a day. NOT BOTH!

by Anonymousreply 11March 31, 2024 10:22 PM

This is one of those questions that social drinkers never ask, unless they’re deeply concerned about an alcoholic.

by Anonymousreply 12March 31, 2024 10:23 PM

It's a miserable way to go. In addition to pain in joints and various organs, barfing up and shitting bloody mucous, you can't enjoy food and you're itchy all over.

by Anonymousreply 13March 31, 2024 10:23 PM

You probably have a bacterial infection that is affecting your brain and how you absorb alcohol. You need to dry out and talk to a doctor about antibiotics.

by Anonymousreply 14March 31, 2024 10:23 PM

[quote]Assuming you want to live.

I don't, but I don't want to suffer much, either.

I know. Impossible!

by Anonymousreply 15March 31, 2024 10:24 PM

You need professional help, gurl.

by Anonymousreply 16March 31, 2024 10:26 PM

R7 "a bottle of wine and about five beers a day"

Is that considered a lot? Seems like a reasonable amount to me

by Anonymousreply 17March 31, 2024 10:29 PM

Why slowly and not quickly?

by Anonymousreply 18March 31, 2024 10:29 PM

Hurry up!

by Anonymousreply 19March 31, 2024 10:31 PM

Google "esophageal varices" - it's a terrible, terrible way to die.

by Anonymousreply 20March 31, 2024 10:31 PM

I do, r16. My life is just not what I thought it would be at this age. I don't care for my country (Brazil),don't have many friends, single, no kids (male, BTW), I work from home for a salary that covers my bills, and I have a little bit left. The job is easy, but I hate it!

Good question, r18. I guess I'm just a coward.

by Anonymousreply 21March 31, 2024 10:32 PM

R17, what part of Britain are you from?

by Anonymousreply 22March 31, 2024 10:32 PM

OK, you made me laugh, r22! Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 23March 31, 2024 10:34 PM

[quote] Live Disease

One must live to die!

by Anonymousreply 24March 31, 2024 10:42 PM

Smooches, R23!

I'm the last person to turn to with advice on drinking, or anything, really, so I don't judge.

Glad I made you laugh--now can I fix you a plate of fresh calf's liver w/caramelized sweet onions, lime cilantro rice, and a lovely salad with romaine, colored mini-bellpeppers and heirloom tomatoes? That'll give you a nice base upon which to add drink.

Tea cakes with a dusting of grated nutmeg for dessert.

by Anonymousreply 25March 31, 2024 10:44 PM

I thought all Brazilians were supposed to be happy go lucky people without a care in the world.

by Anonymousreply 26March 31, 2024 10:49 PM

r22 must be Greg

by Anonymousreply 27March 31, 2024 10:50 PM

^^Sorry, I meant r25

by Anonymousreply 28March 31, 2024 10:50 PM

R21 do you have a big dick?

by Anonymousreply 29March 31, 2024 10:52 PM

Ha, R27, that's a good one. But, no. Last week I realized I hadn't cooked calf's liver in a very long time, so I made an Easter dinner of it for my old Dad. Kitchen smells delicious.

Been here 20+ years now, so pretty sure I predate Greg.

Though I do love my prunes... so, there's that.

by Anonymousreply 30March 31, 2024 10:55 PM

I'm average in everything, r29!

❤ r25!

I'll probably won't be able to have a coherent conversation very soon, so, forgive me if I "disappear."

And yes, I'll look at this thread tomorrow morning and feel very ashamed.

To quote Charlie Brown: Good grief!

As always you guys are all great!😘

by Anonymousreply 31March 31, 2024 11:01 PM

[quote] As always you guys are all great!

We are your reason to live.

by Anonymousreply 32March 31, 2024 11:05 PM

Please, Honey/R31, you'll have to get up pretty early in the morning to top me in the "disappear" category; bane of my existence, but 30 years of therapy haven't cured me of it yet.

Please be kind to yourself.

by Anonymousreply 33March 31, 2024 11:07 PM

[quote] [R25] must be Greg.

I’d never say “smooches.”

by Anonymousreply 34March 31, 2024 11:32 PM

[quote] Been here 20+ years now, so pretty sure I predate Greg.

R30, I’m sorry, but I’ve been on DL since 1995.

by Anonymousreply 35April 1, 2024 12:32 AM

I'm sorry, but I've been on DL since 1909.

by Anonymousreply 36April 1, 2024 12:37 AM

A bottle of wine and 5 beers per day is alcoholism. There's no "cutting back." OP already did cut back (stopped using hard liquor). OP needs to medically detox.

by Anonymousreply 37April 1, 2024 12:40 AM

Yes, but do it classically! Consumption!

by Anonymousreply 38April 1, 2024 12:43 AM

R31 Sounds like you are having a lovely Easter Sunday. Good for you. Sending love right back your way. I appreciate this band of crazy bitches more now than ever. Peace to y'all

by Anonymousreply 39April 1, 2024 12:46 AM

Yes.

Sadly, a friend of mine did that. He was a beautiful soul, and a very quiet drinker. He was fine and then, boom, we all got a call that he was in organ failure. His liver was shutting down. Died a few days later.

Very sad.

by Anonymousreply 40April 1, 2024 12:54 AM

OP don't be ridiculous! Are you some hippie with bare dirty feet????

by Anonymousreply 41April 1, 2024 12:56 AM

OP how's the plan going?

by Anonymousreply 42May 2, 2024 8:27 AM

[quote]Watch "Leaving Las Vegas".

Better yet, don't watch "Leaving Las Vegas." Terrible movie with a screenplay that seems like a film student's thesis. Totally contrived with zero relation to real life.

by Anonymousreply 43May 2, 2024 8:41 AM

Possible and fun

by Anonymousreply 44May 2, 2024 8:43 AM

DL is full of experts on this topic, despite the natural attrition.

by Anonymousreply 45May 2, 2024 8:45 AM

[quote]Possibly the single stupidest question ever asked on DL.

I thought the winner of that prize belonged to David E's infamous, "Why are straight me so stupid?"

by Anonymousreply 46May 2, 2024 8:54 AM

OP, follow the liver cleansing diet and keep drinking.

by Anonymousreply 47May 2, 2024 8:56 AM

Yes, it's possible.

Chronic ethanolism can lead to a condition called alcoholic ketoacidosis. There have been cases where people basically get sick and there's no coming back and they just die.

Last year, the Chicago M.E.'s report on actor, Jeffrey Carlson (age 48), indicated he died of that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48May 2, 2024 9:05 AM

Think I will do the same thing. Too much of a pussy to make quickly

by Anonymousreply 49May 2, 2024 9:15 AM

Yes, OP, my ex was doing this, and its a horrible way to go. Please get help, there is much more than just AA available now if that doesnt appeal to you, there is Smart recovery, plus there are a number of new medications such as Naltrexone or Acamprosate that will help you stay off it, plus there's all sorts of other support groups online as well. Go talk to your doctor and be utterly upfront and honest with him

And "a bottle of wine and about five beers a day" is WAY too much, that's alcoholism like what R37 and R10 said. Y'all gotta just stop else it'll kill you dead and not nicely either.

It also does sound like there is some depression issues going on. Alcohol WILL make those worse, and if you drink on top of antidepressants, especially SSRI's, its gonna be a fucking shitshow. I seen it with my ex and it aint no fun to be around let alone live through.

by Anonymousreply 50May 2, 2024 9:17 AM

R50 "It also does sound like there is some depression issues going on"

You think? Why else would anyone want to kill themselves

by Anonymousreply 51May 2, 2024 9:20 AM

I saw it up close with my 35-hear-old closeted cousin who worked for his father in the hotel business. They fell out over my cousin's refusal to fly coach when he went off to audit the hotels and he was fired. We would see each other in NYC and one day I showed up with a few friends. My cousin had 5 martinis delivered to the table. One for each of us I thought. But they were for all him. The first one he had to sip without picking it up. By the fifth one he could bring the glass to his mouth. The next time I saw him he had gin blossoms breaking out on his face and within a few short months he was dead. So if you really put your mind to it, you can kill yourself quickly.

by Anonymousreply 52May 2, 2024 10:05 AM

Since no one said it yet, OP:

CAN I HAVE YOUR STUFF?

by Anonymousreply 53May 2, 2024 10:09 AM

Yes. I have seen it. It was very ugly at the end.

by Anonymousreply 54May 2, 2024 10:24 AM

I’m a mental health nurse working in addictions. We get to know people over many years through all their struggles. I’ve lost count of the number of people who died of liver failure or myopathy because they kept going back to drinking.

The saddest deaths are when someone stops drinking for long enough to lose their tolerance to alcohol, then drinks at the same level they used to, causing alcohol poisoning. I hate my job sometimes.

by Anonymousreply 55May 2, 2024 10:26 AM

What r55 describes is what happened to Amy Winehouse.

by Anonymousreply 56May 2, 2024 10:36 AM

It must be more painful for the person who's killing themselves this way, but it's less painful for the family, than putting a rope around your neck would be

by Anonymousreply 57May 2, 2024 12:53 PM

OP you can certainly continue to drink yourself slowly to death. I’ve watched many people do it. Usually, though, they end up in excruciating and progressive agony, as their bodily systems shut down. There are, as said above, many options out there now for recovery and the cheapest and most accessible is AA. There are meetings 24/7 online. Many of us felt that our lives were miserable and then we stopped pouring poison in our bodies and miraculously shit turned around.

by Anonymousreply 58May 2, 2024 1:12 PM

Oh no R57, it’s much worse! It drags on forever and at some point, you’re just really exhausted. I’d rather had my friend kill himself by jumping in front of a train then through alcoholism.

by Anonymousreply 59May 2, 2024 2:56 PM

Yes- both acutely from huge intake quickly and chronic heavy drinking leading to alcohol associated disease and pathology.

This question was about as informed as “does one get wet when walking jumping into the water?”

by Anonymousreply 60May 2, 2024 3:00 PM

Yes it is possible.

Sadly I lost a friend almost a decade ago, now (hard to believe). Many of us had no idea that he was a drinker....he was a subtle one but apparently drank enough that he went into liver failure, then total renal failure, and died.

He was a kind, caring man who cared about the world and everything around him and wanted to make it better.....and perhaps didn't have the boundaries or protective shell many of us have, and he took many things deeply to heart. He did work that made a difference in the world. I miss him and think of him often.

by Anonymousreply 61May 2, 2024 3:09 PM

R59 But suicide is the most painful type of death for family and close ones. If you die from organ failure, no one will treat it as a suicide

by Anonymousreply 62May 2, 2024 3:16 PM

^^^True the cause of death will be listed as "Organ failure."

by Anonymousreply 63May 2, 2024 3:20 PM

[quote]OP needs to medically detox.

*Medically* being the key word here. Don't do it without a doctor's supervision.

by Anonymousreply 64May 2, 2024 3:26 PM

R6

Not remotely close. Not even in the top 100.

by Anonymousreply 65May 2, 2024 3:27 PM

[quote]It must be more painful for the person who's killing themselves this way, but it's less painful for the family, than putting a rope around your neck would be

Wrong, R57, its actually far worse and much harder on all those around them. Been there done that got the shitty T shirt

by Anonymousreply 66May 2, 2024 9:24 PM

I drank heavily for eighteen years. My doctor took scans of my liver and told me I had about a year to live if I didn't stop drinking. It was a wake-up call. I got sober. Twenty years later, I have dementia, and my neurologist told me my overuse of alcohol contributed heavily to the damage in my brain. I likely won't be around in five years, and I won't reach 70 years. So much for a happy retirement. I haven't traveled in five years.

by Anonymousreply 67May 2, 2024 9:42 PM

Take up tennis a smoke a little weed. Then life's good.

by Anonymousreply 68May 2, 2024 9:48 PM

R66 No buying it. Suicide would scared them a lot more

by Anonymousreply 69May 3, 2024 7:05 PM

It took my dad 45 years to get to the bleeding out death stage. But he accelerated it the last couple weeks with vodka and no food.

by Anonymousreply 70May 3, 2024 8:58 PM

R67, I'm so sorry to hear that. I wish you well. My mom quit smoking in her 40s and still ended up dying from lung cancer.

by Anonymousreply 71May 4, 2024 4:52 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!