Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

President Biden Looks to End Trump’s Title 42 Deportation Policy

[QUOTE]Officials are preparing plans for increased immigrants at the border. Several Democratic lawmakers have urged Biden not to revoke the policy, warning of a potentially massive influx once Title 42 is fully reversed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107May 1, 2024 4:05 PM

Biden's puppeteers want the country to be less white but the Mexicans flooding in merge with and join the whites anyway.

by Anonymousreply 1March 30, 2022 9:03 PM

Not all of them, R1. Otherwise the white man wouldn’t be up in arms about them coming.

by Anonymousreply 2March 30, 2022 11:03 PM

It’s official: Biden ends Title 42

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3April 3, 2022 1:39 PM

What else can he do before November?

by Anonymousreply 4April 3, 2022 1:55 PM

Hopefully something that doesn’t hurt the Democrats, R4?

by Anonymousreply 5April 3, 2022 2:10 PM

Republican politicians across the country experience spontaneous orgasms at the news.

by Anonymousreply 6April 3, 2022 2:29 PM

Shouldn’t he be *sealing*, not opening the border? At this point, seven months before midterms?

by Anonymousreply 7April 3, 2022 2:33 PM

And don't forget that pandemic!

by Anonymousreply 8April 3, 2022 4:06 PM

The end of America is a given.

by Anonymousreply 9April 3, 2022 4:07 PM

if you have been on datalounge for a while you probably noticed already that any democrat who see this a total mistake is call a republican or a russian troll. until reality hits, remember Hillary and the silent mayority during the elections?

Im a democrat myself, and I have not found, in south florida, any democrat gay or straight, native or legal foreign national like myself, that is happy with what the DHS is doing at the borders. this will only hurt us at the end.

and wait until Fox news gets to air the humongous lines of mostly cuban inmigrants outside the miami children's and family office waiting to apply for government assistance. just yesterday, local new channels in miami, showed that people where sleeping and staying overnight outside of these offices to sell their " spots" to people who dont want to make the huge line.

by Anonymousreply 10April 3, 2022 6:22 PM

Jeeze, we can’t take care of our own folks with housing. Why add more demand for limited housing resources?

See San Francisco Tenderloin-Haight, Los Angeles Skid Row, Venice Beach, Oakland, Sacramento, San Diego. The wrong decision at the wrong time. What the hell is his administration thinking?

by Anonymousreply 11April 3, 2022 6:30 PM

talk to the residents of Inwood in upper Mnahattan about how the influx of Dominicans has changed the neighborhood for worse though not for those into Dominican dick. The neighborhood has the largest number of noise complaints in all five boroughs from fireworks to loud music playing 24/7. Not integration, domination and could care less about the disturbance.

by Anonymousreply 12April 3, 2022 6:52 PM

This is the problem in places where you see a lot of poverty. The people don't believe in other people so they're rich hoard their money and the large majority of the poor go without.

The poor don't know how to effectively organize or make society better so the rich live off in their sectioned areas away from the common man.

It gets worse and worse when you don't have basic infrastructure taking care of the needs of everyone, affordable housing affordable health care etc .

It really doesn't have to be this way but it's low social trust. It's why should I pay to those other people? When this isn't even a question that's asked in countries where people feel more a part of each other.

For God's sakes even Russia has free universal health care and has had it for decades.

by Anonymousreply 13April 3, 2022 6:56 PM

Some advice: " Whispering" Just end Trump, Sir.

by Anonymousreply 14April 3, 2022 7:02 PM

Hello, 2024 President Republican.

by Anonymousreply 15April 3, 2022 7:02 PM

R12, My husband and I moved out of our townhouse, and my good friend left hers, to buy single homes--- both times totally because of new and very loud wall-sharing Hispanic neighbors.

by Anonymousreply 16April 3, 2022 7:05 PM

R16 you mean you guys didn’t like the sound of Reggaeton blasting 24 hours a day?

by Anonymousreply 17April 3, 2022 8:22 PM

Hello Republican House and probably Senate in 2022.

by Anonymousreply 18April 3, 2022 9:40 PM

Make that 2023. 2022 election looks bad for Dems. This doesn’t help.

by Anonymousreply 19April 3, 2022 9:42 PM

[quote } and wait until Fox news gets to air the humongous lines of mostly cuban inmigrants outside the miami children's and family office waiting to apply for government assistance. just yesterday,

While CNN and MSNBC deny anything is happening whatsoever

by Anonymousreply 20April 3, 2022 10:54 PM

[quote]Im a democrat myself, and I have not found, in south florida, any democrat gay or straight, native or legal foreign national like myself, that is happy with what the DHS is doing at the borders.

Not just Florida. Mark Kelly and Krysten Sinema, Arizona’s Democratic Senators, have come out strongly against this move.

by Anonymousreply 21April 3, 2022 11:28 PM

As a Texas Democrat, I can assure you this is fucking stupid as hell. Suicide.

Every Spring there is a big surge at the border. There has been for decades. Migrants cross over to work in agriculture. Till Trump invented the border issue, no problem. People and especially farmers counted on them to cross over.

But announcing in Spring that y'all come over now is insanity: all those Haitians + the usual thousands of Central Americans will create the Culture War of the Republicans' dreams, ensuring the mid-terms are a disaster for us. The Haitians are economic migrants, so are 90% of the Central Americans. But, of course, the Woke will claim if Ukrainians can be refugees so too can Haitians who left Haiti 10 years ago. And we're racists if we let Ukrainian refugees in but not Haitians. Mayorkas is an absolute idiot.

by Anonymousreply 22April 3, 2022 11:42 PM

Why why why? Why do the Democrats want to let in anti-abortion, anti-feminism, gun-crazy, homophobic, superstitious immigrants who will vote Republicans in the end?

Why, why, why? Because the Repugs say no? Can't they see it's a Repug's trap!!!!

by Anonymousreply 23April 3, 2022 11:50 PM

Manchin calls it “frightening.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24April 3, 2022 11:55 PM

I thought Biden was smarter than to announce something like this 7 months before the midterms. This is baffling.

by Anonymousreply 25April 4, 2022 12:01 AM

[quote] I thought Biden was smarter than to announce something like this 7 months before the midterms.

You did? WHY ???

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26April 4, 2022 12:05 AM

R17, OMG, my friend got that in the wee hours! No complaints to the neighbors or the "board" worked. As for me, it was that we could hear every conversation. It was like they were in our bedroom when on their phone.

No, I shouldn't stereotype. Maybe they were sweet people. But we felt it was time to leave.

by Anonymousreply 27April 4, 2022 12:13 AM

Maybe national Democrats need to learn that not everything they want for certain groups is necessarily good for:

1.) The nation as a whole; or

2.) The Democratic Party and its "down tickets."

Because if it ain't good for 2.), it really won't be good for 1.).

by Anonymousreply 28April 4, 2022 12:19 AM

I don't like what the plastic surgeon did to Joe's eyes.

by Anonymousreply 29April 4, 2022 12:21 AM

R2, mot of them end up doing it. That's because after being here for awhile they understand the game.

by Anonymousreply 30April 4, 2022 12:22 AM

*most

by Anonymousreply 31April 4, 2022 12:22 AM

It's interesting because many of these immigrants later end up identifying with the Republicans.

by Anonymousreply 32April 4, 2022 12:23 AM

R28 the problem is Biden, his whole cabinet are from NY/East Coast and California. Only exception is Pete and he is dying to be a Coastal Elite. They're blue state Dems, hysterically trying to appeal to the Squad when the Squad is made up of a few extremists from isolated districts. We're fucked.

The job of Head of Homeland Security was absolutely key. Who does Biden hire? A hack who appears to be the token Latino but who is in fact a rich Cuban Jew who grew up in Beverly Hills.

by Anonymousreply 33April 4, 2022 12:24 AM

I love a lot of what Biden has done and agree with much of what he says he would like to do, but disagree about this decision. Everything about it is a mistake, especially the timing.

by Anonymousreply 34April 4, 2022 12:29 AM

R33, r28 here. I'm in PA, have vacationed right near Joe's Rehoboth Beach house. I know his ilk; they are my ilk.

And yet I cannot fathom him, AOC, "the Squad," or the rest of the assorted Democrats who have so misjudged the country on immigration, Trans-gender "rights," maybe even help to Ukraine (in the sense of need to do more).

It was one thing to have voted overwhelmingly against Trump. The challenge soon will be to get people to vote overwhelmingly FOR Biden.

If there's one true thing about "America," it is the bi-polar nature of the Staue of Liberty as both a "Welcome!" and a "Stop right there, Buddy."

Gotta read the room.

by Anonymousreply 35April 4, 2022 12:45 AM

"Statue."

by Anonymousreply 36April 4, 2022 12:46 AM

R35/R36, there don't seem to be any Democrats who are willing to speak out against these issues. Not one. Manchin doesn't count. It's costing us seats in Congress and the Senate, yet there doesn't seem to be one fucking Democrat who can see it. I think I'm going to end up ignoring politics altogether and living blissfully unaware in my California bubble.

by Anonymousreply 37April 4, 2022 12:53 AM

[quote] Only exception is Pete and he is dying to be a Coastal Elite.

Exactly. He started out so good, I seriously thought he was a different kind of Dem, one with appeal to mid America, with icing on the cake that he also happened to be gay. But he's looking more and more like a typical Coastal Elite now.

by Anonymousreply 38April 4, 2022 1:03 AM

It’s Chasten’s fault, R38. He’s a bad influence on Pete.

by Anonymousreply 39April 4, 2022 1:04 AM

it 's a shame, because Biden has been in my opinion quite good, but im afraid that the inmigration issue is going to fuck him up.

democrats shoud be more intelligent and completely come with taugher anti illigal inmigration laws while creating more oportunities for legal ways to come to the US.

by Anonymousreply 40April 4, 2022 1:07 AM

The immigration laws need to be rewritten. But we also need to halt the migration by intervening directly in the Northern Triangle. A lot of their problems are caused by us: the US' market for drugs create the cartels.

by Anonymousreply 41April 4, 2022 4:58 AM

Open the borders.

by Anonymousreply 42April 4, 2022 2:36 PM

Already, since President Biden dismantled Trump-era border restrictions on his first day in office, the number of illegal migrants who have entered the US is the equivalent of the fifth-largest city in the nation. By the time the midterms roll around, we will have another 5 million.

That’s at least 7 million total, the equivalent of the second-largest city in the country. Almost the size of New York City. It’s like importing the entire population of Libya.

And from next month, that’s the number who will enter every year unless someone wrests control of the border from the cartels.

By the time the next presidential election rolls around, in 2024, the number of Biden illegals will be over 20 million at these rates. That’s a 6% population increase over Biden’s term in illegal migration alone, against a backdrop of rampant inflation.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43April 4, 2022 2:58 PM

R37, I think politicians are not listening to voters due to all the corruption. And it's getting worse.

by Anonymousreply 44April 4, 2022 3:00 PM

R42 = Vicente Fox

by Anonymousreply 45April 4, 2022 4:01 PM

Biden can't wait until the convoy gets rolling and millions are streaming into America

They flew planes full of immigrants all over the country during Covid. CNN & MSNBC did not report on it. They don't report on most things.

The dems are so fucking stupid. They INSIST the voter rights bill have a provision that allows people without Identification to be able to vote. That is the stupidest god damned nonsense. Most states give free I.Ds for voting purposes. Even Georgia.

You can not live without an I.D. You need an I.D to get a job, to access government programs, to go to the bank, to get electric, water & other utilities, to register a vehicle, to go to the doctor/dentist and even to get a library card. The useless dems only worked on that for a week and then gave up, because it was VACATION TIME for them.

It is like THEY WANT TO LOSE the midterms and the next presidential election. They love sitting around and doing nothing. Let's face it, they're experts at that.

The republicans are evil, but the democrats are weak, useless and lazy

by Anonymousreply 46April 4, 2022 8:14 PM

Beto O'Rourke and Greg Abbott are tied in a poll that came out over the weekend. This is going to put Abbott over the top. Biden's an idiot to do this now.

by Anonymousreply 47April 4, 2022 9:28 PM

Abbott was never going to lose that election.

by Anonymousreply 48April 4, 2022 11:25 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49April 6, 2022 5:17 PM

No poll has shown Abbott with more than 40-45% support which is unknown for a Republican incumbent in Texas. Unless Biden totally fucks up the border issue, Abbott's done.

by Anonymousreply 50April 6, 2022 7:28 PM

[quote] Unless Biden totally fucks up the border issue

Have you been living in a cave?

by Anonymousreply 51April 6, 2022 9:09 PM

Claiming asylum is a totally LEGAL way to enter the United States. You may not like that and it may be politically unpopular, but the fact remains. Title 42 skirted that as an emergency provision for COVID.

The fact is, we have the immigration policy we want. Cheap supply of labor that is afraid to raise a stir, lest they are deported. Political points to be gained railing for or against “illegals.” Zero desire to fix the situation.

Trump showed his hand when he refused to hire immigration judges. That means most of the asylum seekers have to wait many months for they’d hearing, during which most are denied asylum.

by Anonymousreply 52April 6, 2022 9:32 PM

R52 problem is 90% of the asylum seekers are just economic migrants. No problem, Texas was built off the labor of these economic migrants and it was never an issue - both Dubya and Rick Perry supported immigration, till a conman from Queens (who also hired illegal immigrant labor) used it to terrify a bunch of peasants in the Midwest.

by Anonymousreply 53April 6, 2022 10:03 PM

[QUOTE] President Biden was livid.

[QUOTE]He had been in office only two months and there was already a crisis at the southwest border. Thousands of migrant children were jammed into unsanitary Border Patrol stations. Republicans were accusing Mr. Biden of flinging open the borders. And his aides were blaming one another.

[QUOTE]Facing his bickering staff in the Oval Office that day in late March 2021, Mr. Biden grew so angry at their attempts to duck responsibility that he erupted.

[QUOTE]Who do I need to fire, he demanded, to fix this?

[QUOTE]Mr. Biden came into office promising to dismantle what he described as the inhumane immigration policies of President Donald J. Trump. But the episode, recounted by several people who attended or were briefed on the meeting, helps explain why that effort remains incomplete: For much of Mr. Biden’s presidency so far, the White House has been divided by furious debates over how — and whether — to proceed in the face of a surge of migrants crossing the southwest border.

[QUOTE]Senior aides have been battling one another over how quickly to roll back the most restrictive policies and what kind of system would best replace them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54April 10, 2022 11:11 AM

There will be no solution at the border till immigration laws are changed. A guest worker solution like Germany used with the Turks would probably be the best. The US desperately needs both the skilled and unskilled labor migrants provide. There was never an issue in Texas about migrants crossing the border till Trump invented it.

Every Spring since time immemorial, migrants cross the Rio Grande to work in Texas. They harvest crops, man shrimp boats, build houses, wash dishes in restaurants, do housekeeping in hotels. Find me a landscaper in Texas who can speak English and I'll give you $1,000. It's always been like that.

Americans don't learn trades. If a construction company needs a plumber, electrician, carpenter, mason, etc., they inevitably use migrant labor because there are no Americans willing to fill these roles.

But the recent surges - whether it's the Caravan that Ted Cruz invented which mysteriously headed for the border just before the Senate election in 2018 and which just as mysteriously disappeared the day after the election or the thousands of Haitians who had resettled in South America who suddenly were compelled to head to a little border town Del Rio, the dirty tricks brigade at the GOP has been working hard. Texas GOP dirty tricksters met with Brazil's fascist President just before the great Haitian exodus from Brazil.

by Anonymousreply 55April 10, 2022 4:14 PM

[quote] There was never an issue in Texas about migrants crossing the border till Trump invented it

You obviously don't live in Texas, R55.

by Anonymousreply 56April 11, 2022 1:19 PM

R56 born and raised in Texas and live here now. My grandparents lived in the Valley. My sister and brother-in-law live in the Valley. Anglos all and all of them knew/know how important migration is for Texas. Dubya and even Rick Perry encouraged migration. Then Trump showed up to dictate to Texas Republicans his anti-migrant bullshit. Abbott who is an imbecile is now blocking cross-border trucks from delivering produce to Texas. The supermarkets will be empty soon and he can't blame it on Biden.

by Anonymousreply 57April 11, 2022 3:36 PM

[quote]and he can't blame it on Biden

Nevertheless, r57...he will...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58April 11, 2022 3:42 PM

Texas newspapers and the local news are starting to openly criticize Abbott's handling of the border: he's wasted billions stationing the National Guard there for a solid year. The Guard have openly complained they 1) aren't getting paid 2) are living in deplorable conditions 3) can't actually do anything: they've described themselves as Mall Cops. Half a dozen Guardsmen have committed suicide. Abbott claims he's going to build more prisons to lock up migrants but he stole the budget for Prisons to partially pay for his border stunt to please Trump. Texans know this is bullshit. Abbott is so fucking stupid he thinks he's going to get the GOP nomination for President in 2024, so he's playing to Iowa with this mise-en-scene. His poll numbers are consistently underwater in Texas.

by Anonymousreply 59April 11, 2022 3:50 PM

Texas National Guard announced today they need another $500 million to continue playing Mall Cop at the border. Where's that money going to come from? The media has definitely got their eye on Abbott's financial fiddles.

by Anonymousreply 60April 11, 2022 4:38 PM

Biden is full steam ahead on ending Title 42, no matter how much Dems complain.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61April 22, 2022 2:44 PM

If the American population won't support us we'll just get ourselves a new population,

by Anonymousreply 62April 22, 2022 3:07 PM

Title 42 will be Biden's new Afghanistan withdrawal. Has he no advisors with any sense?

by Anonymousreply 63April 22, 2022 3:51 PM

R57 So you were happy to treat Mexicans like your ancestors treated their slaves. So Democrats, pissed that Republicans took their slaves away, just shipped in a different (paler) set of slaves to put to work. Cute.

by Anonymousreply 64April 22, 2022 3:59 PM

They know exactly what they are doing. Joe is no more than an expendable tool as long as they can dilute the demographics away from white people who largely vote for republicans.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65April 22, 2022 4:02 PM

The party that insists babies wear masks don't give a fuck about unvaccinated, untested foreigners flooding through the gates. Just goes to show the pandemic is nothing more than politic theatre. They don't actually care about anyone's health. If they did, they wouldn't not only allow unvaccinated, untested people to flood through the gates, they want put them on planes and distribute them all over the country.

by Anonymousreply 66April 22, 2022 4:06 PM

Another boneheaded move.

by Anonymousreply 67April 22, 2022 4:08 PM

What is screwed up is the fact 95% of these immigrants are economic migrants and will never qualify for asylum status. But the asylum process is so fucked up, it takes 3 years for asylum seekers to be processed during which time they are living off the taxpayer's dime. We desperately need immigration reform. Let the economic migrants get guest worker status and earn their keep.

by Anonymousreply 68April 22, 2022 4:10 PM

Mutiny!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69April 22, 2022 8:23 PM

Probably only a couple of those actually disapprove of Biden flooding the border. They just don't want it so near before the election. If you are going to stick it to the voters do so when you have your term of office already safely locked in.

by Anonymousreply 70April 22, 2022 8:30 PM

Biden's gotta have a death wish for Dems to do this before the mid-terms. Crazy. He's done nothing to prepare border communities for a massive influx of migrants. There's no infrastructure set up, they haven't hired more immigration judges. They seem to be relying on Catholic Charities to do everything for free. What the fuck have Mayorkas and alleged Border Czar Kamala done? Jack shit.

The optics alone of hundreds of thousands of migrants rushing the border will ensure the GOP gets both houses and governorships. For fuck's sake, Biden.

by Anonymousreply 71April 22, 2022 8:33 PM

[quote] He's done nothing to prepare border communities for a massive influx of migrants.

Joe has made every city with a jet capable airport a "border community". Middle of the night airlifts of illegal ( nearly all male of military age) immigrants spread across the country

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72April 22, 2022 9:00 PM

Horrible story on the Rio Grande today. A Texas National Guardsmen drowned while trying to save a migrant woman.

by Anonymousreply 73April 22, 2022 9:46 PM

[quote]the Mexicans flooding in merge with and join the whites anyway.

Just like whites did with the Mexicans that were already here before them.

by Anonymousreply 74April 23, 2022 3:03 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75April 26, 2022 11:40 AM

The Biden administration ending deportation is not surprising considering he supports OPEN BORDERS.

by Anonymousreply 76April 26, 2022 12:30 PM

The Supreme Court on Tuesday is set to hear arguments from the Biden administration in their latest bid to end the Trump-era “Remain in Mexico” policy, which forces many asylum seekers to wait south of the US border for their hearings.

The Biden administration is appealing several lower court rulings which have required the 2019 immigration program – formally known as the Migrant Protection Protocols – to remain in place, after President Biden paused it immediately after taking office and the Department of Homeland Security officially ended in June 2021.

Supporters of the policy – namely states Texas and Missouri which have sued to keep it in place – claim it helps reduce migrant flow into the US. Even DHS Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas has said it likely led to fewer illegal border crossings in 2019, however he has noted that the policy has “substantial and unjustifiable human costs.”

------------------------

Border jumpers über alles

by Anonymousreply 77April 26, 2022 1:21 PM

[quote]any democrat who see this a total mistake is call a republican or a russian troll. until reality hits, remember Hillary and the silent mayority during the elections?

This is almost indecipherable. There's no way this "Hillary Hillary Hillary!" gobbledygook got 12 upvotes from 12 separate people who thought the post made a good point.

This place is absolutely nuts these days.

by Anonymousreply 78April 26, 2022 1:25 PM

I thought Biden was taking the pandemic seriously. So why is he doing everything possible to have more and more unidentified unvaccinated people flood across the border into the country?

by Anonymousreply 79April 26, 2022 1:29 PM

Because the post DID make a good point, R78. Maybe you should look in the mirror if you want to see "nuts". Maybe you are the troll.

by Anonymousreply 80April 26, 2022 1:42 PM

Judge’s ruling keeps Title 42 in place.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81May 20, 2022 9:31 PM

I'm OK with this. We don't want 200,000 migrants crossing the border BEFORE the mid-terms.

by Anonymousreply 82May 21, 2022 1:24 AM

R82, you seem exquisitely ignorant. Title 42 doesn’t stop anyone from crossing the border, it allows for expedited removal of those who have.

In fact, it may increase crossings because Title 42 deportations are public health measures. Title 8 crossings are logged, and a second offense is more serious. Title 42 actually encourages repeat attempts.

by Anonymousreply 83May 21, 2022 11:06 AM

The mummy in the White House wants OPEN BORDERS

by Anonymousreply 84May 21, 2022 11:11 AM

I knew the left didn't genuinely think COVID was that big of a deal when they thought nothing of and did nothing about sealing the border while millions of unidentified unvaccinated foreigners marched into the country.

by Anonymousreply 85May 21, 2022 11:48 AM

Dat’s da suck job!

by Anonymousreply 86May 21, 2022 12:04 PM

I think borders are reasonable.

by Anonymousreply 87May 21, 2022 12:30 PM

Great, r87, because our borders are controlled. It’s the asylum policies (that are 100% legal) and people overstaying their visas that drive this “crisis,” which could be solved if politicians would do the work.

They won’t, because Americans are ignorant. They imagine the issue is people sneaking across the border and then disappearing. Which is not what is happening.

But the border crisis is too valuable politically to solve. It convinces dimwitted Americans to vote for Republicans, who suggest that immigrants are taking away from the average American.

by Anonymousreply 88May 21, 2022 1:15 PM

Whence your expertise, R88? Sincere question. Is this what we are being told by the government? The media? How can we possibly get an accurate sense of what’s really going on? I mean Christ, they just discovered another one of those underground tunnels.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89May 21, 2022 1:19 PM

I work in homeland security, across many agencies. If you talk to people who work in the field, regardless of their personal politics, they blame the politicians for refusing to take action and politicizing it.

Our policies now encourage desperate people to act in desperation on the small chance that it will work out. It costs a lot of money, but also creates a lot of misery.

If you want to educate yourself, it’s best to read full-length coverage by reputable sources. Not 3 minute stories, not tweets, not quotes.

It’s a complex issue, and people prefer to project their own personal emotions - either by blaming immigrants for everything or by buying into a savior complex.

The tunnel you reference is fir the drug trade, not really for people.

by Anonymousreply 90May 21, 2022 1:34 PM

R90 Oh, drugs only. Oh. Right. Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 91May 21, 2022 1:37 PM

PS, I work for border enforcement, across many agencies.

Not really, but easy enough to say so.

by Anonymousreply 92May 21, 2022 1:40 PM

I'm a Texan, grew up in the Valley as all Texans called the Rio Grande Valley. Since the dawn of time, migrants have crossed the border to do the shitty jobs Americans won't do for crap money which they faithfully send back to their families in Mexico. They follow the harvests. In the winter, they go home to Mexico and return in the Spring. This not only didn't bother anybody in Texas, it was even actively encouraged by Republican Governors like Dubya and Perry.

Trump invented the border crisis to scare white people in the Midwest who never knew the produce they were eating was harvested by people from migrants from Mexico. It was never a problem till he came along. Because he made such a deal of it, people who normally would only cross the border sporadically to make a buck, started coming en masse for fear the border would be closed down.

The mass migration of Haitians who arrived at Del Rio a few months ago was an obvious plot by the GOP. The only reason the "liberal" media hasn't investigated it is for fear they'll be accused of being racists.

The Haitians who arrived at Del Rio (a small town where there has never been a port of entry) weren't fleeing any recent events in Haiti, they'd left Haiti 10 years before, lured to Brazil to do manual labor in preparation for the Olympics and World Cup. Brazil's economy is severely depressed now and they elected a rightwing asshole President. About two months before the Haitians arrived at the border, some Texas Republicans had meetings with Bolsanaro. Why the hell would he meet with some Republican shit-stirrers from Texas? The whole thing had to be engineered by Texas Republicans to shore up their support. Texans are used to Mexicans arriving at the border - but black people?? Yikes! It was a stage-managed event and the liberal media refused to investigate who was behind it.

by Anonymousreply 93May 21, 2022 5:04 PM

[quote]They follow the harvests. In the winter, they go home to Mexico and return in the Spring. This not only didn't bother anybody in Texas, it was even actively encouraged by Republican Governors like Dubya and Perry.

These are legal immigrants who come here on special guest worker visas.

by Anonymousreply 94May 21, 2022 5:12 PM

R94 no they aren't. We need to have a guest worker status visa but Congress has done nothing about our outdated immigration laws for decades.

by Anonymousreply 95May 21, 2022 5:21 PM

[quote]no they aren't. We need to have a guest worker status visa but Congress has done nothing about our outdated immigration laws for decades.

We already have a program and have for a very long time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96May 21, 2022 5:31 PM

check out the costs per worker for an H2-A visa. It's prohibitive.

by Anonymousreply 97May 22, 2022 12:46 AM

I’m not reading through all of the articles posted here to see if it’s been covered but a reading of the thread shows a severe lack of understanding of the real-world implications behind ending Title 42.

Under the rules of Title 42, a law around 100 years old, migrants turned away at the borders are just simply sent back without charge. Title 42 was written when the migrants being targeted because of suspected disease were on ships and thus put back on ships returning to Europe without charges.

Currently, per the statue, migrants at the Mexican border are also not charged, just dropped back off on the other side of the border.

The problem with this is that under normal US law, illegal migrants caught at the border are charged in US courts with a crime before being repatriated. This means they cannot attempt reentry within five or ten years, I forget which. If caught doing so again in that probationary period they can be imprisoned. Under Title 42, because migrants aren’t charged for trying to enter, they can immediately try to illegally recross and since they haven’t been charged with the crime of illegal crossing they are just dropped back across the border, to try again, and again, and again.

The dropping of Title 42 gives some teeth to enforcement by ICE with the potential of spending a few years in an American jail if caught reattempting and stops the constant revolving door of mostly young, single male crossers which have typified those caught and dumped back in Mexico over the past year or so.

by Anonymousreply 98May 22, 2022 2:23 AM

R98 Border Patrol is reporting the same migrants try to cross over every day so the numbers aren't quite as large as claimed. They're repeat crossings.

by Anonymousreply 99May 22, 2022 2:32 AM

Exactly R99, because they aren’t being charged for illegal crossing because of the rules of Title 42 they are free to try again and again without repercussions.

by Anonymousreply 100May 22, 2022 2:39 AM

When migrants are let in and allowed to present a case for asylum (which 90% of them can't defend), it takes 3 years to get to court. What are they doing during those 3 years? Are they allowed to work, do they live off family members who are already here and no doubt can't afford to pay for them?

by Anonymousreply 101May 22, 2022 2:47 AM

They mostly provide day labor. After 150 days, they can get a work permit (365 days under Trump). But the backlog is huge, just as the court backlog is huge.

by Anonymousreply 102May 22, 2022 10:24 AM

Blocked by the Supreme Court

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103December 27, 2022 9:33 PM

Biden sending 1,500 troops to the border as Title 42 ends

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104May 2, 2023 4:01 PM

Border town first responders are devastated and overwhelmed a year after Title 42 ended.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105February 27, 2024 9:41 PM

Centrist Dems call on Biden to reinstate Title 42

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106May 1, 2024 3:53 PM

This, not Gaza, may tip the election away from Biden.

by Anonymousreply 107May 1, 2024 4:05 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!