Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Jessica Lange in the 70''s, 80''s

No one was more beautiful!

by Anonymousreply 20003/24/2013

Odd that she is from Minnesota. I always figured she was from the South, she had that subtle drawl down pretty well.

by Anonymousreply 112/29/2010

She was ethereal, a perfect example of quiet beauty.

by Anonymousreply 212/29/2010

ummmmm, pardon?

by Anonymousreply 412/29/2010

hardly, r4, she has no warmth

by Anonymousreply 512/29/2010

hardly r5, you have no taste.

by Anonymousreply 612/29/2010

Catherine did not have te soft sweetness in her features JL had.

by Anonymousreply 712/29/2010

r6 is Helen Keller

by Anonymousreply 812/29/2010

I never thought Jessica Lange was classically beautiful. Pretty in an off-beat way, attractive, interesting, a wonderful actress. But not beautiful. Her face is too flat, her eyes off-kilter, her nose pushed-in. In certain roles, with certain makeup and lighting, she can look great and the unevenness of her features adds character and interest to her face. %0D %0D She was at her loveliest in "Tootsie, where she was positively luminous. But some of that had to do with the fluffy blonde hairdo that lit up like a halo around her face. And the sweet, rather dim character she played.%0D %0D She was wonderful in "Frances." But if you want to see a classical beauty, check out the young Frances Farmer. She leaves Jessica Lange in the dust.%0D %0D Lange started losing her looks fairly early and got coarse-looking. She looks awful as a brunette in "Sweet Dreams." Then the plastic surgery ruined her completely.

by Anonymousreply 912/29/2010

Well, La Deneuve certainly won in the long term.

by Anonymousreply 1012/29/2010

More beautiful than Jessica Lange:%0D %0D Vivien Leigh ("incredibly pretty")%0D Hedy Lamarr%0D the very young Ava Gardner (before she got coarse and slutty-looking)%0D Sophia Loren even now%0D Audrey Hepburn (always luminous)%0D Ingrid Bergman (in an earth-goddess way)%0D Silvana Magnano (magnificent)%0D Catherine Deneuve%0D %0D %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 1112/29/2010

Jessica Lange was very sexy back then. I loved her in The Postman Always Rings Twice. She was beautiful, but there is also something very intense about her; she seems both fragile and tough (though more fragile). I remember watching Blue Sky when it came out and thinking to myself, she will win an Oscar for this. A performance of hers that gets overlooked is in Cape Fear. She is a ticking bomb there.

A famous film director who directed Lange said to me: Lange is a perfect combination of emotional and intellectual.

by Anonymousreply 1212/29/2010

Pay attention, R11. We are talking about the 70s and 80s.

by Anonymousreply 1312/29/2010

Old Jessie, although a remarkable actress, could never be in the leagues of a Deneuve or others for that matter. She's just a bit too tough...a bit too wall-eyed and frankly...common. She's got classic *PO* face.

by Anonymousreply 1412/29/2010

ya r15, coz somebody *stamped* her face.%0D %0D nooooooo....like po white trash. po face.

by Anonymousreply 1612/29/2010

Not to get off topic but what about Barbara Hershey? She is positively scary looking in Black Swan and was really quite beautiful in the early 80's. She was nowhere near as beautiful as Lange but she was her contemporary in many ways. It's funny how they both had their eyes fucked up by bad surgery.

by Anonymousreply 1712/29/2010

I agree. Kind of like an American Sophia Loren. Like Loren, a wonderful person as well it seems.

by Anonymousreply 1812/29/2010

When was All That Jazz made? There was a reason Fosse cast Lange as the angel, albeit the angel of death.

by Anonymousreply 1912/29/2010

Ehm!

by Anonymousreply 2212/29/2010

r22...you got it. makes ole jess look a bit mutt faced.

by Anonymousreply 2312/29/2010

If only we didn't all succumb to age.

by Anonymousreply 2412/29/2010

R20, make that list. When I think of the 70s, I don't think glamorous movie actresses.

by Anonymousreply 2512/29/2010

The young Deneuve was sublime.

by Anonymousreply 2612/29/2010

Glad to, R25. I agree the 70s are tough (I left out 60s holdovers like Julie Christie). And only movies, no TV. %0D %0D Here goes:%0D %0D 70's actresses more beautiful than JL%0D %0D Jacqueline Bissett%0D Isabelle Adjani%0D Faye Dunaway%0D %0D %0D 80's actresses more beautiful than JL%0D %0D Nastassja Kinski%0D Gong Li%0D Andie McDowell%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 2712/29/2010

Faye Dunaway at the time of "Chinatown" was absolutely stunning.

by Anonymousreply 2812/29/2010

Please, none of those ladies had top selling swimsuit posters.

by Anonymousreply 2912/29/2010

Is Andi McDowall borderline retarded or something? She was pretty but a horrible actress. She was horribe in Four Weddings but she always comes across as vacant.

by Anonymousreply 3012/29/2010

Blondes and blonds don't age well. Another example would be Rebecca DeMornay, who now closely resembles Margaret Hamilton in "Oz".%0D %0D Two other blondes who also hit the wall hard but were physically superior to Lange in the '70s and '80s are Kim Basinger and Michelle Pfeiffer.

by Anonymousreply 3112/29/2010

Robin Wright Penn is like a latter day Jessica Lange to me. Same kind of early beauty, same kind of coarsening (though sexy!) aging.

by Anonymousreply 3212/29/2010

LOL@R31!! Asshole

by Anonymousreply 3312/29/2010

R29, I agree. But I said no TV! And I wasn't going for overall "hotness," only pure facial beauty.%0D %0D But actresses like Jaclyn Smith and Jane Seymour were 70's/80's tv actresses of great facial beauty. Farrah Fawcett, while not a classic beauty, was stunning in her way, the All-American girl (and not a bad actress either: she's great in "Small Sacrifices").%0D %0D %0D But it wasn't about acting chops either. Andie McDowell in Greystoke was gorgeous, but not much of an actress (Glenn Close supposedly dubbed her). But she got better. She was luminous in Groundhog Day.%0D %0D Some of the actresses on my list are both great beauties and great actresses: Faye Dunaway, Gong Li, Isabelle Adjani.

by Anonymousreply 3412/29/2010

Agree on Robin Wright Penn. Similar "type" to Jessica Lange.%0D %0D And yes, let's not forget Michelle Pfeiffer and Kim Basinger.%0D %0D How about more 70's girls? They are the difficult ones. It was not an attractive time for women.

by Anonymousreply 3512/29/2010

Talented and sexy 70's, 80's actresses...%0D %0D Meryl Streep...Kramer v/s Kramer%0D %0D Jane Fonda...Klute%0D %0D Madge Sinclair...TV Actress, Trapper John MD%0D %0D Paula Prentiss...Last of the Red Hot Lovers%0D %0D Shirley Maclaine...The Turning Point%0D %0D ...there are scads of them%0D %0D Jessica Lange was gorgeous. She looked stunning and had that interesting accent and a great talent and a nice tonality to her voice. But, she was not alone back then at all. %0D %0D %0D %0D %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 3612/29/2010

All talented and attractive/sexy.%0D %0D But for sheer beauty, none of them would rank even with Jessica Lange.%0D %0D Try harder. More!

by Anonymousreply 3712/29/2010

Thanks R20, R27. But aren't both Bisset and Dunaway 60's holdovers too? %0D %0D Robin Wright reminds me more of Julie Christie than Jessica Lange. Same strong jaw. %0D %0D Yeah, the true beauties of the era were on TV. Movies of the 70s really weren't about glamour, and certainly not the women. %0D %0D Farrah at her peak was just hair and the teeth. She aged into a leathery hawk. %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 3812/29/2010

[quote]Robin Wright reminds me more of Julie Christie than Jessica Lange. Same strong jaw.

Here's a photo of Lange where I can see some resemblance to Robin Wright.

I forgot to say that Lange is wonderful in Rob Roy.

by Anonymousreply 3912/29/2010

I thought PO face meant "PUSSY ODOR" face.

by Anonymousreply 4012/29/2010

Alison Lohman resembles Lange. Didn't she play a young Lange in BIG FISH?

by Anonymousreply 4112/29/2010

She is so wonderful in "Tootsie". Her warmth and charm make a great film even better. There's a scene where she's making "Dorothy" dinner. She's drinking a glass of wine, her hair is messy and she's barefoot. Gay man that I am, I still fall in love every time I see that scene. She's adorable.

by Anonymousreply 4212/29/2010

Quirky 70s film actreses: %0D %0D Ellen Burstyn%0D %0D Meryl Streep%0D %0D Karen Black%0D %0D Diane Keaton%0D %0D Gena Rowlands%0D %0D Barbra Streisand%0D %0D Beautiful 70s film actresses:%0D %0D Candice Bergen%0D %0D Jacqueline Bisset%0D %0D Faye Dunaway%0D %0D Mia Farrow%0D %0D Julie Christie%0D %0D Raquel Welch%0D %0D %0D %0D %0D %0D %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 4312/29/2010

To me Charlotte Rampling was much more beautiful than Bisett or even young Deneuve (I think Deneuve was more beautiful in her 40s and 50s, more sensual). Dunaway was beautiful, but her career had a very short peak in the mid 70s.

Has anyone seen Lange's photography? I wonder if it's any good.

by Anonymousreply 4412/29/2010

Most of the actresses overlap decades. Both Bisset and Dunaway started in the 60s but didn't really get big until the 70s (I think Bonnie and Clyde came out around 68 and made her a star, but it was too late in the decade to count her as a 60s actress). Someone like Julie Christie would count as a sixties actress because she did most of her big work in the mid-60s (Darling, Zhivago, Madding Crowd) though she was still quite active in the 70s (Shampoo, Heaven Can Wait).

by Anonymousreply 4512/29/2010

[quote]She is so wonderful in "Tootsie". Her warmth and charm make a great film even better. There's a scene where she's making "Dorothy" dinner. She's drinking a glass of wine, her hair is messy and she's barefoot. Gay man that I am, I still fall in love every time I see that scene. She's adorable.

I thought she was a bore in Tootsie. She was kind of just there and was more window dressing then anything else. There was nothing interesting about her character other then being Dustin Hoffman's love interest.

Teri Garr was the better actress in Tootsie, hell I thought Doris Belack was great as well.

by Anonymousreply 4612/29/2010

Catherine Deneuve, Cybill Shepherd, Karen Allen, Donna Dixon, were all prettier (to name a few)%0D %0D Jessica Lange was pretty, but I've never gotten her appeal. She always acts like she's half lit. And aside from "frances" I can't think of another performance she gave where she was truly stellar. Maybe "Music Box".

by Anonymousreply 4712/29/2010

Good call, R44. I forgot about Rampling. I should have added her to my 70's list. Though she worked into the 80's (The Verdict) and started in the 60's (Georgy Girl).%0D %0D Yes, Jessica Lange was adorable in Tootsie. Enchanting. But she did have great hair. That luminous cloud of blonde hair.%0D %0D She was also very good in Rob Roy. But I didn't think she looked very good. Not that she was necessarily supposed to. But that was the first film she appeared in where I thought the bloom was going off the rose. And that was way before the plastic surgery.%0D %0D She was fantastic in Blue Skies. One of the most accurate portrayals of bipolar disorder I have seen (the other one is, strangely, Sally Field on E.R.).

by Anonymousreply 4812/29/2010

Robin and Jessica have the same forehead. I love the look of a high forehead.%0D %0D %0D Jessica has a beaufiul profile.

by Anonymousreply 4912/29/2010

ole jess's face is like a pekenese...sort a mushed in and sidelong...then there's the walleye.

by Anonymousreply 5012/29/2010

Michelle Pfeiffer has hit the wall?!

by Anonymousreply 5112/29/2010

Right? I think Michelle Pfeiffer was and is one of the most beautiful blondes. Too often, blonde hair seems to be enough to qualify an actress as a "beauty," but Pfeiffer absolutely deserves the label.

by Anonymousreply 5212/29/2010

You know who was pretty - Lesley Ann Warren.

by Anonymousreply 5312/29/2010

And her:

by Anonymousreply 5412/29/2010

No one tops Dianne Kay

by Anonymousreply 5512/29/2010

Pheiffer is way too thin, it makes her look haggard

by Anonymousreply 5612/29/2010

Lynda Carter

by Anonymousreply 5712/29/2010

Depends on how you define beauty. If it's "perfect symmetry, complete absence of personality," then you're limited to the Cybill Shepherd and Catherine Deneuve types for whom acting and modeling are pretty much the same thing. If you allow for actual acting ability, including being able to alter the expression on their faces to convey emotion without having to be coaxed through it by a director who's currently fucking them, then you can include Lange and Dunaway and so on.

by Anonymousreply 5812/29/2010

So Anna Magnani was beautiful then

by Anonymousreply 5912/29/2010

R58, no one would have ever guessed you're gay.

by Anonymousreply 6012/29/2010

Diane Lane was prettier than Jessica Lang. Helen Mirren was prettier in the 70's than Lang.

by Anonymousreply 6112/29/2010

Why Joanna, I thought we were friends...

by Anonymousreply 6212/29/2010

Jessica Lange...has been my favorite actress since her Academy Award-nominated performance in "Frances." She should have won. There was no one better. And since then, she's always turned in great performances. Also loved Jessica in "Men Don't Leave."

by Anonymousreply 6312/29/2010

Helen Mirren has a horseface. She's attractive despite her looks.

by Anonymousreply 6412/29/2010

r62 who are those two actresses?

by Anonymousreply 6512/29/2010

Katherine Ross and Peggy March

by Anonymousreply 6612/29/2010

Paula Prentiss and Katherine Ross. %0D %0D They were both just as attractive as Jessica Lange but Paula Prentiss was far more talened than Katherine Ross (IMHO). %0D %0D That is a youtube clip from the original Stepford Wives movie from 1975.

by Anonymousreply 6712/29/2010

J L is just soooo sexy. Or was.%0D %0D Even in that early 2000's Gwyneth P. movie "Hush" she is aged but quite beautiful. Hell a fucking MILF.

by Anonymousreply 6812/29/2010

r44,%0D %0D Agree about Charlotte Rampling. %0D %0D So naturally gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 6912/29/2010

Julie Christie was stunning throughout the 70s, especially in McCabe and Mrs. Miller, but she was at her pinnacle of beauty in Petulia. I don't know why that film doesn't get referenced more - it's an amazing slice of late 60's San Francisco, with beautiful performances by Christie, George C Scott, and Richard Chamberlain. You even get live performances by Janis Joplin and the Grateful Dead, and scenes at Alcatraz. It's terrific, and Christie is jaw-dropping.

by Anonymousreply 7012/29/2010

Coincidentally, I happened to watch a DVD of Tootsie last week and I was struck (once again) at the brilliance of Jessica Lange, who takes a very generic and realy rather insipid role and breathes an incredible warmth, charismaatic sexuality and specificity into it. %0D %0D Her Oscar was totally deserved imho. How anyone would not fall in love with her after that performance amazes me.%0D %0D And her performance in HBO's Grey Gardens as Big Edie was simply astounding.

by Anonymousreply 7112/29/2010

She was pretty fetching in Rob Roy

by Anonymousreply 7212/29/2010

Isn't there a scene in Rob Roy where the dude is like, "Yo, I love the smell of QUIM in the morning...?!"%0D %0D Re: Teri Garr vs J. L. in Tootsie. Bitch, PLEASE. TG was perfect in her role but she was NOT pretty. JL was beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 7312/29/2010

I loved her in the HBO version of Grey Gardens. Really powerful. And yes, I realize this doesn't have anything to do with her in the 70s or 80s. Just thought I'd mention it.

by Anonymousreply 7412/29/2010

King Kong 1976 is still one of my fav movies.

by Anonymousreply 7512/29/2010

Jessica Lange is one of those people who film and photograph far better than they appear in real life. In person, she doesn't have any sex appeal and is quite unremarkable looking. Not a head-turner by any means, and I'm talking as far back as the 1980s. Her yucky personality (snotty and neurotic) comes through quite well, though.

That said, I really like her acting very much.

by Anonymousreply 7612/30/2010

I've always thought her snottiness must be such a deeply embedded part of her personality that it cannot be hidden when she acts; she even developed an unpleasant sneer that gave her even more of an nasty demeanor. Tootsie was the only role she ever had in which she successfully portrayed a nice person. Otherwise all her roles revealed her basic dissatisfaction and misanthropy. Not a classy lady at all. She sneers! And has had actresses fired when she thinks Shepard is screwing them. Insecure enough to keep shoveling plastic into her face and then sewing it up to her hairline. pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 7712/30/2010

Elizabeth Taylor in%0D %0D A Place in the Sun.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 7812/30/2010

What actresses did JL have fired r77?

by Anonymousreply 7912/30/2010

I would agree with OP, I never thought about Lange's eye being crooked etc, primarily because the overall impression she gives is simply breathtaking, you don't scrutinize Lange's looks down to geometry the way you do with models or less talented performers because the overall impression is so captivating.

by Anonymousreply 8012/30/2010

Well said R80. Is she still with Sam Sheppard? God I love him, he is my ideal, even with the bad teeth.

As for Lange's photography, I was staying at a Hotel in St. Remy France where it was being displayed. I wasn't overly impressed, said to say. It was kind of boring.

by Anonymousreply 8112/30/2010

PS- R61, Diane Lane was a child in the 70's at the most a teenager.

by Anonymousreply 8212/30/2010

I wish Meryl would stop hogging all the good roles for Women of A Certain Age so we could see some more work from Jessica.

by Anonymousreply 8312/30/2010

[quote]Her Oscar was totally deserved imho. How anyone would not fall in love with her after that performance amazes me.

It was a nothing part and she wasn't particularly memorable. She won the Oscar as consolation prize because no one was going to be Meryl that year.

[quote]I wish Meryl would stop hogging all the good roles for Women of A Certain Age so we could see some more work from Jessica.

Too late. The bad plastic surgery will keep her from getting those parts.

by Anonymousreply 8412/30/2010

Has anyone ever seen a picture of the daughter Jessica had with Baryshnikov ?%0D %0D With those 2 as parents I assume she's a beauty.

by Anonymousreply 8512/30/2010

[quote]as I understood the question, it was "Jessica Lange in the 70s and 80s -- was anyone ever more beautiful?" That is, was anyone ever more beautiful than Jessica Lange was in the 70s and 80s.

[quote]You are interpreting it to mean, "Was anyone in the 70s and 80s more beautiful than Jessica Lange?" Two entirely different meanings. I believe that my interpretation was correct.

I doesn't really matter, but I disagree. Ultimately, only OP knows what s/he meant.

by Anonymousreply 8612/30/2010

r85, I've never see her, but I hear she likes to leap ala grande jete for all she's worth.

by Anonymousreply 8712/30/2010

Lange, even when young and before the smoking and bad surgery corrupted her face, always looked like she had taken a punch to the nose at an early age.

by Anonymousreply 8812/30/2010

I remembered seeing some photos of Lange and her daughter not too long ago. So, here you go, R85. The daughter is married and with one or two kids already.

by Anonymousreply 8912/30/2010

Can you tell by this photo if she had any work done? I honestly can't.

by Anonymousreply 9012/30/2010

is that barishnikov's daughter. wow, she's something.

by Anonymousreply 9112/30/2010

If we're talking about '70s beauties, I think lauren Hutton ranks right up there. Of course, she wasn't a stellar actress, but she was gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 9212/30/2010

R9 is right about Frances Farmer. She was truly stunning.

by Anonymousreply 9312/30/2010

R58 I guess by acting, you mean belting to the balcony. How many movies has Dunaway chewed the scenery in? She is incapable of giving a restrained performance.%0D %0D Lange is pure ham in "Blue Sky". She only won because the competition was so weak that year. It was an Orion film that sat on the shelf for four years! She's probably the only actress with two oscars where you could say that neither was really well deserved.

by Anonymousreply 9412/30/2010

r91 - yes, unfortunately she looks just like Misha....that is "something" alright.

And if you look at JL you can see she's had shit done to her face, botox between the eyebrows and ...well, it's just all gone SOUTH in a bad way. And go back on that zimbio link above and the green dress outfit...oy!

by Anonymousreply 9512/30/2010

[quote]Re: Teri Garr vs J. L. in Tootsie. Bitch, PLEASE. TG was perfect in her role but she was NOT pretty. JL was beautiful.

Teri Garr was a pretty lady not beautiful but very attractive. The discussion isn't who was prettier in Tootsie but who had a better performance. That would be Teri Garr.

Teri wrote in her book that Lange glared at her the whole time she was performing the opening number at the 1985 Academy Awards.

by Anonymousreply 9612/30/2010

Even the kid(s) she has with Sheppard are stunningly unattractive.

by Anonymousreply 9712/30/2010

Teri wrote in her book that Lange glared at her the whole time she was performing the opening number at the 1985 Academy Awards.%0D %0D %0D %0D wow! I would have thought it was the other way around. Teri was resentful that Lange got nominated in two catagories.

by Anonymousreply 9812/30/2010

You know you really can't compare Frances Farmer and those actresses from the 30s and 40s who were rarely photogrphed without studio control (makeup, hair and lighting) or even in controlled color photography.%0D %0D If you've ever seen some of those fun coffee table books of color portraits of those Golden Age stars you'll know what I mean...the ones before they really did much to erase blemishes, pimples, dry hair and bitten fingernails.

by Anonymousreply 9912/30/2010

The Golden Age photographers and cinematographers were absolute geniuses, as well as the makeup artists & hair people.

We have SOME of those miracle workers today, for instance, anyone working on Brangelina...we all know that Pitt looks like shit but I saw one photograph of him on a set of that baseball movie and he looked great, even his wig looked good. IRL, Pitt's daily wig usually looks bad, and in The Tourist, pix of saw of AJ were breathtaking however IRL she's sloppy, not really very good looking and looks like a victim of plastic surgery.

by Anonymousreply 10012/30/2010

R94, you say "Lange was pure ham in Blue Skies." In fairness to Lange, she was playing a manic-depressive. It's not the kind of condition that leads people to behave in a restrained, understated fashion which an actor would depict through tasteful underplaying.%0D %0D It's exactly that sort of thinking that leads to actors playing manic depressives as slightly zany charmers who are just a little bit more uninhibited and fun-loving than the rest of us (Richard Gere in "Mr. Jones").%0D %0D A clinically manic person is frightening. Totally out of control. Larger than life. And yes, you could say, "hammy."

by Anonymousreply 10112/30/2010

Good point, R99, but you can also see many of these actresses in candid photographs where they still look great.%0D %0D Frances Farmer worked with the Group Theater in New York. You can see pictures of her with other group theater actorsm not glamorized, not specially lighted. She is still stunning. Even in the pictures where she is being arrested for disorderly conduct, you can see the beauty, even if she looks totally nuts.%0D %0D But yes, the cinematographers and portait photographers of the 30s could perform miracles, especially in black and white. Those books ("Four Fabulous Faces" was one) are great.

by Anonymousreply 10212/30/2010

r102 do you have links to those Frances Farmer photos?

BTW, speaking of Frances Farmer, what was wrong with her? Bipolar? Borderline?

by Anonymousreply 10312/30/2010

R103, try ffarest.gif (frances farmer arrest).%0D %0D Or just type in "frances farmer arrest photos" on google and a bunch of pictures will come up.%0D %0D Sorry, I don't know how to do the link thing.

by Anonymousreply 10412/30/2010

Frances Farmer%0D %0D She was a stunner and very far ahead of her time! %0D %0D %0D Kenneth Anger wrote in 'Hollywood Babylon' that her mother "wiggled her fat ass down to Hollywood, had her daughter declared mentally incompetent and signed the commitment papers." %0D %0D Kurt Cobain wrote a song about her called "Frances Farmer Will Have Her Revenge On Seattle." That song has a really great line 'She'll come back as fire, burn all the liars, and leave a blanket of ash on the ground.' It is a great song.%0D %0D I think that maybe Frances Farmer was too smart and ahead of her time for her era. And, that, coupled with her drinking, flipped people the hell out. %0D %0D Or she was bat shit. There is always that. %0D %0D %0D %0D %0D %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 10512/30/2010

Ok I put in frances farmer arrest into google, this is the first link. To put in links, just use the URL button below, copy & paste your url into it.

by Anonymousreply 10612/30/2010

R103, from what I know, she was most likely manic depressive (a lot of actors, writers, and musicians are -- read "Touched by Fire" about the link between bipolar disorder and creativity). Borderlines don't get as crazy as manic depressives. They are just sort of difficult and temperamental and generally unstable (Marilyn Monroe was supposed to be borderline. Also Princess Diana). %0D %0D But the belief by some that Frances Farmer was lobotomized while in the mental hospital has turned out to be a complete myth. There is no evidence for it.

by Anonymousreply 10712/30/2010

R100%0D %0D Brad Pitt does not wear a wig/toupe in his day to day life.

by Anonymousreply 10812/30/2010

Here's one Frances Farmer arrest photo where she doesn't look that great. If you look at her early photos you'll see that she looked much better before the studio plucked out her eyebrows.

I think Lange is more beautiful than Farmer and I'm basing my opinion on Come and Get It, the only films of Farmer's that I saw.

by Anonymousreply 10912/30/2010

[quote]IRL, Pitt's daily wig usually looks bad, and in The Tourist, pix of saw of AJ were breathtaking however IRL she's sloppy, not really very good looking and looks like a victim of plastic surgery.

What is IRL?

by Anonymousreply 11012/30/2010

R107 Paula Prentiss was mentioned earlier in this thread and she has manic depression. Richard Benjamin had to go to her locations and she had to have folks help her at home when he had to work. The rumor is that his mother helped a very great deal. %0D %0D She tried to commit suicide during the filming of "What's New Pussycat" and went through treatment back in those unfortunate days of such things.%0D %0D Weird link between creativity and manic depression. Really weird.

by Anonymousreply 11112/30/2010

Okay, R109, fair enough. "Come and Get It" is about as good as it gets for her.%0D %0D Everyone has his own taste.

by Anonymousreply 11212/30/2010

r110, please do comment and correct my grammar. I'm appreciative of grammar queens and obviously I did get it all wrong.

by Anonymousreply 11312/30/2010

R111, I did not know that about Paula Prentiss. Did she remain married to Richard Benjamin or did they divorce?

by Anonymousreply 11412/30/2010

I vote for Ann-Margaret!

by Anonymousreply 11512/30/2010

R113, from what I can see of the snippet included by R110, your problem is not grammar but punctuation. And a typo. You have "of" where you seem to mean "I" (there's your typo) and you need a semi-colon before "however" and a comma after it. Or you can start a new sentence with "however" and capitalize.%0D %0D That's punctuation. No grammar problem that I can see. But maybe R110 is a better grammarian than I (that is what I would call "hypercorrect" grammar -- the more relaxed and colloquial form would be "better grammarian than me).

by Anonymousreply 11612/30/2010

R113, you also need a comma after "IRL." I forgot that. Commas before and after "IRL."%0D %0D It's sweet that you want to be corrected, but we're all just having fun here and we all make mistakes sometimes. Don't worry about it.

by Anonymousreply 11712/30/2010

And I see that I made some punctuation mistakes myself in the post where I pointed out yours, R113.%0D %0D See how silly this can get?

by Anonymousreply 11812/30/2010

IRL: in real life%0D %0D Even I figured that one out.

by Anonymousreply 11912/30/2010

Thanks, R119. I thought it was someone's initial.

[quote]But maybe R110 is a better grammarian than

I doubt it. English is my second language. Maybe that's why I have a hard time comprehending 'messy' posts.

by Anonymousreply 12012/30/2010

r116 & r120 - thanks.

I know it looked absolutely dreadful especially as quoted. To be honest, I consider myself a grammar & spelling queen myself but I'm not very good at it.

by Anonymousreply 12112/31/2010

Cher 1969

by Anonymousreply 12212/31/2010

I love OP.

Jessica Lange is my all time favorite actress.

Even with her botched surgery I still find her insanely attractive.

Frances, Men Don't Leave (I started a thread here not too long ago about that film!), Music Box (I thought she was stunning actingwise in this), Blue Sky..

Other performances that deserve note-

Cape Fear- How she didn't get a Supporting Actress nomination for this boggles me (I know that whatshername got all the attention as the daughter)

Losing Isaiah- Excellent performance in a faulted film. Halle Berry was solid too. Jessica said she regrets making this film.

Everybody's All American- which she said she also regretted making- She was luminous in this film.

I have read numerous times that she is VERY private and VERY shy. I never read nice things about her from people who have supposedly met her and that makes me sad. I hope that she is not a bitch. Directors and actors adore her but have also said that she is very private.

Her interview on that insipid Actors Studio show was very revealing, she mentioned that there is alot of sadness in her. It was a great interview.

On a side note, I think Katherine Ross in The Graduate, is ungodly beautiful. Just stunning.

by Anonymousreply 12312/31/2010

r114%0D %0D Believe it or not they are actually still married. %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 12412/31/2010

I never thought Lange was a "classic beauty", although she undoubtedly was very attractive. She was, however, so unbelievably sexy.

One of my favorite actresses ever. There are few actresses who can move me the way she does and make me cry. Debra Winger is another one of them.

Too bad she fucked her face up the way she did. Staying with a man who cheats on her left and right probably made her feel insecure and low.

by Anonymousreply 12512/31/2010

I mentioned her performance in Cape Fear upthread. She is such a mixture of conflicting emotions there, yet they all ring true.

by Anonymousreply 12612/31/2010

R124, I am so happy to hear that. Makes you believe in true love.

by Anonymousreply 12712/31/2010

Sam Sheppard had an affair with Patti Smith while married to another actress. I guess old habits and all. Maybe they have an understanding?

by Anonymousreply 12812/31/2010

I worship the ground Jessica Lange walks on, but even I can admit that as charming as she was in Tootsie, it most certainly was not an Oscar-worthy performance. Yes, we know she won there because Meryl had a lock on Best Actress, but for the love of god, Teri Garr gave the Supporting Actress performance in the film. It is, in fact, a textbook comedic masterwork of a performance. Shame on the Academy. Garr's career would also have had a different trajectory had she won, not the disappointing, MS-damaged one she ended up with.

by Anonymousreply 12912/31/2010

#129, I completely agree regarding Tootsie.

It was wrong and definitely an award for Frances.

She was luminous but it sure as hell was not an Oscar caliber role- and no actress could make that role and Oscar caliber one.

by Anonymousreply 13012/31/2010

R128, nope they don't have an arrangement. A friend of mine once gave an extremely intoxicated (per usual) Sam Shepherd a ride home from a bar late one night. It was a good 25-minute drive on a dangerous winding country road, so definitely a big favor. Jessica was waiting on the front porch in her bathrobe. As Sam stumbled out of the car, Jessica began screaming "You bastard, getting this whore to bring you home!" My friend yelled out the window "Fuck you bitch. I only brought his drunk ass home because he couldn't drive. Fuck both of you!" And then she sped off. All the while, Sam was swaying to & fro, waving bye-bye and thanking her.

Lord only knows how many times that scenario repeated itself over the years.

by Anonymousreply 13112/31/2010

[quote]Lord only knows how many times that scenario repeated itself over the years.

I was watching this scene from Cape Fear earlier today and thinking, how familiar this scenario must have been to Lange - she gets into a fight with Nick Nolte's character over his alleged affair with a secretary. Lange is brilliant, playing a betrayed wife that, regardless of the hurt, can't give up her marriage.

by Anonymousreply 13212/31/2010

r129%0D %0D The career of Marisa Tomei perhaps?

by Anonymousreply 13312/31/2010

R131: That's a great story!!!

Don't know why a woman stays with a man likethat.

by Anonymousreply 13412/31/2010

R134, because she loves him, and I guess he loves her too, in his own way. Sam is a dog, but he's sexy, handsome (if you like that type, and I do), friendly, and smart as hell. Everyone loved hanging out with him. He liked to fuck waitresses in those days, but was very sweet and genial about it when they turned him down.

Jessica wasn't very popular because she was too uptight, shrill and "actressy." When she's dissatisfied about something or in a bad mood-- whether related to her private or public/professional life-- she wants everyone to know about it! Maybe she's mellowed out now, but when I see the latest version of her Joker-esque visage, I think there's a Dorian Gray thing doing on

by Anonymousreply 13512/31/2010

I DONT want Jessica to be a cunt! Any nice stories?

by Anonymousreply 13601/01/2011

Faye Dunaway, Cher, Jacqueline Bissett, Lindsay Wagner, Michelle Pfeiffer. No one compares. Jessica Lange is bland. Beautiful? Maybe, but bland.

by Anonymousreply 13701/01/2011

I don't find her bland.

by Anonymousreply 13801/01/2011

She's not bland. What a silly thing to say.

by Anonymousreply 13901/01/2011

R136-- someone posted a pleasant story about her here several months ago. Sorry, I ain't got nothing.

by Anonymousreply 14001/01/2011

I actually thought Jessica Lange was merely pleasantly attractive UNTIL "Rob Roy," when I suddenly found her stunning. There was a sensuality about her around that era, it's hard to explain, but I remember thinking, "She's going to age very well."

Oh how wrong I was.

Yet, in spite of what she's done to her face, she is still a formidable talent. She wiped the floor with Drew Barrymore in "Grey Gardens," and I'm glad she won that Golden Globe. It was well deserved.

I agree with all the posters who've mentioned 70s era Faye Dunaway. She was the epitome of beauty circa "Chinatown," "Network," and "3 Days of the Condor." There was something very exotic about her look back then, almost slightly Eurasian. That seemed to fade during the 80s, and then I suspect she started dabbling with surgery around the time of "Don Juan Demarco," and then, as we all know, she reaaallly dove off the deep end and now resembles the crypt keeper.

Here's Faye winning her Oscar. Total natural beauty, it doesn't even look like she brushed her hair, but she's still gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 14101/01/2011

Disagree with them NOT having an arrangement. Of course they have one but there's still tons of jealousy. And besides she met Sam when he was married to O-Lan, he traded up to Lange, and continued to have zillions of flings.

by Anonymousreply 14201/02/2011

I still love Sam- Love him!

by Anonymousreply 14301/03/2011

I disagree, Faye's beauty started to fade in the late 70's. She was most beautiful in the Bonnie and Clyde era. She looks like a drunk in R141's post.

by Anonymousreply 14401/03/2011

Dianne kay was goregous!

by Anonymousreply 14504/16/2011

"Is it a crime to look at Lange?" bump

by Anonymousreply 14604/18/2011

bump

by Anonymousreply 14712/29/2011

Dianne Kay was way hotter than jessica

by Anonymousreply 14812/29/2011

Excuse me,

by Anonymousreply 14912/29/2011

[quote]nooooooo....like po white trash. po face.

Replying to a post already a year old, but hat's not what "po-faced" means. It means you always have a sour look on your face. Bitch-face, like Lisa Marie Presley. It has nothing to do with "poor."

by Anonymousreply 15012/29/2011

Watching Cape Fear circa 1991. Se looks old over 20 years ago! And she had super short hair - she looked bad.

She peaked in the 70s/80s.

by Anonymousreply 15101/01/2012

Lange was amazing in "Cape Fear". How she was not nominated for that role is beyond me (mind you there were several stellar performances in the film).

I've never regarded Cher as a great beauty, but she is certainly gorgeous in this clip from the 60s. She also does a very good cover of "Alfie".

by Anonymousreply 15201/01/2012

I thought in her younger days she was attractive but not exceptionally beautiful. She had an off-kilter nose and crooked teeth; no, not what you'd call beautiful.

I never much liked her as an actress; her whispery, lisping voice always drove me up the wall. But since she's gotten old, I like her acting much better. She was great in "Grey Gardens" and very good in the tv remake of "Sybil."

by Anonymousreply 15301/01/2012

So the Daily Fail has an article about how "gracefully" Jessica Lange is aging. Fucking hilarious. How are they not aware that she's fucked up her face?

Ageing gracefully! Jessica Lange, 62, proves that not all actresses rely on Botox as she shows off her naturally flawless complexion

Thanks to the modern miracle that is Botox, it can be difficult to tell exactly how old some celebrities in Hollywood are.

But one actress who hasn't fallen victim to the lure of the wrinkle-removing treatment is Jessica Lange, who showed last night that she is more than happy to age both naturally and gracefully.

The 62-year-old actress, who has found fame in recent months thanks to her role in hit US TV show American Horror Story, displayed the fine lines and wrinkles on her face as she posed for photographers at an event celebrating the success of her series.

by Anonymousreply 15403/03/2012

I saw that article this morning and wondered if the Daily Mail had been paid by a publicist, or were just doing it for shit and giggles.

by Anonymousreply 15503/03/2012

Anyone remember Jessica's amazing performance in HBO's 'Normal' , around 2004 ? Played the religious wife of a man, in a small town , who decides he wants to be a woman (played by the great Tom Wilkenson). She was subtle in her transforming from a shocked, and horrified wife, to a supporting, caring, loving partner, who helps pick out her husband's dresses, and stays with him as he becomes a transexual. The last scene, where they're lying in bed together, and she asks to see his penis one last time, before the operation, was done so beautifully. Then she says " Tom . Sweet Tom. What we do for love" . It'll have you in tears.

by Anonymousreply 15603/03/2012

[quote]Lange was amazing in "Cape Fear". How she was not nominated for that role is beyond me (mind you there were several stellar performances in the film).

Agree. That film had some great acting moments by all the main actors. And I personally heard Scorsese's editor say that Jessica Lange is "a perfect combination of emotional and intellectual in an actor." If anyone is in a position to evaluate an actor's talent it is the person who sees all the footage, and crafts performances for living.

by Anonymousreply 15703/03/2012

OT, but thanks for mentioning Petulia and Julie Christie's sublime beauty in it, R70. It's one of my all-time favorite movies for all the reasons you mention. Richard Chamberlain was also at the absolute peak of his beauty there. Although the movie has dated, it's still eminently watchable, and is a fantastic reflection of SF/California life in the late as the 60's edged toward the 70's.

Back to topic: I think Lange in All That Jazz was indeed the embodiment of a certain type of female perfection. I don't see the need to rank her vs other beauties like Christie and Rampling. They were all absolutely gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 15803/03/2012

No one was more beautiful in the '70s and 80s than me, honey!

by Anonymousreply 15903/04/2012

Jessica Lange has always had an intelligent beauty in that she smolders from within. You never know what she might go off and do acting wise because of that.

by Anonymousreply 16003/04/2012

Funny how every mention of beauty - including the OP's opener - turns to something competitive.

You're ALL pretty, girls. Just in different ways.

Except you, Liza. You're what we call INTERESTING.

by Anonymousreply 16103/04/2012

jessica lange was very beautiful,hot and very very sexy especially in king kong-1976,all that jazz-1979,how to beat the high cost of living-1980,the postman always rings twice-1981(she was very very hot and sexy in this movie],i would say this movie and king kong still rank as her best work. there is no actress that could compare with her in the 1970's and 1980's.a few come close but they never had sexy roles like she did in king kong and the postmanalways rings twice. the few are michelle pfeiffer,dedee pfeiffer (MICHELLE'S SISTER),cheryl ladd,janet louise johnson,linda purl,erin gray,pamela sue martin,farrah fawcett,demi moore those where probably the one's that came the closest in the 1970's and 1980's

by Anonymousreply 16208/07/2012

Still amazing in Frances! Should have won for that bathroom scene alone.

by Anonymousreply 16308/07/2012

Great profile.

by Anonymousreply 16408/07/2012

[quote]Yet, in spite of what she's done to her face, she is still a formidable talent. She wiped the floor with Drew Barrymore in "Grey Gardens," and I'm glad she won that Golden Globe. It was well deserved.

Jessie won the EMMY. It was Drew who begged for and won the less-coveted GG.

by Anonymousreply 16508/07/2012

I love you, R159

Pam was and is a stunning woman. Jackie Brown is my favorite Tarantino film, just because she is such a pleasure to watch. She was almost fifty when that was made and she is GORGEOUS.

by Anonymousreply 16608/07/2012

Katherine Ross was always ugly.

by Anonymousreply 16708/07/2012

No way, r167. You are so wrong!

by Anonymousreply 16808/07/2012

The beauty of Katherine Ross was overshadowed by most of the female cast of "The Stepford Wives." But, she was actually a very pretty California casual beauty.

The 1970's Katherine Ross reminds me of Seal Beach, (Orange County) California at sunset. Waves crashing, wind blowing, sun setting natural beauty.

by Anonymousreply 16908/07/2012

We get it OP aka R71,42,160,157,etc. You love JL. She was ok in her heyday. If she has had work or tons of botox, it doesn't show well in that Zimbo picture. My mother is 69 and has less wrinkles.

[R131], i think your friend overreacted or maybe she was lit too. Who knows how many times Sam Shepared had some whore drive him home or lied about who did and JL knew the truth. If he cheated as much as posters here claim, she had an understandable reason to be hostile to any female bringing her drunk husband home. For your friend to yell out at them like that was ignorant.

Baryshnikov was/is ugly. His daughter is fair considering her dad looks like a frog.

I always thought Paula Prentiss was beautiful, smart, and witty. Never knew she had mental illness and tried to commit suicide during What's New Pussycat. Wasn't her character in that film also suicidal?

I think the gal that plays Don Draper's current wife on MadMen resembles PP in a way.

by Anonymousreply 17008/07/2012

Farrah or Loni could've fielded Lange's career based on looks. Jessica was always a brittle, scrawny WASP.

by Anonymousreply 17108/07/2012

Katherine was stunning in The Graduate!

by Anonymousreply 17208/07/2012

Young Linda Evans.

Elizabeth Montgomery was stunning!

by Anonymousreply 17308/07/2012

Jacqueline Bisset!

by Anonymousreply 17408/07/2012

R170, you meant "fewer" not "less". Learn English.

by Anonymousreply 17508/07/2012

[quote]We get it OP aka [R71],42,160,157,etc.

Well, I know my posts and I can tell you I was not responsible for all the ones you listed.

Is it hard to believe that more than two people can have the same opinion...

by Anonymousreply 17608/07/2012

R173 - Elizabeth was gorgeous. I thought she was more attractive at the end of Bewitched than at the beginning.

by Anonymousreply 17708/07/2012

Why did they switch Darrens?

by Anonymousreply 17808/07/2012

Regarding the fewer vs less thing..,I've been noticing this mistake more and more in the media, with many educated people saying "less" when they mean "fewer." The thing that pushed me over the edge was seeing it used incorrectly on actual official signage (I can't remember the context now). That made me start thinking that this error is evolving into being considered correct due to usage.

by Anonymousreply 17908/07/2012

I'm seeing and hearing it much more frequently, too, and it drives me mad. I corrected a deadspin blogger last week and he actually sent back a pretty nice email saying that he'd had no idea what the proper usage was and had only become a writer by accident. I really hope this doesn't move into accepted territory.

by Anonymousreply 18008/07/2012

Why did they film Frances so that it was so brown/green? Did they just use really cheap stock? It looks terrible.

by Anonymousreply 18108/08/2012

jessica lange was beautiful ,hot and sexy in the 1970' and 1980's with her perfect 36c-24-36 body figure frame.

by Anonymousreply 18201/29/2013

She did not have a 24 " waist.

by Anonymousreply 18301/29/2013

So, any nice Lange stories?

by Anonymousreply 18403/23/2013

The first hour of Frances, Jessica Lange was stunning...until the second hour when Jessica descends into her madness. Even looking like a mess, Lange was still gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 18503/23/2013

R184, not a 'nice' story, but an amusing one nonetheless.

[quote]Dino (De Laurentiis) had acquired the rights to King Kong and set John Guillermin to direct it. Guillermin was insistent they cast his girlfriend, the unknown Jessica Lange.  Dino was reluctant—after all, the budget was $24 million, a hefty amount in the mid-70s—not just because Lange was unknown, but because she wasn't buxom enough. In the end, Dino agreed to cast her and paid for breast augmentation.

[quote]It came time to shoot the second-most-important scene in the film—when Lange as Dwan takes a shower under a waterfall while sitting in the palm of King Kong's hand.  It was then that Italy's most legendary producer suddenly got a frantic call from the set in Hawaii. "Dino, Dino!" one of his minions cried into the phone.  "Jessica is refusing to take her tits out for the scene!"

[quote]"Whaddaya mean [italic]her[/italic] tits?" Dino screamed back in his heavily accented English.  "They’re [italic]my[/italic] tits!  I paid for them!  Tell her to take them out!"

by Anonymousreply 18603/23/2013

Oh, yeah, Dino de Laurentiis. Such a charmer.

Here's what Meryl Streep tells:

"She tells Entertainment Weekly magazine, "He said, 'Why did you send me this pig? This woman is so ugly... so I looked at him and I said, 'I'm very sorry that I disappoint you.' He was so used to treating girls like bimbos (and) never imagined that a blonde person could speak Italian."

by Anonymousreply 18703/23/2013

Thanks R186, I always thought her breast were real!

by Anonymousreply 18803/23/2013

Lange in 1972, pre-breast job:

by Anonymousreply 18903/23/2013

Wow, her doctor did a fabulous job!

by Anonymousreply 19003/23/2013

JL was very difficult to work with back in those days.

I hear she has mellowed out with time. She seems very bizarre in interviews though and talks in kind of an affected way.

Sometimes she is bloody brilliant but she can frequently chew the scenery which Streep rarely does.

I would like to see them together in a movie though.

I would also like to see Goldie Hawn have her comeback vehicle already. If Field has her Lincoln why can't GH get a shot at a prestige role?

by Anonymousreply 19103/24/2013

Yeaterday I was watching the Baz Luhrman Romeo and Juliet with Leo and Claire.

Diane Venora, atypically blonde, plays Lady Capulet as a southern belle. She looks and sounds almost exactly like Jessica Lange; it plays like an homage-to-Lange performancee.

by Anonymousreply 19203/24/2013

I beg your pardon. Miss Cillian Murphy, today, is more beautiful!

by Anonymousreply 19303/24/2013

Frances was filmed in a sepia tone. Mel Brooks company produced it.

by Anonymousreply 19403/24/2013

Lange was very slender on [r189]'s link. I have no idea if her breasts are fake or not but it's possible that the breasts got larger naturally (weight gain, childbirth, aging) since she didn't go from flat chested to comic book boobs (like Salma Hayek and "I was praying for bigger boobs". Yes, bitch, PRAYING to your plastic surgeon).

by Anonymousreply 19503/24/2013

This doesn't look like a boob job to me. Lange in King Kong lying down:

by Anonymousreply 19603/24/2013

It's hard to imagine Meryl Streep in discussions for the 1976 Faye Wright in "King Kong." I always thought she remembered this story wrong, and it was actually casting for "King of the Gypsies," where Susan Sarandon got the role, where this incident happened.

I loved Jessica around the "Tootsie" and "Frances" era, and she made some good films like "Sweet Dreams" and "Music Box."

My memory could be wrong, but I always thought that she and Michelle Pfeiffer jumped into plastic surgery too soon. Meryl showed that you could be box office in your 40's, and look like you were in your 40's. But they had already started doing facelifts and did not get as much work.

For Jessica, I hope the recent television success spills over into better roles.

by Anonymousreply 19703/24/2013

Sorry, meant Fay Wray.

by Anonymousreply 19803/24/2013

I think it's great that Streep and Lange (and Sarandon and Weaver, etc.) were able to rise above the chauvinist bullshit of people like De Laurentiis early in their careers to become the respected and admired elder stateswomen of their profession. No producer now would ever tell Streep that she's too ugly for the part, or tell Lange that she's too skinny or fat or flat-chested (well, I should hope not).

R191, She's a shy and private person and hates talking about herself, so it isn't easy for her to appear naturally effortless and eloquent at these public appearances. I don't think she sounds affected, just a little awkward. Lange has admitted in the past to having long depressive episodes, so perhaps her earlier difficulty was due to her erratic mental state.

by Anonymousreply 19903/24/2013

The best Jessica Lange interviews are, ironically, with Charlie Rose. I say ironically, because he is a shitty interviewer.

by Anonymousreply 20003/24/2013
Need more help? Click Here.