Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Long Island

I'm curious about Long Island. I know it is a bedroom community of Manhattan. I understand from some people who have lived there that it is kind of/ sort of segmented by town. For instance Jewish people may live in one town, but richer Jewish people live in another town. Italians live in one area and black people in another.

That sounds weird to me. Anyone grow up there? I'm assuming that its an area like any other area, with a mix of all types of people.

What can you share?

by Anonymousreply 18009/15/2013

Have you ever driven a Chevy Nova, OP?

by Anonymousreply 112/30/2010

Im sorry OP, but with all due respect, I have problems of my own.

by Anonymousreply 312/30/2010

Grew up dead center of the Island and had a completely mixed middle class neighborhood. All colors, religions and nationalities.

by Anonymousreply 412/30/2010

In the Summer, if you live near the water, especially half way out or more, it's really great. Moved here from the city, in my forties.

by Anonymousreply 512/30/2010

I didn't have my "little problem" until I moved to Long Island.

by Anonymousreply 612/30/2010

Does it smell like hot garbage in the summer like Manhattan?

by Anonymousreply 712/30/2010

No, R7, worse. See the post above yours.

by Anonymousreply 812/30/2010

It's like any other place in the country the rich live here, the poor live there, the blacks live there and the white trash live other there.

by Anonymousreply 912/30/2010

It's NJ with slightly less aluminum siding.

by Anonymousreply 1012/30/2010

[quote] Grew up dead center of the Island and had a completely mixed middle class neighborhood. All colors, religions and nationalities.%0D %0D Where did you grow up? I'm grew up in Massapequa and I don't think that town had a single non-white person. (At least back in the 80's and 90's)

by Anonymousreply 1112/30/2010

R10 and slightly better hair and a slightly better accent.

by Anonymousreply 1212/30/2010

People in Lawn Guyland have slightly better accents?

by Anonymousreply 1312/30/2010

r11, tell me more about Massapequa. I have a friend I went to law school with that was from Massapequa. She doesn't talk much about it because her childhood was painful, but from what I gathered, it's an upper-middle class town. She's been a California-transplant for more than a decade now and doesn't have that New York accent. However, when she's drunk, the NY accent is very prominent. The first time I heard it, I thought she was playing around. Nope. She was just drunk. Anyways, that accent doesn't not sound very upper-class to me.

by Anonymousreply 1412/30/2010

I wouldn't say Massapequa is very upper class, but its definitely comfortable. Very pretty, tree lined streets. Just a nice place to grow up.%0D %0D As far as the accent, some people from Long Island do have money but the accent still sucks.

by Anonymousreply 1512/30/2010

Amityville is a ghostown.

by Anonymousreply 1612/30/2010

Never been.

by Anonymousreply 1712/30/2010

[quote]Where did you grow up? I'm grew up in Massapequa and I don't think that town had a single non-white person. (At least back in the 80's and 90's)

North Amityville is right next door. They have non-whites there.

by Anonymousreply 1812/30/2010

[quote]I'm grew up in Massapequa

Oh my!

by Anonymousreply 1912/30/2010

I grew up in Massapequa as well and actually that part of Massapequa I grew up in was once Amityville when we first moved there. Nice place to grow up in the 70's now it is just a dump.

by Anonymousreply 2012/30/2010

Massapequans: The Baldwins, Jerry Seinfeld, Steve Guttenberg, Helen Slater, Marvin Hamlisch Brian Kilmeade, Stuttering John Melendez, Brian Setzer, Jessica Hahn, Joey Buttafuoco & Christine Jorgensen.

by Anonymousreply 2112/30/2010

I Lived in Hicksville. It was fine but has gotten to expensive and crowded....

by Anonymousreply 2312/30/2010

Mel might have a house there but his children go to public school in Malibu.

They were also said to be bullies and terrors in Malibu r22, this all came out a while ago, reporters found all this out and we talked about it here at DL.

by Anonymousreply 2412/30/2010

What the fuck is a "bedroom community"?%0D %0D And Long Island has nothing to do with Manhattan. Nassau and Suffolk Counties are their own entities.

by Anonymousreply 2512/30/2010

Amityville is a horror!

by Anonymousreply 2712/30/2010

What about Great Neck?

by Anonymousreply 2812/30/2010

How is Long Island trashy when the Hamptons are on Long Island?%0D %0D Brooklyn and Queens are technically part of Long Island, too.

by Anonymousreply 3012/30/2010

"A couple of the younger ones go to Portledge. Believe me. A friend is a teacher there."

Actually I just 2nd guessed myself and called my friend. She said that this was a few years ago that two of them were there. So I was wrong in saying they attend the Portledge school now.

by Anonymousreply 3112/30/2010

Long Island got the trashy moniker after the scandals with Jessica Hahn who brought down PTL and Joey Buttafuoco and Amy Fisher.

by Anonymousreply 3212/30/2010

It's the Arizona of the Northeast.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 3312/30/2010

Yes, R32 - those scandals didn't help the image. But I equate it with Florida - some expensive parts, some middle class, but an overall feeling of trashiness permeates.

The accent makes your ears bleed and the people can be some of the biggest loud-mouthed, crass assholes you'll ever want to meet.

by Anonymousreply 3412/30/2010

The Hamptons ARE TRASHY, dull bug infested wetlands that should never have been built upon, and by the worst people in the country no less, the Wall Street shits. Even in the worst of Gatsby days, the North Shore had some class, all the way out to Setauket.%0D %0D %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 3512/30/2010

[quote]The accent makes your ears bleed and the people can be some of the biggest loud-mouthed, crass assholes you'll ever want to meet.

Never been to Joisey have ya?

by Anonymousreply 3612/31/2010

North Shore classy South Shore trashy

by Anonymousreply 3712/31/2010

What's syosset like? Is it a wealthy, pretty area?

by Anonymousreply 3812/31/2010

Their iced tea is good, but that's about it.

by Anonymousreply 3912/31/2010

Laurelton is a must see, fucking gorgeous homes, nice antique shops, upscale, yet still afordable.

by Anonymousreply 4012/31/2010

Laurelton is like the Hamtons, only more gay friendly.

by Anonymousreply 4112/31/2010

They used to call Massapequa "Matzoh Pizza" because it was primarily Jewish and Italian. The list of celebs who come from there confirms that.

by Anonymousreply 4212/31/2010

[quote]What's syosset like? Is it a wealthy, pretty area?

Pretty bland neighborhood, no different than any town USA. In the middle of the Island right off The Long Island Expressway, which comedian Alan King, another Long Islander called the world's longest parking lot.

by Anonymousreply 4312/31/2010

Where did Ross and Monica Geller grow up?

by Anonymousreply 4412/31/2010

I don't think they ever mentioned what town they were from. The Romanos were Lynbrook, The Seavers in "Growing Pains" were Massapequa.

by Anonymousreply 4512/31/2010

The Seevers were in Huntington!

by Anonymousreply 4612/31/2010

What is Centerport like?

by Anonymousreply 4712/31/2010

Long Island is the length of Connecticut. It is a BIG place, not just a few towns. Most of Nassau and western Suffolk counties do have large commuter populations, but many businesses are Long Island based. Eastern Suffolk county is not within commuting distance unless you commute by helicopter.%0D %0D IMHO, Long Island get its distinctive culture because unless you take the ferry to Connecticut, you must drive through the City (or at least Queens and the Bronx) to get off of Long Island. It is a little claustrophobic. Going anywhere takes forever.%0D %0D I live in Long Beach which is part bedroom community, part surfer dude hang-out and part city in its own right; with a high population density and lots of apartment buildings. Joan Jett lives here and Billy Crystal is from here. I met an old yenta at Starbucks who claims to have baysat the Weinsteins. It is very South Shore, which I suppose makes it trashy, but I am sure our taxes are higher than most Americans'. And the Italian restaurants and pizza are very good. %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 4812/31/2010

"That sounds weird to me."

It certainly shouldn't if you are American and have ever been to any large city.

by Anonymousreply 4912/31/2010

R48 nailed it.

by Anonymousreply 5112/31/2010

How could r25 have never heard the term "bedroom community"?

by Anonymousreply 5212/31/2010

Partners parents are from the Five Towns which is a very Jewish area in southwest Nassau County, though they're not Jewish themselves. When I first started going with him there in the mid-2000s I was struck by how materialistic Long Islanders seem, but that seems to have been tempered by the economic crisis. Great food from the small local bakeries, restaurants, etc.

by Anonymousreply 5312/31/2010

[quote]The Seevers were in Huntington!

That's what I thought, Wiki has it wrong.

by Anonymousreply 5412/31/2010

OK, native Massapequan here as well.

I left the Island over twenty years ago and whenever I go back, I can't believe how tacky the whole area feels.

Take either major road running east/west and it's nothing but strip malls and housing. On either side of the roads it's all housing. There's very little open space.

I know the region was a hotbed of development after WWII (my folks moved to town in 1954) and planning was different, but the region is stuffed with housing.

The accent is awful to hear and try as I might, it comes roaring out of my mouth after a few drinks.

Massapequa was very Jewish and Italian, but there were plenty of Irish and other nationalities.

When I graduated HS in 1980 there was one black family in town and no hispanics. Much different nowadays.

by Anonymousreply 5512/31/2010

[quote]The accent is awful to hear and try as I might, it comes roaring out of my mouth after a few drinks.

This is the part I don't understand. Do you consciously force yourself to speak "normal?" Why does it come out when you're drunk? My friend is the same way but I've never had the guts to tell this corporate attorney that her hideous Massapequa accent comes out when she's had too many to drink.

by Anonymousreply 5612/31/2010

Anyone else attending the world surfing Championships?

by Anonymousreply 5709/04/2011

[quote] Anyways, that accent doesn't not sound very upper-class to me

Oh dear.

Anyone who says "anyways" has no right to look down on the accent of others.

by Anonymousreply 5809/04/2011

they really really really do have that tangy NY accent. a friend who grew up there just admitted to me recently that she grew up not knowing that Chancre Sore wasn't spelled "Kanka soah", as that was how everyone pronounced it.

by Anonymousreply 5909/04/2011

North Shore Going East from the City

Great Neck - Was Uppity Jews, doctors and lawyers, now "Persian" Jews. Even richer in Kings Point.

Manhasset - Was WASPs, now WASPs and Asians.

Roslyn - Jewish American Princes and Princesses.

Port Washington - nice mix of Jews/Italians/WASPs

Sands Point - Rich Jews / Rich Italians.

Glen Cove - more italians, lower rent.

Centre Island - Billy Joel & Charles Wang and their richer neighbors.

The Brookvilles/Lattingtown/Muttontown/LLoyd Neck/ Mill Neck/Lloyd Harbor - RICH RICH RICH

Oyster Bay - Mix of Middle Class white people and RICH white people

East Norwich - Bert Bacharach

Huntington - Middle of the road white people

Huntington Station - El Salvador

Northport -- Middle class white people

Port Jefferson - Too far from the city to matter.

North Fork - Farms and Winery Country. White People.

by Anonymousreply 6009/04/2011

[quote]Long Island get its distinctive culture because unless you take the ferry to Connecticut, you must drive through the City%0D %0D How long does the ferry ride take?%0D %0D A few years back, I spent a wonderful summer at Montauk, L.I.

by Anonymousreply 6109/04/2011

I grew up in Locust Valley. I went to Portledge and then Friends Academy. I do not speak with "Locust Valley lockjaw."

by Anonymousreply 6209/04/2011

Please don't insult NJ by comparing it to Long Island. Long Island is home of some of the most backwards people I know. They are cheap, backstabbing, disloyal and obnoxious and think their shit doesn't stink. Guess what, it does! And they LOVE polyester and big hair..

by Anonymousreply 6309/04/2011

What about Quogue, where Anderson Cooper has a house?

by Anonymousreply 6409/04/2011

Middle Island:

New Hyde Park ---> Mineola - Italians, middle class. Great mom and pop pizza and italian restaurants abound.

Hempstead, Roosevelt, Uniondale -- The hood. Lock the doors.

Garden City - Upper Middle Class WASPs, italian, Irish. Lacrosse and Country Clubs where there isn't a black or Jew in sight. Kids go to Chamanade.

Roosevelt Field Mawl.

Westbury - Black, poor

Old Westbury - White, rich

Bethpage - Black Course (US Open Golf)

East Meadow, Hicksville, Levittown - Middle Class (LI's Fly over area) tract housing.

Farmingdale - Boonies

Melville - Corporation Central.

Dix Hills - snobby upper middle class jews

Wyandanch - Black Trash

Deer Park - White Trash

Points East to Riverhead, nothing useful

Riverhead - the point where the north and south forks meet.

Manorville - the place you exit the LIE to get to the Hamptons, but no one really lives there, right?

by Anonymousreply 6509/04/2011

Lynbrook was the terminus to the early LIRR from Brooklyn. The Village Fathers just inverted the syllables.

by Anonymousreply 6609/04/2011

Seriously segregated down to the nationality. But they pat themselves on the back and say "We're not racist like they are in the south." Sure. Let a black family move in.

by Anonymousreply 6709/04/2011

I have the best of Long Island

by Anonymousreply 6809/05/2011

Long Island is one of the most hideous places on the planet.... everyone who lives there "pretends" to know the city, but in reality, they know how to get to Penn Station.

I take the 1 train every day.... all is fine until we get to the Penn Station stop.... then the loudest, trashiest, most obnoxious ASSHOLES crowd the train.

ICK! ICK! ICK!

by Anonymousreply 6909/05/2011

I grew up in Suffolk County, middle class. All white. Long Island was a lovely place to grow up. We had a nice home, on a nice piece of property, there was lots of wooded lots around for us to go be adventurous in. We climbed trees, built tree houses, and forts. People minded their business, yet looked out for each other. When we went outside to play, our parents didn't worry. It was safe. We would have sleep overs, lunch over friends houses on their deck or screened in porch. Our moms made us a real lunch, along with fruit from a local farm. Breakfast eggs were also from local farms. I cannot imagine a childhood any place else. The neighborhood I grew up in is still nice. The wooded lots are all gone though. Houses have been built any place they could squeeze one in. Still mostly white. I now live in the city. I miss the days from my childhood. Seems they were so much easier. People were real, and honest. Life was simple. I go back to visit my parents often. I would not change my childhood for anything.

by Anonymousreply 7009/05/2011

Reviews of the Green Acres Mall in Valley Stream.%0D %0D In the '50s and '60s it used to be lovely though it eventually killed off all the Mom-and-Pop stores in Valley Stream. %0D %0D It's a Super-trashy mall now.

by Anonymousreply 7209/05/2011

The area at Green Acres Mall in Valley Stream was even more attractive in the 30s and 40s when it was farmland.

by Anonymousreply 7309/05/2011

R44 Ross and Monica grew up in Massapequa.

by Anonymousreply 7409/05/2011

RE: R48 - Long Island is the length of Conn., RI and then some. It is also something of a reverse Oreo, where the closer to the shores that you get, the richer and whiter things are

by Anonymousreply 7509/05/2011

Snapple & Entenmann's originated on Long Island

by Anonymousreply 7609/05/2011

Long Island is a scab on the vagina of New York State!

by Anonymousreply 7709/05/2011

What about Greenport?

by Anonymousreply 7809/05/2011

Grew up on Long Island, near the Hicksville/Jericho/Westbury area. Everyone complained about how entitled the teens and their mothers acted, which I always brushed off as, well, most people in high school are assholes. I've since changed my tune. I now live near Boston and whenever I visit LI, I am surprised by how spoiled some people are. The girls only look you up and down once, decide you aren't worth talking to, and then will walk right into you, expecting you to part for them. The moms are always on their cell phones while trying to park, slowing everyone down.

Granted, there are jerks in Boston too, but there's definitely a difference.

by Anonymousreply 7909/05/2011

[quote] Eastern Suffolk county is not within commuting distance unless you commute by helicopter.

Bullshit.

My brother lives in Manorville and it's about 20 minutes to the Ronkonkoma station of the LIRR. About an hour to Penn Station. I've done it almost every time I visit him.

A LOT of my brother's friends commute into the city every day. I don't hear them bitching about the commute.

by Anonymousreply 8009/05/2011

[quote] I have the best of Long Island%0D %0D [quote] by: Setauket and Stony Brook, weighing in %0D %0D %0D Not really. You have the highest taxes. And Walmart.

by Anonymousreply 8109/05/2011

Manorville is Central Suffolk. My uncle lives in Medford. That is also Central Suffolk and also 20 minutes from Ronkokoma. It's a miserable commute, but do-able. Eastern Suffolk is past the pine barrens.

by Anonymousreply 8209/05/2011

Was at a dinner reception for work on the south shore (don't remember the town). It was at one of these places with multiple reception rooms and was supposedly highly sought after to host your wedding reception. Our work dinner thing was fairly low key but we learned from some people working their that the main room had a elevator platform on it's stage. Apparently the common thing is for the bride and groom to be presented as a couple being lifted on stage via this platform while smoke and lasers go off behind them.

You can't make this shit up.

by Anonymousreply 8309/05/2011

[quote]My brother lives in Manorville and it's about 20 minutes to the Ronkonkoma station of the LIRR. About an hour to Penn Station. I've done it almost every time I visit him.%0D %0D An hour and 20 minutes for a daily commute is fucking bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 8409/05/2011

It's an hour and 20 minutes if they work IN Penn Station. If they work in midtown or downtown, add another 20-30 minutes and they're close to a 2-hour commute.

by Anonymousreply 8509/05/2011

The late, great Candy Darling grew up in Massapequa.

by Anonymousreply 8609/05/2011

My sister lives in Manorville. Her kids call it "Manure-ville." Taxes are outrageously high -- yet there are no streetlights, no sidewalks and when her sons went to school, they didn't even have their own jr high and high school. %0D %0D I met some black cops who moved there. They worked in Brooklyn and lived in maintenance-free townhouses, jumped into their cars in the morning, got on the LIE (5 minutes from their homes) and drove on the expressway at hair-raising speeds (they're cops, remember) at 5 am and got to work in an hour. When they got home, they jumped into the community pool and felt like they were in heaven. The schools were fine for their kids and they loved it.%0D %0D I guess it depends on your perspective. The black cops said they felt like they'd made it -- "got out of the concrete jungle of the hood with bad schools and no room to stretch."

by Anonymousreply 8709/05/2011

[quote] Apparently the common thing is for the bride and groom to be presented as a couple being lifted on stage via this platform while smoke and lasers go off behind them. %0D %0D Better than shooting off machine guns in celebration.

by Anonymousreply 8809/05/2011

What part of LI do the Lohans hail from?

by Anonymousreply 8909/05/2011

[quote] Huntington - Middle of the road white people

I grew up in Huntington, and although I'd never live there as an adult, I'm not sure this description is fair.

Huntington has a very beautiful village, full of all sorts of artsy institutions; Book Revue, the largest independent book store on Long Island that is constantly bringing in a diverse crowd of authors to do book signings; the Cinema Arts Centre, which shows rare independent films and up until recently the IMAC which had all sorts of performances. They also host the Long Island pride parade.

It's a very diverse area although relatively segregated. In high school I had friends who's parents lived in mansions in Huntington Bay and friends who were first generation immigrants who lived in old dilapidated houses in Huntington Station.

by Anonymousreply 9009/05/2011

The Lohans are from Merrick. Nouveaux Riche South Shore town of no real interest or significance. Bill O'Reilly is from there as well.

by Anonymousreply 9109/05/2011

[quote]Brooklyn and Queens are technically part of Long Island, too.

True, but isn't the term "Long Island" used mostly in reference to the part of the island that doesn't include the boroughs of NYC?

by Anonymousreply 9209/05/2011

What about the south shore? Should I buy in Baldwin, Rockville Centre or the 5 Towns?

by Anonymousreply 9409/20/2011

Syosset = Jewville

by Anonymousreply 9509/20/2011

My aunt and uncle used to live in South Hempstead. What part of Long island is that?

by Anonymousreply 9609/20/2011

[R96] BlackVille

by Anonymousreply 9709/20/2011

Howard Stern and Eddie Murphy are from Hempstead.

by Anonymousreply 9809/20/2011

Some of you guys made some HUGE mistakes.

Westbury is not poor area. Neighboring New Cassel is a poor area but not Westbury. However Westbury does have a problem with illegal immigrants towards the center of the village; but it's not nearly as bad as New Cassel.

And the black people in Westbury are mostly upper middle class. The black people there live in a very nice section of town, you can even look it up.

AND South Hempstead and West Hempstead are middle class white areas. Hempstead is a poor black area.

by Anonymousreply 9909/01/2013

What's Lindenhurst like? The guy I've just started dating is from there, but I have never been there. Is it nice?

by Anonymousreply 10009/01/2013

[quote]Long Island is the length of Connecticut. It is a BIG place, not just a few towns.

The whole circumference is some of the most gorgeous places on earth. The sleepy communities on the water. Watch "Royal Pains" on USA. They don't shoot just in the Hamptons but up and down the North shore. That giant castle, Oheka used to be a private home but is not a hotel and is in Huntington in the middle of the island.

It's long hence the name LONG Island but it not wide. Take the Meadowbrook Parkway, the Wantagh Parkway, Seaford Oyster Bay Expressway or the Sagtikos Parkway (everything has Native American names) and you can cut across South shore to North Shore in fifteen minutes.

And the commute is nothing. You sit on a train, you read the paper, play with your iPad, even sleep all the way. It's not sitting in bumper to bumper traffic in LA.

by Anonymousreply 10109/01/2013

Lindenhurst is your typical (mostly) blue-collar middle class south shore long island town. There's a lot of italian-americans there. Lindy is a lot like West Babylon and Deer Park if your familiar with any of those places.

It's an okay town by LI standards, nothing spectacular.

by Anonymousreply 10209/01/2013

What's Oceanside like? My boss lives there.

by Anonymousreply 10309/02/2013

What is Commack like? I had a crush on two guys in college who were from there.

by Anonymousreply 10409/02/2013

Most of the towns inside, meaning not the coasts are everyplace USA. Strip malls, car dealerships, no different than most places. here are images of the coasts.

by Anonymousreply 10509/02/2013

Commack is a pretty big area. It's a very white town in Suffolk with a sizable amount of east asians. Most residents range from middle class to upper middle class but they think they're rich like their neighbor Dix Hills, lol. They have a very good public school system.

As for Oceanside, its a cute town but since it's so far away from the parkways/expressway the commute to NYC or melville is very long; as a result, it suffers from lack of desirability and home values aren't as high as they normally would be. It was hit hard by Hurricane Sandy too. I would say its your typical south shore nassau community

by Anonymousreply 10609/02/2013

r62 did your grandmother die last month?

by Anonymousreply 10709/02/2013

Does your boss live in the northern or southern part of Oceanside? The ocean stopped in the middle of the town during the storm and the southern part was pretty much destroyed, but the north was fine. (Well except for LIPA's incompetence)

by Anonymousreply 10809/02/2013

I'm Rhonda, this is my sister Sada, and my other sister Zora.....we're from Long Island!

by Anonymousreply 10909/02/2013

I knew three people from Shirley, LI when I was in college and they were all unbelievably trashy. The kind of trashy that you wonder if maybe they have some mental illness going on.

by Anonymousreply 11109/02/2013

R111 Shirley is very very trashy.

by Anonymousreply 11209/02/2013

Can't forget about Mastic, Mastic Beach and Shirley.

by Anonymousreply 11309/02/2013

There are trashy people everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 11409/02/2013

r114, Long Island seems to have a special breed of trashy. The trashy people from LI are just unbelievably crude, rude and low-class in a way that just leaves you staring in disbelief. The kids in my college from Shirley were like that.

by Anonymousreply 11509/02/2013

I agree with R114.

On Long Island your either very bougie/uppity/stuck up or extremely trashy/ill-mannered....there's not much in between.

by Anonymousreply 11609/02/2013

Oops I mean I agree with R115

by Anonymousreply 11709/02/2013

It must be frightening to live on an island, especially such a huge one. At the first sign of trouble you would have to think about your escape plan and making sure you got off the island before the mass rush blocks all the exits. Of course you would want to have a boat just in case.

by Anonymousreply 11809/02/2013

[quote]I Lived in Hicksville. It was fine but has gotten to expensive and crowded....

It's also heavily Pakistani/Indian...our old movie theater is now a Pakistani church...it's also a lot dirtier than I remember.

by Anonymousreply 11909/02/2013

MY mother swears that HIcksville started becoming Indian once the HIP center (a large managed care primary care/diagnostic center) was built in the early 80's. She said there was an influx of physicians and technologists into the area who liked the easy hours at the center, and then they just stayed. Once they came, shops began opening to cater to their tastes. They have a Patel Brothers market there, which is worth popping into if you happen to be in Hicksville. It is the size of a small supermarket, aisles and aisles of every South Asian product you can imagine. The fragrance of the store is fascinating, it is like being in a bazaar.

I grew up in Levittown. It is a lot raggier now than it was in the early 70's when I grew up. Every house has the same size yard (100 x 60 feet), and in the past everyone had a tree on the front lawn and a communal backyard. All that is changed, now everyone is fenced into their tiny plots, it looks like Queens in a way. The streets where we played are bumper to bumper cars now since every family has several. It is working class or lower middle class. The schools aren't terrible, although they don't graduate Westinghouse scholars. The main street ('Hempstead Turnpike') is nothing but strip malls, one after the other. I do not enjoy going back, it took on a very trashy feeling and it didn't have a great reputation even in the 50's.

by Anonymousreply 12009/02/2013

[quote]It must be frightening to live on an island, especially such a huge one. At the first sign of trouble you would have to think about your escape plan and making sure you got off the island before the mass rush blocks all the exits. Of course you would want to have a boat just in case.

Long Island Lighting Company (LILCO), the power company built a $6 billion, yes $6 BILIION nuclear power plant. Christie Brinkley and thousands more protested and the finished plant never opened because there is no escape.

by Anonymousreply 12109/02/2013

R108, not sure what part of town he lives in but he lost most of his house with Sandy. Had to replace basement and first floor.

by Anonymousreply 12209/04/2013

and if you didn't get a raise, there's always Hampton Bays.

by Anonymousreply 12309/04/2013

Because of Hurricane Sandy damage Long Island customers are stuck with a 4% rate hike soon.

LIPA (Long Island Power Authority) responded so poorly during Sandy, their service area is now operated by New Jersey's PSE&G (Public Service Electric & Gas).

by Anonymousreply 12409/04/2013

Long Island is going downhill, it's becoming far more expensive than what it's worth.

A large chunk of middle class long islanders plan on leaving due to this RETARDEDNESS.

People are getting tired of spending $600,000 on a fifty year old 4 bdr 1.5 bath house on a postage stamp of land with $14,000 yearly taxes and crazy high utilities. God forbid you live near the water and have to pay flood insurance on top of everything...

For the same price you can get a luxurious house/lifestyle in 95% of the rest of the country

by Anonymousreply 12509/04/2013

R70 people in the city were more honest back then too. It's the end of middle class culture and the triumph of the cynicism and brutality of the rich.

My family spent 120 years in Hempstead, but booked out of there around 1770.

by Anonymousreply 12609/04/2013

I'm always hearing about how the middle class is leaving LI in droves because of the taxes and housing costs, but they keep adding on at the mall and damned if I can find a parking space. Where are all of these people coming from if the island is emptying out?

by Anonymousreply 12709/04/2013

Brooklyn and Queens are geographically part of Long Island, so why do people from there get offended when you mention that fact?

by Anonymousreply 12809/04/2013

I grew up in Amityville/Massapequa area and in the 70's and 80's it was a nice place to live. The Sunrise Mall took us into a new era and as more and more became built up and more and more empty lots of land became strip malls etc. the area started to become one big crap hole. I rarely go back to the island it has become of pit of crap.

Now sure what kind of trash lives there now but back then it was full of Vinny Boombatz characters and all their bitchy bitches.

by Anonymousreply 12909/04/2013

R128 - Because Brooklyn and Queens are also part of the city. The rest of Long Island, Nassau and Suffolk, are definitely not.

And there's a huge difference between the two.

by Anonymousreply 13009/04/2013

Long Island robbed us of our ocean front.

by Anonymousreply 13109/04/2013

What town does the Long Island Medium, Theresa whatsherface, live in?

I travel to the Garden City/Westbury area quite a bit. They couldn't build another mall there if they tried. Roosevelt Field is there and several other, smaller ones. Traffic is AWFUL!!

My company has an office in Melville. Whenever I'm there I drive past the Porsche/Ferrari dealership but never see anyone on the lot.

by Anonymousreply 13209/05/2013

Any Baldwin brothers or Rosie O'Donnell stories, r129?

by Anonymousreply 13309/05/2013

She's in Hicksville.

by Anonymousreply 13409/05/2013

From 1916-'51 Roosevelt Field Shopping Center was an airport.

by Anonymousreply 13509/06/2013

R128 because there is a whole generation of Brooklyn/ Queens transplants that fought tooth and nail to get their asses out of the crap that was Brooklyn/Queens back in the day and their kids don't like reminding them they only moved 20 miles away.

by Anonymousreply 13609/06/2013

In an episode of "I Love Lucy" the Ricardos are visited by Tennessee Ernie Ford who gets lost on Long Island and needs to walk home to the Ricardos' apartment in Manhattan, of which experience he remarks "And danged if it ain't!!". To the question "Ain't what?", he responds "a LONG ISLAND!!!"

by Anonymousreply 13709/07/2013

Hampton's version of the Hatfields & the McCoys.

Hamptons Foot-Wide Strip Of Land Sells For $120,000.

by Anonymousreply 13809/07/2013

In an episode of "Brooklyn Bridge" the youngest son said he didn't want to move from Bensonhurst to Long Island "because they make you have your own bedroom."

by Anonymousreply 13909/07/2013

I just always think of Amityville.

by Anonymousreply 14009/07/2013

Some classic movies were shot on Long Island. Kevin Kline's little home town Greenleaf, Indiana in "In & Out" is actually Northport. Alan Alda's 'Sweet Liberty" used Southampton for North Carolina. More include North by Northwest& The Godfather.

by Anonymousreply 14109/07/2013

Garden City and Rockville Centre are both lovely. Rockville Centre has a better train commute to NYC.

by Anonymousreply 14209/07/2013

Rockville Center has a major ghetto culture. Look at the Facebook pages for Lauren Daverin who was murdered recently. Get a load of her peeps.

by Anonymousreply 14309/08/2013

r143 Um....that's not really Rockville Centre. That might be their zip code but.....wrong side of tracks

by Anonymousreply 14409/08/2013

It's Rockville Center.

by Anonymousreply 14509/08/2013

r145 No. It's Centre. The Diocese! The Hub! And if you spell it Center, then you don't live there.

by Anonymousreply 14609/08/2013

[quote] they really really really do have that tangy NY accent. a friend who grew up there just admitted to me recently that she grew up not knowing that Chancre Sore wasn't spelled "Kanka soah", as that was how everyone pronounced it

You obviously don't know what a Chancre Sore is. You seem to have confused it with a Canker Sore. They are actually two different things.

by Anonymousreply 14709/08/2013

R146 = Dumbass

by Anonymousreply 14809/08/2013

That murder was 100% within the Village of Rockville Centre. It was on the footbridge between Merrick Rd and Sunrise Hwy.

by Anonymousreply 14909/08/2013

Babylon Village is cute too

by Anonymousreply 15009/08/2013

I love my little village of Amityville.

by Anonymousreply 15109/08/2013

R148 = dumbass

by Anonymousreply 15209/08/2013

I've always liked the Amityvilles. I think they have so much potential. They're in the PERFECT location.

- They're as close to NYC as your gonna get without paying Nassau County taxes. - Crazy amounts of shopping nearby. - LIRR stop - Access to Parkway - Cute village downtown - Reasonably priced housing - Close to the water - Close to the Melville/E.Farmingdale corporate districts

by Anonymousreply 15309/09/2013

[quote]For instance Jewish people may live in one town, but richer Jewish people live in another town. Italians live in one area and black people in another. That sounds weird to me.

Where do you live? Where did you grow up?

by Anonymousreply 15409/09/2013

Oh yeah, and North Amityville's also been improving steadily. I feel really good about the future of the whole area.

Theres a pretty large new upscale subdivision at the end of Albany Ave. Huge beautiful homes.

They're also demolishing all of the trailer parks along Rt.110.

You also rarely hear about any shootings from N.Amityville like you used to 5+ years ago.

by Anonymousreply 15509/09/2013

R154

When it comes to the racial distributions of Long Island, I would say that the guy is pretty accurate.

However, I know that there are some racially mixed and integrated areas on LI such as Valley Stream, Glen Cove, Westbury, Baldwin, Wheatley Heights, Bay Shore... and a few more that arent coming to mind at the moment.

and I also know much of northwest Nassau got *huge* influxes of South Asians in recent years.

So Long Island is much more diverse then it used to be

by Anonymousreply 15609/09/2013

[quote]What is Centerport like?

I live there. It's a two stoplight village between Huntington and Northport. I live up in the hills overlooking the water (view only in winter) and I love it there. I grew up one village over in Northport and was born in Huntington to the West. It's a really sweet area. Centerport is considered the end of the "Gold Coast," with one big mansion built by a Vanderbilt, now a museum. If you'd like to tour Long Island, I'd say just get on Route 25a and take that out through Nassau and Suffolk counties. It's a great drive that takes you through the more interesting parts of the Island.

Back in the ice age when the glacier carved out Long Island Sound, it piled all the debris up on the North Shore, which is why that part of Long Island has hills and valleys, unlike the Hamptons and South Shore which are flat.

by Anonymousreply 15709/09/2013

[quote] Back in the ice age when the glacier carved out Long Island Sound

I'm pretty sure there are people here who were around to see that happen.

by Anonymousreply 15809/09/2013

If you live on the south shore you're either a fireman or a personal trainer.

by Anonymousreply 15909/09/2013

I was born on the south shore, but got my cat from a shelter in Huntington. He constantly lords it over me.

by Anonymousreply 16009/09/2013

R159

lol, thats one hell of a stretch

Though I agree that the south shore of LI is considerably more blue-collar than the north shore.

by Anonymousreply 16109/09/2013

There are no hipsters on Long Island. Westchester, yes but Long Island, no. How come?

by Anonymousreply 16209/13/2013

The WASPs live in Westchester and Connecticut.

They all arrive at Grand Central Terminal.

The Catholics, and Jews live in Long Island and New Jersey. They all arrive at Penn Station.

All you have to do is stand in the middle of each train station and look around.

by Anonymousreply 16309/13/2013

So Scarsdale,isn't Jewish? New Rochelle? And lots of Jews have moved into Armonk, Chappaqua and Katonah.

Back to Long Island, the anti-Gay, conservative head of the New York Senate, Dean Skelos, is from very Catholic RVC.

by Anonymousreply 16409/13/2013

Frances Conroy was raised in Long Island

Just felt like sharing, really

by Anonymousreply 16509/13/2013

Unspeakably horrible place with unspeakably horrible people.

by Anonymousreply 16609/13/2013

I have mixed emotions about LI.

The biggest loudmouth assholes reside here. The strip mall south shore is dismal.

Lyme disease central.

And yet....so much of it is still gorgeous, and I often just love how colorful and emotional the people are. Very direct, too.

by Anonymousreply 16709/14/2013

Too many speed traps.

by Anonymousreply 16809/14/2013

ha ha r168

by Anonymousreply 16909/14/2013

Where are there hipsters in Westchester? I doubt many hipsters would be interested in living in Westchester or Long Island unless there's some kind of "scene" in the towns or smaller cities.

by Anonymousreply 17009/14/2013

There aren't any hipsters on Long Island.

by Anonymousreply 17109/14/2013

Westchester hipsters can be found in Port Chester. SUNY Purchase students and drop outs. Also, I have heard there are hipster enclaves in the Hudson valley,which isn't quite Westchester.

But Long Island? Very un-hipster unless emo high schoolers count.

by Anonymousreply 17209/14/2013

[quote] If you live on the south shore you're either a fireman or a personal trainer.

The Hamptons are on the south shore

by Anonymousreply 17309/15/2013

R173, so is SHIRLEY and MASTic. The rule doesn't work like that.

by Anonymousreply 17409/15/2013

Perfect for big families.

by Anonymousreply 17509/15/2013

[quote]Frances Conroy was raised in Long Island

She was on "Royal Pains" this season filming up and down LI.

by Anonymousreply 17609/15/2013

Gotta say growing up On Long Island was wonderful. School trips were to "the city" to see Broadway shows or some of the best museums in the world. One time we actually went to a hotel for lunch and then to a movie, "Man Of La Mancha" at the Rivoli Theater on Broadway. Even then my little gay taste knew it was a dog.

We went to the beach on the weekends... Sometimes The Hamptons but usually Jones beach and Robert Moses which everyone I knew called Fire Island though it wasn't THAT Fire Island but just next to it.

Nice mixed neighborhood, no fights, no shootings everyone got along. Leave in the morning, home at dusk. Every village had a movie theater or two and you could walk to them and believe me, I did.

I was looking back and usually the past has a nice shiny gleam to it but I can honestly say I had a great life there.

by Anonymousreply 17709/15/2013

Fat italian sausage for you growing up also R177?

by Anonymousreply 17809/15/2013

r153 people live ON Long Island.

by Anonymousreply 17909/15/2013

I highly recommend the community where I was born, have lived all my life, and reared my children -Garden City.

by Anonymousreply 18009/15/2013
Need more help? Click Here.