Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Milei announces Argentina's first budget surplus in 16 years

Buenos Aires (AFP) โ€“ Argentina's spending-slashing new President Javier Milei has hailed his country's first quarterly budget surplus since 2008 as an "historic achievement."

In the first quarter of 2024, the South American country recorded a budget surplus of about 275 billion pesos (some $309 million at the official rate), he told national TV late Monday.

This amounted to a surplus of 0.2 percent of GDP.

"This is the first quarter with a financial surplus since 2008," said Milei, referring to his left-wing rival Cristina Kirchner's first year in the presidency.

Milei, who took office in December, boasted of "a feat of historic significance on a global scale."

"If the state does not spend more than it collects and does not issue (money), there is no inflation. This is not magic," the self-described "anarcho-capitalist" said.

Milei won elections last November vowing to reduce the deficit to zero -- a target even more ambitious than required by the International Monetary Fund, with whom Argentina has a $44 billion loan.

To that end, he has instituted an austerity programme that has seen the government slash subsidies for transport fuel and energy even as annual inflation stands at 290 percent year-on-year, poverty levels have reached 60 percent and wage-earners have lost a fifth of their purchasing power.

Thousands of public servants have lost their jobs.

"Don't expect a way out through public spending," Milei warned on Monday.

University students, backed by unions and opposition parties, have called a march for Tuesday to protest financing cuts to higher public education, research and science under the new president.

Universities have declared a budgetary emergency after the government approved a 2024 budget the same as the one for 2023, despite inflation approaching 300 percent and a near 500-percent increase in energy costs that higher learning institutions say has brought them to their knees.

"At the rate at which they are funding us, we can only function between two and three more months," University of Buenos Aires (UBA) rector Ricardo Gelpi said.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7May 20, 2024 1:32 PM

[quote] "If the state does not spend more than it collects and does not issue (money), there is no inflation. This is not magic,"

๐‘ฉ๐’๐’‚๐’”๐’‘๐’‰๐’†๐’Ž๐’š!

by Anonymousreply 1May 20, 2024 8:23 AM

Oh please fuck off, r1. Milei is on the way to completely destroying Argentina with his harebrained strategy, which is very much like Liz Trussโ€™s disastrous economic theories on steroids.

by Anonymousreply 2May 20, 2024 8:31 AM

Year on year inflation of 290% and poverty levels at 60%!

Fuck.

by Anonymousreply 3May 20, 2024 9:57 AM

Do Argentinians like die-hard MAGAts truly believe his BS?

by Anonymousreply 4May 20, 2024 10:12 AM

I, too, would like to know the answer to that question, r4.

by Anonymousreply 5May 20, 2024 11:25 AM

This is just accounting noise after he sacked a vast number of government workers and deregulated the markets. You'd get the same wonky stats in the US if Trump fired most of the federal workforce as well.

[quote]Although praised by the International Monetary Fund and cheered by market watchers, Mileiโ€™s cost-cutting and deregulation campaign has, at least in the short term, squeezed families whose money has plummeted in value while the cost of nearly everything has skyrocketed. Annual inflation, the statistics agency reported Tuesday, climbed slightly to 289.4%.

We'll see if this is sustainable, but something tells me it won't be. Ordinary Argentinians will get A LOT poorer in the process, that much is certain by now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6May 20, 2024 1:24 PM

What's new Buenos Aires?

I'm new, I wanna say I'm just a little stuck up you

You'll be on me too

I get out here, Buenos Aires

Stand back, you oughta know whatcha gonna get in Milei

Just a little touch of poverty

by Anonymousreply 7May 20, 2024 1:32 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!