Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Anyone else quit going on Reddit?

People are so nasty on there and it’s toxic af.

by Anonymousreply 154May 3, 2024 6:13 AM

[quote]People are so nasty on there and it’s toxic af.

Datalounge doesn't stand for that sort of thing.

by Anonymousreply 1February 17, 2024 1:38 AM

I fucking love Reddit. So fun. So many subs to get off on.

But nothing beats DL. Only here can we have a 300+ reply thread on Lois Nettleton. DL wins.

by Anonymousreply 2February 17, 2024 1:41 AM

Reddit is as stupid as ever but DL seems to be getting nastier. There are a lot of posts lately where crimes committed by immigrants or non-white Americans are highlighted. It feels like The Daily Stormer sometimes.

by Anonymousreply 3February 17, 2024 2:11 AM

DL can definitely be nasty too but I tend to ignore the bigots and pay more attention to the funny and witty comments.

by Anonymousreply 4February 17, 2024 2:37 AM

Redditors are just so smug and full of themselves.

by Anonymousreply 5February 17, 2024 2:37 AM

R3 Yeah I really wish something could be done about the racists and trolls on here because otherwise it’d be perfect.

by Anonymousreply 6February 17, 2024 2:38 AM

I’m with R5. Everyone on Reddit is unbearably sanctimonious. I don’t even think they believe half the shit they self-righteously spout, they just want upvotes from other automatons. At least in DL you get called out for that bullshit. I’m a grown up, I can ignore race baiters and I ALSO understand that not every thread here where race comes up is not inherently rac-IST.

by Anonymousreply 7February 17, 2024 2:46 AM

No I enjoy it

by Anonymousreply 8February 17, 2024 2:54 AM

Anyone else get tired of getting downvoted for shitty answers?

by Anonymousreply 9February 17, 2024 3:02 AM

I get tired of their stupid little catchphrases.

by Anonymousreply 10February 17, 2024 3:06 AM

R7 here, oh dearing myself.

by Anonymousreply 11February 17, 2024 3:07 AM

Reddit is:

60% people talking out of their asses about things they don't understand

20% sob stories that have nothing to do with the topic at hand (abuse, poverty, illness and addiction)

10% cliches and platitudes

10% intelligent conversation

by Anonymousreply 12February 17, 2024 3:20 AM

Some Reddit is ok. I never comment because of too much from the feelings police.

by Anonymousreply 13February 17, 2024 3:34 AM

Reddit is full of 14 olds.

I’ll write a careful explanation in answer to a question someone asked and get downvoted or zero response.

I write some stupid shit and get 4k upvotes.

by Anonymousreply 14February 17, 2024 2:54 PM

People on Reddit can't even insult you properly.

by Anonymousreply 15February 17, 2024 3:06 PM

R12, I love how Redditors feel compelled to share all their mental issues at the drop of a hat.

It could be a subreddit about something utterly mundane like interior lighting, and those fuckers will somehow find a way to make the thread all about themselves. Someone will comment on someone's photo, implying they would have done it differently, and the OP will start their pity spiel "I did the best I could I am struggling to make ends meet due to my being on disability for 'crippling' anxiety", and then we are off to the Suffering Olympics races. Someone will reply that they empathize with OP because they too have anxiety as a comorbidity of their Stage 7 cancer and Asperger's syndrome. Then someone else will say they are coping with Asperger's and ADHD and obesity, etc.

by Anonymousreply 16February 17, 2024 9:12 PM

R16 Almost everyone on Reddit seems to have autism and ADHD. It's eye-rolling for me at this point.

Funny how nobody seems to claim to have narcissism (the other disorder du jour).

by Anonymousreply 17February 17, 2024 9:17 PM

Everybody’s mother on Reddit is a narcissitic bipolar bitch. “Just because my father blew his head off in front of her she tries to play the sympathy card. I was stealing because she wasn’t giving me enough attention, so what? She wants to kick me out. I was only hospitalized twice in the past 6 months and arrested only once. Fucking bitch.”

by Anonymousreply 18February 17, 2024 9:18 PM

No one is ever nasty on the music or pets subreddits that I visit

by Anonymousreply 19February 17, 2024 9:30 PM

Excuse me R17 they are [italic] neurodivergent. (/italic]. Quit mislabeling them it’s very hurtful.

“All you normies thinking everyone else us “normal” while you sit in your gigantic boomer houses that the poor neurodivergent masses of zoomers and millenials will never be able to afford [italic] in their entire lifetimes [/italic] because boomers won’t die already and then Gen X will inherit the giant boomer mansions anyway. Al Bundy was able to afford a wife, kids and a big house on a shoe salesman salary!!! Hang on, my DoorDash order is here - $50 for a quarter pounder and fries because of all the tacked on fees. But I have to pay it because I can’t go out because my crippling social anxiety is giving me a panic attack and also I’m high af. Plus I totaled my car last week after I got fired for tm3 theft, but I reported imy car was stolen as soon as it happened. I walked to the hospital to get treated and tried to give them a fake name and said I didn’t have any ID because it got stolen when I was carjacked but they wanted to call the police and I’m still on parole from that last thing…”

by Anonymousreply 20February 17, 2024 9:33 PM

R19 Try venturing onto anything remotely related to politics or news. I personally like reddit for cat pictures and benign things but I really dislike reddit for their hivemind and the fact that you get downvoted heavily just for saying something that's true but which they do not want to hear. There's no wit and no interesting discussion there because of that. I get far more interesting discussion and views from twitter.

by Anonymousreply 21February 17, 2024 9:34 PM

[quote]Try venturing onto anything remotely related to politics or news.

No, thank you. Not there. Not here.

by Anonymousreply 22February 17, 2024 9:38 PM

I have a few places I visit on Reddit.

Most of it for great dick shots.

by Anonymousreply 23February 17, 2024 9:42 PM

I enjoy it for the travel subs, which DL queens snub, because the world is so dangerous and they can get all the exotic they need at Olive Garden and Panda Express. Or the Home Depot parking lot for Latino cock.

by Anonymousreply 24February 17, 2024 9:46 PM

R18, you forgot the part about "going no-contact"!

Yes, but everyone ELSE is a Narcissist. Everyone else is a gaslighter. Uh-huh.

by Anonymousreply 25February 17, 2024 9:47 PM

Here is my take from a thread a couple of years ago:

Reddit is fine in theory. But three things I hate about the platform:

1. It's a huge circle jerk. This is directly related to the voting system. A single downvote leads to a piling-on effect and dissent within subs is not tolerated, by design. After 5 or 6 DVs replies are hidden.

2. Each sub has particular "rules". Nothing worse than typing up a thoughtful OP, hitting "post," and then immediately seeing " this post has been removed." Certain words or phrases trigger an instantaneous deletion. These "rules" are esoteric and it's hard to know why, exactly, your post was removed.

3. In my experience, most subs do not allow any discussion about or criticism of the sub itself. I suppose this is also true of DL to a certain degree, but on Reddit it seems much worse. So, for example, you can't discuss the arbitrary rules referenced at 2. Mods have too much power and can ban users and delete posts on a whim.

I tried Reddit for several months during the pandemic to kill time when I was stuck at home. But ultimately, 1, 2, and 3 made it too unpalatable for me.

by Anonymousreply 26February 17, 2024 9:50 PM

You can’t say cunt on Reddit because it’s hate speech.

by Anonymousreply 27February 17, 2024 9:55 PM

^Instagram is worse. WOKE is hate speech.

by Anonymousreply 28February 17, 2024 9:56 PM

[quote]I enjoy it for the travel subs, which DL queens snub, because the world is so dangerous and they can get all the exotic they need at Olive Garden and Panda Express. Or the Home Depot parking lot for Latino cock.

Are you kidding? In my experience it's Redditors who claim that everything's dangerous. Or that you MUST leave your partner the minute he/she does anything other than Pollyanna conduct.

by Anonymousreply 29February 17, 2024 9:59 PM

[quote]I have a few places I visit on Reddit. Most of it for great dick shots.

Especially uncut ones. Reddit is second only to Bel Ami for uncut dick pics.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30February 17, 2024 10:00 PM

"I go to the obviously-controversial subreddits and things get ugly. How weird!"

by Anonymousreply 31February 17, 2024 10:05 PM

Like this place isn’t 100 times worse!

by Anonymousreply 32February 17, 2024 10:08 PM

On Reddit, everyone KNOWS a narcissist. But no one IS a narcissist.

The math ain't mathin'.

by Anonymousreply 33February 17, 2024 10:16 PM

I’m amazed people will watch 12,000 videos of “look how delivery guy left my package!!” And “look at this entitled Karen!!” and it’s some obviously severely mentally ill person.

There’s “what’s this bird” and “what’s this plant?” with the most obvious subjects that can be looked up on Google image in 2 seconds flat.

“That’s an American Robin, OP.”

“That’s called a dandelion.”

by Anonymousreply 34February 17, 2024 10:17 PM

[quote]Like this place isn’t 100 times worse!

Can you imagine if DL had downvoting?!?

by Anonymousreply 35February 17, 2024 10:21 PM

On the nyc sub that there's an auto pinned notice any time a NYPost story is linked. It's so triggering that advance warning must be given. I know the paper is garbage but c'mon. Their migrant crime wave stories are amusing to read because they're pushing it so hard.

Idiotsincars is infuriating because they hate when someone in front merges into their lane. And the other driver uses their directional too. What's the problem here? Oh that's right, you're speeding.

It's very sad when you peak into the Israel/Hamas war news. The hardcore Israel supporters will just counter with "this could all end if Hamas would just surrender." They will not admit any fault on the Israeli side.

by Anonymousreply 36February 17, 2024 10:27 PM

I'm surprised that the nursing subreddit is still up. Plenty of people on there have admitted to lying on medical charts and medical records. They encourage nurses to do shady as fuck things.

by Anonymousreply 37February 17, 2024 10:28 PM

But but there’s dick pics!

by Anonymousreply 38February 17, 2024 10:33 PM

I got into Reddit while I was living in Seattle but still had a home just outside of Albuquerque. I liked reading those subs plus the one on cute pets. Reddit does have hive mind and in some ways it's getting worse. So many answers are just flippant, not witty, and don't add the to the topic being discussed. Still there are some knowledgeable posters to keep it interesting.

by Anonymousreply 39February 17, 2024 11:54 PM

80% of answers are quotes from cartoons, video games or Monty Python movies.

by Anonymousreply 40February 18, 2024 12:44 AM

I mostly follow miniatures and dioramas pages - just a bunch of benign nerds.

by Anonymousreply 41February 18, 2024 12:59 AM

I sometimes look through the subreddit of a TV show I’m addicted to in hopes of finding things that escaped me or to better understand an episode. You’ll get some really interesting questions and answers, but you have to wade through the 14 year olds who are in love with so-and-so. Succession was a good example. For every question about the dynamics of the relationships, you’d get omg, Jeremy is sooo cute! I ❤️ him 4-ever!!! Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 42February 18, 2024 1:00 AM

The Hilaria Baldwin subreddit is fun to read. I'm not a fan of Alec and Hilaria, but the posters over there aren't better than the Baldwins.

by Anonymousreply 43February 18, 2024 1:19 AM

I thought it was 100% urban hipster SJW hell, but there is a formidable mug cradling DH citing frau crowd too and they are fucking dumb.

by Anonymousreply 44February 18, 2024 1:34 AM

I rarely go there except for updates on true crime. People are nasty know-it-alls on all social media. At least on DL you expect it and it’s sprinkled with wit and dark dark humor.

by Anonymousreply 45February 18, 2024 1:36 AM

I read and sometimes post on the HGTV subreddit and like other subs that people are mentioning here, it's about half people commenting on the show itself, and half who are being big teenage girls all, "I just love [fill in the host name]!!! ❤️❤️❤️" sort of shit.

by Anonymousreply 46February 18, 2024 1:45 AM

This kind of makes me want to check Reddit out.

by Anonymousreply 47February 18, 2024 1:56 AM

R19, you must not frequent r/indieheads. Those hipsters are the very definition of sanctimonious.

by Anonymousreply 48February 18, 2024 2:00 AM

It's better than TikTok...I can't even tell someone to go die in a greasefire. I have to say go unalive yourself in a greasefire....so stupid.

by Anonymousreply 49February 18, 2024 2:13 AM

"People come up to me all the time and tell me about Reddit. This guy - very big guy - came up to me with tears in his eyes, and said, "Sir, sir...I used to enjoy going on Reddit but now its a cess pool. So many liberals on there trying to discuss intelligent stuff. Can't you do something about it ?" I told him to go to my website and donate to my campaign. I'll take that money and create a new platform - just like I did with Truth Social. This time, I will compete with Redditt and call it Trumpitt. No liberal bull. It will be all Trump truth. I will bury Reditt like I buried Twitter - or X - or whatever the hell he calls it now. So go to my Presidential campaign website and donate now. I'll see you all next week on Trumpitt. "

by Anonymousreply 50February 18, 2024 2:21 AM

How can you hate Reddit? You just gotta go to the good sub Reddit’s, like NFL Bulges!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51February 18, 2024 2:27 AM

Oh yummers!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52February 18, 2024 2:35 AM

r/antinatalism is creepy, cringe and a dark look into the mind of GenZ.

by Anonymousreply 53February 18, 2024 3:55 AM

Not to be reverse-ageist, but Reddit started skewing too young and reactionary for me. I have nephews and nieces in this age range, so it's not like I have no love for them, but many of the subs that I used to enjoy are now unreadable.

by Anonymousreply 54February 18, 2024 4:01 AM

R43, many of the Redditors in the Baldwin sub are certifiable. I can’t stand the Baldwins, either, but awhile back someone posted that Alex was probably molesting his toddler— and they were serious— and it got a bunch of upvotes. They think he deliberately murdered that lady on the movie set, etc. There’s a big QANON component there. I used to go to laugh at the Hilaria pictures but the crazy posters were just as compelling. Now I find it pathetic, all around.

by Anonymousreply 55February 18, 2024 8:00 PM

In my flyoverstan town, there’s a whore posts dumb responses about hating the place when in reality he’s sucked off everyone in town. How lame could it be if you find action everywhere?

by Anonymousreply 56February 18, 2024 8:09 PM

R55, I am genuinely disturbed by a large segment of young female Redditers who see or infer sexual abuse in every situation -- with there being absolutely no basis to such ugly accusations.

What's wrong with them?

by Anonymousreply 57February 18, 2024 8:40 PM

R33, similarly, everyone who works in the service industry provides exemplary customer service.

I’ve used DoorDash/UberEats about eight times in my life. I never ask for anything ‘special’, just order off the menu, no drinks, etc. I do ask for plastic cutlery because I only order this service while staying in a hotel. My order has been fucked up every time with the exception of once while I was staying in Paris. The rest of the times I was in the US. It’s been well over an hour late/cold, many times no cutlery, no dressing, etc. I pre tip 20-25% and I don’t change it afterward, despite the poor experience. I just stopped using the services altogether.

According to delivery drivers on these services’ subreddits, they all provide impeccable service and they all SHOULD be making $100,000 per year. You should be tipping them at LEAST 30%, (but more like 35%+) but everyone who uses their services are millionaires who never tip. Womp womp.

by Anonymousreply 58February 18, 2024 8:41 PM

I’m a frau and I don’t get it. You’re not even allowed to say a young person is attractive anymore. They’re in their prime, and looks don’t last forever— yet we’re no longer permitted to acknowledge it while it’s there. It’s human nature to appreciate beauty— but now it’s problematic to express that.

I don’t know if it is jealousy in guise of righteousness or what— that’s what it seems like to me.

And sometimes looks are all a kid has going for them!

by Anonymousreply 59February 18, 2024 8:56 PM

R59, I'm going to go out on a limb and say the majority of those scolds are females under 30.

They made a formerly enjoyable sports-related sub completely unreadable.

by Anonymousreply 60February 18, 2024 8:58 PM

The Reddit paranormal sub is always good for chuckles after a stressful day. Highly recommend. And of course we all know about the Datalounge sub, not affiliated with Mediapolis--just a weird sub started up by some disgruntled DLer who got kicked off the real DL or put on Quiet Time.

The subs for doctors and nurses have given me both more sympathy and contempt for the people who hold my life in their hands. A lot of them seem to despise their patients, but I guess that's partly why they're on Reddit.

by Anonymousreply 61February 19, 2024 12:30 AM

Quitting Reddit for The Data Lounge? Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

by Anonymousreply 62February 19, 2024 12:53 AM

I would never patronize a site that did not have at least 35 Ben Barnes threads. Uncivilized.

by Anonymousreply 63February 19, 2024 2:45 AM

[quote] The subs for doctors and nurses have given me both more sympathy and contempt for the people who hold my life in their hands. A lot of them seem to despise their patients, but I guess that's partly why they're on Reddit.

I sometimes read those subs and relate a bit to the posters because I worked as a social worker in the healthcare field for close to ten years. I can relate to some of their frustration regarding patients who are non-compliant or are entitled assholes. I dealt with a shit like that and it's frustrating and over time you end up despising those specific clients and you dread each time you have to meet with them. There are posts on those subs about entitled family members or spouses of patients and that's another thing I could relate to. There were many times that the clients themselves were perfectly fine to deal with, but their spouses or adult children would make things harder than they had to be.

by Anonymousreply 64February 19, 2024 2:13 PM

I lost interest in Reddit ages ago. People are incredibly dumb on Reddit.

by Anonymousreply 65February 19, 2024 2:26 PM

I use Reddit for my niche interests and some TV discussion. It’s fine. There’s never been a forum in the history of the internet that didn’t have its share of trolls, idiots, and annoying posters.

by Anonymousreply 66February 19, 2024 2:33 PM

R65 so are people on DL. Even more so.

by Anonymousreply 67February 19, 2024 2:33 PM

On the twoxchromosomes sub there was a woman who said her gay brother in law and his husband slutshamed her for having an onlyfans. Which one of you bitches shamed her?

by Anonymousreply 68February 19, 2024 2:47 PM

R64, your comments interest me a lot. At the risk of threadjacking, may I ask if non-compliant patients are always disliked? I've wondered about this, because I have a history of refusing to be treated for pre-cancerous lesions (e.g., I said no to major surgery and chemo-prevention). I specifically told the docs I was assuming liability so they wouldn't be anxious about lawsuits.

Am I the kind of non-compliant patient medical professionals dread dealing with? I have wondered and worried about it. Would welcone your thoughts.

by Anonymousreply 69February 19, 2024 4:25 PM

R69 R64 here. If you are treating the healthcare professionals politely while still refusing treatments, then they might not dread dealing with you. The non-compliant patients I couldn't stand were the ones who were very nasty and verbally abusive and still had the attitude that healthcare workers had to bend over backwards for them despite there being situations in which they weren't any viable alternatives. I would say it comes down to your demeanor while refusing treatments and signing AMAs/waivers probably won't irritate them too much.

by Anonymousreply 70February 19, 2024 5:54 PM

R70, I so appreciate your response. That's exactly what I needed to know. I appreciate your taking the time. 🙏

by Anonymousreply 71February 19, 2024 10:24 PM

[quote] reverse-ageist

Redundant. There’s agism and racism.

You say this as if old people can’t be agist.

Reverse racism: also not a thing.

by Anonymousreply 72February 19, 2024 10:42 PM

Some of the subs are hilariously nasty, like the r/Hilaria Baldwin one.

But I'm only a passive user - I never engage there. I agree that it can be utterly sanctimious and insufferable, unpredictability so at times. I once made a very tame joke about veganism and you'd think I was the Antichrist based on the immediate pile on.

by Anonymousreply 73February 19, 2024 11:55 PM

Unpredictably*

by Anonymousreply 74February 19, 2024 11:56 PM

R73 The sanctimonious and insufferable attitudes of a lot of posters are r/HilariaBaldwin are fun to laugh at. Some of them are annoying and try to overreach. I recall that many of them who aren't New Mexico residents talked about contacting Governor Michelle Lujan Grisham's office or the NM AG's office regarding the Rust case.

by Anonymousreply 75February 20, 2024 12:08 AM

R75, they are interesting and they’re funny in the sense that many of the posters in that sub have no self-awareness, as many of them are parents themselves, yet apparently spend hours a day poring over years-old photos of the Baldwins looking for proof of abuse or neglect. It’s hard not to think of THEIR own kids wondering WTF mom is doing on her phone all day zooming in on photos of kids she doesn’t even know, when her own kids are right there.

It’s the same shit moms pull in real life, always looking for faults in others but blind to the worst of their own. The ones who keep reporting Alec to Child Protective Services crack me up, but again, full blown mental illness and people there validate it and encourage it— that’s what’s wrong with Reddit. Smelly shut-ins eating each others’ shit.

And the “pedo” obsession, Jesus fucking Christ.

by Anonymousreply 76February 20, 2024 4:33 AM

R76 “And the “pedo” obsession, Jesus fucking Christ.”

Ngl that’s one of the reasons I don’t really enjoy to be on Reddit. Sometimes I just want to talk about David Bowie’s music in peace without someone rushing to bring up Lori Maddox’s alleged account of losing her virginity to him in a thread that has nothing to do with that btw.

by Anonymousreply 77February 20, 2024 6:09 AM

DL offers less accountability than Reddit because there's no downvoting. Thus you'll find more incredibly nasty people on DL who come here to rip the shit out of strangers, DL was always spicy but there used to be a lot more wit involved. Reddit is such a mixed bag. The quality of each sub depends a lot on moderation, and some moderators sanitize topics.

by Anonymousreply 78February 20, 2024 6:12 AM

Idk, as nasty as this place can be, I still prefer it over Reddit.

by Anonymousreply 79February 20, 2024 6:13 AM

[quote] And the “pedo” obsession, Jesus fucking Christ.

The women under 30 of Reddit seemingly hurl the accusation of 'pedo' around like they're announcing today's weather.

by Anonymousreply 80February 20, 2024 6:13 AM

R78 = cunt redditor.

by Anonymousreply 81February 20, 2024 6:15 AM

R80 I get it when it comes to living celebrities who are potentially harming people as we speak, but I don’t get the point in harping on about age gap relationships that happened decades and decades ago. The fauxmoi and popculturechat subs are obsessed with doing this.

by Anonymousreply 82February 20, 2024 6:16 AM

[quote] but I don’t get the point in harping on about age gap relationships that happened decades and decades ago

I don't get the fucking point on harping about age-gap relationships [bold]TODAY[/bold] as long as both parties are legal adults (i.e. over 18 or 21)? Do you?

by Anonymousreply 83February 20, 2024 6:18 AM

R83 Other people clearly do as evidenced by the obsession with DiCaprio’s “love life.” I also don’t care as much when the celebrities are long dead and nothing can be done about it. Sorry not sorry.

by Anonymousreply 84February 20, 2024 6:23 AM

I found a story on the relationship advice subreddit where a 17 year old wanted to break up with his 21 year old girlfriend. Apparently he had decided that the age gap was creepy and she was doing something that approached grooming. I've never experienced such intense secondhand embarrassment.

by Anonymousreply 85February 20, 2024 6:24 AM

[quote] [R83] Other people clearly do as evidenced by the obsession with DiCaprio’s “love life.

And these same little bitches want to be treated like they're ADULT WOMEN, except when it actually comes to taking ACCOUNTABILITY and RESPONSIBILITY the way a presumably ADULT WOMAN does.

by Anonymousreply 86February 20, 2024 6:25 AM

R85 that generation is fucked.

by Anonymousreply 87February 20, 2024 6:25 AM

They’re obsessed with grooming and pedophilia. I wish I could mute those words forever.

by Anonymousreply 88February 20, 2024 6:28 AM

^ Those 2 subreddits (r/fauxmoi and r/popculturechat) seem to attract the same crowd that used to be on ONTD. I quit ONTD years ago because of the incessant woke shit. Like R78 said - every sub is different. The larger it is, the more likely there are going to be annoying people. I have no problem skimming and reading selectively, but it's certainly tedious to see how some topics get run into the ground. The Hilaria sub used to be smaller and more entertaining, before the self righteous frau brigade showed up.

by Anonymousreply 89February 20, 2024 6:29 AM

R88, what the fuck is their damage?

by Anonymousreply 90February 20, 2024 6:30 AM

R90 like those are obviously important issues but I’m sick of reading about that shit every day.

by Anonymousreply 91February 20, 2024 6:31 AM

R91, as far as I'm concerned, anybody who hurls the words 'rapist' and 'pedo' haphazardly the way these chickadees do = a DANGEROUS person. To be shunned and avoided at all costs.

They also cheapen the experience of actual abuse victims.

by Anonymousreply 92February 20, 2024 6:32 AM

If you click on the profiles of Reddit accounts in popular threads, I noticed many of them have posted threads before about being in therapy or being diagnosed with some sort of mental health problem. For as angry and holier than thou they act online, it’s because deep down they’re unhappy with their own lives. I can relate but the difference is I’m not nasty online like they are.

by Anonymousreply 93February 20, 2024 6:35 AM

[quote] They’re obsessed with grooming and pedophilia. I wish I could mute those words forever.

Was every other woman Redditor groomed or what? They seem disturbed.

by Anonymousreply 94February 20, 2024 6:38 AM

I genuinely want to know, R90.

It’s very doth-protesteth-too-much. They’re as hung up on pedophilia as those preachers and right wing politicians are— the ones who decry homosexuality but are later arrested trying to fuck 13 year old boys at Motel 6.

I think they probably fantasize about age play and being molested-- I mean they can't shut up about it!

by Anonymousreply 95February 20, 2024 6:43 AM

What I think is odd on Reddit and other places are people who label themselves as autistic yet they have no actual critics.

by Anonymousreply 96February 20, 2024 6:45 AM

R95, agreed.

And [italic]anybody[/italic] who throws around the accusations of sexual abuse as loosely and commonly as they do = a huge ticking RED FLAG.

by Anonymousreply 97February 20, 2024 6:46 AM

^ Symptoms.

by Anonymousreply 98February 20, 2024 6:47 AM

I'm an adult woman, but I have no agency over my actions!

by Anonymousreply 99February 20, 2024 6:57 AM

I use Reddit only for a few very specific and rather non-controversial topics and it's fine for that, little controversy, no animosity.) I dislike its visual platform/structure. (Data Lounge for all the bickering about Search and WW/FF, an Archive that will never happen, and other functions has, I think, an attractive simple structure that encourages stumbling upon things that become of interest.)

by Anonymousreply 100February 20, 2024 8:24 AM

Reddit: where a 27-year is grooming a 25-year-old!

by Anonymousreply 101February 20, 2024 8:31 AM

4chan is more fun.

by Anonymousreply 102February 20, 2024 8:53 AM

R72 so maybe distinguish ageism: older antagonist, ageism: younger antagonist, racism: Race x antagonist y protagonist

which is exactly what they are fucking trying to communicate. Btw it does exist in the sense that people use it like Kleenex to refer to tissue. It may not be the correct usage of the terms which is why distinguishing what exactly people are trying to say might help.

Hate these fucking semantic dances. Yes, the terms are a catch all but there's room for some nuanced circumstances, since not every scenario is the fucking same.

by Anonymousreply 103February 21, 2024 4:31 PM

I don't like being downvoted so I choose my reddit subs carefully and try to stick with terse, factual responses. I think Reddit can be brutal if you overshare. I'm always amazed at what gets upvoted.

Datalounge has always had its share of sickos but they seem to be increasing as anonymous forums dwindle in number.

by Anonymousreply 104February 22, 2024 2:17 AM

i never went. it's so UGLY

by Anonymousreply 105February 22, 2024 2:39 AM

Reddit moderators are the most micro-managing people on the PLANET.

by Anonymousreply 106February 24, 2024 11:45 PM

I quit Reddit. I prefer peace and shared agreements for their own sakes and can let a person be wrong when it makes no difference but it takes a lot of energy from me. If I’m going to be around people whose egos can lock them into typing words of war over minutia at any time, I’ll do it here where people are also funny and astonishingly warm hearted sometimes.

by Anonymousreply 107February 24, 2024 11:55 PM

New here?

by Anonymousreply 108February 25, 2024 12:02 AM

[quote]Reddit moderators are the most micro-managing people on the PLANET.

It depends on the subreddit. The r/tragedeigh subreddit had a major drama last weekend when a poster posted a pic of a hospital chart showing a patient's unique first name. The mods didn't shut down the thread right away. The OP did delete the pic like 12 hours later, but the thread stayed open for another day.

by Anonymousreply 109February 25, 2024 12:04 AM

At least it’s not the MaGAT infested wasteland that is Xitter.

by Anonymousreply 110February 25, 2024 2:14 AM

I read just a handful of subs, but post rarely. One of my favorite pastimes is looking at pics in /gaybrosgonemild, clicking on their profiles, then calling them out of they are OnlyFans or JustForFans hookers. It's gotten me suspended a few times for posting "disparaging" comments. But the private messages I get in reaction to it are worth the time outs.

by Anonymousreply 111February 25, 2024 2:19 AM

Reddit constantly freezes on me

by Anonymousreply 112February 25, 2024 4:21 PM

[quote] they are interesting and they’re funny in the sense that many of the posters in that sub have no self-awareness, as many of them are parents themselves, yet apparently spend hours a day poring over years-old photos of the Baldwins looking for proof of abuse or neglect. It’s hard not to think of THEIR own kids wondering WTF mom is doing on her phone all day zooming in on photos of kids she doesn’t even know, when her own kids are right there.

This is what I find laughable about those posters. They are very holier than thou.

by Anonymousreply 113February 25, 2024 4:35 PM

Years ago.

by Anonymousreply 114April 10, 2024 6:54 PM

I quit a year ago. I really only went on during the pandemic when people were going nuts on the daily but now it's just depressing how devolved people have become.

by Anonymousreply 115April 10, 2024 7:05 PM

I rarely go on there. I find it quite cliquey and each sub has a stance on most issues. If you fall in line with it you're fine, but if you step out of line, you'll get a couple of downvotes then people will pile in to silence you.

I get karma for posts that had little thought, whereas when I put effort into a post it seems to go largely unignored. I've got 3K karma but I couldn't tell you why.

Also the layout is dated and hard to follow. Classic forums like this where you have topics and people can just quote each other are fine, but all the nesting on Reddit makes it hard to know who's replying to who and then discussions end up being fragmented.

by Anonymousreply 116April 10, 2024 7:12 PM

Ignored, not unignored.

by Anonymousreply 117April 10, 2024 7:13 PM

Reddit seems to be relatively neutral to me, compared to Twitter/X

by Anonymousreply 118April 10, 2024 7:45 PM

A fun sub to visit is Subreddit Drama . They call out on various subs on hypocrisy and other dumb shit.

by Anonymousreply 119April 10, 2024 7:54 PM

Only the log cabin morons and terfs are permanently angry about Reddit.

They hate places where can't Nazi as they wish.

by Anonymousreply 120April 10, 2024 8:05 PM

I like dumb subs like r/trashy, r/IdiotsInCars or r/DeerAreFuckingStupid.

r/lgbt is a fucking embarrassment.

by Anonymousreply 121April 10, 2024 8:40 PM

r120 = Judith Butler

by Anonymousreply 122April 10, 2024 8:41 PM

[quote]You say this as if old people can’t be agist.

At least old people can spell "ageist."

[quote]And the “pedo” obsession, Jesus fucking Christ.

No different from DL's "Tim O'Tay shouldn't be allowed to have sex until he's 30. He looks too young."

by Anonymousreply 123April 10, 2024 10:02 PM

I love how threads like this turn into an odd "Oh, you quit one year ago? Well, I quit even before you! That's how smart I am! Did everyone catch that? I quit even before this was a topic! Please WW me!!"

by Anonymousreply 124April 10, 2024 10:05 PM

Almost never and here is my example why (compared to DL)

On the missing TX college student thread, I'm the one who derailed the thread bitching about the cost of Uber Eats and the insanity of ordering Lunchables from the service (yes really it was me).

DL took my comment and totally ran with it, with some hysterical (and highly sarcastic) comments.

On Reddit, all the comments would be about people who are agoraphobic and/or disabled, and depend on Uber Eats, and also are poor, so all they can afford is insanely overpriced Lunchables (because it is the cheapest, yet still overpriced item).

I'll take DL most days.

by Anonymousreply 125April 10, 2024 10:10 PM

Why would I quit? I love Reddit

by Anonymousreply 126April 10, 2024 10:13 PM

OP, I am active on Reddit - and i don't see the problems you are talking about. It's fine.

by Anonymousreply 127April 10, 2024 10:17 PM

r125 I think that, for whatever reason, Reddit attracts people on the spectrum.

by Anonymousreply 128April 10, 2024 10:18 PM

God Reddit isn’t as bad as this place.

by Anonymousreply 129April 10, 2024 10:31 PM

R128 I think you’re suckin air up your ass

by Anonymousreply 130April 10, 2024 10:33 PM

Exactly, R125, I've had similar experiences there. Those people are all drips.

I don't know that they're all on the spectrum so much as they want to believe they are, they need something to feel special. And you would think it was a giant forum for handicapped people with as many people there say they are disabled or debilitated when someone asks them why or if they do this or that.

When I think of Redditors like that, I think of my neighbor's adult son, (who must be 26 by now)-- he orders UberEats from the gas station on the corner, despite being able-bodied and having a car and a license, and a college education. Of course he waits until the driver leaves to open the door and collect his taquitos and Pepsi because he can't look at nor speak to anyone except his gf, who also lives with him and his mommy and daddy.

He probably refers to them as his "roomates" on Reddit.

by Anonymousreply 131April 10, 2024 10:39 PM

You can't call someone a greasy guido or you're racist against Italians! Shit like that.

by Anonymousreply 132April 11, 2024 12:36 AM

I'm Italian and sometimes greasy. Does that me self-racist? 🤣

by Anonymousreply 133April 11, 2024 12:44 AM

I was called racist in the Denton, Texas subreddit. Someone was talking about panhandlers and described them as "Indian or Middle Eastern" and I told them that they were neither, they were the local gypsies.

I was called "racist af" for merely saying "gypsies."

by Anonymousreply 134April 11, 2024 4:21 AM

Meanwhile all these groups they're knighting for would be racist af against them and don't give a damn about their efforts. Rightly so, as these people are ridiculous.

I bet two different "racists" from different groups would get along better than any ethics lecturer from Reddit ever would.

by Anonymousreply 135April 11, 2024 11:52 AM

I most recently (can't quite remember how long ago) was on it for the subs on various gay-themed seires. Got sick of all of the obsessive fangirls and dropped it.

by Anonymousreply 136April 11, 2024 7:45 PM

Correction: "series"

by Anonymousreply 137April 11, 2024 7:45 PM

R96 There are people all around who are self diagnosing themselves as autistic.

by Anonymousreply 138April 12, 2024 6:18 AM

R134 Romani people also Roma.

by Anonymousreply 139April 12, 2024 6:20 AM

I will occasionally post comments but I never go back and check on them. It makes me irrationally angry when I'm downvoted for pointing out that someone is objectively wrong. The main reason I keep coming back to DL is you can't downvote anyone. You have construct an actual argument. I think most redditors are too stupid and soft to survive on DL.

by Anonymousreply 140April 12, 2024 6:48 AM

Reddit is fine, with about a million subs you should be able to find groups to your liking. I belong to several that have nothing to do with politics and rarely have problems. You learn pretty quick which ones to stay away from

by Anonymousreply 141April 12, 2024 6:49 AM

Yeah the silencing and containment I don't like R140. Repressive.

by Anonymousreply 142April 13, 2024 4:15 AM

What subreddits are you guys replying to?

I don't see comments and gatekeeping THAT bad on Reddit. Get off those subs.

by Anonymousreply 143April 13, 2024 4:51 AM

I like to rile ‘em up in the sanctimonious daily discussion thread that’s part of the Los Angeles sub.

by Anonymousreply 144April 13, 2024 2:40 PM

Reddit isn't bad overall. It's just some of their subreddits are poorly moderated or allow really shitty things to go on that wouldn't fly on other online message boards. Anything subreddits related to occupation fields are always bound to be filled with people encouraging shady, unethical, or unprofessional things. As mentioned above, the nursing and medical field subreddits have had posts or threads encouraging lying or falsifying info on patient charts and records. They have posted screenshots of x-rays, monitors, parts of patient charts, and other things that pretty much border on HIPAA violations,. But they redact PHI and can get away with on those things on sub-threads.

Tales from Call Centers is a sub that I used to read because I had worked in call centers during college and could relate to many of the threads regarding difficult customers. About a year ago, I noticed that there were more people in threads who straight-up admitted that they didn't completely follow policies regarding sensitive info and data while working in the banking, finance, and insurance industries. When other posters would point out the possible legal issues, they would be ignored or downvoted.

by Anonymousreply 145April 13, 2024 4:23 PM

Reddit now feels like a McDonalds Play Land compared to DL. And I was an OG Redditor from it's very inception.

by Anonymousreply 146May 1, 2024 2:26 PM

*its^

by Anonymousreply 147May 1, 2024 2:27 PM

Reddit has groupthink issues and abuse of self-moderation tools, as does DL.

by Anonymousreply 148May 1, 2024 2:45 PM

I haven't had any particular issues but I'm not really into any particular subjects. I'm not interested in fan sites. I visit facepalm to see human stupidity and arrogance at work, sometimes I'll drop in on the DL sub or if I have specific questions about movies, books ot TV I can find the answers there.

by Anonymousreply 149May 1, 2024 2:48 PM

[quote] Tales from Call Centers is a sub that I used to read because I had worked in call centers during college and could relate to many of the threads regarding difficult customers

You worked in a call center and you’re calling other people difficult?

by Anonymousreply 150May 1, 2024 3:18 PM

I have “2 Post Karma” and “86,843 Comment Karma.”

I have no idea what that means

by Anonymousreply 151May 3, 2024 3:55 AM

The suddenly gay subreddit is hilarious.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152May 3, 2024 3:57 AM

I don't think it's that it's too mean. But the pearl clutching and moral hall monitoring is too much.

by Anonymousreply 153May 3, 2024 4:01 AM

Both Reddit and DL are filled with annoying racist white people

by Anonymousreply 154May 3, 2024 6:13 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!